Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper Transmission Problems

edgarinedgarin Member Posts: 3
i have a 89 trooper 4x4 automatic transmission 4doors 4cyl, and it does not shift correctly because it shifts at 4500revs on normal drive (not full throtle), from 1st to 2nd runs like 30-35 mph. it shifts to 3rd, but for that i need to go hell fast!!! what could it be ??? does anyone has the same problem ????? i tried to adjust the throtle cable that goes into the trans but was useless.... a sensor maybe ?????? please help me!!

Comments

• nobhilnobhil Member Posts: 2
    I have an 89 trooper II I am also having transmission problems. It shifts into 2nd at about 25-30 mph. then into 3rd at about 40-50 mph. When it shifts down at 40mph or at 25mph the rpm goes way high. I have changed the fluid and filter any other ideas?
    Thanks
    nobhil
  • edgarinedgarin Member Posts: 3
    it seams that we have the same problem, someone said to me it was a sensor iside the gearbox, but another person said that it coul be a sensor wich is on the throttle body, i think i check on that frist, other than getting the transsmision out. now i hate sensors, why dont they do cars like old "just mechanic" could be cheaper :p. If i find the problem ill post it here.
  • nobhilnobhil Member Posts: 2
    I was told it could be the throttle valve cable or transmission solenoid, there are three on mine. My throttle cable is bad so I am replacing it. I was also told, that cable is crucial to the shifting of the transmission.

Thanks,

nobhil
  • socalpamsocalpam Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Trooper that only has problems during extreme heat and/or humidity. Infrequently the transmission will slip into neutral soon after starting the car, requiring me to pull over, turn off the engine and re-start. More frequently the car will "clunk" as it shifts into third gear, again, right after starting the car. This also requires me to pull over, stop, count to at least 20 and re-start.

I've had the car checked out by reputable repair folks who were unable to find anything out without taking out the transmission and pulling it apart at great expense (all of them recommended against doing that). One guy recommended that I leave it alone unless it starts to act up more regularly. He was sympathetic, but since the car doesn't act up on command he felt there was little he could do since he wasn't experiencing the problem.

I drive my kids around and having a car slip into another gear while in motion is disconcerting to say the least. Has anyone else come upon this problem? I've checked for recalls, service bulletins, etc. and am drawing a blank.

I bought the car used several years ago (returned lease) and it now has 83,000 miles on it. I've maintained it pretty well all this time (may have gone a little long on some oil changes) and recently had the transmission and engine flushed/new liquids/etc. I hoped it would help, but no luck.
  • justin236justin236 Member Posts: 2
    I think I might have the same model except my car is a manual transmission. I've actually found that you do swap from 2nd gear to 3rd at about 40 rpms and around 30-35mph. Don't ask me why, but i find if i want any power out of the car at all thats the optimal shifting point.

Don't know if thats how its suppose to be, but the issues seem to correlate.
  • dnewelldnewell Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. It started about 6 months ago. After leaving the car parked for a few days. It slammed into 3rd each time until I reached the interstate and stayed at a consistent speed. It did it again the middle of August after being parked for 2 weeks. But this last Sunday, it was only left overnight. I started it up, backed up and the first time shifting into 3rd, it slammed hard, it also slammed back when downshifting. That is the first time it has reacted in downshifting. she has 127,000 miles on her, I have kept all maintenance including a transmission service 3 weeks ago. I took it back to the mechanic, He is at a loss. His only suggestion is to change the transmission filter which was not done in the flush and fill service. At a cost of aroune $200.00. Or just leave it alone. Im worried about it, I love this truck. If you get any help, please let me know. thanks, Deborah
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Check out the transmission mode switch. pictures

http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/range.pdf

Watch the shift indicator on the dash. If the lights behave strangely, for example indicating R when you have the shifter in 3, the mode switch could be the problem. Try cycling the shifter several times to try and clean the contacts.

Read more on this topic in a previous discussion here:

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=1707
  • edgarinedgarin Member Posts: 3
    Well it seams normal, but my problem is that my car swaps from 1st to 2nd in the 30-35 range, and 4000 to 4500 revs, wich is not normal... is like going full throtle in your manual car, and when the engine starts to scream! you swap to 2nd... wich it'll be cool if it was a NASCAR or a kickass camaro or something...

the thing is that i dont have the money to take it to a especialized tranmission guy... but if somebody knows what it is please tell me so i can save some money on diagnostics and stuff.
  • mbarnhartmbarnhart Member Posts: 1
    I mistakenly took out a bolt near the top of the transmission on the drivers side thinking it was the filler plug. Later, I found the right filler and put the first bolt back. It is about 3/8" by 2 " long and has a long nonthreaded end that must be some sort of adjustment. So after all was said and done and I started the rig up and went to back out of my shop I couldn't get it in reverse!
    5th gear was hard to get in but the others were OK. Yikes! what have I done? The bolt was screwed all the way in when I first started so that blows my theory that it ony needs to go in part way as some sort of adj. Help!
  • mglossipmglossip Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 trooper 3.5 liter, since it has been cold this year, when i push the throttle any more than 1/2 way, or even when i first start it, there is a strong and loud ratteling sound. i bought it last january, so the cold is no different. could this be a transmission problem or something else. i heard these trannys arent that strong. if you can help, im all ears. thanks
  • maryhannahmaryhannah Member Posts: 4
    our trooper is stuck in park and wont go into any other gears, it is getting worse and I think it is the weather, but it was stuck at the store and now it is in front of our driveway and it needs to be in it, because we cant park our other car in it
  • mglossipmglossip Member Posts: 5
    I would probably take it to the dealership or mechanic. i cant picture it being cold enough for it to be stuck in park. or check the fluid in the tranny.
  • maryhannahmaryhannah Member Posts: 4
    thank you for the advice we did get it in the drive way, if you turn the key, but dont turn on the car, you can put it into neutral and start the car, so that is how we got it in the driveway, but thank you.
  • johnblazedjohnblazed Member Posts: 6
    I got a 94 trooper automatic transmission, about 208 000 kms on it.
    Hey guys i need help here. a few days ago my "check transmission" light on the dash starter to blink at me. then all of a sudden i slowed right down, and it was revving REALLY high but i was only doing about 40 kms (roughly 25 miles) so i stopped my truck and i smelled this awful burning smell, it definetly wasnt oil. so i topped off my fluid level it seemed it went way down for some reason, im guessing that was the burning smell, perhaps transmission fluid. so basically i cant get outta first gear, i had to drive it in low gear all the way home. now the thing is everything is fine with it except i cant get outta first gear, it revs extremely high but im only doing about 40 km/hour. and yes the check tranny light is still blinking. I dont have the money right now to bring it to the garage i Just want an opinion from someone. do i need a new tranny? is it some other problem? has this ever happened to anyone? i need answers. PLEASE help
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    IMHO it sounds like a bad transmission problem. Since you were on the road and then experienced the problem, I don't think your Trans mode switch would be the problem, but it is easy enough to check it. Search this forum or others or get a manual for how. It is usually the culprit for many problems, but I am afraid that the overheating and current behavior of the trans means the trans itself is damaged and will need repair. The smell was likely overheated trans fluid, and even though you topped it off, you are not doing it any good still trying to drive it.
    The check tranny light means a code or codes have been set and can be read to help learn what is going on.
    One guys opinion, good luck.
  • leahlv2266leahlv2266 Member Posts: 1
    i AM GOING THREW THE SAME SITUATION WITH MY 95 TROOPER, 223000 MILES. I had "certified mechanic" look at it today and he told me the trans was burned up, that I needed to replace the cost would be 2500. For some reason I still want diagnostics to be ran, maybe just wishfull thinking. I dont know if this helps you out or not? Please reply with any news.
  • gwiazgwiaz Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone I'm glad I found this site. I've had a 92 for a couple years now. Mileage is unknown, the guy I bought it from had put in a speedo with 40.000 miles on it just before I got it. It has alot more than that. I got the flashing tranny light a awhile back and it stopped downshifting. At first I thought it was slipping but figured out that If I manually shift to low @ a stop I can take off normally and can shift up through the gears as I speed up. Kind of a manual automatic. A dealer ran the check and told me the shift lever position sensor was not sending any signal to the computer and they could put a new switch and harness on for $500. I took it home and looked at it. I found the wiring harness from the switch had fallen against the exhaust manifold and a few of the wires had melted together. I separated them, nothing was too badly burnt, taped them up and tied the harness away from the manifold. I still have the flashing light and it still won't downshift. I figure the box was cooked when the wires shorted. There is no longer a dealer within 90 miles but a boneyard in town has a 92 sitting in their yard. My question is: is there a separate computer for the tranny and if there is where is it? Any other suggestions or comments will be appreciated. One more thing, any one know where to get reasonable exhaust parts? Thanks in advance for any help Ray
  • spike7spike7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 89 Trooper 2 4wd, 4 cyl Auto trans [Asian type1?]. After new engine installed last month, 10 days went by, and transmission starting shifting "eraticly". Most problems are 4th [O.D.] down to 3rd around 30-40 mph. The truck was taken to transmission shop and they cannot find problem. Thjey have changed some solenoids, checked sensor's etc, but no help. I did have the trottle cable worked on after engine was put in, could this be my problem? The truck has 55K original miles, transmission was very tight and flawless prior to engine replacement. Can anyone help with advise?? Thank-You,CP
  • sekwestbrooksekwestbrook Member Posts: 1
    where do i add transmission fluid? no one can find a way to put it in. 1999 4x4 isuzu trooper. i seem to have a small leak thanks to the guys at the oil changing place looking for it.
  • billyapexpertsbillyapexperts Member Posts: 1
    I need to know how to get into normal mode....Not winter or power mode....Thanks
  • HHtrooperHHtrooper Member Posts: 1
    Just got an estimate to have a used transmission put in my car for about $2200. The Trooper is still drivable, but acceleration from a stop to about 30mph is very slow. Feel like I'm really stepping on the gas and not moving fast. Seems to run better in the cold weather, but I'm in TX so not much of that here.

It has 120K and seems to running okay otherwise. Have been having this acceleration problem for over a year but no one's been able to diagnose it.

My concern is that I'll put the money into a new transmission and either that won't solve the problem or something new will arise.

Have a baby due in 2 weeks and wondering if it'd just be safer to get something newer. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • atrent1atrent1 Member Posts: 1
    This exact same thing started happening to my 2001. I had AAA tow it to my local AAMCO and it turns out there is metal in the fluid. They said 3rd and drive was completely gone. I approved them to go ahead and drop the transmission and go to work. If they totally rebuild it the cost is $1451.00. AAMCO is about the only people I will trust as there is no longer and Isuzu dealership anywhere around. I think the value of these vehicles will start to decline rapidly since Isuzu Auto pulled out of the U.S.
  • tdarden3ktdarden3k Member Posts: 2
    Hello
    Found your reply today and was wondering if you ever got your trooper repaired. Sounds like I have the same problem. Rev and 4th seenm normal but starting in drive or 1st or second moves very slow until around 30 mph. If you repaired it what was the final cost ? Thanks
  • tdarden3ktdarden3k Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Isuzu trooper with 140k on this transmission. This is the second factory transmission as the first went out under warranty at 95K. This one out of the blue, takes off very slow in drive, 1st, 2nd. but takes off fine in Reverse and thhe lowest gear. I do not hear or feel any slipping however, just hig revving until it get to 30-35 then seems to run fine. Anyone been down this road before ?
  • cacho72cacho72 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same exact problem in my '92 Trooper. when I start the motor it seems to be OK, but once the truck starts running the gears doesn't shift up and the RPM gets high, suddenly the 2nd gear shifts and the check trans start flashing on the dash. I have to manually shift the gears to gain a reasonable speed. If I stop and re start the the motor, flashing goes off but once it start running it repeats all again. I have this problem appearing and disappearing since several months, but now it seems that it won't disappear. Did you get your tranny fixed? any advice?
  • farmgoodefarmgoode Member Posts: 7
    look on the bottom of the pan there are two drain plugs find the one that is on the back of the right side in the corner.start and drive car till good and warm. put car in park with the engine at idel speed remove the plug with 19mm socket if fluid slowly drips out it is full. if not you must get a squeez bottle with a small hose and squeez the fluid in until a slight drip starts. note hose will have to go in the hole 3or more inches so the fluid will not come pouring out.

good luck
  • anointedanointed Member Posts: 5
    how to change transmission oil 2001 trooper isuzu
  • hrtrooperhrtrooper Member Posts: 1
    I have an 89 trooper 4 cyl auto. The problem i am having is going down hill at aprox 55-58 MPH and letting off the throttle just a fraction the transmission will down shift to 3rd sending the rpms racing. It will stay in 3rd until either the road flattens out or you accelerate even more to around 65 mph then it will up shift. Now this only happens going down hill, going up hill or on flat ground it shifts and runs just fine. Any thoughts on this??? Oh yeah the fluid level in the tranny is fine.
    Thanks
  • nate33nate33 Member Posts: 1
    i just got a 93 trooper about two days ago.i was driving it home and i had to put gas in it.the battery was bad and the truck shut down .we got it started again and i got it home and bought a new battery but then for the next two days the car would not go into rev. and sound like something was holding the the trunck from moving. i went outside today to clean the car out and my wife told me to try to go in rev and it went but now its like the truck doesnt want to get out of first gear i went to school to be a mech and i,m alittle good but this truck is starting to give me gray hair does anyone know how to fix this problem
  • snorkel68snorkel68 Member Posts: 1
    2002 Isuzu trooper - transmission did not engage after twenty minutes of driving barely making it to our destination by coasting into the driveway. After two hours the vehicle cooled down and the transmission reengaged - only drove it a block. Transmission fluid level is fine and no leakage spotted - is this potentially a filter issue? Any suggestions?
    it's the trany the clutch pacs are gone . you can try to flush the cooler but it,s hard you must drain the fuild . but you not going to get much out . go buy the dex#3 flush the trany severl times pull the cooler lines in inertvells.and back flush sevral tmes. then buy tran medic or equal and run though it.let me know.
  • n2rnrn2rnr Member Posts: 1
    Hello,I recently bought a trooper with a auto transmission.ysterday,in Drive,the truck went into a false neutral,and rev'ed a bit. Im wondering about adjustments as Im Just learning about troopers etc. I have noticed,and a friend confirmed,that the indicator when in Drive is/was feeling a little faint. Im wondering If its the linkage? and Is that adjustable and how. I also want to check,then maybe change the transmission fliud,for peace of mind,so I know where Im at with it, I cannot afford a New transmission,as I just bought the vehicle.So hopefully,I cant Nip this... to prevent futher damage. Thank you
    hey, there are a just ments on the linkage . but also theres a nutrul safey switch. with about 1/8 th ajust but if it start in park mod. its not the safe switch. this may not be prob. try to flush the cooler in the radiator. its a pain. but this is a big promb.. with this things you can also take the shifter from the inside has a littel ajustment.look and see if some one as tried to ajust. the link. if not let me know.farmgoode
    i have no power brakes you can stand on them and it will come to a stop slowly .its like the anti lock is ingaged all the time.
  • tonloktonlok Member Posts: 1
    hi i got a 90 isuzu trooper and it wont get it out of first gear and i cant figure out why i have tried to figure it out for two weeks now it is so frustrating so if any has an answer to my problem i would really appreciate it. :mad:
  • ohibuddyohibuddy Member Posts: 2
    My tranny won't go... as if parking brake is holding it back. And on the dash the 4x4 light is on, brake and battery light. I have replaced the TCM and still no results any suggestions on what to look for next.
    this modal hade a prob. the chain in the trans4 case may be broke take the front drive shift out!!!!! try to move the turck slowly. i don,t if this is a auto. or 5 speed? let me know.
    is it auto or a 5speed?
  • ohibuddyohibuddy Member Posts: 2
    FYI it was my alternator =)
  • i96trooperi96trooper Member Posts: 1
    Have a '96 Trooper and the auto tranny popped out of OD gear on the highway. Had to drive home at 20mph as it will not upshift. Mechanic friend scoped and shows "vehicle speed sensor". I am looking to see if anyone knows the correct location and part number for this. There is one I can see on the transfer case and then mech said there is one on top of tranny. When I try to order part online, I get 3 or 4 different units to chose from. Even the Isuzu dealer gave me a part # for an ABS sensor, not the VSS. Any help would be appreciated!
  • badger19badger19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 with identical problem. Are you implying that this problem may be fixed by flushing and using transmedic? I'm trying to decide if the vehicle is salvagable.
  • mapfish1mapfish1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this 2000 Trooper and owner said he never used the 4x4. It will not go into 4high and 4low seems not to work although says it's engaged. what could it be?
  • justanoxjustanox Member Posts: 12
    I've got a 2002 Rodeo LS 4x4 with 74k miles on it and I was wondering if you Trooper guys can help. I'm getting a P0141 code (O2 sensor heater circuit, passenger side post-catalytic converter). I've replaced the sensor, erased the code with a scan tool and I'm still getting the CEL!

I've also had an issue with the Trans running 4th gear at high rpm (2900 rpm @ 60mph). If i push it past 70 mph, the tranny clunks real hard and the light comes on. This happened previously this year and I had to replace the tranny. When the truck gets to 60mph, the rpms jump a little then settle back in. I'm thinking wiring issue but no one can figure it out.

has anyone run into this that's had a Trooper? The Rodeo forum hasn't provided any info yet.

thanks!
  • katherkather Member Posts: 6
    I took out a loan for $1700 to have my transmission rebuilt. I have a few issues, most of which I think have a lot to do with my being a single 50ish female. The shop that worked on my car has been extremely evasive and abusive about everything that's gone wrong ever since the work was done. I truly believe that the
    shop took short cuts, and perhaps are not well-versed in the transmission problems
    of a 2000 Isuzu Trooper LS. I NEED WHATEVER FEEDBACK I CAN GET to identify the realities of my situation. I must find a job asap, and I need my car!!.
    One of the first interesting things I read was that my car has a sealed transmission,
    which needs to be replaced, not repaired. Is this true?
    Secondly, the shop that did the work considers anything electrical in nature that
    may be causing the problem to be outside of, ie: not included in the price of the
    work they did. Is this common, acceptable practice?
    Also, another mechanic (very recently) showed me that 5 of the pan bolts were stripped and therefore would not achieve the necessary torque. In one of the pan bolts the original mechanic had placed a wire in the threads in an attempt to have the bolt tighten against it !! Not only had the original mechanic not advised me of the problem, but what he did say was that he "fixed everything he came across like new". Within a couple of months the car wasn't shifting properly, was out of fluid, and when I had asked the original mechanic what the problem had been he snapped at me that "it blew a seal!!, it happens!!" Is it considered acceptable prac-
    tice to rebuild a transmission without making sure it all bolts back together properly?
    The last time I took it to the original mechanic, the transmission would only shift
    manually. The mechanic insured I didn't go anywhere else by insisting I leave my
    car that moment, while taking 3 days to tell me that it was an electrical problem,
    HAVING "NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RE-BUILD". He gave it back to me saying the repair cost $140.00. The transmission worked for about 10 miles, then reverted back to manual-only operation. When I called the mechanic, he yelled at me that it worked when I got it, and when I asked him what had been the problem he fixed,
    he said he fixed a burned wire, and further yelled that he "could spend all day
    explaining it too me but I would never understand!!" I didn't go back. I did, though,
    have two other mechanics look for any trace of a burned or recently repaired wire,
    and there was none.
    I have since done more research and learned that the electrical system needs to
    be "reset" following a rebuild. Maybe he doesn't know about that? I also read in my owners manual that the NEED FOR MANUAL OPERATION IS A MODE THAT THE COMPUTER SETS THE CAR INTO WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY.
    Through all of this the original mechanic has been telling me I only had a 90 day
    warrantee on the work, but when I pulled out the original invoice, it said 12 months.

The mechanic that showed me the stripped bolts also pointed out that what trans
    fluid was there was burned. Does that necessarily mean that the tranny needs to be replaced/repaired again? I have been driving the car manually, but only around
    town, no more than 35mph. Can that alone burn-up a transmission if there is fluid?
    Or is the overheating directly related to the leaking transmission fluid?.

I have 30 days left on my 12 month warranty, but I don't want to go back to these
    guys without some ammunition. I have already filed a report with Fl Dept of Consumer
    Services, which I'm told is supposed to regulate business practices. When the trans shop finally responded, they said two things: my model of "transmission is re-buildable, and the transmission works fine." DCS did nothing and closed the file. I contacted the Attorney General, and they answered back that it was the DCS I had to speak to.
    I can't believe that NEITHER of them has addressed my very specific complaints.
    All of the other mechanics that have seen the car say that I need to take the car
    back and demand that they do it right, but I have absolutely no confidence in that
    idea, and no confidence in either the ability or integrity of this shop.
    I've already come very close to loosing my home. I have to get a job right away, but
    I live in a smaller town, with very few open positions in my field, at my salary range.

I welcome any input that may help me put this to rest.
  • heykennedyheykennedy Member Posts: 1
    Wow! It sounds like this mechanic is a piece of work. I hate when people don't take responsibility for their work. Honesty is so hard to come by with mechanics these days. Obviously this mechanic also lacks social skills if he can't be courteous with you.
    My suggestion is make sure you document every bit of communication and work that you have with them with dates/times. You can also consult an attorney. Some attorneys will even write a letter on your behalf with your expectations to the repair shop. Just having it on legal letterhead may add some persuasion that they need to get it in gear and help resolve the issues they've created. You might also see if one of the other mechanics you've spoken with will go with you to the repair shop and have a sit down with those guys. That way you can have it all laid out for you and the mechanic you bring with you and can call BS or ask questions if things are unclear right there on the spot. Again, document everything. The only problem with trying to take another mechanic with you is that it might be taboo to do so...since they are competitors. But doesn't hurt to ask. Offer them some cash for their time. It may be well worth it.
    You can also talk to your local news agencies (TV and newspaper) to see if they might help you set things right if the above doesn't work. Our local TV news has a segment where they confront bad businesses on consumers behalf on the news.
    Good luck. I know it is frustrating.
    I just took my 2000 Trooper in yesterday to begin having it's transmission rebuilt today. I am hoping they are an honorable shop. The Better Business Bureau gave them an A+. That reminds me...you can file a complaint with the BBB also.
  • katherkather Member Posts: 6
    Thank you so much for taking the time to read my long message and respond!.
    I have found a low cost atty service, they're next, and hopefully more readers will
    respond, especially transmission mechanics, so that I can show technical as well as consumer responses to the atty.
    I was hoping the Dept of Consumer Services guy would stand beside me on this, he
    even told me on the phone that he would keep pushing until we got a satisfactory
    response, then the next thing I got was his letter completely dropping the ball.
    Believe me I've thought alot about paying one of the other mechanics to go in with me, but they're in another city, and likely to consider it too much an imposition to
    begin with. And I have contacted a couple of "investigative reporter" scenarios, but
    they have either not responded or brushed me off with a form letter.
    Thanks again for your support, a little outside empathy goes a long way for me
    these days.
    KatheR
  • etopetop Member Posts: 1
    My buddy had the same problem. We jacked it up
    and checked to make sure the drive shafts to the front hubs were
    turning, they were. We pulled the wheels and the snap ring on
    the right front was broken. Replaced the 16 cent snap and the
    drive on the front worked.
  • rmac64rmac64 Member Posts: 3
    my trooper did the same thing today, thats why im here. got answers? let me know
  • rmac64rmac64 Member Posts: 3
    i had this too and it also was my altenater. had to unplug from battery, charge system overnight to reprogram the brain, it works fine now
  • lslaluzlslaluz Member Posts: 1
    My 94 trooper with 235,000 miles recently had the transmission completely rebuilt after the original tranny finally went out: new clutches, torque converter, valve body, solenoids, the whole nine yards. After the rebuild, everything worked fine except cruising on the highway in OD. When not deliberately on the throttle, the car would shift from 4th back to third with high rpms, until i pushed the accelerator again. The transmission shop has worked non-stop for the past 3 weeks, going back through, disassembling, reassembling, replacing all solenoids again, vehicle speed sensor, throttle position sensors, wiring, etc. After weeks of combing through everything again and again, we are at a loss. The car works fine, except in Overdrive on the highway. Any thoughts?