Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry that you have had to make 4 trips in to the dealership for this no-start concern, durajunk. Have you worked with Customer Assistance before? If we can look into this further, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current address, and the name of your involved dealership. We will set up a Service Request for you and follow up with your dealership, to begin.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • catfishgregbcatfishgregb Member Posts: 1
    Did you get this resolved? I have what appears to be the same problem...most of the time my truck starts without issue...however, I sometimes experience a period of starting problems exactly as you described...turn the key and nothing...turn again numerous times and eventually I'll get power to starter and it will fire up no problem. This has been going on intermittingly since Oct 2009. Once this problem starts it will continue intermittingly for several days and then go away for weeks at a time...no relationship to hot or cold engine/ how long it sits before again having an issue.
    We're sorry to see that you're also having some issues with starting your vehicle; if you wanted for us to check into warranty or recall information on your truck, please email us a description of the situation as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com
    All the best,
    Sarah - GM Customer Service
  • durajunkdurajunk Member Posts: 3
    No we have not... it seems ours has this problem when outside temp is warmer. About 75 degrees and up. Have had problems all weekend and Im really getting fed up. Havent heard back from GM customer service since emailing our info, it seems with all the people on this forum having this problem someone should know something!
  • slane9436slane9436 Member Posts: 1
    Ok so I started researching this little problem my truck recently started having, seems that there's a lot of GM customers that aren't exactly satisfied for the same reasons. About 2 months ago my 2006 sierra 1500 extended cab (babied 89,000 miles) decided not to start. The electronics would turn on, as well as the a/c but the engines wouldn't turn over. After about 10 tries the truck started fine and drove fine (except for the door locks occasionally trying to relock themselves). All was well until the same thing happened last night, leaving me stranded with no way to work. The battery is new. The electronics turn on except my locks. All the door electronics fail to work, even the keyless entry is useless. Im really skeptical about bringing it to the dealership or mechanic, because it seems as though no one has had any luck in fixing the issue and they have just wasted money (a luxury I don't have at the moment). Does any one have any new advice? It doesn't seem as though GM customer service doesnt have much to offer from what I've seen. It's a little scary, nobody has any idea what the hell is going on. I'm not a mechanic by any means but shouldnt the makers have some idea....? I guess for now I'm going to pray its starts everytime I go somewhere. :mad: :mad:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Since it's only the engine and the locking system that aren't functioning in these situations, it sounds like it could be an anti-theft system malfunction... the kill switch may be shorting - do you happen to have such a system?

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • cujo1599cujo1599 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar issue. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. At random times the truck will not start. All dash lights, power locks, lights, etc do not work. I open and shut the hood well open and slam the hood and it is like it resets itself. I open the door and the interior lights are on and the truck will start. I will drive for a bit (random lengths of time) and the same issue occurs. I took the truck to the dealer and they stated they reset some electrical modules ( they were out of sync) cleaned the contacts and reseeded them. $300.00 later this seemed to work. Well yesterday after two months the issue has started again and again if I open and slam the hood it will start. Any ideas? I don't want to spend another $300.00 for this to keep happening. Sounds like there should be some sort of recall for this. Thoughts? Solution?

Carl
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    cujo1599,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Dealer repairs typcially have a parts and labor warranty. I would recommend taking the vehicle back to them so they can look at the vehicle again. Please feel free to email me directly. Please include your VIN and dealer of choice. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • bbsmith7bbsmith7 Member Posts: 3
    kcram - have you found that doing something to the kill switch works? My 98 Chevy does same not starting and sometimes when it does this the "security system" lights up. I then have to wait 10 minutes and it will usually start...but not always.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    It happened to my dad's car many years back... the quick fix was the installation of a bypass cable under the hood... if the kill switch acted up, you popped the hood and tapped this override cable on the battery terminal and it triggered the starter circuit.

Modern kill switches may not be as easy to override, though. If it's a factory system, you may need to see the dealer about it; if it's aftermarket, check with the installer.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • ballou11ballou11 Member Posts: 1
    It will not start I bought this truck 6 weeks ago with a bad transmission it would not move out of its tracks but it did crank and run perfect Its a regular cab 2500 new body 4x4 with a 6.0 v8 gas motor and it has dual batteries after having the transmission rebuilt and installed the truck will not crank it has a small silonoid on the fire wall directly behind the axuillary battery on the passenger inner fender that click's when the key is turned to the start position 1 click each time the batteries are new the wires are good the connections are clean no fuses are blown I have power to the starter but not from silinoid to starter and the small purple wire which should be hot only when ignition key is turned to start position is dead all the time please help
  • 99fordzx299fordzx2 Member Posts: 5
    My Silverado began stalling, having a hard time starting, running rough when it first started, and taking several seconds to idle down after I pushed in on the clutch. Recently, I must now pump the throttle on the fuel injected engine to get it to start and barely stays running for a few seconds until it catches hold. About the same time, when pulling, the rpms increase and stay in the 2500 range. Are they related? Any ideas where to start? No codes are showing.
  • durajunkdurajunk Member Posts: 3
    Yay !!!!! Its fixed, but the dealer didnt fix it. My husbands buddy said lets check the fuse box and the Start/run relay was about half out with 2 prongs in and 2 just touching. It seems that the cover was letting it come up at times so that the 2 prongs lost contact and it would die or not start, they put it back in and havent had any trouble since. We even went to Tenn. last week with no problems. Obviously the dealer didnt bother to check the fuses, the cover didnt even have fingerprints on it. So 2 computers, reprogramed, new module under the bed and 2 mths of aggravation was all over a little relay. Though we dont know how or when it got bent, if you are having trouble replace that relay first!
  • dalerhdalerh Member Posts: 14
    I will join the lot of you with my 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD with only 17,700 miles on it! Sunday my keyless entry fob would not work, so I entered my truck with the key. Same story as all of you, it would not start. I contacted GM customer service Monday and I was instructed to place the key in the ignition and set to accessory only and wait 2 minutes and try to start the truck. If this didn't work try it again. Well, it didn't work after trying all day Monday and Tuesday morning. After I called my assigned personal GM service rep and left a message as to the failed attempts to start, I got a call back later in the day from GM customer Service and they said I needed to have my truck towed to a dealer. Have you tried to find a GMC truck dealer lately? (they are farther and fewer between) 3 dealers with in 10 miles have all gone belly up. Prior to calling for a tow I pulled all of the relays from the fuse blocks and pressed them back in, checked all neccesary fuses, but this didn't help either. I called GM roadside service and they sent out a local tow truck for an up front amount of $85. The driver showed up, hooked up his cables to the back of my truck, pulled them up tight with a slight jerk and walked around to the driver side door of my truck, put the key into accessory mode, all of a sudden the radio, the door chime, enterior lights, and even the window worked when the tow truck driver pressed the down button. I told the driver to stop, the system is working all of a sudden, try to start the truck. Wow! it started and I had him disconnect his cables. I was not about to have a dealer tell me there was nothing wrong with my truck for some un Godly fee. I drove the truck all day and every thing is fine. I contacted GM roadside assistance and had the towing fee changed from $85 to $60 for the service call. So the BIG question is. What caused the truck to start? Was it a delayed reaction to re-setting the relays, or the tow truck driver jerking on my truck while set in Park with his cables. The tow truck driver may have had the key in the ignition but not turned on for a good 10 minutes, I can't imagine this helping. But the saddest part of my story and all of the other stories told here is GM does not know what causes this event to happen. But their dealer can surely get to the bottom of it. "Right" Thanks everyone for your comments and I hope mine will help someone else.
    One day after my truck misteriously strating working it quit again today. This time I couldn't even lock it. So I got back in and tried to strat the truck, no luck.
    So, from what I have learned so far I put the key in the ignition, turned the key to accessory, put the transmission in neutral with my foot on the brake, and released the parking brake. WaLa! Everything came on and the truck started with no problem. So I think this issue with not starting has a connection to the parking brake and being in park. Since pressing the parking brake pedal is pretty standard stuff, something else must be triggering the problem. Maybe it has a sensor on the parking brake adjustment, I am just guessing. I keep you all posted as I narrow down this annoying issue and maybe share it with the GM guys who don't have a clue. :)
  • 99fordzx299fordzx2 Member Posts: 5
    It now has come down to a flooded engine. What controls the fuel going into the injection system when engine is turned off? Fuel is getting by after shut-off.
  • 07silverado07silverado Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Silverado. 8 months ago it was "bucking" on start-up and after 8 days of missed diagnostics, the dealership replaced the fuel pump and it solved the problem (temporarily). 8 months later - exact same symptoms, now 4 days later - still no resolution. They say it is not the same problem. Has anyone else had a similar issue. The "bucking" seems to smooth our after about 15-30 seconds, but it still doesn't seem to idle like it did prior to the rough startup.
  • 07silverado07silverado Member Posts: 2
  • luckysjlluckysjl Member Posts: 1
    A bad fule pump will not show up on engine diagnostics. Might want to check the fuel pump.
    OK, Its been 3 weeks since I've been here and my 2006 GMC Sierra still has on occasion not wanted to start. So far I haven't figured out what causes this event, but I can say every time it does happen, I put the key in the ignition to the on mode, place the transmission in Neutral, release the parking brake and turn the key and it starts every time.

Good luck!
  • seabass_21seabass_21 Member Posts: 1
    Have you figured anything else out? My 07 has the exact same problem, except I can't get mine to start at all, even doing what you did. Let me know. :(
    So far, the only other indication I get is a message on the dash that reads "Service 4 wheel drive" but it hasn't prevented the truck from starting. Releasing only the parking brake has worked too. Another thing to consider is one of the fuse panel relays next to the driver door. By releasing the parking brake, it hits the dash pretty hard and may be enough to un-stick a bad relay.

Good luck!
  • kmngkmng Member Posts: 6
    No my strarting problems have not been resolved - July 2011 when it started and continues to do so. GMC has not fpund the problem everyone I have spoken with and gave the history can't figure it out. Its a flaw in the GMC product. Its random to model and year... It does not matter.. Its very frustrating.. I can a month no problem then its every day 2 plus times a day and it goes on for a few weeks... When someone figures this S!!! out let em know!
  • weaklinkweaklink Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    2003 2500HD. Intermitant starting problems. I have replaced the starter, relay, battery. When I turn the key, the dash lights go out, just like normal, but I don't hear the solenoid, dead silence. Looking at the diagram looks like my next two options are the PNBU switch and Ignition switch.

I tried to start in neutral as well, no difference. I jiggled the ignition switch while trying to start,no difference. Wiggled the shifter while in Park, no difference.

Yesterday, when it happened. I rocked the vehicle while in park, and then it cranked right up. Same thing today. Nothing, nothing, rock vehicle against park, start. I'm hoping the PNBU switch is it.

This is a bare-bones work truck. roll-up windows, manual door locks, no security, etc.

Suggestions? Comments?
    So far my 2006 GMC has a constant issue with not starting or not even activating the system with the key. BUT, I have diagnosed the issue is all about the parking brake. If I depress it too far or too hard it causes the system to shut down. This happened just last night as I was leaving the truck and I couldn't even lock the truck. I reached in released the parking brake, the lights came on and it locked normally, and started fine when I got back. There must be a micro-switch at the end of the travel which sends an error message to the computer.

Good luck guys,
  • speey2speey2 Member Posts: 1
    im having same problem what did u find
  • original_shookoriginal_shook Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2012
    I need some advice please! I have a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 regular cab Z71, 4X4, 5.3L Flex Fuel with 75,000 miles. The last month it has started to have an intermittent issue with starting. Key will turn but nothing. The gauges all act appropriately when turning the ignition, but from there it does nothing. Had a level 2 tech state all computers are talking to each other, sensors are in normal operation, battery and cables check out ok, and no power issues from ignition to starter was found. Initially the tech said orginal starter was bad (pulling too many amps) so had starter replaced. I'm still having issue after new starter installed. Tech could only replicate the problem one time but found nothing wrong.
  • kmngkmng Member Posts: 6
    Good luck my issue is over a yr old... Gmc screwed up its a random issue they can't fix
    Is there anything you do to get it started?
    Have you tried releasing the parking brake? My 2006 GMC 1500 HD Sierra 4X4 does this everytime I apply too much parking brake. As soon as I release it everything works fine. It may have to do with adjustment to the parking brake assembly. I also sometimes get a message the 4 wheel drive needs service, but releasing the parking brake takes care of that too. I haven't been stranded sisnce.
  • roniariesroniaries Member Posts: 2
    My truck wont start. The battery is fine and as I try and turn it on it just clicks. I am very disappointed with Chevrolet. I have a 2003 Ford Sport Trac and I have never once had a problem with it and I bought it new. I previously went to Cavendar Chevrolet in Boerne and reported that the transmission kept kicking. They said there was nothing wrong with it. I know for a fact in doing research that my truck of same year, make and model is not the only one with that problem. Things also keep breaking off like the adapters for chargers and the aux cord hole is unusable because it has too much static. The paint on the radio buttons are missing and the what is worst, there are cracks near the air bag on the dashboard. I hope I dont get in an accident before that gets fixed. Simple things made on a supposed tough truck should not be happening. I will start my long process tomorrow of trying to find out what needs to be done. It is ridiculous that this much time and effort be spent on a new truck.
    Good morning original_shook,

Have you had any luck in getting this addressed since your post? If we can follow up on anything with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name, summary of the situation, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    If you would like for us to connect with your dealership and check into this further, roniaries, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealer).

• roniariesroniaries Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate your attentiveness on this matter. They have advised me that roadside assistance will be picking it up. I will email you details.

Thank You,
    Veronica
  • silver126silver126 Member Posts: 1
    same issue with 08 silverado....told it was o2 sensor replaced do have remote start so told that is the problem and should be taken out of vehicle ... called remote start installer and told they do not have to remove system they can disconnect it however it will not cure the problem......dealer only making money playing guessing games...called customer support at GM and was told that the chevy techs are trained and to return to dealer once again ...... have seen on internet numerous problems with these trucks but no one seems to have an answer........getting ready to trade not for another GM product
    I have posted to this site many times about my 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4X4 not starting. It has almost become comical that all I need to do is release the parking brake and the truck starts. Sometimes I get a message the 4 wheel drive needs servicing, but then again releasing the parking brake solves the issue too. I am hesitant to take it to a dealer even with all of the examples. Good Luck!
  • fhawkfhawk Member Posts: 1
    2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4x4 6.0L. Driving down the high way, truck started to cut out. then it died and i pulled over and it would not restart. had it towed home, now some times it will start, idle rough and die. no codes are coming up or the check engine light doesn't light up.
    Hi fhawk,

I haven't had this problem with my 2006 GMC 1500HD Sierra 4x4 also a 6.0, but I have had it with other vehicles. Have the catalytic converter checked out. This sounds like a typical Cat melt down and the system is clogged. When it cools it allows a little more exhaust through for a little while.

Good Luck.
    Sarah this truck has 76,000 miles and I have paid for a computer diagnosis, told it was a bad starter, had a new one installed. I am out over $500 so far and my truck still has intermittent no start issues. Chevrolet has not been helpful so I had another auto repair mechanic try and still playing the expensive guessing game. I guess I will have to try to figure out this problem myself so I can get this thing running enough to trade it in on a more reliable brand than Chevrolet.
    Try releasing the parking brake. This has worked for me on my 2006 GMC 1500HD 4x4 Sierra for two months now. I can even make it so it wont start my applying too much parking brake. I also get a message the 4 wheel drive needs servicing. I have not had to take it to a dealer yet and dread even sharing my diagnosis with them.
    edited November 2012
    I maybe have found the problem with the intermittent no start. When my truck wouldn't start, I had it on a rack and checked the wires on the left side of the transmission directly under a shield (possibly the neutral safety). While someone was in the truck trying to start it with the key, I grabbed the wires and shook them. The truck started. Pulled on them with a little pressure and tried again...no start. Wiggled and shook them and it started. So I took off the sheild and found dirt and debris caked around a plug. Cleaned out all the debris and unplugged the wires and found some debris and dirt in the plug. Leaned the plug and all the pins and connections extensively and added dielectric grease to the now clean plug and put everything back together. So far so good. I will keep this topic current if I encounter the problem again.
  • golderon24sgolderon24s Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: So I was at the dealer getting my oil changed and when I went to leave my truck hesitated to start. I quickly turned it off and tried again, same issue. So I went in and asked if they had any issues with it which of course the reply was "no sir everything was fine". So the service rep came out and I showed him what was going on and it wouldn't start at all. So I asked what they did because it was fine before they touched it. He said it must be a dead battery. So I had the battery checked at the local auto parts store and it reads that it is fine. I'm at a loss right now because everything in the truck comes on as it should. It seems that it hesitates to start everytime now. And if it is left for more than 8 hours it won't start at all. Oh its a 2011 Crewcab LT with right around 46k.
    golderon24s,

If you would like for us to check into this further with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

• pappacaudpappacaud Member Posts: 1
    I have been having the same issues, every so often truck just won't start, jumped it one time, took a few minutes of charging then it started. Next time just let it sit for about half hour, it then started like it was brand new. Never has the problem on cold start up, just after it has been sitting for 30 min to a couple hours. I have had the starter, battery and charging system checked. No problems no codes.
  • 2011siverado2011siverado Member Posts: 1
    Talked with others in our company that have either 2011 or 2012 Silverado. A GM tech said it could possibly be our electronic keys for office. So if you have any other electronic devices on your key chain including other chipped keys, this could be the issue.
    pappacaud,

Let us know if you wanted for us to check into this further. I understand you have already had this checked into and that currently there are no apparent difficulties with the starter, battery, and charging systems. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN with your inquiry). We would check into this further with your dealership, or at least document that you're having this concern with your Silverado.

• billwh87billwh87 Member Posts: 18
    I do not use the parking brake and still have the same problem. It seems like mine is worse when it it rains and when it gets cold outside. I wish I had never bought this vehicle.
  • billwh87billwh87 Member Posts: 18
    I am still having the same problem Sarah. It lasted 20 minutes today before it finally started. I tried shifting in and out of neutral, raising the hood and slamming it shut, turning the positive and negative terminals on the battery, stomping the brake several times. I have been waiting, hoping someone would come up with something on this website. I read tonight about someone depressing the parking brake and getting it to start, but I don't use the parking brake. I saw where another guy gets out and tries to rock the truck back and forth to get it to start. The dealership says they can't help me until it will not start at their place. I left it overnight for a week and it started everyday. I guess I am not interested in having them begin randomly changing out parts in hopes of "getting lucky". From what I have read from others in these threads, it is not uncommon for someone to spend up to #3000 for various changes, and still have the problem. The problem with having a tow truck come get it is that others in the forum say it will start once it is unloaded from the tow truck.

I worked at GM 33 years and must say I am extremely disappointed that the engineers have not come up with a solution to this problem. My wife will not go anywhere with me anymore since we got stranded 120 miles from home this summer. It seems since it is related a to all models from 1996 to 2012 in this forum, GM would have a solution by now.
    billwh87,

I'm truly sorry that the start-up concern you had back in February on your Sierra is still ongoing and that the dealership has not been able to duplicate it. If you wanted for us to create a new Service Request to continue looking into this (unsure if you had started one with Christina and if/when it had been closed), please send us your VIN and a brief recap as we have some new agents responding to inbound emails at socialmedia@gm.com

• bretly1bretly1 Member Posts: 3
    Chalk up one more. Mine's a 2005 2500 Sierra. Been dealing with this for about 3 months now and resorted to keeping a 12" flat end screwdriver beside my drivers seat and a flashlight for night occurrences. For everyone with the same problem, this may be the best solution unless, like me, you're wanting to trade or sell your vehicle which I won't do until I figure this out. Anyway.......back to the screwdriver. Fortunately GM made the starter solenoid very accessible through the passenger side wheel well. Just turn the key on, walk over to the wheel well, and cross jump the starter solenoid. While this is at times entertaining to others who happen to be watching or riding with me, the luster has worn off at this point and it's just an annoying necessity. If this persists I will wire a switch direct to the solenoid and place it under the steering column so I don't have to exit the vehicle.

One thing that I don't believe I have seen mentioned on the numerous threads is that my truck ALWAYS starts cold. Which makes me believe it may be sensor that is being affected by temperature. And it does seem to happen more often with temps above 65 degrees, but is not isolated to that as it happens in sub 50 degree weather at times as well. Another thing is the security system light does not stay on as I have seen others mention. The only solution I have found outside cross jumping the solenoid is have patience....which I have little of. Sometimes wait 5 minutes and sometimes as long as 20 which makes me think it's temp related. But, here's one that seems to blow that theory. Whenever I try to start it immediately after driving it to try and replicate the problem (at a dealership for diagnostics for instance), it always starts. But, if it sits for a period of time (not enough to cool down though), it may replicate. I drove to a repair shop a few weeks ago, shut it down, and started it up about 7 - 10 times until I went in and told them I gave up trying to replicate it. As I went to leave it wouldn't start. But of course, after the tech got all the diagnostics hooked up, it was apparently long enough that it started right up for him. I may try to find out switch out the starter relay I saw mentioned in another post. I don't use the park brake, but someone mentioned that being next to it so maybe that's it. If that doesn't work I guess I'll wire up a switch direct to the solenoid this weekend and hope one of us figures this out by trial and error since it doesn't appear the GM engineers have any desire to figure it out given the many years of this phenomenon.....