Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    edited September 2010
    If I were guessing, the lady probably changed her mind about the car before she even got there. Then, as you said, nit-picked it to death. I would have felt obligated to have bought it regardless of what the wife said... and gulp... lived with the consequences. A deal is a deal.

I test drove the Highlander about 6 years ago. It's a really nice midsize SUV. It didn't have the soft comfortable ride most Toyotas are known for, but could have had the tires over inflated. Also, the 3rd row seat was too small for human occupancy. A perfect 4 seater though.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You could be right. Who knows?

For guys like you and me, "a deal is a deal" but for some people those words or even a handshake mean nothing.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    My attention span is gone will post the last installment later but there was a problem looming

Good story and nicely played jayrider. Way to leave us hanging on by the seat of our pants... take your ritalin and get back to us asap. (wink eye)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    I just rode in a new Highlander on Saturday night. It was quiet with a very nice ride (better than my Genesis) and pretty roomy. Toyota's 2GR V6 is a pretty sweet engine as well (same as was in my 06 Avalon).. My mother also had an 05 V6 and was a very good vehicle, the new Highlander is a bit bigger and more powerful.

Fezo, that food site is pretty cool.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    It looks as though Jayrider has learned from the Mack school of posting. Let's hope he follows through with the rest of the story.

I'm sure that Mack is on his internet connection in heaven, chuckling over how well his disciple has done.
  • Options
    Yep!

I miss Mackabee. He was a good person.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    >He was a good person.

I found he was good beyond description. I couldn't have done what he went through with the grace with which he did it.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I couldn't have either.

Toward the end, we exchanged several personal emails.

For me, it was like losing a good friend.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    edited September 2010
    That story about the Acura not sold, just stuck a cord with me (not an Accord).
    I have a friend who is a very successful business person; very detail oriented, and can be a shark with a buck.
    He decided he wanted a nice few year old car of the brand Driver likes, as a grocery getter.
    Looked for several months, then found the perfect car.
    It was at a dealer that sold a different brand, but he got them to take it to an OEM dealer to get checked out to make sure everything was up to snuff.
    A couple things were fixed and it was all set for him to pick up, maybe 150 miles from where we live.
    After he gets it home, he is detailing it the next day (detail oriented in more than one way) and finds something wrong with the rear bumper.
    It didn't look right to him, so he crawls underneath and guess what? There is some damage under there.
    I stopped over to see the new ride and to be honest, I didn't know enough about that particular car to notice the flaw, but he did, and believe me he was not happy about it
    In honor of MACKABEE... to be continued.
    Actually, I am going to end it now. It took months to play out and that dealer was sorry they sold him that car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Just finished golf -- wife beat me bad and I'm pretty decent. Didn't know Mackabee but while teeing up on the 17th hole next to a cornfield heard a soft whispering from behind the stalks saying " Wait til tomorrow and they will read" Taking that advice.
  • Options
    What kind of damage? Anything can be fixed.

Only one out of 10,000 (if that) would look under a car. I know I wouldn't.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Meanwhile, no word today from Richard. Must be at the Toyota dealer.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    that and the Nissan dealer to look at the pathfinder I recommended. can't get any boxier and square edged than one of those babies.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    SG,
    Nissan SUV`s have been so poor that they make CR`s worst list of vehicles along with the 04+ Quest. They have horrible brake and quality problems. Armada,titan,Pathy,Quest--their entire SUV line up has been in shambles. The Rogue--a CUV-- is better but smaller. :shades:
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    It appears that they are trying to use a noun as an adjective. Cashmere as a color is not often seen or used.

Not knowing much about the difference between a noun and an adjective, I can’t comment about that. However, when Mrs. jmonroe and I were engaged, the Christmas before our wedding my Mother suggested a cashmere sweater with a mink collar as a gift (they seemed to be very popular in that era). Since I’ve always followed suggestions from the women in my life I bought one for her (of course she liked it). The sweater color was light beige with a typical dark brown mink collar. My Genny has an interior color that is called “cashmere” which is the same color as that sweater. So, when I hear a color described as “cashmere”, I’m inclined to think about the “color” of the sweater and the car’s interior.

To all: In post 58634, the word "too" should have been "two". Glad that I caught it before you did.

Believe it or not I caught it. But I ain’t the one to be correcting grammar stuff. ;)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    Let's just leave it at 'It happens'. I am not trying upset anyone, my nature is just to question things or present an alternate point of view.
    A lot of posters know about you and Richard, so I think I owe the group something about me.
    Basically, I work in software.
    It's not the fancy stuff people usually think about, more like find the missing $1.22 in this million dollar contract, or why don't these line items add up.
    When I was a professional 'greenpea', I went to a meeting where the Boss gave a little speech about being presented financial numbers. His advice, Is it a good number or a bad number?
    Another time, I had a big problem I couldn't figure out. Bought it to my boss.
    He took it home, diagrammed it out on a piece of paper for me and said just break the big problems into smaller ones and figure them out one at a time.
    I think I still have that paper maybe 25 years later.
  • Options
    So Saturday morning the deal is done -- trade in set and price of the car agreed upon with $152 doc fee - tax- title-plates. Picking it up on Monday -- will call to set the time but figuring early afternoon. Feeling good and a bit pumped. Toyota offers .9% financing/60 months for $750. Crunched the numbers and saves about $700-$800 over the 750 compared to my credit union so I figure to dump everything into the loan and put zero down. Convenient to do everything at the dealer.
    Got out the lease stuff on my murano and figure I'll double check what I owe -- figured it at about 25k. Automated voice says I owe $22600 to exit the lease. I started singing the Celebration song and the phone rings -- it's the salesman. He proceeds to tell me that his sales manager went out on the lot and had a bunch of lower body mouldings installed on the new prius's and put one on the prius I was buying. Tells me it looks real nice and costs $260. I asked what the heck was a lower body moulding and he explained. It serves no purpose except to enhance the look of the car. I said I really wasn't interested and he said it wouldn't be a deal breaker but it looked really good on the car. I told him I wasn't interested so he could either throw it into the deal at no cost or uninstall the accessory without damaging the paint. He said he'd get back to me. We hung up.
    Since this deal was predicated on a handshake and a verbal agreement, I figured I was free to shop it since he changed the terms without asking me. There was no deposit. Likewise, he was free to sell the car to someone else. There were plenty of cars like mine on lots in the area. Of course there weren't many buyers for hybrids in St. Louis --- this isn't California.
    He never called me back on Saturday, so I started a new search for an alternative dealership. I stewed a bit on Sunday. Not happy but reluctant to cancel because I figured the trade in allowance would be hard to beat.
    I called back on Monday morning and all was well. No charge for the add-on. Drove up at 1:00 and started the process. The place was actually pretty busy selling cars. Greeted by the sales rep -- chit chat- some preliminary paperwork where I opted out of the mop and glow and maintenance package. The F&I mgr took his time showing me all the essentials like credit life and payment insurance. Also they had a rider for your insurance policy that gave you a new car within 3 years should your car be toteled in a crash. My policy offers that for $20. My wife and I just sat there and politely said no thanks and signed a paper that affirmed we had been offered all these products and officially rejected them. One note -- he offered the extended warranty 7 years/75k miles zero deductible - regularly 2400 for 1800. I don't feel these warranties are wise choices but this is a hybrid not a corolla so repairs and most parts are dealer only and EXPENSIVE. Said I would get back to him and he said if you roll it into the loan it would only be $28 more per month. I told him, not today.
    Finally, the delivery and as we walked to the car I was pretty pumped. The sales rep was equally amped and commented to my wife "Aren't you excited about your new car "? He was all smiley and joyful when she looked him in the eye and said "No -- it's just a car." You know the saying "take the wind out of your sails"?
    He stopped dead in his tracks as his jaw dropped to his chest. He got back on track and focused his attention on me as we went over the cars features. She did have some questions on the operation of the car and was friendly so everything went well.
    About the deal -- feel I did as well as I could and love the car. My wife likes it as well and though I have zero opinion on the moulding [it's silver and almost invisible on my silver car] she actually likes it. Go figure. Zoom-Zoom. :shades:

PS Found the extended warranty from another dealer for $654. Called the finance man at my dealer and he said he couldn't match the price. Two weeks later,I wrote an email to the owner praising my experience and the sales rep and said I was buying the warranty from another dealer but would prefer to buy it from him for the $654. I didn't say the finance mgr had already said no. If he could match the price no problem -- if not no hard feelings. Got a call from the finance guy the next day saying he was happy to sell it to me for that price. Toyota loves satisfied customers, I suppose.
    Lastly, already have 2500 miles on the prius -- took a 1200 round trip drive to Pa.- and have no complaints. Can't recommend this car for everyone but we're both VERY happy with our choice. BTW -- averaging 53 mpg. :D
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    I hope Richard is not speeding across the country in a run-a-way Toyota !! Richard, put it in neutral or hit the kill switch !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    "I guess it all depends on their major. If a student majors in something like Classical Greek Mythology, he'd better get used to repeating the words, "Welcome to Wal~Mart!"

Then again, there are plenty of classical studies programs at major universities and colleges including the University of Pennsylvania in your neck of the woods. I would think the faculty in their classics department earn a tad better salary than the typical Walmart worker. Some rudimentary knowledge of Greek and Latin used to be considered essential for those entering the sciences, medicine and the law.

Gogiboy
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "That story about the Acura not sold, just stuck a cord with me (not an Accord)."

Ex--

If Richard was here manning his post instead of buying a car or enjoying life he would have told you the cliche is "struck (or strikes) a chord" as in the story reminded you...

Or maybe he would simply let it go. He seems to be easing up on the editing lately probably because it's much more fun to write about his own car adventures than correct the mistakes of others.

Gogiboy
  • Options
    There are loads of field where they don't give a flip what you majored in at college - just that you managed to get through. Loads of businesses hire their entry level folks like that because they don't want a bunch of folks who think they know all about the business they are starting in because they majored in it at college.

Of course there is always law school. My brother majored in comparative religion and went6 straight to law school. Trust me - he ain't working at Wal Mart.

Heck, I had a promotion aimed at me for an MBA and I was an English major!

Takes all kinds.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    Yes we are certainly spoiled, I have about 10 pizza stores within a mile radius and they are all great.

I wish I could say the same about the pizza shops in the eastern Burgh area where I live. I have my share of Italian friends and Italian food is my favorite (other than a good old American steak). There are tons of good Italian restaurants around these parts but for some reason they don’t make good pizza around here as far as I’m concerned. There are only two pizza shops that I go to around me. I’m not running into the Burgh (about 12 miles) just for a pizza although a ride in with the Genny wouldn’t kill me (vain attempt to be a little on topic here). ;)

I guess you can call me a pizza snob. There is no way I’m going to open my mouth for any of the national chain pizzas and I feel the same about the local pizza chains around here. They bring pizza in to where I work for meetings etc. and I just can’t eat that stuff. My family knows that I’m this way and when they think of getting a pizza at their local shop, I say, “I’ll have tuna fish, thank you”. :sick:

Like I said…very snobby.

jmonroe

• Options
    Yeah, there are lots of places where the local stuff might as well be Pizza Hut.

I was lucky as all get out in the year I lived in Tallahassee. Thought for sure I was out of luck on pizza but a guy from New York who had awards from the 64 World's Fair for best pizza opened up a place and it was great. He was gone a year later so I was lucky on my timing. At the time the rest of the places in town were generic.

I can deal with cities other than New York that have their own style of pizza. That is to say New York style is real pizza but Boston has a different idea as to what constitutes pizza and Chicago certainly does but fine examples of those cane be found and they are great.

Now if we got back to lemko's cheesesteaks we could have some real fun.
  • Options
    It remains to be seen if I have hung myself with that cord.
    You have done his job by proxy.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    I went on a diet, a couple of years ago, and one of things I changed, was to not eat pizza unless I really loved it... There are about 4-5 places within ten miles of here where I'll eat pizza... and, when I do.. it's worth the calories.. The other places? If I get stuck going to them, I'm having a salad..

Of course, giving up the free pizza they have at work, occasionally.. just about killed me... :(

Next installment? We discuss the changes in the beer portion of my diet..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    That is to say New York style is real pizza but Boston has a different idea as to what constitutes pizza and Chicago certainly does but fine examples of those cane be found and they are great.

One of the places that I go to around me touts itself as authentic “New York Style” pizza but I don’t care what it’s called as long as it tastes good to me. FWIW, the two places that I like have sausage that is sliced not the ground stuff that looks like rabbit…nah, I better not go any further with that because I’m sure that ain’t tolerated around here no matter how many sales tales you might have under your belt. ;)

jmonroe

• Options
    Next installment? We discuss the changes in the beer portion of my diet..

As long as its Genny I'll go with ya or is that Gennie? Where's 'driver' when you need him? :surprise:

jmonroe

• Options
    cdn_tchcdn_tch Member Posts: 194
    Congrats on the new ride! There are some good people on greenhybrid.com that can provide more info on driving a hybrid.
  • Options
    tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    Good story, thanks for posting. I don't understand why the dealer that will not match a better price always has to bad mouth the other dealer.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • Options
    I don't know but I am always amazed at such things.

When I bought my daughter her ill-fated Camry I was also looking at an Accord that the local dealer had listed for far too much money. They wouldn't budge and were genuinely shocked that I bought something else.

Same dealership - I bought an Odyssey from them and they wanted twice the price for a Honda Care warranty than another dealer. I gave them the chance to meet the price or even to come close but they wouldn't budge. And they wonder why people go elsewhere. Of course when I needed warranty work this local dealer did the work.
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    Hi Gang,
    Just a quick note.....can't review all the posts at $1 a minute...did Richard ever get his new car. Why not cut to the chase and let your wife try the GLK or Q5?

I saw a Q5 and it does look great inside. Personally, i would take either one if offered.

Rhodes Italy, was amazing and so is Kudasi and Ephusus in Turkey. Lots of cool ruins. The pyramids on Friday.
    The ship is full of Americans and Canadians, with lots of British and Australians. Lots of fun with the passengers.

The traffic is crazy here. Full speed and cutting in and out. I was really impressed with a Skoda taxi. It looked like a Jetta. The ride was smooth but firm, and the car was solid over the bumps...definitely not a floater.

I have free internet at a Starbucks right by the port in Kudasi Turkey...there's a patio right next to the ships. Beautiful downtown area.
    tty'all later

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Who was that masked man?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Things have changed in recent years but car dealerships (especially domestics) used to hate warranty work. People would drive elsewhere to save a few backs and then show up at their local store demending priority warranty work.

Warranty work doesn't pay as well as "customer pay" and the customers tend to be more demanding.

I once watched the crotchey owner of a small town Buick store throw a demanding warranty customer who had nitpicked the car he had just bought and had compiled a large "laundry list" of things he wanted done immediatly.

" If ABC Buick was good enough to sell you that car, they ought to be good enough to do your %##@& warranty work!"

" But...it's not convenient to me to drive 20 miles to get there"

" It couldn't have been too &%%$# inconvenient for you to drive there to buy the car!"

" But...your price was too high! I saved 200.00!"

" So you live in this town but you sold me out for a lousy 200.00??? Get the %$#@ out of here!!"

" I'm going to call Buick "

" Call them!...I'll do your warranty work AFTER I've taken care of all of my loyal customers...I hope you're not in any hurry!"
  • Options
    >Who was that masked man?

I think he's just rubbing it in to those of us who stay at home... grin.

• Options
    Thanks -- but as I said, I'm not into the green zone -- this prius drives pretty much like a non hybrid. In power mode, I can smoke a minivan off the line -- what more does a retired teacher need. :D
  • Options
    drove 100 miles. Saw SRX. was wrong color. wife peeved. Did not buy. Now on hold, but getting more recommendations from the peanut gallery.

also - jayrider bought a Prius, and Jolie is about to crack

• Options
    Saving a few hundred wasn't an issue for me, isell, but over 2k got my attention. The exact prius I test drove at the local dealer is still sitting on the lot along with 29 other ones. The sales rep who gave me the test drive was no green pea either. He flat out told me you couldn't get 2k off msrp on a prius even when I said it was available. In fact he said they don't discount them at all. As far as I'm concerned he didn't even deserve to match the price of the selling dealer. If you can honestly say you wouldn't drive 25 miles to save $2500, I'd be very impressed with your sense of fiscal acumen. If Honda had had a civic hatchback, I'd be driving one today and have a bunch more in the bank. I'd have even flown to Seattle to buy if you hadn't retired. :D The owner does some of his own commercials and touts the fact that he gives customers his personal phone number.
    Anyone have an opinion on whether I should call him and explain why I drove 25 miles to buy a toyota. Then ask if I'd be welcome to bring my car in for routine maintenance and warranty work ? :shades:
  • Options
    In my case with the Ody the local dealer made their bundle off for me as I maintained the van by the book through them. They were no problem with warranty work at all. Just a mystery to me why they wouldn't move over a really inflated price of that warranty. I'd have been fine with giving them that business.
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Why not cut to the chase and let your wife try the GLK or Q5?

If you're going to waste your time suggesting that Richard try anything that's German, which he almost certainly won't do, you might as well ask him to wait until the next-generation BMW X3 hits the showrooms later this fall.
  • Options
    Where the heck IS Richard? He hasn't chimed in for a couple of days.

Maybe he found his camel interior SRX in Albuquerque and is on the road to get it....
  • Options
    They were no problem with warranty work at all.

I only had one problem with warranty work and that was on an Oldsmobile that was leaking water inside. The original selling dealer went out of business and the next closest dealer didn't want to touch it. Well.... they never said that, but when I called them to schedule an appointment and what the problem was I was given a date that was 5 weeks out. I said that was the soonest? I don't recall exactly what the comment was, but it was something along the lines of "for a water leak on a vehicle not purchased from us, yes"

• Options
    Where the heck IS Richard?

Working a deal on a Highlander! ;) (wink)

• Options
    >Where the heck IS Richard? He hasn't chimed in for a couple of days.

Where's Waldo...

I think he drove to Philadelphia to take a look at the Gold Mist Caddy with 9000 miles.I could learn to love any interior for such a low mileage car, as long as the car passes an inspection showing no accidents as the reason for the long life with low mileage.

• Options
    yeah, I agree in this this case. After seeing pictures (obviously not as good as in person), the camel and cashmere were not all that much different. At lest in the same family.

not like black vs. beige, that is for sure!

• Options
    delthekingdeltheking Member Posts: 1,152
    Who knows?? Probably,he may even test drive one and then anything may happen. If after his Cadillac ownership experience,he is still OK with buying a Cadillac,then a MB GLK is fair game too !!! :P ;)
  • Options
    No, of course, I would have done the same thing. 2500.00 is a LOT of money.

Some stores refuse to "cheap sell" their car and I respect that too. If they can find people to pay them a decent profit then, more power to them.

Because of many requests, Honda DID come back into the market with a hatchback in 2002. They were called SI's and they were a flop.

I only brought up the warranty isue because some people seem to think tht they are doing a store a big favor by bringing them warranty work on cars purchased elsewhere. The Service Depts don't care where you bought your car but warranty work isn't a gravy sort of thing that they enjoy doing.
  • Options
    I never heard many complaints about warranty work. When I was in the tool business I heard NOTHING but complaints from the domestic guys.

Maybe things are better now?
  • Options
    That's because NOTHING is more vexacious work than trying to track down a water leak of some rattle that comes and go's.

The manufactures pay a flat rate for this and it usually isn't nearly enough.

Can't hardly blame that dealer.
  • Options
    I'm glad the rep was upfront with me on the dealer policy -- saved me money and time. But as I said, virtually every prius there 5 weeks ago is still there.
    Speaking of warranties, just bought a pair of wide angle binoculars from buy.com so I can get up close and personal as I watch the Rams go 0 & 16 this year. Paid $68 with shipping and got a computer generated email -Dear Mr. J, You just purchased an electronic product from us and since 20% of these devices fail, we're sure you will want an extended warranty. Is this a great country or what !! GBA.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    "Because of many requests, Honda DID come back into the market with a hatchback in 2002. They were called SI's and they were a flop."

Isell--

I don't understand that. Like jayrider, I would likely have bought a Civic hatchback to replace our previous Civic in 07 since Honda didn't sell one (they did have the Fit, but that seemed too spartan to me). The Mazda3 (hatchback) I bought is Mazda's best seller and I looked at the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe and Ford Focus and VW GTI, which all seem to sell reasonably well otherwise their manufacturers would have dropped them.

Honda isn't even consistent since they have, in effect, come out with an Accord hatchback called the Crosstour. If it was a bad idea for the Civic why is it a good idea for the Accord? Maybe it's a different marketing strategy.

Gogiboy
This discussion has been closed.