Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners Problems & Solutions

12346»

Comments

• bazzybazzy Member Posts: 1
    drat4:
    My experience is almost identical to yours. My TCH has 81,000 kilometers (approx. 50,500 miles) on it.
    My problems started at about 76,700 km - 10,000 km over the warranty period - with the final repair requiring replacement of the ABS Pump Assembly at a cost of $2,544 CAD. Fortunately Toyota paid for all but $850. That was May 5/09.
    On June 14th, driving at highway speed, power was suddenly lost. The engine would only run at idle speed and I could progress at only 20 MPH. The"Check VSC System" and "Check Hybrid System" came on. Prior to this the "Close Fuel Lid" light kept coming on. The fuel lid would pop open even when the ignition was not on.
    I had it towed to the dealer which found nothing and returned to me after I paid a $215 Analyzer check.
    On July 7th the same thing happened. I had the car towed in and it still there. This time they were able to replicate the problem while test driving it with the analyzer connected. They contacted Toyota Canada's head office who said they had not encountered such a problem before. They said they need more data which would require the "problem" to occur again while test driving it. I wonder how long this will take.
    I asked for a loaner but none was offered.
    Would you please tell me how your problem was resolved and where your dealer is. If the problem was resolved, maybe Toyota Canada could call them to find the solution and get it done.
  • schmeevenschmeeven Member Posts: 4
    Hell no..........back and forth and back and forth....Toyota engineers claiming there was nothing in A Hybrid or the battery which could produce the acetonitrile so whether or not it was present (which we were confident of due to the expensive testing done by an environmental concern) they had no responsibility. The dealer..Carlson Toyota in [non-permissible content removed]
    Rapids Mn. was always helpful and finally offered to purchase the car for wholesale after we left it at the dealership for 6 months.This was not a good result but we were unwilling to (ethically) sell it privately knowing what we knew. This was my 6th (and last) Toyota. Don't believe their beautiful ads...its just a money game.
  • zookprzookpr Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem. I bought a used 2007 TCH on July 22, 2009, with 33,995 miles (2 weeks ago). Since then I've put on 1,000 miles (now at 35,010). It has been raining a lot in New England and I don't have a garage. The first week the weather was ok, and I was not using the air conditioning much. Last week, beginning on Sunday I started using the air. This past Sunday (a week later) I noticed a roll of paper towels I had thrown on the floor in the rear passenger side was wet. I also noticed condensation on the windows last Friday. Today (Tuesday) I got in the car and there was a lot of condensation. So much I had to wipe it off with a towel. When I felt the floor mats all were wet as was the carpetting underneath. Last night after I had realized this I came to an abrupt stop and could hear water swishing, but can't tell if it is in the side rails or the front.

If I take it to the dealer wouldn't any work be covered under the warranty?

Thanks!
  • wreednelsonwreednelson Member Posts: 10
    TAKE IT NOW! :sick:
    Your warranty is about to expire so they should cover it.
    You are also armed with knowledge no matter what happens.
    The fix is easy, and almost guaranteed to be the condenser drain tube. Don't let them pull your dash just so Toyota can pay them for a bigger job than necessary either. Just blow some air in there... the tube does NOT need to be replaced either.
    If they say you have a coil leak, make them take you to the shop and show you the test AS IT HAPPENS. If they give any excuse not to do this go elsewhere. [BTW, they often site "safety" reasons, but this is nonsense].

If it is warranty work I'd push for new carpet and padding in the entire floorboard.
  • mustaffa1mustaffa1 Member Posts: 2
    What would you say if there was water on the carpet in the front and back?
  • wreednelsonwreednelson Member Posts: 10
    Same thing. The condenser box is down at floor level. When water backs up in it the result is like a sink slowly overflowing. The water gets on both sides of the floor pan. Then the padding wicks it into the back passenger footboard. I had water everywhere. It took two laundry loads of towels and 5 days with a fan blasting my car to dry it out.
  • mak23mak23 Member Posts: 1
    We also have a smelly 2008 camry hybrid. Did you find a solution? We leave our windows open while the car is parked in the garage but the smell is still there. It's worse in the back seat, to the point that it makes our kids feel sick. I'd say it's a sour and chemical type of smell. We bought a Rav4 on the same day, both vehicles are new and only the camry has the smell. Both vehicles are kept clean and maintained. The Camry now has 20 000kms and the smell is the same if not worse.
  • schmeevenschmeeven Member Posts: 4
    Toyota insisted there was no possible way that our car's stink and proven presence of methyl cyanide (aka acetonitrile) could have come from any Toyota compnonent (this was the car my wife drove 1 mile to work every day and that's it...never loaned to anyone else ...we didn't dare drive it..sat at the dealer's for 6 months...camry drivers beware..Toyota does not deal in good faith
  • pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    How does one remove the windshield wipers. Mine are getting hard and I want to replace them. How do I get the old ones off ?
    There is nothing in the owners manual.
  • bruser1bruser1 Member Posts: 31
    Not really sure if this will answer your question but this link has some instruction regarding the windshield wiper system. Copy and paste the link below and look on page 17-18.

http://camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen6/2GR-FE/Wiper_and_Washer.pdf
    Thanks. that shows how to remove and replace the wiper blades on the pages you pointed out.
    I bougt some single, center clip wipers that are Teflon. I got them at Amazon.com
  • spunkyjayspunkyjay Member Posts: 1
    I just got back my 2007 TCH from our local dealer (here in the Philippines) where they performed a 20,000-mile periodic maintenance tune up/check up.

On my way home the "check engine" indicator lit (the yellow light with the Engine symbol and below it read CHECK). I called my Toyota service advisor and informed him of the incident. I still have to bring back my car to the dealer first thing Monday morning to find out what caused the "check engine" indicator to light up since it's already a Sat evening.

I was still able to drive my car home though since I was on the road when this happened and except for the lit indicator, didn't feel anything strange with the car. I just hope it's nothing as complicated as the other problems encountered by some owners while reading through this forum.
  • bob_grahambob_graham Member Posts: 63
    Did you do a fill up? Check the fuel door / gas cap. If the gas cap is loose the check engine light may come on. It may take a few miles for the code to reset if the cap is loose.
  • carexpertcarexpert Member Posts: 3
    My 2009 had a similar problem and they replaced the whole hose system (from gate to tank) and it solve it at once. The mentioned that TCHs had this part defective.
  • wipers123wipers123 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone put those newer-style, frameless windshield wiper blades on an older (circa 1999) Camry? Do they fit ok? How to they perform? How do they look?

I upgraded the wipers on my 07 Mazda 3 to trico neoform beam blades and they work unbelievably awesome but that is a newer vehicle with a fairly curved windshield. I'd like to hear about people with an older camry with a little flatter windshield. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Jeff :confuse:
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, they should work with no problem. Just be sure to get the right lengths, esp. since the driver side is longer than the passenger side, if I remember correctly for that generation of Camry.
  • rocoroco Member Posts: 1
    :D I just purchased a 2007 Camry hybrid :D and would like a 2007 Camry hybrid brochure to add to my collection. I tried on ebay with no luck. Anybody have any ideas where I could find one.
  • fred2005fred2005 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get this problem resolved, and if so how? We have taken our Camry
    Hybrid to the dealership several times without any results.

Thank you for your help.
  • willmci9willmci9 Member Posts: 1
    This chemical smell, in used cars or brand new? I've had this problem in a used 07 4runner previously owned by a smoker. The dealer initially tried to cover it up with some strong chemically smelling stuff. I think they basically sprayed the whole interior with some sort of awful chemical. It was bad, so I took it back to them. Then they explained the were going to ionize the inside which would completely get rid of any smell. False. The chemical smell was still there, although not as strong. Just a case of the dealership doing as little as they possibly can.

The real reason I ventured to this board is because I'm thinking of trading my 07 SR5 4runner for a Hybrid. The 4runners aren't what they used to be. I'm not loving the cheap plastic look at all, and the 18 mpg doesn't help either. I just feel weird trading a 4runner for a TCH. I never thought I'd drive anything other than a 4runner until I experienced the 07, It's just not the same quality I've been accustomed to over the years. It's still a great vehicle, just not close to what they used to be.What is the quality of the TCH like? Has quality dropped in the camry as well? '
  • ladysportsfanladysportsfan Member Posts: 1
    I'm scheduled for dealer service shortly. Have 49k on my 2009 TCH (purchased in 2008) and have two main concerns.

I have found 2 small spots of rust on the top of the car. My son pointed it out to me. They are small, but it is rust on a relatively new car. My TCH is white. Has anyone else had this problem? If so did they repair it?

There is extremely loud "road type" noise from the rear wheels, mainly on the right hand side. Have brand new tires, up to date maintenance, etc. But this is prevalent between 45-60mph. I was told it could be a wheel bearing. Does anyone have any idea?

Still getting great gas mileage but I'm not sure if I'll keep the TCH much longer.
  • jhawkins2jhawkins2 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same strong "chemical smell" odor problem with my '07 TCH. I am curious to know what was the final resolution?
    I traded a 2003 4Runner V-8 with Sport package that got 15 MPG in town and on the road. (actually took it off road on the NC Outer Banks) for a 2009 TCH.
    I really liked the 4Runner. The TCH gets close to 35 MPG in Town and over 40MPG on the road. We had so much snow last year, I really wished I'd kept the 4Runner. I had no complaints with my 4 Runner. The TCH is boring by comparison. There is at least as much cheap plastic in the TCH as on the 4Runner. I think you might miss your 4Runner if you trade it on a TCH.
  • involvedinvolved Member Posts: 1
    I am the unhappy owner of a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid- has anyone any advise /suggestions for me about the following problem- on 3 occasions I have come home from travel to find my car sitting at the airport with a dead battery (2 times after 7 and 5 days) or parked at home with the same deadness.
    One Toyota mechanic suggested that this is standard for this car- if that is true Toyota is in for a ground swell of unhappy owners as well as for a class action attorney's dream case. I welcome some help here
  • fredo48fredo48 Member Posts: 11
    Very odd behavior! I have a 07TCH and have not driven it for up to 12 days without battery issues (including the winter here in MI). The only time it discharged was after I had the remote start installed - the battery would run down, but there was a service bulletin that was published regarding this and the problem was fixed (over 2 years ago), and no problems since then. It is NOT standard for this (? or any) car. Good luck.
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Member Posts: 194
    Which battery was dead? The 12v that powers the electronics or the traction battery?
  • hmac1hmac1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2008 Certified Lexus IS 250 from a dealer in the S.F. Bay Area.
    It too has a really strong chemical smell. I didn't notice it until I had it a couple of days. I took it back to the dealer and they said they did the ionization treatment for a day and a half.

When I got it back, it had more of a saddle soap odor, like a leather treatment. However, after 4 days the original chemical smell is coming back with a vengeance. It's actually nauseating after being in the car a short time. I keep the windows and sunroof open when not driving it - to no avail.

Did you ever find the source of the smell?
    Thanks.
  • shortmillersshortmillers Member Posts: 2
    We are having the same problem. We live in a downtown area and also work near where we live. We often go close to a week without driving. We also have the 2009 Camry Hybrid. We are now having problems when we let it sit more than a couple days. Their only suggested solution is to drive it more! We are trying to be green and Toyota is not helping. Did you find a solution?
  • fredo48fredo48 Member Posts: 11
    Well, I believe it was the traction battery as I had to "jump it" to get going.
  • shortmillersshortmillers Member Posts: 2
    We have to jump it every time too. Have you found no permanent solution?
  • debbi85debbi85 Member Posts: 1
    I can't even believe what I'm reading right now! We thought we'd google Toyota Camry Hybrid Odor for the heck of it, and here we are!!! I have a 2009 TCH that i purchased brand new end of 2008. I drive 100 miles 5 days per week plus weekend trips from NJ to PA. The smell started about one month ago. We tore the car apart thinking there was an apple hidden somewhere under a seat, in trunk, under seat covers, floors, everywhere!!! took everything from the inside and washed it. The smell is not going away..

I happened to call my dealership service dept to see if they could check it out tomorrow... we figured the battery may be going bad. Of course, if it's not the battery, they charge $99 just for the inspection (who knows what they would tell me is wrong with the car if they're not owning up to this!!) I've been out of work due to health issues... now I need to check for this chemical poisoning!! WTF??
  • jenn1970jenn1970 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2009 THC new in June of 2008 and live in a mountain state which I travel mostly on hills daily. I now have 111,000 miles on it. I have always had my car serviced every 5,000 miles at a Toyota dealership.
    I have never had to replace the front brakes but did have the front rotors resurfaced in September 2011. Living in the mountains I thought this has been a great positive for the THC since other cars I am having brakes replaced every few months.
    When I went for my oil change 2-14-12 I found out I needed my back brakes replaced which was $120.99 including labor and tax. While doing my oil change they noticed that something had sprayed on the underside of my car hood and also there was a pink crust build up around the water pump and the anti-freeze was lower than normal. To be on the safe side since I do travel a lot I let them replace this as well which was $485.59 including labor and tax..... With all of that said, when you mentioned a smell in your car and looking for an apple. The guy that showed me the water pump and the build up due to the water pump being bad also said that some times the inside of the car will have a sweet smell to it. So, you may want to have that checked out if you are still having this issue.
  • patty37patty37 Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend owns a 2011 Camry. The battery goes dead after 3 days when it is parked with a fully charged battery summer or winter. Up here it is -40 F. so this is a safety issue in the winter. You come to your car and it won't start at -40 you could end up with hypothermia. Toyota solution is to tell her to drive the car more. She can't because she is a flight attendant and she is gone for 3-4 days at a time. Toyota dealership sure has not been very helpful!! She has been back a 1/2 dozen times. I will never recommend a Camry to anyone based on the treatment she got from the dealership. Has anyone come-up with a solution to this chronic problem in Camry's.?
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2013
    My mother has a 2008 Avalon that had that same problem. Our local Toyota dealer said the same thing, to drive it more, which is a load of croc. The owner of the Toyota dealer where my sister lived said to bring it to them. They had it for almost a week and came up with the answer. The autodimming mirror was wired backwards at the port where the car came in, which I think was Houston. The mirror was constantly on when the car was off draining the battery. After the mirror was wired correctly, the car battery has not died, and by the way, my mother drives an average of 10 miles a week. She has become the little old lady that only drove her car to church on Sunday. Hope this is what your solution turns out to be.
  • bbillinbbillin Member Posts: 11
    I needed to change my air filter and went to the dealer with the car model number and engine size, 2.4L. They looked in the computer and gave me a filter which is too small. But the current one I have does not have a number on it and I don't see one in the manual.

The new one the dealer gave me is #17801-0H050 which is not wide enough.

Anyone know what the model number should be for the 2009 Camry Hybrid 2.4L engine?

Thanks,

Barb
  • jkoteljkotel Member Posts: 1
    Seem to be having the same issue. Did the dealership resolve your problem? What did they say the cause was?
  • tazza3tazza3 Member Posts: 1
    Camry Hybrid, stops at random. Have to sit for 10-15mins before restarting the car. Toyota (dealer omited) told us the error codes need removal was done and that should fix it. Did but less than 24hrs it started again. Hyrbid is being used for taxi work high millage, this is not a low millage car. ANYONE else have this trouble what did you find was the cause? PLEASE we don't have a lot of money to keep pouring into this car. Others with this problem in the taxi fleet have been charged up to $10k without fixing the issue (another toyota dealer).
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    tazza3 said:

Camry Hybrid, stops at random. Have to sit for 10-15mins before restarting the car. Toyota (dealer omited) told us the error codes need removal was done and that should fix it. Did but less than 24hrs it started again. Hyrbid is being used for taxi work high millage, this is not a low millage car. ANYONE else have this trouble what did you find was the cause? PLEASE we don't have a lot of money to keep pouring into this car. Others with this problem in the taxi fleet have been charged up to $10k without fixing the issue (another toyota dealer).

What error code are you getting? That will help narrow down what's going on.
  • ezenniaezennia Member Posts: 1
    Good day Ladies and Gentlemen. We have a 2007 Camry Hybrid. Its been doing great since bought. But we had to do some body work just before Christmas. After the repairs and painting, the engine wouldn't start. All lights come on the dashboard, but the error message is 'CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM' and 'CHECK VSC'. Its been 3 weeks. I need help pls my people. Thanks for Helping.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    fredo48 said:

Well, I believe it was the traction battery as I had to "jump it" to get going.

If you are jumping it that is the 12v battery. You can't "jump" the traction battery.