Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz GL-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lmorlmor Member Posts: 4
    What are your monthly payments? Where are yu located?
  • td_njtd_nj Member Posts: 11
    That includes tax.

This thing is a beast - although maybe that's just my time behind the wheel of an E-Class talking. Big, although not clumsy big (although the backup camera doesn't have a wheel-track indicator - unforgivable). Acceleration is surprisingly good. My wife still pines for the E, which I drive now! Hey, she wanted 3rd row seats; she got 3rd row seats!
  • 99_528i99_528i Member Posts: 27
    I'm new to this forum, since I'm deciding between an X5 vs. GL450. My wife insisted on getting a real 3rd row seat and the X5 is more like a 2-1/2 row seat... I'm just surprised to read through some of the previous posts and found out these $14k off MSRP deals. Are these deals for real? There's typically a $5k spread between the invoice and MSRP, which means these deals are almost $9k below invoice??
  • 99_528i99_528i Member Posts: 27
    BTW, I'm in Northern California, any recommendations on dealers?
  • missing_pghmissing_pgh Member Posts: 7
    I am seeing remaining 2008 inventory averaging $10-12K below MSRP in the DC/MD/VA area. I imagine that could be pushed even more in the next week. But 2009 quotes are within that $5K margin you mentioned.
  • kennynmdkennynmd Member Posts: 424
    Just wondering which dealeships in the DC/MD area you have been shopping at? I have been looking on line and there doesn't seem to be any 08's in stock.
    Also, can anyone tell me the biggest difference between the 08's and 09's?
  • kennyyukennyyu Member Posts: 16
    The only difference betwin 08 and 09 is that 09 has slight bigger side mirrors and the navigation has become tolerable from pathetic. Otherwise they are identicle which means that they are solid great German SUVs if you can afford them.
  • missing_pghmissing_pgh Member Posts: 7
    kennymd,

You're right, supplies of 08's seem to be drying up now. Go to Hagerstown...they had at least half a dozen as of 10 days ago. And they seem to be a good group of folks to deal with.
  • alo2alo2 Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy the GL450 in December. I've bought at Laguna Niguel before and have gotten a good deal on the C-class. I know Fletcher Jones is a volume mover but I have never liked their sales people. I've been getting alot of phone calls from both dealers almost on a daily basis. Does anyone have any advice as how much below MSRP I can get the car for? I am looking at P2 package. Thanks!
  • fq1fq1 Member Posts: 56
    Can anyone post the November GL450 money factor and lease rates. Also, are there any incentives from MB on these vehicles? Any info would be much appreciated.
  • tracy_socaltracy_socal Member Posts: 12
    I would like to know more about how one can purchase a new car below MSRP, especially an 09 GL. Perhaps if you're not fussy about the color and options, they may be willing to make a deal. I agree, high-volume dealerships are the place to start. Fletcher-Jones are known for great deals. There are three MBZ dealers in So Cal known for offering better prices: Walter's Mercedes Benz in Riverside, South Bay Mercedes in Torrance, and of course Fletcher-Jones, as you have mentioned. I might suggest obtaining quotes from all three at the beginning of Dec, then perhaps approaching Laguna Niguel and asking if they can offer a better price. With the Winter Event, hopefully they'll be offering factory to dealer incentives at get us below that MSRP. I'm planning on purchasing the GL 320 at that time. I would like to hear your views and experience on this topic. Thanks again and best of luck!
    738 for 36 mo lease, 719 for 48 mo lease, but this is a dealership in Atlanta, GA according to a MBZ salespersons' blog, which cannot be posted here.
  • vicmacvicmac Member Posts: 9
    Anybody got new 2008 GL 320. I just got an offer of 7K off of MSRP of 65380. I was looking at 12500 off of MSRP like someone posted here before. Pl advise how much under can we get it for.

Vic
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Well I don't know how some of you got the spectacular deals you got. I shopped this around today and found dealers without a lot of stock and except for ray catena, there were no 2008's left. Didn't matter as I wanted the 2009. I put $1500 down on a $71,595 car. There's no security deposit and no lease acquisition fee so my driveaway costs are the down payment, MV fees and first month lease payment. My lease is $869 for 33 months and 15K miles per year. It's a good enough deal for me and I took it because the color (pewter) was what I wanted as was the interior color and it had rear seat entertainment. The deal works out to just over $900 when I take the down payment into consideration and I've never seen a deal that good on a near $72K MSRP vehicle on a lease that is less than the standard 36 months. I can still opt up to a 39 month lease at $839, a 42 month deal at $819 or a 48 month deal at $799. I'll decide that in the next few days, but in the meantime I deposited the car today. This replaces a GX470 which I leased for 2 and 3 year terms. Both GX's were great and as with most Lexus vehicles was flawless but 5 years was enough. I'm hoping MB reliability is a lot better than before as that always scared me off, but it's time to take a chance. This handles a lot better than the GX and is equally refined in ride and in inside luxury and I loved it the few times I've driven it in the past and on the test drive. I've just got to get used to all these MB placement of controls.
    Thanks for the detailed info. Could you please let us know what the Money Factor, residual and capitalized cost for the the different terms (33, 36, 39 months) of the lease were. Also, which dealer/salesperson did you use as I am also in the market and you seem to have gotten a pretty good deal. Did you have a previous relationship with the salesperson for gettng such a good deal?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    If you have another lux car - Lexus or BMW mainly - drive it and make sure the salesman sees it. They are always trying to steal customers from each other. The moment they see you as very serious they'll reach a good deal with you quickly rather than endless negotiation. I don't have time for the latter anyway as I'm a quick dealmaker in everything I do as long as I get what I want. I'm also not a nickle and dimer. My actual price is $840 (I ended up changing to $2k down on a 33 month lease) and with tax works out to $912. Mercedes of Freehold. The Pewter color made the deal and the SUV had everything I wanted (PO2 + RSES). They seem to be rare in that color (I haven't seen one yet) and the GL looked great in that color. It takes on different color variations in different light. The national price right now is $739 (+ tax) on a 48 month deal with $5K down and $7K driveaway costs and only 10K miles a year on a $68k MSRP. I didn't want a long lease or a high DP.

Good luck with your shopping.
  • anb957anb957 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2008 GL320 with ipod, P1, and hitch with some dealer-installed accessories (mudguards, chrome door handles, rubber mats, tinted front windows) for $48,000 plus tax. This is 13,500 off MSRP and 14,500 off if you include accessories. If you can still find one, most dealers are really trying to move these things.
  • jdm2089jdm2089 Member Posts: 3
    I live in Southern California and just picked up a fully loaded 2009 GL 450 with premium 2, leather package, rear DVD, GL appearance package, and tow hitch from Mercedes of Long Beach. Real leather is hard to find and the dealer was happy to trade for the vehicle. MSRP was $75K and sales price was $68K. On a 36 month/ 7.5K mile per yr lease I am paying $835 a month (before tax) with $1500 drive off (includes first month payment). Extra miles factored into the lease were about 20 cents more per mile per year. I highly recommended the dealer. You can do the entire transaction by email and they have no problem matching and beating prices even if they don't have the car in stock.
  • bxm11bxm11 Member Posts: 1
    Congratulations on your purchase. What do you think of the leather vs. the MB-tex?
    This is easy to do. Send out price requests for your car using edmunds.com "free price quote" . Your emails are automatically routed to the internet sales departments at your local dealers. Be sure to use a few zip codes (San Fernando Valley, South Bay, Orange County, Padadena) so you can get most of S. California. At the present time you can get just about any car, any color, with any options for a discount. I just leased an 09 GL 450 for more than $7000 below MSRP. There are great lease deals for 3 reasons: they are selling the car below MSRP, Mercedes iis setting a high residual lease value (so you pay less depreciation), and they are offering amazingly low interest rates on leases (about 3%). Be sure to include all of the specifics in your email to the dealers including color(s), options, and whether or not you are leasing or buying. If you are leasing, include the duration of the lease and the mileage per year. If you have excellent credit, let the dealer know that as well. Also be sure to ask the dealers to contact you by EMAIL ONLY or your phone will never stop ringing.
    I don't think you can feel any real difference between the leather used in the GL 450 and the MB Tex. The 09 GL 550 has napa leather which is defintely softer. Why leather? I just have a hard time spending this kind of money for vinyl. In addition to leather seats, the full leather package also gives you a wood steering wheel and dark burl wood trim. The burl wood in my opinion looks nicer than the standard maple. In addition, the stitching especially on the dash and door panel inserts for some reason looks better with the leather package than it does with the MB tex.
  • gbakeisgbakeis Member Posts: 1
    In process of buying a GL450 in NorCal (San Jose) at Smythe European. I'm considering the prepaid maintenance, if the price is negotiable. Does anyone have any experience cutting deals on the ppd maint. "MSRP" on the 36 month/39,000 mile ppd maint is $1,319, which is way overpriced. I'm thinking around $750 may make it worthwhile, but wonder what others are paying, and how tough the dealers negotiate on this.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hey,

I was looking at your posts at lexus forum.

So you finally decided to forget the LX and go for this 1.

Good luck. Which GL is it? GL550?

I hope you won't regret later.

When is the delivery?
    Thank you; this is helpful information. I'm interested in the GL Bluetec. I want to buy since the car qualifies as a hybrid and buyers are eligible for the $1800.00 tax refund (first 60,000 sold in US). I also like the higher torque, better gas mileage and cleaner emissions. I will try MBZ of Long Beach and definitely take your advice on the e-mail contact option. What are the leasing options and/or finance options available for the GL Bluetec?
  • ryan79ryan79 Member Posts: 10
    Been reading that last 5 pages or so of this thread. I'm just wondering if those of you that got a price in the low 50's had significant incentives involved.

For example I think someone said 15k under MSRP. Was that like 10k of incetives and 5k of talking them down? Or is that w/ out any incentives??
    I'm looking at the above vehichle at the moment with an MSRP of 68k and MB has a 10k incentive. I was told 52,000 by one dealer yesterday and am going to start shopping around more now.
    Should I be aiming for the high $40's?? That would be phenomanal for this SUV.

Any advice or thoughts is greatly appreciated.
  • gfish49gfish49 Member Posts: 27
    We we just purchased a 08 Gl320 with msrp of around 66,995 and purchase price of 50,995. We were also quoted on a 08 GL350 with msrp of 68995, 52,995.
    For anyone else that is looking at purchasing an 08 -- I have 3 dealers at $18,000 or more off MSRP.. still undecided on the GL450 though.
  • 330iii330iii Member Posts: 71
    $20,000 off MSRP and 2.9% APR for up to 66 months i think i'm in like Flynn! :shades:
  • 330iii330iii Member Posts: 71
    ryan79 may i have the names and contacts of those three dealers? Pretty please?! ;)
    Can I also please have those dealers' contact info that are discounting.
    For decents prices ;) check out:

Mercedes-Benz of West Chester & Tom Masano Mercedes Benz
  • pdnycpdnyc Member Posts: 1
    Isnt residual value a major factor?

what are they using on these leases? Does the dealer prefer to lease or sell outright at less $20k and 2.9%?

Thanks
  • AgileManAgileMan Member Posts: 1
    In Seattle area, we picked up a GL-450. Iridium Silver with P-01, Hitch and rear entertainment for $52K + Tax. MSRP was $68K. There are only a few left but found this to be better than X5 as there were no 2008's. We also got a BT puck thrown in part of the deal. We were offered pre-paid maint for $2315 and GAP for 695 which I declined. The prepaid maint was not through MB but thru another 3rd party. It is not clear what I would get for the prepaid althogh the fin. div indicated that it includes everything. A blanket statement which I did not buy into. Plan to shop around if I'd need one. This is our first SUV hence the precaution. We have been snowed in and hence not comfy driving this yet worried that the other drivers may not be cautious.
    Feedback welcome. :D
  • jofam1jofam1 Member Posts: 21
    We just bought a new 2008 GL 450 in the CA- Bay Area, and was quoted by the MB dealership for extended warranty:
    for 7yr/100,000 :$ 5160 from MB (no deductible)
    $3800 from "Automotive Preferred Care" $200 deductible

for 8yr/100,000 $4060 from "Automotive Preferred Care" $200 deductible

Does anybody know of a better deal either from MB or elsewhere?

Thank you for your help.
  • jofam1jofam1 Member Posts: 21
    I get the feeling that this site is not visited very often. Anyway, I ended up with the MB warranty about $1,000 less than the quoted retail amount. Also considering the prepaid maintenance package of $2,000 for 52,000 miles.
  • car38car38 Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking between Buy or lease a new 300 sport 09 Mercedes.
    So, the offer is as follows:
    Buy: 2000 down and pay 570 per month for five and half years.
    Lease: Zero down and pay 530 per month for four years with 15000 mile per year limit and I have to pay 559 when I return the car after four years.
    Please advise. Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    From those numbers, I can only guess that you are referring to a C-Class?

If so, try posting here: Mercedes Benz C-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dl3dl3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone received a good deal for a GL in California? Just started shopping around and was looking for suggestions.
  • r_lr_l Member Posts: 5
    Hi All,

Let me give it a shot to keep this forum going ...

I got a quote of 1000 below invoice for a 09 GL-450 in the southern California area. I started with the TMV price on Edmunds, and the salesperson was very happy to beat it.

However I'm deeply concerned with the depreciation of GL when MB starts slashing price during the second half of the year. For example as in post #289 AgileMan was able to get $12K below invoice for his GL-450 in last Dec ... so I want to wait until the summer to see how MB is promoting their vehicles ... I'm planning to wait until GL is selling at least 5K below invoice to act.

My second concern is GL's initial quality according to JD Power. GL got only two stars in both 2007 and 2008, :(. I'm hoping MB can make it at least three stars in 2009, the 3rd MY. It looks like MB was able to do a good job in the 3rd MY as shown in past releases of other new models ... but we have to wait until June to see the survey results for the current MY.

Good luck with everyone's shopping.
  • stockwatchstockwatch Member Posts: 21
    Thoughts on this deal:

GL450 $59,200
    650 Arctic White
    104 Cashmere MB-Tex
    H04 Birds Eye Maple Wood Trim
    P01 P01 Package: Rear view camera, PARKTRONI $6,600
    R55 19" Wheels
    550 Trailer Hitch - 7,500 lbs. (Class IV) $530
    864 Rear Seat Entertainment - Multi-Source / $1,850

SUBTOTAL $68,180
    DESTINATION & DELIVERY $875
    TOTAL $69,055

SALE PRICE: $ 62,999.
  • r_lr_l Member Posts: 5
    I just saw a very good deal in March 09 on benz blog, which was 13% discount off MSRP. The same discounted offer would translate to ~ 60K for your GL450 choice.
  • stockwatchstockwatch Member Posts: 21
    Would appreciate you PM the blog address to me.

Thanks
  • accura_fanaccura_fan Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the market for GL 450 in Seattle area. Can you please provide more info (dealer, rep initials, etc)? Thanks and enjoy your vehicle.
  • meimeimeimei Member Posts: 1
    May you tell me how much did you pay for it, how about the mileage and the options?
    did you get the P1 , DVD , Navigation ??/
    Please let me know
    I am going to buy 2008 GL 450 with P1 package, DVD , navigation..v.v. it's a fully options...with only 1.3k miles on it...
    Thanks
    My dealer wanted to sell 3 more years of warranty for $2K..
  • realfanrealfan Member Posts: 4
    I am considering the purchase of a 2009 GL 320 and wondering if anyone has recent buying experiences from dealers in the Midwest?
  • cwsjmmcwsjmm Member Posts: 6
    Hello ryan79.
    Were either of these the dealers who showed you $18K + off MSRP? WHat was the deal y ou finally struck and do you have any idea of current deals/rebates?
    Thanks for your response. :shades:
  • brian124brian124 Member Posts: 38
    I'm interested in purchasing a 09 GL320 and I am debating the value (for my needs) of the P1 package which adds $6600 to the MSRP. As I don't need a navigation system, power liftgate (it would be my car not my wife's) or seat position memory (I'll drive it 99% of the time), is it really worth it to pay the additional money for the package, am I missing something? Could anyone share their experience with the stock MB stereo in this vehicle? Having a nice stereo is important but I'm not sure if I can justify buying the P1 package just for a Harmon Kardon stereo.

Also, I noticed that it is hard to find GL's without the P1 option. Has anyone had any experience ordering and if so, are the dealers willing to negotiate price when doing so and to what extent compared to a car on the lot? Will a MB dealer transfer vehicles from other dealerships?

Finally, how do you access the third row in a GL, is it easy to get in and out? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Most vehicles, as you have noted, automatically include the PI, and production of the MBZ SUVS has decreased significantly. Even the color combinations are pre-selected by the factory, with a preference for black with black interior. Even desired color combinations are hard to come by, unless the customer pre-orders the vehicle. Most likely, you would need to special order the vehicle without the package, and dealers are not willing to negociate price on pre-ordered cars. However, dealers do transfer cars between each other to make a sale. As it was, I was interested in the P2 package and not the P1, but am glad that the car does include both. As for P1, Keyless Go is a neat feature, as you can just open the door with the keys still in your pocket. You can also start the car with the push of a button. The automatic side folding mirrors help to negociate tight spaces and provide more room for adjacent cars. Parktronic is valuable in parking, since it is quite a long car. Parktronic will also let you know when a person just walks behind your car or in front of it. I've been at a stop, and been quite surprised to hear it go off when someone was walking close to the vehicle, behind or in front! On a simpler level, the automatic dimming mirrors effectively rid the glare from the driver's point of view, which you really don't think about until you drive a car that does not have this option. The rearview camera is an interesting idea, but I just don't place my trust in something that only provides one view. The power liftgate is quieter than the previous one that I had on my 06 ML; it does not have loud bells sound when you close it, but just quietly resumes its place. The only feature on the P1 that is a complete waste is the Sirius satellite radio. I was hoping for real time traffic, but the signal never comes through.

As for the 3rd row seats, they are easily accessible for kids; they can enter through the back of the vehicle, or, one can pull a lever on the second row seats and permit access that way. It does offer plenty of room for adults, but it would be more difficult to get in without the running boards. The running boards are a great feature and they help everyone climb into the vehicle easily. The GL drive is also incredibly smooth, given the air bellows located at all four axles and how the car automatically adjusts to the weight ratio distributed throughout the car.

As for the HK stereo, with nav it does improve accessibility, as it is connected with a Gracenote databate that looks up the CD and shows you the title and what song is playing. I might suggest that you go for the P1, as these are readily available and the features do make the driving experience more enjoyable.
  • brian124brian124 Member Posts: 38
    Can anyone share recent price quotes for 09 320s or 450s?

Thanks!
  • lzrlzr Member Posts: 13
    I'm in the market for a GL320 also and have just been to the dealer in Naples, FL. They are offering $7000 cash back on a 320 purchased from their stock before July 31, 2009. This is a pretty good deal. However, they have only two in stock, and they are *fully loaded* black-on-black vehicles ... kind of hot for South Florida.

Take a look at herefor more information.