Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda CR-V Real World MPG

Comments

• drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    Since MY '02 every CR-V sold has a 15.3 US gallon capacity. Some may think that is "smallish". To me it seems correct for a vehicle this size.
  • saabgirlsaabgirl Posts: 184
    From November thru February, I've averaged 23.5 mpg in my '05 CR-V EX AWD during a mild New England winter. The low was 19.3 during a cold snap in December that had a lot of mall crawling and drives through Christmas tree farms. It's been about 50/50 suburban running about and highway on 87 Shell and dino oil. The car now has approx 7500 miles.

Since MY '02 every CR-V sold has a 15.3 US gallon capacity. Some may think that is "smallish". To me it seems correct for a vehicle this size.

Oops. You are correct as to fuel capacity. Pardon my transposition. I think preference on this matter depends on driving patterns. My second vehicle is a 4 cyl '99 Saab 9.5 which gets about the same mpg as the Honda CR-V. However, the Saab tank holds 19.8 gallons. Granted the Saab is a "cruiser" rather than a "runabout," but the extra range is nice to have on a long trip. For me, two more gallons in the CR-V tank would be nice.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 123,000
    The question is....how much can you put in it?

run it to the low-fuel light... then run it on down to E.. then run it down until the needle has left E behind..

I've still never been able to put more than 12.8 gallons in it... I get the feeling that 2 gallons of that "capacity" is above the fuel filler pipe.. lol.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• drive62drive62 Posts: 637
    I know this is an exaggeration to some extent but the principle holds true. The extra weight of the larger tank and the gas in it would negatively effect your mileage. So it seems to me it's a trade off. Have a larger capacity tank so you get more miles out of said tank but your overall mileage will be somewhat lower.

Because of it's interior size and other features I think people forget that the CR-V is a small, entry level SUV, and it has the mechanicals to go along with it.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 4,098
    "The question is....how much can you put in it? "

14.8 gallons on my 2003. Never want to be that low again - in any vehicle!

Only one I ever got lower was an '89 Hyundai Excel - I had .3 gallons left when I filled it up... in the desert too. Stupid to let a car get that low just because I missed a turn off for gas.
    run it to the low-fuel light... then run it on down to E.. then run it down until the needle has left E behind..
    I've still never been able to put more than 12.8 gallons in it

First, I salute your determination to get to the bottom, so to speak, of the fuel capacity question. You prompted me to check my vehicle log. Yesterday, with the needle near E, I filled up and, lo!, it took only 10.8 gallons to fill the 15.3 gallon tank, using the automatic shutoff on the pump. I flipped through the pages and discover that the absolute max I ever pumped into the tank, with the red warning light on, was 12.6 gallons, a couple tenths behind you.

I opened the 2005 Owner's Manual to look for an answer to the relatively generous reserve capacity. I think I found it on page 62 in the Gauges section: "Avoid driving with an extremely low fuel level. Running out of fuel could cause the engine to misfire, damaging the catalytic converter."
    Very true... you should never try to run your vehicle out of fuel (or nearly out).

And..generally.. I never do... Today, I had to fill up at 276 miles... The light had been on for about 20 miles, and I was about to get on the freeway for an 18 mile ride home... A little above E.. 12 gallons on the nose... 23 MPG..

I'm relatively happy with that mileage... Just think, if I was able to use 14 gallons of the 15.3 gal. capacity, I could have put off buying gas another day... and driven another 46 miles..

Edmunds Moderator

• Well I took a little road trip this weekend, and calculated actual MPG with my fill-ups. The first fill-up (filled 8.69 gal after driving 156.9 mi) netted 18 mpg. This was city driving, some of which in sub-zero temp, always idling the car for 5+ minutes before driving. The second fill-up (filled 11.62 gal after driving 266.4 mi) netted 23 mpg. This was all interstate driving at 70 mph. I am happy with the 23, and hope the 18 city mpg will be better next go-around. I am surprised at how early the gas light comes on. My second fill up was after the light came on. But it makes sense after reading the recent posts. Thanks!
    :)
  • dromedariusdromedarius Posts: 307
    I've read you only need to warm your vehicle up for 30 seconds. Anything longer than that is a waste, and it can actually be hard on the engine if you let it run for too long. Of course, having heated seats on our SE helps!

:blush:

We generally get 21-23 MPG with about 8000 miles on our '05. Most of that is short trips in town by my wife, to and from work, which is about two miles through town each way. We got as low on 17 MPG and as high as 25 MPG. We have yet to drive it when it has been broken in during the non-winter months, though, so I'm expecting to see some better tanks this coming year. Also, I seem to get about 2-3 MPG better than when my wife drives, but we're working on that.

:)

PS - My 1990 Ford F150 is getting somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-10 MPG this winter, or lower...

:sick:
  • yhoyho Posts: 4
    My driving is pretty much the same everyday.

I do not know any of you try to use diferent gasoline, but if I use Exxon/Mobil Supreme gasoline I got around 22 - 23 MPG, if I use Exxon/Mobil Plus gasoline I got around 25 MPG.

Any body know why? appreciate for the answer
  • lolsenlolsen Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2006 Honda CRV EX about a week ago. We took a long trip, mostly highways, and averaged about 20mpg. I had expected better. Should the mileage improve as the car gets broken in?
  • marg2265marg2265 Posts: 9
    Hi, I have read throughout the different forums on the CRV that your mpg will improve as you gain a little mileage on the car. I'm no expert though! :)
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    I purchased my 2006 Honda CRV EX about a week ago. We took a long trip, mostly highways, and averaged about 20mpg. I had expected better. Should the mileage improve as the car gets broken in?

Did you follow the break in procedure as per OWNER'a MANUAL?
  • dan bitmandan bitman Posts: 158
    this is waaythen it's advertised.See posting #101
    Are you sure about the computations?
    dan
  • joeyd2joeyd2 Posts: 12
    I've been tracking mpg using a spread sheet. My 2000 EX was 25.7 for 90,000 miles. It would vary some with each fill up. I would normally fill at about 320 miles. Some time I would forget and have gone 360 miles. I just bought a 2006 SE and hope for similar results.
  • win1win1 Posts: 1
    I sure this is a crv 4+4 problem!My friend has a honda accord and 38mpg(uk) is no problem where as i can only get 26mpg (uk+2ltr) the dealer in Telford (uk) told me to take it on a good run but i then informed him i'd been to the Alp's in France and again in Italy (1450 mile round trip)he was short on follow up's. But to be honest it's one of the few car's you can do 750 miles in a day and still be talking to wife and kid's !
  • joeyd2joeyd2 Posts: 12
    I filled the new se at 282 miles. with 11.6 gallons. that is about 24.2 mpg. I hope it gets better. My 2000 has a stick and the se is auto. I noticed with the auto it is very easy to rev 4, 5, even 6K. I suspect this is why there is such a big difference in reported mpg.
    This time I ran until the needle actually began to drop south of the little red line above E, and the passenger seat began to emit a loud noise --"Get gas NOW! Get gas NOW!"

So after 325 miles my 15.3 gallon tank took 12.8 with the pump nozzle on the auto setting. That's 25.4 mpg. So I had 60+ miles to go, not considering the racket in the passenger seat.
    Wow.. you did really well.. I'm usually pretty happy if I can just get to 300 miles..

My passenger seat woke up one night at 2:00 AM, with the amber light on, and the needle below "E"... Next exit with an open gas station was 20 miles away, so I got to listen to it for quite awhile...

I did set a personal record that night.. 5 hrs,40 minutes.. 420 miles... with zero stops.. '99 Honda Accord 4-cylinder..

I've had higher average speeds, but never made it that far, or that amount of time, without stops for gas, food, etc..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Moderator

• martyhmartyh Posts: 11
    I got my CRV in May of last year (05). I am averaging about 22 around town with or w/out A/C. Highway MPG is about 24 or 25. Best mileage was on a winter road trip from SC to Maine. Once we got out of the mountains in NC/SC/Va MPG averaged 26 or 27 - all hwy. Best tank was 29 MPG somewhere between Boston and Portland Me. We were fully loaded family and cargo, but since it was winter, not running the A/C. Overall, in one YR somewhat disappointed with the gas mileage since it is a 4 cyl and I drive it easy. But still better than other SUVs. My father has a Pilot and his average is 18 around town and 22 on the road. Only "problems" so far are some rattles, would definitely buy again. Likely to trade up for an '07 CRV or the next Gen Pilot.
  • I am pretty disappointed too. I had low mileage for first 8000 miles till my first servicing. Average was @ 20-21 miles. I mostly drive 40 miles a day with 34 miles on freeway and it would drive approximately 280 miles in 12.6 before the low fuel indicator would turn up. After first servicing (oil change and wheel rotation) the mileage improved a little bit by 20 miles for tank. Now it ran 302 miles in @ 12.7 gallons. However I now notice that the SUV is a lot noisier and there is a rattling or waggling noise in front wheels. It’s at the dealership right now and I am waiting for results to be better. It dose not drive smooth and silent like any other Accord or Pilot. Even a Pontiac G6 (V6) impresses me more in terms of mileage (29 – 34 highways) and drive now.
  • tcasboytcasboy Posts: 214
    I just checked my fuel log for my latest mpg numbers and I have gotten a low of 22.5 and a high of 25 for MPG so far, with a few tanks at 24-25 on the highway. Normal running around mileage is the 22-23 range. I checked my tires and although the rec on the doorjam says 29, I ran them at about 32. I actually upped them to 36 in the front and 34 in the back today to see if maybe that will help. My CRV has about 3600 miles on it, still breaking it in. Hopefully the mileage will come up a bit over time.

TB
  • I just bout my CRV a month ago. I have been tracking my MPG very close, driving consistantly 50% city and 50% highway. I have the EX 4wd 5 speed manual. My first two tanks were a little low, averaging 23 MPG. My guess is that it was because of engine break in, and possibly the first tank of 87 octain the dealership put in after the purchase, because my last two tanks have averaged 26 and 27 MPG respectivly. I have over 1,000 miles on it now and I use 89 octain, the 89 seems to give the engine a little more punch. To me it's well worth the extra 2 bucks at the pump. I'm extremely pleased with the performance and MPG of this SUV with the 160 HP 4 cylinder engine. Good job Honda!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    I just bout my CRV a month ago. I have been tracking my MPG very close, driving consistantly 50% city and 50% highway. I have the EX 4wd 5 speed manual. My first two tanks were a little low, averaging 23 MPG. My guess is that it was because of engine break in, and possibly the first tank of 87 octain the dealership put in after the purchase, because my last two tanks have averaged 26 and 27 MPG respectivly. I have over 1,000 miles on it now and I use 89 octain, the 89 seems to give the engine a little more punch. To me it's well worth the extra 2 bucks at the pump. I'm extremely pleased with the performance and MPG of this SUV with the 160 HP 4 cylinder engine. Good job Honda!

If you are really seeing a difference in power going from 87 octane to 89 octane, take it back to the dealer and have them service it. The engine in the CR-V has no capability to extract more power from higher octane. The reason there are different grades of gasoline is because there are engines with different compression ratios. A similar engine in the Acura TSX which has 11:1 compression ratio will produce more power using 93 octane, and will revert to lower power production when lower octane fuel is used. CR-V has a low compression engine, 9.5:1 or something. It is just INCAPABLE of extracting more power out of higher octane fuel.

Octane rating is the "detonation" rating. Higher octane means that gasoline will not self ignite (detonate) prematurely. High octane gasoline in by itself has no more power than lower octane gasoline.

Save your money and use 87 octane gas.
  • leptarleptar Posts: 5
    I don't drive with the intention of conserving gas, but last fill up i decided to take a peek at my MPG. I reset the trip odometer and at 270 the light came on and when i got to the gas station it was at 276 so i filled the tank until it stopped and it took 11.521 gallons so i got 23.95 mpg. To me that is pretty good. I average about 70ish on the highway and i don't pull a sunday driver when i'm coming off the ramps as i hate it when others do that and travel about a mile to get up to the speed limit.
    For this tank i am going to stay under 70 and take it a little easier off the ramps when i can just to see what i could actually get for MPG if i really tried.

Should also mention that i only have about 1500 miles on this thing.
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    Our 03 CR-V is a hoot to drive around town, However, when we take a trip we usually go in the 03 Pilot. It is heavier, seats feel more comfy, and with the two of us we can average 26-28 mpg if we run the posted speed limits.

We recently took a trip in her 03 CR-V automatic,4wd. Overall the trip was as comfortable as it would have been in the Pilot, although a bit nosier partly due to the Bridgestone duellers. Filled up at the same pump both times and the trip yielded 30.7 MPG. This was in North Georgia and the road was either uphill or down hill with very little flat ground. Cruise was set at 2500 RPM which was about 67 mph.

She gets 19-21 around town and I get 23-25 on the same roads in the CR-V. I start off with a light foot so that the shifts at near 2,500 rpm. She starts off so that the rear dips down a little and the shifts at about 3500 rpm. I let off the gas when I see the stop ahead, she likes to run right up to it before letting off and has to use the brakes a lot harder.

When I see a stop sign ahead with cars waiting to proceed I begin to slow down so that hopefully I will have to stop only once. She runs right up behind the last car and has to start and stop several times. Different driving habits can make a significant difference in fuel mileage.

When a Pilot is delivered to the dealer there are several things the "GET READY" department is supposed to do. One is very important for fuel mileage. This one also needs to be done whenever the battery has been disconnected for any reason. I don't know if it applies to the CR-V, but it can't hurt anything to do it.

Below is how it is done as I remember it.

Be sure radio, DVD, lights, AC and every thing else is turned off.

With the car cold like it has been sitting for several hours, disconnect the battery. Wait a couple of minutes and re-connect it. Leave the hood up!

Start the car, let it idle. Do not touch the gas peddle for any reason. Get out and watch the radiator fan. It will eventually come on. Then it will shut off. A while later it will come on again. Let it idle for about 10 additional minutes after the fan turns off that 2nd time. It may or may not come on during that last 10 minutes.

Turn the ignition off. Now re start the car reset the radio and any other things that may have lost memory.

It is called the "Idle Learn Proceedure" and can be found here: http://www.hondalac.com/service/Bulletins/x02-029e.pdf

I don't understand why this procedure does anything other than help Idle, but it does.I got this from a Pilot forum and it helped cars that were getting terrible mileage. One soccer mom that was complaining about her mileage, got her husband to do the procedure and her mileage increased 5-6 MPG across the board and she started getting the same as the rest of us. Others had similar results.

Kip
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Posts: 138
    I just bought an '03 LX 4x4 with 31,000 miles on it. I love it, but have been told by others in town with the same vehicle almost same year that they get 26 MPG overall. So far I've gotten about 21 city and 24.5 highway. I'm a very conservative driver. Am I reading that it's better to fill up with an almost empty tank? Should I be getting better mileage or does the 4x4 cause a problem?
  • kipkkipk Posts: 1,576
    26 mpg overall sounds a bit high unless it is a very rural area and most driving is back roads and highway with little traffic or traffic lights.

22-23 would be more common for the average driver.

Try the above procedure and see what happens. At worse nothing will change. At best your mileage will increase.

Is your car an automatic?

Kip
    Kip, yes it's an automatic. Also, this is a rural area. Not many traffic lights and some very hilly roads with 25 MPH speed limits. Not necessary to get onto a highway unless you go to the nearest large town. Highest speed limit in town is 35.
    I'm sorry, I had to say I laughed about this! Thank you.