Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• I started on my future classic 12 months ago, I wasn't that serious then, so I bought a Wrangler X hardtop. It now has 6900 miles and now is only driven 200 to 300 weekend miles a month. I plan to resume its daily driver role in about 4 years. If I knew I was going to do this I would have bought a Rubicon. I kept the X stock , except for Bridgestone Revos at 30 x 9.50 X 15. The soccer mom wrangler, I heard will be a short wheelbase version of the gladiator concept. It would be longer, wider and more expensive with a 4 or 5 star side impact rating,available with 4 doors and no more inline 6. Now here is the downside the entry level jeep would not be an SE or X model, it would be a Liberty based IFS called the Patriot or Scout?. Good idea to buy a wrangler now, and really enjoy , about a year from now, when it would be out of production.
  • With DC gearing up to produce SWB 2dr. and LWB 4 dr. wranglers that are wider and longer, is it a coincidence that they would be the same size as the Land Rover Defenders! These makes the new wranglers not only off-roaders , but also special applications vehicles. Kind of makes sense on how DC would like to compete with Land Rover in markets outside the U.S. The gladiator concept, which is most probably the new wrangler does have solid axles and diesels.
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    You guys have really negative attitudes.

Also, no offense, but there's no such thing as "IFS all around".

You saw the Gladiator. There goes your Wrangler...almost. Use your imagination to figure out the real thing. What's wrong with better safety ratings? Your US Gov't is requiring it, so ... no blaming DCX for that one.
  • There is nothing negative with a new wrangler being much different. From all the little news on Mikes, Toledo Blade etc. The new wrangler will still have solid axles, it would lose the old tub body etc. for safety like side impact, the Feds are pretty pro business, its the Insurance industry that driving these new standards, and consumers too. When I bought my 04 TJ I later found out that the new one was not as doomsday radical as some had said no 4 wheel independent etc. We would lose the inline 6 . This would finally bring closure to the tub body design after over 60 years.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I'd really hate to see the tub body go away. However, it would be nice to get better gas mileage (I would guess whatever replaces the I6 will be more fuel efficient), and have a more stable vehicle in the wind - something that the current body style doesn't allow (well, the longer wheelbase Unlimited is MUCH more stable).

I'm not that crazy about the Gladiator, but I'm also willing to wait and see what they actually put out there.
  • dwrestledwrestle Posts: 72
    make a 4 door Wrangler, the Unlimited is long enough to slap an extra door on it(I wonder if they would make them half doors), they could make it a suicide door and it would look pretty much the same except it would have a hinge.

I really don't think the Wrangler will change much. The look of the Wrangler is just Jeep. If I mention my Cherokee as just "my jeep" and the person doesn't know what I drive, they automatically assume it's a CJ or Wrangler.

The Wrangler is just to cool to change MUCH. It's a serious off road vehicle, it is a convertible, the doors come off, it is unisex(men and women can drive and not look out of place no matter how high off the ground it is), and they are just cool as hell.

I really don't want to see a V6 under the hood of the Wrangler. I think the 4.0 does way better in most situations than the 3.7. Besides you can stroke the 4.0 and get awesome power out of it. Hey Jeep should just stroke the 4.0 from the factory!!! Maybe make it more economical somehow maybe lighter, put an aluminum head on it or something like that. Yeah that would be sweet! Also the CRD Diesel would be awesome. Don't even offer a gas 4 cylinder anymore.
  • jeepster4jeepster4 Posts: 53
    A LWB wrangler Rubicon with CRD would be the ultimate outdoors enthusiast's truck...While they're at it, lets to a Scrambler version with the CRD.
    We can dream, can't we?
  • Read on the jeep rumors section on JP magazine that the new wrangler will have a 96 inch wb for the 2 door and a 116 wb for the 4 door, seems kind of too long? More versatile roof panels etc. The new wrangler should pretty much remain the same, except for new door framing that passes the new side impact standards the insurance industry lobbied for. I don't think DCX can continue with the I-6 engine due to it being not use in any other DCX vehicle and the ready availability of the 3.7L V-6.
  • jayp1jayp1 Posts: 2
    I'm not a Wrangler expert, but I wanted to share that two weeks ago I saw a shiny new 4 door soft top Jeep that looked very much like a stretched Wrangler with round head lights. It was well proportioned, so well so that it took a double take to notice the extra doors. I was so curious I followed it up the Tollway to try to snap a pic with my camera/phone. Unfortunately, I topped a hill only to find it stopped on the roadside, where I again saw the 4 door configuration. I did a U turn AGAIN but by the time I got back it was gone. It was dark green w/black soft top. I didn't see a Wrangler badge, but I was definitely a 4 door Wrangler-like Jeep. The doors looked similar to the ones on current Jeeps and the back doors looked almost exactly like the front. Hope I'm not repeating what you already knew...
  • All I know is what I read in jeep magazines etc.
    DCX is usually secretive until about a year before introduction, I used to see them drive around the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum over at Palm Springs in California almost a year before introduction and they were not hiding. We are a little over a year away, so it is close enough , but they are still evasive, that means whatever it is, is not a pre- production version yet. The Magnums I saw were full pre-production back then.
  • With the sales of the Rubicons and other Wranglers still way up, you can bet DC is going to be elusive at this point...especially if they are considering major modifications like engines, front suspensions, and styling. If or when sales start sliding, then they can show a few cards in their hands (enough to scare enthusiasts) and watch sales climb for fear of major changes. Just the thought of making drastic changes is a great marketing ploy that will keep us guessing and buying just in case they weren't bluffing and might actually have a full house in those remaining cards!
  • Also I saw a picture, I think it was motorweek on the next wrangler, it was totally a mule. It had an 05 Wrangler on top a chassis that was way longer. It sort of showed something like 6 inches of extra frame past the body. And enough camouflage of course. So it looks like we won't be seeing any real pre-production jeeps in camouflage till next year. Remember the commander, it cruised around only a couple of months before its New York debut. However I think the next wrangler will definitely be larger, since they have the Compass , patriot small jeeps to market?
  • blepblep Posts: 2
    Just a response to an above message...

the TJ, still has a 4 cyl availible in Canada. as for the I-6, it desperately needs to be replaced. It is at least 25 years old. the V6 would be better for fuel economy while providing almost the same power.

If you want reall fun, go for the Turbo diesel if the make it in the Wrangler/TJ. 295 lbs/ft of torque. Slap on the 4wd and squeel all 4 tires at once!!!
  • nmertznmertz Posts: 27
    All this whining and knashing of teeth at the prospect of the Wrangler getting phased out.....I heard all the same stuff back in the pre-Chrysler years when the CJ got discontinued in favor of the Wrangler. The CJ...now THAT was a Jeep!! Not one of your wanna-be Wranglers. BTW that changeover was fueled by the insurance companies putting pressure on the manufacturer because people kept rolling CJ's over trying to drive them like they were sports cars.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    As I was working out in the gym this morning I saw something on the news about Congress working on a bill that would require all cars to have side impact bags soon (couldn't read the year - the TV was too far away from my bike). That got me thinking about how Jeep could do that with the Wrangler and not have to significantly change the sport bars, doors and tops. Or would there be some exemption that the Wrangler could fall under?
  • boredbored Posts: 300
    mtngal... that's part of the reason why the TK will have to be wider. Can't properly fit side airbags in the current structure.... that's also why the traditional "tub" body will have to leave.

Just what I heard. ;)
  • You are right on target with the insurance companies lobbying for all these new features, imagine, they subject all these new cars with offset front impact, side impact and roll-over crashes every year and have them on Network TV. They just keep on raising the bar every year. Us consumers it is not all our fault, we just buy what they want us to buy. Anyway I still prefer the TJ over a CJ. The TJ is like what a Defender 90 landrover is to an old Series III Land Rover 88. Excellent performance with refinement, but still true to its simple roots. When the wrangler replacement arrives I think it might still be even better.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Many vehicles now have the side airbags integrated into the seat, not necessarily the door. While putting them in the door would be less costly, I am hoping Jeep puts them in the seat so the doors can still come off.

-Paul
  • blepblep Posts: 2
    I have to agree that the doors are probably going to go. I can't imagine governments allowing us to have removable doors anymore.
  • we are not whining we just know that they will screw up a legend! leave our wranglers alone stick with your minivans if you want it change something but leave the jeep wrangler alone what does the insurance companies know or gov. hmmm, if i remember correctly the government back in the 40's wanted the jeep lol.so pick on some other vehicile.oh ya keep making the rubicon it rocks.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    regardless of the doors. Many vehicles now have them in the seat. I am HOPING that is what they do to the new Wrangler.

-Paul
  • Does anyone have any more information on whether Jeep will be building a 2006 model year Wrangler before redesign?

I am finally going to buy a Wrangler but I'm planning to use my 2005 tax return to fund it. That means that I have to wait until Feb or Mar 2006! However, I don't want to miss the current design! I called Jeep directly, the girl who answered seemed to want to help and put me on hold twice for a total of about 10 minutes. But then she came back with a boilerplate response "we do not have any information on future models, we suggest contacting your local dealer."

I'm worried that if I don't suck it up and buy a 2005 model year soon, my only choice is to buy used...or wait for the "new, improved" version. I think that the current design is WONDERFUL and any "improvments" Jeep may make will only degrade it. Plus, I have a '98 Cherokee with an I-6 and want another one... I'm not a fan of V-6s.
  • zinman61zinman61 Posts: 14
    Waiting on your 2005 tax return???

Perhaps you should increase your deductions and bank the savings now instead of letting the government hold your money.
    Just a thought.
  • durability05durability05 Posts: 142
    The 2006 Wrangler is unchanged, compared to the 2005. Expect a 5 percent price hike , and the 2006 are appearing a month early and might end production a a month early and that means you would have a situation of having both the 2006 and the redesigned 2007 in dealers lots side by side. This time they do not expect big rebates in the summer of 2006. Chrysler knows that we bought our Wranglers because of the redesign coming. So I think if you file your 2005 tax early in Feb. next year, you might just get the last few thousand units. Also monitor a website called Mike's totally Free Jeep news, they keep track of Jeep rumors.
  • hdctjhdctj Posts: 5
    That fella that saw a 4dr TJ probably saw one of AEV converison's LWB stretch jobbies:
    http://www.aev-conversions.com/

They're not making them anymore since Jeep's making the Unlimited now.

Overall don't expect too many changes in the Wrangler in 2006. And no Jeep will NEVER EOL the model. The TJ/Wrangler is the sacredest of all automotive branding sacred cows. Expect things like trim level option selection changes (like the factory installed airlockers, Dana 44's front & rear, GPS nav, etc across more models), and the newer V6 that's in the Liberties & GC's, and minimal sheet metal changes.

Methinks alot of the changes will be under the hood and interior part changes to unify stock with the other Jeep models. At least I hope so! My new 05 GC is light years past my 00 TJ in fit and finish. You could just about eat off that Hemi engine compartment its so clean. It would be nice if the rest of the Jeep line picked up that attention to detail in design too.
  • jokerrjokerr Posts: 3
    Don't say that or chrysler will slap one of their overstated HEMis in it. CRD is a good idea though. I just want to keep my removable half doors and soft top.
  • jokerrjokerr Posts: 3
    I don't think we need to worry to much about the Government since when I pass the Congressinal Parking Lots there are an awful lot of Wranglers in the lot. The wranglers are a protected species.
  • calvouscalvous Posts: 1
    Do anybody know about the possibility of full time 4WD (like Quad Trak) for the up-coming Jeep Wrangler?
  • dwpcdwpc Posts: 159
    Toledo Blade Story

The linked article quotes a UAW official affiliated with the Toledo Jeep plant saying that DC is making ready to install CRD diesels in the new 2007 Wrangler model. Now, if they'll just make it legal for CA!! And make it a mid-06 intro!!! I don't get why DC is so tight-lipped about the new TJ model...most car makers are eager to promote their new models well in advance.
  • honkhonk Posts: 1
    Ya'll must be slippin,
    You think that your wrangler needs no change? What? The Wrangler SUCKS only because it needs change. Mostly better gas mileage! So Quit buying em until they give us more bang for our buck! I'd be happy with a ten speed and a 1 liter turbo diesel. "Do stupid people know they're stupid?"
This discussion has been closed.