Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Lease Questions

Comments

• x54bdx54bd Member Posts: 1
    Hello Car_Man,

This is more than a bit embarrassing...

I have been shopping to buy a 2012 X5 xDrive35d, and then I was presented a lease deal that seemed great. I signed on the dotted line only to find out I did not get a very good deal. Shame on me for not doing the investigation first. I ordered the car about a week ago with delivery expected at the end of November. The unit is now sitting in the VPC in Port Elizabeth and will likely be delayed a bit (a few days or more) due to the current X5 35d Stop Sales memo by BMW because of a bolt issue.

Here is the deal I agreed to:

MRSP: 67,800

Incentives:
    $4500 eco
    $1500 holiday
    $750 loyalty

The sales guy says he took another 2k off. Thats puts the deal at $59,050

The quoted MF=.00145
    Residual was said to be 53%
    These seem to be inline with your posts on this matter, though others have said I can get MF=.00125 and residual of 56%

The deal I accepted called for $2500 at signing and $840/month for 36 months.. 12k miles/year. This includes 6% tax.

Using BMWconfig the invoice is $63,365... add $1000 for the dealer/sales guy mark-up and minus incentives = $57615
    The BMWconfig tool says the deal (including tax) should be about $2500 at signing and $780/month.

grrrrrrrr!

This is a lesson learned. But I am hoping its not to late. Here are my questions:

1) Am I doing the math correctly? Is the deal I accepted $840 based on the terms I described?

2) Is the $780/month the correct number based on $1k over invoice?

3) Are the MF and residual correct? If not, what are they?

4) What is a fair deal for this X5?

4) Can I renegotiate? I have not taken possession yet. Can I say I feel like I have been taken advantage of and that I want out of this deal unless they come down to $780/month? (if this is the correct number.)

I really like the car, and I *don't* want to walk from the deal, but I feel like I've been had. Again, lesson learned. And again, I hope its not too late to rectify this issue.

Thanks very much for your timely reply Car_Man (and/or others!)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    A couple of things don't smell right here:

(1) You "ordered" the car a week ago and it's already sitting in a port? When I ordered our X5d on July 13, it took several days just to get back a production number and slot, another 3-4+/- weeks for the car to queued into production and built. It was ready for pick up in late August, and that was a week ahead of the 6 week estimate I was given when we placed the order. There is no way that you could have custom ordered a car from scratch a week ago and have it sitting at a port today. So what exactly do you mean by "order" - a dealer trade or taking an existing/dealer order vehicle that was already in process? Because if that's the case, you may have a little more leverage than if you actually had the car built to your own personal specifications.

(2) It looks like the price you negotiated is $1,440 over your (new) $1,000 over invoice target. Not sure how that translates into a full $1,440 more in lease payments over 24 months (i.e. $60/moth), but maybe that's lease math (and why I always buy). On the positive side, does that make the eco credit worth nearly $200 per month??

I'm not a lawyer or financial advisor, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the "shame on me for not doing the investigation first". If this is a car that the dealer had coming anyway, I would try hard to renegotiate the deal. But if this was a vehicle that they customized for you - and got a deposit with the order - I wouldn't blame the dealer for holding you to the deal or keeping the deposit. I'm in the middle of an extreme example - negotiating on a brand new 2011 Porsche 911 GTS that was custom ordered 18 months ago and the buyer defaulted. Dealer kept a $5k deposit (way too low), but they have been unable to sell the car since. It's now gone from bad to worse. We are now haggling between the $33k discount they offered and my proposal at $40k off. Either way, the dealer is taking a huge bath. Maybe in your case you could agree to split the difference and chalk it up to lessons learned.
  • mackbavarianmackbavarian Member Posts: 6
    All - Any thoughts on buying my vehicle out of lease. Have a 2010 X530i due in at end of December. Outstanding condition with only 19.5k miles on a 30k allowance. Purchase price around $35.6k -- Trade in estimate around $37k, Dealer reatil about $42k. Option is to buy or purchase/lease 2013 X5. Any insights would be approciated. Thanks.
  • socal59socal59 Member Posts: 82
    Mack, make them an offer of $32k. Try different dealers. I did that a few years ago. One dealer would not budge on price other worked with me and I purchased my lease for a reasonable amount. Plus they certified the car, put new tires on it and detailed it.
  • mmagoommagoo Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for your response habitat1...

It was indeed an existing/dealer order vehicle that was already built and on its way to the dealer. Now, if I can just get delivery! Stuck in VPC getting a new bolt!

BTW, I was able to get them down to $780! Thanks again for your feedback.
    Congratulations on getting a better deal - and enjoy your X5d - we love ours. It would have been the right choice for you even at the higher price. Now you can enjoy an extra inner out every month. :)
    Congratulations on getting a better deal - and enjoy your X5d - we love ours. It would have been the right choice for you even at the higher price. Now you can enjoy an extra dinner out every month. :)
  • rudy1117rudy1117 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone,

I just leased my first BMW - an X5d. I was happy with the price given the eco credit. I ordered it in October and just picked it up yesterday. When I originally negotiated the deal, the residual factor on the three year lease was .57. When I picked it up yesterday, they told me that the residual value had decreased to .53. They said there was nothing they could do about it, that it was set by BMW. They said that they are now producing the 2013s and when I ordered mine in October is was a 2012 and that is the reason for the change. Does this sound reasonable or did they pull yet another fast one?
  • sunnyvalisunnyvali Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2012
    They are pulling a fast one on you. The rate it good for at least 30 days and in CA for 90 days. Here is what I would do. Tell them you can't buy the car and will order 2013 later on. Unless you signed a binding contract, your deposit is refundable. The X5 in not in your name yet. The dealer owns it and bought it from BMW. You have no obligation to buy it.

One thing to confirm is that the residual was 57%. It seems high for a 12k/yr lease.

I hope this helps.

*** If you have already leased the car, then there is not a whole lot you can do now ***
  • deenxdeenx Member Posts: 125
    No... they did not pull a fast one.

I tried to lease an X5d this week and the deal was so bad I had to walk out. $1500 margin for the dealer after the Eco-credit and holiday incentives were applied to the invoice. NJ is a very difficult place to obtain a reasonable lease on a BMW.
  • snipermattsnipermatt Member Posts: 1
    I came very close to signing on the dotted line for a brand new X5 35d last night (36 Mo, 12K/yr Lease). But after 3+ hours at the dealership, doing my best to wear them down, I decided to walk away with a copy of the deal sheet and think about it over the weekend.

Here are the basic details:
    MSRP: $65,295
    Invoice: $60,270
    Initial Cap Cost: $57,000 (post Eco-Credit)
    Residual: 53%
    Residual Value: $34,606.35
    LMF: 0.00125
    * Trade-In: $4,150
    Happier New Year Rebate: $1,500
    Drive-Off: $5,650
    ** Bank Fee: $925.00
    ** Bank Fee / Doc DO: $116.00
    DMV Fees: $471.00
    $699.93/mo Payment (Incl Taxes)

Notes:
    * I'm taking it on the chin here, I know. I just can't spend the time to sell my car privately, given my work travel schedule. Plus, it needs some work (a good $1,000 to make it presentable). I'd rather trade it in and be done with it. I'm probably down $1,850 on this aspect of the deal.

** Are these negotiable? The dealership did not do a good job selling me on why these fees exist other than blaming BMWFS ("They need to make money, too").

How would you grade this deal (A-F)? My gut instinct says the negotiated cap cost is strong but the extra fees and low-ball trade-in are weak. Overall though, is this deal a winner?
  • mlevinemlevine Member Posts: 581
    Car man, I would appreciate lease numbers on the X5 35i premium 24 and 36 months at 12,000 miles per year, and also any new incentives. Thanks for your help.
    By looking at your deal I would have also walked out. Based on the information present you need to take the $4500 eco credit, $1500 holiday credit, and trade in value from the invoice and work your way up. The price would be $50,120. Bank fee needs to be added and also a dealer profit try anywhere from $500 to $1000. Remember they are making money on your trade in. Motor vehicle fees are standard, but other fees are all profit. I would give only motor vehicle fees and 1 st month up front. I would have to grade your deal as a F.
  • tarheel0303tarheel0303 Member Posts: 3
    Newbie here. More than likely some of my questions are redundant to others but would love some advice.

I currently own a 2011 x5 diesel (white exterior, oyster interior, premium package + running boards).

I am interested in purchasing a new x5 diesel due to the savings being offered. $4,500 eco credit, $1,500 holiday credit, and $750 loyalty credit. I drive roughly 15-17k miles a year, so a lease is probably not my best option. The x5 I just built online came out to be $64,645 with the Sport Activity Package, Premium Package, and running boards. Subtract the discounts ($6,750) and I have $57,895 which should include destination and handeling.

Do I have any wiggle room? I'm not sure what the market up is online? Fortunately/unfortunately my 2011 was a company car and this time it is on me, so the first go round I didn't pay as much attention to the details because it was being covered. Any other cost I should be aware of?

Lastly, my 2011 has 29,000 miles. I'm hoping to sell privately for $44-45k. BMW in my hometown says $40-41k is the best they could do. Any thoughts?
    Welcome to the board and hope I can help a little.

(1) Your $64,645 MSRP must include a few other options? We bought a 2012 X5d with Premium, Sport Activity Package (19" wheels), running boards and BMW Apps. It had an MSRP of $63,875, as I recall.

(2) You definitely have a lot more wiggle room in the price. The discounts you quoted should be subtracted AFTER the dealer discounts the MSRP down to $1,000 or less above invoice. Check Edmunds for those figures, but I would expect the dealer discount to be at least $3,000-$3,500 off MSRP. Meaning that your total discount off MSRP would be $9,750 to $10,250.

(3) There are a couple of costs that Edmunds does not include in their invoice price - MACO and processing fees. For my dealer, those were about $400 total. That still means that you should not pay any more than $1,000 over invoice to the dealer, and then get the benefit of the $6,750 discounts subtracted from that number.

(4) If your dealer is willing to discount the new vehicle to get you a bottom line price of $54,500 (or whatever the correct MSRP is, less $10k+/-), then I think the $40-$41k they are offering for your 2011 w/ 29k miles is reasonable. Especially if your state allows you to deduct that amount of trade in to figure your state sales tax on the balance. If you are in a 6% sales tax state like Maryland, that will save you $2,400+ in sales tax. But, if the dealer was offering $40-41k on a trade that had you paying full MSRP for the new car, that's a terrible deal. Get to the bottom line on the new vehicle first, then negotiate your trade.

(5) If you have the time and live remotely within driving distance of Spartanburg, South Carolina consider ordering a new 2013 to your exact specs through the dealer and picking it up yourself at the BMW Performance Delivery Center. They put you up for a night in the Marriott, you get a full morning on the track and off road course in their vehicles, lunch, factory tour, museum tour, and personal delivery of your new vehicle. It is an absolute first class operation and an experience that you will never forget. It took us about 5-6 weeks from placing the order to having the car built and ready for pick up.
  • tarheel0303tarheel0303 Member Posts: 3
    Habitat1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write me such a detailed response. I initially responded but had one follow up question. As you mentioned, I have looked at the Edmunds TMV and it is showing me three columns 1) Invoice 2) MSRP, and 3) True Market Value. If I am understanding you correctly, and please correct me if I am wrong, their offer (even if I build on bmwusa.com should be no more than $1,000 over the invoice; not the TMV... And this is taking into account MACO and processing fees?

I live in North Carolina, so will need to check on the state deductions for trade in vs sales tax on new vehicle. My initial thought of $40k trade-in seemed ridiculous considering the MSRP, so you have calmed my anxiety and frustration somewhat.

Thanks again.
  • capitalst1capitalst1 Member Posts: 2
    What are the money factor and residual value for December on a 2013 X5 Xdrive35i Sport and also a Xdrive50i? 36 month, 10k a year. I would appreciate any feedback on this.
    tarheel,

Well, I should have guessed from your name that you were close enough to South Carolina to do the Performance Delivery Center pickup. Don't even consider buying an X5d off the lot or have it delivered to the dealership. I will never buy another BMW any other way than through the Performance Delivery Center pickup.

Back to your questions, yes, you should use the Edmunds invoice numbers (not TMV) add $1,000+/- dealer profit and perhaps add another $300-$400 for the MACO that is not included in the Edmunds invoice. Then subtract all of your discounts. Have the dealer show you on their invoice printout, what their MACO is; it can vary dealer by dealer and state by state.

Good luck.
  • scooter75scooter75 Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    Hi guys-

Can you guys weigh in on how good or bad these terms are.

Lease 2012 35D Sticker 65,295
    Invoice 60,105
    Negotiated price 60855
    Rebates total 6750
    Actual car cost 54105
    Cash down 5700
    includes...725 acq fee
    549 first month
    400 reg and title etc
    450 tax
    3576 down payment
    Money factor .00125
    Residual 54%
    Monthly $550.

Thanks!!!!!
    Price looks good at $750 over invoice. I take it this is brand new vehicle, no demo, loaner, with only delivery miles on odometer? If it's a factory build to order, do YOU live close enough to Spartanburg to take advantage of the Performance Delivery Center pick up?

Can't really comment on the lease terms, as I only buy and haven't shopped leases.
    Thanks for the timely help. It's brand new...on the lot..but exactly what I was looking for...except the sat radio. I wouldn't take delivery in sc solid miss out on that.just wondering if I couldn't get the same deal on a 13....1500 less Eco.....and pick it up in sc
    I don't know if the 2013 X5d's can be ordered yet, but if they can, I would definitely go for it, and do the Performance Delivery Center pick up. Even if you have to pay a few hundred more for a '13 over a '12, it's worth it on resale if you plan to sell or trade inside of 8-10 years and 120k miles. It may take 4-6 weeks for your car to get built, but according to my dealer, even if I waited until mid-late December to order a 2013 M3 and not pick it up until February (coming from Germany) I'd still get the holiday savings incentive.

Check into it. BMW of Silver Spring would probably do a deal at $1,000 over invoice on a 2013 X5d order, if you need to rustle up some competition.
    edited December 2012
    Actual purchase price ended up right at invoice. I went with the 12...The 13 even with a great price would have been 100 bucks more a month to lease.

Thanks for your help hab....and everyone else feel free to weigh in...I have 14 hours before I sign!!!

LOL
    I'm not sure why the '13 would be $100 more than the '12? Did BMW drop the $4,500 eco-credit, or some other credit? If you just paid $1,000 more - i.e. $1000 over invoice - that should only translate into about $25-$30 per month on a 36 month lease, unless I'm missing something.

In any event, it sounds like you have a very good deal at invoice on the '12 and given that you are leasing, the fact that it is an one year older model year will make no financial difference to you when you turn in the keys. So I'd say go for it, congratulations and start enjoying the vehicle.
    Thanks H. Between the 1500 reduction in the ECO credit...and the 1000 more over invoice...it shot up pretty quick. Maybe it was 75 a month or something. Plus the guys here didnt want to do it at 1000 right now so I would have had to look around....then travel.

I think im good...always wonder if you couldnt have gotten a bit more though :)
    So the 2013 eco-credit is down to $3,000? First I've heard that.

I think you did great. At least $1,250 better than I did in July, based upon holiday credit (I had $1,000 Olympic), and I paid closer to $750 over invoice. Congratulations.
    Yeah, down to 3000 on the Eco.
    Should I be paying sales tax on the 6750 in incentives H? Just noticed that line seems odd.

Thanks
    In my deal, the dealer subtracted the incentives before calculating the sales tax on the reduced amount. This was Maryland.
    On a lease they say have to pay state sales tax on the 6750 tht bmw is giving me on rebates. As though its a gift. Very odd.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    That's actually normal for most states...

Compare it to buying a toaster that sells for $79, but comes with a $20 rebate.... You pay tax on the full $79..

Works the same way for cars... in most states...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

OK....thanks for the info
    Looking at the numbers I dont think did quiet as well as at first blush. The dealer had a different number for invoice. It included MACO and some training fee. Cost me another 600 bucks. I think im at about 1000 over invoice with those fees.
    Dealer just called.turns to his manager has been driving the car for 3 months...lol.....wanted to complete the deal at the original deal with 3000 miles on he car...can you believe it.

Sigh..what a waste of time
    Works the same way for cars... in most states..

That's true, if we are talking "rebates". But BMW - and my dealer - were careful to subtract the eco-credit off the top line as a "credit". That's like selling something with a $10 off sale - you don't pay tax on the pre-sale price.

I just called my dealer on another matter and asked. The only thing they treat as a rebate is the BMWCCA rebate that you get directly from them, when you buy a new car. The BMWNA eco-credit, holiday credit, loyalty credit, are all treated as credits, not rebates. Therefore no Maryland sales tax on any of them. They reduce the sales price before the tax is calculated. They aren't in jail (yet) so that's good by me.
    You're kidding?? 3,000 miles on the vehicle and they just told you now?

Well screw them and order a 2013 for Performance Delivery Center pick up. From an honest dealer.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,716
    I'm going to quote another CA, that contradicts part of what you were told...

Holiday Credit/Cash -
    Must finance/lease with BMW FS
    Offer is valid from Dec 1st - Jan 2nd, 13
    It is lockable
    Does not reduce the selling price
    It is used as a down payment (finance); a cap reduction or to pay drive offs (lease)

Loyalty Credit -
    FS funded contracts ONLY
    May be combined with HC
    It is lockable
    Does not reduce selling price
    It is used as a down payment (finance); a cap reduction or to pay drive offs (lease)

ECO credit -
    Discounted off selling price

So... according to him... Loyalty and Holiday credits are used as down-payments (taxable)... and ECO credit reduces the price (non-taxable).

That doesn't mean that your dealer isn't doing it the other way... just another $0.02..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

That's what I had expected when I first started shopping - that my Olympic drive credit would be treated as a taxable rebate. Fortunately the dealer I bought from subtracted it of the top, but there are others (in other selling states) that wouldn't have and that would have been taxable,
  • gregzogregzo Member Posts: 8
    Just leased a new 2013 X5 Premium with Convenience, cold weather, Technology, Sat radio, BMW Apps. 39 month lease, 12K miles/year

MSRP - $62,795
    Monthly payment - $685 including 6.25% MA sales tax
    Cash due - $2124 (first, fees and $884 cap reduction)

I know you guys will do the math to figure out all the other numbers i am missing. Just wanted to share as I rely on this forum every couple of years when leasing a new car.

Good luck on your deal!
    I would appreciate information as soon as possible on the leasing numbers for the base X5 35 and premium X5 35 for 24 and 36 months at 12,000 miles a year. Will be talking to the dealer today. thanks for your help.
  • gatorchompgatorchomp Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    CarMan,

I am new to leasing and received a quote today for a 2013 X5 Base with Conv. Package, power tailgate, satellite radio are the only options selected, we have credit rating over 750, and want to ensure we are getting the best deal we can, any insight or advice is appreciated, we didn't want to put that much down given it is a lease. We planned on ordering ours since they didnt have the color combo and package we wanted. What are your thoughts on this offer a 2012 would be fine as well but may have to settle for alternate color combo.

$54,145 purchase price
    MF .00165
    53% residual
    39 month lease
    10K miles/yr
    $614/month (this includes tax)
    $5128 Out of pocket which includes first month payment

Our sales person is taking the Loyalty credit ($750) and Holiday credit ($1500) and applying as a credit on the capital cost reduction, our total out of pocket would be $5128, not really sure this is a great deal.

Thank you
    I believe the out of pocket is too much to put down, as you want to put the least down, Take the $2250 off invoice and work your way up for a cap cost. The money factor I believe should be 00.135 at least this is true for 36 months. I was not able to make a deal on the X5 35i as cap cost and out of pocket cost were too high. Good luck with you deal.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hey mlevine. BMW Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 24-month lease of a 2013 X5 35i Premium with 12,000 miles per year are .00135 and 62% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 36-month lease are .00135 and 56%.

This month there's still a $1,500 holiday credit and $750 owner loyalty cash available on this model.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Hi capitalst1. BMW Financial Services' December buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36-month lease of a 2013 X5 xDrive35i Sport with 10,000 miles per year are .00125 and 57% for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an xDrive50i are .00125 and 59%.

When negotiating your deal on either of these trucks make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 holiday cash and $750 owner loyalty cash that BMW is providing on them right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Hey scooter75. Sheesh, you were negotiating a deal on a vehicle and they didn't tell you until later that it had 3,000 miles on it. Good grief. Time to find a different dealership :).

Car_man
    Host
  • rudy1117rudy1117 Member Posts: 2
    FYI

Hi Everyone,

Thought I would give specifics to help others with there negotiations - I hate the way car dealers do business.

X5d with premium packageand heads up display
    On 36 month 12,000mile lease
    Sticker - 62345
    discount from sticker 4535
    Negotiated price - 57860 (invoice was 57430)
    eco and holiday credit - 6000
    Initial cap cost - 51860
    add crap fees (725 bmw finance, 399 doc fee, 17 state tire tax fee) - 1141

Net cap cost 53001
    lease factor .00125
    Residual .53
    Monthly payment 661.95
  • klandieklandie Member Posts: 6
    Gregzo what dealership did you get your lease from. I went shopping yesterday and was quoted substantially more. I would have left with a car if I scored that deal! Please assist. Thank you!
  • scottg61376scottg61376 Member Posts: 2
    All, I too am trying to negotiate with my dealer and their numbers are different than what I am seeing here. Can someone validate. Terms of lease...2013 BMW X5d, 36 months, 10,000 miles per year. They are claiming only a $3,000 eco-credit for the '13 models (they said the $4,500 is only on the '12) + $1,250 holiday + $750 loyalty. Money factor of .00135 and residual of 54%. Will be a build to order option.

Can someone let me know if this is accurate or if I should just go to another dealer.
  • klandieklandie Member Posts: 6
    Can someone please assist. I'm new to the leasing world and I feel as if the offer on the table is a joke. I'm reading some of you post about the lease you received and mine is far off. I'm looking for an x5 (diesel is ok), 36 months, 12k miles w/ navigation. I was proposed the following:
    PURCHASE OPTION
    Vehicle Price: $63,345.00
    Market Savings: - $6,237.00
    SmartChoice Price: $57,108.00

Sales Tax (estimate): + $4,434.32
    Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $7.00
    Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $441.00
    Flat Add/County Fee: + $8.00
    Electronic Filing: + $29.00
    Smog Abatement Fee: + $20.00
    Documentation Fee: + $80.00
    Balance Due (estimate): $62,127.32

With $4,500 down a monthly payment of $759

Basically what should I be targeting for a monthly payment? Another dealer offered me:
    $62845 msrp
    $60845 sale
    $6k rebate
    $4500 down payment
    36mos 12/yr

$683.93
    $53.00 tax 7.75%

$736.93/mo

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!
  • gregzogregzo Member Posts: 8
    BMW Gallery Norwood. All done by email with the sales manager - Rob. You can get his email on their website. Visited a couple of dealers in person and numbers were over $100/mo higher. Emailed 4 local dealers and went with the one willing to meet my price.
This discussion has been closed.