Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• sbpwjmsbpwjm Member Posts: 15
    when you say "fleet manager", do you mean one of the managers at the dealership?
  • sbpwjmsbpwjm Member Posts: 15
    anyone have any recent price quotes? purchases made?

so far i'm leaning towards using mostly internet contact with a dealer...
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I paid $475 under invoice for a base RDX on Jan 9. You should be able to get similar deals at most dealers.
  • arunkvarunkv Member Posts: 1
    I asked Pohanka Acura for a quote on the RDX with the Tech package over the internet and their internet manager quoted me $34,500, and suggested I go down there and finish the transaction immediately since the cars are flying off the lot. Could C_hunter or anyone else let me know where or how he could bring that price down to a more reasonable level? Thx. AV
    Did you do this by submitting a request through their website? If you are on their e-mail list, you will probably get an e-mail at the end of the month with an even better deal. They sent me one at the end of Nov and the end of Dec.

The cars are definitely not flying off the lot. They have 37 Techs at the moment.

I would e-mail him back and name the price you want (within reason) and tell him you are ready to buy immediately if they meet that price. You can probably go down to $33960 (invoice) on a Tech, perhaps a little lower. I bought a base model and am not as "tuned" to the market for Techs. They seem to get less discounting than base models though.

Good luck!
  • gandrewsgandrews Member Posts: 2
    I cannot say enough positive things regarding my experience purchasing a new RDX from INSKIP ACURA of RI. I only needed to make one trip there - and it was more than worth the extra 80 miles round trip for me. They have a modern dealership building and very good inventory - for a purchaser at least. Their internet sales manager is a terrific guy and excellent to deal with. A straight-shooter, very helpful and accommodating. I finalized a deal there in person yesterday and RDX is being delivered to me tomorrow.

I did not get into pressuring and playing off dealers to any great extent, nor try to get well below invoice, cutting into the dealer holdback as some get lucky with at certain dealers. But you should find an excellent buying experience and find them willing to work with dealer invoice pricing to you. If you are from MA, they will register in MA for you as well.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Dealer's internet quote opening offer for a Carbon Bronze RDX with black leather (Tech or non-tech) is $900 over invoice.

A good deal or all wet?
    Depends on your market I suppose, but that would not be a great deal here. I paid $475 under invoice myself.
  • stathisstathis Member Posts: 32
    Just paid $32.6K for my '07 RDX Base. This reflects a $1K below MSRP. I referened the holdback that others have mentioned in this forum: Thank you!

Holdback is relative to the invoice cost, not MSRP. MSRP is $33665, invoice is $30774, and invoice - holdback would be about $29764.

I went partially into the holdback on my recent purchase: paid $30300, $475 under invoice (or $3365 under MSRP).

MSRP and invoice price info is available here on Edmunds, as is info on how to calculate the holdback.
  • stathisstathis Member Posts: 32
    Wow! Incredible! Where was that?
    I bought in VA, but folks all over the country are getting similar deals on base and tech models. Generally people seem to be paying invoice +/- $500 or so.
  • tuaarac1tuaarac1 Member Posts: 4
    Dealership in town has added about $1,500 of "dealer add-ons" from pin striping ($199), to body side molding, mud guards, and sealant, which total $1,500!! Is this preposterous? This is the only dealer in town. Any suggestions on how to deal with this rip-off?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,577
    Just make an offer as though those items weren't on there.. All of that together is worth maybe $300.. If you find those items desirable, then possibly increase your offer by that much... Otherwise, just disregard them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tuaarac1tuaarac1 Member Posts: 4
    thanks...according to this forum they are selling around invoice in many parts of the country, but when I go to TMV it shows basically MSRP. Is TMV just not updated? Are the RDX's just not selling? At the local dealership they seem not to be moving at all.
    TMV is an historical average... So, by definition, it will always be a little bit behind.

Here is an article on how Edmunds calculates it: How We Calculate New TMV Prices

If you read back over this discussion, it does seem that actual sales prices are approaching invoice.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

TMV has never been accurate in my experience. It is always way too high. Perhaps TMV includes purchases from general consumers who pay sticker, but typical internet-savvy car buyers get much deeper discounts. I wish TMV was more in tune with internet shoppers.

In the case of the RDX, sales are about 50% below expectations, and dealer inventories are high. Acura is offering a very compelling financing incentive. It's no surprise that huge discounts are the norm for this vehicle -- it's a buyers market.

If you do an internet search and research what people are reporting for RDX discounts on the various forums, you will find that the typical price is invoice to $500 under invoice right now. I would offer to give specific links, but Edmunds does not allow linking to other automotive sites.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    Not to be glib about it, but go to another town. Your dealer will probabaly do their "treatment" to all their incoming RDXs, and from what I've heard, the molding add-ons just do not look right. In my mind, mud guards and pinstripes wouldn't "fit" this vehicle's looks, and the sealant is just BS. So, I'd either ask them to find you an RDX without all the gee-gaws,or take a scenic drive to somehwere with a more scrupulous dealer. The long drive back in your new CLEAN RDX might be quite enjoyable. ;)
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    I would suggest you contact dealers in other areas to see what kind of deal you can get. Work out as many details as possible before you spend time traveling to another dealership. When you contact the other dealers let them know how serious you are about purchasing very soon and you will likely get a much better reaction than your local dealer. After you purchase your RDX from another dealer, take your paperwork to your local dealer and show them the business they missed.
    take your paperwork to your local dealer and show them the business they missed.

Ummm... not if you plan on getting your car serviced there...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tommy3102tommy3102 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed here. I was able to get what I think is a great deal on a 2008 RDX w/TECH.

I am paying 34200 (inc. dest. charge) for a Blue/Taupe w/tech. With nothing (not a cent) down I can literally sign and drive either a 60mos 4.9% loan at 713. or a 36 mos 15k/yr lease (20201.40 resid which is 54% of MSRP, and .00189 MF) for 596. I am really leaning towards the lease as it seems to be a very good value for having the option to walk away after 3yrs or pay the resid and buy the car.

Now if I could just find a decent way to figure out how you ceiling mount a dvd player in a leased car I would be truly set.

I am buying the vehicle from Open Road Acura in New Brunswick, NJ. The experience was wonderful so far, and it was all because I went in with all the information in hand.

Thanks,

Tommy
  • sdlstevesdlsteve Member Posts: 11
    When we were living in Birmingham, we only had one acura dealer that wouldn't come off MSRP on the 2001 Acura TL. I negotiated with one dealer in Montgomery and ended up paying a dealer in Gainesville, FL to drive one up (I saved $1500 by doing it that way). Unfortunately, the Montgomery dealer matched the Gainesville offer the day they brough it up which would have saved me an additional $150. You got to ask yourself how much is it worth to travel. Would you drive 2 hours to save $500?
  • psychobrokerpsychobroker Member Posts: 3
    Of course I'd drive 2 hours to save $500...imagine the extended drive back in your new RDX!

As for me, I'm new here and EXTREMELY thankful for everyone's input and great advice. I'm in the market for either a GT/AWD CX-7 or posibly RDX w/ Tech. I've test-driven the former and thoroughly enjoyed it. Based on reviews here and motortrend, I'm sure the RDX will not dissapoint.

After scanning these forums, I see people are getting near invoice, which would be ~$34k range, right? I just received the following "internet quote" from a local dealer in the South Bay (SoCal):

"Dear Christian XXXX:

I have just attempted to contact you regarding the 2007 Acura RDX you inquired about. Unfortunately, I was not able to reach you.

The retail price of 2007 RDX (tech) is $37,165 and your special internet price would be $36,395 (including destination charges) + tax and licence.
    In case you get lower then this, let me know so I can try to either match or beat it. Please let me know how would you like to proceed.

I look forward to speaking with you soon"

$36,395 seems a bit high to me, what does everyone else think?

Thanks in advance!
    Ok, he just came down to $33,795 + tax and licence for an RDX w/ Tech...how does this seem?
    That's a good deal -- about $200 under invoice. I would jump on that. Most Acura dealers charge a $399 processing fee which is not negotiable, so take that into account when evaluating prices. Good luck!
    Thanks c_hunter. I've yet to test-drive it, but hope it exceeds the CX-7.

What kind of lease offers are going around? I've seen $2,995 out of pocket -- that also seems rediculous.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    been quoted 33,900 including destination and $99 processing fee. Seems like a good deal for a RDx w/tech.

Wash DC dealers are a bit more.

Thoughts anyone.
  • rcizmercizme Member Posts: 16
    That's a good deal .. take it.
    very good deal.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any recent experience with Tech and non-Tech RDX purchases in Central Ohio?
  • hatteras1hatteras1 Member Posts: 8
    Where in Va did you purchase? I'm looking @ Radley in Arlington for my RDX base......any help would be great....
  • kevingriffiekevingriffie Member Posts: 1
    What Baltimore dealer gave you that price?
  • jchiujchiu Member Posts: 10
    Would you please give us the name of the dealer?
    I bought from Priority in Chesapeake. You might want to talk with the internet dept at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly. They had excellent prices when I was shopping around -- generally invoice or lower.
  • 02z7102z71 Member Posts: 4
    what type of prices for an RDX w/ tech in the western MA and Conn.
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    The dealer was Norris (40 West Acura) in Ellicott city

33900 include dest and dealer processing
    I don't think you are correct in telling the other people that their deals are unrealistic or that they are bottom feeders -- on another Acura forum I frequent, the going rate is typically $300-500 under invoice for base and tech RDX models right now. There are a lot more people on that forum, so we have more people reporting in with their prices compared to here. I paid $475 under invoice myself back in January, which was right in the range most other buyers have been paying. The discounts will likely keep getting better unless sales pick up in a big way.

Don't give out bad advice or call people names just because you paid more; it's not cool. If you were happy with your price, and other people are happy with their price, that's all that matters.
  • hatteras1hatteras1 Member Posts: 8
    I got my RDX base,carbon grey, from Pohanka for invoice last night,great vehicle really wants to run! I moved down from an MDX & I'm very pleased w/the interior space....The sales experience was impeciable.....
    Fair enough, but I got awesome service from my sales guy under invoice; he even delivered the RDX to me while I was selling my old car to CarMax. A good dealership treats all their customers well, and you shouldn't feel the need to pay extra for it. Most RDX buyers are getting good deals and good service.

Most dealers give their sales guys a flat fee for any sale, so they do OK no matter what. A good sales person welcomes any new customers because they build their clientele.

As far as pricing, everyone has their preference. For me, I had a number in mind that made the RDX a good value to me. Above that, there were other vehicles I would consider instead. You have to pay what you think is fair.

I wouldn't consider fair deals to be greed and penny pinching; it's an open market with supply and demand, and educated buyers can decide where they want to fit in. I got a high VIN RDX fresh off the truck for $475 under invoice with minimal haggling and couldn't be happier with the dealer experience. I can't imagine any reason why I would *not* want to take that deal, or why I would volunteer to give them *more* money for the heck of it. It would be greed if I twisted their arm to go lower, but that was not the case.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    "Well the dealership is not profit motivated." Huh? :confuse:

I don't know how a dealership is ever NOT profit motivated in a free market economy. Selling a car is not philanthropy, and neither is buying one.

If you feel that sorry for the salesman, beat him up on price and then just give him 50 bucks out of your own pocket on the side. You'll most likely be ahead in the end that way, to boot.

Put another way, you can tip a pregnant waitress more than a non-pregnant waitress more if that lets you sleep at night. That doesn't mean you should give the restaurant more money for the food.
    It's 2007 and times have changed. Right now, the RDX is selling about 50% below projections, and it's a buyer's market. That has almost nothing to do with the internet. Dealers are practically giving them away in my area, and Acura has been backing sales with ever-sweeter incentives. Going $300-500 under invoice on an RDX is not bragging, it's reality and not at all out of the ordinary for a slow selling vehicle. If you feel better paying more, fine.
  • indytipsindytips Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to figure out what is the best way to get a good offer on the RDX. I have only bough one car before years ago plus I feel people underestimate me because I am a female. So far the only offer I have received is still above invoice and I am serious about buying the RDX. What should I do?
  • flatsflats Member Posts: 44
    There are many theories on how to get the best deal. Check out the article the nice folk at Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/78386/article.html) have for a refresher course.

I like to work with the internet sales, that way I can shop at varies dealerships at once. I do my homework and figure out what price I would pull the trigger on and tell the internet sales rep I am comfortable buying the RDX for $3x,xxx or lower because above that price I have other alternative vehicles I would consider. Be specific about what you want, including color and all options, and when you plan on purchasing. Leave no wiggle room, the price you offer is the final price. If they agree, be prepared to pull out the check book. If they decline, no harm done, at least you know. Just be reasonable with the price for your market, search the forums for help. And if they decline your offer, wait a few days and check your inbox. Odds are they may meet your offer.

I was at my local dealership last weekend and struck up a conversation with one of the sales guys. He threw me a number well above MSRP telling me how it's a new hot car. This was his attempt at hitting me high, scrapping me off the ceiling, and eventually coming down to MRSP to make it appear he was giving me a deal. I politely told him he has over two dozen RDX's in the back lot, one even had a VIN# of 9xx. That particular vehicle has been on the lot since day 1 (they are now shipping with VIN's over 17000 now), so I called his bluff and wished him a nice day. But that was his game, and I didn't want to play. I want to play the game my way.

Good luck, and keep us informed.
  • ccacpccacp Member Posts: 117
    It all depends what area of the country you are in. If you are in the Virginia-MD-NJ area most people are reporting invoice. Out west, CA is also at invoice. It all depends how many dealers you have in your area vying for your business !

Also, consult acurazine.com - Discounts - plenty of people reporting invoice to 500 below invoice for tech and base RDX.
  • 02z7102z71 Member Posts: 4
    I travel throughout the NE area and an looking to get an idea what a RDX with Tech goes for recently in New England. Anybody? Also, I have no close acura dealer, will Honda fix these as well?
  • mjo1mjo1 Member Posts: 16
    I'm about to agree to a 36 month, 12,000 mile lease on an Acura RDX (base model, no tech). $31,612 final cap cost, includes taxes, dest. charge, acquistion fee. $476/month with no money down, includes 6% taxes. All I need to do is pay the first month. This monthly pmt. also includes paying off the remainder of my existing lease ($773 payoff). The money factor is 0.00108 (or 2.59%) with a 57% residual. Sound good?
  • mlb11mlb11 Member Posts: 31
    Your cap cost on the lease thread is higher than the one you list here? But, all in all, this looks pretty good! That is an excellent money factor and I'm assuming its not a Honda lease? If not, make sure you know the turn-in details (acquisition fees, wear & tear info).

For comparison, my 36/15k lease runs $415 with $2k down, but this is including a 7% tax on the entire vehicle price (yeah, I'm from one of those states :mad: ). My cap cost w/o tax was about $30,100 and my MF was .00146. Drive it home, you'll love it!
    Thanks for the reply. The cap cost is actually $32,007 based on my calculations - That's invoice+$300 ($30,942+$300)plus destination ($670) plus what the dealer told me is the non-negotiable acquisition fee ($595). I'm not sure what you mean by a Honda lease. It's the number the dealer gave me. I won't commit to anything until I know the turn-in details.
  • mlb11mlb11 Member Posts: 31
    A honda lease is one that is through Honda financing. They have the reputation of being one of the more lenient when turning in the car (i.e. no acquisition fees, $1500 excessive wear & tear waiver, convenient inspection and turn-in locations). This is my 3rd lease through honda and I am very happy with their service - they also have a nice online access page through owner's link where you can montior your lease details and make e-payments if you want. Friends of mine have gone through Chase and Wells-Fargo before and not had the benefits typically included in Honda financed vehicles.....just check the fine print and I'm sure you'll be fine! Enjoy!
    Thank you. I'm assuming it's Honda Financing,but I'll be sure to ask the dealer, although he did say the acquisition fee is non-negotiable. I don't have to pay a security deposit, though. ..........I just spoke with another dealer. His quote? $528/month. UNBELIEVABLE!