Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 and Bluetooth

patpat Member Posts: 10,421
edited April 2021 in INFINITI
What are your Bluetooth experiences? Questions? Issues? Here's the place to talk about them.

Comments

• lawdawgmilawdawgmi Member Posts: 62
    Can anyone outline the process by which to transfer phone address book entries to the M's address book via Bluetooth? I have a Razr V3.

Also, how do I edit an existing entry in the M's phonebook? I can't seem to find any way to do this.
  • captnorm35captnorm35 Member Posts: 16
    I detailed all the steps in:
    captnorm35, "Infiniti M35/M45 2006+" #2616, 8 May 2005 2:08 pm

It's a bit messy as you need to specify which razr entry & which directory # in the M. Once you transfer a few entries, will find can streamline this process.

Norm
  • rmskormsko Member Posts: 21
    Is there a way to do this with a Blackberry 7100?
  • blov8rblov8r Member Posts: 567
    I'm in the process of switching from Sprint to Verizon, and want to get a Treo 650. A week, maybe two, ago someone posted here that he/she got a Treo and it's working well. I have a V710 and it's working well ... although the phone book can't be downloaded and the voice commands work through the car's voice recognition system.

Is there any additional input from anyone who's gotten a Treo? The Verizon store was "iffy" about compatibility, but I suspect their main concern was that the voice commands wouldn't go through the Treo and that's not an issue with me. I'm a "lite" user ... want hands free, and if the Treo will perform for me the way the V710 does I'll be perfectly happy.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.

(Oh, and the sooner the better ... I'm hoping to make a decision by mid-week. Again, thanks.)
  • scoop4scoop4 Member Posts: 40
    I have posted in the past about using my Treo 650 with my M35x. I have used the 650 over the last two months that I have owned the car and the basic bluetooth functions work well. I initiate calls on the Treo using the phone address book and the outgoing call appears on the nav display. I have the option to use either the car sound system or the handset for the call. Likewise if a call comes in while I am driving I can take the call either thru the car or on the handset. The mute function works as well. I find the bluetooth capability acceptable but hope that full compatibility will occur in the future.
    I have posted in the past about using my Treo 650 with my M35x. I have used the 650 over the last two months that I have owned the car and the basic bluetooth functions work well.

Thank you, scoop; I didn't realize it was that long ago but you've answered my question. As long as its functionality is decent and at least consistent with my V710 I can go ahead and get one. I'll give the V710 to my wife. It will still work in my M-car, but unfortunately her '04 Lexus isn't Bluetooth enabled. I'm a low-tech kind of guy so basic functionality is all I want ... and I'll have less "stuff" to lug around.
  • ct1211ct1211 Member Posts: 56
    Guys there are two annoying issues with the TREO 650 bluetooth on the M35/45.

1. You cant currently use the voice recognition on the M to dial a number hands free.
    2. you cant transfer phone numbers - but as I mentioned above you can't initiate a call from the car itself you have to dial from the phone then it will transfer to the car so sending numbers to the car is useless right now anyway! :mad:

I am so miffed at how these companies took a "Universal protocal" - Bluetooth - and screwed it all up
  • dl8dl8 Member Posts: 25
    what will be the best cell phone with bluetooth technology to have that will work with M45?

Thanks.
  • pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    I don't know who your provider is but sprint/palm put out a bluetooth update recently, and every report I've heard says that the Treo and M are working perfectly now. I think the update was 1.12. Do a search for treo bluetooth update

Pete
  • dl8dl8 Member Posts: 25
    my provider is sprint.
    I will check into the Treo,
    Thank you Pete.

David
    Can't wait to get the m45 deliver from Santa Monica to Honolulu.
    Guys there are two annoying issues with the TREO 650 bluetooth on the M35/45.

1. You cant currently use the voice recognition on the M to dial a number hands free.
    2. you cant transfer phone numbers - but as I mentioned above you can't initiate a call from the car itself you have to dial from the phone then it will transfer to the car so sending numbers to the car is useless right now anyway!

I am so miffed at how these companies took a "Universal protocal" - Bluetooth - and screwed it all up

Scoop said he can dial up using voice on his Treo OR the car's voice recognition. While I agree it's all fouled up, I'm content entering all of my phone frequently dialed numbers in my voice rec system and dialing that way. I want the Treo for convenience of carrying one piece of hardware, not two ... and I want some internet connectivity (but not as much as the Blackberry provides). As long as I can receive and send calls through the car's VR system I'll be content.

you have to dial from the phone then it will transfer to the car so sending numbers to the car is useless right now anyway!

This is contrary to Scoop's experience. Understood that you can't dial a number that's not preset in the car's VR system, but if that's the only glitch it's no biggie (at least to me). :shades:
    As of a couple of months ago Infiniti said there were NO Sprint phones that were compatible with Infiniti's Bluetooth capability. My hunch is there is PARTIAL compatibility, not complete, and Infiniti doesn't want the hassle of endorsing partially compatibility and they getting an endless array of complaints. As Sprint has the Treo (as does Verizon) I suspect the functionality will be the same for both. :shades:
    Hi, let me clarify. I am aware of the sprint upgrade. I have Verizon and I do not think the sprint upgrade will work. (I could be wrong - I dont want to try it and screw up the phone). As I stated before I can dial out using my Treo and I can receive calls. The numbers I have programmed into the infiniti phonebook will NOT dial out as the Treo disconnects after a call. My infiniti voice tells me the phone is disconnected. I just gave up my motorola V710 for the Tero last week. The V710 worked perfectly. I am also investigating the new Samsung I730 windows mobile phone / PDA with bluetooth, just released. I have about 9 days left on my sprint 15 day exchange program. If someone has sucessfully updated a Verizon Treo phone with the sprint updat i would love to hear from you!! ;);)
    I just gave up my motorola V710 for the Tero last week. The V710 worked perfectly.

Are you saying that the V710 w/ Verizon worked fine but the Treo through Verizon doesn't work as well? Does the Treo automatically disconnect after each call? That's bizarre --- because the car should recognize it constantly when on and in/near the car. But if that's the case, I don't want the Treo.

Pleeeeeeeze clarify. I'm interpreting your comment to mean that the V710 worked and the Treo doesn't work.

Tell me more about the Samsung I730.
  • pete_l_ppete_l_p Member Posts: 322
    The newest update specifically handles the issues you have:
    It's completely eliminated the disconnect problem, and the inability to dial out from the infiniti phonebook. I understand, however, your legitimate concern about using a sprint update for a verizon phone -- probably a very bad idea. I'd contact palm and verizon and see if they've got any comparable update for your phone.

I'll be buying the i730 also (exciting isn't it?), but I'm waiting to see which provider is the first to actually go live with evdo in my section of the SF bay area. If you do it, please tell us about your i730/M45 experience (and i730 experience in general). I'm, anxiously waiting for the first M/i730 reports.

Pete
    The numbers I have programmed into the infiniti phonebook will NOT dial out as the Treo disconnects after a call. My infiniti voice tells me the phone is disconnected.

ct1211: It seems you and scoop have two different experiences with your Treo's. Are they both the same vintage? Or is one more updated than the other?

I'm going to take a look at the I730. Bart
    I initiate calls on the Treo using the phone address book and the outgoing call appears on the nav display.

I should have read more carefully. Seems you and ct1211 are saying the same thing ... you can't initiate a call through the car's nav system, so the compatibility doesn't really give you "hands free" funcitonality. Are you running into ct's problem with disconnects after a call? If you enter your frequently called numbers into the car's phone system, can you access them hands free using the car's sound system alone? Push the button and respond to the voice prompt by saying (eg) "call home"? That's what I'm doing now with my V710 ... and if that works it's all I'm asking the Treo to do. Bart
  • thajorthajor Member Posts: 10
    While we're on the topic of bluetooth phone compatibility, does anyone have info on compatibility with the Sprint PPC-6600? I'm planning on ordering my M45 Sport in a few weeks, and need a new phone as well. Of course, I'd like to make sure if I spend $500 - $600 on a phone/pocket pc that it will work fully with the M. I'm also going to check out the new Samsung when I can, and would appreciate any input on either of these phones and their compatibility.

Thanks
    Bart, finally you see it!! I had a V710 previous to the Treo - You will not be able to hit hands free and say "call home". If you get a treo 650 from verizon right now all you can do is link to the car. When driving if someone calls it will allow you to answer through the car. Also if you dial out from the Treo it will route the call through the car. If you press voice command on the steering wheel and say call home - the car voice will tell you that the phone is disconnected - everytime. I hope all this helps!! As for the other guy asking about the audiovox 6600 I have no knowledge of performance but my first answer would be good luck!! When Verizon gets some phones in stock (later this week I hope) I intend to try the I730. I will keep you guys informed as to how it works.
    If you press voice command on the steering wheel and say call home - the car voice will tell you that the phone is disconnected - everytime. I hope all this helps!!

Absolutely helps. Just had to ask the right question(s) and read the right answer(s). Maybe the Samsung will connect better? And if all else fails I can get the Parrot ...

Annoying. But good to have folks with experience upon which to draw.

Bart
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    With my prior bluetooth enabled car (LS430) the ONLY way to get a number in the car's directory was via a bluetooth transfer - one number at a time. It was worthless. Part of the problem is most cell phones tie multiple numbers to a name. So only one number gets transferred. The bluetooth standard is one number/name. I find the M's implementation to be outstanding. I can add entries directly. It finds my phone instantly. People can hear clearly. I can dial a number by voice. While I can't push a number from one directory to the other, I wouldn't bother if I could.
  • jgehrlsjgehrls Member Posts: 2
    I have the ppc-6600 and it works well with my M35. I can do everything with the phone via BT--just don't have signal strength status on the nav screen...hoping that when Audiovox updates to 1.2 that will work as well. I had a Treo 650 and sold it due to the compatibility issues and got the 6600...I do notice some voice quality issues with some callers--sounds like they are shouting at the phone--have only had the phone for a few weeks--but overall, I am happy.
    Seems to me the Parrot's the way to go if we want a decent phone/PDA compatibility. Anyone here have a Parrot?
  • mexibecmexibec Member Posts: 114
    > I intend to try the I730. I will keep you guys informed as to how it works

ct1211: please do. I stopped by Verizon today and they were clueless about any car compatibility (not surprising). I called Infiniti and it's not supported as of today, although she did mention that the list on the website is quite obsolete as many new models have been added. She couldn't email me the list, but was willing to enumerate each model supported. I declined, as I'm only interested in the 650 (we now know it's not fully supported - thanks for the previous posts - and Infiniti confirmed that to me) and the i730.
    Mexi, I am supposed to have the phone tomorrow I am getting it next day fed ex. If you order call and ask for the b to b price with new every 2 I got the I730 for 380.00!! (it was 480 with out new every 2) will report back soon
  • thajorthajor Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the info, jgehrls. Please keep me posted if you have any other issues or find out any new information. Does the phone book transfer easily and does it work seamlessly to make and end calls? Also, how bad is the voice quality issue?
    It sounds like it works pretty well so far, just want to make sure before I buy it since I don't have my M yet to test it out.

Thanks again!
  • jgehrlsjgehrls Member Posts: 2
    The phone book transfer was too painful for me to do through the phone itself. But the BT transfer does work. I entered in the information by hand. The voice quality is by far acceptable--the phone works great with the voice activated dialer--no problems like the treo 650 where you did not have full functionality. The only thing I hope gets addressed in the upcoming BT 1.2 firmware upgrade is the ability to show signal strength on the nav screen and the possibility of having the call quality get even better. I call clients all day while in the car--no complaints from anyone.
  • jlp3jlp3 Member Posts: 2
    Just received my 20006 M35x last week. I have a treo650 phone with most recent update from Sprint. Bluetooth has worked great!. I loaded 40 phone numbers into phonebook manually with associated voice recognition. Has anyone experienced the inability to scroll beyound the first 6 entries in the phonebook with voice recognition?
  • benson27benson27 Member Posts: 3
    I will be purchasing a new verizon wireless cellphone next week and wanted to know which phone works better with the M35 Bluetooth, or if anyone can share their experiences both good/bad with either phone.

Thanks
  • jimrejimre Member Posts: 1
    I've found the same problem. Maybe I've just missed it, but there seems to be no way to scroll beyond the first page of the phonebook using voice. I certainly don't want to have to enter voice tags for every entry in the phone book.
    I will be purchasing a new verizon wireless cellphone

There are many posts on this thread going back to May, so cruise through them.

Your best bet is to go to Infiniti's website and see what Verizon phones THEY say couple well; unfortunately, by their own admission the list isn't up to date. I had the Motorola E815 and it had to be connected every time I got into the car ... they say it turns the Bluetooth feature off to save energy when not in Bluetooth range. I went back to my Motorola V710 and it couples to the car every time, no hassle. Neither transfers the phone's phonebook so you need to hand enter your frequently dialed numbers into the car's system ... then they work fine hands free. The sound's a tad better with the E815 but it's a nuisance to have to couple every time.

According to two Verizon dealers here in Tucson they have NO phone that's fully compatible with any car other than Lexus. This will clearly change with time, but right now all Verizon has that seems to work reasonably well (given my caveat above re: hand-entering frequently dialed numbers) would seem to be the V710. The absurdity of it all is that the E815 is supposedly an upgraded V710!

Good luck. Hope to find a Verizon store that's willing to get into your car with you. Verizon tells its dealerships NOT to get into cars, and the Infiniti dealers tell you to take your troubles to Verizon. We have one store here that's willing to break the rules and sit in my car with me to get me set up. Bart :shades:
  • lincj1lincj1 Member Posts: 14
    FYI - I have an M45 Sport and it connects to my Motorola E815 automatically everytime I enter the car. Just need to be sure the Blue Toothg is set to "On" on the E815. Works fine with no complaints.
  • sjcbillsjcbill Member Posts: 82
    I will be purchasing a new Verizon wireless cell phone next week and wanted to know which phone works better with the M35 Bluetooth, or if anyone can share their experiences both good/bad with either phone.

I have the VX8100 and it works well with the M. It connects automatically every time with no button pushes. There seems to be some debate over whether the E815 will do this or not. The Verizon rep told me I would have to turn on the Bluetooth every time. Maybe firmware versions in the phone have something to do with this.

Neither of them will transfer phonebook entries. The outgoing audio quality on the VX8100 seems to be better than the incoming when using the M's Bluetooth. If you get it be sure to set the call privacy setting to "Standard" as "enhanced" reduces the clarity of the audio.

I think the VX8100 menus and options are more logical than the Motorola but others may differ on this. I really like the way the voice dial and phonebook are set up on the VX8100. It's too bad that you can't use the LG's voice dial feature through the M's Bluetooth. The last Motorola I had was a pain with multiple numbers for the same contact. Unless the E815 is better at this, both Samsung and LG appear to handle multiple numbers more logically.
    I have an M45 Sport and it connects to my Motorola E815 automatically everytime I enter the car. Just need to be sure the Blue Toothg is set to "On" on the E815. Works fine with no complaints.

My local Verizon guy said he'd be willing to try coupling he E815 again by first deleting all prior coupling attempts. Now that I have regular connectivity and have changed our numbers, it's not worth more of my time. The shortcut that was set up worked ... but it's easier to simply get into the car and have connectivity.

I may go back to Verizon, but the phones are the same and their inability to transfer the phonebook nullifies the difference. Bart :shades:
  • jdewberryjdewberry Member Posts: 3
    I have the E815 and the default for this phone is to turn off blue tooth to conserve battery life. You can force blue tooth on all the time and recharge it more frequently and then it should connect right after you turn the car on.

Dew
    You can force blue tooth on all the time and recharge it more frequently and then it should connect right after you turn the car on.

One other poster here has constant connectivity with his 815 and I believe that my problem was with the coupling process with my car's system. I'm confident that if I re-coupled, after eliminating all existing couples, it would work just fine but I'm happy with my V710 and my wife has threatened me with bodily harm if I take the E815 back and leave her to re-enter her favorite numbers. Married 40 years, I know not to push the envelope!

Bart
    Just a thought... The Verizon store here will transfer your numbers to a new phone for a small fee. I think it was $10.00 (They used to do it for free if you asked and they weren't too busy,) The phones do not have to be the same brand. I had numbers transfered from a Motorola V710 to an LG VX8100.
    (They used to do it for free if you asked and they weren't too busy,)

Thanks, sjc ... They just did it for me ... switched the numbers between my E815 and V710 ... no charge ... I've done them a couple of favors so they're willing to do it again but the functionality of the two phones is almost identical and I'm satisfied with the V710's connectivity. My wife's concern (and I can't blame her) is that she'd have to re-enter her phonebook in the V710 if we swap and it's not worth the effort.

I will ask them for another favor, however, and that is for them to help get our Parrott Bluetooth connection work for my wife's car. I have friends for whom it works just fine, but it's quirky for her right now. Bart
    Another alternative in which you may be interested is a program called Data Pilot which you load on your computer and use to back up, edit, upload, download, or transfer phonebooks. Adding names and numbers on your computer then uploading them sure beats doing it on the phone. It can also sync with Outlook, Outlook Express, and Palm Desktop phonebooks. The program comes with a cable ( or a bunch of cables if you opt for the universal kit).

You can get more information at http://www.datapilot.com/
  • apintsapints Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone purchased a Motorola Razr from Cingular and had it paired with the M? Was the use seemless with good voice clarity? Can you download the phone book? Any info would be helpfull.
  • edspider1edspider1 Member Posts: 195
    I paired the Razr with my M and it works great. You can't download the phone book.
  • houtxguyhoutxguy Member Posts: 11
    I have a Razr from Cingular and I am able to pair it perfectly. Actually have BT on permanently on my phone so it connects automatically with the M everytime I get in the car - very nice. Also - you can send individual address book entries from your phone to the M's address book. You simply go to your M Address Book function in the car's menu and from your phone you will choose "send" for the specific address. You have to do this for each address - but the prompts are nice that the M gives you and it will even place a voice tag on the specific address if you like.

PM me if you want more info on this.
    I have done so. I have been disappointed with the sound volume and quality of the hands free setup. Specifically, the people I call hands free can barely hear/understand a word I'm saying when I'm at highway cruising speed, which is when I make most of my calls.

On my end, the volume of the hands free speaker needs to be louder.

Otherwise, the address book transfer works, but you have to do one number at a time and it's basically quicker just to do it manually.
  • joe_ojoe_o Member Posts: 27
    The volume of any source, including hands-free can be adjusted. The simplest way is to turn the radio volume knob while the source is in use (e.g., while someone is speaking on the phone).

Joe
    Yeah, I know--if I didn't have that much know-how I probably couldn't get my car started with the push button. The problem is that at top volume the hands free isn't loud enough.
  • carfan6carfan6 Member Posts: 4
    Any instructions on how to transfer my Phone book from Blackberry to M35X Bluetooth?
  • alcohenalcohen Member Posts: 10
    Just synced a Blackberry 7520 (Nextel). It won't tranfer phone book contacts. Maybe other models will but it will only transfer one at a time if it is capable of transferring.
  • jimbroutmanjimbroutman Member Posts: 6
    does anyone else have a problem with background noise on their phone when talking on the speaker/handsfree..if i am travelling fast or on the highway everyonje tells me it is echoing on their end and/or that it sounds like i am underwater they sound fine coming through the speakers on my end but i get a lot of complaints...my dealer heard how bad it sounds and replaced the mic. problem still exists and they have pretty much given up...any advice? i've tried everything including changing the mic level to low in the diagnostic settings...
  • tmitchtmitch Member Posts: 14
    OK! I know many of you are tired of hearing about bluetooth questions, but you'll have to get over it one more time. I've owned my M35 for over 6 months now and have not used the bluetooth function yet because I didn't know what type of phone to get. I'm locked into a Sprint contract and I want to get two Treo 650's for my wife and I. Will this phone work? The Infiniti site does not list it, but I've heard a few M owners have tried it. In fact, I've heard some say yes and some say no. If anyone has expertise on this, please tell me what type of phone is the best to get that features a PDA. If I have to leave sprint, I will. I just dont have the patience to be fooling with different phones. Thanks!
    As of early this summer, I was unable to get the Treo 650 (Verizon) to couple with my M. However, someone did post success with the Treo but a different carrier. Hope he/she is still on this site.

Bart :shades: