Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Problems

Comments

• 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    so if you bypass theinternal cooling line you need to reconnect it with a tranny cooling line bypass kit ,is this correct?
  • lildavidjaxlildavidjax Member Posts: 68
    Yes. It looks like a mini radiator, with one inlet and one outlet. Doesn't matter the flow as long as it goes through it.
    that should do it just make sure its getting air sucked trough it in front of the motor fan, I set one up on an older car that I used for hauling my boat to the launching places and it worked very well,after a long haul I pulled the tranny dip stick out and felt if the fluid was overly hot and it was just warm ,that's good ;)
  • cnielsoncnielson Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I'm crossing my fingers I caught the issue in time. I replaced the radiator and I've spent $300 in fluid flushing the transmission. Its been about 8k miles since the incident and it seems to be OK, but I'm starting to get some slipping on the highest gears. Add me to the class action lawsuit. I'm $1500 into this repair job and don't look forward to another $5k.
    :lemon: did a dealer do the job or even a shop should back up there work ,if you have 3 or more repairs done on the same problem ,then it falls under the lemon laws
  • coltstercoltster Member Posts: 2
    i have had my transmision replaced 3 times under warranty. thats 4 trannys including the original. the last time they told me i had a problem in the radiator. now i'm 11000 over the warranty and my wife tells me her truck was taking a long time to warm up. so i check the coolant and it looks like a milkshake. the oil looks ok and the trans fluid didn't seem milky. i a m going to the dealer tomarrow to see what they say. my question is, if they deem it be trans fluid in the antifreeze the trans will probally be no good down the road even though i can't notice anything yet. should i persist that it is no good because of the fluid alone and go after the lemon law. can i go after the lemon law even though i'm out of warranty. i have about 25,000 miles since the last trans. as i've now learned my fuel gauge not working seems to be a common problem also. i hope having had this many trans problems that i will have some ground to stand on!!!!!!!!
    the lemon law comes under a situation where the same part has an attempted fix of 3 times and did not get fixed, :lemon:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Depends on the state. The dealer gets five bites to fix stuff in Idaho; pretty worthless.
    :lemon: New York # 3 strikes your out. or there out. :lemon:
  • jerry_06pathyjerry_06pathy Member Posts: 10
    Hi, What Model/Year is your Pathfinder ? I have the 2006 model 4x4 , just figured out after my trip for oil change that my Radiator is leaking into Transmission too. Also, I have a check engine light on that just came up showing that its a catalytic converter prob. I guess a warranty covers me on the Converter since its 78000 miles at the moment.
    So, how did u fix yours? Thanks
  • jk05mdxjk05mdx Member Posts: 16
    The links below will lead you to instructions on how to by-pass the radiator cooler which will eliminate the problem in future.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/transmission-radiator-failure-34877/

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/automatic-transmission-radiator-oil-coole- r-bypass-42555/

If you go through the threads you will find different methods of doing the by-pass. You decide on the method to adopt.

Goodluck to you! :D
  • bhogelandbhogeland Member Posts: 1
    No reverse and only one forward gear(2nd). Had vehicle about two months, no clue about Nissan. Also, the power/economy button or the overdrive button won't work anymore...I assume that is because it is in 2nd gear. Oh, and won't roll backwards when the shifter is in neutral. Somebody please tell me that this is something simple like a selector switch or a vacuum line or something. The fluid looks like the normal color and does not smell burnt. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Oh yeah, it is a 2WD with a 3.0 engine.
    your lucky its a 2 wheel drive make sure its parked level and running in park ,now check the fluid , if its right on the mark,then check for loose wires and connector plugs that plug into the tyranny. if you find as loose or hanging down unconnected plug that's it]],last of all take it to a tyranny place that really knows Nissan's,and have them run a computer diagnostic on it ,from there figure out the cost to fix it vs the cost of a rebuilt. ;) ">
  • foxy36foxy36 Member Posts: 3
    My 2005 Nissan Pathfinder had the radiator leak, I had the radiator replaced, the transmission flushed and now I think that my transmission is ruined. My car is being towed at this moment to the Nissan dealership. Thank God my car has 58,000 miles. I am under warranty!! What is Nissan doing about this problem? Does anybody know?
    I am having the exact same issue. What a mess.
    Did you have a problem of coolant leaking into the radiator before this happened? Just wondering if its common among the 06' and up Pathy Models. Good for you since you are on warranty otherwise that would have been a Lot of money. Please share with us how thw servicing goes. Best of luck!
  • coltstercoltster Member Posts: 2
    after the 3rd tranny. it appears that the radiator was not flushed properly during the last repair. they won't own up to it and i contacted nissan and they let me bring it to another dealer for a second opinion. that dealer thinks it was from the previous repair and now the radiator, hoses, water pump and heater core along with a series of flushes needs to be done to fix the problem of not flushing all the tranny fluid out from the last broken radiator. unfortunately i'm past the warranty. i hope nissan will own up to their mistake and take care of it for me. would have been nice to recieve the phone call i was supposed to get today from the regional manager.
    I have a 2003 ,would this year be in the same problem as a 2005 pathy :confuse:

I have seen other posts a month ago on this issue and it seems the cooling line internally in the radiator bursts and let the tranny fluid mix with the antifreeze

The fix is have the tranny flushed good twice and then add a tranny cooling kit in the front or rear of the radiator so air flows throught it and flush the radiator and plug the original in and out lines at the bottom of the radiator and you will never have this problem again
    2003 models should be fine. I think ,according to the forum here, the problem is common with the 2005's. I have the 2006 model. I'm beginning to notice a milky/Oily color in my coolant and radiator. The Nissan dealership here is suggesting I change the Radiator and do a flush which will take so much $$$$ . The indepentent Mechanic here said all I need is aflush that my radiator still looks good. So, now I'm confused.
    Ok, recently my Catalytic Converter went bad. I got lucky on that one. The dealership will be replacing it after xmas since My warranty has not run out. Nissan got somuchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh problems
    Thanks for your contribution!
    Is this problem common with 2006 models of pathfinders?
    I've been on the Pathfinder forum for two or more years now, so far that I've seen, Nissan North America has done absolutely nothing !
    I hope your right on the 2003 is safe,if so I wonder what they goofed on the internal line in the newer models radiators?? :confuse:
    I bought this 2003 pathy from my daughter and she tells me she left the 4 wheel auto on all summer and nothing happened , I read the manual and it say's to use it on slippery paved roads,[wet roads]? so which is correct , and should you take it out of automatic 4 wheels before you shut the engine off in park ,if I dont take it out sometimes I notice a little forward pull ,and then it slips right into park is this normal :cry:
    was your radiator under warranty when this occured?
    I just took delivery of my 06 Pathfinder LE. After going through this thread and reading in similar ones of the frequent occurrence of the failure of the transmission fluid cooler in the radiator mostly in the 05 models and a few 06s, I decided to do the bypass without wasting time. Fortunately, The line had not failed. The fluid was clear and kind of dark red but clear.

The bypass itself was quite easy and straight forward without needing to buy anything. Plugged the long hose to other end of the radiator and connected the short hose to line where I disconnected the long hose from. Just a small quantity of fluid drained out mainly from the radiator line which I poured back into the transmission through the dipstick.

We will see how it goes when I start driving it alot.

To all 06 owners, I will suggest you don't wait to find out if 06s are affected as that would be costly. Judging from what is posted on the threads, it seems the failure is time based, hence 05s are affected now, I won't be surprised if more of 06 complaints are recorded in 2010 and beyond. Do the bypass and rely only on the factory fitted cooler installed in front of the radiator.

I will keep you posted!
    Hi, Can you give me a detailed step on how to do the bypass? I have a 2006 pathfinder and was going to do a flush on the 28th of this month since I have not done one in the last 30,000 miles. Maybe this bypass will be better for me for the long term . Thanks!
    Hey, disregard the previous email. I just saw the Link u gave on the Bypass. thanks!
    Hi I cant find the bypass link ,can you post it ,Thanks
  • topnotch33topnotch33 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 05 pathfinder used last December. I recently have had many problems w/ it. I needed a new fuel sensor and a cataltic converter! I also noticed my transmission was driving a little hard. Well turns out that the radiator went up and the antifreeze went into my transmission. I had the radiator replaced, and now I am waiting to here back from Nissan my car is 190 miles OVER warranty! I'm hoping that they will acknowledge that this is an on going problems w/ the 05's. I had a Nissan before this and had no problems so thats why I got another one! If I knew it was going to be so problematic I would not have purchased another one. Has anyone tried to call nissan after the car had gone over warranty to see if they would fix it? This makes me so frustrated because I have taken to place to see if they could tell what was wrong with it and they kept telling me it was driving fine! If someone would have took the time and done the job correctly I could have had this covered under warranty. :mad:
    Sad to hear this.. I know how it feels... Its a common problem with Nissan. At what mileage did you purchase it? I have an 06' Model and luckily I figured that my Catalytic Converter is bad last month and I got it fixed under Warranty yesterday through the Nissan Dealership. I was this close not to get it replaced under warranty cause' my mileage is 78800.
    Check other forums online to see if some Folks got it fixed at the Dealership under warranty after high miles. Best wishes!
    Jerry
    Warranties for really high mileage used cars
    If your car has high mileage, yes you can indeed get a warranty to cover your vehicle. Call NationWarranty directly for this at (866) 769-1773, you may prefer talking to a human who can answer all your questions about warranties. They have an "any year/any miles" program, no age limit, no mileage limit on your car. My Favorite part: You can also renew this warranty when it expires. NationWarranty can finance you like you would at the dealer, and with only 0% finance charge, no credit check, no fees, just zero interest. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.
    This named component powertrain program includes coverage within the engine, turbo/supercharger, automatic or manual transmission, drive axle assembly (front & rear), transfer unit, some seals and gaskets. Coverage can go up to 36 months or 36,000 miles from the time you added the coverage to your vehicle. It also has this very important benefit: All their contracts cover the manufacturer deductible: In the event of a breakdown of a component covered by this agreement while still under the manufacturer’s warranty, they will reimburse you for any required deductible up to $100 per occurrence less any deductible of your extended warranty. This is unheard of in the warranty world. It's transferable to the new owner when you sell your vehicle, which makes your car sell for more on sites like eBay. Buyers will pay more for a used car with a warranty. High mileage coverage is mechanical breakdown only, wear and tear is not covered. No company will cover wear and tear on high mileage used cars. Coverage throughout the U.S. & Canada: Any qualified repair shop can make authorized repairs. Trip interruption: Up to $200.00 for lodging & meal expenses. Most brands are covered Acura thru Volvo.
  • pathfinder2005pathfinder2005 Member Posts: 1
    We have just taken our Pathfinder to be serviced for the same issues that many have experienced. The transmission was rebuilt and a radiator was replaced. We are now still having the same issues with vibrations between 2000 and 2500 rpm, and not shifting into gear. Does anyone know what else could the issue could be?
  • chipsr1chipsr1 Member Posts: 9
    The "Service Engine" and "4WD" warning lights are on. The truck drives in 4WD only with a heavy THUMP when shifting between gears. The Nissan dealer did a Consult II diagnostic test which cost me $100.00. They found that the transmission cooling line in the radiator failed and leaked coolant into the transmission killing the TCM (Transmission Control Module). My truck was bought new October, 2005 and has 20,500 no towing miles on it. Of course the warranty ran out over one year ago. As the truck drives, should I consider an external cooler and flushing of the transmission before giving Nissan $500.00 for a new radiator and $4500.00 for a new transmission, or replace just the transmission valve body if flushing isn't enough?
    this seems to be an ongoing problem with 2005 and 06 pathfinders, If you look back in these forums about 2 weeks ago you will see they have repetitive problems as yours, flush it twice to be on the right track ,and yes get a transmission cooler kit.
    Hi, sorry I am just getting back to you now. Been pretty busy. Here is the bypass link you requested.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f23/automatic-transmission-radiator-oil-coole- r-bypass-42555/index7.html

Goodluck and all the best!
  • flapper1flapper1 Member Posts: 5
    i have a 1991 pathfinder SE 4X4.....transmission and torque converter have been replaced and no problems encountered until lately......approx 20000 miles since work........transmission fluid is leaking out at front of 'bell housing' where connects to engine......I have engine out now for repairs and am trying to figure where fluid might be coming from.....Upon removal of torque converter i noticed that the seal on front of pump is sticking about an 1/8th out on one side and 3/16's to 1/4 inch out on other side......QUESTION......should this seal be flush with end of pump housing when completely installed? And if so would this possibly be where fluid is leaking from? torque converter came out without problem so i do not beleive this seal was moved during this...... please answer as quick as possible before i spend several dollars rebuilding the engine and wind up with a lot to do to transmission.

thanks
    The torque converters have an inside an O Ring inside the torque converter , if any one installing it or removing it doesnt know what there doing it can split with one wrong move , you need a transmission jack and alignment tool to do this right, just a suggestion..
    When I built my transmission, I found that the seal was flush to the pump when I took it out, so I put it in flush when I put the new one in. If it was cockeyed (like you found it) most likely that was the reason it failed. That should be the only place it could be leaking if it's coming out of the bell housing. Just remember to support the torque converter as you are putting it on the shaft in order to not stretch or tear your new seal. FYI, I also just looked at the breakdown of the transmission in the Nissan service manual again to make double sure I was giving you the correct info. I actually enjoyed building my transmission, so give a shout back if you have any other questions. Good luck!
    David :shades:
    thanks......that was what i was hoping to hear......noticed the reply above yours mentioned an O ring inside the torque converter????? what about that?

thanks again.......automatic transmissions are one thing i have never tried to figure out past the valve body....
    picture is of transmission input shaft and does not resemble the one in my pathfinder.....mine has pump mounted in this area also..
    This picture doesn't resemble mine either. Yours probably has bolts on the outer edge holding the pump and bell housing to the transmission body. Suffice it to say that the seal the torque converter runs on (the one in the front of the pump) and the small o ring on the shaft (in your picture) should be replaced.
    will do that......and you are correct on the bolts.......thanks for the help...
  • gharpmangharpman Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2005 Pathfinder. Started hearing intermittant sound from rear like I was riding over grooved pavement. Brought car in for cooling system service. Was told that there was a hint of tranny fluid in radiator. Called reputable repair place here in Westwood, NJ, Pat Barrett Transmissions (who I have dealt with and they repair a lot more than just trannies). They told me that I should get tranny and radiator replaced.
    Called the dealer and Nissan North America. Dealer was gracious (Hackensack Nissan). Told me that Tranny under warranty, but radiator not; but they would try to get both done under warranty. Initial contact was this past Tuesday jan.4.

Got word today (fri. Jan. 8th) that they would cover both items, but I had to split reduced dealer labor (about $450 my half) with dealer. I said OK, because:

1. The job would cost about $5,000 just for tranny.
    2. My Nissan SE runs on regular gas and has a Moonroof. The new ones all run on premium and moonroof only available on highest end model. Keeping mine 'til we're buried together.

So if you have similar problem don't take no for an answer, If your dealer not cooperative, call Nissan N. A. and deal back from them to dealer. Good Luck.
    have a 2oo3 with 52,000 on it , would I have the same problem down the road with the radiator and tyranny ,and will it be covered , I was told by my dealer the catalytic converter is covered for eight years,. :confuse:
    Not sure of catalytic converters. Appears there's alot of stuff wrong on Pathfinders.
    My advice would be to log in complaints on "whatever ails ya" on the car, so it's on record with the dealer. Otherwise, if something comes up and dealer uncooperative or stalls, call Nissan North America and keep the homefires burning (persistance) until something is done to your satisfacion. In my case, I knew that $450 shared labor was the best deal I could get. Didn't expect Nissan to pick up whole tab for radiator and tranny. They did say that if this turns into a recall, I could recoup my labor charge.
    Hope I helped.
  • muttymutty Member Posts: 4
    I've owned 4 or 5 Pathfinders ( all pre-96) as well as several pickups and have had good luck with all. The '05 Pathfinder appealed to me and I recently purchased one for my wife. It has 80k. I've encountered several problems already since picking it up and now I'm not so sure I made the right choice here. What happened to Nissan?
    I first noticed a problem with the fuel gauge. Goes to "empty" when filling the tank and stays there for 50 miles or better. Can't trust it. Found out that a sensor is the common problem with a $400-$500 cost to fix?
    Next, for some odd reason, the heater blows cold air when stopped ( warm motor) ?
    Third is the tire pressure monitoring system. I'm not wasting money replacing the sensors. Is there any way to extinguish the indicator light?
    Fourth is a strange light vibration from 30 mph on ( brand new tires, etc).
    Fifth is my check engine light on for whatever reason. It did reset and go off briefly. Lastly and most importantly, I've heard that the '05 radiators are very prone to corrosion/leakage causing coolant to mix with transmission fluid and ultimately ruining the trannies. It seems as though there's been alot of people experiencing this and Nissan won't handle it out of warranty. This is absurd considering the amount of problems. As far as I know, mine's ok yet, but I'd like to do some proactive maintenance before it happens to me. I've heard that the radiator cooler can be "bypassed" by disconnecting the tranny lines and plugging their ports. An external aftermarket cooler mounted behind the radiator can be used in its place. Has anyone done this or have info on the size/type of cooler to use? Tips or suggestions? I've also heard of people just splicing the lines together without using a cooler and letting the second fluid cooler do the job. Is there a second cooler mounted in front of the radiator and would this be sufficient? I do not tow anything and live in a cold climate.
    Any info or suggestions on any of the above would be greatly appreciated. I hope I didn't make a huge mistake buying this Nissan. I do not have bundles of cash laying around to maintain it. Is anyone happy with theirs or have any positive things to say? Thanks for reading.
    I dont know why they changed there radiators since 2004 ,maybe you could request a new one or better yet an older one that wont leak into the tranny fluid?
    as far as yourself fixing it with a cooler mounted in front of the radiator is good idea JC Whitney company on the web has many kits for this under $100,oo.
    as for the tire monitors to extinguish the indicator light just place a cut piece of black electrical tape over it, Hey we have been doing fine without them for years..they are new troublesome and do not work in cold weather pluse making balancing and changing tires very difficult.
    I've had times when fuel guage didn't register full after filling tank. eventually it did work. The one thing that stands out in your statements was," a strange light vibration from 30 mph on." Sounds like the beginning of a tranny problem caused by the reciprocal leakage of radiator fluid into tranny and tranny back. Ask dealer to check radiator and trans fluid for color. If there's a problem, start a dialogue with Nissan North America and be persistant. THis should have been a recall,but somehow, Nissan is keeping it quiet. It's really a danger to driver and passengers if tranny quits while on the road. Good Luck.
  • chipsr1chipsr1 Member Posts: 9
    I bought a by-pass transmission cooler (10"X15"X3/4") and I find there is no room for it ahead of the radiator. A/C cooling radiator and the horn are here. Can it be mounted on the radiator ahead of the fan.