Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Honda Civic

totalsportstotalsports Member Posts: 5
Does anyone have any info on any changes to the 2008 Civic...IE: Colors....Bluetooth Etc

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    probably wont see any major changes...or minor ones at that. 2009 will be the year they give it their 'update' with revised body styling and such. we'll have to wait and see.
  • medcatmedcat Member Posts: 9
    I read somewhere that they are adding an a Leather seat option. But i do not know if thats factual or not
    this would be nice, but the fact that they don't offer it now is not to big of a deal breaker.
  • kenlwkenlw Member Posts: 190
    actually, I would NEVER have leather seats. They require too much maintenance and look awful after a few years (i average 10 years on a car.) Cloth holds up much better.

A really simple improvement would be to add a $5 relay so that the headlights turn off when you turn off the car. This has been standard on many cars for over 10 years. It ain't rocket science, folks....instead we get a dopey dinger that tells you the lights are on.....
    all of the cars i've ever owned have the dingy beeps, but never an auto headlight off.

the only real changes i'd like to see in the civic probably wont happen until gen 9. i would like to see what the current gens face lift will look like though. (01-03 civic, looked ok but 04-05 was a very nice sublt improvment.)
    "...all of the cars i've ever owned have the dingy beeps, but never an auto headlight off. "

standard on my 97 camry for one. very convenient. the relay that would make it work costs no more than the dinger.
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    My 1999 very, very basic chevy cavalier had an auto shutoff for all lights. If any light (headlights, interior dome light, parking lights) were left on with no key in the ignition for 20 minutes, the power was automatically cut to keep the battery from being drained. If chevy could do that on a completely no-frills econocar, then everybody should be able to do it on every model.

Oh, and the chev also had the dingy thing too - it just had an idiot proof backup as well.
    just kidding ofcourse. ;)
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Some strong rumors on another site for Paddle Shifters for the AT. Not sure if a AT Si, or and EX upgrade with the 155hp K20 2.0.
    An AT Si would probably have sold me. I really thought they would do an AT before a sedan.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    An Automatic Si seems VERY pointless to me. The Civic Si is about offering a very raw performance experience. With all its power made in the stratosphere, and relatively meager torque (compared with its competitors), where many cars redline, a manual seems a must-have option in this car in order to really wring it out properly.

Just my opinion, but its one that I believe would be shared by a lot of people (based on what I've read in other threads here).
  • barrettheadbarretthead Member Posts: 28
    nope.
    most would have said the same about a 4 dr Si. And it may not appeal to you but would increase sales. At least one that I'm aware of....
    Having two extra doors doesn't change the performance characteristics of the engine. Having a performance-robbing torque-converter does.

The engine's peaky nature simply wouldn't mesh well with an automatic.
  • kork13kork13 Member Posts: 90
    I completely agree with the others... An AT Si would rob it of all the fun. Just last night, I decided to stretch my Si's legs a bit, and brought it up to 6k+ rpms a few times, just for kicks... That's one of the funnest parts about the Si, and the upper-reaches is where the engine gets the best power. According to dyno results posted in another forum, between 6.2k - 7.8k rpms is the sweet spot, and an AT would never let you get up there. No, an AT Si would never do.....

As for changes I'd like to see, the only thing I'd like to see (at least on the Si side) would be a more torquing engine, but that sort of improvement is probably a few years off, at least not until the next gen comes out.
    About the auto-off headlights, yea, it'd probably be nice. However, I wouldn't get rid of the dingy noise... That little ring helps me remember to get the keys out and turn the lights out ALL THE TIME. Yea, it's a little sad that I always forget, but it is still very useful for me.
  • scottimusprimescottimusprime Member Posts: 19
    I don't expect many significant changes to the Civic for 2008. A few extra features are rumored (possibility of leather as an option) but I don't think it will be anything earth-shattering.

I think the biggest changes will be saved for the MMC for the 2009 model year. Honestly, I hope the MMC will bring dramatic changes, including a new interior. As a current owner of an '06 Accord, I love the quality and the layout of my Accord's interior. I despise nearly everything about the current Civic's. I am sure Honda won't go to the trouble of re-designing the interior (some people like it) but it's the interior that kept me from buying one.

As far as the exterior goes, I think the Civic coupe looks awesome just the way it is. I wouldn't want them to make dramatic changes (probably new bumpers, maybe LED taillights?). The sedan needs a little more work I think... new bumpers, new taillights, new grille. I wonder if the 2008 Accord styling will rub off on the Civic?
    exactly, everone who complained of an si sedan was an idiot, especially considering it started as a HATCH and not a coupe at all. and can anyone say acura integra gsr? one of the coolest performance honda 4 doors ever.

an a/t simply wouldn't work. make the si's engine at least 2.2 or 2.3 litres making the same power to displacement ratio and then we would be fine. but honda would SOO make us pay for that. a gti for example does fine with the dsg, it has a ton of tq. the si requires a manual; its not about tradition but just the nature of the engine.

any 2.0 with paddle shifters would be great; a sort of competitor for the base se-r and mazda 3 2.3. this is basically available on the csx in canada, and on the uplevl civic in japan. its the engine from the old si/ base rsx. i think it would be great; but honda already made the mistake of putting the si moniker on a car with that engine; it wont happen again.
    there is NO WAY that the 09's will have dramatic makeovers; hence the term 'MINOR model change'.

revisions to the face and butt, little interior upgrades and maybe some different looking wheels. and maybe more accordish gauges. (same layout, nicer displays.) Anyone remember what an 01-03 civic looked like compared to an 04-05? a subtle difference (a good one at that) but NOTHING major.

the 08 accord proabably wont rub off; its the new civic that rubbed on. they match stylistically now as opposed to one looking modern and one looking futuristic.
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Member Posts: 116
    Replying to: kenlw
    An Automatic Si seems VERY pointless to me.

The point of an Automatic Si would be to get the upgraded engine and equipment without having the burden of manually shifting.

Why? Well, I suppose spoiled, modern-day teens are finding it very difficult to shift at the same they are simultaneously smoking and sending cellphone text messages. Have you no sympathy for the 'gen-nothing' ers? LOL.
    i know a few manual driving young people who are amazing proficient at texting and driving. ;)

while i agree about the feature content, the engine is the problem.

take a performance model like a VW gti, or sentra se-r; they come with both a type of auto matic transmission and a manual. Why the auto? well because those engines, while having high hp numbers, have LOTS of torque, and DO NOT make their peak hp and tq right before redline like the si does. The si is also lacking significant torque, so a manual totally suits its nature.

Honda is not stupid; they know and understand the limitations and advantages of a high revving high hp engine, and what not to do with it.

Actually, its been proven that if you drive the si like a normal car, aside from the handling, (which still requires you to go quickly) it feels like a normal civic...any true honda enthusiast therefore wouldn't want to pay the premium for the si just for the visual upgrades, seeing as how the automatic tranny would make you not want to drive fast because of how it would hold gears to redline, which in turn makes you use the engine like the regular civics engine, and thus negating the want or need to get the si for 'more motor.'
  • sivicmansivicman Member Posts: 32
    I 'd like to see Honda fire the person in charge of their color choices, I've been saying this for years. There colors are so drab and conservative, the garbage can grays and silvers. Honda needs bright colors like Mazda offers to capture that youth buyer. Some of you might remember the bright colors Mopar offered in the early 70's that were awesome.
    bright blues, and bright reds and deep blacks are not exciting? remember, even mazda saves their best colors for the more expensive, sportier trims, the same way honda does.

honda's problem is the way they package base colors with the interiors.

and the honda silver is the BEST silver of all time.
    As a gen-nothinger myself, I do have sympathy, but the Civic Si with an Automatic would seem like a car with the worst turbo lag you could possibly imagine. The Si simply deserves a manual exclusively (and Honda agrees). There's not enough torque to make the Si a quick car with an automatic.
    i knew i could count on your backup. ;)

actually, there is an engine that that honda made that had similar specs to the k20 in the si. it was called the f20 and it came in european/austrailian/new zeleand accord SiR's.

it was a 2.0 with 180 hp, and made about the same torque, but it was tuned for midrange power and only redlined at about 7200 rpms. and it met its peak torque much earlier than the si did.

Actually grad, this engine is a swap available for your older accord;...you should look into it! ;)
    you guys need to realize that not everyone shares your teenlust for slapping a stick all day.
    Geez, you "other" guys need to realize that having a manual isn't just about racing the 17 year old next to you when the light turns green.

"Us guys" aren't all the same. I have two cars, and both are automatics. They are also well-suited to those transmissions, with reasonable torque peaks and modest redlines. If my Accord had a 8k Redline and max torque above 6,000 RPM, I'd be in a different boat...er...car. :)

"Teenlust for slapping a stick" is an interesting phrase. I'm 19, and know how to drive a manual, but when car-shopping, an automatic suited me best, as it was more practical in my trafficky commute. Yes, I'm turning 20 next month, and yes, I chose practicality (4-door, 4-cyl, automatic midsize) over a car that one might "lust" after.

Give us some credit. We're not boy racers (well, I'll speak for myself anyway), I just know that the inherent characteristics of the Civic Si engine would make an automatic Si not much quicker than an automatic Civic EX.

If the Civic Si had as much torque as horsepower, I'd definitely feel differently (assuming a fair amount of it was available below astronomical RPMs).
  • iomaticiomatic Member Posts: 48
    I'm over 30 and enjoy MT on the Si. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    Like grad, I'm only 20 yrs, and although I do love taking advantage of the fun that an Si can be, I've always preferred having a MT in any car I drive. For me it's more a choice of having control over the engine or not. When I drive an AT, I often want it to shift in certain ways so that I can accelerate better, or be easier on the engine. However, an AT doesn't give you that freedom, thus the reason I've always favored a manual tranny. There are other reasons, to be sure, but that's my biggest reasoning...

Now, I know that this is gonna spark the argument for those.... I don't even know what they're called, automatics that you can switch over into a "clutchless manual" mode... So I'll throw out my opinion on those now... if you want to be able to sit there and let your car drive you places, get an AT. If you want to have some control over your engine, get a MT. I may be a bit of a purist sometimes, but enough of this stupid fence-sitting madness...
  • drmbbdrmbb Member Posts: 80
    I drove stick in all my cars for the past 25 years, and I agree with a lot of the points about the advantages of manual trans cars. However, driving stick in heavy stop-n-go traffic is just a PITA. After my last drive down I95 from CT to VA, a trip that should not take nearly 15 hours if traffic WAS MOVING, I decided I just couldn't take having a clutch in my daily drive automobile. So, a couple of months later, I traded in and drove out with my 2007EX/AT, and it is sooo nice when the traffic clogs up at a toll booth, accident delay, construction delay, or just too many dang cars all on the same road. :)

On an open, winding road though, a 5 or 6 speed manual is more fun, although not as much more fun as it was 20 years ago (you drive over half a million miles, and the thrill level drops a fair bit, I guess - although I still enjoy driving).
    i'm 22 and unless the si was a weekend car, i have no intention of getting a stick anytime soon.

if i had the money for a gti right now guess what transmission i'd choose? the dsg.

i don't really have a teenlust for slapping stick at all; and guys this isn't a 'the benefits of a manual' and 'i'm oldschool/a purist so i drive stick' type of argument: honda knows that the high revving k20 simply does not suit an automatic.

if they stuck the k24 from the tsx with its 210hp and 160+lbs of torque, ok we are good now. but k20a with auto=no.
    ...the Civic Si with an Automatic would seem like a car with the worst turbo lag you could possibly imagine. The Si simply deserves a manual...There's not enough torque to make the Si a quick car with an automatic.

Nonsense.
    - It would be quicker than the EX. Reason enough.
    - The Honda Civic Si doesn't use a turbocharger.
    - The automatic should be an OPTION, not standard.
  • jet10000jet10000 Member Posts: 656
    Nonsense.
    - It would be quicker than the EX. Reason enough.

You don't understand. It wouldn't be quicker. To get the speed from this engine you have to get the RPM's higher than an AT would permit.

The torque at the low end (which is what you'd get from the AT) is not high enough to give you any additional speed over the EX.

See post #16 for more information.
    I didn't say it had a turbocharger. I said it would seem like it had TURBO LAG. In a car with turbo lag, you have meager intial power, followed by a rather un-graceful surge in power later on in the powerband.

An automatic would be a detriment to the "Si" badge. Much like the disgraceful 3.8L Impala SS with the Supercharged V6. The "SS" badging is symbolic of a muscle car (something the GM 3.8L is not). In the same way, the Si represents a very pure sports car experience (light, loud, and racy). And automatic would go against the Si moniker's purpose, cheapening its worth.
    I found this on one of the vtec.net forums.

Someone with access to the Vehicle Locator on the Honda Interactive Network confirmed the Civic trim levels with leather for 2008.

The Vehicle Locator screen on the Honda Interactive Network shows an EX-L model.

Interestingly enough, you can get Navi with cloth or Leather.

FA1598JNW - Civic 4DR EXL 5MT
    FA1598KNW - Civic 4DR EXL NAVI 5MT
    FA1698JNW - Civic 4DR EXL 5AT
    FA1698KNW - Civic 4DR EXL NAVI 5AT
    FG1198JNW - Civic 2DR EXL 5MT
    FG1198KNW - Civic 2DR EXL NAVI 5MT
    FG1298JNW - Civic 2DR EXL 5AT
    FG1298KNW - Civic 2DR EXL NAVI 5AT

http://www.vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=684412&page_number=1
    how can you enjoy a stratospheric redline with an automatic transmission?

an auto tranny is built to keep you in the optimal powerband.

do you WANT to NEVER be below 6k?

i agree with grad....very little initial get up and go, especially since the k20 in this civic is NOT tuned for midragne torque at all.

it goes against everything 'si'.
    i'm actually a bit unimpressed...just a shifter and a badge on the inside? why not some more aggresive seats and more mugen specific stuff?

and the suspension, while probably great, is just limited to firmer springs and shocks? and an exhaust that adds a couple horsies?

this is def for the jdm whore...except that being built in america, its NOT jdm!

mugen's stuff is really nice looking, but its not exactly worth the price paid.

look at all the other 30k compacts based on econo boxes: the sti, the evo, the R32 they have something extra to back up the price! not just an aftermarket suplier who makes just as good as stock components that look cooler. (this is cool in itself, and the mugen si is a VERY good looking car, but not worth 30. maybe like 25k.)

i was expecting more. it'll be great in a decade...but unfortuantely, its resale wont be as good as say, and r32, if peopole don't lap it up. i think thats why there is only 1k being made, to ensure they all go.

again, if you handed me one for free, or if i was in the market for an si and they had one only slightly more than a regular si sedan, i'd take it.

otherwise, if i had 30k to spend, its an r32 for me.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=121908

just if you're interested in hearing nearly the same opinion from different people...
    Oh who cares...turns out the Civic roof line is too low anyway. I got a backache just from scrunching-down getting inside to try out the seat. "Next..."

Forget this low slung car, unless your arms 'hug the ground' when you walk and you are trying to compensate for something else that's too short.
  • bruinftbruinft Member Posts: 8
    I've been pretty unsuccessful finding a Fiji Blue Civic Si Coupe with Navi. Apparently, most dealers are out of Civic Si Coupes with Navi to begin with. Sedans with Navi are also getting scarce. I may end up having to wait for the 2008 models and pay a bit more. Anyone know when the 2008 models will be hitting the dealers?
    New models should be on the floor mid September. The specs/prices should be out on August 21st from what I've read.
  • sprisslx01sprisslx01 Member Posts: 2
    I agree with many of the people on this thread; a Si Civic with an Automatic Transmission would be pointless and would not sell.

I disagree with Honda on many of the things they did not include for the non-Si Civics.

For one, the manual transmission's high gears are too short for me. Manual lovers come in two breeds; people like me who want high mileage, and other people who want performance. Honda has the Si for performance yet the Automatic gets better mileage on the highway (albeit the 2008 mileage reports fare slightly better for the manual). I think Honda should have made the final gear taller to get maximum mileage (which is a key reason, especially today, that people purchase a Civic) while saving the shorter, more performance-oriented gearing for the Si.

Speaking of Mazda, who uses a larger engine for sportier models of the 3, why doesn't Honda simply use the Accord 2.4 engine? It may be too large, but they have made slightly larger hoods (like the '96 V6 Accord) to accommodate this.

Why not use the TSX engine?

Honda makes great four-bangers but their love of horsepower with high RPMs usually leaves the torque to be desired.

Wouldn't a larger engine sell more anyway?

Just my two, wordy cents.
    they wouldn't use the tsx engine because now it would be as powerful as the accord. AND it requires premium, which would totally go against the civics quest for economy.

i agree with putting a slightly larger engine in the higher trims of civic (like an se trim), and the k20 that was in the old si and currently in the high trim levels in the jdm civic would fit nicely: 155hp, 135lbs of torque from a 2.0. Not so great gas mileage wise, but still no slouch.

while some honda engines leave torque to be desired, they accomplish the same thing the competitors can with regards to speed.
    so how does everyone feel about this trim?

i personally like it, and the fact that you can now get a leather wrapped wheel straight from the factory. (though i feel this should be standard at least on the ex regardless if its an ex-l or not)

anyone think honda should have invested in a slightly sportier se trim between the ex and si over this, but similarly priced? or should they wait it out till gen 9?
    so how does everyone feel about this trim?

I think the EX-L trim is great. It's about time someone introduced this. Just because someone wants good gas mileage doesn't mean they don't want leather seats.
    true. now all we need is a type of traction control and the civic will be even more competitive.
  • sprisslx01sprisslx01 Member Posts: 2
    I see your point with the TSX engine, but Honda isn't the only manufacturer that is blurring their product lines. Toyota and Volkswagen have been excellent at that. Besides, I wouldn't buy the car anyway cause I like economy, which brings me to the issue:

I'm thinking about getting an '08 Civic. Leather seats are nice, but for that much bread I could get the Hybrid for practically the same amount after tax credits (and yes, I know the quirkiness of this argument since the Hybrid has no leather seats, and since you already know I am someone who prefers frugal cars over speedy ones).

What are the '08 Accord prices? Smells to me like the EX Civic might be more than an LX Accord. Since all the EX models come with are "creature comforts" like moonroofs and the like, its interesting how Honda is changing their lineup.

Oh, and also, I think they should dump the DX.
    I bet you'll see a Value Package Civic in the next two years...

A DX Civic + CD Stereo, A/C, special wheels/covers, and maybe cruise control.
  • mth2mth2 Member Posts: 25
    The honda website shows the 2008 EX sedan model with all the different interior choices (leather). Will the SI sedan model have these choices as well? The website still shows the 2007 model.
This discussion has been closed.