Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 2007

Comments

• bytor42bytor42 Member Posts: 3
    That's the reason I found this site today. My tire pressure light came on and even after properly inflating the tires it remained on. While reading the owners manual I saw that small blurp about the spare tire having that sensor, too. And to get to the spare the owners manual says to unclasp a buckle at the bottom of the spare tire cover which doesn't exist on mine. I found some other people who said the same thing which made me feel better. So I just ended up prying off the cover and everything was fine. But that spare tire cover is NOT a good design. Seems pretty cheap to me.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    There are different spare tire covers depending on the model. Only the Limited has a clasp at the bottom, because it's two pieces.
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    This question was posted by someone in the 08 forum so I thought I would post it here to see what you folks think, since many of you have had your 07 RAVs nearly a year.

what does an AWD Rav4 do in the following situation:

Stop the car so both left side wheels are on the road, and both right side wheels are on gravel, snow or ice (something loose or slippery).
    Then floor the accelerator.

What happens?

1. engine cuts power and vehicle crawls forward
    2. engine revs, wheels on right spin, vehicle crawls forward or swerves,
    3. engine revs, vehicle accelerates promptly and goes in straight line
    4. your experience/results.

If 3., that is what I saw in both Subaru's I drove recently. Unfortunately , the Subaru line has issues with fuel economy and interior quality, hence the interest in the AWD Rav4.
  • cfreas1cfreas1 Member Posts: 6
    I have just purchased a 2007 RAV4 LTD V6. Over the 100 miles or so that I have driven so far, I have noticed that I seem to feel every imperfection in the road surface. When I stop, I feel several small oscillations that damp out, but it feels as though I am sitting on a bowl of Jello. Am I being overly sensitive coming from driving a Ford Explorer and this just the nature of the RAV4? I dont recall feeling this way when I test drove another RAV4, but it wasn't a long drive.
  • lovembadlovembad Member Posts: 8
    I have this same problem... Now everything works fine because it is not hot anymore. I took my 07 Limited V6 to the dealer and they couldn't find a problem. Needless to say as I was driving back from the dealer the display went blank and the CD continue to play. I am expecting the same problem next summer. I am expecting Toyota to Fix this at no extra cost to its consumers. :mad:
  • docmaasdocmaas Member Posts: 4
    Check your tire pressure. Japan fills them to about 40 psi when they are shipped and the dealers often neglect to reduce the pressure. I had the same problem and about 32psi things were much better.

Mike
    Toyota will fix it at no cost to you - the radio display problem is a known issue with RAV4s built between certain dates and there is an official service bulletin for a replacement radio. Some dealers seem to demand proof of the problem and others don't (mine didn't). If yours wants proof, take a picture the next time it happens or try another dealer.
    Thanks Mike. I checked the tire pressure this morning and all four tires were approximately 28-29 psi. I wonder if this amount of under pressure would cause the "springy" feeling?
  • docmaasdocmaas Member Posts: 4
    I wouldn't think so. It is a bit low though so you might want to bring them up to about 32psi. Other than that I don't have an idea of what it might be.

Do you know about the rav4 forums? http://rav4world.com/forums/index.php

Check over there.

Best,

Mike
  • verdi942verdi942 Member Posts: 304
    Mine came with about 26 lbs; an increase to 32 helped the mpg, but had little effect on the ride, which I find to be too jiggly on all but really smooth roads.
    Jiggly! Thats the feeling! It's as if the seat is on a spring. I don't get the feeling that the rest of the car is moving, just me. Even at a moderate stop, I feel like a bobble head doll for about four bobbles. They are small, but noticeable. And on newly paved roads, I feel a jiggle over every small undulation. It is probably something I just have to get accustomed.
    Yes, we'll both have to get used to the stiff "SUV" type ride. It's not a real SUV, as in, "truck based", but it does fail to damp out small bumps, just like, say, an Explorer. It also uses more gas than a vehicle of its size and weight should, IMHO. Still, I have to say, I like it a lot.
    On my 2007 RAV4 AWD, there are curved pieces of clear plastic glued on both rear doors, in the lower rear corners. Also on the body panels just to the rear of the doors. I only noticed them because of dirt trapped along their edges. Does anyone know what they are? Should I, or the dealer peel them off? Thanks for any help.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Those are there to protect the paint from stone and sand chips from the wheels. They were installed at the factory. Best to leave them on.
    Thanks for the info; although those plastic stick-on protectors are totally cheesy - why couldn't they have simply continued with the very effective "pebble-grain" stuff already sprayed on the rocker panels? GM and Ford do! Speaking of the paint, I'm finding my white Toyota paint to be VERY fragile! Every day I see minor scratches on the hood, doors, etc. There doesn't seem to be much of a protective clearcoat. I'm running out of touch-up paint! Is it just me or my car?
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    just my thoughts and not based on any documentation.
    for many years toyota and quality have been synonymous. ever since toyota has made an attempt to take over the #1 position in auto sales throughout the world, they have been neglecting quality and emphasizing quantity.
    the more the output, the closer you get to the point of diminishing return... i think toyota has reached that point.

after reading the postings on this site and other automobile sites, i have never seen as many complaints about the annoying rattles, cheap paint, unknown engine noises, knocking in the steering column that toyota now has. there are many other complaints, but i think you get the point.

like i said this is just my opinion.
    I share your opinion. This is my first Toyota. I wanted a crossover vehicle of the RAV4's size; the USA competition was much more expensive. I also drive an '04 Buick, and I can tell you that GM has matched Toyota in assembly quality, zero defects and 100% reliability. When it comes to minor bits of content, such as a Driver Info Center, backup sensors, auto door locks and headlights, etc., etc., Toyota is obviously failing to go the extra mile. Add to that such issues as paint durability, space and fuel efficiency, all of which seem to have taken a back seat to keeping the MSRP at some "low" point - things that, for a few $$ would make a BIG difference to me in terms of satisfaction, well, I'm underwhelmed. Buying American looks like the future, IMO.
  • kelntomhkelntomh Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2007 RAV4 4x4 base model with V6. I have noticed that when driving on smooth roads at speeds greater than 50 mph I can feel a vibration through my feet and also in the seat that seems to come and go. Sometimes I can feel it in the steering wheel as well. It is not a major vibration, but it is annoying. I had the car to the dealership twice and they just rebalanced the wheels and rotated the tires, but that did not make any difference. Does anyone else have a vibration issue when driving at faster speeds.

Thanks.
    Yes - some V6 AWD models from MY2006 and part of 2007 have this issue. Ask your dealer about Toyota's service bulletin TC006-07. Dealers will replace the AWD ECU to cure the vibration.
  • getmeanewcargetmeanewcar Member Posts: 26
    The Toyota.com webpage suggests MSRP as $27000 for the RAV4/year:08/V6/2WD/3.5L/black/LIMITED/without Navi. But when I requested a quoto from Online retailers, they call for nearly $30000. Why do the local retailers call for higher price than the MSRP? And what are some effective strategy to have as much discount as possible from the local dealers? Should I get 2007 instead of 2008 for cheaper price? or Wouldn't there be big difference between 07 and 08?
  • karlytrkarlytr Member Posts: 6
    It seems that each dealership adds its own items to the new vehicles, in order to bump up the sticker price (which = greater profits). I just purchased a leftover 4-cyl. 2007 ltd, fully loaded (leather heated seats and all) for $25,600. I think it's possible to get better deals on the '07's, because the dealers are desperate to get rid of them. Mine has the 6-cd changer, is satellite 'ready' and has the bluetooth on the steering wheel. I'm not sure what else the '08's would have. Effective strategies would be to know that Toyota Rav4's for the '07 model year have a 2% dealer holdback, off the base MSRP. Also, know the dealer invoice price (it can be ordered online), or ask the dealer to see it. There is often lots of extra money that is paid to the dealer from the factory, after the sale of the vehicle. I got mine for about $3800 under MSRP (off of $29,467), and over a thousand under dealer invoice. However, I was unrelenting in my approach to negotiating. :) Oh... and NEVER EVER mention you want to trade your current vehicle (if in fact you do), until you negotiate the price on the new vehicle. If they ask you if you plan on trading, just say, "I doubt it," or "I don't know, so let's keep that out of the deal."

Good luck to you!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "..Why do local dealers...."

Who was it that said...

"A sucker is born every minute..."

??

The dealer does that so as to not sell to the suckers at cut-rate prices.
    Who was it that said...

"A sucker is born every minute..."

i believe you're talking about p.t.barnum
  • kelntomhkelntomh Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I am scheduling an appointment right now.
  • julieo1julieo1 Member Posts: 4
    I have just read your question about the MP3 Jack in the RAV4... Can you tell me now since you have had it for a while, have you run into the problem of the power supply to your MP3 causing static/noise sounds thru the speakers? And if so, what was your solution to this problem? Was your dealership of any assistance in this matter?
    My dealership acts like they have never heard of an MP3 player. They did not even know where the MP3 Jack was in my 2007 RAV 4 when I could not find it myself..
    Thanks
    Julie
    That one also might be covered by a service bulletin. Ask your dealer about TSB # AU004-07. Here's the description of the problem that the TSB is meant to address:

Some customers may notice noise in the auxiliary mode of the radio when using an MP3 player or other external audio source connected to the 12V power port of the vehicle. An improved auxiliary port and in-line filter has been developed to improve this condition.
  • julieo1julieo1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for that bit of information. When I called the dealership (parts dept) they acted like this was my problem....i.e. they don't sell MP3 devices and IPods (which is what I have) and that I needed to find the answer to this screeching noise coming from my speakers whenever I use the power supply that plugs into the outlet inside the console instead of just letting my IPod run on its own battery supply. This is the answer I get, despite my RAV4 has less than 5K miles on it.

I will be at the customer service manager's office in the next two days about this problem. thanks again, Happy New Year..
    Julie
  • lovembadlovembad Member Posts: 8
    I have this Grinding Sound coming from my 2007 RAV4. At first I thought this was because the weather is cold the brakes need warming up. This is ongoing now for about 4 days. I took my vehicle in for servicing just over 3 weeks. This is my first New Car so my question to you is, will I be charged if this problem turn out to be a broken Axle or is this covered under the Warranty. Thanks
  • kst1kst1 Member Posts: 22
    I have a 07 2WD 4-cylinder RAV4. On my way back from work, my instrument panel lit up for a couple of seconds. The engine malfunction, VSC, airbag lights stayed on. I shut off the RAV when I reached home and started it but those light stayed on. Called the local Toyota dealer and the service manager said that it could be as simple as a loose gas tank cap. Incidentally I did put in gas this morning. He said that after tightening the cap, the lights will go off after a few trips. Has anyone experienced this before? I might still take the RAV in for them to take a look at.
    My '07 I4 AWD is down about 1 qt. of oil at 3,500 miles; it's due for a change at 5,000. There's been no severe service driving here, just a normal mix of suburb, city and highway runs, some short, some long. I know, the owner's manual says that some oil consumption is normal, and it speaks of as much as 1.1 qts in 600 miles, but they're kidding, right? I mean, this isn't 1950, is it? I'd appreciate any feedback about similar experiences.
    i agree that a quart low in 3500 miles is excessive. are you sure your oil was full when you bought the car? i'd fill it to the line and see if it is lower when you reach the 5000 mile oil change. if it is low, you'll get the usual response, "that's normal".
    you will have to tell them you added 4 quarts in 5000 miles for them to take a look. if it was my car, that is exactly what i would tell them.
    Thanks, 719b. For the record, at delivery, the oil level was at the top of the mark; I've been checking it every couple of weeks; you bet I'll tell them, and if it gets worse, I'll expect a new engine. I know of no other current manufacturer who admits to any oil consumption in a new vehicle. Do the Camry owners using the same motor get the same warning?
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    You guys aren't in touch with reality. Pretty much all manufacturers, including some very expensive makes, will say that something like 1 quart per thousand miles is "acceptible" oil consumption.

Fact is, modern engines actually burn more oil than older engines. Why? Because in an effort to make engines more fuel efficient and wring more power out of the cubic inches available, engineers have cut back on things like extra piston rings that scrub the cylinder walls to retain oil, because they add to the engine friction load and rob horsepower.

So while modern engines are much more powerful for their size than they used to be, one of the tradeoffs is a potential for increased oil consumption.
    Thanks for the reply, sdc2. But, really? Are you saying that you routinely add oil between changes to your bought-new, low mileage car[s]? Every one I know, including myself, buys their cars new; many of those cars are kept well past 100,000 miles, and non of them add oil between changes. I'm sure you're right about modern engine design; they get a whole lot more power out a lot fewer cubes, but, for me, adding oil went out with the used cars I owned in the 70's.
    Well one other point to consider is the longer oil change intervals used now...when I changed oil every 3,000 miles I generally did not need to add any oil between changes. Nowdays I go 5,000 miles, and I do generally end up adding a half a quart or so, generally after 3,000 miles since the last change. So I don't find adding a quart at 3,500 miles to be all that unusual.

Also, I suspect a lot of people don't even check their oil, and don't even know they need some added.
    Boy, sorry, you simply could not be more wrong.

I have always changed my own oil and filter since purchasing my first car, a used 1956 Ford bought at Seattle's Westside Ford in 1961. In those days a loss of one quart in 3000-5000 miles was common. By the time I purchased a new '84 T-bird my concerns of oil use between changes were gone. Today I typically drain about 1/4 to 1/3 of a quart less than what I last put into the engine. That's across a 93 Ford Ranger, a 92 LS400, a 94 Ford AWD Aerostar, an '01 AWD RX300, an '01 E50 based MH, and a '01 911/996 C4.

I suspect that these days you must have something seriously wrong in order to "burn" through a quart of oil in 3000-5000 miles.

And yes, Porsche is one of the marques that will tell you that one quart in 1000 miles is not out of line. But on the other hand my exeriences with four Porsches, a 78 Targa, and 88 Carrera, a '99 C2, and now my current '01 C4, all put the lie to that.
  • bytor42bytor42 Member Posts: 3
    I disagree totally about it being normal for cars to burn oil. I would agree that as engines get older and have a lot of miles on them, they tend to burn oil a little. But it is definitely not normal for a modern car to burn oil right from the start. My 02 Acura RSX with 115,000 still does not require any oil additions between my 5,000 oil changes. My old '96 Subaru started burning oil around 95,000 which was fine and expected.
    If the Toyota is burning oil then IMHO it is one of 2 things:
    1. The engine is defective. Manufacturers cover their butts by saying its normal, but I'd say its definitely not the experience the vast majority of Toyota owners have and therefore is why I say it is not normal.
    2. The vehicle was ran hard right off the lot and not broken in properly.

The only engine in which oil consumption is normal right off the bat is a 2-stroke.
    i don't want to sound sarcastic, but i believe you are the one that isn't in touch with reality.
    a manufacturer may say it's acceptable to add a quart of oil every 3000 miles, but it's not normal. the reason they say it is acceptable is because performance will be the same and the chances are the car will run fine past the 60,000 mile warranty most drive trains now have.
    i'm curious if this is something you just made up, or do you have documentation from a reputable source?
    Hello, bytor42. Interesting real-world info. What, in your opinion, would constitute "run hard off the lot and not broken in properly"?
    I'm not saying all new engines will burn oil. Most don't, but manufacturing tolerances are not going to be perfect every single time, and some do burn a little oil, for reasons I have already stated. Look around the boards for oil burning discussions, it is not as rare as you apparently think.

As far as documentation, no, I have not made a practice of storing such info, but I have read of at least a half-dozen manufacturers that say 1 quart per thousand is "acceptable". Not saying I agree with them, and there can be no doubt that there is a strong element of CYA in those statements, but the fact is an engine can function perfectly in terms of power and fuel efficiency, even while burning a little oil. So where is the defect?

If you are too lazy to check the oil once a month I have no sympathy for you. And to say the engine is "defective" if you have the crushing burden of having to add a $3 quart of oil in 5,000 miles is ridiculous.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Around here, I see the "manufacturer says it's normal" quote usually in the Isuzu Trooper discussions. See paisan, "Isuzu Trooper" #11476, 4 Apr 2007 3:30 am

fwiw, I never have to add oil to my '99 Quest with 121,000 on it, but my '97 Outback with 65k uses a bit of oil now and then. It was a half quart low last week but I may not have topped it off when I changed the oil last (the dipstick in the Outback is difficult to make heads or tails of).

Some other oil consumption posts (found with the Advanced Search tool) involve the Audi A3, Caddy CTS, Nissan Altima and Chevy Impalas (GM's 5.3L).

Doesn't seem to be a very big issue except with Troopers though.
  • kst1kst1 Member Posts: 22
    here's the update-

The service shop did not find anything to pinpoint this- just some computer glitch according to them. Cleared out the codes and said that chance of this happening again is 1 in a million. Well guess what, the check engine/VSC/skid lights have come back on. Will be taking it back to the dealer tomorrow. Anybody have ideas/experience with this??
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    The 07 AWD just had 2,500-mi
    2 things already went wrong:
    The front Pax door cannot be unlocked by remote or by open from inside, while the other 3 doors were OK, during the coldest day in MA. Then suddenly it worked again in the 4th day after happened. My wife already made appointment w/dealer so we sent the car in for checking the suspected liquid drip mark on ground located under between 2 rear wheels. Dealer found 1 of the shock is defective. It's not in stock & has to be ordered and another appointment is scheduled for this week.
  • jonvetjonvet Member Posts: 3
    I see Toyota makes a very nice looking Ft bumper guard ,they call it a nudge bar. Unfortunately they only sell it in Australia and New Zealand, with shipping it's over $700. Anyone know how to get one here or a brand that would look good on a 08 Sport? Thanks, JonVet
  • 04rick04rick Member Posts: 1
    I have a toyota rav4 04' with 123,000 miles on it. The vsc and engine emission lights came on and I took it into a toyota dealer. I was advised to replace the vsc sensor after a diagonostic was run. The vsc sensor has been replaced but after 80 miles the
    emission and vsc lights are back on. What next? Did I get hosed by the dealer with
    the $500.00 dollar replacement of the vsc sensor?
    Your dealer is an idiot..!!

Anytime the engine shows a fault the VSC (& TC) "failure" light will come on by default, it is MEANINGLESS. Fix the engine problem and the VSC fault will clear automatically.

Just as it states in your owners manual.
  • bac2010bac2010 Member Posts: 1
    Our RAV4 is experiencing this exact same problem. I don't know how stepping on the brake in a dry parking lot or when shifting from Drive to Park would activate the downhill assist function. Dealer saw no computer codes when we brought it in and mentioned the problem and they said everything was operating normally. Anyone having this problem?
  • dmcshawdmcshaw Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2008 4WD Limited Rav4. I "stepped-down" from a 2002 Highlander Limited. I really miss the auto-on/off headlight feature and, since I saw the little bubble on the dash, assumed the Rav4 had it also. I am really bummed about it and understand it is offered in the Rav4 in Canada, but not US models. This makes no sense to me. Is there an after-market conversion or can Toyota modify my Rav4 to add the feature since the dummy placeholder is already there?

dmcshaw
    You'll get used to it. Just remember to turn on the headlights whenever you flip your rear view mirror to night mode.
  • dmcshawdmcshaw Member Posts: 2
    Well, actually, I've already swapped out the day/night manual mirror, too! I replaced it with an auto-dimming mirror with a compass and built-in garage door opener buttons. :-) I've added body side moldings and step rails. Now, the only thing left to change would be the stupid lights. Oh, well, I should have stuck with my Highlander. I was spoiled by all the amenities it had, I guess, but decided to down-size a bit to save gas. No big deal, just an annoyance over what I was used to. It just doesn't make sense to me that Toyota would scrimp on that, it's such a small thing. Weird.
This discussion has been closed.