Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type Transmission Problems

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
Please share your experiences with any transmission problems you've had with your S-Type.

Comments

• jbsobeljbsobel Member Posts: 1
    My mother has a s-type 2001 w/ 39k. 1 year ago she took it in because the shifter was stuck and wouldnt move out of Park. Now, 7 days out of warranty-it is banging loud-and she is advised that the transmission is gone! $4,000.00 to fix. She had it in a few months ago and they put it up on the lift and did not hear the noise. They told her out of warranty-out of luck. I feel she has some recourse. It is and has been a problem-they told her if she considers a new Jag, then maybe that will help her cause! This came from Jaguar Corp. Help! Opinions?
  • rob54rob54 Member Posts: 2
    Please keep on appealing to the owner of the dealership, Jaguar, Ford,they may cave. Let them know Mom is on a fixed income. It would be best if you had Jag dealer do all maint. or had records.Maybe they will give 50% off.
    Shop around for a fix - I have had 2 cars -Dodge van and Infiniti Q45 with trans gone and dealer both times charged almost twice as much to fix than a private shop-about 5 large v 2000-2500
  • kmcclellankmcclellan Member Posts: 1
    I BOUGHT A 2001 JAGUAR S TYPE 3.0 IN LATE 2004. WHEN I BOUGHT IT THE JAG DEALER CHECKED OUT THE CAR AND REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION. THIS WEEK 3/12/2007 I TOOK THE CAR IN FOR SHIFTING PROBLEMS. IT WOULD SHIFT EARLY OR SHIFT TWICE IN QUICK SUCCESSION. THE DEALER AGAIN REPLACED THE TRANSMISSION! THANK GOD I BOUGHT THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. ALL WORK WAS NO CHARGE TO ME. I AM VERY WARY OF PURCHASING A 2006 S TYPE THAT I HAVE BEEN CONSIDERING. THE NEW JAGS HAVE A 6 SPEED TRANS. IS THIS ONE ANY BETTER?
  • kpalmer1kpalmer1 Member Posts: 2
    My Father is a mechanic for Bauer Jaguar in California and even tells me that Jags are equipped with the poorest-designed transmissions he has ever seen in his life. They are terrible, he tells me. Almost every day he comes in there are about five S-types on his to do list and every one is a transmission problem. He told me, the the new S-Types use a different material in something and he said that he has found that these ones are great transmissions and should not have that same problems. The transmissions in the past were designed and built by a company in France: BEC Transmissions. The new Jaguar transmissions are designed and built in Norway by Borgen Automobile Technologies. They are of a more friction-free design and are built to last because they are built better. The only jaguar issue is that they made this new transmission company change on every jaguar model except for the XJ's for some reason. Because of this lack of change the 2007 XJ are still suffering from problems but the S-Types are suddenly flourishing and having no problems.
  • kpalmer1kpalmer1 Member Posts: 2
    The previous Jaguar transmissions were built by Jaguar, but a BEC Transmossions design. The design was the flaw, not the quality. The new transmissions are designed and built by German ZF Friedrichshafen AG, who has been designing the finest transmissions in the world for quite a while. Both BMW, and Porsche utilize ZF for their transmissions. They are much, much, much better in both reliability and performance.
  • axyz1axyz1 Member Posts: 1
    I leased a pre-owned 2001 S-type in 2004 with 33K - the transmission died on me less than 3 months after getting the car. I had the transmission replaced and subsequently needed 2 additional transmissions within the next 1 1/2. Thanks goodness the car was still under warranty!
    The transmission's in the 2001's are a HORROR... Be Warned.
  • md2md2 Member Posts: 15
    i just bought a 2000 s type with 31000 miles on it and the dealer gave me a warr for 100000 miles on the motor and trans so far the car runs great i heard great things about this car hope it is as good as people say this is the first time i heard trouble with the trans hope all gos well for you
  • jofujofu Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 S-Type 2.5 and after 112000km, (the warranty
    and insurance dropped out at 100K) the auto transmission
    started going "klunk" when shifting from 2->1.
    Manually shifting from Drive to Neutral at each stoplight
    avoided the problem. I took it in for service (Upsala
    Sweden) and there was no record in the car computer of
    out-of-limit behavior.
    They flushed and re-filled the trans, and zero'd the
    adaptive computer program. Now it makes a REALLY big clunk
    at 2>1 and goes into redlight, "creep home" mode and they
    don't think I should drive it. Thanks a lot.
    They also want me to steer me to a reconditioned unit.
    I suppose it's nice to know I'm not alone.
  • dandkdandk Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2000 Jag S Type looked at twice for transmission problems. which only has 59,000 miles The dealership told me both times it was fine!!!! Recently (as in last monday) I was at the Emission Station and after I passed, my car would not come out of park. Four people tried to get it out of park, of course, no luck. AAA towed the car to the Jag dealership, and guess what happened? 3 weeks prior I told the dealership I suspected a problem with the transmission and they sent me home claiming no tranny problem. Then came monday and all the sudden I need a new transmission (SHOCKER) Well now they are replacing the gear mechanism and some switch that they say I broke. No way. I have had problems off and on with the transmission for about 6 months. Now I found out other people have the same problem and Jag will not recall this. I would love to participate in any action against them, this is an problem that they are aware of and won't do anything about. I like this car but I feel they are being deceptive and expecting us consumers to spend more of our hard earned money to stay in the lap of luxury. I do not call having to go in multiple times a month to the service department of my local jaguar dealership luxurious . And the kicker is no loaner car and they have had the car this time so far for over 4 days I do not know when it will be done and what other problems they may try to say exist. Thinking of going the foreign route!
    dandk
  • amadaussamadauss Member Posts: 8
    This is a big problem that Jag just will not recognize. :sick:
  • md2md2 Member Posts: 15
    i have had no problems with my jag s type runs good transmission works like it should so maybe not every jaguar s type has trouble mine is 2000 s type 3.0 hope you guys get yours fixed i think they are great cars good luck
  • jofujofu Member Posts: 2
    new update
    My car was built 2002-11 with 6speed automatic, so I presume it is the ZF6HP26.
    I'm waiting for a reconditioned trans and driving as little as possible around town.

when driving cold, the trans works as before.
    when warm, if I gas a little during 1>2, it goes WHUMP and we're in
    "VAXELLADAN DEFEKT" mode. Then I cannot change gears, and we are stuck
    in gear2, which is OK for 40-50km/h.
    Once I stop/neutral with motor running, when I start driving again, the trans
    behaves nicely: the car drives very gently with no thumps at all, although
    it seems slushy going from start to 10km/h revs up to 2K. Gears3,4,5 used
    without problem.
    The mechanic said that the trans was in "slip" mode, maybe some sort of low pressure/
    power mode. I suspect it also starts in gear2 which is just what I asked the mechanic
    to do for me.
    So, actually it is much easier to drive after the first WHUMP.
    Turning the engine off clears the "VAXELLADAN DEFEKT" alarm, and the sequence
    repeats.
    The first time the WHUMP is really bad, the YELLOW engine lights, and
    this light is remembered after the car is turned off and then on.

Except one night with a thunderstorm, the persistant YEL engine light
    was cleared. It returned later the next day after a sloppy start from a light.

Driving Experience
    I suspect "Sport" mode makes things worse and avoid it now.
    The simplest way to drive now would be to force the WHUMP each time I start the
    car, stop at next light and enter N, then D and I can drive in slush mode for
    the duration of the trip.
    It feels wrong to try to make the trans panic. Besides, if the motor is cold
    the trans works just fine and I'm not sure I could get the WHUMP.
    It is more sporting to try to get through a day without tripping the "DEFEKT"
    alarm. This can be done (when the motor is warm): accelerate firmly from
    stop up to 2500, then release the gas and wait for the switch to gear2.
    From now on it changes up and down normally (just don't let it go down to gear1).
    To creep from stop, simply enter Drive and release the brake.
    To cause the WHUMP, push just a little gas, so it slowly accelerates to 1500,
    and it will try to change gears by itself. The next two changes will be really
    spectacular. Like being hit in the rear by another car.
    I'd call this ZF_LURCH#2A or maybe ZF_WHUMP#1.
  • atl124atl124 Member Posts: 1
    Come on Jaguar step up and do something for us on this obvious transmission issue. 2002 with 63,000. Been a great car up until last month. Then engine coil, coolant reserve tank and now the trans is gone. Dealer said, "if you'd just waited 1 more year and got a 2003, they fixed all the issues". Wow, thanks.
  • alyssealysse Member Posts: 1
    Is this a transmission problem? When I go up an incline, or enter the highway and starting at about 40mph, my car (s-type 2001) starts jerking forwards and backwards for awhile. It happens about 70% of the time. Someone recommended that I get rid of the car (it has 97,000 miles). I'm worried that the transmission will go before I can find a new car. I'd like to do a private party sale, but I think it would be wrong to sell a car knowing that I may have a transmission problem.
  • zx1400zx1400 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 s type jag. I think on the start of transmission problem. Have any one found cure for jag problem?
  • stork99stork99 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 S-type 4.0 has developed exactly the same symptom. It started a few weeks ago as hardly noticeable shaking just after it shifts into overdrive. By now it feels as firm jerking forwards and backwards in the range of speed from 45 to 55 mph. It happens only after transmission gets warm – after 8 - 10 miles drive. It is also important to mention that if I stop at intersection engine skips a bit or two within a 10 seconds interval. It runs smoothly though if it is not engaged with transmission, so I can hardly suspect something wrong with engine. I schedule a visit to a dealership for tomorrow. But I am pretty skeptical about their ability to diagnose and locate the problem because there is no signal flashing yet on my dashboard – that means there is no error code to read.

I would greatly appreciate if you can keep me updated. I can promise the same from my side.

Thanks
  • litmuslitmus Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 s type 3.0 with 109,000. I have had problems getting it out of park, especially if I let it rock backwards on an incline. Dealership told me its a problem with all 2002's. They told me to set the parking brake before I release the brake or take it out of drive. Then I don't have a problem. To get out of park, pushing the car forward a little will usually work if you forget to set the parking brake. Now I'm experiencing some slippage in the transmission. Up to now the car has been great.
  • edmujagsedmujags Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problems like everyone else. Am worried this car is going to die out on me one day. Please email me any updates you have on this class action suite and offcourse sign me up.
    How much is it to fix the transmission anyway. I need suggestions. A
  • dwongkendwongken Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2000 s-type which had the same issue. the problem is that Jag uses a little plastic clip to hold the shifter nob to the gear box. the plastic clip is broken, or cracked, and prevents the car from shifting out of park. mine broke completely, and they had to open up the entire center console and replace the clip - like i said, a little plastic clip. to prevent it from happening again, park on a decline as much as possible, and use the parking brake all the time. it takes the strain off of the clip. if you ask me, jag should do better than using a plastic piece to hold drivers in gear.
  • zip1315zip1315 Member Posts: 1
    Here is Aus. 5 grand is the cost to replace the transmission. We have just replaced ours and the installer said that we now have a later version without the problems that the original transmission suffered. If you can notice a long pause before the gears take up from a standing start after you put it into Drive then it is on the way out. Seems that the oil pressures take longer to build up and eventually ours wouldn't change into the top gear ratio's. We have a one year unlimited klm warrantee on the reconditioned trans from the installer (not the dealer). At the moment it seems to be OK, and we are not expecting any further trouble but agree that this situation should never have occured at our expense. Any compensation would be most welcome.
  • stork99stork99 Member Posts: 2
    After extensive research I have solved my "problem with transmission" that used to show same symptoms as yours by replacing ignition coils. My 2000 V8 with 100,000 miles on it feels like a new car now. Try it :)
    Thanks Stork99. Wanted to clarify that this probably is one of the many symptoms that are causing these transmissions to fail. On my car, it was the cooling lines that take the transmission fluid to the radiator and back. Their is a heat shield under these lines so if they start to leak at a very slow rate, the shield stops the fluid from landing on your garage floor or wherever you park the car. So you don't know its happening. Then while driving it blows off the shield. This is why they made a terrible mistake of not allowing the owner to check the fluid levels. Sealing the transmission so the fluid will last 100,000 miles and stating this as ok is a real problem. Really needs to be changed sooner as I saw noted on another post. This owner claimed all kinds of junk in the fluid after 60 thousand miles.
  • yanek1yanek1 Member Posts: 1
    Another one of unhappy owners of 2003 S-type jags. Have all of the above mentioned problems and then some. Can't afford to fix it anymore. Something has to be done and I'm happy some one is doing something about it. Please keep me posted.
    Thanks
  • changamirechangamire Member Posts: 1
    I am amazed at all the Jaguar owners that are actualy having the same problem as myself. I will say this I love my car from the ride to the design and especially the look. I get so much respect in this car I feel that it is classier than the BMW, Benz, and Lexus. However, the transmission problem needs to be addressed. My 2000 Jag is hard to get out of park on inclines, and takes atleast 3seconds to move after puting it in park. I'm hoping I can get it fixed before it goes out. I'm going to have my mechanic look at changing fluids, changing the ignition coils and checking for leaks from the trans to radiator. Please let me know about the lawsuit. I dont want money I would just like to be able to go to a dealership and get serviced.
  • marksemarkse Member Posts: 2
    Add me to the list of screwed S-Type owners. I got the "Gearbox Fault" warning on 10/19/07, although the car still ran okay. Took it to the dealer on 10/20/2007. Transmission started crapping out on the way to the dealer -thankfully I made it okay. I was told 4th gear was gone and new transmission was $3,750. I will be contacting Jaguar corporate. Below are some names in Jaguar North America I plan on contacting about this issue. I'm realistic about my chances of getting a response here. But I feel I must try something.

201-818-8500
    555 MacArthur Blvd.
    Mahwah, NJ 07430 United

President, Aston Martin Jaguar Land Rover North America Mike O'Driscoll

Purchasing Director, Jaguar Cars and Land Rover Ermal Faulkner

Manufacturing Director, Jaguar and Land Rover Jan Gijsen

Product Development Director, Jaguar and Land Rover Al Kammerer

Manager, Corporate Affairs Rosemary Mariniello

Director, Global Marketing, Jaguar Connell O'Donnell

Director, Legal Affairs, Jaguar and Land Rover Jon Osgood
  • marksemarkse Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention on the previous post - My S-Type is a 2001 with 79,000 miles on it. After reading some of the other message boards about this car, I'm actually thankful I got to 79,000 miles before it crapped out! Of course, this is my last Jaguar. In fact, I was planning on purchasing a Range Rover next year, but I may look elsewhere now since they are all run under the same company.
    The problem is corporate America does not look at it the way they did in the past. The exec's were paid a good yearly salary and a bonus if business increased. Today, that president is around 2 to 3 years tops, his bonus is predicated on bottom line profit because they have to feed that ever hungry shareholder. So to do this they cut costs, stop really caring about their customers, deny any problems, and at the end of the year, get that fat bonus check that could feed a small third world country. With that much at stake, the ride is very short to the promise land. In order to do this, they do spend more in two departments. The showrooms, which rival billionaire homes and marketing. And now here comes the holidays, we will sit at home and watch Its a Wonderful life and Scrooged and for one fleeting moment we will think, yeah, We need to be nice to our fellow man and everyone makes mistakes and we just need to admit them and correct them and the sun will come out tomorrow. Then January hits and its back to business as usual. Thank god that the checks and balances thing allows us to have enough lawyers today that when they smell blood, will pounce because they have to eat to.
  • zx1400zx1400 Member Posts: 2
    bought the car in june drove for three week and transmission went out. lucky I took out extended warranty. rebuilt the tranny it needed new pump,converter,parts inside of tranny. price 2300.00 so far so good. keep you posted.
  • jane152jane152 Member Posts: 1
    I have 85,000 and my 2000 stype is starting to display what seems to be transmission problems.
    In may I had a problem with my fan and overheating. The engine still feels like it gets too hot too quickly.

I have yet to replace my heater and a/c that went out last november. I have to replace a cst and heater vlv because the heater pump leaks when I use my a/c which blows the fuse AND is very oxidated from leakage.

I love my car but it has been very expensive to maintain.
  • fatpockets2fatpockets2 Member Posts: 1
    Please keep me informed on your progress. I too am experiencing
    transmission problems with my 2000 S-type. shifter gets stuck in
    park on an incline. The dealer wants about $900.00 to fix the problem.
    Jaguar has to admit to their mistakes, please keep informed. THX
  • rtlittlertlittle Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 s type and have had all kinds of problems with my transmission. At least 10 visits to the shop and the warranty co finally fixed problem but cost me every time I took it in. I also had to have the $1600 hose replaced and something with the struts for safety reasons another $1800. Now I'm having electrical problems and the dealer can't figure out what is wrong. Of course at $106 an hour they have been trying process of elimination and can't figure out whats wrong. They're saying it could be one of 4 models or a loose wire. Has any one had problems with this. The car blows the #21 fuse at the passanger side and the A/C radio, all gages and truck release stops while the lights stay on constantly. When you put a new fuse in it goes for about 4 days of light driving and blows again. If any one has any idea what's going on please e-mail me and if any one knows of someone in the Orlando area that works on Jag I would really appreciate it. I love the way my car looks and hate to get rid of it but I'm starting to think I better do something while it's still under extended warranty and less than 70K miles.
  • viper68viper68 Member Posts: 2
    I have owned a 2000 S-type for the past 3 years. I bought it with 8,000 miles and I now have 45,000 on it. My shifter has been replaced twice, every window has had electrical problems (including the sunroof), the radio screen is intermittent, it overheats easily (the thermostat and hoses have been replaced already)...other than that, I love its looks....it is just like having a cheating trophy wife...
    I would like to be included in the list, but hopefully I'll dump the thing soon enough. 2007 Jags have rebates of around $9000 in my area, and I was thinking that having one with a warranty could not be that bad (that to show everyone that I do love the looks), but after reading this thread I could not justify getting another one...
  • gshepherdgshepherd Member Posts: 1
    Wow, my first time on the Forum .... a bit scary. I bought a beauty Silver 2003 3 liter a week ago, 25K miles, close to white interior. I really thought I had done my home work in selecting this car, first Jaguar for me. We cames out of the Porsche, MBZ and many high-end Street Rods world ... with heavy emphazie with V8's. My wife has pushed me to explore better fuel economy as we have a shoe 49 Chevy Corvette based big block vehicle sitting in the garage.

Today was my first time on your Forum (maybe I should have started here), what are the tranny problems all about & why aren't the dealers fixing problems in or out of warranties. Guess the Share Holders should start to get senior management salaries back to reality, is supect they're in the megabuck range. Why hasn't there been a recall on these problems, what should I be watching out for?

My car is out of warranty, should I consider extention. Are Jaguar Dealers across the country like Corvette Dealers, some can set there warranty prices with very good prices.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from my new Jaguar colleagues. Hope I am successfull getting back onto this forum, took awhile to get setup. I am somewhat of a wrencher, in the Street Rods world, would like to learn as much as possible with this car .... I just had "the big one" last week. So I really would like to make this a keeper, but my wife has heard that numerous time. I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted an older Coupe some day.

Best regards,

Gil, Central Florida
  • dcb2008dcb2008 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2000 S type 4.0 with 46,000 miles this past July and only got to enjoy it trouble free for 4 weeks!!! I wish I had done my home work more thorough, my troubles started out with my passenger window regulator having to be replaced, Then soon after that my engine light came on, the temperature gauge shot all the way to hot in 15 seconds after the car was started, said engine temp was hot and went into "amber safe mode"... brought it into my mechanic and they replaced what was to be a faulty thermostat sensor? Two days later I noticed large amounts of liquid on my garage floor ( I thought it may be condensation from my air-conditioning ) wishful thinking huh? Sure enough my coolant reservoir cracked...antifreeze all over the garage floor!!! Now Im steamed! This was fixed 2 weeks ago and now the "amber safe mode" light was flashing again 3 times yesterday! I give up! I love this car and have always wanted a Jaguar and now with what Ive read and experienced, what am I in for next? By the way my engine when its cooled (overnight usually) when I start the car up it sounds rather loud (Tapping of pistons or cylinders or something ) for about 10 seconds until it idles down, then its smooth and quiet... is this normal? I hope...I asked Jaguar and they said that the oil has settled over night and its no big deal...I have 52,000 miles on it as of today I noticed all of my troubles started at 50,100 miles, I kid you not!!! Now Im afraid my transmission is going to go next, and I have no warranty!!!! Does anyone know of an affordable warranty? I bought this car second hand from Lexus and when they wanted nearly $8000 for an extended warranty I thought they were out of their minds!!! Thats nearly half the price of which I purchased this car ($13,988)
  • jagghagjagghag Member Posts: 1
    Guess what? As I post this today, my car is in the shop. A warning light that read gearbox fault came on. The car seemed to be shifting a little rough. I am waiting to hear how much this repair will cost me. At the current time I know it is related to the transmission. Prior to this time the shifter would get stuck in park if I parked on an incline. I also had my share of problems with hoses, a.c. and heat. I have a 2001 S type with 68,000. When I called the manufacturer and asked if there had been a recalled I was strernly told, "Absolutley not!" If in fact people are getting ready for a class action suit please count me in!
  • 2000stypejunk2000stypejunk Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 s type and im having the same transmission , shocks and that broken tube that makes the car shake when started as everyone else. i would love to put my name on your class action if still possible. let me know thanks
  • toy4xttoy4xt Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2000 S-Type for a little over three years now. With all the repairs it's pretty much a brand new car under the hood. I've had the entire cooling system done at about 68,000 miles, numerous problems with electrical system, and let's not count the number of coils I've had replaced. Let' see, the car has 8, I've had all of them replaced and a few more than once. I love the style but it has truly been a headache. Does the car really need brakes every 6 months? Mine does. I don't understand it. Even when they're new (from the dealer), they squeak. Anyway, a month ago I had the engine rebuilt at 86,000 miles (and some change) and two weeks later it needs a new transmission. Unbelievable! :cry: Thank God I did have the sense to get an extended warranty on the vehicle. The transmission was getting stuck in second gear, but after turning the car off and back on again, it would reset. Also it was shifting very rough and the car would flash "Transmission Fault" and "Failsafe Engine Mode". The warranty company covered 95% of the repairs I've had done on the car, but with my deductible and some of the things they would not replace because they weren't "broken enough", I've still spent a couple of thousand over the time I've had the car. When I first bought it, I couldn't wait to be able to upgrade to the XJ (yeah right). After this experience I'll never buy another Jag again. When this warranty runs out (another 14,000 miles), the car is outta here! The stress, the time, and the money isn't worth sitting in that kind of luxury! Oh, and if anyone needs a less expensive extended warranty company let me know. You'd be crazy not to get one with this car.
  • toy4xttoy4xt Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a Primus Care extended warranty for about $2700. It's good for up to 100,000 miles. It was a great deal because they've spent approximately $14,000 on my car's repairs. Hmmm... Jaguar could put them out of business at that rate...Now that's a shame!
  • jagremyjagremy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2003 S-Type with the hopes of avoiding some of the brake and transmission issues earlier model years had. I even purchased a "certified" car. Since Ford decided to intermingle Lincoln and Jaguar parts I did not feel I was purchasing an authentic S-Type by buying anything earlier than 2003. Well I was mistaken. Within 2 weeks of driving my 35,000 mile certified Jag I experienced this annoying squeeking of the brakes an a rubbing sound coming from my transmission. I took the car in and the dealerships reply was ridiculous. First they said the breaks squeeked because someone put non-jaguar pads on but they could correct this by replacing the entire break system for $1800. Second they said the rub was and I quote "No big deal, and common with the new transmission". They fixed the rubbing noise and well a month later it has returned. Now it feels like it is in the driveshaft area and is driving me crazy. Please any advice.
  • lbmarlowelbmarlowe Member Posts: 1
    New to the forum and bought my jag 1 year ago and having all the same problems everyone else is. Do you have any new news on your action against these problems? I have had 1 headache after another with my jag. Just curious.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry, but it seems that I've accidentally not been tracking this discussion for several months. The CarSpace Forums do not support calls for class-action suits. We would like to help you get your issues directly resolved if possible, but we do not provide a forum for solicitation for legal action.

Some posts have been belatedly removed.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at the address in my profile.

I apologize for not clarifying this sooner.

Pat, Sedans Host
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    if anyone has questions, please feel free to email me at the address in my profile. I'm sorry, but we can't continue to discuss this here.

Pat
  • jdhobsjdhobs Member Posts: 1
    I found this post somewhere else. It is the same issue i am having. Would anyone know if it is the Transmission or something else that could be wrong?
    Has anyone experienced the same? My 2000 s-type 3.0 tends to slip and the engine races intermittently. Had transmission drained and refilled once but still have the problem. Took it back to check level and color of fluid. That is OK. Over time I have noticed two interesting things regarding the occurences. First it seems to operate OK when it is cold, and worse when it is warm. For this reason I suspected something related to the viscosity of the fluid or perhaps an internal transmission pump or controller that weakens as the temperature rises. But then, I also noticed if I pull down on the shifter when it occurs, it seems to help. I did have the shift cable replaced beacause it had broken after parking on an incline. Since then, I have had some close calls getting the transmission stuck in park on an incline. This leads me to wonder if the cable might have stretched ever so slightly, and lengthens even more in warm weather. Could the indexing be off on the selector, and would this cause the slipping and racing of the engine previously mentioned? Thanks for any help with this.
  • isolde28465isolde28465 Member Posts: 7
    Unbelieveable. My Jag S-type (2000 3.0) is in the shop as well, for a transmission replacement. It has 63,000 miles on it. A week ago, the engine warning light came on and then the dreaded 'gearbox fault" warning. Not friendly. I was stunned when I was told the transmission needed to be replaced and even more so when the insurance company (on my extended warranty) only agreed to pay for a rebuilt transmission. The problems I've had with this car are legendary - a new ignition, a/c replacement and now, transmission issues. When my shop called a local Jaguar dealership, they were told there were six new transmissions sitting on the shelf in inventory. What does that tell you?
    Please feel free to contact Windows2vinyl@yahoo.com in regards to issues with the transmissions or anything else of importance in reference to S types for the years 1998 to 2003. This site has been very gracious in allowing some posts and do not want to cause any concern or issues for them. You will receive an email back with info. Thanks.
    The info you posted is an email address - not a website. Who handles the email address and what, if any, relationship do they have with Jaguar or these service problems? Thanks.
  • sacovingtonsacovington Member Posts: 2
    Wow. I have a 2000 S-Type with identical transmission issues. It's been to the dealer 4 times for transmission issues.

First, it was stuck in park on a *slight* incline. Ended up with a broken 'shift assembly' trying to get it out of park: $750. Took it back because it got stuck in park again, only this time i had someone bump my car up enough to get it out of park so I didn't break the 'shift assembly' again. They told me it was a short with the selinoid that releases the shift lever: $250. They have a warranty on their repairs, but since each trip to the shop magically revealed a different failed component, they were able to charge me for each and every repair.

Started seeing 'Gear Fault' warning on dash. Car intermittently would slip out of gear on the interstate, etc.; trouble engaging from Park to Drive.

Took it back again (BTW, I had problems immediately after getting it back from dealer), because it was shifting erratically; they also incorrectly wired the shift indicator so that it only illuminated when the brake pedal was pressed.

This time, was told that the shifting cable was coming apart, $360. When I came to pick it up, they explained that this latest repair 'made the problem better' but didn't fix it.

They say I need a new transmission altogether. UNBELIEVABLE. Could they not have determined this previously?? That's why I took it to the DEALERSHIP, rather than some generic repair shop. My car must have been the only one that this Jaguar 'mechanic' has ever worked on. Absolutely inept. I have never been so thoroughly appauled at the lack of service from the dealership for a "luxury" vehicle. Sadly, there is only ONE Jaguar dealership in my state. That's the ONLY reason they are still in business in my opinion.
    It is unbelievable. And maddening. I'm very worried about a rebuilt transmission, but that's all the warranty company would agree to pay for. A new Jaguar transmission is hugely expensive. It's amazing to me that Jaguar is not acknowledging this problem or correcting it, but Ford is trying to dump the brand to a company in India. Maybe that's why, but it sure doesn't help you, me or all the others who are suffering through this incredibly frustrating and costly repair.
  • ruben3651ruben3651 Member Posts: 1
    WOW ! I have just finished reading all your problems... I too have been dealing with my Jag problems. I just replaced the water pump, I have to change the oxygen sensors, not to mention my transmission has a problem changing gears, I got a " TRANSMISSION FAULT " warning sign and the car wouldn't change gears. The RPM's where @ 3 moving up to 4 and wouldn't drop. I got home safe but the next morning the car was fine. Anyone have this issue? Also I was told by a mechanic that Jags come with a 100,000 mile engine warranty, and that his friend brought up this issue to the dealer and they put in a NEW transmission even though his friend didn't buy the car at that dealer. Anyone know if this warranty thing is valid???

Thanks,

Ruben
    Boy, I don't know anything about a Jaguar transmission warranty to 100K miles! When the shop called the "local" Jaguar dealer in Charlotte, they didn't mention it. They did, however, have six new transmissions sitting in inventory!

I went with the rebuilt since that's all my warranty would pay for. So far, so good. But, I'm going to dump the car before the extended warranty expires in 2009. It breaks my heart because I really love this car. It still makes me smile, after 7 years.

Good luck!