Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i 2007+

rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
edited September 2014 in BMW
I see reported a couple of places now that BMW will release a 300+ HP Twin Turbocharged version of their straight six in (at least) the 3 Series Coupe for 2007.

Confirmation, anyone?

In the Sedan as well, for example?

- Ray
Interested . . .
2022 X3 M40i

Comments

• jabroltajabrolta Member Posts: 32
    The rumors are true!!! Here is what car and driver had to say.
  • britcrlvrbritcrlvr Member Posts: 83
    this is a dealer gimmick so that they can get more money. Most likely these extra charges will never see use by you. My suggestion is to kindly decline.
  • matt43matt43 Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking forward to this engine for some time. Anyone know anything about expected gas mileage? How about whether the new coupe colors will carry over to the 2007 335i sedan?
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    ... has apparently been released to dealers.
    335i Base = $38,700.
    Up $2,100 over 2006 330i Sedan.
    Interesting .....
    - Ray
    Interested.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    What's going to be the top of the line price "loaded" ?

Rocky
    Story on the BMW 335i. The 335i Sedan will also be available starting in September. The 335xi "AWD" will be available March of 2007'. I'm gonna have to check one out in person. ;)

Rocky
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F69F9nT9Hg4&mode=related&search=

Rocky

P.S.

It has a great video on the 335i the way Edmunds should of test drove it. ;)
  • hedhuntr1hedhuntr1 Member Posts: 7
    30 mpg overall according to a few sites. Seems high but three different sites say that. Maybe the EU (it wasn't listed as kilometers but imperial miles) standards are somehow different. Don't really care as the car is costing me almost 50k and i am getting it to drive it like it's meant to be. THe new Mazda SUV takes premium and gets what my volvo turbo gets, 17/22. The 335i will be better than that. I don't think anyone is going to drive this beast to conserve gas. I should ghave mine by end of Septemeber.
    hedhuntr1,

Are you getting a 335i coupe or a sedan ?

Rocky
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    The 335i is rated 20/30 EPA.

The EU tests you saw is probably using imperial(british) gallons which are larger than US gallons. Their 30 combined would convert to 25 of ours, which is in line with the EPA numbers.

I get over my EPA in my bmw and i drive aggressively, so i am optimistic. :)
  • hedhuntr1hedhuntr1 Member Posts: 7
    As far as I know there is no sedan, the 335i is the coup designation. I am getting a 335i coupe, auto, heated seats, premium, space grey, light poplar wood trim, greay leather. Should be here end of September for my mountain trip....
    there is a 335i sedan for '07.

Your coupe sounds sweet. :)
    There are several links and spy pics on the net to prove me right. ;)

Rocky
    Not just spy photos. The pricing for the sedan is available too.
    really, where at ? I haven't seen that yet. ;)

Rocky
  • runonmd1runonmd1 Member Posts: 11
    Uh...should HAVE driven, not "should of." Other than that, your response was interesting and valuable.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I think you should HAVE directed that comment at rockylee, not rayainsw. Other than that, you are grammatically correct. ;)
    I attended the BMW 335i Coupe drive event near Atlanta on Sunday.

[ Pics & a short video clip posted here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/BMW%20335i/P1110769crop.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/BMW%20335i/P1110770crop.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v298/rayainsw/BMW%20335i/?action=view&current=- P1110772.flv

The video was shot with my digital still camera & further compressed on upload ( sigh ) but may give some idea of the 335i’s exhaust note \ tone. ]

I drove the 335i Coupe for 2 quick ( waaaay too quick ) laps of a very tight cone course on a large parking lot at Stone Mt. Each 335i Coupe was STEPtronic & Sport.

My current sedan = 303 \ 323 HP \ TQ and similar weight. Big differences are:
    1 - Mine = FWD and the BMW = RWD
    2 – Mine = 4 speed manumatic w/paddle shift and BMW = 6 speed

Also, the BMW has implemented the paddle up \ down as the reverse of mine and the Corvette ( another primary contender for my next acquisition ) but is otherwise similar in execution. Since the course was tight and short and I wanted to focus on the car, not time, I launched each time & upshifted to second quickly, staying in second the rest of the course.

This sort of event can certainly be fun & a few impressions gathered are interesting. But it is so far removed from most any real street driving that I draw few conclusions. That would have to wait for a test drive at my dealer.

Here are my few conclusions:
    1 – The improvement in acceleration over a 330i is clear. TQ is excellent.
    1A – No discernable turbo lag. Kudos.
    2 – The exhaust note from outside seemed OK.
    3 – The interior looked & felt like a quality piece.
    4 – The STEP automatic worked better than the one in the last 330i I drove.
    5 – Traction control (activated several times) worked well.
    6 – I will probably drive a Sedan, when one becomes available at my Dealer.

I would have much preferred a venue and schedule more like the last 5 Series introduction, held at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Where there was both much more room and more time to gather something like real world data. ( sigh )

I could not judge ride at rural or highway speeds. I could not tell how it would sound with the sunroof in vent, as I drive 95+% of the time. I could not evaluate several aspects of the STEP that I’d care about.

It was fun – and as long as BMW offers to allow me to drive ( abuse ) their new cars while they pay for tires, gas & any other wear and tear, I will drive their cars. I was pleasantly surprised at the exhaust note, as a couple of turbochargers in the stream sometimes cause an odd tone. And it was loud enough at WOT to be noticed. But not too loud.

I know that I’d miss my HUD. Having a tachometer & MPH display in a HUD would have been very interesting during this exercise. As it was, I could not closely monitor either, while driving on an unfamiliar course & almost continuously turning. I also could not judge such things as the STEP rev match on downshift. Oh, well . . .

Fun time.
    - Ray
    Impressed but undecided . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • rebirth24rebirth24 Member Posts: 13
    Are there Paddle type shifters on this car? Saw some of the Euro Video on this and it appeared to have shifters on the steering wheel?
    yes.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Nice report. The exhaust kinda sounds like the G35 Coupe's.

M
  • rebirth24rebirth24 Member Posts: 13
    Looks like you can configure your 2007 335i on bmwusa.com ....
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    It gets pricey when you start adding options, almost 50K.

M
  • fastdriver123fastdriver123 Member Posts: 3
    I have read many reviews of the E46 and the E90 that mention too much understeer and a lack of grip. ALL manufacturers set their vehicles up with understeer as the default because novice drivers will let off the gas when the car is out of control. This is a natural reaction and results in the car regaining control. If they set up the car with oversteer as the default, when drivers panicked and let off the gas, this unloads the rear of the car, sends weight to the front, and results in a massive slide and probably a spin. I am assuming that most of these test drivers do not have a great deal of driving skill because if they did, they would find that is it relatively easy, if you know how to drive properly, to get this car to power slide or into power oversteer, even with the traction and stability control engaged. As long as you are smoooth with the controls, the car can be slid sideways a bit. It always amuses me when they say that there is too much understeer. That's because they don't know how to drive properly to approach the cars limits!!!! :mad:
    yep, I'll pass because of those options. ;)

Rocky
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    It comes with the sport suspension standard, so I could be happy as a clam without adding one option... out the door at base price. The extras in the 335i sport package are frivolous for my money. Also, you could order leather without a package.
  • deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    The 335i Sedan will also be available starting in September.

Padon my delayed response but I do find your 335i sedan September rumor very interesting. Which September will that be the one during 2008, 2009 or 2010??

As far as I know there are no official sources confirming the introduction of a 335i sedan and if there was I would be pleasantly surprised.
    It comes with the sport suspension standard, so I could be happy as a clam without adding one option...

I will only be happy as a clam if it has four doors. Otherwise I will be as depressed as a clam in the kitchen of a seafood restaurant.
    Going of of what others in the media including media have been saying. Whether they are right or wrong isn't my doing. ;)

Rocky
    Dont worry my gun was not aimed at the messenger ;)

Call it wishful thinking but I am still hoping that BMW will make a surprise 335i sedan announcement.
    “Call it wishful thinking but I am still hoping that BMW will make a surprise 335i sedan announcement.”

My understanding is that the 335i sedan will be produced.
    SOP soon.
    In Calendar Year 2006.

My ** GUESS ** is that BMW will wait until 1) After some more 330i Sedans are sold from dealer stock, and 2) after the launch of the 2007 Coupes . . .

I also understand that ALL 335i-s are currently not available to sell, due to some sort of emissions hangup.

Odd.

- Ray
    Just repeating rumors seen – and from usually reliable sources – including my dealer. . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • coop03coop03 Member Posts: 3
    It is true - I ordered the 335i sedan at my dealer last Sat. What he told me, which was confirmed by BMW USA is that sedan production starts in Sept and I should have it late Oct or so. I got the sports package. All together came in below $41K (did not get fancy gadgets etc...)
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    I was at my dealer yesterday and yes, he also said the 335 sedan will be coming. I stopped there specifically to see if they had the 335 coupe but no dice as you mention. However he said they would be there in a week or two. Who knows, you know dealers and their BS.

On another note, he did have two 328 coupes that were sold so I couldn't drive it. I stood there for quite some time ogling the new styling. Wow, the coupe hits my sweet spot. I also can't wait for the M3.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    The BMW 335i has been approved for release as of today.
    The vehicle has finally been cleared for EPA certification as of this morning.

People who have ordered this vehicle a while back will have them delivered to their dealer as soon as this Saturday.

Their vehicles have been "held captive" for quite a while at various BMW preparation centers pending EPA approval.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Chirp Chirp wow no one cares about a 300Hp Twin turbo BMW... :confuse:
    More than that--even for fairly skillful drivers, understeer is safer, in an *emergency situation*. I'm okay at handling oversteer when i _want_ it to happen. But if i hit a slick on the road, it's nice to know my tail's not going to step out.

And there's plenty of interest in the twin turbo 335i. Just not in this thread. :)
    I wrote this about a week ago:

Call it wishful thinking but I am still hoping that BMW will make a surprise 335i sedan announcement.

Wow it is amazing how fast things change in a week.

My wish has come true and I intend to go to my dealer this week to test drive the 335i coupe and decide on whether to pre-order a 335i sedan.

According to C & D they got to 60mph in a M3-like 4.8 seconds.

Hopefully the 335 sedan does not have the electrically assisted steering of the coupe. I prefer the hydraulic steering of the 330i sedan.

Also I dont know what the pricing is in the USA but in Canada the 335i coupe goes for about the same price as a 330xi and two grand more than a Subaru WRX sti. IMO that is definitely a good price for a 335i.
  • dax3dax3 Member Posts: 1
    Bought the 07 335i on Tuesday 9/6
    sport pkg
    and convenience luxury pkg
    sun roof
    6 speed manual
    dark gray / red leather

paid MSRP 45k

loving it - looks and props won't stop coming
    Congratulations!

I can feel your excitement.

Right now I am a borderline case between a 335i sedan or coupe. I love the coupe so much that I am trying to determine what shoehorn I can use to squeeze my family in. :D

Unfortunately reality dictates the sedan.
  • pearlpearl Member Posts: 336
    Dax3, Congrats! Please continue to post your impressions of your new car. As you get used to it, please tell us such things as gas mileage, turbo lag if any, handling, overall comfort, interior and road noise, things you learn about operating the controls, etc, etc. We will all be very appreciative! Thanks!
  • minniemouse1minniemouse1 Member Posts: 3
    I want to get the 335i space gray paint with everything in it! Navigation, sports package, premium, etc etc. The total cost comes up to be about $49000. I work in medical sales and drive a lot but need a new car every three years for company policy. I talked to the dealer and he said that they do $20,000 mile leases. My question is I know the car is new but is the MSRP negotiable when ordering it from the dealer. He wants me to put almost $5000 down to get my payments at $760 (my max payment is $700). Is it doable to get my payment lower than $760, zero down and $20,000 miles a year? Or am I SOL? THANKS!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Have you considered European Delivery? My 2002 530i had an MSRP of ~$48,750 and I negotiated a deal that was a little south of $43,000. My lease deal (granted it was for the more standard 15,000 miles per year) came in at $560 per month with only the first and last month payments to be made up front.

Tell the dealer that you'll offer $1,000 over ED invoice. If they say no, walk out and start calling other dealers. That happened to me, the dealer that I bought my first BMW from wouldn't budge from ED MSRP, and so I made my list and on my first call (the BMW store literally ten miles down the same road from the first one) we came to an agreement on price within five minutes. I drove over and signed the paperwork fifteen minutes later.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    anyone know why when I'm building my 335 sedan and I want to just add leather [not the premium package] it charges 3 grand even though just leather [not leatherette] is $1400?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Yup, she's broke. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    uncle Daddy, get off me your sqirshin my cigarettes, my computer's already broke, now so's the bimmer. How my sposed to drive the house on to the infield to watch Junior win the race?
  • stl540stl540 Member Posts: 67
    Dealer did the same thing to me today on the 2007 335i sedan. Said the best he could do was $2700 under MSRP for ED (equates to $3300 over ED invoice).

I understand ED does not count against the dealer allocation. Does anyone know if this is true? Salesman told me I was wrong.

He offered $1000 under MSRP to purchase or lease (not ED). The sedan MF is .0031 (7.44%). The coupe MF is .002 (4.8%). IMO .0031 is too high. Equates to a $730/month payment with no money down (includes ~$45/month taxes) for 3yr/12K miles.

I walked away. I am going to talk with a couple other local dealers to discuss purchase options. I like the service dept of the dealer I visited. I do not know the salespeople anymore. The service dept has been great...got a couple major repairs paid for by BMW out of warranty on my 540i.

BTW...car MSRP was $45K.
This discussion has been closed.