Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sfjsfj Member Posts: 1
    I purchased an 08 Versan SL in the central valley. I was out the door with a little more that $17K (that was with a $500 college grad and some more haggling to get it down). It is loaded except for sunrooof (intellegent key, bluetooth, 6 CD, etc). Don't know what the prices are here in SF but the good deals are out there.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a large newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who traded-in a larger vehicle for a small compact car to save money on gas, but spent money on options to get something more comfortable and appealing. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than July 9, 2008.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Edmunds.com
    Corporate Communications

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    not a bad Price that you got on that 2008 virsa hatch back. I no there are good deals to be had but I think the suply of 08's is real lo and anyway the 2009's are out mor options look at the differances from the 2008 and 2009 not menny used ones also hot selling car this Nissan virsa keep on posting the prices payed on your virsa's grate cars love them thankyou for reading.
  • g35johng35john Member Posts: 12
    Back in March of this year I was able to buy a loaded Versa SL hatchback for about $4000 off of MSRP. That works out to $15600 or $17200 out the door. I would try for that type of deal. I live in the Los Angeles area by the way.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a large national newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a used fuel-efficient car and why they decided to purchase it and whether they were surprised at the costs of the vehicle. If you’re interested in speaking to the reporter, please contact Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than July 9, 2008.
    hey g35john dont think now you will be able to get that grate deal you got any more. Now with the gass prices have gon up dealers will not let them go for that mutch off msrp but who nos if you get moltapal dealer quotes you just never no good luck to everyone keep us updated on the prices beeing payed everyone of virsas. thankyou so mutch for reading my posting.
  • g35johng35john Member Posts: 12
    I think your right. At the time I got my car dealers wouldnt sell them for that much either (except for the one I got, but no other dealer would come close to matching it). I just got lucky and the dealership owners son stuck his foot in is mouth and they were "man enough" to honor the deal he said.
  • milliesmamamilliesmama Member Posts: 3
    My hubby and I just bought a brand new 08 versa, automatic transmission. The past few weeks it's been slow to start. It won't turn over. It's been in and out of the shop and they say everything's fine. But it's not. I was outside of the mall for an hour last night trying to get it start before it finally turned over. Anyone else have problems like this? We are just sick over it. We've only had it for 2 months.
  • cathy8cathy8 Member Posts: 37
    Welcome to the starting problems that some of the Versas have. I thought that this was only an '07 problem but apparently not. Many owners have had their fuel pumps changed and this rectified the problem.

My problem only occurs during the cold winter months and the rest of the year is fine. My starting problem is different that yours though. Mine starts in fail safe mode and won't drive more than 20 KM/HR. Once shut off and restarted it starts fine.

Don't let them tell you everything is okay. You know something is wrong. There are various identified starting problems and Nissan is trying to find out the cause. Document, document, document. Keep lots of detail. I did this and after 2 winters of problems applied for arbitration (Canada) and won. Nissan has been ordered to back my car tomorrow.
    hey did you leav the ignishion on and your bat whent dead when you wher siting in the car in frunt of the Mall. did you have the radiao on. they will find the problem. and cathy they are taking back your virsa tomero sorry you had that problem with it rair so rair with everyone. LIke I have said in the past nor car is problem free no sutch thing has never bin and never will be. DId you get to looking at what car you will be getting to replace your virsa since they are taking it back tomero. keep us updated thanks so mutch for reading.
  • cathy8cathy8 Member Posts: 37
    Marco,

I bought a Toyota Yaris to replace the Versa. It's not nearly as nice as the Versa but hopefully will provide me with reliable transportation for many years.
    Hey my name is Marco I will now try to help you and your Husband out. First off I nead to no is this car the virsa s or Sl. do you have the Keyless Ignishion or do you start your car with a normal kee. is this the Hatchback or car moddle how menny miles are on the car. when you had the car infrunt of the Mall was you or your husband in the car Lissining to the radio wall sitting there with the engian off. Pleas get back to me with the answers will help you the best that I can thankyou so mutch Have a verry good day Marco.
    Hey cathy nice car good car to good luck with it keep us updated on how the car does is it a hatchback. if I can ever help you with any problems with the new car. email me any time at Marcogallo1986@yahoo.com thanks for reading Marco sorry Hoste I no this is not the rite foram.
  • misshmissh Member Posts: 4
    I've just completed a similar deal in northern Virginia. I'm planning to buy the 2009 SL, auto, hatch "fully loaded" with ABS, Convenience, Sunroof, Audio upgrade. The price including destination is $18,300 + 1,152 (process fee, tax, tags). Total came to $19,452 then they subtracted $500 rebate so about $18,952 OTD.

I consider myself pretty educated about the car buying process and have been actively researching for the past three months. I think if I had made a decision to purchase the 2008 SL back when I started (April), I could have gotten a MUCH better deal than what I'm being offered at this time. There are two reasons why...one is that the 2008s are essentially not available...especially if you want particular options, color, etc. so you're forced into getting 2009. The 2009s are also scarce since they are just beginning to arrive at dealers. The scarcity of the product puts the consumer at a disadvantage because the dealers have the upper hand to dictate price. Secondly, the rising price of gas has made the smaller, fuel efficient cars more attractive and thereby in greater demand...dealers know that if you don't buy one for the price they offer, the next person will.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who posts on the car space site, it has been VERY helpful to me!
    Hey nice grate car you will really love it alot not joking sutch a grate car this Nissan virsa. SO when do you pick up the car from the dealer Not a bad price considering the way gas prices are now. what color did you get interior and exterior color. what options did you get. and if you dont mind me asking from what dealer ship. How was the byeing Prosese. Yes you are so rite about all of the dealers noing that gass prices hav rizin and that they no they have the upper hand and if YOu wher to not bye the car the next person will who comes along. Yea You probbly could have gotten a better deal on the 2008 but what can you do it is to late now thankyou for reading My posting.
  • bonniel3bonniel3 Member Posts: 5
    SL Sedan with ABS, Convenience pkg, Splash Guard

$17,000k (with 500 rebate) + 1522 (taxes n fees) = $18,522 OTD

Invoice: $17,089

Is that a good price? Considering it's only been on the market for a little over a month?
  • milliesmamamilliesmama Member Posts: 3
    Thank you,
    It's a versa s, regular key start, hatchback, 2000 miles, and no, nothing was on in the car. We had all been shopping and came back up at the same time. It wouldn't start.
  • crusher99crusher99 Member Posts: 7
    You should be able to get a 2009 Versa (all models) for Dealer Invoice plus Destination minus the rebate. So if the invoice on this model is $17,089 (including Destination), you should be getting a price of $16,589.
    not a bad price I would go for it,. maby you can get 500 or so mor dolers off is it worth it to you the questian now is not a bad price in my appinnian car moddle is nice for sum reason it is raier to find one. I like the care one over the hatch back moddle. let us no what happens good luck thankyou for reading Marco.
    so thankyou so mutch for getting back to me no problem any time just trying to help you out. I no this is not the rite foram host sorry about that anyway. so you have the Hatchback moddle. and it has the normal kee start. Now was thinking could be the chip in the kee is no good. did you try using the spair kee if so did it have the same rezolts. have you gon back to a nother Nissan dealer look up if any recalls or bulitans pleas get back to me thanks so mutch for responding have a verry good day Marco.
  • j_vj_v Member Posts: 3
    Just got one this week, very happy so far. Live in NY, Long Island to be exact. Paid $13,000. Has power package, floor and trunk mats, cruise control, AT, splash guards.
    I bought it for 17k. It wasn't bad considering the other models I was looking into for. No problems yet but I'm hearing all these things about the Versa, is there something I should check out?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a large national newspaper would like to speak with consumers who purchased a small, fuel-efficient vehicle in the past couple of months. If you are new small fuel-efficient vehicle owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Thursday, August 21st.
  • zoomingseattlezoomingseattle Member Posts: 5
    Bought my Versa two days ago from Nissan in Bellevue, WA.

1.8 SL CVT with Convenience, ABS packages + 5-piece mat set + aluminum kick plate.

MSRP on the sticker was $18,165; invoice $17,300. For some reason destination came at $660 instead of $695 quoted on Edmunds and Nissan sites.

Negotiations were tough, but me and my wife were able to bring the price down to $16,600. That's $700 below invoice (without the rebate). With $500 rebate the final price was $16,100. I consider it a very good deal.

Then there were $80 WA business tax, $1551.07 sales tax (9.3%), $50 doc fee, $228 license fee (~$80 of which we should get back). Total OTD price: $18,009.

I was also offered prepaid maintenance plan (Gold 1): 60 months/75,000 miles for $1600 (dealer wanted $1800, but agreed on $1600). Is this a good deal? I haven't bought it yet, but it looks like it's worth it, if one intends to service the car at an official dealer.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Got one for our '05 Mazda 3s but in hind sight...probably would've passed. Best to just follow the owners manual as some of the services were done prematurely. But your plan probably includes more services over a longer time frame.
    Also looking at the Versa SL for one of my kids. Not sure about the Convience Package though but she loves the CVT tranny. Nice car for an entry level model...seats felt much better than the Fit, where i could feel the metal bar in the driver seat cushion. With my spinal problems, the Fit doesn't fit! Daughter also felt it and decided to pass on it. It's now between the Versa and the Accent.

The Sandman :)
    Thanks, Sandman. The plan I was offered includes 30K and 60K major services ($699 each at the dealer), three 15K services ($325 at the dealer), 10 tire rotations ($70), and 20 oil changes ($40). Total of $3873 (way overpriced, of course). Another dealer is ~$3000. Even if I change oil every 7500 miles, that's only $350 savings. Compared with these figures $1600 is a steal.

Of course, servicing at an independent garage will result in different numbers...but I don't believe as low as Edmunds lists.

BTW, we test drove 6 cars, including Fit and Yaris, but narrowed our choice to Versa and Mazda3 i Touring Value. Fit just felt like a blown up toy car, whereas Versa looked like a scaled down big car. In the end, since we negotiated the Versa price to be competitive with Mazda3, I decided on the Versa. I would have chosen the Mazda had I not already own a beautiful 04 Mazda6 to satisfy any cravings for a sport car. :)
  • nsvnsv Member Posts: 4
    I would like to know if any one has bought the 2009 Nissan Versa S with Power package & ABS. Would like to know the car price and out-of-door price of this car. I live in NJ & planning to buy the same.
  • nsvnsv Member Posts: 4
    I got a price quote out of door : $16165 for 2009 nissan versa sedan with power package and ABS. Is this a decent deal or is it off the mark???
    nice price verry good. from what dealer did you get it from I am in in nassaw just looking around now thanks so mutch Marco.
    Should I get the maintenance plan offered by Nissan? I got the 09 versa SL. I forgot what the price is for the maintenance plan but what is a good price?

I was quoted $1600 dollars for a 6 yr/75k miles extended warranty. Is that a good deal? I heard that the longer I wait and the more miles I have on the car, the more expensive the warranty is. I'm not sure how I should approach this.
  • imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    I would say that is TOO MUCH. Call around to other Nissan dealers. I was just quoted $755 for the 60 mo/$75K Nissan Gold Preferred with $50.00 deductible from VOB Nissan in Rockville, MD. I am in Florida and I bought my Quest on 8-16-08. Shop around, also try Keene Nissan in New Hampshire, they have decent warranty prices for Nissan warranties.
    755? Wow! I just received a quote from Nissanextendedwarranty.com and it's 1460 for 60mo/75k miles Gold Preferred.

Can I purchase the extended warranty from another dealership in another state? I'm in NYC.
  • imariquinnimariquinn Member Posts: 96
    Yes, just like buying a car in any state, you can purchase an extended warranty from any Nissan dealer in any state. I am in Florida, but I purchased from the MD dealer. Just google VOB Nissan and ask for Mr. Shelby. Also check with Keene Nissan in New Hampshire and ask for Tara. She also has good rates. They sell the warranties at COST, not the 100% marked up prices we are hearing when we are signing on the dotted lines with F & I.

The warranty is the same one as NissanExtendedWarranty.com just at COST.
    Thanks so much! I'm definitely going to look into it. Will let you know the outcome!
  • mrmistrymrmistry Member Posts: 1
    Hi - Sounds like a great deal. I've been hunting for exactly the same vehicle, the lowest I've been offered is $16,600 plus tax & fees at Campbell Nelson in Edmonds. Would you mind telling me which sales person you went through? I'd like to pull the trigger on a new versa before the weekend. Thanks
    We bought the car from David Holland at Eastside Nissan.

But, to get the best price you need to come in and sign a line saying you will buy a certain car for a certain price. Pick your target price and work your way from there. They need to see the commitment to buy, or they won't bargain with you.

The best email quotes I got were around your price, if not higher.
    marco - got it from nissan of garden city. i bet could get an even lower price if you negotiate well. good luck.
  • yeahcordimyeahcordim Member Posts: 1
    Hi jv, does that include tax, doc fee, etc. or any incentives?
    if not, what would be the grand total that you paid
    this really is a very good deal
    I was at a dealer and they charge around 16k for HB with ABS and Power Pkg,
    and they said that'll be the best deal I can get for the 2009
  • crusher99crusher99 Member Posts: 7
    We were able to get a 2009 Versa SL with CVT,ABS, Splashguards and Mats for $16.039 including Destination and Doc Fee and $500 rebate. This is the total bottom line price before license plates and tax, Also for no extra charge the dealer threw in wheel locks, emergency kit and first aid kit.
    to clarify - grand total was a bit more than $15K OTD due to tax and the other usual fees. but, again, i feel you could get it for lower if you were to negotiate more than i did, i.e. i figure you could get them down to 12K/12.5K before taxes and fees. good luck.

its been three weeks now with my versa and no complaints.
  • lharrisonlharrison Member Posts: 1
    Whew - I'm getting tired looking for the right Versa. It doesn't seem to exist. I want a SL hatchback with beige interior with ABS. I realize that only white, black or blue come with the beige option. My dream car is white with beige. The dealers around me (Vermont) can't find one and there is nothing on the internet within 250 miles from here. I have quotes on the table for 2 that don't have ABS (one in Springfield, MA, one in Newburgh, NY), but now I'm wondering what to do. I'm tempted to end my agony and just get one without ABS. I have to say, in my 40 years of driving I have never had occasion to need ABS! (or seat belts or air bags....) Question: does the "brake assist" (or whatever it is called) that comes with the ABS package make driving more enjoyable? I'm sensitive to a nice braking car (I'm driving a Camry hybrid right now - cruisemobile)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    Brake assist is only going to come into play, if you have a panic stop situation and the ABS is activated... It basically senses a panic stop, and applies full brake pressure more quickly than you might yourself.. It won't affect normal braking.

You may have never needed ABS, but you probably haven't used your airbags, either... When needed, those are both important safety features..

Good luck in your search!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• princetonprinceton Member Posts: 1
    Where did you buy the car from?
    not a bad deal yea you could maby got a bit mor off but not a bad price. That is a grate dealer how did they treat you. we got an altima at that dealer ship few years ago grate car to keep us updated thanks for reading Marco.
  • kyokonjkyokonj Member Posts: 3
    I have an offer for 09 versa sedan with power package 14,227 before tax.
    My question is should i get hatchback style and CVT.
    I heard I can get a better milage for CVT transmission.
    Is it worth for extra money?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    According to the brochure, only the SL model comes with the CVT and not the regular S model. Is this absolutely true? I've seen others posting that they got the S model with the CVT.
    T I A folks.
    The Sandman :)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Unless things have changed recently, the S gets a 6-speed stick standard and 4-speed automatic (regular AT) optional.
    no they have not changed still that way backy thanks for reading marco.
  • mischa00mischa00 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I got a quote for $13,490 (not included tax+doc fee) for 2009 Nissan versa 1.8 S 4dr/ manual, 6-spd with override/Hatchback/ABS package/mats.

tax: $1264
    Doc/title: $318
    down payment: $2000

Is this a good deal??

Thank you for your help..
    that sounds like a grate price to me since you are getting quite a bit with this car what state are you byeing from keep us updated thanks for reading Marco.