Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 BMW 3-Series

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I don't know what's worse, the demise of the 8500 RPM Inline-6, or an SUV with an M badge.

Both are reasons why I'll probably never own a BMW built in the 21st century.
  • jmarounjmaroun Member Posts: 151
    A necessary move in the right direction of progress. There's nothing to fear since fuel efficiency says nothing about power/lb ratio. I expect this ratio to steadilly increase along with efficiency. Hopefully much more effort will be placed on reducing the denominator of that ratio. My turbo'd 335i is just as high reving as my ni 330i and I hope that aspect doesn't change.

This news isn't surprising at all. I expect a new M3 in less than 3 years time.
    Can't wait!!

Joseph
    San Diego
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    As long as it's an inline 6, I'm happy. If I ever see a V-6 in a BMW I'm going to throw up. :cry: It took me years to accept a V-8, but I caved in when I remembered BMW's history had precedents. V12s don't seem relevant to 3 series cars.
    "My turbo'd 335i is just as high reving as my ni 330i and I hope that aspect doesn't change."

Yes, but neither of those is an M car. I don't care if BMW puts a turbo V-6 in every grocery getter they sell (I'm not buying one anyways) - as long as they leave the M's alone. M cars are supposed to be special, focused, and uncompromised.

What they're doing with the M cars tarnishes the whole brand. It's like hearing a punk rock song from your favorite independent band in a TV commercial for maxi pads. It's a sell out, nothing more.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Anyone else experience the newer generation iDrive that's found on the 2009's?

Among other things, the graphics are much better. You now have the ability to go back to the previous screen and the surrounding buttons that go directly to a given function such as "Audio" make using it quicker and easier. Redundant controls for the radio with six preset function buttons are available as are climate control functions so you can totally bypass the iDrive for routine use.

I think IDrive for all its bad press is really easy to use and is much more intuitive. It greatly trumps the Command Center controls of the Mercedes while still overall falling short of those found in Japanese marques. The single control of the round dial on the console has been trend setting and iDrive, I believe, will continue to improve.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,342
    What they're doing with the M cars tarnishes the whole brand. It's like hearing a punk rock song from your favorite independent band in a TV commercial for maxi pads. It's a sell out, nothing more.

At the 2001 X5 4.6is press intro BMW NA's Martin Birkman told me why the hot X didn't wear an M badge:
    "An M car typically has a manual transmission, rear wheel drive, and a high- revving engine."
    So much for that... :mad:
    On the other hand, I'm sure BMW realizes that the softer, low-revving M cars will attract more BMW wearers and poseurs. And it appears that the strategy is already bearing fruit... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    ". . .it appears that the strategy is already bearing fruit..."

Already?

Hasn't this strategy been in play since the '80's, when the "driver's car" became the must-have accessory of the upwardly-mobile?

It appears to have worked every time it's been tried, for going-on 25 years.

The fact that actual car guys have shunned the brand in recent years, for a variety of reasons, is beyond irrelevant in the land of the BMW marketing "team."

There's more at the door.

Oh boy.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Hasn't this strategy been in play since the '80's, when the "driver's car" became the must-have accessory of the upwardly-mobile?

Yes, but the M cars were the last refuge of the real enthusiasts. Now even more M driver seats will be filled by imbeciles who think that trailing throttle oversteer is a band that used to open for Kansas.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Here's what put the 3-series on the map...

Andrew McCarthy, Molly Ringwald, and a 325.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    The engine change aside, shorter term concerns exist.

They might need to do another movie quick...

CEO says BMW in “biggest crisis in its history;” rivals have similar concerns

BMW, which has seen it sales double since 1999, is now in the “biggest crisis in its history,” CEO Norbert Reithofer told Germany’s Spiegel. Like all automakers, BMW’s sales have been hit hard by the financial crisis, but the company’s reliance on leasing for a large percentage puts it in an even more vulnerable position.

Reithofer isn’t alone in his sentiment. Daimler boss Dieter Zetsche admitted the situation could easily be the “worst crisis since World War II.” If that’s the case, expect more job cuts and production slowdowns at Mercedes and BMW.

Even Volkswagen, which has a much broader brand and model mix, is concerned about its future. “We have never before seen this kind of a crisis,” chairman Martin Winterkorn said. He said it would be impossible for his company to avoid “difficult cuts” and “painful” measures.

According to the New York Times, luxury cars from BMW and Mercedes are beginning to pile up at U.S. ports. But they aren’t the only ones. Literally thousands of Toyota and Nissan models have filled acres of land at the port in Long Beach, California. In fact, Mercedes, Toyota and Nissan have requested to lease additional space at a 160-acre lot to park their slow-selling cars.

Recently, Toyota Executive Vice President Mitsuo Kinoshita characterized the current situation as “an emergency, of a magnitude we have never seen before.”

So is any automaker immune to the economic collapse in America, Europe, and Asia? Simply put: no. After all, Mercedes, BMW, VW, and Toyota are usually thought of as the most stable automakers in the world. Their survival will depend entirely on their ability to quickly adapt to slowing sales. Without the same rigid union and legacy costs of the Detroit Three, we’re hopeful they’ll all pull through.

Regards,
    OW
  • xman7xman7 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know if 'Training and MACO' ($560) comes from BMW charge to dealer on every car?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    Training is $180... that is on every US delivered BMW.

MACO is a regional advertising charge, that varies by location.. Probably 90%-95% of dealers pay this. Averages $300-$500 in most locations.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks, kyfdx.
    Hi,

Do you know if 'Sales Tax $0 (BMW will cover sales tax for the month of December) ' applys to all 3 serise in purchase? I have just purchaseed my 328ci two days ago. But dealer didn't mention it to me at all. Please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,588
    That's a Texas thing, not a BMW thing..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• espanespan Member Posts: 2
    I priced out both 2008 and 2009 328i on edmunds. I found out the calculation did not include any paint charge in the invoice for 2009 model, but added the charge (500) for the 2008 model. Did dealer actually pay for the paint charges? I need some help in this to give an offer to my dealer. Thanks.
  • sammybmwsammybmw Member Posts: 19
    I'd agree that price increase was too much for the 2009 with little in return and don't forget that was after a mid-year price increase. The removal of the Logic 7 from the base 335 without discounting was a nasty trick. Will they take the HID's next? I was considering waiting to buy a 2009 in 2009 and then I saw the price increase. I just couldn't see where I got much in return for the huge increase so I bought a 2008 335i late in the year, (i still see some available online) BMW unlike other high priced, poor value cars like MB for instance does make the best car in the class, the 335i so the high price is partially justified. imho

general comment for discussion. since when do so many need these "all wheel drive" cars with its weight/mileage and other disadvantages to drive around in the winter. How about snow tires and sensible winter driving? Maybe even some added weighted over the rear axle.
    Yeah, an 09 335i just can't be justified over an 08.
    Anyone into buying now should consider all their options.
    Buying a used car these days REALLY makes sense!
    People in a crunch are even more desperate to sell than dealers!
    If I could, I'd seriously take this time to think outside the box.

For example, you could cop a 2006 997 911S! :blush: for less than 60k right now!!!
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&pa- - - - - - ge_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=9212- - - - - - 8&marketZipError=false&style_flag=2&body_style=COUPE&make=POR&model=911&make2=&s- - - - - - tart_year=2006&end_year=2010&min_price=&max_price=60000&seller_type=b&transmissi- - - - - - on=Manual&engine=&drive=2+wheel+drive&doors=Two+Door&fuel=&max_mileage=45000&col- - - - - - or=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&only_photo=1&only_price=1&sort_t- - - - - - ype=priceDESC&body_code=2&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZip- - - - - - Error=n&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=&rdm- - - - - - =1229711447623

For those privelleged few immune to the insecurity of the day, it could be quite a Merry Christmas this year indeed! For the rest of us, thank goodness dreams are still free.

Ho Ho Ho,

Joseph
    San Diego
  • joesaojoesao Member Posts: 19
    What's the best way to find the invoice prices on the different packages of the 328i, and then figuring out the lease payments from there? I want to find out the bare minimum I could offer to various dealers in my area.... Thanks!
    The BMW 3-series base price went up $700 for MY2009. For comparison, here are some other makes:

The Mercedes C300 went up $1,300.
    The Audi A5 went up $800.
    The Infiniti G35/37 went up $1,000.
    The Lexus IS350 went up $300.
    The Cadillac CTS went up $2,230.
    The Volvo S60 went up $1,825.
    The Lincoln MKZ went up $1,715.
    The Saab 9-5 went up $695.

Looks to me like the BMW is not out of line with their MY price increase. And your $700 actually gets you some nice stuff - not the least of which is the much improved front and rear styling.
    Looks to me like the BMW is not out of line with their MY price increase. And your $700 actually gets you some nice stuff - not the least of which is the much improved front and rear styling.

That's worth much more than $700; at the very least it ensures that your E90 will no longer be mistaken for an Infiniti G20:

• johnnye1johnnye1 Member Posts: 1
    Sad news is RFTs are once again OEM on 3 series. BMW is losing sales over the problem. My advice, based on my personal experience: DON'T!

2006 330xi best car I've ever driven EXCEPT FOR THE RUN FLATS! Have read multiple posts on many sites..nobody likes them, Sentiment for class action is there. Sadly, BMW NA has stuck its head in the sand, ignored customer pleas for resolution and worse--denies there is a problem. Further, I just replace with a new set of Continentals and noise persists.

Good Luck all---just be aware!
  • gatorbrickgatorbrick Member Posts: 2
    I just got an offer for a 335i sedan, sports package, nav system, for 50,775. They dropped price by $2000 over the phone. The price is now $48,775. Do you think they will go even lower?
    I think some are missing part of the point I was trying to make, The Logic 7 had become optional on the '09 335, therefore those who want it, pay an extra $875 MSRP!. The Base Price increase for a 335i Sedan is $800. And for those that want the sport package but don't want to pay extra for the now included shadowline trime will pay an additional $350. That totals $2025 increase in MSRP for the 2009. (Invoice around 91% of MSRP) I also got the free automatic - MSRP - $1260. I paid invoice for the '08 and sales tax is 8% so I saved $3,353.40 on the '08 versus a similarly equipped 2009 given that I could get the '09 at invoice. For me, the 2009's upgrades - the styling changes weren't worth the extra $$$$. Of course, it is true that you can't get exactly the same car off the dealer lot as you would order. I ended up giving up the HD radio at $350 for a Sirius Satellite Radio at $595 so I paid extra $225 invoice. I may have forgone the auto trans if I ordered by since it was free, I took it. Not many manuals on dealer lots.
    $48.7k???? Unless you mean including tax/registration ..the price is $4k too much

09 335i Sedan with Sports Package, and Navigation: $43.8k on carsdirect.com
    -> http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=92128&acode=USB90BMC312A0&restor- - - - - - - - - - - - e=false
    09 335xi " " yadayada..: $44840 -> http://www.carsdirect.com/build/options?zipcode=92128&acode=USB90BMC313A0&restor- - - - - - - - - - - - e=false

And these numbers are with no negotiation... meaning you can definately get them down by at least $500 to $1000.

Even if they throw in Premium Package.. the price they've quoted you is more than $1.6k too much.

Good Luck,

Joseph
    San Diego
    All manufacturers increase the price of options/packages along with base prices, so again, BMW is no different than any of the others.

Yes, for Logic 7 fans, it's a bummer that BMW made it optional for 2009. Other than that though, everything else is standard industry practice. As for the "free automatic," I'm guessing that was a dealer move to get rid of a car that's been sitting on the lot for many moons - not a BMW promotion.

From the info you provided, here's what I see. The car you would have ordered was a 2009 335i with MT, SP, Logic 7, and HD Radio. After destination charge, the 2009 has an invoice price of $40,780. The car you bought is a 2008 335i with Auto, SP, and Sirius. after destination, it had an invoice price of $39,160.

So yeah, you spent $1,600 less by buying the 2008 off the lot (again, the "free" auto tranny doesn't count). You got a great car and saved some money, so that's good. The alternative would have been to spend the additional $1,600 and get the EXACT car you wanted and get a car that's one year newer (and has not accrued one year of depreciation).

Again, every car company raises prices and rearranges options/packages with the new model year. For you it made sense to buy last years model, for others - maybe, maybe not.
    The free auto tranny is a BMW NA offering only on the 2008's. It's on their website "* Be sure to ask your BMW center about adding an automatic transmission at no cost." Check it out link title. Unfortunately, some folks missed it or are missing it. So the final cost was actually below invoice. The difference between the 2008 335I and 2009 for the same equipment was as I posted $3,353.40 including the 8% sales tax. I'm very certain of my numbers. I didn't detail the other options - ZPP (Premium Package), 494 - Heated Seats, 2XA - Paddle Shifters, 6FL - iPod and USB Adapter along with the aforementioned ZSP (Sport Package), Steptronic, and Sirius Satellite Radio. I already mentioned that the car was very close to the one I would have ordered except Sirius vs. HD. In my case, I keep the cars for a long time, I have a 94 325 so the one year depreciation was not an important factor for me, though it would be for someone that trades their cars in after several years. People should make choices based on the facts and their personal preferences and situation. I made my choice. And there are a few 2008 335i's left. Cars are not flying off the dealer lots due to the recession and in the North, folks have been sold on the necessity of all wheel drive. It's funny the other night, a driver of poor skill even got an awd stuck in the road without a lot of snow on it. And when you are driving down the road, those awd and 4wd vehicles are in the ditch along with the 2wd cars.
    Hmmm, I didn't know the free auto transmission was a BMW promotion - way to go. Given your preferences, I agree you did well choosing the 2008 model. Congrats on your new car.
    Cars are not flying off the dealer lots due to the recession and in the North, folks have been sold on the necessity of all wheel drive.

Yes, the driving public has certainly been dumbed-down; I've even heard some poor imbeciles claim that they need AWD because they need to be able to drive in the rain.
    Pathetic.

We've had snow and ice on the roads here in Seattle for a week now and it's only reaffirmed my decision to NOT purchase an AWD car.

Once the roads got slick, my wife and I did just fine with our FWD Volvo and all-season tires by simply slowing down, being smooth, and not trying to climb hills that are too steep.

Now that we have inches and inches of snow on the streets (only major roads get plowed up here), the Volvo is completely trapped in the driveway and we're staying home (as we should). I feel sorry for all the people that bought a 330xi or G35X thinking they'd be able to drive year-round - only a vehicle with traction tires and ground clearance can go out right now.

The M is in the garage and still shiny clean, hooked up to a battery tender...
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    He-he. We got 29" of snow this weekend and my all-season (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) shod FWD commuter hack (a new Mazda3) did just fine this morning on the way to work. That said, here in New Hamster even small residential cul-de-sacs (like our street) get cleared during (sometimes more than once) and again immediately after the snow event. The only issue I had to deal with was the 55"+ high berm left at the end of my driveway by the snow plow. :-/

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I remember those days growing up in Montreal. Good money clearing driveways as a teenager though.

Seattle comes to a grinding halt as soon as snow or ice touches the ground. Fortunately, no power outages this year - and a white Christmas for sure :) (very rare for this area).

Happy Holidays!
    No power outages huh? Geez, we got a double whammy this month. Late in the evening of 11-Dec we were in the midst of an ice storm where we got over an inch of ice and of course lost power. Power was restored almost exactly eight days later during the early evening of 19-Dec, just in time to stow the generator and break out the snow blower. Over the next forty-eight hours we got that twenty-nine inches of snow.

The good news is that we love snow, so the more the merrier. :shades:

Happy Holidays back at'cha. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    . . .just in time to stow the generator . . .

Having (sadly) left the cold country years ago, I always thought having a generator was the way to go. Do you switch over the whole dwelling, or just power essential services (lighting, furnace blower, etc.)?

Self-sufficiency at its finest.

Merry Christmas & a happy new year, BTW, to another person not driving a BMW, though I believe we both thought we were going to be by now. At least you have in the past.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • gregg10gregg10 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone found it to be painful when resting your leg against the side of the center console?
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    NH is by far the best state I've ever driven in for clearing the snow quickly and efficiently. I miss those NH plow drivers!
    We're getting dumped on here in SW CO right now and we could use some of those NH plows right about now.
    Wife's xi with Blizzaks is still a snow cat our here!
    Last week I drove my 1999 Wrangler through a sleet and ice storm and never engaged 4WD once. The tires are Dunlop RVXTs which are all season tires that also carry a winter rating. My Mazdaspeed 3 POS work beater and my wife's X3 wear Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all-seasons and they work very well.

Our Volvo wears Goodyear Assurance all-seasons. They're very quiet and smooth on dry pavement, but just OK in snow/ice.

My M3 has P Zero Nero M+S tires. I'll take your word that they are good in the slippery stuff - I don't plan to find out for myself. :blush:
    Do you switch over the whole dwelling, or just power essential services (lighting, furnace blower, etc.)?

The whole house. We have a gas (propane) dryer, however, the house was wired for an electric, so I just moved the dryer circuit to the garage, built a 12' 240V extension cord, and back feed the panel from that circuit. I fire up the generator, click off the 200 Amp service from the street, and click on the 30-Amp circuit breaker for the dryer and I'm in business. The only concessions we need to make are some load balancing (i.e. don't run the well pump when the toaster or microwave or toaster oven is on) and no full-size electric oven (I love gas, but electric is what the house came with).

Merry Christmas & a happy new year, BTW, to another person not driving a BMW, though I believe we both thought we were going to be by now. At least you have in the past.

Thanks, and back to ya. :D Yeah, had our new business venture gone better; that was the plan. Instead, it went Tango Uniform and what with A) the old Dodge Grand Caravan having clocked some 90,000 miles in the last 2.5 years (running the odometer to 170,000), and B) landing a new contract that is going to require nearly 30,000 miles per year, I just bought a new Mazda3 i Touring 5-Speed. That car is going to serve as my commuter hack until I can get back into a BMW, at which point it will be used to teach both of my kids the art of driving a manual transmission. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
    I constantly have this problem with 3-series cars. Just the way I'm built I guess. One reason I never owned one.
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    I drove my 328xi and 335xi out of 16"+ of snow this past weekend just west of Boston. I put them in 1st gear, disengaged the clutch and drove out like it was 80 degrees on a sunny summer day. The '08 328xi has the Bridgestone EL42s and my '07 335xi has the ContiProContact RFTs. No hesitation whatsoever. I will grant that the 328xi has only ~4K miles, and my 335xi is about to top 15K, but I have not experienced any issues at all. I know all about the tire issues and I've all but threatened my dealer with everything if they go bad, but they haven't (yet).

I think getting Blizzaks is for the Inuit. When it's too dangerous to drive, don't just get bigger snow tires! Stay home. I really think this is getting out of control. If you're driving up Pikes Peak in January, good luck to you and I hope you get a good parking spot in St. Peter's parking lot.

Just be safe driving, and give yourself plenty of room in front of you. I know - I was just rear-ended by a 2007 Chevy Impala. And I wonder if he had Blizzaks?
  • gregg10gregg10 Member Posts: 2
    What do you drive? I'm in the market and find the 335 to be the best ride, but that damn center console is just too low.
    Subaru. I need to stretch out my legs to avoid the very problem you are experiencing.
  • ad3seriesad3series Member Posts: 3
    I recently got a 2009 328ix and I have a verizon LG-VX8700. I can pair it but it rarely works in the car. Also, the contact list doesn't transfer. I called BMW and they said I need to use one of the "compatible" phones. I was very disappointed with the Verizon listing. Does anyone have any suggestions a good match with a Verizon phone? I would like to get a new one that works better while I am in the car. Thanks!
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    If you're special ordering a 2009 3 Series. Please order the 6FL option. It's the USB/iPod option. This is the factory iPod option that's much better than the dealer installed options. 6FL has both a USB and an aux port. It has full iPod integration but it comes with a special cable. The special Y-cable is needed in order to have full iPod integration. Works just like an iPod and it works really well. The best part is that it's included in the $400 option. It's black and plugs into both USB and Aux. You can use USB devices if you don't have an iPod. This is a must have option. If you can find one on the showroom floor with it then go for it.
  • ad3seriesad3series Member Posts: 3
    I'm not sure that you were answering my question. Thanks anyway.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    So my Dad's '07 X5 3.0si had to be towed to the dealer this morning due to some damage it sustained when he drove over a piece of wood. The last loaner car they have is an '09 328i X drive Coupe. I liked driving this car with a slushbox and AWD, I'm sure I'd LOVE driving it with SPort Suspension, RWD, & a proper 6-speed manual.

Snow traction was brilliant. The ride is firm but not stiff. Great steering and brakes too. I'm impressed!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    How much is performance difference between these 2 sedans? 335ix has more power but its weight is also more. I heard mixed things that by getting 335ix you are getting more powerful car on the top of already very powerful car. Any personal experience.
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    xeye:

Do you need AWD car in a snow area like Boston/Massachusetts? or Can you live with just RWD car?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,414
    With my Dad's '07 X5 in the shop needing a new radiator, condensor, lower front bumper, and a few other very expensive parts (to the tune of $5000), he's putting a claim in with his insurance company. So he's driving my wife's X3 and we've got the 328i X drive Coupe. I've been driving the car all weekend and I really dig the way this car drives (Even with a slushbox & AWD).

I noticed on bmwusa.com under the build your own, the sport package for the 328i doesn't include sport suspension, just bigger wheels/tires, the sport seats, & black shadowline trim. Tell me they don't offer a sport suspension on the 328i coupe!

I've spent some time "building my own" and with the same options, a 328i Coupe and a 135i Coupe come out to be almost the same price. If the time ever came where I'd have to decide, then it would be serious. Not having driven the 135i, the only advantage the 328i has in my eyes are the fact that it is prettier.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

This discussion has been closed.