Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Outlander Prices Paid

Comments

• gowegowe Member Posts: 1
    I get a quote of $31,583 O.T.D.for a fully loaded on a 2009 Outlander XLS 4WD. How you guys think about. I am at bay area of CA.
  • batman47batman47 Member Posts: 606
    A factor for a fair price is the number of miles in the odometer. If a dealer asks you $29,000 for a 2009 Outlander full loaded (before taxes +) + protective package ($400) but more than 100 miles in the odometer so it is not a good price. A better price is $28,500. If you take away $1000 rebate so you will pay $27,500 + (taxes +).

If the vehicle has between 0-20 miles in the odometer then, $29,000 + (taxes +) is OK. Another consideration is the color of the car. Some colors are not saleable. Colors like the Manitoba green metallic, or Desert sand beige you could bargain another $500 from the asked price.
  • mannyliangmannyliang Member Posts: 2
    the dealer offer pice for 09 outlander es with Convenience Package is 21000 + ttl
    is it a bad price for this car
    because i see a lot peple get it 19000~19500 in this forum .
  • mervasmervas Member Posts: 8
    Is it a good time to buy an 2009 xls 4WD now or should I wait until Sept for the new incentives? I was quoted couple of hundreds under MSRP in NY Long Island, but I think is too much considering resale value...Ofered 300 over invoice price, the dealer didn't even want to hear about it....
    The newspaper USATODAY had an article (or a forum) where it said that majority of dealers are crooks.

The first rule I have is not to go to the dealership to bargain about your car. The best method that it works for me is to do the first contact by email after you have explored its web page new car inventory. Before asking the following politely establish first very clearly what vehicle are you looking for, example a 2009 Outlander XLS AWD gray, or silver or black, etc

(1)- What are the factory-fitted options in the published price?
    (2)- What are the miles in the odometer?
    (3)- What is the best price the dealer is prepared to offer?
    (4)- What colors do they have in stock?

If you are fortunate the dealer will answer your email. The salesman will try to lure you to come into his/her dealership to “talk” or give them a call. Many are so ridicules that even ask you to come to their dealership to tell you what color are the car in the showroom. Don’t fall for this. Look at for another dealer.

Generally, the Internet manager is sitting down in front of his/her laptop navigating the same Web page of the dealership a few floors from the showroom. The Internet manager is not usually involved with the cars in the showroom. Dealership Web pages sometimes are not update continuously so information there could mislead the Internet manager. Many times the car you are looking for is not in the building. The Internet
    Manager can see where your car may be if there is any. Some Internet Managers don’t like to write long email to answer (1)-(4) so they email you the invoice report, where you have 2-importants information. (a)- The invoice price and the VIN# of the vehicle. Also Edmunds.com can help to find out the invoice price of the car.

Offer then $100 above the Invoice price. Not more. With the Invoice price dealers are having a fair profit. The VIN# can give you an idea of how long the car has been in the showroom. For example xxx9Z012922 is telling you that the car was bought by the dealer around June/July 2009. VIN # xxx9Z008341 is telling you that the car was bought around January/February 2009.

The best week to buy a car is the last week of the month. The best month to buy a car is November/December where the new model is just coming to the showroom.

When buying a car you need to be in control not the salesman.
  • 71alfa71alfa Member Posts: 19
    I live on Long Island and didn't get quoted a good price for my '09 XLS AWD. I contacted Maywood Mitsubishi, NJ via Internet and got a fair, no BS quote. It might be in your interest to go the extra miles to NJ for your Outie.
    Thanks for your suggestion I have just emailed them for a quote. May I ask what was your OTD price?
    Thank you!. If I won't get a good deal I'll wait until Nov/Dec, after all it's all about getting the car at the the best price.
  • barber76barber76 Member Posts: 3
    Hello from central TX!
    Two days ago bought ES AWD (+ convenience pkg). Traded in wife's 05' Lancer ES. After the trade-in and all rebates, out-of-the-door price was 18800, taxes included.

CR-V felt more solid, but was a few grands more...
    Well, not 18800, 18670 to be exact. And, if I calculated everything right, it means that the pure price of vehicle itself was $22630 - which is $100 more then Edmunds TMV ($22526) - not that much of a difference. Then why am I feeling myself more and more stupid now, while reading this forum ?...
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    Just curious...where and what dealer?
    Mine was a lease so I can't give you an OTD price. But, the lease price I got was $30 less a month than any price I got on LI. You're right about getting the best prices if you wait until Nov/Dec. (or the end of any month when they want to clear inventory)
    Pavilion Mitsubishi, Austin
  • 1hhead1hhead Member Posts: 18
    Would appreciate any sales results on the 2010 models, preferably deals that didn't involve trade-ins...

I'm shopping between the upper "SE" 4cyl and the XLS 6cyl trims. Would like the tan leather interior, but the 4cyl was just plain fun to drive (saving $ is fun too!)

Thanks!
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I picked up a GT in December. Price was within $300 of Edmunds' TMV. Mine is loaded with basically everything but the rear entertainment system. Chicago suburbs.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Can't help with price points on the 2010 but am curious why you preferred the 4 SE over the six cylinder XLS. I have an '09 XLS AWD and found the 4 a bit sluggish. Either way you go you should enjoy it.
    The Mitsubishi dealer sold me the 2010 Outlander GT at invoice price fully loaded. No entertainment system. The dealer also deducted from the invoice price the $1000 loyalty bonus.
  • charlied1charlied1 Member Posts: 2
    I just returned from Maywood Mitsubishi and they quoted $435 for the base model 4WD 4 cyl Outlander and $489 for an SE 4WD, 4 Cyl with about $4k in options built in. It drives well, but for not that price. Anyone have a sense of where we can land a deal on a 4 cyl, 4WD Outlander?
    Did you mean $435 or $489 above invoice?
  • skc7286skc7286 Member Posts: 7
    I bought a new 2010 outlander gt this past week. Msrp of 30,015 and invoice of 28,339. I paid 27,839 less 1,000 rebate instead of zero percent financing and an additional 1,000 off for loyalty. I got 6,000 for my trade (2005 chevrolet Malibu ls with 62k miles) which is well more than kbb said I should have gotten for my car in fair condition. Out the door was 25,839 plus tax title reg.

I'm a little north of Boston if this helps.
    Good deal.

May I ask the name of the dealership? I am hoping to buy a 2012 GT near Boston. I wonder if you would like to provide the Zip code of the dealer or telephone or something that will allow me to contact the dealer.
  • kenman93kenman93 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. Shopping for a small suv. Have already test driven new crv and forester. Intend to test drive a 2007 xls AWD with cloth seats, no nav with 37400 miles. "Internet price" is $15543. It has been on the dealer's lot since mid-July. What should I look out for? Reliability is VERY important! I think I can bargain the price some more-not sure how much (if I we like it). Btw, I'm in Atlanta. Thanks.
    Hi kenman93,
    I have an '09 XLS (lease) with 33000 miles. I've had no issues with it since new. Just routine maintenance is all I've had to do. I think your price is a bit on the high side since the buyback on my Outlander in Oct '12, after 48 months is about $11,000. Mileage should be about 40000 by then. I know we're not comparing apples to apples but you should be able to get a better price.
    Reliability is good. Road noise is only beef.. ready for some Michellin MXV4's to quiet it down.
    IC
    As 71alpha says, the price seems a bit high. You might search listings to see or inquire in the used car forum thread.

Reliability-wise I don't see any issues. Before buying my '10 Outlander GT I had a '99 Galant LS V6. It had exactly one mechanical repair in 10.5 years & 152K miles. Beyond that, I blew out a speaker (me likes me music loud sometimes) & replaced a trim piece that a car wash damaged. Everything else was normal wear.

I believe the '07 would still have some factory warranty left so you'd have some coverage should something happen.
  • kneehowmakneehowma Member Posts: 17
    Purchased at Gillman Mitsubishi North of Houston. Negotiate the price over email/phone before going to dealership. Overall good transaction and no bait-n-switch.

2011 Outlander Sport 2WD SE (CVT auto transmission)
    No additional options.
    MSRP $22505
    Invoice $21589
    TrueCar target is $20189
    Mitsubishi has $750 cash to dealer
    Negotiated $20990 OTD which includes 6.25% sales tax, so vehicle is basically $19420+TTL+doc.

There are around 80 Outlander Sport (ES and SE) in Houston area. So I believe you can get better deals if you wait till year end. I just had to purchase on 11-11-11 :)
    You did very well. Enjoy it! :)
  • isophoroneisophorone Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone! We just bought a 2011 Outlander ES 2WD. I think the MSRP is in the $22Krange, but our sales slip says dealer price of $21013. We got $2500 rebate ($2000 manufacturer rebate plus $500 "owner loyalty" because we owned a Saturn). After taxes, tags, and trade-in, our out the door price was about $18,300. Purchase was at Moore Mitsubishi, Chantilly, VA.

We used the AAA buying service and got bids from three different dealers. Moore initially had the highest bid, but we had test driven the car at the dealership a few months ago, and they were by far the closest to our house. They matched the other bids and got our business. They did not pull any stunts with hidden fees and, in fact, lowered their processing fee by $100 without our even asking. The dealership experience was pleasant, low pressure. We did not use their financing. So far, we are pretty happy with the car and I think we got about 25 MPG on our first tank.
    Congratulations and Good Luck on your new purchase. Seems like you got a good price. I've had an Endeavor (4 yrs) and now an Outie (6 AWD) for 3 years and they have both been virtually trouble free. Enjoy.
    I'll ditto the congrats. I'm also a 2-time Mitsu owner - I had a '99 Galant LS V6 for over 10 years & 152K miles and currently have a 2 year old '10 Outlander GT with just over 20K miles. Beyond routine maintenance the Galant had exactly one minor mechanical repair during it's time and so far the Outlander has needed nothing beyond oil changes & tire rotations. No repairs, no recalls. It just works.

Enjoy the ride!
  • fbkordfbkord Member Posts: 17
    Bought one of the last 2011 Outlander GTs with Song and Sun package + DVD player/PS2 + floor mats + cargo net and cover.
    Asking price was $32885.00
    Paid $26260 plus tax and documentation.
    I'm in north of Chicago.
    I think I did well.
  • pjgirl23pjgirl23 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to get a 2011 outlander se 4wd. We have been haggling the price for days. I think there trying to screws me because I'm a woman!! Lol
    Did you get the rebates and 0% financing?? Can I ask how much it was off the sticker........actually,vim asking your advice on how to get them down. My deal does not seem like a deal. Sticker is 28,910. With the 2500. Rebate (Manufacter and loyalty) and 1910. Off sticker, the car is now $24,500. I think I should get more than 1910. Off sticker, right?? Plus, it's 2.19% financing. Thanks
  • fbkordfbkord Member Posts: 17
    Knowledge is power. I got the information I needed from www.truecar.com. Just log in and put in the car information. The site will give you the value for the car. I also used Consumer's Report services to get the best price for the car. It cost me $40.00.
    Once I had that information, I walked in the dealership and told them what I would pay for the car and showed them the source of my numbers. They really didn't have much to say. The discount I got was over $7000.00.
    I did not get the 0% deal. They could not give me that rate for the price I had negotiated. I was fine with that. My credit union offers .5% interest rate.
    Hope this helps.
    The 2011 Outlander GT has a $2000 payback + $500 loyalty.

The 2012 Outlander GT has $500 loyalty
    Check the figures given by Edmunds True Market Value (TMV) for your area. They are fair prices
  • coachraycoachray Member Posts: 4
    I am in the midst of purchasing a 2012 Outlander as well. I have a sales price of $19490 for a GT model. MSRP is $24550. I don't know if this includes destination if not add $810 more. Good price or not?
    Sorry I mean SE Model no extras. Now they are saying that price included rebates. So real price is 20490 plus $810 destination charge. Soooo 21,300 plus ttl roughly 10% in ca so out the door $25,580. Pull the trigger or shop around. The dealer over the phone said thats the best we can do over the phone. If I come in then we can negotiate. I told him the whole purpose of me to do this over the phone is to save time because life is made up of time and I'm not going to waste it in the dealership. He asked me then what I wanted to pay. So I know there is wiggle room. Thoughts anyone???
    You are not clear enough to give you a proper suggestion. The Outlander ES is sold as 2WD or 4WD. Also I do not know if the car is brand new or has been used as a demonstrator (enquire number of miles on the clock).

Equally although the car may be registered in 2012 does not mean that the car is indeed manufactured in 2012. Check the VIN number of the car and if the 8th digit counted from the right end is B = 2011 or C = 2012.

Outlander 2011 sold in 2012 has a rebate of $2000. Outlander manufactured in 2012 and sold in 2012 has a loyalty rebate of only $500.

After you are clear about the above I may suggest if the deal is good or not. Dealers will not give best figures just by telephone. You may need to physically inspect the car. There are many features that may reduce the price of the car sharply. For example if the collapsed rear seat vibrates or rattles while the car is moving it is not good. Doors which fit unevenly also are not good, or if you look at the engine compartment and see that the air conductor is floppy or there are a few missing screws/nuts, etc then walk away from the deal.
    Here is the deal: 2012 (made sure with the VIN#) SE Outlander. Has 4 miles on the odometer. Price including destination is 20,900. Out the door 23,034. It has no extras. I am not getting any rebate with this price. Good deal or not? Price is in southern california.
    Good deal! I think you should buy it. Give the car a good test drive and check it fully. Is the car 2WD or 4WD?
    These are the real figures my dealer wants me to pay:

Cost for the car (including options and accessories): $29,182
    Tax to pay 8.5% (of $29,182): $2,485.15 (**)
    DMW (Paper work + license plate): $363.75
    Less $500 Loyalty,
    Less $1000 rebate from MMA,

That makes it a grand total of $30,530.90 (on the road)

(**) I am not happy with this calculation because the dealer should tax $29,182 - $1500 = $27,682 i.e. 27,682 x 0.085 = $2,352.97. It appears that the dealer doing this type of calculation will pocket $132.18 that rightfully belongs to me if we play by the right rules. MMA in its web page takes away the loyalty pay and the cash back from the price of the car before taxes and DMW. Even Edmunds takes away the cash back before calculating the taxes.

What has convinced the dealer to do that type of calculation? Is it legal? Can the dealer get away with that? Will the dealer indeed pay to the tax office $2,485.15? Can the dealer, sometimes after, claim that the customer has paid too much tax and reclaimed it for himself? Is this way of customer taxation something accepted in the Car Businesses? What can I do?
    Sales tax laws vary by state and this is only my understanding of it so YMMV.

You're paying $29182 for the car so you pay sales tax on that. The rebate is technically a separate transaction. Much like the rebate you might get at Fry's for buying computer parts.

Cars are so expensive that dealers & manufacturers have set up the auto purchase process to allow you to sign over the rebate to the dealer in order to make the initial purchase price easier to swallow. You sign it over to them as part of the purchase paperwork. If you didn't, Mitsu would send you a check for the rebate amount.

BTW if your dealer was collecting profit under the line item "sales tax" in order to get you to pay, your state's Dept. of Revenue would be very interested in them. That's fraud against the consumer and tax evasion against the state government.

WRT auto purchasing, the only thing I've heard of that impacts sales tax is how the state considers trade-ins. Some allow trade-ins to reduce the purchase price (and thus the sales tax); others don't.
    2wd thanks. If checks out. Gonna buy.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,182
    Rebates are almost always included in the taxable amount for car purchases (similar to a toaster..lol).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It appears that some states do, indeed, what my dealer has done in calculating the taxes. Please check:

http://couponing.about.com/od/automobiledeals/a/cartaxfacts.htm

Please give your comments.

An institution called “Consumer Federation of America” seems to care for consumers, especially car buyers.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is looking for new-car buyers who feel they've been victimized by unscrupulous salespeople. Email pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with a few words about your experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• iownoneiownone Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2012 outlander SE 2wd w/ Premium/Towing/Protection/Fuse and wheel locks. 22268.89 was the price I paid plus TTL. I believe I got a fair price. I live in Georgia so hopefully this helps the south east buyers. (or any buyers for that matter)
    Today I have received my 2012 Outlander GT. One of the options I have ordered was the MZ380465EX (rear parking sensors kit). I thought I could activate the rear sensors by using a rear parking sensor switch (ON/OFF) located in the switch push button area. I was wrong. The system, even the buzzer/sonar, is located in the rear of the car. This is a departure from Outlander cars in Europe and Australia where the ECU Corner/Back sensor-ECU (proper module) are located just under the driver instrumentation panel which control the flow of signals to the sensors in the rear of the car.

The US sensor kit is just a very elementary set of harnesses that are attached to the interior of the rear bumper following the path of the side marker lights wires. Electrical energy is drawn from the reverse rear light lamp wires (when the reverse gear is engaged) to energise the parking sensors. This arrangement is just a very cheap (that anybody or garage) can perform. This arrangement only works when the car is engaged in reverse.

If you have a trailer, or anything that you are pulling it will activate the buzzer when reversing even if you are in the middle of nowhere. A high level of electronics is involved in the manual activation or manual deactivation of the rear parking sensors and a separate module (ECU) is needed just to control a set of combinations of engaging reverse without/with buzzing.

My dealer’s explanation was that (after consulting with MMA) he told me that the US government has given a rule forbidding the deactivation of the buzzer and sensors while reversing. This is, according to the dealer, the justification of why Mitsubishi (Japan) has installed, for the US market, the parking sensor, without an On/Off switch, so it always buzzes when reversing and approaching something.

I wonder if such a rule has even been given by the US government for cars of any make from 2012. This contradicts the fact that option MZ380465EX (Mitsubishi cars) has been on the market since 2010 (December). The kit has never been sold with sonar switch, nor with a mini ECU (Corner/back sensor-ECU) that control all the combinations (reversing/non reversing-buzzer on/buzzer off, switch on/ switch off, etc) so how can the US government give a rule for a kit that never had a sonar switch included, nor a corner/back sensor-ECU to control all the combinations buzzer/reversing/switch. This is what happens with Mitsubishi cars in Europe and Australia where the control of the sonar/reversing/switch ECU is located under the driver instrumentation panel.

Please give your comments about this weird US rule.
    All your options and accessories you got was for free!
  • beargator56beargator56 Member Posts: 35
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2012 Outlander GT, but they're trying to tell me the 2012 $1000 rebate doesn't apply to leases. Here's the language:

2012 Outlander
    Negotiate your best price and get a $1,000 factory rebate on a new 2012 Outlander. Retailer price and vehicle availability may vary. May not combine with special APR or special Lease offers. See your Mitsubishi retailer for details. Offer valid from 06/01/2012 through 07/31/2012.

Notice that it states "special lease offers." I'm taking this to mean that it's not applicable to one of the special lease rates like this:

2012 Outlander 2.4 ES 2WD CVT Lease
    Lease example for 2012 Outlander 2.4 ES 2WD CVT, MSRP $22,345 plus $810 ($935 Alaska / Hawaii) destination handling. Available through Mitsubishi Motors Credit of America, subject to approved credit and insurance. Not all customers will qualify. Retailer price, terms and vehicle availability may vary. Other lease terms/details apply. May not combine with factory cash rebates. See your Mitsubishi retailer for details. Offer valid from 06/01/2012 through 07/31/2012.

I'm not getting a "special" lease. I'm just getting a car at the agreed price and leasing it instead of buying. Anyone have any experience on this? Shouldn't the $1000 rebate still apply?
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    They should not treat a woman any diffidently, but I have female friends that have had less that positive experiences with the sales reps calling them 'Hun' ect. I would tell them if you don't meet my fair offer, I am leaving NOW and going elsewhere. There is a good website called http://www.truecar.com and you can put in your exact car and it will give you what others are paying.

I don't know where you live, but Ray Skillman Mitsubishi is always dealing with huge discounts for they are the largest Mitsubishi dealer in the state.