Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• Options
    gbhopper2gbhopper2 Member Posts: 25
    29# Front and 32# Rear . Check them when the tire is cold. I would be interested to know what yours were delivered with. No charge on the nav. I agree the 470 is a awesome SUV.
  • Options
    ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    as posted previously... the nav system has no fees or charges, unless you opt to replace the nav dvd when an update becomes available. nav dvd's are typically very expensive and may require some labor to swap discs.

almost all '03's are being delivered with lexus link. this is a rebranded GM onstar product. i believe that the basic service is included for one year. currently, the charge is about $200 annually for service plus another $200 for the "premium" service (includes route assist and concierge services and some other features).

as for having a long climb out of/into the lx470... why not get in the habit of the toggling the AHC button down to its "low" setting, just before you park it? fyi- it won't work if the e-brake is on, and it won't work if a door is opened.

as for the 18"ers... i have the 16's on mine, and feel that the ride is quite good. lots of sidewall with the 70 series tires. the 275/60-18 and the earlier 275/70-16 are interchangeable, as the difference in rolling circumference is approx. 0.5%, or about 0.3MPH at 60MPH.

fundamentally speaking, a tire with less sidewall should ride more harshly, however the composition of the tires in question can be equally important. i believe that most, if not all, of the 16's were Michelin LTX M/S. don't know what the 18's are...

IMO the contributing biggest factor for ride degradation is the potential that the 18" tire/wheel combo most likely weighs several pounds more than the 16" combo. and while an increase of a few, maybe 4 or 5, pounds for each wheel doesn't sounds like much... that unsprung weight can easily cause the ride to "feel" different, not to mention a shorter life for the suspension components.

just my thoughts,
    ace
  • Options
    corine1corine1 Member Posts: 14
    Thank you for your responses, they were really informative. Also, I changed the comfort/sport lever to comfort and the ride is much better. It changes the suspension a little. I had it over on sport which made it much harsher. I'm just going to stick with the tires that came with the car for now because it's better than it was and no need to spend more money......I've blown it for the next ten years! :) I will let you know what the tire pressure is when it was delivered. Also, my brother said that the odometer and speedometer would both have to be recalibrated for the 16" wheels and tires because your speed wouldn't be accurate and you would be putting more mileage on the 16's since it has to turn more than the 18's for each mile, thus..adding extra miles to the vehicle (which you certainly don't want in a lease) did that make sense??
  • Options
    i completely forgot about the AVS comfort..sport settings. it really does make a big difference.

as i mentioned earlier... the rolling circumference between the 16" and 18" tires is only 0.5%. no gauge recalibration necessary.

please tell me that you didn't enter into a 10 year lease!

ace
  • Options
    9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    ...wheels and tires at proper inflation. Maybe I need a gauge recalibration
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    the rolling circumference between the 16" and 18" tires is only 0.5%. no gauge recalibration necessary.

How did you figure that? I get 12.5%

tidester, host
  • Options
    to determine the circumference of the two wheel/tire combos...

keeping in mind that the tire sizes are different. the 16's are 275/70-16 and the 18's are 275/60-16. the radius of the 18's have 27.5mm ((70[aspect ratio]-60[aspect ratio])*275) less sidewall, which almost exactly offsets the 1" (25.4mm) of additional rim.

three methods: (1) the easiest, go to a website that has a tire conversion calulator... in my case, i use the one on miata.net, (2) the least practical, run a tape around each of tires, assuming consistent inflation and tread depth, or (3) you could do the geometry.

94117... your odo and/or speedo is reading 3%slow. i read a good article in a popular car mag that demonstrates that this is not typically the case when a vehicle comes from the manufacturer, for a number of reasons, so it suprises me to hear about a slow reading. a question: did you determine the error by using the time at set speed over known distance method, or did you get it checked out by a laser/radar gun? 3% is less than 2mph at 60, so it's not gooing to get you in trouble, but considering that your vehicle is a mucho $$ lexus, and it's under warranty, you might want to get it checked out.

ace
  • Options
    carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    Must I disengage overdrive or risk breaking/prematurely wearing out my transmission when I tow my ski boat?
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Since I love the LX470 and likely will stay with it in a year when my lease is up I'm concerned about the ride. As you said the old model rides smooth and serene and I want it to stay that way. When you felt the harsher ride were you in the comfort or sport mode? I'm going to test drive it when I'm back in for service.

My truck is noticably more harsh in sport mode and like an LS400 in comfort setting. I like the way the 18" tires fill out the truck but I'd rather have the great ride than the looks of the 18" tires.

This is the best SUV on the road as far as I'm concerned. My neighbors just got the new Range Rover (problems already after a month) and though it is upgraded substantially it does'nt ride like an LX. Another friend has an H2 and its much harsher than the LX or RR.

Corine - best of luck. Definitely lower the truck the two inches after you park. Its sounds like nothing but what a difference it makes getting in and out.
  • Options
    I'm going to try to remember to lower it every time. Yes, it does make a big difference. By the time I remember, I've turned off the car and opened the door and by then I just jump! I need to get in the habit....and changing the lever from sport to comfort made all the difference in the world. I love this SUV, it's so much better than the lousy Mercedes SUV that I lost a ton of money on. That car was the biggest joke of all. It's only a wannabe Mercedes. They need lots of help over there IMO.....but hey, if you wanted to make a milkshake just leave the ingredients in the back seat and you'd have one in about 10 minutes! The ROUGHEST ride ever! YUCK...
  • Options
    ...as well so I was surpised to see off so much the "wrong" way. Up in Big Sky country I had nothing better to do than to look at my GPS. THe GPS unit's uncanny precision leads me to believe it's accurate.

Maybe it'll be worth a couple hundred more at trade in time.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "the LX 470 continues to provide a high level of luxury for up to eight passengers"

Road Test Follow-Up: 2003 Lexus LX 470

Steve, Host

• Options
    The LX is def. bigger but maybe the GX is packaged differently. Rear seat legroom might be better in the GX and overall headroom is better as well. Everything else favors the LX. Maybe they were talking about how it seems to them.

http://www.carsdirect.com/researchcenter/research_compare?acodes=USB30LES091A0,USB30LES071A0&modelIds=430,141

• Options
    brightnessbrightness Member Posts: 40
    What's the difference between 2000 and 2001 model year? Espeically with regard to the ATRAC system. The Lexus website seems to consider 2001 model year offroad ATRAc as new feature, but I thought ATRAC was introduced in the 2000 model year; what gives?
  • Options
    For 2000, Lexus has added Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) with Brake Assist and a traction control system (TRAC) to the LX470. The VSC detects wheel slippage in any conditions, and uses the brakes to keep the truck going in the direction it's pointed. The Brake Assist system is available in other Toyota and Lexus vehicles, and gives an extra boost to the brakes during emergency applications. It may seem redundant to have VSC and traction control, but TRAC goes beyond the brake applications of VSC, using the throttle as well. The result is similar to the effect that a limited-slip differential would provide. TRAC and VSC also work together to make the LX470 easy to control when the going gets slick, which will be much appreciated on many a snowy ski lodge slope.

What's New for 2001
    The LX 470 finally adds the all-important optional DVD-based navigation system (and if you turn down the nav, you get a compass on the rearview mirror). The optional Nakamichi audio system is gone in favor of an optional nine-speaker Mark Levinson system. The standard audio system is enhanced with an Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL). Last year's optional wood and leather trim on the steering wheel and shift knob is now a standard feature. New security features include a key card immobilizer and a free-wheel key cylinder that prevents people from opening the door with anything other than the LX 470 key. Second-row passengers will benefit from child seat anchors and improved cupholders in the rear of the center console. The standard alloy wheels have a new surface treatment, and chrome wheels are optional. The fuel cap now has a tether to appease the absent-minded. Two new exterior colors will be offered - Mystic Sea Opalescent and Blue Vapor Metallic.
  • Options
    lexslvr2lexslvr2 Member Posts: 2
    I have the ls400 now and with the addition of my twins this year would like to get a new vehicle. The lx470 doesn't seem to have much more if any cargo space than my sedan unless I"m missing something. In fact, it might be a little less useful space even with the 3rd seat folded up. What am I missing?
  • Options
    The LS 400/430 gives better rear space when considering just the front and rear seat. The advantage of the LX is the third row and that's it. The LS will be more comfortable if just viewing the first two rows. But if you have kids over 6 or 7 they will want to sit in the third row of the LX.

I have both the LX470 and LS430.
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    ljflx, you offer an interesting perspective as an owner of both the LX and LS430. I will be purchasing a new vehicle in 6 months and am considering the LX,LS and Navigator. I have a one year old now (1 car seat) and expect to have another baby (another car seat) within the next two years. I like the idea of getting a used 430 ultralux for much less than a new 470.. BUT won't two car seats be a pain for the LS? Have you (or anyone else out there) had car seat experiences with both the LX and the LS? My current thinking is that the truck would be easier to load the kids in and out of vs. bending down to put them in the car. Also, would a third person (grandma) fit next to the car seats in these vehicles? THANKS!
  • Options
    Is TRAC and "offroad Advance TRAC" the same or different? I know that the traction control system in Tundra is controlled by a 16-bit processor, and the Advance TRAC system in current LandCruiser, 4Runner and Sequoia is controlled by a 32-bit processor. Is there any difference between the TRAC system in 2000 LX470 vs. the one in 2001 model year? Any change in hardware or software? Thanks
  • Options
    Either vehicle will do just fine for the two car seats. The LS430 will be more spacious for a third person to sit in the back next to your two car seats. Getting children out of the car seats is about the same in either vehicle. When they are under two years old the LX470 is better, over two - the LS400/430 works better in my experience. But the differences aren't all that major.

I'd base my decision more on what the physical needs of your driving are and any gas milage requirements you may be looking for. For example do you want the SUV for the snow, heavy hauling or maybe just to load some big items into from the stores (TV's etc). It's amazing how much stuff you can put into the LX470 with the third row folded up and the second row folded down. On the other hand it gets a pretty steady 16mpg vs. 23-24mpg on the LS430. Remember also that the LX470 is large and it's not fun to back out of parking spaces particularly if a car seat partially obstructs your view. If you go that route (or the Navigator) you'll find yourself always looking to park so that you can pull right out rather than back out. You can forget those tight spots near the mall entrances. Lastly my LX470 doesn't have a tether holder whereas the LS430 does.

I can't speak for the Navigator but the LX or LS are at the head of their classes in my opinion so you can't go wrong either way. The LX ride is silky smooth (amazing for a truck of its size) and real quiet - not all that far removed from the LS400. Other than my Denon stereo system at home I've never heard anything better than the Mark Levinson stereo when playing cd's so don't pass that up.
  • Options
    moj1moj1 Member Posts: 11
    I like lx470, but for a +$60K car, disappointed about not having dual climate and in-dash CD player. Does any one think this is a significant factor? the sc430 has both, which i use frequently. otherwise, i may go with TLC, gx470, or even 4runner until the new lx comes out.
  • Options
    They had the six disc in dash cd player when they had the Nakamichi. But when the introduced the nav mated to the Mark Levinson it bumped the in-dash cd player back to the glove box (though that is not the case in the Lexus cars).

moj1 - the climate control is great on the LX. I wouldn't let the lack of either dual controls for air or the missing in-dash cd deter you from an LX. It's a fabulous truck.

Imagine shelling out $85k for an S-class and you still have the cd player in the trunk. The glove box isn't so bad.

By the way the new LX model will be bigger (Sequoia frame) more luxuriou still and more expensive when it comes in as a late 2004 or 2005 model. That's why they are introducing the GX which looks like a run away success already.
  • Options
    TRAC is Toyota's way of saying traction control. In 2001, the LX was marketed with VSC and "TRAC", not "Advance TRAC" as far as I know. You'll never find out about ATRAC because that's a technology for audio compression from Sony (I think).

So, maybe things changed from 2000 to 2001 but I don't it could have been that significant. I thought that all this electronic wizardry might make up for the lack of locking differentials but that's not really true. There are cases where you can get stuck until you lock the central differential.
  • Options
    That's the terminology Toyota uses.
  • Options
    djr7399djr7399 Member Posts: 24
    re:lexslvr2

I actually have the same problem as yourself, have the ls400 and a jgc,(getting rid of jgc) been trying to decide whether to go with the lx470 or gx470, for loading the kids in the jgc somewhat easier, no third row seats but better upright position loading and unloading, kids just jump down they love it, when putting them(3 kids under 8) in the ls400 more room but alot of bending. I'm really thinking about that gx470 with the DVD installed
    a must for kids(I use computer now w/dvd) but have been considering the Ls430, gas mileage no problem, what a decision to make in the next couple of months.

any more suggestions guys?

has anyone driven one yet?

how about you ljflx, driven or seen one yet?

dj
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to take out scratches without damaging the paint? I have a few minor scratches on the backside of my new 03 LX470. It's not in the paint, but rubbing it with a rag doesn't take it out. I have no idea how they got there because it wasn't there when I bought the car. Any information would help...thanks!
  • Options
    Does the 03 LX have a "miles to empty" display? and... Does the Lx have power folding side mirrors? Edmunds says yes but the LX promotional brochure I just received doesn't mention it as a feature. Thanks!
  • Options
    djr7399 - haven't seen the GX anywhere. I thought it was due out this month though. I did have my car in for service last week and asked about it. They said Lexus is bringing just about all of them over with the third row and about 50%of them will have the dvd entertainment system in them. Lexus did one of those parties parading the GX in front of invited guests and the guy told me they sold 25 of them in an hour or so. He also said there are a lot of advance sales and pent-up demand. I assumed that this would hurt the LX but he said they sell as soon as they come in. Lexus/Toyota seems to have this market well researched. The Sequoia is also a run away success.

By the way my dealer said they can put dvd systems into any car or suv if it didn't come over factory installed. Price ranges from $750-$2000 depending on the type of unit desired by the buyer. The dealer also said that Lexus will likely offer factory installed dvd players on the LS and GS in the near future.

Corine - try Zymol - I've found it to be the best wax and it removes minor scratches. If it is a fairly deep scratch try GS27. That's a product that was always advertised on TV (though I haven't seen it recently) in those promo shows with the special offers. I bought it at the mall in one of those TV product stands and found that it did a great job.
  • Options
    It does have " miles to empty " and the mirrors also are power folding.
  • Options
    On my current vehicle('00 Navigator) the "miles to empty" and trip computer is up high on the windshield by the rear view mirror. Where is it on the 470? Is it integrated in the navigation screen? Again, thanks!
  • Options
    lexslvr2lexslvr2 Member Posts: 2
    Someone said that a 3rd person could sit in the back seat with 2 car seats in the ls. This has not proven possible in my ls. I've tried to wedge myself in there to comfort a fussy baby and almost never got out. It is impossible even for a small child to fit in there. I think I need room on the Sequoia level but I'm wondering if I will have trouble going from a Lexus to a Toyota. I have had such a great experience with my ls.
  • Options
    It is on the nav screen
  • Options
    Does anyone know what I can do to keep leather on the driver's seat looking good? I've got a new 03 LX and the seat already looks worn on one side from getting in and out because the vehicle is so high off the ground. This is going to be a major problem if I can't fix it now. Thanks for anyone's help!

corine
  • Options
    my opinion is that the tan leather wears alot faster than the gray. we looked at lots of '99 & 00's and found that the gray interior held up MUCH better. the outboard side of the bottom cushion is going to wear down. it gets wrinkles and will crack if not maintained. i have not yet found a leather care product that i like. i have heard that lexol destroys the stitching. our four month old '02 w/gray interior is showing some slight signs of wear, but i am trying to make of habit of stepping in and out of the seat instead of sliding. lowering the ahc control helps as does carefully using the running boards.

i'm sure that lexus will happily sell you a leather product. whetehr it works or not is another story, though.

good luck.
    ace
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll try to find a product out there that will work. I also have the gray leather and I can't believe it's wrinkled already and only 2 months old. They need to come up with a border on the outside of the seats that is more durable, like the "pleather" on the Mercedes cars. That material holds up under all conditions.
  • Options
    mishtommishtom Member Posts: 2
    Anyone experiencing annonying engine vibration in "drive" at idle (stop-sign, light, traffic, etc...)? Typically, seems to be at 800 RPM. Dealer claims it is normal, but my experience in other Lexus V8s suggest it is unusual. Any input welcome!
    Thx,
    T
  • Options
    tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    I know that they have made recent tweaks on this years model, but has anyone heard anything new on a redesign or what is going to happen with the LX470?
  • Options
    rockymtnhigh1rockymtnhigh1 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2003 lx and notice the towing has decreased from 6500 to 5000. Any idea why? I plan to tow a trailer and would like the extra 1500 lbs. Thanks in advance for you comments.
  • Options
    intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    In my opinion, the limit is due to the integrated hitch in the rear. In contrast, the '03 Land Cruiser (which has a traditional bolt-on hitch) still can tow 6500 lbs.
  • Options
    intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Does an 2002 LX470 have Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (aka EBD)?? From my reading of Toyota literature, it does NOT have it. However, every other Toyota/Lexus SUV have it since at least 2001.

Can anyone confirm this?? Does it have EBD??
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    what about an lx redesign based on the sequoia, since it has more interior space? and present lx long in the tooth for upgrade and looks. any ideo of 04?
  • Options
  • Options
    ...the LX470 is to be replaced with a bigger model and a larger engine (5.4 litre?) in model year 2005.

After the 2003 facelift, I'd be very surprised to see any signif. changes for 2004.

Also, 7 year changovers: 1991 + 7 = 1998. 1998 + 7 = 2005.
  • Options
    bluebeastbluebeast Member Posts: 258
    After spending a hour or so reading through these posts I only read 2 which mentioned what to expect in the real world for gas mileage, - 16mpg. Is this what most of you are getting? This is not the single most important factor for me t consider buying one, but I can't ignore it.
    Ready for a change and the LX470 might be it (currently have a 96 LS400 & 98 GS300).
  • Options
    03 LX 470. Town and mountain 16.9. Highway 19.7
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    if this is the same engine in the sequoia, tundra etc. can you use reg gas?
  • Options
    2001 LX470 - town 16; highway 17-18. But these are NY area highways so there is always stop and go. The truck never varies from these norms for me. Gas must be premium grade.
  • Options
    Sometimes premium isn't available. A knock sensor will automatically adjust things for you but slightly lower power maximum power will result. I've used 85 octane a few times. There are very slight differences between these 4.7 litre engines.
  • Options
    carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    I have a 2000 LX470 whose heated seats turn on, but then turn off automatically a short time later, even though I still want them to stay on. Are they suppose to shut off automatically?
  • Options
    evolvoevolvo Member Posts: 6
    Bought one with 33K miles for $43000. Is this a Good buy? Not Certified. I will have two years of new car warranty.