Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• spectrabluespectrablue Member Posts: 28
    "Manual ECO mode for improved mileage. Anybody have any ideas what this is about?"

Don't know all the details yet, as I haven't taken delivery, but it basically limits the amount of output of the A/C and Heater to allow the engine to shut down under a wider range of conditions.
  • jtdpxjtdpx Member Posts: 19
    Anybody know the weight of the TCH 16 x 6.5 alloy wheels? They are the same as the standard alloy wheels on the XLE (8 spoke allow wheels). Toyota sure does not know. If one wants to replace them with aftermarket alloy wheels, one does not want to get heavier ones.
  • anniemfuseanniemfuse Member Posts: 66
    Is it true the Camry Hybrid does NOT offer the center console sliding armrest that is on the XLE? At minimum this should be an upgrade option, if not downright free on the high-trim-level hybrid.
  • spectrabluespectrablue Member Posts: 28
    I have a feeling we aren't getting the sliding armrest on the Hybrid. All the pictures I've seen show a console like on the CE/LE. Too bad cause the one on the SE with the different cup holder covers is much better.
  • john312john312 Member Posts: 24
    Everything I've seen written down plus talking with my dealer seems to show that the sliding armrest is only available on the XLE.
    However there is nothing stopping us from going over to Parts and replacing the regular armrest with the sliding one. (That is what I'm planning to do.)
    Please keep us posted whether this solution is workable (replace Hybrid armrest with sliding XLE armrest)- it's a good idea and I will do the same if there is compatibility. Thanks.
  • lvwlvw Member Posts: 14
    I just selected the hybrid version I wanted (base version, with a couple of minor accessories added). The only thing I wanted and could not get was fog lights, very useful in the winter here in Ontario. Has anyone investigated the idea of adding aftermarket lights to the hybrid, or maybe just getting the lights from another Camry model? (Those look like they would fit, but I'm saying that after just looking in the brochure. No hybrids on the lot yet!)
  • fullofbeansfullofbeans Member Posts: 33
    my understanding is that bisque it the only other interior colour avail. in Canada.
    was wondering if a remote car starter can be installed. I was told def. not on the prius. I asked the salesman about the TCH. He said he didn't think so.

tx
    Does anyone know where they are being built? One dealer told me Japan. Another insisted they are coming out of Kentucky.

tx
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    Initially cars will be built in Japan. Later in the year they will be built in Kentucky.
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    I may be wrong, but what would the remote starter do? Doesn't the electric motor run pretty exclusively when the vehicle is in "park"? If you left the defroster running, and you COULD remote start, will the heat even work? If the heat is electric, it should, but if it is based on the heat generated by the I.C.E.?

Just curious.
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Well, the A/C IS electrically powered. Here in the desert SW, where summer highs are over 100 degrees, it would be nice to be able to cool the car down without using gas prior to entering it. Just a thought.
    I read this about the AC and I think I saw a mention of the heat, though I cannot be certain. There are just SO many unknowns with this product right now. I'm still trying to get a photo of the TCH trunk and NOT just the close-up of the battery. I want to see just how big 10.6 cu ft feels!
  • lanceqlanceq Member Posts: 16
    I have heard that Central Atlantic Toyota has finally issued the official MSRP on the three Hybrid packages. Does anyone have these?
    Thanks,
    lance
  • willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    I was # 3 in my local dealership to put money down and order a TCH. When can I realistically expect to have it delivered?
    :shades:
    I don't have the numbers, but earlier in the week Kay Jennings Toyota in Springfield VA showed me a sheet with 3 "combinations" of TCH. Combo 1 was just the base model, but apparently it does add heated side mirrors. Combo 2 adds sunroof. Combo 3 adds SR, leather, heated seats, NAV. You could try calling them at (703) 451-0300.

I am NOT in any way affiliated with this dealership.
  • toyojotoyojo Member Posts: 8
    Manual ECO mode for improved mileage. Anybody have any ideas what this is about?

It will divert energy away from accesories (heat/air) to the batteries.
  • lawguy661lawguy661 Member Posts: 17
    I happened to be near my dealership today, so I stopped by to check on the status of the TCH I placed a deposit on. Initially, I was number 11 on the list, but apparently a few of the 10 people ahead of me have dropped off the list.

Anyway, long story short, dealer shows me a list of vehicles coming into port (must be Long Beach) that have been marked for delivery. My dealer is apparently earmarked to get two TCH delivered into port on April 29, 2006, and transported to the dealer shortly thereafter (dealer says in the showroom late next week).

Well, it just so happens that the first vehicle coming in is fully loaded in the dark grey color (just like the one I requested). It is apparently mine for the taking once it gets here. I will keep everyone posted. I doubt it will really be in next week, but you never know.
    Thanks. Keep us posted on what develops there. I ordered mine on April 12th and was told I was # 3 on the list so we'll see.
    I asked for bright white or blue ribbon but also like the dark grey as well.. I ordered the full leather,nav access. package for $2,140 add on.
    Good luck.
    Bill :)
  • lanceqlanceq Member Posts: 16
    Thanks bmgoodman. I will stop by and talk to them. I have actually talked to Kay Jennings about a month ago. They turned me off with telling me I would have to give them three color selections. I only want one color when paying $30,000 for a car. It will be extremely interesting to see how all of this pricing plays out. Those (like myself) who orders early are somewhat behind the eight ball on this process luckily the ordering process is non binding....
    Take care,
    lance
  • tchthinkingtchthinking Member Posts: 8
    What do people think? I've not seen one yet, so I wonder:
    1. Does the battery weight mean the car sways a bit?
    2. Is the trunk really tiny?
    3. Does the driver's seat give good thigh support?
    Thanks for your thoughts.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Well since none have been delivered yet it's hard for the public to know. The only reports are the few preproduction models given to some automotive testers and the resulting reports.

AFAIK there have been no comments about 'sway'. I'd doubt it too since the battery is located amidship and low to the ground about the center of gravity.

The trunk will be smaller but it's a personal preference. For me it would not be a problem.

Seats? Go to a Toyota store and drive an XLE 4c. That's the closest model to the new TCH. Again personal preference.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...the battery is located amidship and low to the ground about the center of gravity.

The trunk will be smaller but it's a personal preference."

kdhspyder - I'm confused. I thought the trunk was smaller because that's where the battery pack was located (under the trunk floor). I'm trying to figure out how a battery pack located in the trunk area would place it amidship? Last time I checked, the trunk area was NOT amidship.....
    Suggest reading the "First Drive" review with this link:
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=109049
    It has excellent things to say about the TCH.. Trunk space didn't seem to suffer much from the other TC models since the battery configuration is actually under the back seat. The battery weighs about 300 pounds so it is not unlike having your mother in law in the back seat during quick turns. ( :D

Enjoy the article. Hope it answers some of your questions.
    Bill
    If it's under the rear seat and in front of the rear wheels I'd consider this 'amidship'. I haven't seen it in person yet so I'm open to be corrected but IMO it's centrally located between the wheels and low to the ground.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "If it's under the rear seat and in front of the rear wheels I'd consider this 'amidship'."

I would too.

But how much of the trunk is UNDER THE REAR SEAT. And if the battery pack is UNDER THE REAR SEAT, why would the trunk be smaller?

Perhaps the gas tank was relocated on the hybrid model. Now I'm wondering if the gas tank is under the rear seat on the standard Camry but perhaps it is relocated to a point under the trunk on the hybrid model to make room for the battery pack? That would account for the trunk being smaller on the hybrid even if the battery pack is not under the trunk.
    And just to add more confusion, how will the fold down rear seats work if a chunk of the trunk volume, to the rear of the seats is battery?
    Great question and I don't know. 3 weeks or so.
    my understanding is that the battery weighs 150 pounds. I wouldn't be worried about lateral sway.
    As for the fold down rear seat. My dealer in Ottawa, Canada tells me that the diff w/ the seats is that the height opening is less due to the battery placement.
    I'm also looking for a proper picture of this to no avail. I also have heard conflicting stories from 3 different dealers in town. First shipment: end of June, Mid July and late August.
    It may be regional but the first ones will hit stores around May 10th and then soon thereafter.
    Here's a photo of the battery (fifth photo down on left side). It looks to me as if the view is from the rear passenger compartment, with both seats folded down, looking through to the trunk. There is still a modest pass-through area, larger than the tiny pass-through on the XLE.

It looks as big as the 3+ cubic feet it takes away from the trunk volume.

(I couldn't figure out how to post the jpg file here so it's a link.)

link title
    April 26, 2006 (SmartPros) -- The IRS announced that the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid ...qualifies for a hybrid tax credit of $2,600.

Taxpayers may claim the full amount of the allowable credit up to the end of the first calendar quarter after the quarter in which the manufacturer records its sale of the 60,000th vehicle. For the second and third calendar quarters after the quarter in which the 60,000th vehicle is sold, taxpayers may claim 50 percent of the credit. For the fourth and fifth calendar quarters, taxpayers may claim 25 percent of the credit. No credit is allowed after the fifth quarter.
  • degdeg Member Posts: 14
    Since they are only making 20000 for sale in the states--that is what I was told, sounds like everyone gets full credit. Anyone know if that 20000 units for US is correct for 2006??? :confuse:
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The 60,000 is for all Toyota/Lexus hybrids combined.
    Credit? Don't forget it is subject to the Grim Reaper - the Alt Min Tax! So... if you and your partner bust your butts and make a good living, kiss the credit goodbye.
    TCH shipments should average about -
    4000/mo from Japan beginning in May ( 8 x 4000 )
    3000/mo from KY beginning in Nov ( 2 x 3000 )

I'd estimate about 40000 total units in the US this year. The full credit will expire ( unless extended ) on Sept 30th, when it will go to a 50% credit, then 25% credit in 1st Qtr next year, then zero thereafter ( unless extended by Congress ).

All subject to AMT as noted above, consult your tax advisor.
  • john312john312 Member Posts: 24
    I found a link to the same picture but in higher detail link

Unfortunately I haven't seen one yet from outside the trunk looking in.
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    I saw the Camry Hybrid at the NY Auto Show. The Battery is located at the front of the trunk, right behind the rear seats and extends above the floor of the rest of the trunk. The pass through is about 2/3rds of the width, starting on the right side of the car. The battery blocks the left side of the space behind the seats. Its really "under" the rear seat head rests, but a good distance below them. The pass-through is like a rectangular tunnel, maybe 7 or 8 inches from front to back, about as high, and (I'm guessing)about 20 inches wide.
    Thanks for the Picture link John312 ! It appears to be from the cabin with the 60/40 rear seats folded down. It appears we will give up quite a bit of trunk space after all. Oh well, you can't have everything. Hope my golf clubs still fit in the trunk!.
    Bill
    So the pass thru will handle some 2x4's, skis, but not the electric keyboard.
    Thank you! This is the ONLY description I have found ANYWHERE and I have really been searching. Did you happen to notice if there are any storage compartments anywhere in the trunk or if the spare tire holder can hold a full size as opposed to just a donut tire?

Thanks again!
  • library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    Your welcome- I didn't see any more storage doors or the spare tire, sorry.

The specs say the trunk is smaller by one third, a little over 10 cu ft. vs 14 for the other Camrys. And the fuel tank is slightly smaller.

Take a tape measure to your dealer next month! ;) I will!
    I will take a tape measure, assuming a TCH stays on the lot long enough for me to take a look! If you do get the opportunity, I'd appreciate if you also took a digital camera to get a few shots! I'll do the same if I get the opportunity.
    from prius.chat....

Jan-March (Quarter 1) total Toyo/Lexus hybrids sold = 42,175
  • houtex1houtex1 Member Posts: 82
    I found a picture of the hybrid trunk. It's hard to tell from a picture, but doesn't look too bad. The pass-thru area between the trunk and the cabin does look small small though.

• jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "estimated in stock date of June 1st" They don't even have the car yet. Lame
  • killerpiecekillerpiece Member Posts: 56
    This is probably a dumb question, but what does the DISP button do?

Thanks in advance!

Killerpiece :shades: