Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Jetta Electrical Problems

Comments

• triggr4triggr4 Member Posts: 1
    I have been having some of the same problems. doors lock and unlock fine. however just driving along and the door warning light in dash comes on and all interior lights as well. open and shut door and it stops. do i need a new door sensor? only happens to drivers door.
    help anyone? :confuse: ">
  • shmeghshmegh Member Posts: 1
    Where is the comfort control module located on a 2003 Jetta??
  • noizmaakanoizmaaka Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2000 Jetta gl, it didnt have a factory cd/radio deck inside, previous owner had a JVC cd deck. I was changing the deck and installing a new cd deck(sony) I notice i needed a new adapter for the deck. So no deck in the car, i drove to advance auto parts to see if they had one, car started up and went, when i reached the store and ready to come back to the car. the alarm wouldn't disarm to open the doors up, i tried useing the key manuely to open it, it didn't work either. I was wondering, if the anti-theft system has somthing to do with it? does anyone have some advise, how i can open my doors up?? I also replace the battery in the remoter, it still doesn't work
  • mnpcanmnpcan Member Posts: 1
    i have 92 jetta tdi low voltage and dragging alternator down . had alt tested its fine new actually fuses good . need an idea of where to start checking .
  • peachy0863peachy0863 Member Posts: 1
    Do you have a specific fix for the issues that you have had? I have a 2003 Jetta, the radio has been replaced twice and is starting to go again.

My engine light came on last year and I had to replace the serpentine belt and the thermostat. I was out of warranty by this time and spent ~$400. Two weeks ago my air went out and had to replace the fuse assembly for another $400. Now it is back in the shop again because the engine light came on. I am afraid now that it's paid off that the car will start nickel and diming me if I don't get VW to admit to an electrical problem!
  • skyguy88skyguy88 Member Posts: 1
    My engine light kept turning on and I replaced the O2 sensor. It hasn't come on since. I here its common for them to fail after 50,000 miles
  • ankur_s2ankur_s2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

you may not believe, I won a 2007 Jetta with 15000 miles on it, yesterday when I was driving on the highway, stop at a red light the engine starrted behaving somehow WIRED. The engine light came on and the Battery light too, for no good reason.
    I do take my car for the 5K, 10K and 15K service to the VW dealer. Now I think, the electrical circuit of VW may not be good.

Thanks,
  • harriganepharriganep Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2005 jetta. the passenger parking light and tail light will not go out. any advice?
    thanks
  • kattmarlkattmarl Member Posts: 1
    Hello there!
    I have an 04 Jetta which seems to be having the same problem. I put the key in, turn the ignition and get nothing. The lights blink, the dash ABS, OIL lights come on, and the starter click, click clicks, but no joy. When I press the brake key, I notice the gear selector light turns off and I hear a click, but that's it.
    Did you have any luck? what did you try?
    Thanks!
    kattmarl
  • enkenenken Member Posts: 3
    What was wrong with my 99 Jetta was the keyless entry. It would send out a signal to the engine not to start - don't ask me why. When they put a new one in, my car would start everytime.
  • brigid_fitchbrigid_fitch Member Posts: 1
    All,
    I have a 2006 Jetta 2.5 with 88K miles. Over the past 2 weeks, I've had to get a jump twice to get the car started. Once jumped, she purrs along as if there weren't a thing wrong. The first time she was jumped, she started right up and I had no issues for over a week. The 2nd time was this afternoon.

Both times, the car had only been driven 1/2 mile or less the day before & then sat for about 20 hours. Battery light never comes on, so I don't think it's a battery/alternator problem. It sounds like it could be a short or at least something putting a drain on the battery, but there are no sensor indicators of anything wrong.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    It could be the battery one of the cells might be dying off.
  • vwdawgvwdawg Member Posts: 162
    Hello Jetta aficionados:
    My 99 Jetta 3 Wolfsburg with 115,000 miles has been having intermittant problems with the instrument cluster. The tach and speedo stopped functioning occasionally, and now have gotten worse (fuel and other guages ALWAYS work fine) Tach/speedo will work only about one out of every 20 or 25 starts. My VW mechanic removed the cluster and put in a different one as a test replacement, and it worked. He advised he could put in a new one for about $400, but the new one would start out with zero miles on the odo. He said there are a couple of companies that you can mail the cluster to and they can repair for about $150, but that means I would have fuel, temp or oil gauges for a couple of weeks (not sure if the vehicle will even start without the cluster). Anyone have any ideas regarding the specific problem or possible solutions?

Thanks!
  • ral93ral93 Member Posts: 1
    insert the ignition key on the drivers side and turn left and hold for about 10 sec.This will disactivate the alarm,windows should roll down aswell.Let me know if this works.
  • billyumsmrsbillyumsmrs Member Posts: 1
    I had a stereo installer do some minor work and he has connected my radio wire around and around a fuse. My automatic door locks and electric mirrors dont work and the abs and brake light stays on, so I disconnected my radio. Now I dont have a radio and still have these problems. Any clues?
  • 88jrnation88jrnation Member Posts: 1
    Love my Jetta up until the Temp out side gets in high 90"s which is almost all summer here in Alabama. Problem: when I'm driving air running on fan speed of 3 and I push in the clutch to come to a stop or turn, the engine dies, it never does it unless the air is running and the fan is blowing on 3. It will start back up with no problem but this is not normal. Any suggestions other than don't run the air fan on 3 and 4.
  • ohiostyleohiostyle Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Jetta, with the exact same problem. really need an answer to this one. This isn't anything that should require a dealership. Someone please help.
  • albert22albert22 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know what happened but it seems the anti theft went off and now, after I repaired the transmission and fixed the door handle of the driver's side, it just won't start. I have a baby coming and I need my car, if anyone could help, I'll really appreciated.
  • vwinvavwinva Member Posts: 71
    No longer works after my mechanic disconnected the battery while making repairs. When I turn the radio on I get "MUTE" in the LCD. Checked the manual - nothing about this. No mute button on the console Anybody else had this problem?
  • chris96chris96 Member Posts: 4
    sounds like when you put the door handle in that it may need to be reprogramed at the dealer since when you unlock the door with the key it sets the alarm and deacivates it you may want to check there !!!! does it crank over ? does it have spark ?
  • traci2traci2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I am having the same problem with my 2001 Jetta. My battery keeps getting drained as well and it is only 2 years old. I am curious to know if you found out the problem?
  • albert22albert22 Member Posts: 2
    I managed to contact my son and he told me that there was a fuse responsible for the car's electronics and he told me to disconnect it and wait one minute; then connect it back, and it worked. He told me that that would reset the computer (ECU). :shades:
  • doverovrdoverovr Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 92 Jetta. It does not have power locks. Whenever you open the driver door, it beeps like the key is in the ignition. Does this drain the battery? Also, we replaced the ignition switch but it did not stop the beeping and now the horn doesn't work. The fuse system is quite confusing but it appears all the fuses are fine.
    Thanks for your help.
  • deedeeteedeedeetee Member Posts: 2
    I had a similar problem in my 97 Jetta GLS 2.0 after I (very foolishly) cleaned
    part of the engine with a hose. The dealer determined that a switch in the radiator fan
    was stuck in "high power" mode, even with the engine off and the fan not turning.
    This was placing a drain on the battery.
  • deedeeteedeedeetee Member Posts: 2
    This problem started in about year 3 when I had the oem stereo (basic non-Bose version). It's continued even though I installed a new Pioneer cd unit.

Frequently the stereo loses power and cuts out, but will always come back on
    as soon as I switch the iginition off. This happens under 2 circumstances:
    1) the car has been sitting in the sun and is hot.
    2) when I hit a bump, even a small one. This is much rarer than 1), which
    happens nearly 100% of the time in hot weather.

I've checked and reseated the fuse multiple times, as well as quadruple-checking
    the connections for the stereo's wiring harness.

This sounds like a relay-related problem, since switching the ignition off
    restores power every time - I doubt it would work like that if it was a loose wire.

I would appreciate any ideas before paying Al & Ed's to diagnose the problem.
  • bobcatmatbobcatmat Member Posts: 3
    On my 2000 Jetta, the high beams don't seem to work. The low beams / daytime running lights work fine, but I don't notice any difference when I switch the high beams on. I do notice the high beams come on when I "flash" them (by pulling the lever in towards me). Moreover, the high beam indicator stays on permanently. I replaced the halogen bulbs about 1 year ago. Is this an electrical problem? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
    Hello All:
    My '99 Jetta III instrument cluster was misbehaving. The tach and speedo failed to work almost all the time (they did work maybe once every 25 starts), while the other gauges (fuel, temp, clock, etc.) worked normally. When my mechanic said he could install a new cluster for about $450, I balked, and called the local auto recyclers for a used one. I found one from a '97 Golf, which is supposed to be the same cluster, and plugged it in. Now, everything works, but for some odd reason, the airbag indicator light stays on. I would assume that something wouldn't actually malfunction with the airbags by coincidence, so something in the replacement cluster is causing this. Anyone have any suggestions regarding the airbag light (or with the original malfunction of the tach and speedo)? Thanks!
  • pepperman1pepperman1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 Polo, it is the european version of the jetta. I lost the keys to the car. I took it to a shop and they put a new VW ignition switch on it but the cars computer will not recognize the key. How can i fix this or bypass this system? I am on an island in the caribbean and there is no VW dealership around. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
  • dashtorontodashtoronto Member Posts: 1
    hey,

I have a 1995 Jetta.

I'm guessing there's only one model of Jetta's made in 1995 because that's the year it says on the Owner's manual.

anyways,

the car alarm system goes off ALL THE TIME. It's so annoying. You open the door, with the key and it goes off. Why would it go off when you open the door with the key??

My question is, how does one turn off a car alarm. I know you have to enter the code. But I'm not sure the sequence that you must follow to turn it off.

You have to press MODE and then punch in the number, but its not that easy...

you have to press 1 and 1 twice for 11, because there's no 11 button.

Thats why i get confused.

can anyone tell me the sequence you're supposed to follow when shutting off the alarm. I'm pretty sure my brother knows the code.

Thanks.
  • zapper66zapper66 Member Posts: 1
    Help!!! I need to find the exact location of the cls fuse for a volkswagen 2002 jetta vr6. The owners manual does not show the exact fuse location for this in the fuse box.
  • redfearn_jcredfearn_jc Member Posts: 1
    I have an 01 Jetta. Recently, when i turn on the left hand blinker, it blinks really fast, much faster than normal, but the right is ok. i noticed that the left tail blinker bulb is out. does anyone know where the blinker fuse is?

Thanks
    Hello redfearn jc: I previously owned an '01 Jetta, and I don't think you need to be concerned about the fuse. My recollection is that the reason the left signal is blinking fast is specifically to warn you that the signal bulb is burned out. I think if you replace the bulb, the blinker speed will return to normal. On the other hand, if you do need to access a fuse, the panel is on the left side face of the dash. Insert a small screwdriver into the slot on the bottom edge of the panel cover and pop it off. The challenge then is that each fuse is labeled with a symbol, and some of the symbols are a bit cryptic. I think you can google "jetta fuse panel" and access some descriptions of what the symbols mean. Good luck! vwdawg
  • dipper05dipper05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Jetta, the other day the car just turned off and said battery was dead, later on in the day it started fine and drove fine. The next day it happened again and the ECP light came on, since then the engine light has come on...

Any idea's are greatly appreciated
  • bobcatmatbobcatmat Member Posts: 3
    In my past experience (2000 Jetta TDI), when I had similar and intermittent Check Engine light turning on/off, it turned out that the battery was near the end of its life -- the voltage levels were borderline for sufficient operation. I would recommend having the battery checked as a first step.
  • andrea45andrea45 Member Posts: 15
    I bought an 03 Jetta 6 mo ago & the check engine light has been on & off ever since. I just had a diagnostic done & it came up w/2 possible problems; it's either the control fan module or the temp sensor. We replaced the temp sensor & it tests fine. Just had the control fan module replaced & it was fine the first day, but the check engine light just came back on! UGH!! I supposed I should have taken my car to a VW mechanic, maybe they would be more familiar w/this problem..it seems to be a quite common problem..at tleast w/the 03 model's. Can anyone tell me what the problem could possibly be?? I have to pass DEQ & only have 2 wks before my tags expire. (you cant run your car through DEQ & pass if the check engine light is on) Which is totally stupid because it passed the emissions part of the test. Help!!!
    Andrea: I own or have owned five VWs and an Audi over the last five-six years. Sounds like you used a "general repair" shop for diagnosis. Not a bad idea considering that most VW dealers are charging $125-150 per hour. However, many VW and Audi issues require a special diagnostic setup called a "VAG", which can pinpoint the problem quickly and more accurately. You don't have to use a dealer, but probably at least a shop that specializes in VW, Audi or German autos (you still might pay $100-125 per hour). First, however, you should check into bobcatmat's suggestion regarding the battery. Good luck... VW Dawg
  • vw_owner12vw_owner12 Member Posts: 1
    hello, I own a 2000 4 cyl. jetta and it has a dead battery nearly everyday. I have replaced the battery and had it and the alternator checked and they are ok. There must be a slow drain somewhere is there one system I should check on first?
    thanks,
    Hi VW Dawg, thanks for the advise..ill call around & see if I can possibly get in to see a VW/German auto mechanic. I replaced my battery a few month's ago, so im pretty sure that's not the problem. If I had known Jetta's were so touchy, I wouldn't have bought one! But at least I got my car through DEQ, so now it's just to get this problem fixed & then sell it. Im too afraid to hold onto it much longer, probably continual problems. It's a shame too, because German car's are usually really nice veh's...I appreciate your help! Thanks!...Andrea
  • jbrantleyjbrantley Member Posts: 2
    just today we were driving and when I used the turn signal, it just kept on making the sound it makes. you know, the ticking sound. although it was at a faster pace and at different timing. then it would stop. next time i used the signal it would continue to make the noise. then it would stop. for just a little while then sporadic ticking. is this an easy fix or something difficult.
    thanks
    joe
    Andrea: You are very welcome. Personally, as the owner of three Jettas and a Passat in recent years, I would say "Don't give up on your Jetta so soon!". With my '99, '01 and '05 Jettas, I have to say that I have had very minimal problems. I do most of my own work, though, so that makes my repairs considerably less painful. Jettas are basically fun cars to drive and pretty economical over the long run. As with any brand, there are occasional lemons, but I think if you got to know a good VW shop that seems trustworthy and reasonably priced, you would end up being quite happy with your vehicle. Good luck, whatever you end up doing. vwd
    Joe: Check both the front and rear turn signal bulbs on your vehicle. If the signal is ticking rapidly on one side, it could be a burned out signal bulb on that side. If it is happening for both signals, I'm thinking it could be a defective flasher unit. I can't remember where the flasher unit would be on your car, but just google "flasher location" and the make/model of your car, and you will probably find an Edmunds or Bentley reference. Good luck...vwd
    Ok VWD...since youve been so helpful, I have another question for you:) If I take my car to a VW service mechanic & I pay yet another mechanic to run a diagnostic on my car, could he possibly come up with a different list of problems than the previous mechanic? I just hate to keep forking out all this money that I dont have, to get the same laundry list of possible problems. And if they get the same list, im really in trouble because weve already tried a new fan control module & temp sensor control. I think that's all that was on my diagnostic report. My husband thinks it could possibly be a temperature problem, but he's not really sure himself. While driving, it sometimes takes longer than 3-4 minutes to get the temp up to 190. Most of the time it takes about 4 min, but there are times it takes longer. Another question for you, do you think I should take my car to a VW dealer mech or do you think it would be better to take it to a mech that specializes in VW/German auto's? Sorry, I know im a pain, but this is all so overwhelming! Wanna buy a car ?? :) :lemon:
    Hi Andrea: As long as we're getting into extended conversations, my real name is David. I have benefitted several times from the knowledge of other VW owners (who know a LOT more than I do), so I certainly don't mind trying to help you. Did I mention the "VAG" diagnostic equipment that a VW/Audi specialty repair shop SHOULD have? I took my Passat in last year to a shop that does general repair, (a GOOD shop, by the way). They do NOT have the VAG, and their diagnostic tool showed about TWELVE different possibilities. Being very ethical, they told me they did not want to proceed because they would essentially have to go through the list of items one by one, and they might end up installing several different parts and a lot of labor before finding the actual problem. They said I should go to a VW specialty shop and get a VAG diagnostic done. I did this, and the VAG pinpointed the exact problem immediately. This shop charged $125/hour, but worth it. I wouldn't suggest that your original shop was being dishonest, but I suspect that they might have been in over their heads. It doesn't seem right to put expensive parts and labor into your car without being absolutely sure this was the problem. All it did was sour your attitude toward what might be a very fine vehicle. In summary, I would say that for most VW repairs (brakes, AC service, normal tuneups, suspension, exhaust, etc.), a general repair garage is absolutely fine. However, when it comes to "check engine" problems, I would restrict my service work to a VW/Audi specialist. To further expand on this, I personally don't like to take my vehicles into dealerships. I'm not saying that they don't do fine work, it's just that they charge very high rates and I think if you look at the forums, a lot of owners suggest there is a certain arrogance, particularly among the German auto dealerships (also, you'll never actually get to know your tech, usually never even SEE him/her). My advice would be to find a good, trustworthy VW specialty garage in your area to perform your diagnostics (talk to other VW and Audi owners...they'll be happy to refer you if they know of a good one), one with which you can establish a strong RELATIONSHIP. I believe this is the key to having a happy experience with your VW. Your husband might be correct on the temperature situation, although four minutes doesn't seem too far out of line to me. Don't give up on your Jetta just yet...take it to a good shop wilth a VAG and let me know what happens. David
    Thank you David, I do appreciate your help & knowledge. I did ask my mechanic last night if they use a VAG system to diagnose & was surprised to hear they did.(hmmm) They also said they have some other German diagnostic system as well. (Im not so certain I believe them). Its kind of funny, because yesterday they were supposed to remove the new fan control module & when I picked up my veh, they said the "cleaning person" accidentaly tossed out my old fan control module, so they left the new one in my veh, free of charge!! (im pretty sure they just didn't want to have to remove the new fan) They also did not charge me for labor! So all I had to pay was the $89. diagnostic fee. They had previously stated that the fan was a pain in the rear to get to & install. At any rate, you have given me some ammo as far as VW mechanics & I think I will call a local VW/German mech. We have a couple in our area & I feel better about seeing them than a dealer. As you stated, this is most likely a better idea. OK, im not going to give up on my Jetta just yet:) youve made me believe I should have some faith & so I will give it one more try before raising the flag...Thanks again! :sick:
    Good Morning, Andrea: Glad to hear you seem to be making some headway on this whole process and most of all, that you are open to giving your Jetta another chance. Also nice to hear that the mechanic has backed off on most of the parts and labor charges. I have to give them some credit for that, but the story about the "cleaning person" seems a bit fishy. I also wanted to relay another tidbit about VAGs. I had lunch yesterday with a friend of mine, an Audi freak (owns five Audis, and it's only he and wife!). He is also a techie, and owns his own VAG (he's going to hook it up to my Passat next week...I have my own "check engine" problem right now). He told me that even the VAGs occasionally provide more than one code, as the car's computer will sometimes "store" one or more previous codes, and those codes can show up when the VAG is hooked up. So...maybe your current tech was being straight with you after all. In the end though, I think it's still a good idea to use a VW or import specialty garage for diagnostic work. Also, don't hesitate to use the Edmunds (and Bentley Publishers) forums when you have a problem...as I said earlier, there are MANY helpful and knowledgeable folks there that put novices like me to shame! Let me know what happens, and good luck...I hope your Jetta turns out to be a gem after all! David
    Good morning David, Well, the birds are singing & the cherry blossom trees are blooming here in Oregon..so it must be a good day right? :) Sorry to hear yout Passat is sick...I hope you get your cel problem figured out! Im tempted to just put duck tape over the light & ignore it, but now im so curious as to what the problem will be, it's actually turning out to be a fun challenge to see what they find out. OK, maybe not "fun", but my curiousity is getting the best of me now! Your friend sounds like an avid Audi nut...I love Audi's & would prefer one over a Jetta for sure....maybe someday:) One other thing I found interesting about my car is that when you turn the heat on high, the temp of the car goes down..so im wondering if it couldn't be a the thermostat that might be the problem..i'll mention that when I take it in to the mech.. Im just now waiting for the cel light to come back on & then i'll take my car in. Again, I appreciate your humble knowledge & continue to look forward to your thoughts. Thank you David! :D
    Hi Andrea: It's an equally awesome day in the Twin Cities...brilliant sunshine and pushing 70, which is for us incredible after a dreary, cold, windy Spring. Not many cherry trees here...we look for the crocus and tulip shoots as our official sign. I haven't been to Oregon for many, many years, although I SAW Oregon about three years ago. Specifically, Mount Hood, from a glacier at the 9,000 foot level of Mount Rainier...a "peak life experience", no pun intended. Yes, Audis are beautiful automobiles, but even more temperamental than any VW I've ever owned. Unless you do your own work, I think they are best suited to a person who can buy new, then trade in for a new one after 75-85k miles. I've replaced my radiator, timing belt and most of the front suspension on my A4 in the last year (only 90k miles), and if I didn't do my own work, I couldn't afford it. Glad you are giving the Jetta another chance. Keep me posted, I'm curious, too! Later, David
    Hi David-So Minnesota?? burrrrr :) I hear its beautiful there. No wonder your ECL is lit up..it's freezing cold!!!!!!!! :)Supposed to be 75 here this weekend...Wow, Mt Rainier huh?-site seeing perhaps? Good to know Audis are more difficult that Jetta's...that's the last thing I need is one more thing to try to take care of. My son's pretty good w/cars, but he's in Iraq right now, taking care of more important matters I hope:) If I knew how to work on them, I would get one though, because I think their beautiful cars. Hope your enjoying your day..im playing hookie & working in the yard...talk soon.. Andrea :shades:
    Hi David- yay! I got an apt for Tue. w/German Autowerks...which appears to be a great repair shop...Never thought I would be excited to get my car in for repairs! I'll keep you posted..thanks again... Andrea :D
    Hi Andrea: Sounds great...I hope they can resolve the problem right away so you can move on and ENJOY driving your Jetta instead of having to worry about it. Let me know how it goes! David