Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• joelh1joelh1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi Konradsa,

The problem was never resolved. I went to two different dealerships and both said that they (and Toyota) were familiar with the issue and there was nothing Toyota could or would do. They attributed the problem to the 4 cylindar engine and said that it was normal, although my 4 cylindar Altima does not vibrate even with the AC on. I expect there is a problem with the engine mounts which should insulate the driver from the engine vibration. I have learned to live with the problem although it is annoying. Let me know if you ever get the problem resolved. Thanks
  • 2002rav42002rav4 Member Posts: 2
    My wife drives our 2002 RAV4 2WD Limited with 45K miles.

I hear a very intermittent whistle coming from the dashboard.

It can happen when starting the car, while driving, but mostly happens when stopped or right after the car is turned off.
    It sounds just like a human whistle, one note, varied length, increasing in pitch. As if a gas is venting through a reed from the A/C.
    I live on Maui and almost always have the A/C on. I took it to the Toyota Dealer here and they were unable to fix it and never heard it.

It's very intermittent and might only happen once a day or less.

Although my wife is enjoying the positive attention (the whistling) she's had enough. HELP please. Thanks.
  • gilvkonagilvkona Member Posts: 31
    A while back, I posted that my 2006 RAV4 had a popping sound if I turned slowing to the right and sometimes to the left. This happened at slow speeds when I turned into a parking space or my garage. The dealer had a TSB about is and fixed it free of charge. You had to complaim for them to do the TSB. All is fine now.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Many manufacturers use a mechanical technique called a balance shaft to "quiet" the vibrations of an I4 or L4 engine. I suppose Toyota chose not to pay the patent license fee.
  • coco9coco9 Member Posts: 3
    The passenger side rear top tail light burned out on my 2004 RAV4 Sport. Went to my manual for instructions to remove and replace. The bulb was not where shown in the manual. Located the outlet, but was not able to get it out. Seemed blocked by side metal. Anyone else had to replace this bulb? Thanks for any and all help.
  • timbo217timbo217 Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 2004 RAV-4 and the left rear passenger window will not operate. I looked in the owners manual hoping to find a possible fuse location to trouble shoot the problem. Is there a fuse some where that I can check beofe I disassemble the door and replace the motor.
  • sage3sage3 Member Posts: 47
    Hello all,
    I have a new 2009 2.5 liter sport with 500 miles on it.
    Occasionally I hear a thud from the steering system when making 90 deg turns. I can also feel it through the steering wheel. It is next to impossible to reproduce, it just happens randomly when turning usually at slower speeds (under 10 mph).
    Toyota service now has my vehicle and they just called to tell me they cannot reproduce the sound. The only other sign is a small hitch and release that I feel when turning the steering wheel while the car is turned off (keys out of the ignition, wheel is not locked). It feels like a small amount of resistance then release before the full resistance of turning the wheels while power steering is off.
    I am very sensitive to noises especially from a new vehicle, and I fear that if Toyota does not find any signs I will have to live with it.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi
    I have a similar problem on my 09. Did you feel anything through the steering wheel when the noise happened?
    What was the source of the popping? My Toyota service is giving me the old " nothing is wrong with your vehicle"
    Thanks i advance.
    Tom
  • kathrynleekathrynlee Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 Rav4...and had (still have) the same thunking sound when making slow turns. Feels like a tight 'tendon' twang felt through the steering wheel...and it is worse in cold weather. I also had the same response from the dealer when I had them check it out last year....couldn't replicate the sound. It hasn't gotten better...or worse, after two years.
  • dtowndtown Member Posts: 20
    Here is a link to the T.S.B from Toyota about the Steering noise issue with the Ravs. Hope it helps.

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2006/ST001-08.pdf
    Thank you both (kathrynlee and dtown) for your responses it made me feel like I am not alone with this problem. :)
    I picked up my vehicle from toyota service today (2009 sport 2.5liter). I mentioned the TSB to them and they stated that it does not apply to the 2009's and therefore nothing can be done at this time. They stated willingness to fix the problem if the noise was reproducible. Perhaps as more 09's are sold the problem will surface in other vehicles and lead to a TSB for the 09's. I wonder how long that would take to go into effect? Are the TSB's basically a recall?
    YES Kathryn,
    "tendon twang" sounds like a description of what my Rav is doing during some slow turns. They (toyota) told me that the steering components have been redesigned since the 06's and therefore they could not act on the TSB. So you get it intermittently then? How often? Did you get used to it after a year? Im afraid I cant get use to something like that, but then again I may not have a choice...
    Tom (sage3)
  • ceeckarceeckar Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2006 Rav4 into the dealership on Saturday due to the popping noise. The service writer never mentioned that there was a service bulletin out on it. He and the mechanic acted as though they had never heard of the problem. Said they could replace the shaft with a new improved version for $698. I said if it isn't going to cause the car to break down or lead to other problems, I wasn't going to get it repaired that day. While I waited for tires to be replaced, the service writer came out and told me that the service manager was willing to split the cost with me. So in 10-15 minutes the cost went from $698 to $349 but they would only honor that price if I had the work done prior to 50,000 miles (I'm at 42,200 now). 50% discount immediately made me suspiscus. I saw on the service bulletin that it was covered under the comprehensive warranty (36 mos or 36,000 miles). I think I'll still pay a visit back to Toyota of Concord (NC).
    Hi Ceeckar,
    So how frequently do you hear the noise? Can you trigger it? Today again I tried another barrage of maneuvers to trigger the sound to no avail.
    By the way the TSB Applicable Warranty*: reads as follows:
    This repair is covered under the Toyota Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in
    effect for 36 months or 36,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s
    in-service date.
    I believe this means that once the repair is performed it is covered for 36 months or years.
    Regards Tom
    Sage3...I could never purposely trigger the noise. But I understand how annoying it is...it really bugged me to have that kind of noise in a brand new vehicle. I had it in the dealer last year specifically beause of that noice, but that was before the TSB came out. The dealership never mentioned it, couldn't help me...so I'll print off the TSB (thanks a TON to the person who provided that link!) and take it to my dealership next time. I have noticed that the problem did seem more frequent in colder weather...or when the vehicle was cold. Turning into a parking space was a frequent cause of the noise. I posted a request for anyone with a similar problem a while ago...but didn't get much of a response. It seems like it took Toyota two years to identify they had a problem and come up with a fix. I hope they can help you sooner than that!
    -K
    kathrynlee
    I drove over 100 miles around the suburbs today with not one sound, but I am not getting my hopes up...
    Let us know how the dealer responds to the TSB.
  • canam1960canam1960 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 2006 RAV4 but with 68,000 miles on it. Starting around 50,000 miles I too developed a noisiy, popping sound that you can feel in the steering wheel / column. When I described the problem to my dealer, he knew immediately what it was. Sounds like quite a few other RAV4 owners have compalined as well. He said that there was a TSB #ST001-08 and it would cost me $631.25 to fix it. I was dumb founded. I thought Toyata stood behind their quality! In nearly 40 years of driving I have never had a problem where the steering linkage needed to be replaced even with a car that had 165,000 miles on it.

I think this should be a Toyota paid for recall. This is my second toyota and I was planning to purchase a third for my daughter but I think I'll shop Honda next time.
    I am going to write to Toyota just to let them know how disappointed I am.
    dtown was kind enough to post this link of the actual TSB:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2006/ST001-08.pdf

I agree canam1960, Toyota should post a recall since the flaw is in the design and even they admit it by posting the TSB. My noise started a few days after a brand new purchase. I currently own 2 toyota's, both purchased brand new, I also had a slightly used toyota highlander that I got rid of due to engine noise.
    I will be purchasing a new vehicle for my wife within the next 2 years and I too will look to honda and/or subaru for our next vehicle.
  • ginsvalloginsvallo Member Posts: 9
    By all means, write to Toyota and call them. Re:TSB #ST001-08. If you are persistent, I am confident they will make some adjustment. Had a similar problem with a Highlander in 02 and they came through with a few hundred dollar credit.
    Okay...this is getting interesting. I emailed my service guy at the Toyota dealership. Mentioned I had purchased the vehicle there...and was a regular customer (figured that couldn't hurt). Also sent him the TSB and said I thought this should be covered under warantee. I'm thinking the warantee time is from purchase...or when ever you started complaining. Anyway, he (Bubba) called and left a message yesterday saying they were order the steering shaft(s) and they'd let me know when they got there. Today, I had a message that the parts are in and I should make an appointment to have them installed.

Big question will be...are they going to say it is going to cost me ~$700?
    I'll let you know.
    -K
    Interesting in deed K,
    How many miles are on your Rav?
    By the way my noise has diminished significantly over the last week. I may have heard a very small " twang" twice but if I was not looking for it I would have missed it. Go figure.
    Cant wait to hear what happens with yours. When are you going in?
    Tom
    Tom/Sage3:
    I have about 20K miles on my 2006 Rav4. I'm glad that you haven't been 'twangin' lately. Has the weather been warm? I've noticed that the sound happens much more frequently in colder weather. I have an appointment on October 27th to have the parts swapped. Wish me luck! I hope it doesn't make things worse...wouldn't that be a drag!
    -K
    K,
    The weather actually got colder so it's not reacting the way yours did.
    Your mileage is low, if it has not been 3 years since your purchase you should still be covered by warranty for the fix.
    And don't worry, now that they are doing something with it I doubt they will give you you're car in worse condition. \
    Good luck anyway..
  • toddrav1toddrav1 Member Posts: 1
    On my 2002 Rav w/137k miles I have a loud pulsing ringing noise from front or rear end (can't tell which) when accelerating from a complete stop. Noise stops (or can't be heard) as soon as car is over 5-10 mph. Seems worse if starting on a hill. Noise only happens after the car has been driven fast on the freeway so I think it is brought on by heat/friction.

I don't think its the transmission because it doesn't seem to follow RPM's. Best guess is that something is heating up on the suspension causing front or rear calipers to paritialy stick then release?? Or hot rotor is warping??

I asked Mechanic to check CV joints and brakes but no luck.

Its driving me nuts - if its the tranny I need to start looking for a new car. I've heard the 2002 transmission/ECM has had many problems.

Any ideas on what the heck this noise could be appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • sidious6688sidious6688 Member Posts: 80
    I have a 2007 Sport, wheel drive V6. Recently the tire pressure monitoring system dash light came on and has stayed on since. The tire pressure on all 4 tires is a steady 32 psi. Is there a way to reset this light? I'll have the dealer check it out at the next oil change as the car is still under the original warranty anyway. As the the tire pressures are what they should be, I have to think there is an issue with the system. Is there any cause for concern in the meantime? I'm thinking "No."
  • hibeamhibeam Member Posts: 9
    Check the Spare, I know two people who had problems with the spare.
  • amlapoleamlapole Member Posts: 2
    I agree, check the spare. That fixed my problem with the light
  • cfreas1cfreas1 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problem with my 2007 Limited. Since it was due for the 15000K service, I had the dealer look at it. He said they had to "recalibrate" the sensors and all is well. I would not be surprised that the "recalibration" was checking the spare. I say this based on the $300.00 15K service that had, in my opinion, a lot of unnecessary services that was well beyond what the manual suggests. I was expecting just an oil change and tire rotation.
    The same thing happened to me. It was the spare. I didn't realize how hard it was to find a gas station with an air compressor. It cost me about a buck to fill them up but I had to do it twice since I forgot to do the spare the first time. While refilling the spare, I noticed the dealer had not been rotating the spare into the mix when he rotated the other tires. I will ask him about that next time.

As far as the large service interval charges, I totally agree. My dealership pushed for changing the air filter at 15k and showed me how dirty it was. Ditto on the cabin filter. Those were ahead of schedule You can do both of these yourself with little effort. I got a nasty look when I turned down the 30k service but did have them adjust the rear brakes. Now I am going in for a 40k service which is luckily only an oil change and tire rotation. I might bypass the 45k service at the dealer and take it to a quick lube and tune. I am trying to follow Toyota maintenance schedule in the book. I might do some of the fluid replacements at 60k. I haven't decided yet.

I have a 2006 and had the popping noise when I turned right or left at very slow speeds. In reading these posts, I appear lucky to have caught this before my warranty ran out. Other than that, I am happy with the vehicle.
  • tarheel4lifetarheel4life Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2008 RAV had the same problem a few days ago and it was the spare. After putting a little air in it the light went off.
    How long have you had your noise did it get worse?
    Are you going to address it?
    Okay...all done. No Charge!! My Toyota Dealership (where I bought the Rav4) just changed out the steering shaft. So far, so good...no more 'twangs'. On the service invoice..it says "Customer states there is a knocking noise coming from the steering column." and farther down...after the parts list..."Steering shaft has excessive play - replaced steering shaft assembly".
    -K
    Congrats on your fix K!
    I just wrote a 2 page letter regarding the 09 proplem to toyota. One is going to the customer experience center and I attached another to the post purchase survey that they sent to me.
    Tom
    Canam1960...my dealership fixed the steering column 'popping sound' at NO CHARGE by replacing the steering shafts last month. Try again with your dealership. My vehicle is also 2006 Rav4...and driving is MUCH nicer without the clunking. See my earlier post regarding the specific wording from my 'invoice'. Good luck!
    -K
  • akt3akt3 Member Posts: 1
    I/m having the same problem and I have 44,500 miles; however, I have had the problem way before the mileage ever reached 36,000. It is just now driving me crazy that I decided to get it checked. Did your dealer replace it for you. Mine did the same thing as yours...if you buy your tires here for $675, we will install the shaft for free. What a rip-off since Toyota is obviously having problems with the steering shaft.
    take the TSB to a different Toyota dealer and see what they say,
    here is the link: http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2006/ST001-08.pdf
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    I am posting on this thread hoping some of you are knowledgeable enough to answer my question I would like to know if the RAV's 4's or 6's have steel timing chains. Also do you know if Toyota makes non-interference engines or any other models have steel timing chains? I tried this question at some of the dealers and got double talk. Thanks
    I have a 2006 RAV4 with a 4 cylinder engine. I have asked the "service advisor" twice at the dealership at different service intervals. Both times, after consulting someone else, I heard the statement that all Toyotas after 2004 have timing chains and not belts. I hope this helps you.
  • inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    Thanks for that info. inkie.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    It's not true that all Toyotas after 2004 have timing chains. For example, the 3.3 V-6 uses timing belts and one vehicle that has this engine is V-6 2004-2007 Highlanders.
    Sorry about that.

I just overheard my service advisor talking to another service advisor. All I know for sure, and now I'm not sure of that, is that my 2006 RAV4 has a chain and not a belt.
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Yes, 4cyl 2006 Rav4 has timing chain, look at service requirements booklet that came with it and there should be no mention of timing belt replacement.
    Has anyone done this? Toyota recommends; "re-torque drive shaft bolt (4wd) :surprise: " every 15k. Where is this magical bolt?
    Thanks in advance
    Tom
  • heyheyjudeheyheyjude Member Posts: 12
    To the mod.'s, I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I've bothered by the fact that my new car is only 15 days old with 102 miles on it. I got in it today, ran into the store, came back out to hear a 'shrill whirring' sound and noted the bright yellow exclamation point (that seemed to be in parentheses). I called the gentleman at the dealership who is the one to go over your car and it's features before you leave with it. He called me back and left me a voice mail telling me that light indicated I needed to get someone to put air in the tires, the same amount for all four, of course. He also said it could be the spare (??). This may sound trivial, but I can't believe I'm already having any kind of error/warning message on this vehicle. I had to sign a form verifying the vehicle had been checked out thoroughly (and was told so verbally) before I left. Am I being petty and has anyone else had this problem? Thanks SO much for any advice/feedback. jude
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I rented a car a couple of months ago and a warning light came on after I had been driving it for 3 days. It was mildly irritating until I figured out it meant that one of the tires was low (and indeed, one was almost flat). I was able to get to an air pump a half mile away and not get stranded somewhere thanks to the light.

I don't know what the whirring sound could be but if the light just means low tire pressure, that's an easy fix (assuming you don't have a screw in a tire like I did).

Check your owner's manual to double-check what the light means. If it looks sort of like this, then check your tires:

• ginsvalloginsvallo Member Posts: 9
    Got my new RAV4 almost a year ago and so far, there has not been a single problem of any kind. Hate to tempt fate, but this vehicle is PERFECT! Maybe we can hire Toyota to run GM?
    Sounds like your dealership didn't do their job. If I were you I would check all the fluids as well as the tire pressures.
  • joelh1joelh1 Member Posts: 4
    I have had that warning light come on several times over the last 2+ years (for my 2006 RAV4). Filling all tires, including the spare, with air fixed the problem however the warning light did not go off right away. I took a few days for the light ot go off.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Actually you should be proud that your new RAV4 gave you this early warning.

Otherwise you might soon be involved in a rollover due to a partially deflated tire overheating and blowing out (think Ford Exploder).

Some, undoubtedly, will refer to the TPMS as being overly sensitive but I would much rather have the early warning of a potential tire problem.
  • heyheyjudeheyheyjude Member Posts: 12
    Thank y'all so much for taking the time to reply and advise; I truly appreciate it.
    Steve...you hit the proverbial nail on the head. That 'icon' you inserted is EXACTLY what the light is. After I posted, I called the gentleman at the dealership who goes over the features, etc. before you take the new car off the lot and he said it was the tire pressure. He even said it could be in the spare (that makes no sense to me). As the other repliers stated, I AM glad it came on to alert me, but it still infuriates me that I haven't had that car two weeks and am going on a long trip in two days, so I have to find someone to check/fill all tires. But, that is better than having a flat or worse, an accident. I'm sorry for the others who're experiencing this and worse. Steve, I'm so glad you resolved your problem before something happened to you...I had the same problem in a rental once; needless to say, I ended up renting it at no cost. ;-)
    Again, thanks so much for the invaluable help. I feel much better, y'all. jude
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    As someone who tends to get a flat a year, I'd like an idiot light telling me when my spare was low. I tend to use them regularly. :D