Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    Has your dealer confirmed that he can get you a white one, because they are going to be discontinued either permanently or temporarily until the interior color issue is sorted out. The likely reeason for this is that the Amazon Green exterior has been negatively received by the dealers, but it has been equipped with an olive interior just like the white. To cancel that Amazon green exterior color would have only left the white exterior with the olive interior. One exterior color may not be enough to justify the production of the olive interior, and therefore they have cancelled them both at this time. The other possiblilty is that they will both return with a different interior, but it is still not determined what the next step will be. If you are wanting a white one, I would seriously consider getting a hold of it as soon as you can, assuming you like the olive interior (which, BTW, does look great with the white).
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    I have heard the same thing.....a couple of post up someone said that there was a problem with the webpage.....but I called American Honda and they told me that they had stopped production on the 06 White Pilots....wouldn't tell me why.....but if I was a bettin' man I would say there is something wrong with the olive leather.
    You do not see to many cars with that color of leather...other than the ridgeline.
    I did see one at my local dealership though....it was an 4x4 EX-L....actually sat in it and look at the leather pretty close....still on the fence whether I like it or not.
    Kind of reminds me of aligators.....
  • Only time will show. I do not have the VIN for my car, so everything may change. My dealer has not been concerned yet. I will update you as soon as possible. I would not mind getting saddle leather.
  • aec1aec1 Posts: 21
    I also spoke w/customer service at Honda today. The guy I spoke to said Taffeta White and Amazon Green are still available and in production and that the problem is with the website. It will take an announcement on their web page or confirmation from a dealership to know the true status of further production of Green or White. Obviously, their own customer service reps (or at least some of them) do not know what Honda is doing with these two colors. :confuse:
  • pftpft Posts: 6
    FYI, the Amazon Green and White colors are back on the Honda website as of this evening. Probably just a website glitch, and not a discontinuation of these colors or olive interior.

Who said that Honda told them these colors were being discontinued?
  • nmpnmp Posts: 19
    Lots of rumors around this, but sadly very little info. So here we go again:

In 2003 the MDX received a new "compact" transmission. I believe the 2005+ Odyssey shares this design. However, the general concensus is that the Pilot soldiers on with the same potentially troublesome transmission (with whatever TSB patches applied).

On another board, someone provided actual screenshots of the exploded view of both the MDX and Pilot transmissions from 2003...sure enough, the MDX version was different and smaller. I haven't seen Honda mention that they've changed the Pilot's transmission since that year. If anyone has info, do tell.
    Aw....no! Now you have gone and done it!
    My wife wanted the white one....but when we called American Honda they said they had stop making them....and now you have told us they are back on the web page....my wife read your post.....and now my wallet is going to get much lighter!
    So long plasma TV.....hello alligator leather!
    Alexasha, The website has placed the green and white exterior colors back into position. Perhaps the problem was only the website itself, or maybe there was a problem with the colors that's been solved, or perhaps they will once again disappear, but at a more appropriate time after they use up the current supplies. It is not yet known for sure, because there were, in fact, some reps claiming that the colors were discontinued. Either those reps are not sure of the genuine situation, or Honda does indeed have a strategy that no one really knows yet. Either way, get the white (It's also my choice for the Pilot) as soon as possible. All the interior colors would be good with it, including the olive. Enjoy it! Did you say you were going to get the nav? The '06 nav is fantastic with the voice command.
    Alexasha, I also wanted to mention to you that you shouldn't let some of the comments in the forum affect your opinion of the color choice you made. The olive interior is not an alligator any more than last year's fern looked like elephant, or the gray is a cloudy day, etc. Those remarks are fun, but the bottom line is YOU need to like it. You are the one buying it. The '06 Pilot in white with olive interior is a great looking vehicle, especially if YOU like it!
  • bzbbzb Posts: 1
    I just bought the '06 Pilot in Amazon Green and love it! The first comment people make is that they really like the color. I also think the olive interior looks great. I prefer it over the saddle (grey was my second choice w/Blue ext.). The model I got was the only on in Green on the lot and the only one I could find in Memphis, which did seem odd. However, I can't imagine that they would discontinue this exterior or interior colors due to negative consumer response. And although I am not a "white car guy" I am sure they will continue producing it as well. :)
  • Been reading lots of posts on pricing...dealers here in Az aren't budging too much. However, I did manage to get $33,400 OTD, with a selling price of $31K (750. over invoice of $30,250, doc fees, tire tax), coupled with sales tax of 7.6%. Have to wait until 1 December for the vehicle to arrive, but got the dealer to throw in floor mats for the wait. The selling price also is under what Edmunds considers TMV. For us it came dow to two dealers, as most dealers came in around 34K OTD and weren't willing to deal too much. I've read that someone in NJ got one for 27,100 OTD???! Was that on an EX-L AWD? Find that hard to believe, seeing as Invoice is 29,750. Keep in mind that invoice prices differ in various regions. Here in the SW, Invoice is $30,250.

As I negotiated, pricing really comes down to you feeling that you got a fair deal, and that's different for everyone. I downloaded a spreadsheet from www.carbuyingtips.com and calculated a tartget price that would represent a good deal for me and a good deal for the dealer. I may have received a better deal, but given the facts of time of year and popularity of color (sage brush pearl), I think we did pretty good.

Amazon Green was our second color choice, but heard that it didn't do well with the Ridgeline. I found only one Green in Arizona, so decided against it. Not sure how this color will affect resale in say 5-8 years, when that color isn't the 'in' color anymore.

I'd be interested to know how others faired in purchase experience, especially those from the SW.
  • I am confused. I have been viewing the posts on this forum for about a month, and the purchase information posted here would seem to be quite helpful ($500...$300 over invoice, etc.). Armed with that information, I spoke today with an internet manager for a local dealership, and I advised him of the deals reported on this forum. He laughed, said people lie on forums about the deals they supposedly get, and told me to look at Edmunds TMV -- which he claims is the true price paid by persons purchasing Honda Pilots in this area. The Edmunds TMV for the 2006 Honda Pilot in my area (Mobile, Alabama) is only about $700 less than the MRSP. When I went through Carsdirect to get quotes from those dealers, the Carsdirect "target price" for this zip code was listed at $100 over invoice, so I do not believe that buyers in Mobile Alabama have lost their collective minds. What value is the TMV? Thanks for any help.
  • I tested drive a Highlander, and the 3rd row was really only for a small kid. I may not have chance to test drive a Pilot in the near future. Could you guys share your feeling on the 3rd row? Is it to for a less than average adult (I am 5'8)?

Thanks a lot.
  • tcasboytcasboy Posts: 214
    TMV is worthless, just another number out there in space. All that matters is that you feel ok about the price YOU pay for YOUR vehicle.

If the TMV was at 100 under invoice you can be that the sales people would be telling you that it was meaningless. In that case I would say they were right. All that matters is what you are willing to pay and whether or not they will take the deal.

Good luck.
  • denadadenada Posts: 18
    I compared the HL and Pilot before, sure that the 3rd in pilot is better.
    You can move the 2nd row forward to free more leg room for the 3rd row. IMO, it is good for me(5'8") if the trip is less than 30 mins.
  • We test drove the Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer, Dodge Durango, Toyota Highlander, and Honda Pilot. Two of our criteria were good 3rd row seats and 3rd row air conditioning. I am 5' 6" and sat in all of the 3rd row seats. The 3rd row seats in the Ford Explorer and Honda Pilot were the best. The Highlander had the worst 3rd row seat. The Explorer and Durango had the 3rd row air conditioning. The Pilot and Highlander did not. In addition, the Highlander did not even have 2nd row air conditioning. We eliminated the Highlander for the bad 3rd row seat and no 2nd or 3rd row air conditioning. We eliminated the Durango and Explorer as being too big and low on gas mileage. Thus, we chose the Honda Pilot even though it did not have the 3rd row air conditioning. We bought a 2006 silver EX AWD and have had it for 36 hours.
  • denadadenada Posts: 18
    I don't think there was a simply website problem. I bought a 06' Amazon Green EX in the end of Sep. Then I log on the honda owner website, the website show the the picture of the amazon green 06. After I read the post about the color discontinuous, I go back to the owner website, they change the picture to 05' pilot.

I check it today and they switch back to 06 Amazon green now.

I think they are the completely difference website( Honda.com and Owner Link), if there is only a simply website mistake, should not affect the owner link.

But everything is resume normal right now , and I don't have to worry about that anymore.
  • My choice of color stays. As I wrote, I already have preordered white pilot. I myself would prefer saddle leather, but green will do. The main choice is white external color and NOT grey internal. I though that honda.com had problems with their website. I the last couple days prior to release honda.com had a lot of changes that were not finished. I think it is a pure fault of the honda's webmaster. Only time will prove us wrong, only time.
    Tagman,

I don't think that you need to take the comments in this forum so seriously....
    It is obvious that people need to buy what THEY like not what they read here....at least I do....and since I am the one that made the comment about alligator color...if it makes you feel any better I was kidding! Jeeezzzz......
    The olive interior is not that bad....however, you must admit it is an unusual color correct?????? Life is simple....if you like something, go for it....if not, don't!
    There is no reason these forums can't be informative and entertaining at the same time....for me....I can tell when someone is having fun and when someone is not...
    hence the :o) at the end of my prior post!
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,992
    The Row 2 & 3 space was important to me too. I ended up buying a Ford Freestyle. From Cars.com in the order of Freestyle, Pilot, Highlander, Dodge Durango:

Front Legroom: 41.2, 41.4, 40.7, 41.5
    2nd Row Legroom: 40.2, 37.4, 36.4, 37.4
    3rd Row Legroom: 33.3, 30.2, 30.2, 34.4

And the Durango is bigger overall. Of course there are lots of reasons to pick a car.
  • I do not have any problems with calling green leather an alligator color. I think it was funny, nothing else. THis is especially true after such comments as
    "So long plasma TV.....hello alligator leather!" - I loved it.
    My 2 cents
  • berardberard Posts: 13
    Delighted to hear you got your Amazon Green Pilot. We've been enjoying our red one. Happy motoring!
  • khoakhoa Posts: 64
    Based on what I've seen, TMV tends to lag behind current values. However, each area is different since price is dictated by supply&demand. Your best bet is to get quotes outside of your area. Even in my area, quote varies from 500-1500 above invoice. The funny thing is, the dealer that quotes 1500 above doesn't believe the 500 over invoice quote I get from a dealer just 10 miles away. Shop around and good luck.
  • tcasboytcasboy Posts: 214
    Dealers will hardly ever admit that another dealer might be willing to undersell them. Part of their make up I guess.
  • Jensad,
    We would love to know the name of your Dealership and salesman. You have the vehicle we have been looking for! Not to mention a price we can live with! Unfortunately that particular Pilot is very hard to find in the Monterey area!
    Thanks for the help!
    ngvincent
  • rix66rix66 Posts: 3
    I posted recently about our buying experience and though I didn't lie, the price wasn't quite correct - it was actually slightly less than stated - $320 over invoice. Someone else just posted that the only thing that matters is you being comfortable with the price but it's a lot easier to be comfortable if you know what others are paying. Again, for a 2006 AWD EX-L, $30,600 including destination. If one dealer doesn't want to sell at a good price buy elsewhere. Another thing to consider, I went in in response to a holiday sale ad and their offer was $32000 so I walked. They called back the next day with the above price and we didn't haggle as we thought that fair.

We got our car Monday and I drove it today for the first time and it was quite nice (this car replaces a 98 Mercedes ML320). Very smooth, solid and well behaved. I don't care for the shifter but considering the cavernous storage between the seats, it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Someone mentioned road noise and it was not noticable at all but I never got over 45mph either. And yes, Edmunds TMV was quite a bit more than we paid. Good luck.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    Per the note above the "post a message" box, we don't permit info about specific salespeople; however, dealership, city & state are welcome!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• Sorry, did not know the about the salesman rule. No problem. I would still like to know the name of the dealership though.
    ngvincent
  • hoshos Posts: 31
    I have been studying the pilot for the past year. As I have stressed before, amongst all the cars in the same class, this is the safest, most versatile, and most comfortable car. Third row seat is important for me too and this car has be far the best. The third row folds down in two sections (single and double). For one thing getting in and out is very easy due to roominess of the inside. Also, I took a friend along and we were able to sit on the larger section of the third seat and fold the single section down. We did not have any trouble sitting. I am 5'10" and my friend was 5'4". No third row in a SUV is comfortable for a long journey (van is the best alternative), but this car has by far the roomiest third row in its class.

You may ask why I have not bought one !!! I have been waiting for 06 with curtain airbags. This car is very popular in the northwest and I can get good deals around christmas. Last year around christmas dealer kept sending me emails to come and buy a car $200 over invoice.
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    Hos, I concur with your points about the Pilot. I think its the best SUVs out there for the money. I have also been waiting for the 2006s to arrive in N. California and good pricin. At the start of the month, they were asking $1,000 above invoice, then $500, then $250, and now "at invoice." The dealers here have a ton of Pilots on hand - ranging from 29 to 35 just at two dealerships I checked. I've held off because I think the units here (for whatever reason) are not moving, and I have been going back and forth with just getting a 2005 one. I also heard that Honda sales are going to be down by 8% in October (per an AP business article). This could be a blow for Honda because of the re-design Civic and the restyled Pilot and Accord. Christas has always been a really good time to get a Pilot though - so that's why I'll wait. It sounds like your market may be more stronger for the seller than the buyer (at least for the moment).