Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• Options
    pali123pali123 Member Posts: 3
    Thank God - I thought my wife was losing her mind:)

The Hyundai service department said exactly the same thing to us - "can't duplicate, can't fix."

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    I am totally serious. The salesperson told me, "The seat has a sensor and it is telling you that your wife is not heavy enough to safely activate the airbag." Wait, it gets better. She went on to say, "Have your wife put a brick in her pocket."
  • Options
    paulnzpaulnz Member Posts: 16
    cars66 and pali123,

I think "can't duplicate, can't fix" could apply to some minor things, but for brakes - NO WAY!!! At the very least, they should provide you with a different Santa Fe as a loaner and keep yours for as long as it takes them to figure out what is going on.

To me it is not right that the consumer should have to drive a new vehicle that has a safety defect. Hyundai should step up and make this right by you - and since most companies don't ever want to "step up", you will have to fight for what is right.

Good luck!
  • Options
    "I think "can't duplicate, can't fix" could apply to some minor things, but for brakes - NO WAY!!!"

My exact words to the service rep this am especially when he told me how the brake pedal can be depressed to the floor if the car is at a dead stop.

I told him there were a couple of things wrong with his scenario. First, the car was never at a stop when the pedal went to the floor and second, exactly when is it ok for this to happen - under any circumstances?

That's when he backpeddled and said he meant that the pedal went down "towards" the floor and that no - it is never acceptable for a car with 2000 miles on the odometer to lose the ability to stop.

And yes, the arrangement will be to have the car towed from our house and one of their techs will keep the car for a few days. Strange how I am hoping the tech can't stop the car. Kinda morbid.

And you would think the dealer would have one of his techs shuttle another one to our house and drive the car away. What kind of message do you think my neighbors will get when they see our 3 month old Hyundai being towed away? I suppose they might think we are deadbeats and it is being repo'd but not after it (or a new one - or a Nissan) comes back in few days.

More to follow. I wish there was a way to get in touch with cars66. Better to have an ally if Hyundai follows the normal routine of most merchants when the customer is courted like a prom date and kicked to the curb after check out the next morning.
  • Options
    necs54necs54 Member Posts: 1
    2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS. My passenger side door lock does not always fully engage when the electric lock switch or the remote switch is activated. It seems to work fine during cold weather, but as the air warms it opens/closes partially. I then have to manually lock the door with the button. I have looked inside the door for damaged or broken parts but found none. Is there a repair/rework order from Hyundai on this? Do I need a replacement part? Or will a strategically placed shot of WD-40 do the trick? Any suggestions? :confuse:
  • Options
    phenixxphenixx Member Posts: 2
    i just bought my santa fe limited and have the same problem. I had the dealer change the antenna form a small one to a longer one and the problem was still there. so then they called the technician.

he basically said the Tweeter (speakers) on the door panels were designed to catch high frequency radio waves (or somehting like that) but the problem was the speakers. I guess they speakers themselves. He also said in other cars these speakers are set lower so most people dont hear the high pitch sound, but because hyundai installed them at ear level, that was causing the problem with people with sensitive hearing. anyway, he said he could unplug them, but the stereo would not work to its most effecient level. at this point maybe unpluggin or replacing them is the key. Does anyone else have another solution, i would like to keep my infinity stereo fully functional without unplugging the speakers.
  • Options
    torscottytorscotty Member Posts: 8
    Hi Phenixx. Thanks for the update. Yes, I do agree that this sound only comes out of the tweeters and yes the tweeters are designed for higher freqency sound. I also agree it seems to only affect some people (including me). For whatever reason I can hear this high pitched sound where as others cannot. My problem with your dealers diagnosis is simple. Why does the sound only occur with the engine running? When its off everything sounds great! Its not a speaker problem, its a radio or amp or wiring problem. Since this issue only affects the Infinity systems I tend to think its the amp.

The other Santa Fe's that only have 6 speakers still have tweeters in the doors and it sounds like they do not have the issue. I plan to raise this with my dealer next time I am in.
  • Options
    phenixxphenixx Member Posts: 2
    Hi torscotty,

All that you said sound perfectly logical. Please let me know how it goes with the dealer regarding the stereo. I will go to the dealership soon and i'll let you know if there was another solution, like the amp or wiring issues as you suggested.

thanks again,
    phenixx
  • Options
    mtgalmtgal Member Posts: 2
    We have the same issue in our 2008 Santa Fe. We noticed that if my legs are constantly holding pressure on the front edge of the seat the light stays on. I am 150 lbs and 5' 7". If I stretch my legs out or sit forward, such as to take my arms out of a jacket, the sensor indicates OFF. Lifting up and sitting back down didn't trigger the sensor either. Then I squeezed the front right corner of the seat and the sensor comes back ON. We are going to bring it up to our dealer this week. I would have thought that they would have tested this issue as soon as it came to their attention. Does the bag still deploy if the light is off? Not something I want to find out the hard way.
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    I remember an old post about bumper covers that fit too snugly against the front fenders. My 2007 Limited had the same problem, and the front edges where the two panels made contact had some paint slightly rubbing off I checked and there really is no adjustment that can be made to the cover itself. But in case anyone else sees this problem, here is a quick solution - remove the screws (one on each side) at the frontmost portion of the cover/fender liner and install a washer. This gives a little more room and the cover now lines up perfectly on both sides. A little body shop tip without an actual trip to the body shop.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    mmiillemmiille Member Posts: 2
    I put a full size spare under my SE and it fits ok, but how does the tire pressure sensor work? Will this work if I rotate all tires? Will an added tow hitch get in the way?
  • Options
    kmstockwellkmstockwell Member Posts: 1
    I had my car at Goodyear yesterday for an oil change. One of the things they routinely check with any oil change is the tire pressure. They informed me that my valve caps had 'seized' and that if they tried to remove them it could damage the tire sensor system. The service tech at Hyundai claims they have never heard of this happening, but Goodyear told me they have had 3 or 4 break in the last few months.
    Not sure, but it sounds like that might be your problem?
  • Options
    rbautistarbautista Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2007 Limited also. I had to replace two of my tires due an alignment issue back in November. I noticed a few months later after the replacement, all my vavle caps were now plastic instead of the "cool" looking metal ones. I'm thinking my dealer swapped them out without telling me. After reading your post, makes sense to me. I was about to call the dealer and complain that I want my "cool" looking metal valve caps back, but I'm actually fine with the plastic ones. Easier to find replacements.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I lost a few of my caps along the way and replaced them with the black plastic caps. The black caps aren't very noticeable. They are better and easier to grip to take off and on then the silver plated caps. The silver started to get worn off within a year. No big deal IMHO.
  • Options
    bolla67bolla67 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    I have an 08 SF LTD w/less than 2k miles. I seem to hear a whining sound go through the back, especially when sitting in the back seat. I can't pinpoint exactly whats causing it but it seems whenever the wheel is being turned to the right I hear this strange whining that almost sounds like an 18 wheeler's horn. I actually thought someone was beeping at my husband and I repeatedly when I was sitting in the back seat and it turned out to be this weird noise coming from underneath the car. Anyone experiencing this?
  • Options
    Hi,
    I have an 08 SF LTD w/less than 2k miles. It seems after it has been sitting awhile (cold start) when I start to accelerate at about 20mph a strange sound (like running over a tree branch) comes from underneath the front and I can also feel a slight thud under my gas pedal. It only does it when the cars cold. It doesn't seem to do it after that, unless I don't drive it for a couple of hours then it does it again. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, my front passenger door seems to have a slight tremble and makes a slight friction sound (rubber molding rubbing). I've taken it to 2 service depts. and all they can say is "can't duplicate and we greased it". I can see that the door is slightly out of line, but I can't convince them of it. They only want to mess w/the rubber molding. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    2007santafese2007santafese Member Posts: 7
    I have also recently experienced the same sound/feeling when accelerating just after starting the engine.

I purchased a 2007 Santa Fe SE AWD used w/11K miles about two weeks ago. I didn't experience any strange noises until yesterday when it was cold and rainy here in Upstate NY. The only time the sound/feeling in the pedal happens is after I start the car and shift into drive for the first time. Otherwise, no problems for the duration of my drive. However, if I shut the car off and restart, the sound/feeling immediately returns when beginning to accelerate.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have an appointment to have the car looked at on Friday, but since I bought it from a non-Hyundai dealership, it is being checked-out by a KIA mechanic. Do I have reason to be concerned?

Note that I put 89 octane fuel in last week (reached for the wrong nozzle). Could that have caused a problem?

Thanks...
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    It doesn't matter where you bought the car. If it is still under the factory warranty, any hyundai dealer will cover it. And no, putting 89 otctane in the vehicle would not cause a strange noise.
  • Options
    2007santafese2007santafese Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply. I just find it strange that it was running smooth last week and it was only after I refueled that the sound/feeling started. I am hoping the KIA mechanic will be able to diagnose, otherwise I will take it to the Hyundai dealership.
  • Options
    The strange thing is it doesn't happen every time I start the car cold. Based on other forums/threads I've read here it's the ABS engaging. I've owned cars before w/ABS and never had that happen. I brought my SF in yesterday to address the creaking sound in the rear quarter panel and didn't bother to mention it because it didn't happen all day and I knew when I picked up the car the mechanic would say couldn't duplicate. I'm going to wait to see if it happens when I get the car back.
  • Options
    somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    is your creaking noise at the rear driver side? try standing outside the car with the driver side door open - rock the car from side to side by pushing up on the door frame - does it reproduce your noise? that's what i have to do when i return to the dealer. they love to tell you they can't hear what you hear on a test drive - don't test drive it - check it like a mechanic is supposed to know how to!
  • Options
    I actually found a TSB that Hyundai puts out. The first dealership I took it to said they couldn't duplicate the sound even though I heard it driving out of the parking lot. So I did research and found a TSB for this exact problem and now another dealership is working on it. Isn't it sad that people have to do the mechanic's job for him before he even looks at the car?
  • Options
    NY_MaverickNY_Maverick Member Posts: 26
    The TSB for the creaking sound is well documented in the "noises and sounds" forum here.

I also had Hyundai perform the same service shortly after I purchased my vehicle in October 2007.

Suffice it to say, without that TSB article in hand, I would have been met with shrugs and "I dunnos".
  • Options
    barney975barney975 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2008 Santa Fe. We are walking in the same shoes. The brake fails from time to time unexpectedly.

Now my car has 2000 miles and it did this few times in this last month. I took it to the dealership and the answer was exactly the same: "cannot duplicate"
    I do not know what to do. What happened to your Santa Fe? Did anyone repair it? Have you found any solution?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Hi, I haven't experienced this yet and hope I don't. But, in the meantime, sign up on this site http://www.hmaservice.com and look up all the tsb's. I didn't see anything about brake failure, but maybe you could email them and see what solutions they offer.
  • Options
    geecemangeeceman Member Posts: 3
    My outside temp display on my 07 Santa Fe Limited AWD has been on 68 since I had the dealer check for water in the passenger floor board about 6 months ago. I live about 70 miles from the dealer and kept putting off going back after researching and finding this site and this info I called the dealer and set up an appointment. I asked them if the were aware of this problem they said yes. Are you aware of this fix? We'll have to run your vin and see what fix applies to your vehicle. After 2 hours yesterday I was told they replaced the sensor but it was still on 68 probably just where it is sitting in the sun. I asked if they had checked TSB #07-90-00. I was told that they had run my VIN and no TSB came back in reference to my vehicle. Never changed on the way home. Still 68. When I tried to tell the service writer about the TSB and that there was a fix I was told that they were unaware of any problems like this on Santa Fe's they had had problems with Azera's also I should stay off the internet, as too much information from the internet could get me in trouble.

Is this a problem anyone else is having with the dealers. I am retired on disability. I have chronic back problems and was trying to keep my long trips to a minimum and now who knows how many times I'll have to go back. I know you all can't fix my problem. but are all dealers like this?
  • Options
    srmcsrmc Member Posts: 6
    This is a 3.3 L.
    I cannot get Hyundai to honor their warranty. The field representative verbally agrees that it is piston slap, but will not use those words in writing. The field rep says that this will not cause any permanent damage to the engine. My dealer has no other cases, but will not help me. The only option that I have is to use a lawyer.
  • Options
    NY_MaverickNY_Maverick Member Posts: 26
    Geeceman, since the problem you are referring has an objective result (fixed or not fixed), it may be best not to tell dealer about any TSB. Let them, FORCE them, to troubleshoot the issue. After all, you can bring a thermometer with you to the dealership and show them if the reading on your display is accurate or not accurate. Or simply check another vehicle's reading.

Service Departments for whatever reason seem to get defensive when customers start using the term TSB or "Internet". I suspect it comes across to them as "I know more than you" and they resent that.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That's the advice Edmunds has posted for years now:

How Can a Technical Service Bulletin Help Me?

But I wonder if that's changing. More people are researching everything online and trying to tie symptoms with known problems and dealers must be seeing more people walk in with print-outs of TSBs and forum posts.

My furnace guy was a bit surprised when I called him out to recharge my heat pump, but a few web sites had narrowed the problem down to that being the most likely problem. And it was.

The flip side is that the mechanic may just fix the obvious problem and overlook other things that would have been checked if you go in demanding that a TSB be performed. Better to simply go the service writer with "a complete description of your vehicle's particular problem ."

Plus TSBs aren't mandatory, so the dealer has to confirm the problem anyway and you're paying for the diagnosis (at least until it becomes a warranty item).
  • Options
    this just happened to me! how did they handle it for you? if they did fix under warranty - how old/mileage was yours at the time? If not - why did they say it could not be covered?
  • Options
    j craigj craig Member Posts: 4
    In the morning when I first start my 2008 Santa Fe during the cooler mos. and all winter, the engine rpm jumps immediately to approx. 2000 rpm and stays there for at least 20-30 secs. and then gradually falls back as the engine warms up. Since this is the time of greatest engine wear, I checked with my dealer and they said that they are all like that and there's nothing that can be done to tone down the starting rpm. Any comments? I can just about feel the metal on metal for the first 5 secs.
  • Options
    js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Funny you should ask now as I just got around to taking the car in to the dealership yesterday. They called today and said the same part failed, and they have ordered a new unit (basically the bladder that inflates that portion of the seat). Part should be in and installed by Thurs. I've got just under 18K miles and yes they are covering it again under warranty.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• Options
    yeah - i went in yesterday - mine has 45+k and they covered it - the entire seat back to be replaced - said it was worth $1800.00 - warranty workin' for me so far...
  • Options
    I haven't had any warranty (or other) issues onmy 07 Santa FE SE AWD thus far (30k miles). But it is nice to know Hyundai is doing a good job when warranty repairs are required.
  • Options
    susankjsusankj Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Santa Fe is 3 weeks old, 1100 miles and Brakes failed twice. The first time i went to stop and the pedal went to the floor. The second time we were stopped and they let go and we shot forward. Luckily I was already weary and left enough room and they grabbed when I hit the pedal again. Dealership wants to send it home because they can not duplicate. I told them no way unless their willing to sign a letter being responsible for anything that could happen when their bound to fail again. I have contacted corporate and consumer affairs has opened a case. Not sure what else to do. Anyone have any luck in getting their Santa Fe repaired. :cry: :mad:
  • Options
    i62328i62328 Member Posts: 2
    I've been checking/posting on this message board and others about this. Does anybody have any updates? Please post if you have any new info on this issue! Thanks!
  • Options
    ryanorryanor Member Posts: 11
    Hello,

I'm the original owner of an '07 Santa Fe GLS (2.7 L).

Shortly after purchasing, I noticed a humming / pulsating sound that seemed to be coming from the engine compartment. This occurs when traveling in the 50 to 60 MPH range. Lately, it seems to be getting louder.

Has anyone encountered something similar with their Santa Fe? Ideas as to what may be causing it?

Thanks in advance!
    Ryan
  • Options
    does it only happen with a/c on?
  • Options
    I'm not sure; I'll have to experiment and report back. But if so, what would it indicate--an A/C problem of some sort?
  • Options
    I've read on another board that the Santa Fe is notorious for the front end alignment going out (causing cupping of the tires which will cause a droning noise).

Would this be something covered under the Hyundai warranty? Or would it be considered more of a maintenance item?
  • Options
    rbautistarbautista Member Posts: 8
    The alignment went bad on my '07 which I didn't know was a common problem until last fall. Dealer said the tires aren't covered under warranty due to bad alignment.

2 tires went bad because of this, 1 was cupping with 60% left, and the other was ok with 60% left. I just replaced the 2 bad ones and had them realigned the tires. The humming is still there, but not so bad. Next tire rotation will be fun. The tire that has cupping will have to be rotated to the front. Last time I did that, the car started shuddering/vibrating at speeds 40-50mph.
  • Options
    As a follow up, having the A/C on or off does not make a difference. Braking has no effect on the noise either. There is no vibration involved; just the noise. I've read the Bridgestone Duelers that came on the car are not the greatest.
  • Options
    Over the weekend, I took our Santa Fe to NTB to have the tires rotated/balanced. I also had them check for cupping, but they didn't notice any. They did a free alignment check, as well. The items that were out of spec for me:

Front Left: Toe -0.15 (Specified range is -0.08 to 0.08)
    Front Right: Toe -0.17
    Total Toe: -0.32 (Specified range is -0.16 to 0.16)

Rear Left: Camber -1.9 (Spec range is -1.5 to -0.5)
    Rear Right: Camber -1.7

Are any of these considered seriously out of alignment? Could it be the reason for my humming noise?

Also, since my Santa Fe is still under warranty (~27,000 miles), should I take it to the dealer and have them check it out? There wouldn't be any cost to do so, would there?
  • Options
    auxfireauxfire Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 2007 Santa Fe in the latter part of 2007. It came equipped with what I thought were good tires. Just this week I've had to replace all four tires because of wear issues called cupping, which when I asked about it at the Dealer was told that they've not seen it in any other Santa Fe, it felt like a brush off. Come to find out, other people are experiencing the same thing. I'm definatly calling Hyundai tomorrow when they open. Back to my story, I had exactly 22,837 miles on my Hyudai on those tires, which should have lasted longer, but they didn't. The basic problem I was having was this horrible grinding sound when I drove the car. I replaced the two front tires first as they needed to be changed. But, upon returning home found that the back tires that they put on the front, had that awful noise. I was told at the Dealership that it would cost $175 for each tire that they replace..needed two. I declined but said I'd be back for an alignment. Got the new tires, no problems, didn't even pull to the right. Got an alignment, pulled to the right, not bad but pulled that direction anyway. Called the dealership, Gal that works there told me that Hyundai has that in all of there vehicles, in case the "Driver" falls asleep at the wheel, you don't cross into oncoming traffic. Has anyone else heard that? It just sounds like a bunch of melarky (bull). Anyway, I just need to say this is my 3rd Hyundai (my second Santa Fe) and that I didn't experience anything like that in my 2001, gave it to my parents and they drive it.
  • Options
    you should call Hyundai to complain about that dealership - the explanation about the car drifting toward the left or right to avoid accidents when you fall asleep at the wheel really sounds like an insult to all intelligent life forms. I haven't had those particular problems with the tires but mine lasted about 40k miles and had to be changed do to all the tires being worn on the inside. Possibly my fault because i'd never done and alignment in 2yrs but the car never felt like it needed one. When you replace tires - do not use the oem (original) tires - they are not good for the money they cost - instead research for a better tire for less money. you can also use a different tire size too!
  • Options
    leseuldanielleseuldaniel Member Posts: 45
    My SFpulled bad to the left right from delivery. They aligned it once, solved the problem at high speed and upon acceleration, but at low speed the car still pulled left and the steering wheel was 'turning left' on it own with every road inperfection. They claimed it was normal (probably to help me avoid accidents when driving in England), wanted me to wait to change for my all season tires. After the change, they checked and adjusted the steering wheel straight, but then the car pulled to the right. Finally re-aligned both the steering wheel and the front wheels together and now it run straight. Sure took them a while...
  • Options
    I had a pull to the right on my 07 SF SE AWD also. I had it aligned and it still pulled to the right. When I had the tires rotated, the pulling stopped. Turns out one of the tires (bridgestone duelers) were bad. At 25K miles, I replaced all the tires with Kumho's. No problems since.
  • Options
    rayden19rayden19 Member Posts: 6
    I own an 08 Santa Fe SE (2500 miles) and noticed that when I turn the Key ON - Engine OFF....the fuel pump sounds like it is running continuous (gurgling sound). :confuse: It will stay doing that until I turn the key or start it. In other cars I have owned, the fuel pump simply primes and then waits for the car to be started.

Any ideas why this is happening?
  • Options
    auxfireauxfire Member Posts: 4
    Apparently, I found out on Wednesday, that my tires (the Original ones were covered, because when I bought my car, they gave me the Factory issued tires and I spoke to the Tire people. Mine happened to be Bridgestones. If I had kept them, they would have replaced them for free, due to the cupping issue. I was told that the tires have a life of the tire guarantee. And therefore, would have been replaced, or a big discount on the tires.
  • Options
    jbaginskyjbaginsky Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Santa Fe 3.5 liter is currently experiencing rough idle and poor acceleration only when cold, when the engine warms up it's fine! The only code was a P0302, cylinder 2 misfire. I have read it could be a dirty or faulty fuel injector...the only problem is I don't know which one cylinder # 2 is...