Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Super Duty

johnpsjohnps Member Posts: 2
Will the '07 Super Duty have completely redesigned sheetmetal or will it be just in front and back?

Comments

• johnpsjohnps Member Posts: 2
    Hello??
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    You're probably not getting responses because no one knows the answer. All of the info we've got on the 2007 Ford F250/F350 is listed in our article.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• iamawsum2iamawsum2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 F250 V-10 and have been very happy with it. Mileage is ok and it has given no problems. It's about time to think of a new one. Any chance Ford is thinking about a V-10/8? I.e. 2 cylinders shut off when not needed. I don't tow every day and this would be a great way to get a little better gas mileage and maybe compete with diesel on a cost per mile basis. Sounds easy to do. Good idea or bad?
  • bewhite25bewhite25 Member Posts: 35
    I've read that the 2007 will probably use a new 6.4L diesel engine. Will this again be produced by International, or after the 6.0 Powerstroke disaster will Ford be finding a new supplier?
  • blueovalguyblueovalguy Member Posts: 1
    Bewhite: From what I've read and heard the 07 superduty will not have the new 6.4L twin turbo engine in it. This is because Ford is taking extra time fine tuning the enigine. Yes, it will still be made by International/NaviStar. The specs I've seen rate the engine between 450-500 HP. However, the final engine will be turned down a bit to 400-450 HP. Can't recall the torque foot LBS at this time. It will be available in the 08 superduty being released in the fall of 07. My take on this is don't rush into this new truck. Let the bugs get worked out on this new engine for about a year. Yeah...I got my eye on it as well. It would pull my 12000lb. fifth wheel camper nicely. For now, however, I'll have to stick with my 05 superduty w/ 6.0 diesel enigine.
  • akenatenakenaten Member Posts: 122
    Is the 6.0 really that bad? I test drove an F-250 today and while the engine is really noisy compared to the Duramax is the Powerstroke a bad motor?
  • bewhite25bewhite25 Member Posts: 35
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=109864#2

Not sure what I think of the headlights, but the rest of the truck looks good. As great as the specs on the new 6.4L Powerstroke look, supposedly a new Duramax is on the way putting out 360hp and 650lb-ft of torque.
  • alex145alex145 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2004 350.Should i wait for the 07,or get the 06? It does have better options for work.
  • akenatenakenaten Member Posts: 122
    The new Duramax is already here.I have it. :)
  • fordguy300fordguy300 Member Posts: 4
    I don't like the front or back end anymore with the 2007 design. I love ford trucks and have always owned one, but now I'm not to sure what Ford is trying to accomplish by flipping the tail lights over, messing with the grille, and completely re-doing the headlights. Now they are like a chevy, with the parking light on top. That's NOT FORD!!
    The fog lights should have been left in the middle next to the license plate frame, and the steering wheel should have never been redesigned. I'm not to sure I want to buy a truck that looks like this. The 2006 is the best looking style in the Superduty years. Don't change it into that! That AIN'T FORD!!!
    Check out the 2007 Ford F-250 and F-350 Superduty. What is going on inside of Ford? The headlights are ( straight shout out from a Ford truck enthusiast and superduty owner ), UGLY!
    The rear end is like an F-150 with the Ford oval in the middle. The tail lights have been turned so the reverse light is on top. That is something a Japanese car company would do. Where does it say "F-250" or "F350" on the tailgate?
    The interior is like the F-150 and looks cheesey and cheap compared to the 2006. Ford is not doing a great job on redesigning the Superduty trucks. Spreading the fog lights is a bad idea. Where they shine is where theres already light.
    Plus, the headlights are on the bottem and the parking light on top. Thats a crappy Chevy idea.
    Keeping them as the 2006 is a great look for the truck. Or how about changing them back to the 1990 style headlights? Ford is turning the Superduyt truck into a "pansie" lookin truck on the inside and just wrong on the front and rear ends. At least the sides haven't changed!
  • schmedlyschmedly Member Posts: 44
    The 2007 Superduty is unchanged from the '06 moel year. The design change that you are describing is for the '08 model year which will be out early '07 as an '08. I believe they are expecting January as the month it will debut. This also ties in with the new powerstroke that will obsolete the 6.0.
    Ford says the re-designed superduty will be out fall 2006. The 6.4 diesel will make 350HP and 650 ft-lbs torque. I still say the 7.3 litre should have never been erased from the newer Ford trucks.
  • toolttimetoolttime Member Posts: 4
    I like the the look of the new superduty look. I've had 6 superduty. In 03 my 6.0 was crap and ford bought it back. My 04 6.0 has not given problem in 100000km
  • noodysfoolnoodysfool Member Posts: 2
    Me and my buddy just bought '06 p-strokes He got a 350, I took a 250, both Lariats They totally rock, He did tromp on the pedal and blew the hose out that connects to the turbo charger, but ford replaced it, other than that this truck is the [non-permissible content removed]. We have had no problems. I hate the look of the new super duty, It looks like a chevy. I would buy an 07 now, you can get good deals. I hate the dodge and the chevy. All my buddys have the Ford. Last year I was hunting in the mts. with 2 guys who had a dodge. It sucked in the rugged terrain.
  • rhausrhaus Member Posts: 1
    Well the pictures are out! In keeping with the Edmunds forum rules I cannot post any specific sites but a GOOGLE on 2008 and FORD will provide plenty to look at. My '05 F350 has been, for the most part, trouble free, but after the last "update" to the diesel programming I am plagued with hesitations on acceleration. My interest in the '08 is high as the promise of a better suspension, a more responsive diesel and a more user friendly interior is certainly a plus over the '05-06's and so called 07's.

This being the starting message I am in hopes that in the coming months there will be a lot of input on perception and just general feedback on the new super duties as they become available to see and touch.

As a side I would hope that Ford would monitor this forum and take heed on what its potential customers are saying. Let me start by saying, "please loose the faux wood dashboards".

Let the forum begin!
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    "please loose the faux wood dashboards".

Are they as nice as GM's or do they look cheap ?

Rocky
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The new-look Super Duty is a 2008 model, not a 2007 model.

Bob
  • pipfindrpipfindr Member Posts: 34
    I have the new issue of "truck trend" and the 08 is in there. My opinion on the new truck is the headlights are upside down and they really made the grill ugly by stretching it too much towards the window. The interior is nicer than my '06 but I wanted it like the 1/2 ton which has always been nicer than the HD's. But I cant wait for the real hp and torque #'s from the twin turbo 6.4ltr. the #'s are only an estimate of what they may be. I know people who put twins on dodges and the hp is more like 400 hp and 710 ft lbs. in spring 08 I will wait to see if they grow on me enough to buy one. In my eyes the 06 I have has an exterior that is styled nice with black paint, chrome pkg and lariat interior pkg. The 06 and 07's body styles are better than the 08's....well front end any ways.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    The 2008 Super Duty's unique reverse-stacked headlamps place the high beam under the running lamps and turn signals making them more compatible with other vehicles and reducing unwanted glare.

The new 6.4 liter twin-turbo diesel is manufactured for Ford by International Truck and Engine Corp and makes 350 hp and 650 lb-ft of torque. The new V-8 uses a state-of-the-art piezo fuel injection system.

The 2008 F-Series Super Duty's side vents, a design inspired by the TONKA concept truck, dissipate engine compartment heat and designate what type of powertrain lies beneath the hood; red for diesel, black for gasoline.

F-450 Lariat Crew Cab

The 2008 Ford F-Series Super Duty's patented, hydroformed body structure is made up of two high-strength steel side rails that are welded to the bulkhead and frame. They not only serve to create a very rigid foundation, but the system's modular construction eases assembly and delivers a more dimensionally accurate truck.

Suspension

The 2008 Ford F-Series Super Duty's frame features a fully boxed front section that has been optimized for safety. The unique front frame horn design lowers the frame by seven inches meeting vehicle compatibility standards without the need for a blocker beam. The design also provides improved vehicle cooling as well as a solid footing for the hydroformed body structure.

The following is from Bob Kehoe of The Oregonian August 26, 2006:

Automakers earn an average profit of $13,000 for each full-size pickup they build, excluding incentives and other marketing costs, according to estimates from CNW Marketing Research in Bandon [Oregon].

New Ford Super Duty
  • jonjon70363jonjon70363 Member Posts: 4
    I work in oilfeild transportation, amoung people that put on 80,000 miles a year the 6.0L is about as popular as herpes. People are trading these trucks in at 1/3 of what they paid for them after one year, there just terrible. Ford has tornished it's rep so bad with this engine it should be thinking with a clean sheet mentality. They should have dropped Navistar as there engine builder and picked up a small diesal from Caterpiller. Like Cummins, just the name Car would sell a sizable number of trucks and it would show the general public that Ford saw the problem and did something about it besides wiggling out of warranty work.

If any of you Dodge owners are reading, sad days are coming, the 5.9L is completly redone for 08 with 70% new parts, and let me tell you with the new Cummins for bigger trucks as their benchmark, they will be terrible.
  • mettechmettech Member Posts: 28
    I hope that Edmunds will put a '08 SuperDuty PowerStroke in their longterm fleet.
  • tdlegacytdlegacy Member Posts: 1
  • rich422006rich422006 Member Posts: 6
    What exactly went wrong with the 6.0L???
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    First year '03 model had lots of birthing pains. Took several iterations of engine control software to get it right. There were a bunch of other problems with oil and coolant leaks, turbo tubes blowing off, the "thrum" and the "romp", etc., etc. They had a lot of the problems resolved by end of '03. But there is still a higher incidence of problems than there was with the previous 7.8L Powerstroke. When it runs right, 6.0L is supposedly a wonderful motor, but when it's got problems, it's driving folks nuts. IMHO Ford goofed, Navistar has this engine running great on its own vehicles, but in an effort to save cost, Ford decided to redesign all the engine controls when they contracted with Navistar to build the engines for them. I think the Ford bean-counters shot themselves in the foot.

Ford went with the new 6.4L engine to be able to meet the new much stricter emmissions standards for diesels, and to be able to handle ultra low sulphur diesel fuel. Hopefully they learned a hard lesson with the 6.0L
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    It is my understanding that the 6.0 was unique among diesels in using both electronics AND oil pressure to control fuel injection. All other engines were one or the other.

Oil viscosity variations change engine performance. PLUS
    Ford did not get the word out DO NOT MOD THIS ENGINE.

Mark.
    The New Super Duty is on the lots!!! Check this one out.
    Ebay #
    This dealer is going for list price. I wish i knew exactly what the dealer pays for their trucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fordmudfordmud Member Posts: 2
    Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. But here is a dyno video I came across of the 2008 Super Duty 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel.

It's at the bottom of this *Outlaw Power* Intake System page.
    http://www.outlawpower.com/productdetail.php?sc=1474
  • rjenningsrjennings Member Posts: 5
    The answer to that is most definitely YES, I can not get
    my mind around a company as big as Ford putting out on the
    market such a complete piece of junk. And if you know people
    that have to really work a truck for a living Dodge and GM
    are not much better. Ford, Dodge and GM have been doing this
    to us since the 1970's and than they cry bloody murder and
    try to give use a guilt complex about not being patriotic
    enough when we are forced to buy something made in Japan,
    I for one am sick and tired of them peeing on my head and
    telling me it's only raining.
    Yes the 6.4 is also a International engine, which they just
    stopped delivering to Ford. Something about Ford not paying
    for the engines. But it has 2 turbo's instead of one that
    way it will cost you 8 thousand dollars to replace them
    instead of the normal 4. I've been buying Ford diesel F-350's
    since the late 1970's take it from some one who knows, get
    the extended warranty and don't do any modifications to the
    truck if you want the warranty to be honored.
    My father has a 04 6.0 F-350 4X4. Like you say the engine is
    a complete piece of Junk. I have a 99 7.3 F-350 4X4 which is
    a little better. I would like to throw this out for kicks
    for the last 10 years or so all of the major diesel makers
    have been producing engines for a medium truck market. You
    know the trucks we refer to as 2 or 3 ton trucks. Those are
    the trucks you see every day delivering soda pop, Beer and
    things like that to stores retail outlets of all kinds. Heres the deal, these type of small commercial trucks put more miles on their engines in one year than most people will for the entire time they own a 1 ton. Most of these Diesel Engines are in the 7 to 9 liter size and make from
    800 to 1200 ft lbs of torque, because they are used in a
    commercial setting if their is anything wrong with the
    design of the engine they not only figure it out very
    soon after the engine hits the market but it is fixed. I
    don't mean just installing a new part, I mean that the
    manufacturer will redesign the defective part until they
    get it right. Some of these mid size Diesel engines are
    very well proven. Know here's the real point to all of this
    the current engines that are being used in 1 ton size
    trucks weight around 1100 to a little over 1200 pounds.
    The mid sized engines weight about 1500 pounds. The
    differance of 3 to 4 hundred pounds could easily be
    compensated for in the truck design, it;s not really that
    big of a deal when you are talking about a truck that
    weights over 6 thousand pounds. Not to mention the large
    selection of tranny's that can mate up to these engines.
    You would think that instead of trying to reinvent the
    wheel, that one of the big 3 would be smart enough to just
    select a well proven 8 or 9 liter engine, put a fuller 10
    speed on the back of it and mount it in a 1 ton truck.
    You would finally have what people really want and need.
    Heck Mercedes-Benz has a 7.2 liter Diesel called the MBE
    926 that makes 330 HP and 1000 pounds of torque, it weights
    1235 pounds and is considered a million mile engine. It has
    proven itself exstremly reliable in medium duty trucks.
    I'm sure Mercedes would love to sign a contract for 50,000
    more engines than they sold last year. All in all it's
    easy to see why the domestic truck makers are hurting.
    know one running them has any common sense.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The specifics of the legal issue between Ford and International are over warranty costs of the early 6.0 engines. Ford claimed that International didn't pay their agreed percentage of the warranty costs, and so Ford subtracted that amount from what they were scheduled to pay International. In response, International claimed they "were not paid" for engines as per the contract and halted shipment.

Ford announced that the Louisville Super Duty plant will be cut from three daily shifts to just one starting Monday march 5 until further notice.

kcram - Pickups Host
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-070301navistar,0,2083337.story?coll=c- - hi-bizfront-hed

This is all just legal maneuvering. Ultimately Ford will have to pay a reasonable price for new engines and Navistar will have to pay its fair share of warranty costs.

This really seems like a stupid lawsuit as no court will likely give either party 100% of what its asking for, as the latest court order shows. They are just running up legal bills. This should have gone to arbitration or mediation months ago.

Mark.
  • fordmudfordmud Member Posts: 2
  • haulin79haulin79 Member Posts: 7
    Power and torque look very nice. This engine seems quiet, a good thing. Let's just hope Ford can keep that production line moving.
  • automiteautomite Member Posts: 17
    would someone post the tracking website for new truck orders? saw it on edmunds a long time ago. would like to display the progress of my truck order....thx
  • snowtoadsnowtoad Member Posts: 5
    u no i have no clue why u guys would want to buy a deisel? im on my 2nd v-10. i looked at the price of the 6.4 if remember it was over 6gs for that option, then u strap that high dollar trans. on it ur looking at close to 8gs. now u stop and think about this, how far would u drive to get any recoup cost of getting a deseil? now im going to educate u guys on the differance. on my 1st v-10 01 extend cab 4x4 3.73 5 spd man. i was getting 18 on the hwy.if i keep my foot out of it i could squeeze 15 around town. these numbers r not just mind. various guys were getting them numbers with there v-10s wif man.[some guys tickle that 19 mpgs]. i no the deseils r getting little bit better, but buying a deseil because they get little better fuel milage. yep how long would it take it on what im getting gas milaage? long time. then top it off look at the fuel price differance. real long time.
    yep deseils got long jevety but that isnt the case any more i talk fellow that had 2 v-10s [both 99s]the one he was driving had over 250,000 miles on it his 2nd one had over 450,000 on it. and he had no problems wif them engine wise. now granted these were 99s they problems that yr model.
    the resale on deseil i think r reduclus the market is flooded wif deseils and lots of wif low milage. to me u lost ur money if ur trade wif low miles!
    yes deseils have a purpose if ur NOT doing a lot of towing i think ur wasting ur money.
    my 2nd v-10 06 cc 4x4 4.10 wif 6spd man. i love it! its looking like this one might not get as good of gas milage as my 1st one mabe 16 to 17 on the highway 12 to 13 around down. but still way head of the game looking at the price of fuel for both types. this no brainer.

as for the 08s i dont think they r to bad. to much of that big going on tho.
  • lukenluken Member Posts: 3
    Just read an article claing the Lamborghini is the worst mileage vehicel sold at 9MPG...well my brand new 2008 6.4ltr Diesel gets me less than that, Highway, with no load...less than 6MPG on the Highway with a load.

I am so pissed off. The guy above is 100% correct. The V10 is a way better buy, way cheaper, better fuel economy and you dont have to hunt for a pump to fill up.

Shame on Ford :lemon:
    1. You tow more than the V10 can handle; or
    2. You drive more than 20,000 miles per year.

If you purchased a diesel for ego's sake alone, as one of these two conditions do not apply, then that is your problem.

As for the 6.4 gettign poor milage, not of my customers or as far as I know, customers at my dealership have complained.

Mark.
  • buyer2008buyer2008 Member Posts: 9
    I was about to order a 2008 F-250 Lariat with the 6.4 diesel until I read some of the reviews stating they only got 6,7 or no more then 9MPG empty!!! In the USA Today review, Ford indicated that the MPG of the test vehicle was abnormally low. To date, I have not read of anyone getting more than 10 MPG driving empty with the new engine. This sounds bizarre. Surely there are some folks getting better than this. If you are a new owner of the 2008 F-250 Diesel equipped truck, could you please post your actual mileage? I don't want to make a 50K mistake!!! Thanks!
    Additionally, if there is anyone who has purchased the 2008 V-10 I would be curious to know your mileage as well. My current towing needs would probably be satisfied with the V-10. I was considering the Diesel for future possibilites but at the diesel MPGs I am reading about I am no longer sure....the V-10 is looking better everyday!
    Thanks for any input. Dave
  • automiteautomite Member Posts: 17
    have about 200 miles on new truck. this is my 4th superduty [2003, 2005, 2006, 2008]. i buy them for pleasure use, not commercial use. this truck has many improvements over past models. take the sliding rear window. it know longer has the wide rubber gasket sealing the window. the glass seals like the front windshield, floating in its mount. the front fender liner now extends to cover the front steel bumper, now protecting it better from the road debris. lots of good changes. rides like a luxury car. still bad on mileage [10-12mpg]. congrats to FORD designers and engineers for a much improved model. love the truck.
  • djw07djw07 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 08 F250 6.4 P/S for about 2 months. With 4000 miles, :shades: I'm averaging 14 mpg around town and 10.5 mpg towing a 27ft 7000# trailer. I/m it will improve as I put a few more miles on the truck.
    Thanks...this is more encouraging than some of the other reports I was reading! Planning on moving ahead with the 2008 Diesel Lariat order...
  • paaschpaasch Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 6.4 superduty. I am getting around 7-10 miles per gallon. If I drive off road it is around 7 mpg on the highway around 10 mpg totally empty. When my trip monitor says I have zero miles to empty, I can only put 20 gallons of fuel in. I must still have 15 gallons in the tank. I had a 2002 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 diesel before. That truck would outpull and outhaul this new 2008 and still get 18-23 mpg loaded. I am very dissapointed with this truck. I also feel that the brakes are spungy when I try to stop fast. I will probably be driving another truck in 2 months. I would not buy a 2008 6.4 diesel.
  • altamont1altamont1 Member Posts: 1
    I think you are making a good choice. We looked at GM (no Dodges) and by accident looked at the Ford. We bought it as a tow vehicle but we like it so much we drive it everywhere. I am getting about 14 mpg highway city and as much as 20 on the road at 63 mph. Of course I am not towing anything. IF and I do mean IF I don't keep my foot out of the turbo, my mileage drops to about 8 or 9. But with diesel about 60 cents cheaper per gallon than regular my weight mileage is much better than my Suburban 454 at 10, 12 at the best. Ford got this one right (at least after 711 miles :)