Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura RDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kalamyjoneskalamyjones Member Posts: 3
    On non-tech go to Metro Acura (Philadelphia) and ask for the Internet Sales Manager (you aren't allowed to name names here).

They'll knock off $2500 on what they call an RDX "Premium" package, i.e. the non-tech package. They (like every dealership in this area) have A LOT of them.

I do a normal amount of driving and have yet to see one RDX on the road.

Agree with the previous poster about Montgomeryville Acura, would stay away at all costs.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    You can do even better than that -- I have been seeing offers right at invoice ($30774) on the base models. Most dealers will do this since they are not selling well.
  • roma007roma007 Member Posts: 39
    Plaza Auto Mall in Brooklyn is offering the RDX Tech package at $1000 off MSRP, and $1400 off for the base model. Has anyone done better than that at this dealership?

Seems like prices on both trims are starting to go down. I agree with the previous post that I have yet to see a RDX (any trim) on the street.
  • thunder3danthunder3dan Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased an RDX w/Technology package in northern virginia at $500 over invoice.
  • jrynnjrynn Member Posts: 162
    Just purchased an RDX w/Technology package in northern virginia at $500 over invoice.

And the name of the dealership is ... ?
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Not to pick on you, just a general comment to everyone about gas mileage; I do find the complaints about this vehicle being too heavy completely unfounded. Try to find another luxury sport utility that weighs much less than this does, that comes with all-wheel drive, and has the same power/performance. My cousins former Touareg which literally has less room in the seats than the RDX was almost 1100 lbs more than this and he never averaged more than 11mpg on a V-6 engine that doesn't get the vehicle moving nearly as fast as the RDX. He now has a BMW X3 that has less power, less options and averages about 15mpg.
    I'm not sure what everyone's expectations of a SUV are, but folks, it is going to weigh more than most sedans. Heck the Chrysler 300 sedan weighs as much!
    Anybody that has had an Acura before knows that it just gets better and better with time! Better mileage, more pep, etc.
    Also, at a friends' barbeque about 6 weeks ago, I talked to a guy there that said he has yet to break 20mpg in his Honda Odyssey and he was pretty upset. But when I asked him if he drove agressively, he said no. Well, when my wife and I were leaving the party, we saw him "take off" with his wife and kids from the street and I swear he was accelerating up until 20 feet before the stop sign. Then he glided through and punched it again. That is when I told my wife, "See... that is why he'll never see 20mpg".
    I'm not saying that everyone that gets low mileage drives agressively, but you can't argue with physics too much. If people that have complaints on this forum think 4000 lbs for an SUV is too high, and that they're getting 12mpg without driving agressively, it tends to invite questions about their ability to judge their own driving habits and their understanding of "agressive driving". You can't just keep accelerating into a stop sign or red light and then slamming on the brakes at the last second and expect to get good gas mileage. That is agressive driving folks. That and weaving between cars at high speeds. But the car will do much better in terms of mpg going at a constant speed -- even if the speed is high -- than it will accelerating and braking hard all the time. I can usually spot the people that do it the worst by just looking at their front wheels... if they are dark gray or black with brake dust... aggressive drivers.
    The difference is mainly between the TYPE of gallons used. A U.S. gallon is 3.78 liters, the imperial gallon is something like 4.5 liters... that is why mileage estimates always vary between Canada and the U.S.
    Interesting that some online car prices for the RDX are still MSRP. I used a particular web site to purchase both my car and my wife's car six years ago at a significant discount. However, if it is better to get quotes from a dealer, than that is the route I'll go. Anybody have bad experience buying their vehicle in January/February (in terms of price)? I would be interested in knowing if the dealers give better prices then or not.
    I wouldn't use brake dust as a dependable indicator of driving habits. Some types of brake pads put out more dust than others. One of my cars (Honda S2K) is like this, and it's the gentlest driven of them all with the lowest weekly mileage. It just happens to have very large rotors and grippy pads. Most high performance braking systems are the same way. I can drive my wagon more often, and harder, and not see anywhere near as much brake dust.

Some of the European brands (for instance BMW) are also notorious for brake dust, independent of driving style.
    I spent a lot of time test driving an RDX, and tried (per the trip computer) to get a feel for the vehicle's gas mileage -- the good and the bad. The MPG is definitley dependent on the type of driving. I was seeing 23-25MPG all highway, 18-21MPG mixed, and 14-16MPG all city (not driving agressively in any scenario, by the way, since I was interested in a fair assesment). Unfortunately, people who do all city driving are going to fall into the 14-16MPG range, no matter how gently they drive. It's a heavy vehicle with a powerful turbo motor that responds quickly. It doesn't really settle down into good MPG until you reach a cruising speed. So for a lot of stop and go city driving, you never get a chance to let the engine relax. Some engines do better than others in this scenario, but the RDX engine seems to be on the thirsty side.

For the type of driving I do, the RDX gives 18-22MPG which is decent. It's a little bit less than the 20-24MPG I get with my current car (Subaru Outback XT), but the XT does weigh 350+ lbs less than the RDX. The vehicles both have AWD, 5-spd auto, and high-power turbo-4 engines. I am sure the RDX would be a bit better on gas if it weighed less too.

Given that the vehicles are similar in size (RDX has more passenger space but OB XT has more cargo space) I am disappointed the RDX weighs in 350+ lbs heavier. All crossover SUVs are on the porky side these days, and seem to have inherited more from their SUV siblings than their car siblings.
  • yangdariyangdari Member Posts: 20
    I waited six months for the RDX to come out and was going to get one asap. However I was disappointed in the vehicle when I saw the gas milage. I am now buying a Honda CRV (27 mpg and same platform as RDX). I also seriously looked at the RAV V6 (great power and V6 @ 25 mpg). I think there is no good excuse for the RDX to be such a gas guzzler. It would sell a lot better if Acura had optimized the car's mpg rather than performance.
    Yeah, I can certainly understand your decision. Right now it looks like we may go for the RDX and spring for a CRV in 3 years to replace the other car. However, I can't help but feel a little disappointed in the mileage myself. It is a little depressing to see that the MDX gets about the same mileage and weighs 600 lbs more. But the luxury features and amenities in the RDX are just unbeatable for the price. The manual passenger seat is a surprise and certainly giving up memory seats (which were standared in my 2001 CL-S) is a little frustrating. But the other features are certainly appreciated. The main thing is that it fits me and I'm 6'5" tall and the Acura seats are nothing short of the best in the industry. I have never sat in seats that are as good a mix of comfort, support, and fit. The CRV is very tempting as it is considerably less, has more trunk room, and has most of the necessary features. However, it and the RAV are way short of their luxury siblings in terms of the interior cabin. Not to say that they are bad, but you definitely know the difference!
    Still anybody that can average anything around 18mpg on this vehicle will be doing quite well. I average about 25mpg on the CL-S and my wife averages about 23mpg on her V6 Accord. So, for the difference in weight and performance, that isn't an unexpected trade-off. I'm still puzzled how some people are only getting 13mpg or less and saying that they don't drive agressively. I just have trouble believing the driving habits part of it. Anyhow, I would hope more people have better experiences with their gas mileage as this is simply a fantastic vehicle in almost every other respect.
  • natenj1971natenj1971 Member Posts: 174
    My dad has a loaner RDX at the moment. I drove it around today for about 30 minutes. I LOVE THIS CAR! It has the tech package. The back up camera is pretty cool. Over all I was really impressed with the RDX and I'm surprised so few are on the road. The seating position - I was more comfortable in the drivers seat then I have been in any other car.
    One thing my dad mentioned and I noticed too, ya feel every imperfection in the road. To describe it, it was like walking over a bridge made of rope, constantly shaking. Maybe the tires were just over inflated? Seriously, I felt every bump in the road so much worse then when I drive my honda accord.

He's getting 20 mpg in suburban driving (that's hudson valley NY suburban setting so a few lights but mostly cruising 30 - 65mph).
    The ride is rather stiff, to the point that the vehicle bobs a lot. I think that could be improved without hurting handling too much. Many, many people notice that characteristic, and I think it scares some shoppers off. I don't mind a stiff ride in my S2000 (which also bobs) but it may be too much for an SUV.
    There's only a couple so take your pick. Just letting you know that deals can be made. I had no trade-in and came in with my own financing.
  • izmirianizmirian Member Posts: 49
    thunder3dan,

I'm in NoVa as well and couldn't get prices anywhere near above 500 invoice. Can you tell me where you got that from.
    Appreciate it in advance.
    Wow, well, it certainly doesn't ride like a Buick or something soft and cushy, but I would not characterize the ride as "stiff". Just test drive an X3, and you'll see what a stiff ride really means. I thought the RDX was a pretty good balance in terms of performance and soft ride. The X3 is much more stiff of a ride. Even the CR-V wasn't much cushier than the RDX...
  • tcp1997tcp1997 Member Posts: 5
    I received two internet quotes for a RDX with Technology package. One dealer offers $35800+tax+DMV fees and the dealer offers $35500+tax+DMV fee. Please let me know what you think about the offers?
    Pohanka Acura in Chantilly ask for Travis.
  • pvsurferpvsurfer Member Posts: 50
    Based on my one and only attempt (in So Cal), that's way too much.

I've got a price of $34740 on an RDX w/TP from my local Acura dealer and I'm pretty sure I can do even better after Xmas!
  • jaychojaycho Member Posts: 3
    In New Jersey a dealer offered Black-Taupe RDX w/o Tech package for $31,600 plus tax and motor vehicle. I think i can make it down to invoice price :D after Christmas like other says
  • panchratanpanchratan Member Posts: 1
    I went to my Acura dealer today and got a price of 39,500 which includes roof rack, running boards, body shield, pin stripes, mud guards. I felt like being ripped off. In addition, theres is a charge of $399 for appearance package which is the fees charged to strip the plastic wrapped around the leather of the new car, $499 DOC fees. What do you guys think?

Memphis
    People are now getting the tech model for invoice -- about $33960.
    Where are people getting the RDX with Tech Pkg for invoice? :confuse:

The very best deal I've been able to find this past week in the Los Angeles area is $500 over invoice, although I suspect it will get better in the coming weeks!
    Check out some of the Acura/RDX web forums for discounts and buying experiences.
    I've done that, but apparently I haven't visited the same forum you have, so how about pointing me to it?
    They don't let us post links to other forums here (if I did the post would be deleted and I would get a nasty-gram). Let's just say the website name sort of rhymes with "magazine".
    In New Jersey a dealer offered Black-Taupe RDX w/o Tech package for $31,600 plus tax and motor vehicle. I think i can make it down to invoice price :D after Christmas like other says

Where in NJ, which dealer????
    Yeah, I finally located it this morning after my cup of java.

Thanks!
    Would anyone know if Acura dealers would accept my American Express card in partial payment (up to my credit limit) on an RDX purchase?

...and before anyone asks why I would want to pay high credit card interest, I don't and won't... It's just a means to float a large chunk of change for 30-days at no interest. ;)
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    I did that at my Mazda dealership, but they weren't too happy about it. I believe merchants pay a fee for the privelege of charging to credit cards, that could be one of the issues.

I know my local VW dealer will allow up to $5,000 on a credit card, but at Mazda I really had to tell them my purchase of the CX-7 was contingent on letting me put the down payment on my card. Like you, I paid it off within the month.

So, neither of those case are Acura dealers, but hopefully it will work out for you.
  • jaychojaycho Member Posts: 3
    it was rochelle park, park avenue acura. i'm sure i can cut it down to $ 31,000. i'm buying the RDX this weekend
    i will post the final price
    it was rochelle park, park avenue acura. i'm sure i can cut it down to $ 31,000. i'm buying the RDX this weekend
    i will post the final price

Awesome. They are five minutes from where I live. Thanks.
  • jayctjayct Member Posts: 16
    I got an RDX Base for $200 under invoice here in CT. If I wanted to go to RI I could have got it to $500 under. With the great financing (4.9%), it was a deal too good to pass up. we were considering a CRV, but for a little bit more we are driving a great vehicle. Jay
  • did1did1 Member Posts: 2
    Tomorrow I am purchasing an RDX with Tech for $100 under invoice. I got the deal from an Acura dealer in Libertyville, IL.

I sent out a request for bids to all the chicagoland Acura dealers. Most played the "come on in and let's talk" game. Sorry, homey don't play that.

I imagine you can get much more than $100 under. These things are piling up on the lots. Pauly Acura in Highland Park, IL told me they had 4 RDX's. I checked the lot and they must of had at least 30 in the wrappers lined up rotting on the storage lot.

Be ruthless!
  • hermbohermbo Member Posts: 7
    I've seen a couple of different invoice prices. Am I assuming correctly that people use the Edmunds 33,290 when referring to invoice?
    30774 for base (includes destination)

33960 for tech (includes destination)
  • bijansbijans Member Posts: 5
    $33,200 with Tech package.

Did it all on the internet. Dealers are ready to make deals on these cars in this area - piling up on the lots.

$33,200 before taxes, tags. Got the 4.9% financing as well.

Dealer made $260 profit on the car
    Invoice: $33290
    LESS Holdback: $998
    Dealers Cost: $32291
    Destination: $670
    Sub-total $32,961 - this would be a "no profit deal"

What I paid: $33,220
    Dealer profit: $260

I'm happy. Car is great so far.Shop around folks - people are willing to do deals - at least in the Bay Area...this car isn't selling.
  • cadreamncadreamn Member Posts: 56
    How did you know about the Holdback amount? - is there a place where such information is regularly posted? I was wondering why dealers were willing to sell under invoice. Are there any other reasons or incentives that would lead to such willingness, in general?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The dealers are willing because RDX sales are terrible, and they have a lot of cars sitting on the lots. I am seeing $600-700 under invoice in Virginia with little haggling.
  • hermbohermbo Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking in DC area. Where have you seen that? Thanks.
    Try Pohanka in Chantilly -- ask for an internet quote.
  • minoteminote Member Posts: 13
    If you would, please let me know how much you paid out the door price (included tax, title, license). I'm trying to get a good price here in SoCal and dealers have not offered me a good price yet and I just want a base one. Would you think $32.5K offer for an out the door price with back up sensor + splash guard is a good offer? Thanks in advance. :confuse:
  • minoteminote Member Posts: 13
    Hi, please let me know how you did with the offer.
    I am also trying to get a good deal in So Cal with only the base package but they sent me an offer for OTD for $36K.
    I think it's ridiculous. Thanks.
  • bijansbijans Member Posts: 5
    dont have the exact #s in front

-tax was 8.25%
    -tags were about $200
    -$45 doc prep fee

that's it
  • keithlcakeithlca Member Posts: 13
    My brother brought a base model from Serramonte Acura last week for $33600 out the door. This is roughly about $200 below invoice.
  • jeffbreckerjeffbrecker Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Hi Bob,

Would you be able to send me any (or all) information you had for the Acura RDX prices you had emailed to you for dealers in the Chicagoland area. We are looking to purchase it by the January 2nd date. Please email to [Email removed]
    Thanks so much.
    Jeff
  • did1did1 Member Posts: 2
    Jeff,

Wow, you want all my hard work handed over :)

Here's what you need to know.

RDX with Tech
    List Price $38,125.00 (includes destination)

What You Should Pay

Invoice $33,290.00
    Less Holdback -998.00
    Destination $670.00

Dealer Actual Cost for an RDX with Tech = $32,962.00

Now if you can get it for as little over this cost as possible you win. What's a fair profit? $50.00, $100.00, $500.00?

Then add tax, title, license. Good luck!

P.S. Only deal with the Fleet Managers.
  • mftmrtmftmrt Member Posts: 17
    I was just quoted for RDX with tech for 36 mo / 10k miles: .00146 & 56%. Is that the actual Honda Finance rate is dealing inflating it?