Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado - Continued XV

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I didnt post those pics. I only posted pics of my truck (same place different name RYANBAB)

All the work was done by Kyle aka BCO. I just relayed the info. He and others a huge help

Ryan
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    Ryan -
    Thanks for the correction.

Kyle - Thanks for taking the time to post those pics.

My thanks to everyone who posts here, I've learned a lot reading these posts. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

John
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    This will bring up a lot of older posts on oil filters. This subject was widely discussed, I think, back in June. But to make it short, I live on a sandy bottom road and went with the AC DuraGruad Gold. UPF-59. They are a full synthetic media filter and similar to HD truck filters in construction. The most important filter is the Air Filter however as that is where the engine injests the airborn dirt particles that may get to the oil. The Oil Filter is a safe guard for the lube system. In the "olden" days, oil used to sludge and an oil filter was necessary to remove those particles. Today's engines are sealed up much better and so the oil filter isn't nearly as critical.

my $.02

matthew
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    a 2500 should haul about 3500 no problem....even more...

a 3500 should haul 4000 or so?

ex, cabs haul less than reg cabs..

- Tim
  • iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    I sometimes hear a rattle coming from the passenger side dash are while driving between 60 and 70 mph. 2000 GMC 1500 Z71. I have a lund bug guard. I can't tell if it's from the dash area or possibly the window molding as discussed here.
    How where you able to isolate the problem to the molding and what was the fix for it?
    Thanks,
    Randy
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    i taped my window trim down with blue painters
    tape and then drove the truck at 70 to see if the

noise diminished. it did, so then based on info
    that the guys here gave me, i went to my dealers
    glass shop and they gave me a partial tube of
    their urethane sealant to adhere the rubber trim
    to the winshield. worked like a charm. some guys
    have also pointed out that using urethane sealant

may make it impossible to remove the rubber trim
    if you should need to replace the windshield. you

could also try silicone or double-sided tape as
    has also been suggested. hope this helps you out.

...red
  • wight1wight1 Member Posts: 218
    sorry for the delay in responding. was out all weekend.

Yes, my '82 S-10 and my '90 Doge both burned a little oil during the break-in period, about a quart if I remember right. On the wheel bearings, there's nothing to repack on the Silverados - it's a permanently sealed hub, similar to what Dodge is now using.
  • bcobco Member Posts: 756
    john -
    no sweat. had fun doing it. as ryan stated, there were a lot more folks involved way back when when we were hashing that one out. LOL to think about it. couple folks got sick of seeing the word "zerk" for awhile. if you ever get on there again, leave me a note on the address book.

all -
    gonna post some new zaino pics up there today. used the dawn, z1, z2 (for clear coats) method. i'll let you decide...

ryan -
    thanks for backing me up while i was out waxing... ;)

kyle
    I hauled 6 loads of crushed limestone in my old 88 1/2 ton before I sold it....and that was about 2700 Lbs or so a load...

I would have to say don't do it all the time....but it seemed OK...and the current owner has no problems...

- Tim
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    aka zerk master, ha ha have fun waxing. btw did

you also get the z5? it really helps to eliminate

whatever fine scratches that may be on the
    surface. just my .02 in tryin' ta help ya.

...red

(Click for bigger Picture)

(Kyle made me do it!!...heheheeh)

- Tim
    Good one tim very funny
    yeah...used three coats of z5 to get it where i wanted. now the z2 just makes it glow. i'm having trouble uploading the pic to picture trail right now...not sure why. keeps wanting to make it look like an acid trip or something. not sure...we'll see what happens...

bco
  • jauto98jauto98 Member Posts: 77
    hey ryanbab, saw your pics, cool truck... I have a question on your bedliner, you said you armoured all it. Did you use the armoured-all protectant (the one used to protect the interior) or some other cleaner. I also have the rhino sprayed-liner, though its on a 97 sonoma and its looking quite dirty. What are the affects if any, will it damage the liner or make it slippery... thanks, hopefully in the future i might get a sierra/silverado... anyway.. thanks
    I used the regular armor all (interior and exterior) i guess. I had a huge gallon i just squirted some in the back not very much i didnt soak it just enough to cover it. Then i took a towel and scrubed it all over. I dont think itll affect it much ill probably only do it once a yr its still holding a very nice black looking color. AT first it did make it slippery. But it is fine now after a few days in the sun.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    than the dashboard....cuz that armorall causes the dashboard to crack. Voted top ten worst product of the decade....to think I used to use that damn thing on my '76 Cutlass. Never again, ever...
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Check the sticker on the inside of your glove compartment.

If I were regularly hauling, I'd shoot for around what the sticker says or maybe 25% over. This will give you maximum life of your truck's frame. The weight on the sticker is below what stress the frame would support for infinite fatigue cycles. What ME's call the fatigue plateau.

Just like reloads for a gun, you can occasionally fire really hot loads (approaching proof loads) but for repetative use that would not lead to fatigue failure, one must use a much lighter load.

If you really wanna haul alot of water, buy a dual axle contractors trailer, and put the big tank on it.
  • xringxring Member Posts: 129
    If you go the trailer route, you may want to give serious consideration to getting a trailer with brakes.

Just my thoughts.

John
  • genea3genea3 Member Posts: 15
    I had the same problem with the window trim. I also isolated the problem by using the blue painters tape. Then I took it back to the dealer and told them to fix it. The service dept. gave me a little bit of a hard time but I called the salesman and he took care of it.
    They resealed the trim and used the urethane adhesive, like Red talked about, and that took care of it.
    Hope this helps.
    Gene
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    No pickup trucks in Europe. It isn't just the price of gas, it's the narrow streets too. The best vehicle for towing seems to be a Volvo or Mercedes sedan with a hitch. They all seem to have 'em. Didn't notice anyone towing boats or motorcycles, usually just street vending carts.

After touring a bunch of cities on foot with my brother, I never let go of his shirt sleeve. He has the Garmin E-map, preloaded with European waypoints, restaurants etc. I tried to buy one, but with strength of American dollar, they are very expensive over the pond, twice as much. His American Express card never worked in an ATM. I had no problem with MC or Visa.

I'm glad to be back. It's nice again to look at a street corner curb, or sidewalk with no one standing on it. By comparison to the crowds in Amsterdam and Paris, 3 million +, my local Wal Mart seems asleep. $3 here will buy about 5-10 times what you pay for food over there, but they get subsidized health care, housing, education etc. Whether or not it's worth it, take a look at the suicide rate...no comment. Glad to be home. Wasted no time buying some toys...Garmin E-trek Summit, Delorme Topo USA 2.0 software, and Leupold Vari-X III 3-9X40 rifle scope. Thankfully, no more museums, palaces or priceless works of art to bother with here.
    Good ole' USA!
    - Tim
    Thanks Tim!
    here or there?.....sounds like here

- Tim
  • mblrdsmblrds Member Posts: 41
    Hi Folks,

A real quick question.

I got a '00 GMC Sierra, ext.cab 4 dr, with the 5.3 engine, Z71 (so shoot me, it's not a Rado). I also got a buddy that's a Amsoil dealer and he says he'll let me have his oil at cost. He brags that synthetic will make my engine run cooler (I like my engine running hot, but that's a different topic) and increase my gas mileage (or I don't pay him anything).
    My question. Will I see a improvement on my gas mileage as my buddy claims? Has anybody out there seen an increase since switching to synth? Ok, two questions! I average 15.5 mpg (overall).

Thanks Ya'll,
    Mitch
    in theory...synth is supposed to lower temps...but under normal driving...I have seen no changes...hell ..22K miles and the temp guage has never read anything different in my 2K 2500 LT.

Some say they have noticed MPG diffs....but I really don't think I have?....I switched at about 4K miles and then engine may not have been fully broke by then?....it's fine to use it that soon....but I did notice a small increase in MPG after 10K or so....maybe due to break in?...or perhaps the synth...but I doubt it

Good luck

...even if you don't get either one....the faster flow upon start up...warm or cold is worth it to me....after all...that's where the wear is..

- Tim
  • pjcavpjcav Member Posts: 80
    Hey kyle, when u replaced that one hard to get to zerk, i was curious are they metric or sae? planning on doing the same thing.
    pat
  • mblrdsmblrds Member Posts: 41
    Thanks Tim for your fast reply. Will check back later to see if anybody else has replied.
    Been checking up on synths and was wondering if the additional expense is offset by improved gas mileage and/or less wear and tear (meaning (hopefully) less breakdown). Just trying to justify paying up to five times for the synths.
    This buddy of mine is also big on using a oil damppened prefilter with the air filter, like you would find on lawn mowers and such. He also has on his vehicles a high pressure oil filtering system (in place of the low pressure filtering that's factory) where he doesn't have to change oil, just top off when low.

M.
  • msb19981998msb19981998 Member Posts: 15
    Well Guys, its been a while since I have posted. (Geez... Last time I was here it was Silverado V !?)

Thought I would drop in my one year report on my 1999 Z-71 LS X-Cab with the 5.3 and Auto with 19000K miles...

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!

No complaints about it. Had one funny squeek for about 2 days after I bought it. It dissappeared and has never come back. I have the manual seats and every once in a while the passenger side seatbelt hangs up. Other than that, it is great. I had a new Ford Ranger once and it had too many issues to list...

I live in North Texas... The same North Texas that is getting rain today for the first time in 72 days, (yeah... that wasn't a typo... 72 friggin hot, what did we do wrong, days! We also had 48 days of 100+ weather for good measure. Can you say, "Where the *&$% is Fall???) I have wondered what the heat would do to the truck, but it is still a gem. No fading colors, overheating, goofy suspension, bad rides... nada.

I am getting 17 around town and 18-19 on the road. During one long trip to GA I even put a whole tank that averaged a little over 20. Truck uses no oil. The A/C has been non-stop for 8 months out of the year; no problems. This truck works on the weekends and its bed gets used; wood, rocks, equipment, beer cans, etc. I've had a Rhino liner from day one (only cost me $275 Ryan LOL) and it still is holding up great. The black does look a little grey after a while, but 303 keeps it looking good.

I am a civil War reenactor and my baby has seen 6 events. It still turns heads when I pull up. The 4wd makes all the difference in the world when the rain starts falling and the faint of heart start freaking out over the mud. This truck also sees the "country" three weekends out of four and spends mucho time off the pavement. Still rides great.

When I first came to the board there were many naysayers about "The Truck" (remember F150?) After driving mine a year I am very pleased.

Hope you guys are having the same kind of luck!!!

Matt "Sleepy Bear" VanHoose

PS - Tim, Quad, Ryan... Good to see you guys are still posting. Enjoyed your posts then and always learned from them. Is Cindy still around?

PSS - Ryan, congrats on your truck. It looks good and you should be proud. Just one question... "What's up with the Indigo paint and the Black Fender Flares???" LOL just kidding. Its a great rig...
  • iwactiwact Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the tips on the window moldings.
    I put some tape on it and made a 200 mile round trip. No problems. Now I'll remove it and see if it comes back. Then i've got to get it fixed.
    Here's a link to a couple pictures, I've never used it so let me know if you have any problems with it. I've got a Leer on order, I'll post more pictures when it's here if you like.

http://community.webshots.com/user/iwact

Thanks
    Randy
    iwact "I want a chevy truck"
    How much was the connect time on the ship? Something like $1/min? I'm sure you're glad to be back home with that trusty 'puter...

Dean
    Out of curiosity, how much of an increase in mileage did your friend say that you would see? Did he also say that you would have to change the gear oil in the rear end? What about the trans fluid? Usually when they make statements about increased mileage, it's with the complete package of lubricants being exchanged with Amsoil products. For myself and my Royal Purple syn, I noticed no increase in mileage.

Dean
    $1 min at the ships internet cafe. Charged right to your cabin account! No disc drive access, so you have to type each message with keystrokes. Got 2 movies each day, running continuously, CNN Europe, occasionally got CBS evening news, BBC, Instant News (tm), (wasn't very instant, sometimes 2 days late.) Also had a channel with live video feed from the bow, and a continuously GPS updated real time map of the ships current position, heading and speed. Satellite phone in your room, $9.50 minute. Room to room calling is free. You get voice mail box, automated wake up.
    calls, I guess you're kind of forced to take a vacation...
    Glad to hear all the positive feedback. Also have you been to Tims site? Well i signed on to the live chat last night and plane janes name was on there but she had left. So to answer your question she is around just laying low i guess.

MSB one question though where do you buy your 303? Only place i have seen it is performance products. Thanks

Also everyone i know exactly where my dash rattle is and im gonna rip (sounds kinda scary) it apart on friday probably.

Ryan
    i wanna say it's 6 mm. but i'd have to go home and check...gimme a day or two and i'll let you know...

bco
    DID they fix your picture trail yet?

Ryan
    welcome back...sounds like you had a good time, but are happy to be back. good deal...

bco
    Cindy still e-mails me once in a while..she is doing good..her 2500 has about 27K miles and doing fine. I told her to stop by my site once ina while Ryan.
    Glad to hear from ya

- Tim
    You watch the simpsons? Well last night for the 15th time they played the "Frank Grimes" Episode. He is a nuclear engineer or something and works at the power plant. Homer drives him nuts. People like homer he has everything. Frank is pretty much so overrun with jealousy that it kills him in the end. Homer wins a kids design contest and he goes running around trying to be like homer and grabs a live power line in the plant. He dies all because of jealousy. Seems to get bent out of shape just like F150. Thus the name i came up with for him.

Ryan

Damn cindy has 27K mls she never gets outta that truck does she haha
    Its exactly right its so him. I couldnt beleive it when i was watching it. All homer needed to have was a silverado and it would have been him to a T.

Ryan
    gotcha. LOL...sounds 'bout right.

bco
    I think im gonna buy a helms manual. What is the number for the manual. (part number not phone number) thanks.

Ryan
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    303 is available from Camping World:

http://www.campingworld.com/

That Frank Grimes name is the best thing you've posted this year! Keep up the good work!!!

Later,

Mike L
    Thanks Mike i think ill order some tonight. Cheaper than per prod too.

Ryan
    the part no. for the helms manual is GMT00CK8.

The link to order it is:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?Style=&Sku=GMT00CK8&itemtype=N&mscsid=MWHJEVT3H0S92MLQ00A3HVE05TDL22N5

But why order, just post the questions and we can interpret and answer for you. It's not like we would steer you in the wrong direction....LOL

Dean
  • fullsizefullsize Member Posts: 14
    Does GM plan to fight the F-150 SuperCrew with a four door version of Sierra or Silverado? Anyone?
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    Nice Pics. I have the same truck but the Chevy version. I also have Westin bars but I got the black it looks like your are the chrome. I am setting up a web page and I'll post the link here when It's done. I want to have a place for people to post pics of their trucks. I am working on the message board now. I had a question for you, the bed rail caps, are those the GM ones? I saw then on the GM parts page and they look pretty nice. I want to put some on my truck but I'm not sure which ones I want.
    the HD line....in 2500 and 3500 Crew cab short boxes...

- Tim
    Did you have a question on air springs?
This discussion has been closed.