Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Owner Experiences

13»

Comments

• zxerzxer Member Posts: 1
    Sometimes after I've driven to say a store, I will come back out and my Colorado wont start. The engine turns over fine, but just cranks. After it sits about fifteen minutes or so it starts right up.
    This has happened many times, and sometimes wont happen for a week or so, but the problem always returns eventually.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    zxer,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke to a dealer regarding your concerns? Have you spoke with Customer Assistance? If not, I would recommend speaking with a dealer and starting a case with GM Customer Assistance. Please feel free to email me.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • pondscumpondscum Member Posts: 20
    Same thing cost me $400 for a new module. Known problem, GM wouldnt back it.

Service Dept claimed I was messing with both lock and window control at the same time and "blew out" the module.

yeah, right.
    pondscum,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I would like to see what I can do for you. Have you spoke with GM Customer Assistance? If so, can you please email me your case number? Please include your VIN. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • ronmackronmack Member Posts: 2
    :surprise: In September, 2010 we bought a 2010 gmc canyon crew cab, 5 cyl., 2wd, off road (not 4wd). Stepping down to a smaller truck (from the full size crewcab duramax allison) 3/4 ton 2005 model, brougt quite a bit of gripes on my part due to the size (and me being a big guy). I have had a hard time adjusting to this little truck. However, the gas milage still is near 19 mpg (I hoped for better). However, I have had literally no problems with the truck, now at 21,000 miles. It is easy in and out of traffic, and easy to park. Other than getting in and out of the vehicle being an issue for me, the view to the right rear (at about 45 degree angle) is a little tough due to the high back seats. The only slight issue has been the keyless entry not being as not being as responsive as I would like. I have had to lock the doors from the inside a few times.
  • jons_truckjons_truck Member Posts: 6
    I have been reading all the posts about locks and windows intermittent

I have not had the problem on my Z71 Ext cab colorado

but I had it on a toyota Truck and a Silverado both were moisture problems
    get the door panel off check the weather stripping for area water gets in try to seal it then unplug the switch carefully clean contacts with electronic cleaner
    you can get it at radio shack after cleaning coat the contacts with dielectric
    grease snap every thing back together all should work
    I did not have that problem I took my colorado to the dealer in about
    2 hours got the truck back nothing had to be ordered but it is a large
    chevy GMC dealership
    I have an 04 Z71 extended cab and the only problem has been at 98000 miles
    is was a $3 fix replacing the fuel cap I live in an area high population mountainous and valleys with lakes freeways at times slow to a crawl

but i average around 24 mpg and i like the colorado a lot better than the
    Toyota i had before Heck even Toyota had problems
    sounds like Molle Chevrolet needs to be replaced by a new chevy dealer

a dealers input to service dept reps can be a disaster

have it towed to a GM dealer in another city you should not have any other trouble
    jons_truck,
    Thank you for sharing your experience. Glad things went well at the dealer. Please feel free to email me with any questions comments or concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • rmikolajczykrmikolajczyk Member Posts: 13
    Got a p0014 code , cam shaft sensor. Took sensor out cleaned screens and put back in. No more codes. Have 254,359 miles on it ( 2004 Colorado w/ l5 engine ) and still going strong !!!!!
  • jaesun111jaesun111 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2006 Colorado LS in June from Bob Bell Chevrolet in Bel Air MD. There was only a 30 day warrenty so I had to locate any potential problems quick. The first problem was the lock on the tailgate was jammed. Took 3 separate trips to the dealer before they corrected the condition. On one of my trips to the dealer I started to become more aware of an irregular vibration coming from the front of the truck and mentioned it to the dealer and asked that they check it out. The Service Rep asked if the engine light was on. No. Then he decided to diagnose the problem himself. He said that the vibration I described has occurred with many other Colorado owners and that it was being caused by the truck's computer causing an engine miss trying to keep a lean gas mixture for emission purposes. I believed him and it pissed me off at the same time.

They claimed to have balanced my tires and handed me the keys. On the way home (13 miles away) I realized the vibration was still there, and that kinda reenforced the Rep's diagnosis.

I don't like being shook up everytime I use my truck, so I return it to the service department. My appointment was at 8AM. They didn't look at my truck until 10AM. The head cheese Tom hops into the passenger seat and asked me to take him for a ride. Soon as we were on smooth road he agreed with me that there was a vibration but reiterated Jims diagnosis naming the computer as the probable cullprit. They need time to determine the actual problem so I leave the truck and Tom offers me a shuttle ride home.

After 3 days of no word. I call and speak with Jim. They want to keep the truck longer becuss they're still checkin it out. He offers me a free rental car. I accept and he sends the shuttle to pick me up. After 4 days of running errands in a nisson Sentra they tell me that they located the problem and Jim tells me my charge is $370. I talk to Tom and he eventually waives the charges because I am still within the warranty period. Later that day I pick up the truck and return the rental.

On the way home I realize that the vibration is still there. I'm still getting shook up. The receipted work order showed that they replaced an ignition coil module and 1 spark plug. I also notice that the box labeled "Mileage In/Out" said In: 26,723__ Out 26,723. Leads me to believe that they failed to even test drive the truck.

The following day I call Jim and let him know that whatever they did for the past week did not solve the vibration issue. After checking with the head cheese "Tom", Jim calls back and says I'm welcome to bring the truck back if I want. I decline.

Now I want a second opinion. Talked to a Service Rep at another local Chevy Dealer and explained the issue and Bob Bell's explanation. She said she never heard of the issue or the story I got from Bob Bell. I currently have an appointment for a diagnostic test with dealer #2.

I will post the results of that visit next week.
    Now have over 268,700 miles on Colorado ! Great truck ! Hate to get rid of it, still no problems, just change oil and tires when required. Hope others have gotten as good as a truck as this one. 4x4 extended cab gets 22mpg !
    Had same problem, heater control switch was getting hot, hence the wires attached to it. Coating on wire melting causing smell. Replaced switch, no more problems.
    edited November 2013
    At 274,000 miles I had to replace front rotors, which is to be expected. Just turned over 275,000 miles. No problems,still running strong !!!!!