Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee Grand Cherokee Noises and Sounds

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
edited May 2015 in Jeep
We're consolidating all the mysterious sound and noise issues into this discussion.

See Also: Jeep Forums--Bearing Noises Up Front

Comments

• 99jeep99jeep Member Posts: 2
    Here is the problem my 1999 grand cherokee 4x4 started to developed a humming noise from the front left side and this sound started at 60 KM/H and really gets louder at 100 KM/H or about 65 mph, as time went by it has become almost unbearable. I took it to my mechanic and he said that it was the rear bearings in the back axle, I did not agree as the noise was from the front end. The rear bearings was replaced and the noise was the same. He then replaced the front 2 bearings hub assembly and now things are worse. Before the front bearings was replace the noise would drop to about 50% when I put it into the 4x4 mode and now it has increased by well over 100% in the 4x4 mode. Also when I hit bumps on the road the front left side make a clunk noise and this does not happen to the right side. this also has increased since the front bearings has been replaced and now also when in the 4x4 mode this left side also makes clunk noise when the gas is given and released. He check the front end and all seems fine and does not understand what could be this noise, he suggests that I now replace the bearings in the front axle. Can you please help I have already spent $1200.00 and now things are worse and I cannot afford to spent another $600.00 to replace the bearings in the front axle only to hope that this is the problem! All the sounds and problems all come from the front left side could it be the front differential? This jeep has a in line 6 Please help!
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    My neighbor just went through this last summer on her '00 Limited. I thought her mechanics were trying to take her for a ride, but it turns out the pinion and carrier bearings were shot. While they had it apart, they changed the axle bearings as well. It fixed her problem. Seems like her bill was right at $600 as well. Good luck.
  • lmiller1lmiller1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a Grand Cherokee with a popping in the front end each time you turn left. No one can seem to find the source.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You're fast. :shades: Take a scan through Jeep Grand Cherokee: Problems & Solutions too while waiting for responses in here.
  • dbart1dbart1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 99JGC. It is currently in the shop. Front end components have been replaced, and still have popping sound when backing up and turning. I will repost if and when problem is solved.
  • lmiller1lmiller1 Member Posts: 3
    Mine has now been resolved. The problem was a wheel bearing, that had been replaced but was faulty.
  • grizzlymidgegrizzlymidge Member Posts: 1
    I have a 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 80k on it. Two days ago the Jeep started to make whining sound from the front driver side wheel. It does not occur after the Jeep has sat over night but starts after a couple of trips throughout the day and only happens when you reach a speed of 20mph or higher. The tone changes with the speed, and sounds like the dust shield is rubbing against the rubber of the wheel. No change in tone or feel if the wheel is turned left or right. I have checked the tire, dust shield, pads, and calibers then greased all the points possible. No scaring is present on the tire. I am beginning to wonder if it is the Hub and Bearing Assembly. Any thoughts before I replace this part?
  • mjn99mjn99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Grand Cherokee V8 4WD all the time. The front driver's side seems loose. It pulls dramatically to the left when turning the wheel to the right on the freeway on an entrance or exit. It also makes a humming noise that gets louder as you go faster but only seems to be coming from the driver's side. When going over bumps it makes a noise and the steering feels really loose. It feels and sounds like the wheel is going to fall off. The mechanics told me that it was a rear axle that was bent and the front driver side CV joint axle and boot. Well all that has been replaced and it still runs the same. It is back in the shop again. PLEASE HELP!!
  • t0ka4lyft0ka4lyf Member Posts: 4
    Hey GrizzlyMidge, I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo & just recently have started to have the same exact problem as yours & 99jeep. The driver's side tire makes a persistent "whining" noise whenever I hit 20+ mph, so it is quite an annoying thing to deal with when driving through town. I had just brought it in to the dealer I bought it from, and he thought it was the CV joint bearing... but even after he fixed it, the noise is still there.

I've been searching the net endlessly and have found many others with this same problem, but I haven't found a for sure answer for what is causing the whining noise on the tire. I'll be bringing it back in more than likely so the dealer can listen to the noise himself and maybe figure it out, just would love to find out beforehand what is wrong.. so I don't waste anymore money on repairs.

Any more insight on this is GREATLY appreciated, and I'll definitely post back if I find out what is causing the noise.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    prob is the front wheel berings the come in a unit and if they don't check it well then they put the bad one back the service writer just wright down noise in right front wheel mec looks at wheel drive shaft see broken boot changes drive shaft noise still there
    Thanks for the response, I'll keep your post in mind when I bring my '99 Jeep back into the dealer this next week.

Also, I was doing some more research on the net, and came across what I think is the same problem. I don't have the link on hand, but my search brought me to wjjeep.com .. which is basically the jeep dealership site. I looked under the "Technical Service Bulletins" list, and found a topic for "Front Axle Whine". It said that a whine is produced when the ring bearing & pinion bearing fail to engage properly, this was under the solution for the front axle whine problem... so along with the above post, I will probably mention this to the dealer when I bring my Jeep back in. I'm not too fluent in vehicle parts-talk, but that did sound like it could be the problem.
  • callen41586callen41586 Member Posts: 2
    I don't have a lot of money to take this some where and have it checked and not know what it is and then have some [non-permissible content removed] stick it to me on some carap so here it goes any help would be so so appreciated I have looked every where to figure this out, so ok here it goes

car starts fine runs fine for about 5-10 minutes then all the sudden this loud squilling starts whenever i am idle. When im on the gas.. sound stops! i have replaced the serpentine belt already...not that sounds like its coming right from the genral area of the serpentine belt...car is a 2001 grand jeep cherokee.

Any help would be much appreciate it thank you!!
  • brianpharmdbrianpharmd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4 with the 4L engine. I have a rattle/vibration that appears to be coming from the middle to rear of the Jeep. It develops when the Jeep is stopped and in drive. When I step on the gas, the rattle/vibration disappears. It doesn't matter if it is cold or hot outside, it always is there. If I put the Jeep in reverse or park, the rattle/vibration is not as pronounced. I have had the Jeep into several shops and no one can seem to locate it. It is not the exhaust, drive-train or transfer case that is rubbing or loose. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?
    have them check flex plate bolts to the converter poss they are loose
  • alphonse85alphonse85 Member Posts: 3
    grizzlymidge and t0ka4lyf, i have similar symptoms in my jeep with the rubbing sound coming from the front. did you ever find out what the problem was?
  • alphonse85alphonse85 Member Posts: 3
    what did the mechanic at the dealer say was the problem?
  • steelertedsteelerted Member Posts: 3
    My '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee starting having a loud popping noise at the left front wheel while turning. Any help would be appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    How certain are you that the sound is coming from the wheel?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • steelertedsteelerted Member Posts: 3
    I'm certain that the sound is coming from the left wheel area when turning to the right or left. I stood between the Jeep and the door and reached in to turn the wheel so I could listen to the sound. It almost refused to turn to the right and then popped loudly when I continued to turn. A metal fragment (about 1/3rd of a ring) went flying to the pavement. ????????

Thanks for the quick reply.
    A metal fragment (about 1/3rd of a ring) went flying to the pavement.

I would have that checked out. It could be something in your suspension or shock absorber mounting.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Well, I brought my Jeep back into my dealer and he once again said he found nothing.. and said it really made no sense to him. So I left and just figured that maybe it's just the harsh weather up here in northern Minnesota. (was hardly ever above 10 degrees when the 'whine' noise started)

Then a few weeks ago, once it started getting to be 20 above all day, the whining noise suddenly stopped! I couldn't believe it and figured maybe it was just a lucky day for me.. but for the last 3 weeks, my Jeep hasn't whined once!! That was until yesterday, as the weather up here has once again dipped into the negatives, and on my way home last night... the evil whining noise came back. :( Sucks but now I'm pretty sure that it was just the cold weather causing the noise, because I've found no other reasoning for it. (emailed jeep.com & everything, no help at all)
  • parttimerparttimer Member Posts: 2
    My I6 4.0 Liter Laredo has developed a ticking or tapping noise. It doesn't do it all the time. It sounds like a valve or lifter tapping. It will start out soft then get a little louder then it will quit alltogether. Then a few seconds later it will start again. When it stops ticking, it sounds like a switch cutting itself off. A definite clicking sound. Not a fade away sound.
  • steve35steve35 Member Posts: 6
    It's probably a stuck lifter or slightly worn rocker arm. I have the same issue on my 2000 JGC with 149K miles. This engine is an old design (it dates back to the 60s and possibly the 50s)and a little valve train noise is not unusual. Change the oil regularly and cut down on short trips if you can. If it gets worse, then you may want to do new lifters/pushrods/rockers.
  • xscoutxscout Member Posts: 141
    Next oil change, try adding a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil as part of your oil change. Despite the strange name, this is really a good product that has been around a long time. It might just eliminate your problem and does not need to be done every oil change.
  • evg2121evg2121 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the exact same problem!!! I have a 94, 5.2L, 4x4 grand cherokee. The popping noise is in the left front wheel area. It seems to get louder and more consistent after the vehicle is driven for 10-15 miles. I believe this started when I made a hard left u-turn, I heard a load snap noise (like a bolt being stripped), the noise vibrated through the whole vehicle. If anyone knows what is causing this, please let me know.
  • bmanchanbmanchan Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 6 cylinder. Recently it has started to make a tick/tick/tick sound. It makes the sound when I start the engine then gets worse when i rev but after a while the sound goes away. When it is cold out it makes the sound all the time. But when it is warm it either makes it for a few seconds then goes away or it does not make the sound at all. I have no clue what it could be. Can someone help me?
    Have your valves and lifters checked.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bmanchanbmanchan Member Posts: 3
    is it really bad?
    is it really bad?

No, it's a relatively minor problem but I'd have it checked ASAP. The really bad stuff would be if you have a broken rod.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • bgaffordbgafford Member Posts: 5
    What do you mean by this the "flex plate bolts to the converter poss " where is this located? I'm not familiar with this. Thank you for any help???
  • stracer82stracer82 Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 does the same thing. What I did this afternoon was put it in drive and held my foot on the brake, had two friends crawl underneath the back and listen from the inside. It is not exhaust related because its a new exhaust system and its solid as can be, its not vibrating against any part of the car. Ive pinpointed it to be around the gas tank, almost from the top. Though I cant figure out how the gas tank would be directly affected by being in drive at an idle, but it sounds like the fuel pump may be rattling due to differing amounts of aceleration. Try this to see if we are dealing with the same thing, have someone put the Jeep in drive but hold the brake, lay your head in the middle of the carpet in the cargo area over where the gas tank would be and see if that is where your "golf ball int he tank" noise is coming from. Im about ready to have the tank dropped and a new pump installed due to this..BTW my odometer reading is 93,850.
    wait till you see how much a new pump cost
  • brianpharmdbrianpharmd Member Posts: 2
  • ambrosjbambrosjb Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem with my fiance's 2000 Cherokee Classic. I've always assumed it was the exhaust rattling around, but it seems like I might be wrong. I plan on hopping under there this weekend and have someone put it in drive while I'm under there. If anyone comes up with a solution PLEASE post it. I'll be sure to do the same.
  • pmayo38pmayo38 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out what it was?? I'm going through the same thing!
  • cbull82cbull82 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same noise as well as a grinding sound when I turn sharp turns. Any suggestions?
  • gooooontagooooonta Member Posts: 4
    if the jeep "jumps" around when turning it's the transfer case, but if it only makes a loud POP when turning you need to replace your front axles
  • gooooontagooooonta Member Posts: 4
    over the past months my 94 has been making a loud popping noise that has been getting worse and worse. it sounds like you're making popcorn under the hood. it only does it when you hit the gas and moving. i've tried holding the breaks to the floor and hitting the gas to see if it still did it but it doesn't, only when moving. also doesn't make noise when turning, so i wouldn't think its the differential. any ideas?
  • fixjeepfixjeep Member Posts: 7
    This noise is driving me to sell. thumping in rear sounds like loose or broken shock but its not, tightened everything, happens over medium large and some small bumps on or off brakes. I only noticed one thing , both rear axles have some up and down movement possiblly from bearing or axle itself.Anyone run into this?
  • nvtitannvtitan Member Posts: 5
    I had the same issue although probably not as bad as your discription. Are your shocks still the originalls from time of purchase? I recently replaced my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport (55402 Miles) rear shocks with Billstein shocks. No more thump noises. I would also check your rear stabilizer bar bushings, I noticed mine were badly worn and will require replacement soon. If you have never replaced your rear shocks beware of the frame side mount bolt heads snapping off. I had two, one on each side break off and could not get them out even with an easy out. Took it to dealership and had them removed for $120--was not expecting to run into this issue on such an easy task. Use anti-seaze compound on bolts when reinstalling them.
  • nvtitannvtitan Member Posts: 5
    Double check the tension on the belt. Had the same issue after changing my belt and thought I had the tension pully tight enough against the belt. Took it to the dealer and they tightened the tension even more to were the belt has almost zero slack.
    could be the tensioner bering this is a auto adjust item and has marks on it to tell if belt is ok

maybe wrong belt?

installed right

when all is right belt is tight and i mean tight
  • callen41586callen41586 Member Posts: 2
  • pit1pit1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm also expericing the same sound. It seems that when I changed the original shocks this sound started to occur. I installed Monroes Sensa-Tracks, should I have installed the original one from the dealer. Someone told me that the sensa-Tracks arent made for SUV's. First I thought it was the exchaust system that was making the clunking sound. But this was not so. Can anyone help !!
  • fixjeepfixjeep Member Posts: 7
    I raised jeep in the air and had a helper move the rear wheels up and down while i sat in the drivers seat and the noise appears to be what i'm hearing. i was told there should not be any movement up and down just in and out on the axle. I suspect worn axles and axle bearings or both.I ordered axles and timken bearing kit and will tear it apart next week , will update this post soon.
  • gotjeepsgotjeeps Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 that's been squealing for about 3 months, i originally thought that it was the belt b/c it really only did it when it was wet or it rained. now it's doing it all the time. i then thought it was my water pump b/c it was starting to almost over heat. i put some coolant in and i'm no longer having the overheating issue but it's still squeaking. could it just be the bearing on the water pump?

it's got 341,017 miles on it and is an inline 6 if that helps.
  • rodeoboyrodeoboy Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0L engine and the AW-4 auto trans with the Chrysler 8.25 rear axel with 91,000 miles on her. About a year ago, she developed a clopping or knocking noise coming from the rear suspension area. I took it into the dealer and they could not find anything wrong. I took it to an alignment/brake shop and they just tightened and lubricated all the rear suspension parts and that eliminated the sound for about four days, but the sound is back. Does anyone have any ideas on eliminating this annoying sound? It doesn't seem to affect the roadability, but is a little nerve racking.
    have you replaced shocks on the rear

oem shocks have been known to klunk and squeek
  • tcristtcrist Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Cherokee Country that is similar and had the same problem at around the same mileage. I had recently serviced the rear differential. Shortly after that the rear end barked and knocked like a sea lion. Fortunately, I had a mechanic who knew exactly what was wrong. I had failed to add the limited slip additive with the gear oil. Within minutes the sound was gone and have over 140,000 miles on the vehicle. Hope this helps.
  • rodeoboyrodeoboy Member Posts: 8
    I will check into that additive. The noises started before the shock replacement. I know about that OEM shock clopping causer. I have always had the rear diff serviced at the Jeep dealer I bought it from and just assumed they knew what they were doing. I guess once again I may have learned about what you get when you assume. They were the same cats who told me my clogged transmission screen's humming noise on my old 1994 Cherokee was a bad serpintine belt. They just guess a lot. They say never to change the AW4's transmission screen....WRONG!!!

Thanks a bunch. I will be so stoked if that was the issue, but very sad if my rear diff is damaged due to so much misdiagnosing.