Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    the auto trany DOES have a filter. i bought one for mine and changed it along with ALL fluids. i changed the front & rear axles , transfer case , transmission and engine.. i used Amsoil products for all the fluids.
  • missypmissyp Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2001 Tracker in March. I now have 11,000 miles with no problems. I added an after market remote car starter w/key less entry (Autopage brand). I'm thinking about adding a sun roof, fog lamps and front brush guard. Has anyone added any accessories? If so, what? Does anyone have fog lamps and find them useful? I had considered the KIA Sportage when I first started looking for a small SUV. Negative consumer comments turned me away from it. The Tracker was a great value and so far it's reliable.
    i added a remote starter.. i use it all the time. it's cold up here... i just recently added Fog lights. and to be honest. you can barely even tell when they are on.. I also considered a Kia sportage, until neighbors and friends bought them , and i got to see first hand all the problems that they were having with them. and i mean ALOT of problems too !!
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Member Posts: 61
    I mounted fog lights on my '99 Tracker soon after purchase, and they can be life savers. (Better to see a 500 pound elk than to hit one.) Fog lights are intended to light the roadway immediately in front of the vehicle and widen the visual field in fog or on winding roads. They are not intended to cut through fog and extend the field of vision. The trick is in correct aiming. I suggest the following web site for instructions. http://www.4x4connection.com/tech/piaaaim.htm
  • missypmissyp Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the info!!! You gave me food for thought. I have been on an accessories jag since I got the remote starter. I'm looking for just about anything cool to add on. I have really enjoyed owning my 2001 Tracker. It's really suited to me.
  • dkingsrdkingsr Member Posts: 2
    I've purchased a 2002 Tracker ZR-2 and around 40 mph I've noticed a vibration. After several trips to the dealer they are attempting to tell me it's normal. This, of course, I don't believe. Need to know if others have experienced this problem. It's only between 40 and 45mph.
    have you had things like your wheel balance checked? also have you hit your rims on anything?
    & are your tires stock? if so what kind came on your? My tracker (99) doesnt Vibrate at 40-45mph or any speed for that matter. but i also dont have stock tires either.. Btw what does the ZR-2 add other than like stickers & cosmetics? "just wondering"
  • minnbillminnbill Member Posts: 28
    We are in the market for a mini-ute. We were on a 1-2 month waiting list for a CRV, but I just sold our current car (Lumina) to a private party, and we need to buy something pretty quick. So much for the CRV. Also looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe, but in our area (Minneapolis) they are asking MSRP or close to it. Just don't feel comfortable with the Hyundai products yet, though people in Town Hall seem to rave about them, and reliability has improved. With the Toyota RAV4, everything's an option. So, we're now looking at Tracker. Chev dealer we have bought from previously quoted us a 2002 ZR2 4WD at 18,799 (MSRP 21,720). That is 3-4K less than other mini's we've looked at, and since we are on a tight budget, we may end up buying the Tracker. Going to test drive it this week, and if we like, once we've completed the sale of our Lumina, we'll probably buy the Tracker. This will be a secondary vehicle for us, mostly a commuter car.

I read all the posts on this topic and it seems the worst year for these was '99, with lots of tranny problems. I'd like to hear from any '02 or '01 Tracker owners. How do you like your vehicle? Any problems so far? Is it a good buy for the money?

thanks!!!
    the 1999 trany problems was ONLY with the manual transmissions NOT the auto.. as for toyota i agree with you everything is a option. and i they are to high proced anyways, it is a shame that you wasnt able to get your cr-v my girlfriend just got a 2002 cr-v Lx.. and OMG that suv it wonderful. that thing it so high-tech it feels like something NASA would make. i was very impressed with the transmission. it is front wheel drive Until it sences that is needs to go into awd. and as soon as you go back on dry pavement it goes right back into front wheel drive. but i wouldnt trust it for Off-road use. it is strictly a "on-road" suv. but if you cant see if you can find a 2002 tracker that isnt a zr-2. because all a zr-2 is is just a appearance package. everything else is the same. I only tell you this because it seems like you want to save money.. If you do go to look at a tracker make sure you take a hard look at the inside, the interior is a little on the cheap side espeically when compared to the CR-V. my interior scratches very very easy.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Saturn VUE is out now and might be another option though you can only get a V6 or a 5-speed 4cyl at this point.
  • wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    I just returned from a business trip. I'm in the market for a new vehicle and am very interested in the Honda CRV. I noticed a TRACKER was availale in the rental lot so I thought I'd try it out.

I currently drive a LUMINA. I know these are a different type of vehicle but my trip driving the TRACKER turned me away from it completely.

Most of the trip was on a super highway. I do like sitting up a little higher on the road; however, I was very struck by how much of the vehicle on both sides has big blinds spots! I also drove through a snow storm. Some very nasty weather. On dry payment it was VERY noisy. Turning up the radio proved more annoying as the quality of the speakers was terrible. (I am no audiophile). During the nasty weather, the vehicle was being pushed around a lot by both the wind and the tractor trailors!!

I wanted to like this vehicle..but could not. I felt very cramped (only 5'5") my left arm felt particularly cramped. I found that the right arm rest was too close and preferred using the passenger's seat arm rest.

The interior just looked cheap. I know this is no luxury vehicle but 20K isn't chump change.

Even with all of its age related warts, It was a joy to return to my Lumina when I got back home. I won't even rent a Tracker again.
  • bouybouy Member Posts: 14
    I had a 1999 four-door automatic Tracker with exactly the same problem. First you should have the wheels balanced before assuming this is a big problem. However my Tracker was a problem,it vibrated between the speeds of 40mph and 45mph. I went through a long drawn out hassle with Chevy about this vibration. The problem is the vibration is very annoying to have on a new car but Chevy will say the car runs normal. I ended up going through arbitration and won the case but did not get reimbursed for the full amount of the Tracker. The arbitrator said a new car should be free of vibrations since it will take away from the resale value. Some 99 Trackers had an inate design problem that resulted in the vibration. This problem has to do with the Transmission gearing. You should always get proof that you complained about a problem to Chevy. Some dealers will avoid giving you any thing in writing since it could be used for the lemon law or arbitration.
    i understand what you mean, but basically you are comparing apples to oranges. i mean they arent in anyway even close to each other.. a suv in most cases are rough riding, i mean what doyou expect when you ride in a Suv that is built on a TRUCK platform.? also you said there wasnt enough room for yourself? but you said you were Only 5'5.. I'm 6'1. and i found it to have plenty of room. the only way a 5'5 person cant have room in a tracker especially a 4 door model "which mine is a 2 door" is you would have to be a really W-i-d-e person. My buddy the is 6'5 didnt even have problems sitting in my 2 door model. but yet he is thin. now on the road noise.. once again it is a SUV not a car. basically i think it is safe to say you arent a truck/suv person. or maybe a suv person that is built on a car platform like the RAV-4.. but to me SUV mean all-terrain. hell if i was only going to drive on the street then i would just buy a front wheel drive grocery getter. see i might be wrong but i think most people buy a SUV because it is the trendy thing to do now a days... basically most people should just buy mini-vans if you really think about it.. I bought my 4x4 tracker 2 door , because i wanted a all-terrain multipurpose means of transportation. If someone isn't a suv person, then there is Nothing wrong with that at all..! but you cant complain about tire noise and other basic Suv Characteristics when that is pretty much common among Most "true" Suv's.. but that is just my opinion.. i could be wrong...
  • zeke707zeke707 Member Posts: 74
    There is no one vehicle, now or in the past that is all things to all people.
  • gene58gene58 Member Posts: 8
    My 2000 2WD, automatic, 4-door Tracker is just about to turn over on 20,000 miles. I still love it! I have had no problems other than fixing a hood latch squeak with lithium grease and tightening the radiator hose clamps once. But I have a few "issues" with the dealers.

First off, the "suggested services" are such a rip-off... about 90% of all the "services" at each interval state, "Inspect this.. Inspect that". Anyway, I was going to play their little game for a while-- had them do a couple of oil/filter changes.. but then one day they would not honor one of their little "discount coupons" because I brought it in a day late. (When I went in the day before I had not really planned for sure to have them do anything-- just assumed I could bring the coupon the next day.) That gave me a great excuse to start doing my own service until something complicated comes along.

I hope it is not the same where you live, but here in Amarillo, the Tracker is treated as an "orphan" by dealers. I first wondered about this when I asked the service manager a couple of questions and he would say things like, "Well, we haven't had a lot of those in here."

Another example: Since the three dealers here (all owned by same company) offer an air-cleaner element change for $14.95, I thought I might buy a few filter elements from the parts department. Guess what? None of the three dealers even had an AC element in stock!! What would they do if someone came in for their $14.95 service? I got a blank stare. I suspect what they would do is-- shake out the dirt and bugs and close the compartment back up!

Wonderful vehicle, IMHO, but the service attitude is pathetic. Am I just living in the wrong part of North America-- or have some of you had similar problems?

BTW, FRAM now lists an AC element for the Tracker 2-liter, numbered 8069-- but none of the auto parts stores here have it :-(
    i hade the same problem as you did.. i was searching for a air filter for my 1999 4x4 2 door tracker. but had no luck except as auto-zone stores. but i ordered a K&N aorfilter for mine, because it was only $40 and you can reuse it for the life of the tracker. i wanted to do that instead of doing the $20 a filter everytime it needed one. that fram part # that you listed. NO ONE carries that at all. i searched so hard. so stores even said that , that part # doesn't exsist.! but autozone also had my oil filters too! and not only did they have it. but they had it in many differnt brands too !! Mobil1, k&n, & many others. but personally i would AVOID all fram products. if you ever researched oil filters and air filter. then you will see that fram is all Hype.. on many many independant oil filter testsm they all said fram's oil filters were acutally Below average in their standards. and in many cases cheap cheesy named filters actually filtered out dirt Better than fram.. i used fram my whole life until i started research this stuff. I also read where frams owners changed hands a few years ago. so it is the same name but not the same quality.. 8(
    oh well just a word of advice..

i use mobil1 oil filter
    and K&n airfilter.
    and amsoil fluids in everything
    Gene58, you don't live in the wrong part of North America. You just live in North America, where bigger is better. My Tracker is the first American badged car I've owned since 1976, and it will be the last. Dealers of American cars just do not appreciate or respect buyers of small, or even mid-size products. I've really wanted to buy American over the years, but the dealers' attitudes, not the American products, have driven me away. I've purchased three new VW's, four new Audi's, and a new Suzuki Sidekick during the past twenty-six years, and every time I shopped for American products before I chose the foreign product. My only regret about buying my Tracker is that the local Chevy dealer's service department is a rip-off joint. Now that my warranty has expired, I'll be taking my Tracker to Firestone for servicing. When the time comes to trade in my Passat, you can bet that I will not be looking at a Malibu or an Impala. And when the time comes to trade in my Tracker, I'll head back to the Suzuki dealer.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    That's funny...I always thought that the Tracker was built by Suzuki and that the Tracker and Sidekick were clones???????
    See www.cami.ca
    My point exactly, Norton. I appreciate your generous unsolicited assistance in simplifying the description of my position for participants in this discussion who may be experiencing significant reading comprehension difficulties. I still believe the Tracker is a better version of the Cami products because Chevy will provide for building to individualized options, and Suzuki does not. That is why I bought the Tracker instead of a Vitara. However, I bought my Tracker through the Internet because I have no patience for sales people telling me that I REALLY NEED a Suburban, or at least a Tahoe. I'll return to Suzuki products because I am tired of Mr. Goodwrench putting the wrong lubricants in my tranny, not having routine service parts, and trying to charge me $700 for a 30,000 mile routine service.
    omg are you serious about what GM charged you for your 30k miles servicing??? now i know not everyone can go under their trackers and change their own fluids. but i did this a few months ago. I changed my Trany fluid, Front & rear axle fluid, Engine oil, and Transfer case oil. i put in 100% synthetic amsoil fluids in everything. and the costs of EVERYTHING, all the fluids and trany filter was $135.. thats not bad for putting in 100% fluids in Everything. and i even changed the plugs, i went with Platium plugs for a extra $12-$15. I never ever take anything i have to the dealer UNless it is unwarranty. or they will do the service at a discount.. check this out my mother has a 1992 Toyota previa minivan. it needed front struts. toyota said arounf $980 for the struts and the labor. we went out and bought the struts ourself. Mcpherson, and took them to another garage "not dealer". and they changed the struts & put new front tires on and balanced and alinement. all of that for ONLY $375 + what we paid for the struts which was $90 for both of them.... and that was a few years, and the struts are still working well.. so my point is "after rambling on" is there is NO need to go to the dealer.
    1 last example. GM wants $70 for a tracker bug guard. they said that included labor. so i bought one at autozone for $39.95. and you would NOT believe how easy it was to install, it took maybe at the most 3minutes to install.. NO drilling. NO M3 tape to use. it uses your exsisting wholes under the hood.
  • gene58gene58 Member Posts: 8
    Cosmo2 said, "I am tired of Mr. Goodwrench putting the wrong lubricants in my tranny,"

Yes, this concerns me also-- seems like someone in this discussion group had the wrong fluid put in and the transmission gave problems until the error was found and it was changed??

Is there any way to know the *correct* fluid to use on the Tracker automatics-- and perhaps "suggest" that fluid to the GM mechanics??
    Cosmo,
    Why not just keep the Tracker and take it to your favorite Suzuki dealer for service??? {Just a thought!}
    it uses dexron III I put in amsoil synthetic automatic transmission fluid and my trany runs great! no shifting problems. also mobil1 makes a great automatic trany fluid that you could also use. i really cant see how they are putting in the wrong fluid. i mean it really isnt brain surgery.. you do NOT need to go to a DEALER just for something as easy as that. you can go to any garage for a automatic fluid drain and refill.. actually i did mine myself and it took "maybe" 15 minutes if that..
    Gene and Chris, I said "lubricant", not fluid. I shift for myself, thank you. The GM service bulletin advises Mr. Goodwrench to use P/N 12345349 rather than P/N 12346190 as the lubricant for manual transmissions in 1999 and 2000 Trackers. My Mr. Goodwrench must be illiterate.

During the warranty period, I take my vehicles to the dealer for routine servicing because I assume that they are aware of changes in specifications, and I want insurance that the dealer cannot blame me or other mechanics for problems that may arise during the warranty period. I'm usually willing to pay the higher dealer service rates for this service. I just had my Passat serviced, and the VW dealer charged me a whopping $24 for an oil change, bumper-to-bumper inspection, and advice on what I could fix myself to save money. I certainly have no complaints about that.

And, Norton, I said that WHEN the time comes to trade in my Tracker, I'll return to Suzuki. I LIKE this rig! It does what I bought it to do. Judging from the way it runs when I keep it away from Mr. Goodwrench, the time to trade it in is probably 3 to 5 years down the road. In the meantime, Firestone or the Christian garage down the block will probably be just fine for routine annual servicing.
    When draining the transmission of a 2000 2.0 Litre automatic, how much (quantity) transmission fluid do you refill? Is the owner manual correct? How much fluid remains when you just drain (as opposed to pump out)the transmission fluid? Is it worth changing the screen (filter) assuming normal transmission usage? This screen is not like a filter you would expect (paper or some other absorbant material), more like a regular fine screen.
    the owners manual is correct or at least it was for my 1999 with 4 speed..
    as for the stick shifts i was going to get a tracker in a stick until i heard about their transmissions then i said NO way. the 1999 are known for very bad manual transmission !!! and i dont know if that problem was corrected in 2000 or not. i had a manual in my ford ranger and it was great . but it did make the resale value Drop right down, cause when i traded it in. the sales man said. NOT to many people ever look for a stick shift. so this time i went for a (4-speed) automatic with a remote starter "nice for cold winters !!" or for that matter hot summers if you leave the A/C on. but as for lubes for your trany. GM oil is junk. i would put 100% synthetic. cause do you really think your garage is going to back you up if your trany goes bad.. if you are out of warranty. then you are out of luck. it doesnt matter what kinda oil you use... think about it...
  • dsjkmdsjkm Member Posts: 3
    I've heard that noise, sounds just like the frame was hit with a hard rubber mallet. Its the freewheel hub disengaging and quickly re-engaging under differential torque load and engagement pressure from the air actuator. It only happens on the 1999 model, and takes a new front differential case (inside the axle housing) which comes with the freewheel hub assembly, to fix it. It's a physics thing!
  • dsjkmdsjkm Member Posts: 3
    It best to use 5w30 at all temps, and 10w30 in temps that stay above zero F. Using 10w30 in temps below zero F just makes it harder to crank and start the engine. At 5 or 10 degrees F, my guess is that 5w30 still allows the engine to crank and start easier than 10w30, so why bother. 5w30 is widely available and costs the same. Also, using an oil where the second number is higher than 30 (5w40, or 10w40), leads to piston oil control rings that gum up, stick in their grooves and soon they don't work at all. Its not a pretty sight! Have you been wondering why your engine has been using more oil between changes? I'm guessing this is why using a 20w50 is specifically not recommended. I can just imagine that it wouldn't crank and start very well in really cold weather and that 50 weight viscosity, would clog up the rings in no time, especially, with short trip driving.
    my 1999 chevy tracker has a 2000 front axle. it came from the dealer when i bought it "used"
    the noise that i hear is Only when i engage the transfer case into 4x4 wheni am Not moving, and then as soon as i move i hear that banging noise that "we" know about. but it doesnt do it then i engage 4x4 on the move..
    0W-30 Motor Oil optimizes efficiency and power without the sacrifice in wear protection that comes with many fuel-efficient, low-viscosity oils.

Testing shows AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil dramatically outperforms popular conventional and synthetic motor oils of much higher viscosity in wear protection (see chart).

Fuel Efficient Formula

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil efficiently transfers energy from the engine to the drivetrain. Its low coefficient of friction inhibits the energy loss to "drag" common to high viscosity oils.

Motorists seeking the ultimate in fuel efficiency may use AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil in place of higher viscosity motor oils.

High Temperature Protection

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil protects in high temperatures better than do the high-viscosity conventional and synthetic oils tested (see chart). Even after extended service in the engine, Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil maintains its ability to protect in high temperatures.

Low Temperature Protection

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil is specially formulated for superior cold temperature engine protection. Series 2000 retains excellent fluidity in extremely low temperatures, so it flows quickly and reliably to allow easy starting and immediate lubricating protection.

Motorists seeking cold temperature dependability and protection may use AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil in place of higher viscosity motor oils.

Heat Stability

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil is highly resistant to volatility. For example, in heat that causes conventional motor oils to lose as much as 25 percent of their mass, AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil loses less than ten percent.

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil's resistance to volatility keeps oil consumption extremely low and, more importantly, keeps the engine thoroughly lubricated and protected. Its resistance to volatility also helps keep fuel efficiency high and emissions low.

Clean Engine Formula

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil remains free of sludge, varnish and other by-products of high temperature degradation. With no deposits to foul them, engines stay cleaner longer for top performance and efficiency and maximum service life.

Shear Stability

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil is highly shear-resistant. With AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil's excellent viscosity retention, the protection that goes into the engine is the protection that stays in the engine, even over an extended course of severe service.
    i wanted to know if anyone has put bigger tires on their tracker? now i'm not talking about going crazy with it , like some people do ! i mean just like a more off-road looking tire.. that might give it some more clearance... I have truck type tires on it now.. they really help it go off road much better that the stock street/ all-season tires that came on the tracker. my tires now have that more sqaured look around the edges.. but i was looking for that More aggressive tires patter, and that look....

thanks/ any ideas on brands?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your oil post looks like an ad for Amsoil (are you one of those multilevel marketing dealers or something?).

It's been a while since I've had time to hang out in the Synthetic motor oil discussion, but the last time I was there, all the testing touting Amsoil was done by "independent" labs paid for by Amsoil.

The other thing I came away with from there was that the typical driver didn't need to use any synthetic oil - most of us aren't zooming around in F-15's. One friend of mine who was a dealer said that the Amsoil tech told him that the molecular tails in their oil sheared off after 3,000 miles, so he was leery of the extended change interval recommendations (just anecdotal hearsay, but there it is).

Mobil 1 had a good web page before their merger with Exxon - they made no claims for any mpg or HP increases, but did say synthetics would help cold weather cranking. I lost that link a while back.

I used plain old oil for 20 years in Anchorage and my cars worked ok. If I had been in Fairbanks, maybe then I would have considered spending the extra dough for the easier cranking.

As always, YMMV...

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    yeah but your missing some of the main points of synethic oils.. Faster cold starts, because of the oil Not containing parafins.. "wax!" and better hot weather protection. now dont forget that amsoil doesnt just have 1 kind of synethic oil either. they have Over 3 differnt kinds. so what you claim that the amsoil tech told your buddy "which i see no reason to risk your job for someone you dont know nor care about" could be based on their lowest costing synethic oil. I used to work for a honda motorcycle dealer. and their was this one guy that bragged up mobil1 for years, well anyways to make a long story short. he brought his ATV in for service. "valve adjustment" and when i took off the valve adjustment covers, his head and valve train was totally 100% clean, and had no sludge. now this ATV is only air cooled and was ran for 4-5 YEARS. and at that point my opinion of synethics and mobil1 changed forever. i got to see "in the world" what synethic oils actually do. out of all the head gasket and valve adjustments that i have done. i Never seen a valve train and their compenents completely clean.. especially After years of use. Now not to brag up any One synethic oil(s) but you cant even compare regular oil to synethic, no matter what the brand.. Snyethic oil(s) is an exact science. one other thing. i use amsoil "no i dont sell it" in all my trackers lubrecation areas "transfer case. differentials , transmission and engine. and i can honestly say that i felt and seen a difference. for one thing wheni start my tracker now "it is still very cold here!" it doesnt take as long for the tachometer to go down. (2) you can actually feel the tracker drift further now, be it down hill or what not. my transmission was one of the most noticable areas. it now stifts completely smoother than it has even done before. (Very noticable) now who knows maybe it would do the same with mobil1 synethics too.. but i am just saying what i saw and felt with amsoil.. and btw anyone that wouldnt change their oil for 25,000mile to 35,000miles should be shot for being so stupid. with any synethic oil you can double if not triple your drain intervals. Now when i worked for honda. the Lead Service tech had a brother that went to Penn State, for chemical Engineering. and they did their own testing on oils. but i'm not going to get into that now, this is to long as it is. it basically comes down to this. either (1) you are too old and closed minded to believe oils could ever evolve and Improve. "if cars and become More efficent and improve on getting MORE horsepower from a little 4 banger then why couldnt an oil"
    or (2) you are too cheap to buy the good stuff, and need to find ways to justify your "cheapiness" and lack of understanding of technology and its advancements. It just makes me laugh when someone thinks that products can't improve.. I mean really.. think about it .Oil of all things. why cant oil improve? All i know is i seen it in the real world. without needing to listen to what others say.. it isnt all about how long your engine lasts. it is about how it proforms too.. oh well. research some of this stuff for your self. dont just do the my cousins uncles former roomate once said.......or the i talked the the president of Mobil and he said not to buy their stuff because it is all the samething and synethic oils is just a big joke. and hey btw do you want to play tennis this weekend.. lol lol
    Tennis would be fun.

You bring the balls - I'm almost 50 and too frugal (read too old & cheap) to buy them for us ;-)

I think you'd enjoy the Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 discussion too (it's another one I used to follow but didn't have time to stay current with).

Ok, back to the Tracker I guess (unless you want to ask me how I feel about aftermarket air filters, lol).

Steve
    Host
    most of them are junk especially fram. I used a K&N on my tracker and felt NO difference at all..
    now on my ford ranger i did feel a difference, it gave me more low end power and a quick responce at take off. but for the average driver there is no need to buy expensive air filters. UNless you buy a k&n for it's re-usable feature.
    New Rollover Ratings and New Crash Test Results

Steve
    Host
    doesn anyone out there know the biggest tire size that can fiton a "stock" chevy 1999 chevy tracker rim. i have 205/75/15 on it right now
    but i would like to get MUD tires But they dont sell them that small.. i was wondering if anyone has messed around with bigger tire sizes..
    Just purchased a 2002 Silver Tracker Lt and am looking to purchase a smoke colored bug deflector {one that is sharp looking and would fit existing predrilled holes} and formed mud guards. If anyone knows of a place on-line or major chain automotive supply store that sells same...please reply.
    i bought my bug shield from AUTOZONE. and it is smoke colored, and fit the pre-exsisting holes,
    and it was a joke to install.. no lie it took maybe 2 minutes if that!!! and it looks great and form fits the hood perfectly... it cost at autozone $39.95 the chevy dealer wanted $70+ for the same exact thing.. and told me that it was hard to install.. lol lol what a rip off
  • woody72woody72 Member Posts: 73
    I saw a '98 Sidekick with BFGoodrich Radial All Terrain 215/75/15. These have an aggressive tread pattern, like the old 'snow' tire.
    Thanks
    I found an internet comp. {autoaccessory.com} that had "free shipping" and their prices were very similar to JCWhitney, so I went ahead and ordered the Ventvisor,window shields, the Lund interceptor bug shield and four pre-formed mudguards from them. 5 to 7 day shipping {free shipping only with orders over $100.00}.
    I will folloiw-up this message after I receive and install same.
    good job in finding a place with free shipping.yeah you'll have to let me know how everything looks when it is all done. I just today, put on BFGoodRich (ALL-TERRAIN) tires on my 2-door 1999 4x4 tracker. My neighbor keeps telling me that my tracker now looks like a mini-monster truck.. lol i put on this size 215/75/15, i had 205/75/15, but they were a "car-like" all-season tire, which when used off road, didnt do too bad. but when it got wet outside them tires couldnt grip for "SH*t" . these tires got excellent ratings, so i cant wait to take them off-road.!! yeah these babies out

they are the (ALL-TERRAIN ) (ko)

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com
  • spideymike1spideymike1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, new to the board and hope I am not covering a topic. First, I have a 2dr 2001 w/10k on it. Everything with the truck has been great except for the speakers. Are the ones Chevy install all bad or what? I get cracking everytime I turn the volume anything higher than "mute". When I took it to the dealer (probably the 1st mistake) to have him check on it He tells me they've blown and this happens all the time to low-end vehicles. Went on to tell me that I can have zero bass set and they will still crap out. Does this make sense to anyone? Has anyone had the same issues? Also, has anyone upgraded their stereo? I'd love to hear any ideas.
  • infinia1infinia1 Member Posts: 174
    anyone have a problem with a squeaking clutch? dealer had tried to fix 3 times, first by replacing bushings then by greasing it twice. still squeaks and is very annoying. taking it back on monday. they will have to contact gm to try to figure it out they said. only other problems with 12,000 miles was the cd-radio had to be replaced because of inoperative button, and rear washer sprayer needed adjustment because it didn't spray far enough up the window for the wiper to clean it. otherwise great little truck. took it 4wheeling past weekend and it did wonderful. of course this is with better tires than it came with.
    hey about your speakers. I had to replace all 4 of mine espeically the front ones!!! i put alpines in and now everything sounds great.. them speakers are 100% junk. my blew out in no time at all.. and the funny things is, is that i do NOT listen to music loud.. but i do listen to some music that may tend to have some strong bass to it. but still they shouldnt have blown out that easily.. btw i installed my own speakers
    the front and rear take (6-1/2)inches speakers.
    the rear is easy to install, but the front. i had to do some mod's to it so that they would stay in place.! so the front ones you might want to have a place like bestbuy install them. becayse that way it is all on them if something goes wrong or if something doesnt workout,
  • spideymike1spideymike1 Member Posts: 6
    Glad to hear it's not just me. I'm the same way, I don't really listen to my music loud however with the soft top on the highway ya gotta turn it up a little to hear it. Makes you wonder what they were thinking! I went to www.crutchfield.com because they have a feature on their site "what fit's in my car" Although you can't choose the 2dr version, they have speakers that they list as fitting without mod. I guess it comes down to what you choose? Has anyone added a subwoofer/bass tube? Do they sound ok if you have the soft top on/off?
    i actually checked into that, they "bestbuy" said that i could use my alpines as the mid-range and treble and add a basstube as the only source for bass. but i started thinkning about that, because i also own a 2dr softtop.. i started getting worried about how easy it would be to steal that basstube . especially if someone knows you have it in your tracker. and then not only would you be replacing that.. but also a soft-top.... 8( but see i have that storage option on mine. it just means that if someone does rip your top open they cant get into that back area unless they open the gate. I want a nice basstube with a amp built in. but also i really cant afford to lose anymore space. cause as you know the tracker 2dr isnt much for storage space. 8( but with the 2 alpines i installed. they create lots of bass. just when you order speakers look for the LOWEST rating in HZ (bass) and the highest rating in Khz (treble)
    that just gives you a overall better freq response. the alpines at best buy were only like $60 a pair !! and they can handle some power and bass too !!