Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• tommyd2tommyd2 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I have good news. I fixed the problem. Was not an easy fix though.

I placed the back wheels on the Jimmy on 2 ramps. Disconnected the positive battery post. Took the spare tire down and out of the way. I dropped the fuel tank. On my 4 door Jim/Slt it required loosening the two straps securing the gas tank to the vehicle. I placed a jack under the tank with a 2x4 on the jack to slowly lower the tank. I had to also move the tank to the passenger side to clear a bolt going through the leaf springs on the driver side. I disconnected all the fuel lines, wire connectors, and hose filler clamps leading to the tank and to the fuel pump and lowered the tank some more. One thing right of the bat is to watch the front of the tank as you lower. There is a hose and connector at the very front. I broke the connector of the fitting and that part is 21.00..be careful and try to get to that hose before lowering all the way down. Its a short hose and hard to see at the front of the tank(front = up towards driver)

As I was lowering I notice one of the fuel connectors on the fuel pump was almost broken off. I then knew that was a serious problem and the source of the smell of gas...I barely had to touch it and it fully broke away from the fuel pump. I drained all the gas I could and then pulled the gas tank from under the car. I took the old fuel pump out by taking the o-ring from under the ledge holding the fuel pump in the tank. I called and got several prices on fuel pumps. Local Chevy dealer wanted 385.00..I got mine from oriley for 210.00 with a 1 year warrenty...

I replaced the fuel pump.. reversed procedures and knock on wood, runs like a champ.

If your problem was similar to mine, take the spare down, out of the way, look at the 3 fuel line connectors going into the fuel pump over the back axle. Lightly wiggle them and see if you have the same problem.. I know the fuel pump I took out was good still, its just the piece that broke off of it. I had 144,000 on the orginal, so figured it had done good, since I hear most are replaced at 100,000.

That cleared up the problem. I had a friend help me all day, and thats a good thing not having to crawl back and forth to find tools and with hauling the fuel tank up and down.

I think I spent close to 300.00 and that included lunch for my friend and misc. new tank hose and connectors.

Long day but all in all, feel real good about the fix.

Let me know if this helps you or any advice I am able to give.

TommyD.
  • ga_boy1ga_boy1 Member Posts: 3
    any clues guys??
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I believe the post right before yours answered your question.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rita80rita80 Member Posts: 1
    We can drive it for days then it will sputter and die crank a few times it starts back up.We can drive it for a few days before it does it again and sometimes its more often.
  • jg85jg85 Member Posts: 3
    Its a 93 GMC Jimmy 4.3 vortec. When I turn the key all the electronics work but the starter doesn't do anything. I just replaced the starter thinking that was the problem but alas no it wasn't. Oh and the battery is fully charged.

Thanks for any help.

Josh
  • ed46ed46 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 97 chevy blazer r/4, it is not getting power to the ignition but it still cranks strong.
  • yoyomanyoyoman Member Posts: 1
    97 blazer 100.000 miles on it. It died on the hi way when i was engaging the cruise control it just shut off. cranks over dose not start. Fuel pump is working tested at test point on the firewall. it was replaced at 98,000 on new plugs, cap rotor. wires. It fires up with starting fluid. It just started showing P0440 codeEVAP system. not sure what this refers to.any ideas . Thanks

AJM.
  • cpuhachcpuhach Member Posts: 3
    sounds exactly like my blazer,dealer told me when i figure it out to tell them so they know too. Have u figured it out yet, driving me nutz!
  • ejm3905ejm3905 Member Posts: 12
    1998 gmc jimmy had it towed home last night would not start,started this morning,shut off truck and would not start,security light blinking,changed passlock and main connector harness,went thru the 3 ,10 minutes key cycles, truck still will not start.can any one help truck has 147000 miles on it and has been taken care of very well,first problem with the truck since i have owned it .-
  • ejm3905ejm3905 Member Posts: 12
    I changed the passlock,passlock connector nad the fuel pump truck running fine now,only cost me about $650.00 with me doing all the work.
  • fvaccarofvaccaro Member Posts: 2
    i have a chevy 2003 blazer 4.3 vortec 4x4, i recently drove it to work ran fine, after it sat for approx.four days it would not start, fuel pump kicks on, i replaced fuel filter and it does appear to be getting fuel. it just sits there and cranks over, i removed the ignition control module and had it tested, it was fine. i would appreciate any help anyone can give
  • fvaccarofvaccaro Member Posts: 2
    my post is number 115 and i am between a rock and a hard place, getting married thursday and need the blazer someone, anyone aaaah!!!!! :sick: PLEASE
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking in the "No Start" Problems discussion too - maybe it's not a Blazer specific problem.

and Congrats on the impending nuptials!
  • dm2785dm2785 Member Posts: 2
    I have 1997 Chevy Blazer with several little quirks.
    In October it died while I was driving, made a kind of loud humming sound and quit right there in the middle of the road. It started up just fine after a few minutes but had a hard time accererating uphill and acted like it wanted to quit, be we made it home. After taking it to a mechanic we replaced to o2 sesor and it has run fine until a few days ago.

We have had problems with the heater only working when it wants to also. It quits working with no warning and next day works just fine.

The latest issue is a problem starting. It quit in the middle of the parking lot a few days ago. I was able to restart it after a few attempts and it drove fine. The next day it wouldn't start. I let it sit there untill today when I went out and got it to start after messing with it a few times. I turned the key to see if I could hear the fuel pump kicking on and I heard nothing. I then tried to start it to see what would happen and of course nothing just that noise a car makes when it's struggling to start. After that noise went away I heard the fuel pump kick on. I pulled the key out, put it back in, and tried to start it and it started! It's like theres a delay in the fuel pump kicking in. Help me please...the words fuel pump sound expensive, is this just an electrical problem?
    Thanks!
  • destinystarrdestinystarr Member Posts: 1
    help! My 2000 blazer 4wd is driving me crazy. My problem is it will run fine then surprise you and not start back up. It cranks but just won't start...has a mind of it's own of when it wants to start. Was told fuel pump..but pressure is fine. Then told to replace crank position sensor. Do you have any advice b4 I buy this part?
  • debbie711debbie711 Member Posts: 3
    I just spent mpney at service station stating no codes read my blazer. It won't startunless you jump start it n the morning. Replaced dist cap, coil, rotor, new wires and plugs, battery. Replaced fuel pump about a year ago, do u think the pump is bad.
    My car only gives me a hard time after it sits all night. What do u think?????
  • morenolmmorenolm Member Posts: 2
    I am having similar problems. Mine is #3109. Have spent a total of $250 in parts and $265 in labor. This started only after having a tune-up in September. But mine won't start with a jump. It will only start when it's finally had it's "hissy fit".

I've had 2 fuel pimps in the past 3 yrs, the last one being in July, but there is fuel going thru.
    i have a 2001 chevy blazer to 4.3 vortec took it to three stations they said they cant find anything either my husband changed,fuelpump,plugs,wires,distrubtorcap,rotor,coil pack still does the same thing once it gets started it is fine you might want to try this turn key on for three seconds, shut key off then turn key on for two seconds turn key onoff then thrid time it should start my husband been doing this for a couple of days and it works
  • don111don111 Member Posts: 2
    i have another problem the blazer has sat since mid summer it started when i parked itnow it acts like its not fireing it just turns over and then it will hit like it is going to fire then it just keeps on turning over what could this possably be
  • igmaamigmaam Member Posts: 4
    My blazer will start with no problems, but when I shut if off after travelling four or five miles, it will not start again. It cranks a little, but shows signs of a dead battery. If I just leave it for fifteen or twenty minutes, sometimes less, it turns over fine, like it just needed to catch its breath. It is a completely stock truck, no mods. Has classic hot exhaust by starter, no headers. Have replaced starter twice, works okay for a while, then problem returns. The battery is supposed to be good. It can be jump started, but I'd like to fix the problem. Any ideas? I've been stranded at the grocery store, dog park, and post office.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Does it have the heat shield in place? Sounds like a classic case of heat getting to the starter.
  • igmaamigmaam Member Posts: 4
    We thought of that, but didn't think would apply since the blazer doesn't have headers. We'll have to take a look underneath, thanks for the suggestion.
    I hv a 2001 blazer, wouldnt start one day and then the next day starts, we replaced cap, rotor, wires, and finally replaced fuel pump even though we could hear it kick in, it just wasnt pressure of 60, more like 15, so i fixed it myself for $240 instead of deal price of $800 and thank god it has been working over a week. I changed thermostat but still heater doesnt always work.
  • rsolersole Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 blazer with 135,000 miles on it that recently started to get sluggish when trying to start it. It sounds like the battery is low. This has happened a few times now but each time I get it home, the voltage at the battery when the engine is running is just over 14 volts and when not running it is 12.6 to 12.8. The connections at the battery are clean and the ground connection is good.

It will act up (a couple of times I did not think it was going to start) and then start fine for several days or weeks before acting up again. It doesn't seem to make a difference whether the engine is cold or hot.

To add information, this is the 4th battery I have had in the vehicle. Each time it just suddenly would not start. Never any warning. Also, there has always been a voltage fluctuation. At night I can see a slight flicker in the headlamps, almost like a pulsing, but it never failed to keep the battery charged.

I basically work out of my truck and can not afford to get stranded. I have been carrying a battery jumper to be safe but if the battery shorts out, as happened before, it will not even start with a jump.

Any ideas?
    Ever replace the starter? The bushings in the starter motor may be worn, causing it to drag and act like the battery is weak. This will also suck the life out of a battery as it has to dump a lot more current in the attempt to get the starter motor to turn.
  • blazergirl96blazergirl96 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 96 Blazer LS, 156,000 miles, 4WD, 6cyl that runs like a top...when it starts!! 1st issue happened when turning the corner and the truck died and wouldn't start back up. Changed the cap and rotor and ignition mod. Ran great for a couple of weeks! One day didn't start...took the other truck, came home to check for spark, and it started! :confuse: Ran great for a week. Went to start...no such luck! Same situation...took the other truck, came home to check for spark, lots of spark, but this time it didn't start. Towed it to the garage, put it on the charger overnight, mechanic went out checked some of the connections...all seemed fine, then hooked it up to the computer, and the truck started right up!! :confuse: This was the 2nd time being on a computer, the only codes that come up are for a secondary O2 sensor which we know is related to the cat converter and have been told that it has nothing to do with the vehicle starting. So since it was running there wasn't really anything to fix. Drove it home, ran great for 2 days, went to start it this afternoon...NOTHING! Everytime there is spark and fuel. So what ever is going on is intermittent. We have stumped 2 mechanics. We were thinking next, maybe the ignition switch? PLEASE someone...I need some suggestions! Where do I check from here?
    Thanks in advance!

PS I have a remote starter and we thought maybe it was malfunctioning, so we disconnected it. Not the problem!
  • lesahudsonlesahudson Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 chevy blazer. It will start, run for about 5 minutes (until it is warm) then shut off. It will restart after it cools off (20 - 30 minutes). It seems to run fine, until it shuts off. I have replaced the fuel pump. Do you have any suggestions as to what might be the problem.
  • lesahudsonlesahudson Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 chevy blazer that will start and run for about 5 minutes, until it gets warm and then stall. It will restart after it cools down, but then stalls again. I have replaced the fuel pump. Do you have any suggestions. Money is tight, and I can't afford to make costly repairs, that won't fix the problems.
    Thanks
    Sounds like a classic coil problem. Check to see if you are getting spark when the engine dies.
  • kristen459kristen459 Member Posts: 1
    How much does it cost for a new starter for my vehicle?
  • bcarpenterbcarpenter Member Posts: 1
    I just had the starter replaced on my 1993 Blazer, but she is still having a problem starting. It has a 4.3 L V6 Vortec with 191,000 miles. I've been told it could be build up in the injectors, but I've also been told it could be a compression problem. When I start it after sitting overnight I have to spray carburetor cleaner in the intake valve for it to fire. After that it's fine unless it sits longer that 30 - 45 minutes. After that time frame the whole spray to fire process starts again. Can anybody tell me what this problem is so I don't spend a fortune on pointless work and carburetor cleaner???!!!
  • sheps47sheps47 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 92 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3L. It starts fine most of the time, but every once in awhile it won't start. It acts like the battery is dying. After waiting 10 minutes it will start up fine (without charging the battery). It does it whether or not I've charged the battery or not. Please help.
    Could be an intermittent cell in the battery. How old is the battery, and have you checked the voltage on the battery when this occurs? Are the battery terminals clean?

Easy trick: when the engine won't start, turn on the head lights. If they are dim, you either have a bad battery or connection, probably also at the battery. If they are bright, but dim noticeably when you try to start the car, same thing, either battery or connections.
  • sheps47sheps47 Member Posts: 9
    I think the battery is pretty old. It has been drained completely twice when the dome light was left on accidentally. The voltage is around 14 when it is running.
    Thanks for the help. I'll check the headlights and see if the battery is the problem.
    Thanks!!!
    Well, if you are seeing 14vdc with the engine running, you know your alternator is working!
  • blazergirl96blazergirl96 Member Posts: 5
    My '96 would turn over good and only start intermittently...it was the COIL! It was arcing and grounding out to the engine. Would turn over, but no fire! Replace coil and wire and problem all fixed!! It took us replacing all kinds of parts relating to the ignition to find this out!! CHECK YOUR COIL!! If it sparks like a christmas tree...it's no good!!
    Good point. Easy trick is if the car will start, mist water onto the coil and wires. Can get exciting to watch at night, but will tell if the insulation is breaking down. Since you identified this as your problem, I have had a GM mechanic tell me this is a common problem on the 4.3L because the coil wire tends to rub up against a bracket between the coil and distributor cap.
  • kindvaskindvas Member Posts: 1
    I have had to put in an after market EGR gasket with a screen on a '95 GMC Sonoma and now a '95 Chevy S-10 Blazer because of this same problem. The screen prohibits the chunks of carbon from clogging the EGR valve in the "open" position which in turn allows gas to keep flowing. In both cases, the EGR valve was stuck open because of chunks of carbon lodged in it.

Just a thought. Good luck!
  • tim6261tim6261 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 4.3 jimmy starts for a -second -then dies I've replaced the fuel pump mass airflow sencer fuel filters good and check the presser holds at 60 lbs even when starting . If I put gas in throtle body it will run fine hate to send it to a shop plz help...
  • tim6261tim6261 Member Posts: 2
    My 98 4.3 jimmy starts for a -second -then dies I've replaced the fuel pump mass airflow sencer fuel filters good and check the presser holds at 60 lbs even when starting . If I put gas in throtle body it will run fine hate to send it to a shop plz help...
  • jaymc75jaymc75 Member Posts: 2
    My 99 Chevy Blazer 4.3L has been stalling out and sometimes not starting, but if I wait 15 to 30 minutes it will start back up. However I can only drive for about 1 mile or so and it will stall out again. If I let it sit for a few hours it will start and run fine for about a week. This has happened 3 times now. I replace the fuel filter and the fuel pump back in October. I replaced the Spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor 3 days ago. What could my problem be?
    Could be lot's of things. I assume you are not getting any codes set (Autozone will check for free) but one thing that can cause that symptom is an intermittent crankshaft position sensor. GM has had problems with those things off and on since the late 80's. If the sensor doesn't pick up the magnetic pulses from the crankshaft, the computer thinks the engine is not turning and will shut off the fuel, ignition, or both.

They aren't cheap, so I wouldn't just change it out, but it is an easy repair. Takes about 5 minutes, tops.
  • elaney1981elaney1981 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 1998 jimmy I have codes that come up that I know what they mean 0300,0172,0175. My question is after doing the plugs and wires I still have a starting problem and a rough idle. (i cleaned the egr valve) Monro muffler told me that they see these type of symptoms with the jimmys blazers and it is the fuel regulator allowing too much fuel to the spider assembly (while cranking the engine to start i smell alot of fuel) press the gas pedal a bit and it will start. i still get 20 or so miles per gallon. besides a little hesitation after a red light it drives good. what do you all think. thanks for the help in advance
  • bmpgbhbmpgbh Member Posts: 4
    I go to start my 98 blazer and it runs for a few seconds then dies, have replaced the PCM but it still wont start. Any body have ideas what it could be?
    When you say "flooded" how deep, how long. Water is a nasty thing on electrics. The fuel pump will pressurize the system and allow the car to start, but uses a different method to keep the pressure up. There is a crankshaft position circuit that determines if the engine is turning. An open in that circuit will tell the computer that the engine is not turning and shut off the fuel. Keeps you from having a pressurized fuel system in an accident.
    I had about a foot of water inside the truck, just about up to the front seats. No water got into the engine and is was in the water for about 30min or so.

So if the crankshaft position circuit is the problem would if be a fuse or a sensor?
    It could just be crud in the connection. The sensor is on the front of the engine down at the crankshaft. Mounts externally and has a three wire harness going to it. This is a very low amplitude signal, so make sure the connection is dry and clean.
  • elaney1981elaney1981 Member Posts: 16
    Did anyone or does anyone have this problem with there jimmy?
    I cleaned the plug and the connector, still wont run. I did notice that the security light in the instrument panel is staying on all the time. Would the air bag control unit, send a signal to the pcm if it was faulted and thought that the air bags have been deployed? does anybody know what the modual on the passenger side just under the glove box is.
    Not sure what that module is, but the Remote keyless Entry module, which I believe also is the security link, is mounted to the backside of the underdash kick panel, just about the emergency brake pedal.