Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 2009

Comments

• fornovfornov Member Posts: 34
    Agreed on most of that. I actually do like the analog clock - personal taste/preference, I suppose. I have a friend who has an '08 G35xS, and he let me check out the NAV system and that didn't bother me either. Does the G37 have the weather/traffic link like the TL? That's something I don't know. Rear seating is pretty close, but yes, probably bigger in the TL - probably won't matter too much for my 4 and 2 year old daughters. :) Better raw performance, but noisier, and not as nicely finished, I agree with those anticipations. Styling is equal between the two, for me. I'll just have to see how the G37 feels... :shades:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    actually bought an '09 TL yet? (Not trying to make a point. Just curious)
  • lax29lax29 Member Posts: 42
    Just read a report that Acura sales for Oct were down 28%, but that the TL was actually up 22% and they are contributing it to the revised 09TL??? It seems to me that maybe they sold more of the 08's last month. Can't imagine that the 09 is selling that well.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I now seeing quite a few here-Connecticut and New York
    With the incentives on the '08's, I'm sure those sales figures were bolstered by sales of the remaining '08's, as you said.
    I was just reading the owner's manual for the new TL. From what I can determine, it appears that there is a sensor built into each of the front door handles so that if the remote is within range, the doors will unlock as soon as you touch or grab the handle. Since the system can be set to beep and flash the lights everytime the car unlocks, I'm thinking that may prove to be somewhat annoying if you're, say, moving stuff in and out of the car, and everytime one of the front doors is opened, the car beeps and the lights flash.

I would say Nissan's system, which requires a button on the handle to be pushed in order to unlock, appears to be better.
  • bishop4bishop4 Member Posts: 6
    I have had a 2009 TL w/the tech package for 2 wks now. The doors just beep when they are unlocked, after they are unlocked it does not beep again. In addition, you can change the settings so that it will not beep, if that is your choice. I have owned a 2004 G35x and a 2007 ES350 and this car is a great combination of sport and luxury. Love the gadgets and the interior. I also like the way the exterior looks. Great car with no issues. Will let you know how I feel after a few months.
    Thank you for the clarification. Another question I have is, do you have to grab the door handle a certain way, or at a certain spot, or wrap your hand around the whole handle, etc., to trigger the unlocking? What if you just touch the handle with one finger? Also, do you need to wait a split second after touching the handle before it is unlocked. For example, what if you grab the handle and pull on it to open the door all in one motion (as most people do with a regular door)?
  • gundersengundersen Member Posts: 14
    The sales increase has to be because of 08 models. I bought one last month for $5500 off MSRP($28,988) and 2.9% financing. That's a hard deal to pass up. The dealer said they were flying out. I got one of the last ones.
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Hi Bishop4,
    Can You please throw some light on your experience b/w the 07 ES350 and your new ride 09 TL. I have an 08 ES350 in the Ultra Lux Pkg and was wondering is it worth it to get the TL.
    Thankyou
  • chuckjrchuckjr Member Posts: 95
    I saw those numbers too. What I read implied that the sales of the TL increase was because of the 09 but I think it's all the dealers dumping the 08s on sale. I have only seen one 09 on the road so far and that was a dealer demo with the dealer's name on the windshield.
    It should be interesting to see what happens in the months to come when all the 08 are gone.

Not knocking the 09. Still interested in one, just want to see them come down in price.
    I have yet to see one '09 TL on the road, not even a demo. I've even seen a couple of '09 RL's, which is saying something since we all know how popular the RL has been. :sick:
    First the base TL w/ tech package is under $40k and a fully loaded ES350 MSRP is well over 40k. The TL is much sportier than the ES350 hands down. The TL corners nicely and the steering wheel has a nice feel. Both cars have nice interiors just different, The ES has the wood while the TL has alum. I'm getting 20 mpg in city driving the same as in the ES. The exterior of the ES is nice looking just a little plain IMO and the TL is not plain. The TL also has a back up camera and hard disk drive that can rip music from your cd's so you don't have to lug cd's around and the 440 w sound system sounds great. And finally 90% of the people I see driving the ES350 are little old men and women and while I know one day I will be one of them, I'm not there yet. :)
    What was your opinion on the 08 TL or was that not even an option for you? I have the 04 TL and do not really see any reason to do the same generation again.

I am also looking at the 09 TL. Nice breakdown of the 2 cars. Thanks
    The '08 does have some nice features not available on the '04 --- fully automatic headlights, tire pressure monitoring, updated Nav, rear-view camera to name a few. IMO, there may be some justification to upgrading to the Type S, but I know what you mean about ponying up the extra cash to get essentially the same car, albeit a newer version.

On the other hand, if you like the model enough to deem it a "keeper", you may want to get the best version. I had bought the first version of the CR-V when it came out in 1997. And I still lament the fact that I didn't upgrade to the 1999-2001 version after they tweaked it with more power, etc., because if I had, I liked the vehicle enough that I probably would have hung on to it and passed it down to my kids, and/or as a foul-weather runabout.
  • jaymkjaymk Member Posts: 86
    Thanks Bishop4,
  • traumeritraumeri Member Posts: 32
    Bishop4, did u look at the G35 or G37? That to me is the closest competition.
  • chuckjrchuckjr Member Posts: 95
    I have had an 05 TL since November 04 and love it. I am in he process of getting rid of it and talked to Acura about the 09s. They were trying to get me into an 08 TL because of the discounts but, like you, the idea of driving the same car for another 3 years didn't excite me.

What i did find was that the 08 was much improved from 05. Quieter and smoother being the biggest differences. So I wouldn't be driving the same car as i had been.

I drove the 09 and that improvement was even more noticeable over the 08 and it feels like i am driving a completely new car.

We'll see if the numbers work out when it comes time to pull the trigger. BWM is giving 08s away at great rates although I liked the TL better.
    I used to own an '04 G35x and while it was a great handling car it rattled like crazy and the dealer could never fix it. I know the new G37 is a different car but I didn't want to chance it. IMO you take the handling of the G and put it with the quality of the ES350 interior and wrap it in a fresh exterior and you get the TL.
  • wlovenwloven Member Posts: 1
    Hello:
    I have been driving my '09 TL with Tech package for a week. Trade up from an '07. I have to say it is really an awesome and awe-inspiring car. Yes, it's all techno-geeked up, but that's one of the things I really like about it. Second, the Ipod connection is the best in class, period. It really rocks through the 10 speaker 440W system - though fresh ripped CDs right to the hard are at a level of incredible crystal clarity. Third, my car is my mobile office and the cell phone blue tooth telephony system is heaven sent. No more squinting at my Blackberry trying to voice dial a number in bumper traffic going 75! Scrolling through address book so fast, that it makes voice dialing ala the '07 TL feel positively ancient.

I like that Acura softened up the ride, quieted the cabin somewhat, and switched tires. I only have 750 miles on it and I am already getting 27.5 mpg on the highway and 20+ around town.

Wishes: 1) Power rear sunshade and manual sides shades (Acura's pretty dumb to hold these back on a $40K vehicle.) 2) Heated & Cooled Ventilated Seats - at least for the front. Acura are you listing?

wloven@austin.rr.com
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    congrats on the new TL --and your mpgs are terriffic.. I agree with you on the wishes for this car but let me add a couple more-- rear bias (instead of fwd), better weight distribution (rear bias would help), and the most important thing bring back the old front end -or change it quickly --car not flattering from the front.
  • mrsatisfactionmrsatisfaction Member Posts: 14
    I agree with you. Not only is it a great car, but its functionality is second to none.

There is no other luxury car out there that is intriguing as the all new TL.

For sweendogy, I will do my best to take a picture for you of a 2009 TL with a color-matched grille.
    Well, thank you so very much for that completely unbiased endorsement. I'm completely sold on the TL now. Send me your business card so I can put my order for 6, mrsalesman. :sick:
  • jseltonjselton Member Posts: 2
    Just took deliverie of my 2009 Acura TL Tech in Silver!

Purchased from Acura of Thousand Oaks in Southern California.

Did my internet emailing and found them willing to work out a price even thou they would not do it via email I talked to there General Sales Manager JC and he met my numbers.

I paid 36500.00 plus tax ttl and doc.

I got the pro pack and emergency kit thrown in for that.

They are a new dealer and looking to build a client base (at least thats what he said)

They were easy to do business with and no games to be played.

I would recomment to friends or family.

Jeff
  • glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    Thought I had narrowed down to the new 09 Audi A-4 Quattro 2.0 and the 09 TL. Had loved my friends 07 TL both exterior style and interior. Had read Car & Driver raving about the TL as long as you could get past the exterior styling, but thought no they are wrong. Oh my god, when I saw the TL in person I thought, I could not do this for $10grand off sticker. I know looks are subjective, but I went to two Acura dealers today (on Sunday, in Colorado they have to be closed), one dealer must have had 30 new '09 TL's sitting there and only 4 or 5 TSX's. Sorry, but I really believe this new TL is a mistake for Acura.
    Now am between the TSX and the Audi. Love the looks of the TSX, will drive one nest week.
    To each his own, but I have to say the 09 Audi A4 in person does not look as good as the photos. Outside of the LED eyeliners it's a bit pedestrian as well. I think all auto sales are screeching to halt due to the economy, so it's a bit of bad timing for the 09 TL to debut now....but hopefully that will translate into good deals for those of us who don't mind the exterior.

Personally, I'm still debating whether the darkers colors (blue, grigio, gray) is a better fit for the grille vs the silver.
  • rnmomrnmom Member Posts: 32
    My husband and I have a 05 Tl and we went to see the 09. The lease on the 05 is up in Febuary My husband loved the car, he didnt drive yet. Loved that it had a great grill very different then most cars on the road. THe dealer di saw we should wait until Feburary we should get a better lease then. The lease was 3500 down and 36 months 419 a month. WE may look at the new Mazada 6
    The lighter colors are a better fit for the grill, because the darker colors accentuates the grill, which is the ugliest part of the car. But that aside, Polished Metal with the Taupe interior, for me, is the most attractive combination.
    Now that's a reasonable price. I had a dealer ask me to make a reasonable offer on a 09 TL TECH and that is the exact price I offered. If they said yes I was going to buy it. But they came back somewhere around 37,600. Going to wait and see. I still get emails from them asking if I had reconsidered. In Maryland, so no chance of going to your dealer.
    My wife and I both agree on the light color scheme We are leaning toward the white/tan interior. Again the grill is not my fav, but not a deal breaker either. The lighter color does seem to hide it a little more.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    I just returned from the Acura dealer for service on my 08 TL-S. Took a look at the 09 TL and could not believe just how hideous this new model is in person. I thought it was bad in the pictures but folks it is worse in person. The sales folks just kept saying "It will grow on you" and I said I don't think so. They didn't argue with me and in fact kind of agreed with me after they realized I wasn't kidding or that I had no intention on even driving it just because of the looks. The folks that designed this car should be taken out to pasture. Same for the Mgmt that approved the design!!! This is one ugly atrocity!

Looking at it from behind is just as bad. It looks like a big bulky car with little moped tires to boot. This behemoth needs a total redesign IMHO.
    I pretty much had the same first impression as you --- the car's bulk, the standard 17" wheels are undersized, the big schnoz of a grill, etc. However, I probably will test-drive the SH-AWD version. If the drive blows me away, AND my dealer gives me a killer deal on my trade, then maybe. If not, then I'll drive my current TL for another year, pass it down to my kids, and look seriously at a 3 or 1 series Bimmer of some form.
  • gry4gry4 Member Posts: 3
    For the same 41K you can also look at a 2008 Mercedes 350 4-Matic or 2007 BMW 530XI each with under 15K miles. The Mercedes drove like vanilla quiet machine the the 530 presents an interesting choice. Acura has the luxury and the beak, BMW has the performance.
  • gry4gry4 Member Posts: 3
    By "TL" I mean the SH-AWD with the Tech package
  • wbarchwbarch Member Posts: 1
    Saw the 09 TL in person recently. Have to say it might be the ugliest looking car I have ever seen. Definitely the worst looking lux type sport sedan out there. I agree with what one of the previous posters said about the design team and add they should commit hari-kari if they had any honor. Acura couldn't discount this enough to interest me.
    6.7s for both FWD and AWD despite bigger engine. Compared to 5.2s for the 335i, 5.5s for the 535i, and 5.4s for the G35. I am suprised Acura is willing to give up what seems like a substantial amount of performance prowess in the segment. Whether or not it is relevant for day-to-day driving is one thing, but it still serves as a comparison tool in a competitive segment.

Interesting to note also that Acura reportedly said that the 09 AWD is 0.3s faster than the outgoing Type-S, which would put the the Type-S @ ~7s but that seems awfully slow even for a 5AT type-S.

Any thoughts?
  • jpdisarrojpdisarro Member Posts: 33
    Edmunds only guessed that the AWD version will have the same acceleration due to the added weight; they did not actually test the AWD version, so their estimate could be incorrect. If the AWD version is 0.3 sec faster than the previous Type-S, it would have a 0-60 time around 6 sec.
  • drmike29drmike29 Member Posts: 26
    I recently purchased the 09 TL TECH (w/keyless entry & start). I had grown accustomed to carrying a spare key in my wallet for emergency use when traveling. While I'm sure that Roadside Assistance could somehow open your car door if the key fob were lost, how would you be able to 'drive away' if the keys were lost out of town?
    Mike
    Road & Track just did their full test of TL SHAWD and posted 6.3s but also noted that the FWD TL was only 0.1s off, thereby confirming Insideline's findings.

Anyway, I test drove the SHAWD today and compared to my FWD test drive a couple of months ago I did not feel any noticeable accel gains at any speed. This is not a deal-breaker but certainly disappointing. Performance-wise this places the TL at the bottom of the pack (A4 2.0T, ES350), but I was hoping the new "advanced" TL should drift toward the middle instead.....
    But I have a feeling Acura's objective with the bigger motor in the AWD model is simply to compensate for the added weight, rather than to offer a high-performance alternative. In your test drive, did you notice that AWD eliminated torque steer?
    Those numbers aren't spectacular, but they're still almost half a second better than Edmunds's figures. With rumors of a V6 being added to the lighter TSX, I wonder if Acura would dare make the TSX faster than the more expensive TL.
    RE: Torque-steer. For the AWD there is a hint of it when you push it hard, but then you can feel the AWD kick in to compensate while you are on the throttle. In general the reviews out there sums up the AWD pretty well. I did not push the FWD that hard last time, so I cannot say how bad the Torque-steer was.

RE: Accel #'s. I'm just a bit surprised that the SHAWD had such nominal gains over the FWD (both Insideline and R&T stated such in their new reviews). While the 0-60 was lower by 0.4s comparing the FWD(insideline) to the AWD(R&T), the 1/4mi was only differed by 0.1s. Slalom and lateral accel #'s are marginally better than the FWD with base tires, and essentially the same as the TL-S 6MT. So it's really hard to figure out how much is the AWD vs the 19" summer tires.

Essentially, Acura is expecting us to pay $3K+ for minization of torque steer and a more sporty handling feel that translates into small gains on the test track. I'm not sure if this will win over previous BMW/infinti owners, and am not sure if it helps that much to retain previous TL owners. The AWD performance "gain" comes at the price of slightly worse MPG, heavier weight, and smaller trunk space.

Now I find myself drifting back to the base TL and having to decide if the performance inferiority to say the Infiniti G37 is worth the slightly better interior package and rear seating space. Although one may argue that G37's Navi is just as good if not better (lane assist, 3D buildings, etc).

RE: the TSX V6, I'm not sure how much better the 0-60 might be due to torque-steer limitations in the FWD set-up. Perhaps 1/4mi and 50-70 numbers might be improved.
    My father's 05 TL has significant torque steer. I wonder if the magnitude of torque steer is different on the 09.

This is a matter of personal situation, but I would prefer the SH-AWD system for winter driving. RWD is obviously out of the question for me, but I have even had some "entertaining" experiences with FWD during the winter, so AWD would be a huge plus. Additionally, the SH-AWD model comes with 18" wheels and a slightly stiffer suspension.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    I am totally surprised that you mention you felt Torque steer on the AWD version.I tested the car last Saturday in the pouring rain and experienced ZERO torque steer.Luckily for me my sales associate is about my age (early thirties) or even younger.I told him from the get go that I am going to push the car hard from the stoplights and hard in the corners, he said "GO for it." The AWD felt totally solid in all aspects even the brakes are a MAJOR improvement over my 2003 type S and this was in the rain.The shift points were right on the money, paddle shifters worked like a beauty.The leather is top notched but I did not like the two tone scheme in the test car.Also the big fat steering wheel was not of my taste.The five star wheels I could live without but its not that bad compared to the FWD version.I am waiting to see the HPT version to pass judgement.Overall, the car felt quick all over the REV band and the suspension felt tight but a little harsh for the weak at heart.
    The tech toys were satisfying to use if you can find them on the dash.
    It was very slight (I think due to the initial FWD-bias as you apply and reapply throttle), but it is so minimal it should no longer be a knock against Acura. Where SHAWD will fail (I think) to win over enthusiasts will be its pedestrian raw power, lack of gears, and it's heft. I suspect the enthusiast will not be able to overlook the fact that it is that much slower than the G37 and 335.

I am not a diehard enthusiast so the TL is still in the running, but it's harder to justify the SHAWD over the TL at this point ($, MPG, weight, cargo space). Ultimately, the TL buyer will still be the previous group that value interior refinement over absolute performance. However, its advantage over the G37/335 there is not great enough to sway AT-driving enthusiasts that I thought was the reason for creating the TL SHAWD.

I walked away from my SHAWD and G35 test drives unconvinced that the SHAWD is a compelling competitor for the enthusiast's wallet.
    "...how would you be able to 'drive away' if the keys were lost out of town?"

I guess you can't, but wouldn't you be in the same predicament if it had a regular ignitiaon and you lost the key?
    Has anyone noticed if the navigation screen suffers from the same reflection/glare problem as the one in the new TSX? It seems to have the same basic design --- the actual nav screen is set behind a outer plastic screen, which picks up the reflection from the surrounding dash surfaces.
  • drmike29drmike29 Member Posts: 26
    Spare key in wallet with the regular key ignition. That's not an option for the keyless system?
    Mike
    The regular key is not that small. It would fit, but I have a tough enough time closing my wallet now as it is. Also, would the chip inside the key interfere with the magnetic strips on your credit cards?