Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    prob just need to retighen up the pan bolts
  • troll157troll157 Member Posts: 17
    One year old, shouldn't be leaking. (If) fluid is leaking from between pan, gasket and transmission - seal is breached. Fiber or cork gasket maybe snug bolts slightly. Should be under warranty, let the dealer deal with it.
    Anytime fluid gets between surfaces it helps to act as a vehicle causing more fluid to flow through the same breach, make sense?
    At one year - maybe 25k on the odometer, new filter wouldn't hurt anyway.
    Cheers!
    Check trans. fluid level, color and odor. Add if necessary and if fluid smells burnt, check it or have it checked,(maybe band burnt), possibly low level and clean battery terminals.
  • jullettjullett Member Posts: 2
    recently had transmission flush battery is good its yellow top optima battery my negative terminal is cracked
    could this resolve in poor connectivity or maybe i need alternater still original i also added lucas antislip transmission fluid it has 2020000km
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    it has 2020000 km

I think you put an extra digit in there! Either that or you have a VERY remarkable vehicle. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rrt1441rrt1441 Member Posts: 2
    I also have a new 2007 Grand Cherokee that has developed a transmission oil leak showing up on the bottom of the pan. The oil appears to be from the pan seal, but I am not sure. Do not see any fluid above the pan, just on the bottom of the pan and on the ground. I have 14,000 miles on the Jeep, and just noticed the fluid leak. Is this a common problem with the 2007 Jeep GC? Did tightening the pan bolts fix the problem?
    rrt1441
  • ee_gatoree_gator Member Posts: 2
    The description of your symptoms are basically what I am seeing. Actually after further inspection, I only noticed the oil from on one side (driver's side) of the pan. The other edges don't show any signs of leakage. This is my first Jeep GC, so I don't know if this is truly a common issue regarding transmission fluid leaks. My vehicle is also close to 14K miles.

I have not tightened the bolts because I don't know what the torque is. I could get a torque wrench to verify this, but then I am thinking that since I am still under warranty to have the dealer take care of this and get this over with. On the other hand, I am not afraid to get underneath the car and verify the torque, and if that doesn't solve it, to remove the pan, clean the old sealant off, and reinstall it with this Mopar RTV sealant I once picked up from the dealer which is specially formulated for use with transmission fluid. My take on this is that it can't be any more difficult than an oil change, which I do anyways, except for knowing the sequence of how to tighten the bolts back on. Guess I need to get a Chilton's car manual to find out.

ee_gator
    14k - I realize it may be difficult to be without your Jeep for a day, but, you really might consider letting the dealer take care of it. That's what warranties are for. Would be nice for them to know if a manufacturing process failed somewhere along the "line". (cracked pan, housing, bad batch of sealant etc.), may be need for recall or such.

Ya - RIGHT!

Crawl under that puppy and learn all you can about it. After all.......
    You never know when you'll have to make repairs, neck deep in snow, mud, weeds and such. If you repair it yourself, and KNOW that you done it correct, any more leaks you'll be able to eliminate THAT scenario. Take time, no short-cuts, and do it right.
    Oh ya, be careful & safe.

Cheers!
  • jeepcreep67jeepcreep67 Member Posts: 1
    hello to anyone who can help. my sons 94 grand cherokee will not go in reverse,but will move forward. when shifted into reverse there seems like there is a load on the engine,but car does not move no matter how much gas you give it. any ideas?????
  • niwdlabniwdlab Member Posts: 1
    2001 jeep grand cherokee - 4.0 engine - The transmission seemed to slip on rare occasions at about 20 MPH not on acceleration. The speed sensor light comes on but eventually goes off. My mechanic changed the speed sensor wires and then the speed sensor but nothing changed. Wet or damp weather my be part of the problem. Any ideas.
  • bishopstevebishopsteve Member Posts: 1
    no idea how to help you but have the same problem with daughters machine. hers is a 97 grand cherokee.
  • amberbamberb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 jeep grand cherokee, it drives fine but when stopped and left in park it rolls away with a jerking motion. Someone mentioned something about a parking pin in the transmission might be broke.....if anyone has any advise or suggestions that would be great.
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    Hi, I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L. We bought it used about a year ago and have a question. When you full throttle the engine, the RPMs don't go over 4,000. The maximum torque range for the engine is 3-4 thousand. It seems that the transmission is trying to keep it there. It shifts through 1st,2nd,3rd gear like that and then shifts down to the alternate second gear which bring the RPMs to 4500. Once the RPMs reach redline it shifts to 4th and 5th. Is this normal? I think maybe the TV cable needs to be adjusted. I tried reseting the computer but it still does it. Please help :sick:
  • ozofoeozofoe Member Posts: 2
    I have this exact problem with a 95 JGCL AWD 5.2L. 166K miles.

My trans shifts at high RPM's, and now I seem to have lost OD/4th gear entirely. It also seems to engage into reverse, gets a little momentum, and then loses reverse entirely. I've been parking up hill.

I've changed the filter/fluid, and then repeated after 15K miles. When I changed it last, there was a burned smell in the pan area.

I've been reading on here about Throttle position sensors, frozen sylanoids, etc. If you get it straightened out, post it. I am handy with the tools, but can't diagnose worth a sheet.

I love my snowmobile, often drive through the yard just to show off I can in a foot or so of snow. Want to get another 100K, without Trans replacement.
  • ozofoeozofoe Member Posts: 2
    I have this exact problem with a 95 JGCL AWD 5.2L. 166K miles.

My trans shifts at high RPM's, and now I seem to have lost OD/4th gear entirely. It also seems to engage into reverse, gets a little momentum, and then loses reverse entirely. I've been parking up hill.

I've changed the filter/fluid, and then repeated after 15K miles. When I changed it last, there was a burned smell in the pan area.

I've been reading on here about Throttle position sensors, frozen sylanoids, etc. If you get it straightened out, post it. I am handy with the tools, but can't diagnose worth a sheet.

I love my snowmobile, often drive through the yard just to show off I can in a foot or so of snow. Want to get another 100K, without Trans replacement.
    in service manual looks as if you want to change the tps (throtal position switch first as that is the easeyest to do)

I will try to figure it out. I too don't want to have to replace the tranny at only 139000 miles.
  • hooyahguyhooyahguy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 JGC Limited with the 5.2L V8 with 150k miles. Recently the tranny has been idling rough and jumping in and out of gear when im at a stop but in drive. I was thinking it may be the torque converter but im not sure since its 4wd. Anybody else have this problem or know what might be going on?
  • singleytoolssingleytools Member Posts: 5
    1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2. I was pulling a trailer up the hill and I noticed that the transmission wasn't dropping to a lower gear and had a slight shudder. It bogged down to about 15 mph when a neighbor flagged me down that flames were coming from under the Jeep. Opening the hood they were coming up behind the engine. We were able to put the fire out with snow and I let it cool down and it ran again to drive the mile to my house.

Is this a problem with the transmission or transfer case? I dropped it down in to 4X low but I still wasn't getting the low-end torque. A similar problem happened 2 weeks ago and then I noticed that putting it into low gear going down hill did not slow the Jeep down much. Thanks...Sing
  • wamp7wamp7 Member Posts: 1
    My 94 JGC is doing the exact same thing today. When it's in park, it starts rolling slowly, even if you leave the emergency break on. Did you ever figure out what it is? I had my transmission rebuilt 2 years ago, and the warranty just expired last month.
  • singleytoolssingleytools Member Posts: 5
    I'm pretty sure there is a recall for your slipping problem. I'm not sure how that works with one that has been rebuilt...Sing
  • 8388stang8388stang Member Posts: 1
    anyone with advice i am open
    well i got in my 2003 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 auto and it didnt want to shift out of first gear tried to do it manually still didnt work never showed any previous problems
    I'm sure that the transmission was overheating badly. Automatic transmissions don't like to overheat. When they do, there can be band failure (bands engage gears), hardened seals, and varnish build up. I have seen many Jeeps that have automatic transmissions on fire because of an overheating transmission. You were lucky to put out the fire. Sadly, you have to pay for a transmission rebuild. If you ever do towing or offroading, I suggest you install a transmission cooler.
  • canucanu Member Posts: 2
    First post here,I have a tranny problem,seems that the car engine revs up
    really high put only moves slow,rpms go up but no love.I have checked
    the trans fluid (ok) Jeep acts like the parking break is on while moving
    foward or in reverise...any ideas?
  • canucanu Member Posts: 2
    By reading alot of pages here sounds to me like a bad TPS could be
    a good start and check.
  • jeepgrl34jeepgrl34 Member Posts: 8
    Got a 99 Jeep GCL.....have had many issues with her recently :( 98,000 miles ,took into garage to look at this steaming or smoking thing that has progressively gotten more and more frequent over the last 3 months.Sometimes with no rhyme or reason (except that my vehicle is running and in parked position)this white smoke will come creeping out from under the hood.Spouse has checked it out several times with hood up says it appears to becoming from transmission cooler not radiator.No odor noted to it.Garage guys checked it out today and said they cant see any problem with it and that it is snow getting up in there (i live in Ohio where it does snow frequently in winter but i swear i see this smoke even on days when its not snowy)
    Reason i am worried about this is cuz i just sunk(yes,sunk!) almost 2000.00 on a rebuilt transmission on it about 7 months ago and a friend mentioned to me if the transmission cooler has a blockage than it could cause the transmission to overheat and ruin it,which would not be cool at all.Before i pick it up i would love to have some advice from you all,something maybe my mechanic is missing????Thanks
  • machmikemachmike Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 that has started doing the same thing. I purchased a scanner. It is a must. My codes came up P 1784 and P1732. Neither of these codes is listed in any manual or website. Even Actron, the maker of the scanner, does not show on it on their web site. However, the scanner itself identifies each code as the pressure switch circuit. From that other codes will pop up like P0731 thru 0736. Those stand for incorrect gear ratios probably caused by the pressure switch circuit not functionally properly. My symptoms are identical to yours. In the begining I used to reset the MIL and all was good. Now, I only have 1st,2nd and reverse. Fluid has nothing to do with our problem. I beleive it is electrical. I just moved to NC from MI so I lost my mechanic that could have fixed the problem. At least you know the code now so you can tell a shop. I need to find one because I need my ride.
    sounds as if solonoid pack inside trans is bad not to hard to change
  • machmikemachmike Member Posts: 8
    Is this something I should trust the dealer with or should I find a shop?
  • sulleesullee Member Posts: 1
    I am getting a check engine light the code I am getting is P1767 (transmission relay always on) can not find any info to check or fix issue
  • harley192001harley192001 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 94 153,000 miles slips shifting from first to 2nd and then third as well at what rpms should this be shifting around 1500? at what point should it shift to over drive it seem to want to do this around 32 miles perhour it seems if you back off orf it it shift a little easier i saw something about a recall will they fix it for free still with that or has it exspired ? any ifo would help thax harley... :sick:
  • kristinejkristinej Member Posts: 1
    I was recently driving my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee limited after stopping for fuel it drove about 50 feet then stalled. I was able to get it restarted and drive a few more feet with it, then it stalled again. I got it to restart. It would go into and out of park but there seems to be no other gears. Is it possible a bolt came off in the transmission. What would be other possibilities that could cause this problem.
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    I am fixing up my old 97 for my kid to drive. 4.0L I6, 2WD, auto, about 160K. It was idle for 6 months. Serviced fluid and filter. It shifts better. A tiny bit of slip once in a while.

When stopped at a light I can feel a lot of vibration. Moving selector from Drive to Neutral significantly reduces it. Except for this, still drives and rides nice, but the vibration is annoying. Accelerates and cruises OK.

At first, I thought it was rough idle, but now I don't think so. No significant fluid leaks anywhere that I can see. Can someone give me a clue? I know what to look for when I inspect the brakes, but I don't know how to inspect the transmission and engine mounts. Could engine idle really be that sensitive?

Thanks in advance.
  • sylvesterjonsylvesterjon Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 V6 Grand Cherokee with 36,000 miles on it. I have had it in the shop a few times for this problem but I had no luck. It seems when the car is going around 40 - 50 mph and starts up a small hill the rpms stay around 1500 and the car shudders and jerks slightly. If I step on the gas the problem goes away but once i try to hold a constant speed it returns always at 1500 rmp. This problem seems to be getting worse. My miles per gallon is also going down.

So my question, Is this just the transmision being in too high of a gear? Could be cause by something else?

I have changed the airfilter and added fuel injector cleaner. The dealership has told me they can't reproduce the problem and they have updated the transmission sequence? my next step is to take them for a drive myself but they seem to not care much about the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions to look into... a cracked spark plug?
  • jeepsickjeepsick Member Posts: 7
    Hi. I hate to tell you this.............but as of yet, I haven't got a straight answer or fix from jeep! We have had them replace the torque converter four times (hasn't changed a thing). They keep thinking that its the torque converter. The jeep hasn't done a lot of driving lately so I haven't had to many issues. The shudder you describe has been happening since we bought it. I still believe its a bigger problem with the 05-07 jeeps. Good luck.........and sorry...........
    When the torque converter fails, it usually destroys the rest of the transmission. Especially with the 545RFE tranny.
  • sylvesterjonsylvesterjon Member Posts: 2
    well it goes in the shop in 2 days and I have to take them for a ride just to prove it has a problem. It seems to be getting worse, so maybe I will get lucky and they will come up with something. Thanks for the comments back and I will be looking forward to them coming up with the idea to replace the torque converter.
  • devildoll812devildoll812 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I own a 99 jeep cherokee sport that makes a clunking sound sometimes when it switches gears. I don't know the last time the transmission fluid has been changed could that be the problem?
  • jdeaner1jdeaner1 Member Posts: 1
    my has a 2000 jeep grand cherokee larado.it would stall pereodically while driving . we found the problem to be the timimg positioning sensor .
  • boazbezboazbez Member Posts: 14
    I have a '97 Jeep GCL with 145K miles. Occasionally it slips a little and sometimes when I'm stopped it will start to run rough then the engine will smooth out and the car will jerk as if I just got bumped from the rear.

I've had the car since it had 36K miles, but I have never replaced the tranny fluid or filter. Will doing this resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance.
  • vstruckvstruck Member Posts: 4
    We just bought a used 99 jeep cherokee classic, 4.0, When we test drove it it seemed fine. After less than 20 miles the transmission started acting up. It goes down the highway fine. But at a slow take off or rolling idle it seems to shift up and down repeatedly, give it gas and it seems to do fine. Its exspecially noticable when taking off at a stop. it acts like it shift up down down up. We were on a back road today driving along at a speed of just a couple miles an hour and it started it. It does not seem to be slipping but just shifting through all three gears back and fourth. Any ideas please :sick: :confuse:
  • tonyrob11tonyrob11 Member Posts: 1
    I am the new owner of a used 1994 Cherokee Sport 4.0, in-line 6, auto. I got it for a great price but now I'm concerned. When I drive it at around 30 mph I start to hear a rattling sound which seems to be coming from under the car. I gets louder and speeds up as I accelerate and dies down as I slow down. Its not heard when the car is at a complete stop. After doing some research I've learned that this could be the chain in the transfer case rattling and all I need is gearbox fluid. Does anyone know if this is a solution for this(rather noticeable) rattling problem or is this the symptom of something bigger?

Is "gearbox oil" similar to tranny fluid? and where does it go?

Please help, I'm usually pretty good with regular maintenance issues but this is my first 4WD and I am a bit lost.
    have you got under the jeep and looked thinges over? post after you checked things out under the jeep (wiggle the drive shalfs and see if loose stuff like that chain in transfer dose not go bad as a rule
    how maney miles
    dose the trans oil on the check stick smell burnt? does it have the right amount of oil?
    if the previous oner had it changed or changed it him self could have put in the wrong type if he used dextron bad news
    I would tahe to trans place and have them change the oil and flush it out put in right oil
    My 99 has 121,000. Oil dont smell burnt. What fluid should be in it. Can I flush it somehow ore is this a tranny shop thing. If Dexrron was used will it hurt it, Thanks
    update on my 99 cherokee with shifting problem. I drove it this morning to work it was cool and rainy. It shifted fine. it seems to start acting up after you get it warmed up. then it has the shifting up and down at low rpms
  • stick0419stick0419 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 99 GC Laredo 4X4 with a 42RE transmission that is having trouble automatically shifting into gears and I have to wind out gear put it in neutral and back in D to get correct gear. I have found a heavy duty version of the 42RE at Trasnmission Exchange for about $1700 w/ core and shipping. Main question is it a bear to change trasmission oneself or should I bring it to a transmission specialist. I dont mind turning a wrench but will I loose hair trying to get it changed out myself.
  • dflippodflippo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 JGC Limited 4x4. My tranny ahs been great. No slipping,stalling,or weird anything has been going on. I go in to eat, come out an hour later and my tranny won't switch gears. It seems like it is stuck in 1st or second. I look at the manual and it says to reset the "sensor" so I do just that and it works...for 2 miles and than does the same thing. A gentleman told me that the jeep tranny is electric and the sensor is telling the tranny to run on a different gear range to keep the transmission from being damaged. What is the issue????

I have taken it to one place who said it woudl be 1500.00 jsut to open the tranny to see what was wrong. I am a chick and dont knwo to much. Any help?????
  • boazbezboazbez Member Posts: 14
    A gentleman told me that the jeep tranny is electric and the sensor is telling the tranny to run on a different gear range to keep the transmission from being damaged. What is the issue????

It may be the Throttle Position Sensor which tells whether you are looking for more power from the engine.

I have taken it to one place who said it woudl be 1500.00 jsut to open the tranny to see what was wrong. I am a chick and dont knwo to much. Any help???

I think a new tranny should cost that much, not checking it out. Try a different place.
  • stick0419stick0419 Member Posts: 7
    I have same problems and I found a new trans from txchange.com. I talked to spencer there and he was extremely helpfull. Their # is 800-776-1191. I am going to order the new transmission and have someone help put it in my Grand Cherokee