Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy instrument panel problems

Comments

• pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    I was browsing the internet for possible solutions to our problems with the Envoy instrument cluster. Everyone who owns an Envoy should go to their search engine, and type in GMC Instrument Cluster Settlement, and when the websites pop up, check out the website that is under Wikipedia. Seems that there was a lawsuit against GMC for failed clusters, and there are guidlines that you have to go through to get your cluster fixed. One of them is the vehicle has to be under 70,000 miles at the time of failure, and it has to be documented. Another one is for a vehicle with less than 80,000 miles at the time of failure. Like I said, it is too late for me, but maybe someone out there can benefit from this. Good Luck All!!!!!
  • frankie62frankie62 Member Posts: 21
    For Christina, GM Customer Service
    I have experienced yet another problem with my 2003 GMC ENVOY XL, VIN 1GKES16S936210018. Yesterday while driving from work, stopped at an intersection and my Envoy stopped running. The instrument panel started lighting up, "Check Gauges" light flickered for a few secs. It started back up after several attempts and now I have "Service Engine Soon" light on. Have been experiencing RPM gauge problems, with the needle pointing due south, fuel gauge registering 1/4 but the fuel low alarm comes on. My wife had it kill on her while turning onto a very busy intersection in town. Had to have it pushed into a parking lot. This is getting ridiculously unsafe to drive it. I guess GMC is waiting for someone to get hurt or killed to have it recalled. Can't afford to have the dealership repair it at this time. :mad: :mad: Frank :mad:
    That really bites. Most of the failures happens after 100K. I guess I'm not getting it fixed anytime soon, have 124K..tks for the info. :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • sherrie7200sherrie7200 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Envoy that I purchased used. And all I can say is WOW I wish I would have read this before buying it!! I too have had nothing but problems with it and it has under 100 thousand. I seldom ever know how fast I am going and am just waiting for the day when I get pulled over for speeding and can honestly tell the police officer "I have no #%! clue how fast I was going". Since it sounds like GM is not willing to take responsibility for faulty equipment, I wonder how they will feel about paying the ticket or worse yet what happens when someone is killed because they will not stand behind their products. I have owned many different brands of cars/trucks over the years and I can say that this is the first and last GMC that I will ever buy!!! I used to get upset over taking my car in on recalls all the time. But now I can say THANK YOU FORD!

A very unhappy customer :(
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    sherrie7200,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look further into your situation.

You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    There are 28 pages of emails on this Envoy Forum, since 2008 and there have yet to be a recall on all Envoys with instrument cluster problems. Your email response is very generic, but yet nothing is done about it. My 2003 is sitting in the driveway, I don't want myself or my family members driving it for fear of getting into an accident because of the faulty gauges. Is GMC waiting for someone to get killed and the family sues them ? Yet another frustrated Envoy Owner..before you ask AGAIN, my vin# is "1GKES16S936210018". :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I will go ahead and send you the info you are requesting. If something is not done to the satifaction of the Enovy owners in a FAST timely manor. I will be contacting a few of the TV stations to get this problem out to the public about GMC and their customer relations.
  • jls9382jls9382 Member Posts: 1
    I too have had problems with my dashboard gages.... it started about a year ago with my RPM readings, then moved to my speedometer, which would work half the time and would jerk to higher speeds instead of one steady motion, and lastly is ended with the fuel gage before I took it to the shop. Luckily it was covered under my extended warranty, being the front wheel berring went as well. Otherwise it would have been a $1300 trip to the shop. I'm too also having problems with my lights. My husband has replaced bulbs but sometimes he has to jiggle wires to make them work. My CD player doesn't work either.... POS car :(
  • harper423harper423 Member Posts: 2
    I have a problem with gas gauge not working , have filed a complaint with NHTSA since my car has only 39,000 miles and IMO GM's customer service people seem aware of the problem from the forum but don't seem to care much about a voluntary recall - here is the online complaint form :
    https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm
    Since your vehicle has only 39K miles, thee's a recall, dealership will replace it parts and labor for free. Up to 70K miles (parts/labor free), 70+ to 80K miles (parts only free). Everyone else screwed.. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    harper423,
    If you would like to email me your VIN, I would be happy to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    frankie62,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I understand seeing all these posts can be quite frustrating. This is why we are out here. To get these peoples concerns documented with GM, as well as try to help come to a resolution for their situation. Our posts can be a little generic because to start looking into things we need to get some basic information; a lot of times information that shouldn't be posted on a forum. What I can do is set up a case for you with Customer Assistance. This will report your concerns with GM. These cases and issues are tracked and could help to forum a recall. Please feel free to email me your contact information if you would like to proceed with this course of action. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • mikejp20mikejp20 Member Posts: 8
    pocket,
    this sucks it doesn't make sense for the consumer to pay for a manufacturer defect, it doesn't seem the will own up to their defects... I too have been searching the Internet and have found other class-action suits for similar vehicles i.e. Sierra, Escalade, Yukon and a few more plus recalls on all exact/similar issues we are having with the Envoy. It all smells like manufacture defects to me. Oh I forgot I just stopped in and spoke with the GMC dealership and they told me I was looking at 530+ dollars parts and labor. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Thanks Harper423 I just filed the complaint as well... sounds like the media would be a good option at this point, this is unacceptable being the number of complaints and all the issues that GMC has with their product line I don't feel the consumer should suffer for their defects.
    :mad: :lemon: :mad: :lemon:
    Yes, it does suck, and GM refuses to do anything about it. If you check back on earlier posts, you will find that a person found a place to have these instrument panels fixed for around $200 or less. I am saving up to have that option. I have spent a small fortune on this vehicle (money to buy the vehicle in the first place, and money to have it repaired) and I think GM should do something about it. Oh Christina and the others try to placate us by saying that they will look into it, but what that amounts to is they want you to send them your serial number, the number of miles on the vehicle, and then they want you to take it to a GM dealership to have it properly diagnosed (at a cost of $180 and up) and then they will tell you that there is nothing that they can do for you as your vehicle is beyond the mileage limit. Just smoke and mirrors. Anyway good luck to you, and if I hear of any other options, I will be sure to post it. BTW I am tracking this website, so if you send me a message, I will get it. I am also saving every e-mail and post on this website to send to the NTSB.
    My sentiments exactly. I got to a point where I'm having someone repair my instrument panel, replacing all 6 stepper motors, backlighting, etc.. for $65.00, but you have to pull the cluster out and mail it to him. He is listed on Ebay, David Ruberg. First time buying off Ebay..but checked with BBB before sending it out. I'm hoping to get it back this week. If so, I will report to everyone here if all is good. :)
  • magnastymagnasty Member Posts: 26
    Folks, as you may or may not know, the Trailblazer is basically the same vehicle as the Envoy. Take a look at this link and read how Trailblazer owners are having the same issues. Why this this? Well, these two vehicles are built at the same factory. The biggest difference is the trim. What do you think would happen if all Envoy and TB owners banded together to pressure GM for a total recall?

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0fb75b">link title
  • preciousgeminipreciousgemini Member Posts: 10
    no, that is not correct. I had to pay for my insturment panel last year $1700. and my car just made 70,000 miles this weekend, I filed all the complaint with GMC and nothing happen, none of these people on here is trying to help you guys,The goverment should have let GMC go bankrupt, now they are still in business to rob us of our money and make their profits to get them back to their high living standards that they were once use too. Last week I had to pay $3200 for a new transmission, (guess you can tell I am woman, the guy didnt realize that i know there is no such thing as a new transmission, unless you buy a brand new car.) at the GMC dealer ship in Houma, LA because they had to take my transmission apart to find out why my RPMs was staying at 4 when I was riding at 40mph. When he called and told me I need a whole new transmission and it would cost $3000, i started calling other places, i got quotes for $1600, so I called and told him i was going to get someone else to do it for cheaper, he said, ok, but we can't put it back together so it will have to be towed, and the bill for the 3 hours it took to take it apart is $900.00. Can you tell me, how much money the transmission tech makes per hour? That's $300 per hour.
    Question to all of you on here? if we all have the same problems, we all filed complaints, where is our government to help us with these criminals at GMC?
    Nothing will happen. If everybody on here has filed a complaint like they should have, then something should have been done by now. For me, I had my instrument paney changed last year, paid $1700 @GMC in Houma, LA, brought them copies of all the recalls, filed my complaints, and was still told by them I was responsible for the bill. Nobody from GMC on this forum really give a crap about our problems. They are here for the people who are looking to buy a GMC and make it look like they are fixing the problem. My GMC 2004 Envoy made 70,000 this weekend, last week I paid $3200 for a (New, Right?) transmission. who needs a new transmission at <70,000 miles? My car is 6 years old and its not like I have 120,000 miles on it. They wanted to charge me $900.00 for the 3 hours it took them to break down the transmission and call me just to tell me i needed a new transmission. I called around for other quotes, the highest price i got was $1800 to replace my transmission. so when i called him back at Gmc, he told me my bill was already $900 and they were not going to put the transmission back on, so i needed a tow truck, another $200+1800 for the transmission, so GMC screwed me again with their $900 of nothing labor. Doctors dont even make $300 a hour.

The goverment don't care if they are stealing and robbing form the people, they just want to get their money back that they loaned them, and GMC have to rip off the people to pay them back. If everyone filed out a complaint, then the goverment transportation dept knows about this crap, and they are not going to do anything about it. Look how long its been going on, check the date that this forum was started. It was just a few months ago. I posted my concerns last year and people started at least the year before that.

The goverment and GMC dont care. They just want your money. I recently posted my car problems on my facebook, and found out that all my machanic work can be done much cheaper, by small mom and pop machanic shop, with are much reliable sources. Those are the shops that want your business, they depend on business by work of mouth, so they are honest when it comes to your money and back up the work that they do without making you purchase an extended warrenty for their work.
    I did print it, emailed to the service tech at GMC Houma, LA and to the person in the main GMC corp office. They both denied it and I still had to pay.

Believe me. It didn't work. I even gave them this website to read the forum.
    GMC don't care. Our goverment has made them to big to care. Just saying. We are paying the price for this. I hope people start to see that a bailout should not have happen for GMC. The should have went under because they can't handle the problems that they have cause. Oh and just saying again the GMC customer service people on this site don't really care, I don't think they are really people in general, if you follow Mirah's comments, it is always the same pre-typed stuff. Just saying.
    preciousgemini,
    Hello my name is Christina I am from GM Customer Service. Can you please email me your VIN? I would like to look into this further? I am a person and I am willing to verify this with you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    my case number from last time case # 71-815-208915
  • dlovelyonedlovelyone Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Envoy and when i fill my tank up the gas hand goes to E and the light stays on, all the family member have a Envoy or a trail blaser and they also is having the same problem. Is there any recalls on this?
    dlovelyone,

I would be happy to check and see if your vehicle has a recall. Please email me your VIN.

Thank you,
  • rayhitchrayhitch Member Posts: 6
    My 2002 Trailblazer never had a problem with that (or anything except the taillight problem) for 7 years and 200K miles. However, I'm driving a 2007 Envoy now with 75K miles and it is doing the same as yours. Although, when I fillup the tank it will read correctly until 3/4 tank, or so, if I've used Chevron Techron very recently, and that gets expensive.

One company on the internet sells the replacement brushes made of copper for the tank sensor for $100 which they say will fix the problem. GM obviously cheaped out and used inferior brushes which deteriorate quite early and cause the problem. Good luck.
    There is a recall for Envoys with less than 70K miles they will replace the instrument cluster for free, those with 70-80K they will replace the cluster but you will have to pay for the labor. Get it in now if you fall into either category. I am having my cluster rebuild for $65.00 by David Ruberg in Winona, Mn, should it delivered to me today.. only took a week...Check him out on EBAY..
    Have you gotten your instrument cluster back?? If so, have you gotten it installed and does it work? I have heard some good things about David Ruberg, but have never talked to anyone who has actualy had work done by him. Please let me know as I am seriously considering having him do my instrument cluster.
    :sick: So Christina @ GM Customer Service may be a real person but I dont think Caron is. About 3 weeks ago Caron stated that she would be sending me the paperwork to file with GM (although she did say that there was nothing that they would do due to the mileage and the year of my Envoy) and I have yet to see anything from them. I just can not image working for a company that treats their customers this way. I hope they treat their employees better or they will lose them like they are losing their customers.
    I am gathering information to take to a few TV stations in the MN area and have continued to print out all the information from this and other sites. If anyone has any other info that I can use, please let me know. This may not get our trucks fixed, but I'm hoping that it will stop a few people from buying from the company. GM doesn't care about the owners of their products, so if it will prevent more sales of faulty vechiles I'm all for it!! :P
  • shellycleshellycle Member Posts: 1
    OMG! I was just driving on the hwy when my speedometer stopped working. I had no idea this forum was here. So, I'm headed to an auto shop tomorrow, b/c I have to get this fixed asap. I'm sure it'll be super expensive. So, GM hasn't done anything for anyone? My Envoy has 108K miles, and I was trying to hold on b/c it's almost paid off, but I don't know now. I have put so much cash into this truck just this year. I've had to replace the same left front tire rod in 4 years. I'm very disappointed if GM isn't taking more action for the consumer. Thanks for listening!
    I appreciate the info.... let me know if that works for you if so I will follow, it still amazes me that GMC has defective products and will not own up to them. :mad: :mad:
    This message is for the GMC representative that keeps sending these generic text messages stating that they will check and see if they can assist or look into the matter. Can someone please tell me if GM is doing anything or even aware of these type of problems and what type of feedback have they presented the representative feeding us this generic information? :mad: :mad: :lemon:
  • bdnelson86bdnelson86 Member Posts: 1
    This started on my Envoy at approximately 75,000 miles. Every time I use my cruise control it affects my speedometer, my oil gauge etc. It eventually goes back to working correctly after a few days or a few weeks. However, this past time it has not self corrected. It is a pain to try to judge your speed and is pricey to fix. GMC should be made to fix this problem. It is happening in trailblazers as well. I will not buy another American made vehicle this is ridiculous. How about the guy who was driving his wife's General Motors SUV and the cruise control was stuck and he could not stop his vehicle no matter what he tried. It would have been catastrophic if the police office had not gotten him stopped! Come on GMC do the right thing! RECALL these vehicles regardless of mileage!
    GM will never recall these vehicles unless we continue to apply pressure. Why? because the present owners are not important to them. They received our bail out money to correct their self-inflicted business flaws now they are focused on the future and not necessarily concerned about the past. Everyone should flood their local dealerships by calling and asking to speak to the zone representative about these issues. Keep calling over and over as they will be slow to respond. Please make sure you state that this has become a safety issue with you and/or your family when you talk to the dealership and the zone rep.

Once they continue to refuse to acknowledge this, then got to nhtsa.gov and file a complaint. Then go to safercar.gov and file another safety complaint. You can also call safercar.gov at (888) 327-4236. When you file the safety complaint, please be sure to include that you have tried to contact the zone representative and have voiced your concerns on this forum and have received no resolution.

Safety issues receive more visibility than issues of inconveinence or breakdown. If you do not know how much gas is in your car or know how fast you are traveling, it is a safety issue. When you see these yellow warning signs that tell you to slow down to a particular speed based on a change in road conditions, it is a safety issue if you cannt determine your speed. Based on what has transpired on this forum, the only thing that will happen once you provide your VIN and contact information is that you will receive a call from someone telling you to take your car into a GM dealership to have it repaired at your expense. This is (alledgedly) GM's method to limit their liability in case something happens to you or your family. If there is injury or death because of this, all GM has to say is that they directed the owner of the defective vehicle to the dealeship for repair...and then they brush it off and walk away.
    so far so good.. all gauges are working as they should... :)
    bdnelson86,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    shellycle,

Were you taking the vehicle to a GM dealership or an independent mechanic? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • notpinktrucknotpinktruck Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Hi- I have the same issue with my 2005 Envoy. As many others have said, GM clearly does not care about giving their customers any relief for this or other issues, such as the faulty gas gauge. However, someone else gave me a tip about resetting the speedometer which has worked so far. In my case disconnecting the battery apparently allows the computer to re-set and fixes the speedometer issue, so far. Really GM should fix this. I plan to get rid of this vehicle and be done with GM products ASAP. A shame since I have been a loyal GM customer since 1993. So has my husband. And my dad since the 70's. My step mom even retired from GM right here in Detroit. Sad, sad, sad the way they are doing their customers. :sick:
    notpinktruck,

Glad to hear disconnecting the battery fixed the speedometer issue. Please keep me posted if you should have any problems.

Thank you,
    It does reset it temporarily. It reset my RPM gauge, but started to have problems later on. I had my cluster stepper motors replaced. It seems to be working thus far. David Ruberg, 123 W. Sarnia St. Winona, Mn 55087, (507) 429-4489, repair took 1 week turn around..and you can drive your vehicle without the cluster installed... :):)
    edited August 2011
    Come on...is this all you got out of this complaint........disconnecting the battery?

Do you really expect the GM customers to do this on a continual basis?
    mikejp20,
    I apologize that you are unhappy with my posts; however, I need certain information to look into your vehicle, its history, recalls etc. Anyone who would like to email me with this generic information feel free and I will look into your situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    I posted my unhappiness on 8/5/11 about not receiving the forms from GM to fill out. Well it just keeps getting better! I have now been without a truck for 4 days as it will not start and every machanic that hooks it up to the computer keeps getting a reading "please hook up" GREAT....now we have no way of know what is wrong with it. Battery is reading fully charged, dash has every light on and flashing, get a loud buzzing noise from the speakers (and the radio is shut off), doors locks/unlocks all by them selfs and at different times. But hey, this must just be one of the minor inconveniences that GM has. No safety issues here!!! :mad:
    sherrie7200,

I am unable to mail forms for you to fill out and send back. If you wish to speak directly with GM Customer Assistance via telephone the number is: 1-800-462-8782. Hours: Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

Thank you,
    Thanks for the info I'm going to give it a shot...
  • kencrosby69kencrosby69 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    I thought I was the only one. I used to joke that it was the full tank alarm that sounded. These need fixed. How can I get in touch with GM customer service?
    kencrosby69,
    Just click on our user name to find our email. I look forward to your email.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jennifer48jennifer48 Member Posts: 2
    I also have an Envoy XLT that has the exact same problems and then some! I bought it brand new and it only has 83000 miles on it. It has happened at random times throughout the years, but they cant seem to figure it out. It has been in the shop so many times that I put together a folder of all the paperwork! I do have pictures that I took with my phone to show someone hoping it will help, but they want to charge me $150. to diagnose!!! WOW, some customer service! It has had 4 batteries, 5 starters, 2 ignition switches, new fuel tank, transmission, etc, etc.....I am so done with this car. It sits in the driveway because I'm afraid to drive it. Not sure what to do, but pretty sure I have a LEMON! Any suggestions?
  • rayhitchrayhitch Member Posts: 6
    I had a Trailblazer company car and got very good service out of it. The first major repair was transmission at 250,000 miles, and gas mileage was pretty decent. My Envoy I bought used hasn't faired as well, and it's only got 90,000 miles. And the mileage is about 2-3 mpg less than Trailblazer. I learned that just because they look similar, they may not be deep down. Supposed step up appears to be a step down. And it's ashame because I like a lot about the Envoy.
    jennifer48,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,