Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer Starting and Stalling Problems

Comments

• marblazemarblaze Member Posts: 16
    my 99 blazer has a starting problem when cold , the sevice engine soon light is on i had it checked at the auto parts store scanner read( fuel lean ) anyone know what this means??????????????????
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    That sure sounds like a CPI spider leak, or fuel regulator leaking. Search the Blazer boards for injector leak, CPI problems, fuel spider and you will probably find your answer.
    Do you have the exact code the reader got off the computer?
    I JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND HAD TO REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP SO DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY REPLACING PARTS LIKE I DID AND DONT BUY A CHEAP AFTERMARKET PUMP YOU WILL REGRET IT IN ABOUT 2 MONTHS
    yes i just had the same exact problem it was my fuel pump dont buy a cheap aftermarket pump you will regret as i did in about 2 months
  • chevyride22chevyride22 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 1995 Chevy Blazer S-10, 6 cylinder, 4WD. After the engine warms up and you are driving down the road, the engine completely cuts out. If you let it cool off for about 10-15 minutes, it will start again, but you get a hesitation for awhile(almost like it is out of gas) and then it cuts out again. This just recenly started happening. The fuel pump and fuel filter were replaced in January 2009 along with plugs and wires. The problem seems to be temperature related (everytime the engine cools down the car starts again). Any suggestions as to what might be causing the shutdown? Thanks.
    Check for spark. You may have a bad coil. Failing while hot is a typical failure mode.
    my 99 blazer hazard lights dont work ,there is power going to and from the fuse ,when i press the emergency light button on top of the steering wheel the horn sounds one time but no lights if you leave it pressed there is no turn signals or brake lights either????
  • chevyride22chevyride22 Member Posts: 10
    I replaced the ignition coil, but it still cuts out when it gets warmed up. Could it be the fuel regulator, and if so how do you check to see if it is defective?
  • zedd3111zedd3111 Member Posts: 3
    Can a bad egr solenoid cause problems with map sensor operation?
  • jtemplinjtemplin Member Posts: 2
    I turn the key and nothing. I jumped the solenoid it starts. Is this the ingnition switch on steering column? What ciucut number is this? Is there is a fuse to this?
    Please help. I have limited funds?
    jtemplin
  • craneman2craneman2 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 97 BLAZER----BEEN A WHILE BUT LAST TIME I PLUG MY HAND HELD IN NO PROBLEM NOW I GET NO RESPONSE DOES NOT POWER UP HAND HELD DEVICE IS THERE A DATA LINK CONNECTION FUSE? MY BIG ISSUE IS STARTING BLAZER I HAVE SEQUENTIAL THROTTLE BODY IF I PUT A LITTLE GAS IN BODY WILL START AND RUN ON ITS ON WILL NOT START WITH OUT CAP FULL OF GAS SEEMS TO DRIVE FINE ONCE STARTED I HAVE NOT CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE YET GETTING GAUGE THIS WEEKEND ANY IDEAS PLEASE?
  • stealthnystealthny Member Posts: 25
    I have a 1997 blazer. When I purchased it the heater fan wouldnt work. I direct wired it to the battery and the fan ran fine. I replaced the fan speed switch and The heat worked fine for a week. Now it works only when it wants to. Any suggestions? I live in upstate NY and need heat. Also I have noticed that the different options for where the heat comes out doesnt work I can only get defrost and some floor are these doors vaccum or electric

Thanks
    Steve
    Intermittent heat could be a block heatercore. Use sections of heaterhose to connect a garden hose to the core and WITH LOW PRESSURE FROM THE HOSE back flush the core to clear it.

With regard to the air coming out from the wrong places, check the vacuum lines coming from the intake, over the brake booster, and down to the vacuum resevoir located in the drivers side front fender. Very common for these to dry rot and cause the problem you describe. Cheap and easy fix, takes a couple of bucks worth of vacuum lines (two different sizes) and about 10 minutes of labor.
  • dublj23dublj23 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 01 chevy blazer 4.3 2wd. it will not start. i changed the fuel pump today. however after installing, it doesnt seem to be sending, will not pressure. did i miss something? what else could be the issue, the fuel pump relay is fine. however whatever it is, could you please note where item is located and maybe a projected item cost? im not a mechanic, but have a friend (much more knowledgeable) ive been reading a ton of forums in the last couple hours. pleeez help! the grinch is stealing my christmas
    I have a friend that had the same problem he said it was the cam shaft sensor in the distributor
    Does anyone know what v8 motor would be most compatiable to fit and hook up with less trouble in my 99 4x4 s-10 blazer
    Any small block chevy. see www.jagsthatrun.com
  • mit123mit123 Member Posts: 1
    I drove my 2002 chevy blazer with no problems all day,when I stopped to get gas it would not start back.It turns over but it doesnt seem to get any fuel.I'm going to change the fuel filter today.If that doesn't work I will change the fuel pump.Does anyone have any other ideas?Why after I filled the tank up did it not start?
    There are several sensors that could prevent the engine from starting. Oil pressure sensor will shut off the fuel pump, crankshaft position sensor shuts off ignition, if I recall correctly, and a few others.

Before you spend money, kick the bottom of the fuel tank a couple of times. Early in the dying days of a fuel pump they will sometimes "stall", and a good thumping will get them going again. For a while, anyway.
  • jmichelsonjmichelson Member Posts: 1
    just put new tranny, throttle position sensor,cam shaft sensor, in my 2002 4wd blazer LS. ran fine for a day revs up when coming up to a stop and stalls. any ideas?
  • blueblazer1blueblazer1 Member Posts: 1
    My blazer developed starting problems when it got really cold. We can not figure out the problem. My friend the mechanic, had changed the fuel pump and filter last summer. And recently checked the pressure and it seems to be fine. We do not think that it is a fuel pressure or delivery problem. We changed the Idle Air Control valve at that time. Because my friend thought that the fuel air mixture was not adjusting for the colder temperature. He found that when he disconnected the air intake at the clamp where the air filter housing goes to the Mass Air Flow Sensor and we restricted the air flow by mostly covering the opening it would start after a few trys. But the IAC valve did not fix the problem. Over time it became more difficult to start but would usually start, though sometimes it would drain the battery so that I would have to recharge the battery. ( I have a charger at home )

About a month ago , my neighbor who has a car that he races at a local dragstrip, noticed I was having problems getting started. He brought over a can of starting fluid and we sprayed it into the opening where I was doing my routine of restricting the air flow to get it to start ( between the the Mass Air Flow and the air filter ) and the engine fired right up. And fires up every time that I do that now. However spraying the starter fluid into the intake does not help the engine to start, it only helps it to start when I spray it basically into the Mass Air Flow sensor. When it starts the engine revs up real high then revs down to normal. Occassionally when it starts it will sputter and spit like it might stall but usually does not. It levels out after a few seconds. Could it be the Mass Air Flow that needs changed, or some other sensor?
  • whiteblazerwhiteblazer Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like the exact same problem I am having plus my service engine light would go on during trips over about an hour on the highway(would blink sometimes too). I changed my fuel pump and filter, cap, rotor, spark plugs, my wires arent arcing or anything so Im at the point right now where it wont start in the morning, usually have to put a charge on it because I drain the battery trying to get it started. Talked to my mechanic and he thinks its the fuel pressure valve?regulator and/or the injectors. Which is a real pain cause you have to take the upper intake off to access the injectors(one of those spider wed injector set-ups) he suggested that I should just do the fuel pressure regulator at the same time because you already have the upper manifold off and its in the same area as the injectors. Its quite costly to do this so Im not sure if I want to spend that king of money. Let me know if you have heard anything like this or what your buddy the mechanic thinks. Good luck!
  • blazegirl78blazegirl78 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I bought my 1999 Blazer LS a year ago and 3 days after I bought it it died on me while sitting at a stop light and I couldn't get it started again. The dealer took it back and changed the fuel filter and pump. It ran fine for a few weeks then broke down again. The dealer then changed the transmission and fluids and up until Monday it hadn't broken down since. It would have problems starting where it would rev itself up past 2 RPM's when I wasn't even touching the gas and if I didn't let it warm up before putting it into gear to go forward or reverse it would stall out or try to stall out on me unless I pumped the gas pedal a few times to get it moving. And the Service Engine Soon light has been on for almost a year. Monday while driving it it started to jump and hesitate real bad so I pulled over and turned it off. I got it to start but it would die almost immediatley. Then I revved the engine up and at first it wouldn't go past 2RMP's then it would die. The last time I tried it went up past 3RPM's and then died and I couldn't get it to start again after that. The windows and radio and all that worked but the engine would not turn over. I had it towed to my friends shop and he said the ignition coil was bad so he changed that and did a complete tune up on it and changed the oil. I got it back last night and it drove fine but the service engine soon light came back on after I had driven it for maybe 30 minutes. Then today it started to hesitate again while driving and then whenever I stopped at a stop light when I tried to push on the gas it would stall out. Or if at some lights while I was sitting with my foot on the brake it would stall out on me. It would start fine after that but anytime I stopped it would stall. After the 5th time of it doing this I got it started and hit the gas hard and it took off fine but the gas gage went from just under half a tank to completely full. It slowly worked it's way back up to about 3/4 of a tank but still stalled out on me at the next light. I filled it up with gas after that and drove not even half a mile back to my job and it drove completely fine. Any ideas as to what it could be?
  • jaela143jaela143 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 chevy blazer, my dad took it to the mechanic and replaced the starter about 2 months ago. lately the same problem starts up again. I went to the store and then it would not start on me. I waited 15 minutes and it did start again, the filter is new the starter is new. What causes this problem, I see a lot of people who owns this type of vehicle has the same problem as mine. Please help me.
  • jyoung4478jyoung4478 Member Posts: 3
    Have your battery checked, The starter my be getting hot and weak battery wont have enough joice to turn it over. as the stater cools it becomes easier to turn and it starts..... Hotter whether can do that, it's happened to me in the pasted
  • badcat1badcat1 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Jimmy runs fine all winter, but as soon as it gets hot outside, it starts stalling while I'm driving. It does not sputter or anything. It will start easily, as it should, then go for a few minutes and stall again. It will continue to turn over easily, but just stalls quietly. Anyone have any ideas where i should start ? It seems to be related to the hot weather....is the computer overheating maybe....Please help ??
  • gshandymangshandyman Member Posts: 2
    If you have not sold the truck, a way to check if it is the fuel pump is take a hammer and using the flat side of it bang on the fuel tank. Band on it a few times and if the truck starts then you know it is the pump and even being a girl, with an extra set of hands you can replace it very easy.
  • gshandymangshandyman Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    My 97 Blazer will not start. I have replaced the fuel pump twice in the past 6 months.
    I just replaced the fuel filter and it ran fine for two days. Now when I pour gas into the carb area it will start and run as long as I keep pouring it in. I am getting fuel from pump and through filter. I checked the pressure relive valve and I get nothing but drips out of it. Someone please help. I used this truck for business as well as personal and need transportation very soon.
  • lpzlpz Member Posts: 3
    2002 Chevy Blazer - I had the intermittent starting problem (#270) for a couple of years. Car would start then stall right away. Never could tell when it would happen. Maybe the first start of the day or maybe later during another start. Have to hold the accelerator for about 10 minutes until the car decided to run on it's own. No computer codes and no one could figure it out unless it happened in the shops - never did. Many trial and error repairs. The time before last I was assured the worn distributor wires were the cause. It wasn't. The last time the IAC (Idle Air Control) was replaced and I haven't had the problem for the last 4 weeks!
  • hoss350hoss350 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 1998 blazer,when i first start it up it hesitates for a couple of minutes ,,,i have no power then in a few minutes it runs fine.even if it runs a couple hours.and i start it up it still does it.
  • mdbowhuntermdbowhunter Member Posts: 2
    If I remember correctly the 305 in your Blazer is not the stock engine but is from the 1980's. That said it sounds like a carb problem or specifically the electric choke. Depending on the year many of those carbs can't be torn down and rebuilt unless you are willing to do some drilling and tapping. The adjustment screws are often NOT adjustable (thus the drilling and tapping) which makes it a real pain to do anything with the carb.
    When you restart the engine what does the exhaust look and smell like? Is it dark and smelling of fuel? If so that makes me think your choke isn't working properly. Without a carb in front of me I can't remember for sure but I THINK the choke can be replaced. Myself I would look at replacing the entire carb with one that can be adjusted.
  • mdbowhuntermdbowhunter Member Posts: 2
    My 1998 Chevy Blazer has the habit of losing power and sometimes stalling while driving down the road. It is especially bad on hills but does do it on flat roads. It feels like it is loading up when the problem occurs. The engine has 128,000 on it and other than this issue it runs great.
    I am going to replace the fuel filter this evening but would like input from anyone else who has had this problem.

Thank you
    Mike
  • girlsluvtrux2girlsluvtrux2 Member Posts: 1
    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME SOME IDEAS? I HAVE 95 GMC JIMMY IT STARTED NOT WANTING TO START BUT IT WOULD AFTER A WHILE . THE PAST MTH IT'S GOT REALLY BAD. MOST OF THE TIME IT DOSENT WANT TO START AT ALL EVEN WITH STARTING FLUID. ALREADY DID THE PLUGS AND WIRE,FUEL FILTER AND THE FUEL PUMP AND Ahhhh THE ROUGHER, NOT SURE IF I SPELLED THAT RIGHT.THE TRUCK ACTS LIKE IT ISNT GETTING GAS AND I CANT FIGURE IT OUT. WHEN IT DOES START IT RUNS GREAT UNTIL I TURN IT OFF I CANT START IT BACK UP MAYBE SOME THING WITH THE TEMP? I HAD IT SCANNED AND IT CAME BACK WITH THE IGNITION CONTROL MODULE WHICH I DID REPLACE AND IT STILL DIDNT START AND THE OTHER IS A EVAP VACUM SWITCH CIRCUIT I'M NOT SURE WHAT THAT IS YET I HAVE TO LOOK IT UP.COULD IT BE VAPOR LOCK? DOES ANY ONE HAVE A CULE PLEASE HELP THANKS SO MUCH!!
  • jtemplinjtemplin Member Posts: 2
    If you think you're having fuel related problems, check fuel pressure, fuel level in tank, change you're filters and injectors. There may be an in-line fuse that controls ignition, don't count this out. I hope this helps.
  • 00mickx00mickx Member Posts: 3
    Say, did you ever figure out what was causing it??? Mine is driving me nuts - or should I say - financially in ruin as I can't make it to work - let alone in town to get more parts. I've replaced plugs, cap, rotor, coil, ignition module, MAP, cam sensor module, fuel pump, and all filters. It will run all night long and fine in cool weather, but when the sun beats down and the weather gets things hot under the hood, it stalls and won't re start until it cools down. I suspect the crank sensor or MAF - but I'm out of money - HLP!!!!
  • 00mickx00mickx Member Posts: 3
    Ya, I agree the A-holes who design these things should have to work on them!!! As far as changing the plugs - you have to pull off the front wheels and access them through the rubber flaps in the wheel wells. There is only one plug accessible from up top and that is the #1 cylinder. Oh what a joy!!!
  • shaner63shaner63 Member Posts: 3
    My 98 blazer wouldn't want to start when it rained. I changed rotor, cap n wires. and for a while it was fine. Now, it sometimes wont start regardless of wetness or dry, It also will lose power and die while driving, sometimes start right up, sometimes not. I was checking for juice at various points, and noticed that the plug-in to the coil (white/pink) had juice at the pink, but none at white. I believe its supposed to have continuous juice at pink w/ key on, and on/off at white while cranking. Correct? So no intermittant at white while cranking, whats this mean?
  • bigcampbigcamp Member Posts: 1
    If I let my blazer sit for more than 6 hrs it struggles to start but anytime befor that it starts first crank . Fuel pump operates normal but seems as if it sits for long periods it loses prime , if i go start it after 4 hrs its finewhat is the issue ? fuel regulator? where is it located ?
  • rivergirl3rivergirl3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Chevy blazer has had a stalling/shut off problem for a while now. As long as the gas tank is full, I can run the A/C. at 3/4 tank it starts to stall and shut off while I'm driving, I can crank it but I usually can go more than a mile even with no A/C. at 1/2 tank or below the car rarely goes further than 15 to 20 miles and shuts off, no A/C running and the gas needle fluctuates from empty to 3/4 tank and I have to mentally know how much gas is in the tank. Lately I have tried to keep the tank neer full but this is aggravating. I changed the fuel filter about a year ago but that didn't help. I am trapped in a 20 mile radius from my house.
  • shaner63shaner63 Member Posts: 3
    Little help?? As stated above, I got no spark at my white/black wire that plugs into the coil. I had removed the ignition module, got it tested, and it tested bad. I got a new one, installed it, and still no spark at that white/black wire. From what I've read, I believe that white wire should pulse while cranking. What else would keep it from doing so? I have a check eng light on, but cant drive it to get codes pulled. Anyone? I'm desperate.
  • frankie_tfrankie_t Member Posts: 1
    it all started about a week ago, i started having problems with the car stalling. it acts as if it is running out of gas. it happens at any time, mostly during the day. i have changed the fuel filter thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. changed the plugs and wires when i got it 4 months ago. i checked the plugs to see if they were still sparking, and they were covered with carbon. so i changed them agen the other day. it ran good the hole day , then yesterday i drove half a mile down the road and it stalles agen. no codes. i can't figure out what the problem is.plz help, this truck is getting on my last nerve.
  • mccombclmccombcl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Gmc Jimmy 4.3 V-tech, and i can't get it running. I have replaced the battery, starter, fuel pump & filter, also new spark plugs and wires. It starts up but will not turn over. It will turn if I spray stater flid in the intake but stop when I stop spraying. I have a feeling it is the Fuel pressure regulator, but im not sure where it is, or if i will mess up the injectors by replacing it. Any Ideas?
  • 00blazeer00blazeer Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 00 blazer the guy told me nothing was wrong with it, but it sputters, will only start up with fully charged battery, he said it had been sitting for a yr and when it does start up it has slow throttle response. could this be fuel filter problem? thats what i am thinking probley bad gas or something but also i dont want to get into buying a MAF whereas they are so expensive i found one online for 181.00 which is a smokein deal. I just hope its not a MAF. Best case is for me hopefully is fuel filter. any clues anyone could give me?
  • rich145rich145 Member Posts: 1
    truck quit running. fuel pump quit,bought a new one same thing,bought another
    and the fuel pump does not run. found out the first pump runs if directly connected to battery. ran hot wire from battery to pump to run. i get fuel to the injectors. will start but then dies. will not stay running. we will be changing the fuel pressure regulator. help.
  • elsie646elsie646 Member Posts: 2
    I need help badly!! Problem started when car wouldn't start. Had it towed to mechanic who replaced the fuel pump. Got it back and drove ok and but it was making a noise when it started. Mechanic said it was a problem with the flywheel and that was a separate problem. Then car started being hard to start, and would cut off after only a few blocks, so back to shop [took it to a different shop]. Was told it was the fuel regulator, which they replaced. Drove it home and to work the next day. On the way back, it cut off after a few blocks. They towed it back to the shop, then they said it needed a "major" tuneup. They did this and said they replaced something to do with a "spider". Drove it home and parked it for a few days. Still doing the same thing. Got it back to the shop, where they said they replaced the distributer, where they say it starts but won't stay on. They have had the car now for some time, and don't really seem to know what the problem is. I haven't paid for anything else after the tune up. Don't want to keep throwing money away on guessing games. Does anyone have any idea what could be the real problem?
  • srsmkalotsrsmkalot Member Posts: 2
    my blazer was running fine then went out to start it and wont run. the fuel pump was not coming on so i bought a new 1 and installed. still having the same problem. the relay seems to be clicking so i think its good checked all the fuses and all seem to be fine. i need some suggestions please. im pulling what little bit of hair i have out trying to figure out problem
  • slsundslsund Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same types of problems. Did you ever figure this out?
  • ejm3905ejm3905 Member Posts: 12
    no still having the same problem. I just dropped it off to a friend who owns a shop. I hope he can find out the problem. i will keep you posted
  • ejm3905ejm3905 Member Posts: 12
    sorry i thought you were talking about my other post.