Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Civic

Comments

• jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    And don't forget cold in the winter, if there's no seat heaters.

The civic EX-L includes heated seats.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    ...and contrary to many OWTs, leather interiors last a very long time. I've never had a car that didn't still have leather in good condition after ten years and well over 100,000 miles. That and I NEVER treat my leather seats, ever.

As for having heat, blah, we live in New Hampshire and every time I get in Mrs. Shipo's car in the winter time I get maybe a quarter of a mile from our house before I'm scrambling to turn the damn heaters off on her leather seats.

If a Civic finds its way into my garage, it will be an EX-L 5-Speed non-NAV for sure. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    ...you live where there is no sun.....well, ok, it appears you do.... ;)
    "no leather unless you live where there is no sun"

LOL! ;-)

Funny thing though, NPR did a bit on motorcycle ownership a couple of years back, a program that I found fascinating. Do you know which U.S. state has the highest per-capita motorcycle ownership? New Hampshire. Go figure.

According to a number of the interviewees, New Hampshire has a higher number of "Perfect motorcycle riding days" than any other state. Hmmm, we've been living here for five years now and I think statements like that have been subject to a very loose poetic license, however, I really do like the weather up here. Today for instance, there's not a cloud in the sky and we're heading for a high of about 75 degrees. Can you say "Perfect"? Sure, I knew you could. ;-)

FWIW, I owned cars with leather interiors when I lived in SoCal and Hotlanta and still prefer leather to the various alternatives out there.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    To the person who's been compalining about all his issues with his Civic, dump it already if it's so bad. There was also a guy in the Mazda3 forum who constantly droned on about all his "issues", that it began to take over the various forums that dealt with the 3. Got really old. I know I finally just scrolled past all that negativity and I'm sure others did to. Sometimes it's just better to cut and run, get something you'd really like better.
    I'm hoping that with the new '09 Civic, all these "issues" will be dealt with and resolved. I'm sure Honda Corp. hates these things as much as their buyers do, afterall their in the business of making quality cars. Maybe all these TSB's & that recall will make them ramp up their quality control to previous levels of years past. They've already shown that this quality standard is attainable by them.
    I think 2009 will be that we'll see marked improvement in Honda quality across the board. For survival...they'll have no choice. The competition is just that good, and getting better. Just sitting in that leather lined Hyundai earlier today proved this point to me. Many folks will jump at the chance to get a car as nice as the top of the line Accord for Sonata prices. And adding in the great Hyundai warranty and free roadside assistance for no extra charge, it's really a no brainer!

The Sandman :)
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I guess that would be me droning on :) I just get so tired of all the kneejerk mindless talk of Honda goodness that I have to relive my problems time and again as a counter balance. Perspective buyers of Honda need to know that their ownership might NOT be the wonderful experience they are expecting and I'm just the guy to tell them. If you are a happy Honda owner be my guest and skip all my posts they will only upset you.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Posts that aren't of interest should be skipped.

In any case, this is about the 08 Civic so let's try to keep to that topic and take other subjects to more appropriate discussions.
  • d34m0nd34m0n Member Posts: 2
    today i got 2008 civic LX for $17500 on ROAD (including everything). i cloud only bargain this much :sick: . sales guys kept saying they can't go below $18500... :mad: I'm still not happy :( because i paid almost same as MSRP. i don't feel i got it for good price. i want to know what you guys think. thank you.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'm still not happy because i paid almost same as MSRP. i don't feel i got it for good price.

Then why, if I may ask, did you buy the thing? If I felt the car wasn't worth what they were asking, I certainly wouldn't fork over my money to them.

As far as how good the price is out the door, that would really depend on your taxes and trade-in, if any. Is it a manual transmission or an automatic? Sedan, or coupe? It's hard to say whether or not the deal is good without a breakdown of cost, and what model it is.

The invoice on a Civic LX Auto Sedan in my area for 2007 is $16,349. It sounds like the price of the car was pretty close to that if you have taxes like I do (8%). Assuming an invoice of $16,400:

$16,400 + $1,312 = $17,712. Paying invoice for a 2008 Civic would be a good deal in my opinion. It's hard to say without solid info though. If you'll share more about your deal, I bet more people would help you on the Prices Paid forum.
  • d34m0nd34m0n Member Posts: 2
    2008 civic LX sedan automatic, no trade ins
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    d34m0n,
    You need to provide more details, or we don't have enough info to help you.

When you say you paid almost MSRP......I assume that means that whatever the MSRP is for the vehicle (what was it?), they then discounted it and sold it to you for XX,XXX (what was it?) The invoice for your model with the options on it was YY,YYY (what is it?). And then they added tax for the city/county/state you are in which is Z,ZZZ (what is it?), and tag/title which is QQQ (what is it?), and also added a dealers documentation fee PPP (what is it?).

So if you paid almost MSRP (if this is what you mean), all of the stuff that got added back on to the discounted price, brought the purchase price back up to almost MSRP.

So what are the details?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    How much did you pay in taxes? Were there add-ons (spoiler, mudguards, extended warranty)? Document fees?
    I was at the dealership today and saw a Civic with leather. It was a coupe with black leather and it looked sweet! In my opinion, it makes the car look a lot better than the cloth. They did a very good job on the interior. The center console and the steering wheel are also in leather.
    Thanks for the report. ;-) Did you perchance take a look at the arm rests? I hear that the plastic used on the non-leather models is highly subject to scuffing and discoloration.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cwhytecwhyte Member Posts: 14
    I've had my 08 EX-L for a couple of weeks, and I would agree that the plastic will scuff easily. I already have one scuff mark. I think that is typical of a lot of cars these days. I know my Nissan Titan truck really scuffs up easily.
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    :confuse: i know what forum i'm posting in, i was replying to him, as SEVERAL others have, not just me. :sick:
    The reason I said that was because at that point in reading my tracked discussions I had followed a whole string of your posts that were, um, not quite observant of the topic - sorry, didn't mean to call you out, was just poking at you. Peace? :)
    Did you perchance take a look at the arm rests? I hear that the plastic used on the non-leather models is highly subject to scuffing and discoloration.

You mean the arm rests on the doors? Where exactly is the scuffing likely to occur. On the vehicles with cloth interiors there's cloth on the door arm rests on the area where the elbow touches. On the vehicles with leather interior that has been replaced with leather.

Does that answer your question?
    Exactly. Thanks. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jazzminjazzmin Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 BMW 325 with leather seats and have never had any problem with them. I just had them professionally cleaned for the first time in 53K miles - for $50 - big deal. They look like new, and they didn't look too bad before I had them worked on, just some normal dirt marks. They don't wear from your butt rubbing against them, and don't stain from pets' dirty feet and kids dropping and spilling things. They are not high maintenance at all.
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    heck, it's still practically new....post your results after you reach some real mileage like 150-200k.
  • cwhytecwhyte Member Posts: 14
    I agree, one of the reasons I buy leather is it holds up better than cloth, especially from the wear and tear and stains from kids. Plus, I love heated seats in the winter. Yeah, they can be a little warm in the summer until the AC kicks in, but I can live with that.
    pam you know we cool. ;)
    Pam? Who's Pam? :confuse:
    LOL!! He was close. :)
    :blush:

sorry, i was at lunch and i was typing a little too fast i guess.

anywho, PAT, we're cool! ;):)
  • flynfl01flynfl01 Member Posts: 13
    Good day, everyone. I'm thinking of purchasing a 2008 Civic coupe in the near future and am interested in equipping it with the XM radio option that comes with the navigation on the EX. I'm not sure if it's worth the price though, and I may go with an LX or the EX w/o the navigation instead. My questions are:

1. If you purchase the EX with navigation do you have to install any more equipment to use the XM radio or do you just have to purchase a subscription from XM?

2. The Honda website once indicated that the EX without navigation is "XM ready" but not equipped with an XM radio. What does this mean exactly and how could I equip a non-navigation EX to listen to XM radio? Also what can I expect to pay?

3. If the EX w/o navigation is XM ready according to Honda, why is the LX not? How are the two radios different?

4. For those who have the XM and navigation in their Civic, was it worth the extra cost to you?

Thanks in advance!
    1. If you purchase the EX with navigation do you have to install any more equipment to use the XM radio or do you just have to purchase a subscription from XM?

That is correct. In fact, you get a free 90 day trial period of XM, so you don't have to even purchase a subscription immediately.

What does this mean exactly and how could I equip a non-navigation EX to listen to XM radio? Also what can I expect to pay?

According to College Hills Honda, the retail price for the XM Radio kit is $289:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/honda_civic_2dr_accessories/06_08_civic_electro- nics.htm

Check your local dealer for their install charges as well.

As for the how, College Hills Honda has the install instruction on their web-site as well:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/instructions/8th_gen_civ_sedan/xmradio.pdf

Page 2 shows a little diagram of how it looks when installed. Note that antenna is placed inside the windshield on the passengers side and not on the roof like the EX with nav. I personally don't think that looks professional.

The XM Radio unit is hidden in front of the passenger and a cable runs to the back of the factory stereo.

3. If the EX w/o navigation is XM ready according to Honda, why is the LX not? How are the two radios different?

The LX head unit doesn't have the same input that on the back that an EX does. That's why the LX is not XM Ready.

You can always go to a place like circuit city and have them install an after market XM unit. I've seen people do that and mount the unit in the cubbyhole right in front of the gear shifter. The installer can plug the output from the XM unit straight into the aux jack of either the LX or the EX. Also the aftermarket unit usually has a rooftop antenna which should get better reception than the interior windshield antenna the Honda XM kit provides.

The after market units often have better displays giving you all of the info on one screen, singer, song title, channel name, etc. On the non nav EX you'd have to see everything scroll by on it's display.

The main disadvantage to the after market unit is that you won't be able to control the XM through the steering wheel controls as you would with the Honda XM kit. Frequently however, the after market kits come with their own remotes.
  • priyankampriyankam Member Posts: 5
    I get a quote of $17750 for OTD, 5% sales tax. Is this a good price?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    d34m0n, at least you got it $250 lower than what I have been quoted. How did you manage to make them lower it by $1000 for you. Would you advice please?
    I get a quote of $17750 for OTD, 5% sales tax. Is this a good price?

Thanks a lot for your help!

You might want to post your price in Honda Civic Prices Paid forum and you'll probably get better feedback than in this forum:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.eea7241/6119!make=Honda&model=Civic&ed_ma- keindex=.eea7241

Also you can search that forum to see what others have been paid. Although I haven't seen that many deals posted for 2008 models.

Good luck
    Thanks!
  • bombastusbombastus Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know why 08 Civic has significantly lower MPG comparing to 07? :confuse:
    Because the EPA required manufacturers to change the formula used for the mileage calculations. Between 2006 and 2007, every car on the road had its mileage numbers changed. Some cars changed a bit, others changed a lot. ;-) In the end, the cars themselves didn't change, and a new 2008 Civic will get the same mileage under the same driving conditions as the 2006 and 2007 models.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bombastusbombastus Member Posts: 2
    Thanks,
    I was worried a bit as I am going to buy 08 Civic and found out the difference in MPG. I was thinking that they tweaked a little the engine to get better burning and cleaner exhoust or something like that.
  • flynfl01flynfl01 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the response. Does your Civic have the XM/navigation? If so have you been pleased with it?
    Does your Civic have the XM/navigation?

No, but I'll probably get it on the next Civic I buy and mainly for the reason that I like the large display screen for listening to the XM Radio. I'd want the color matched rooftop XM antenna too.

There's another nice feature that comes with the Nav system that I would probably use a lot and that is the card reader. I could copy songs from my computer to a card and plug it into the slot and use the steering wheel controls to scroll through the songs.
    I could copy songs from my computer to a card and plug it into the slot and use the steering wheel controls to scroll through the songs.

ah yes, another cool civic feature!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter seeks to talk with owners and serious shoppers of the 2007 or 2008 Honda Civic who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• nikko_33nikko_33 Member Posts: 1
    hey.. I'm buying my 1st car and its a 2008 honda civic Si sedan.. so can u give me some tips... thanks..
  • pdinazpdinaz Member Posts: 1
    I just bought one. Love it. Great fun to drive, super easy shift, and comfortable. I wanted a coupe with the nav system, but couldn't find it in AZ; but the stereo is great. I only really wanted the nav system because my old car had XM, which I had paid for already, and the standard stereo doesn't provide XM. I test drove the Mazda 3Speed (definitely faster but too pricey for too little more) and the Volkswagen GTI (more comfy and quieter, but not nearly as sporty), but the SI offered me a lot more of what I was looking for, and for less, at that. If you shop around, you should be able to get it at least at $500 to $700 under list, depending on how many are in your area. Good luck, and enjoy.
  • lore1lore1 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at adding the full Rear spoiler to my soon to be delivered 2008 Civic LX 4 dr sedan AT. I have not seen any of these cars with the full spoiler, is there a reason for that? Possibly lower visibility or something? Does anyone have one and can comment?

Thanks,
    lore
    I have not seen any of these cars with the full spoiler, is there a reason for that?

If you haven't seen a lot of them, it's probably because many people didn't think it's worth spending the $500+ to add them.
    Could be, but I have seen them for sale on the internet, genuine factory honda spoiler (painted) for $279 or so..
    I've gotta ask... Why do you want one? Bling? Downforce?

In my case I'd actually consider a 4-Door Si but for two things:
    1) The rear spoiler (I like stealth and it looks like a pain in the hind quarters to keep clean).
    2) The exterior mirrors cannot be had with heaters (unlike the EX-L and all Canadian Civics)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Its a personal preference thing, I think it looks good and adds value to the car. Yes, I know its a 4 door, My son already chastised me on this, said it was time to get something a little bit more sportier. I think the Spoiler looks good on the car (from pics. The Lip spoiler, I don't understand at all..

I guess you could call it bling... ha....

Lore
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I prefer the smaller spoiler I've seen on the hybrid models...a bit classier looking and very subtle. But since I've already added the EP3 rims from the '05 Si model, think I'm done. If the smaller spoiler didn't cost that much, would definitely consider it though.

The Sandman :)
  • cincinnatihcincinnatih Member Posts: 2
    I have 08 civic.I think my car is quite noisy when idle. also when engine is cold I am hearing some metalic noise, is that normal? I just want to know other civic owner's experiences.
  • cincinnatihcincinnatih Member Posts: 2
    I bought my civic lx auto at 17400.oo
  • jane999jane999 Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote of $19900 (includes des.fee) for 2007 style. is it acceptable? How about 2008?
This discussion has been closed.