Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

Comments

• nowwhat1nowwhat1 Member Posts: 10
    It is really frustrating to see these emails and they all say the same thing. At the very least, Mazda could send out a notice about the type of oil to use and how often it needs to be changed. But that would be admitting fault, wouldn't it?
    I just got my car back (after 8 weeks and one new engine) and they say every 3,500 miles change the oil and use synthetic oil.
    Guess what, after paying the car down for the next year, it's going on the block to sell!
  • mazdasucks2mazdasucks2 Member Posts: 8
    I think your comment is interesting. You are correct to some degree, but let's face it here.... These aren't typical situations for used vehicles. I have always purchased used, and NEVER in my life dealt with a breed of car as Mazda. I just dumped mine, thank God. Mazda should be held responsible for selling crap, just like any of us would be held responsible in our own lives. Your comment about "buyer beware" doesn't have a leg to stand on in this conversation forum.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Not to defend Mazda-but why are you attacking wwest? Depending on the price point, the state where purchased, and from whom... used cars are "buyer beware." no warranty for the most part. Assuming that the present owner has taken meticulous care of the Mazda cx-7.... how do you know that previous owner didn't run it low on oil or coolant?--(even once) and for the cx-7-- that is more serious than the average car because of the turbo implications.

I'know from experience with these cars because I myself am driving a 2007 cx-7 w/ 80,000 miles . Timing chain replaced at 55,000 miles --EGR valve and fuel pump replaced at 70,000 miles. I think all the newer vehicles are failing parts with more frequency due to to manufacturers making the vehicles (and their internal parts) lighter and lighter due to stricter pollution and gas mileage requirements.
  • flig_chrisflig_chris Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    Another CX-7 Engine Failure. The following was submitted to the NHTSA.

Dealership maintained CX-7 experienced major failure while driving. Engine died and major oil leak was noticed. Car had to be towed to the dealership. The dealership first indicated that there was some type of failure regarding the #3 cylinder. Dealership said that the probable cause of failure was due to turbo overheating. Later the dealership stated that the #4 piston failed and caused catastrophic damage to the engine. The cause of failure was never determined. The engine, turbocharger, thermostat, EGR valve, intake manifold, starter and O2 sensor were replaced. Total cost of repairs (labor, parts, and misc charges) prior to tax was $10,557.49. Prior to engine failure we informed the dealership that the check engine light was constantly on but the dealership stated that it was due to the gas cap not being properly put on. They never scanned the computer despite the car being under warranty. Additionally a ticking noise has been previously brought to the dealership's attention but was told that the engine noise was normal for this particular engine.
  • biochemistbiochemist Member Posts: 19
    Hi, I'm in the market for a CX-7 but all these posts are making me wary of purchasing the vehicle. Has the reliability gotten better over the years since 2007 or pretty much the engine and powertrain has stayed same over the years and I will likely encounter the same problems several years down the line? Thanks in advance.
  • magsdadmagsdad Member Posts: 3
    First off,,,we absolutely loved our 2007 CX-7. Had a relatively minor issue with the timing chain and it was repaired under warranty at about 21000 miles. However, I also became concerned after reading this forum and others and soon thereafter, traded in the CX7. It is my understanding that this timing chain issue and others are 2007 problems. Good luck...it is a nice car.
  • maxocampomaxocampo Member Posts: 5
    There was a change in design; they did away with the turbo charger, and now have two options, a 4 Cyl and 6 cyl.
    However, I would stay away; look at all the posts here. Many people had the timing chain snap and ruin the engine within the 60k miles warranty period, but Mazda has refused to cover it, with the excuse that since customer could not come up with all the oil change receipts, it happened due to poor maintenance.
    I took my car for oil change and maintenance to a Mazda dealer every single time, but in my case the chain snapped at 64k miles.
    Even if I paid for replacement of the engine, warranty on "new" engine would only be 12 months 1200 miles, and a mechanic told me it was likely that it could happen again.
    I sold the broken Mazda CX7 for a few thousand dollars, and bought a Toyota Prius; yeah, sacrificed a bit on space, but now it runs for 2 weeks on $27. When I had the Mazda I was putting $60 every week.
    I will never buy Mazda again, just because of the failed design, not accepting that it was a bad design, and the warranty issues.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The only way I would purchase a CX-7, new or otherwise, is if I had the money and planned to do a few modifications. First would be to "wire" the turbo wastegate WIDE OPEN. Should I subsequently decide I needed the boost performance level I would either:

1. Look widely for a water cooled turbo, with "after-run" coolant pump, to install inplace of the OEM one.

2. The other possibility would be to mill the head, leaving the turbo inop, to get the "standard" DFI compression ratio of 12:1.

On the other hand if FE improvement were the desire I would convert the engine to the Atkinson cycle. Mill the head to get a 15:1 compression ratio and then block the throttle plate opening enough to restrict the maximum cylinder fill to ~70%

Has anyone ever tried using the A/C to cool the boost charge? A refrigernat accummulator/reservoir dedicated to that task and only opened to flow when on-boost. Might be able to keep the 15:1 CR AND have boost.

Oh, sorry, senior moment, forgot that an Atkinsonied engine hasn't enough energy in the exhaust to spin a turbine. SuperCharger?
    The non-turbo 4 cylinder isn't available with F/awd.
  • dj119dj119 Member Posts: 10
    Do not ever buy a Mazda of any kind. Their customer service and employee people skills are the worst of any king of retailer of goods I have ever experienced. They will admit that they had a flaw in the CX7 and thus many customers got stuck with huge bills and a worthless car. Me for one. I am still buying off the $6800. extra I had to borrow to have a car still under warranty fixed. Trust me, I sold it the say I got it fixed. Stay away from Mazda cars. They are big time trouble.
    Given the design engineer, engineering, sharing alliance between Ford and Mazda one has to wonder what the reliability might be for the upcoming EcoBoost 4 cylinder to power the new F/awd Explorer. Oh, sorry, like the non-turbo 4 cylinder CX-7 the 4 cylinder EcoBoost Explorer does not have the F/awd option.

Maybe that's the Ford/Mazda answer, less overall "stress", no F/awd capability, on the Explorer's turbo 4 cylinder drive train to "improve" the reliability.
  • ckbolesckboles Member Posts: 16
    Guess I've joined the club.....engine shot at 72,000 miles, extended warranty will not cover due to "lack of maintanence" even with receipts. Since purchasing gently used in 2008, 3 sets of tires, no power, needed turbo sensor, clicking noise, sparks coming out of steering column, bad / foggy headlights, windshield seal causing major passenger side leakage, sludge and metal in the engine, whirring noise lasting for 3 minutes after shut-off. About $10,0000 to fix replace engine.

Question: Should the dealer / warranty company have noticed the timing change issue when they replaced the turbo sensor? I have documentation stating it was bad from an independent, reliable mechanic, Mazda dealer did the warranty work to replace turbo, but said nothing about the timing chain and / or sludge. Also: is it reasonable that sludge would have been found in engine when the turbo sensor was replaced?
    Who paid for the repairs? You or the warranty company? Same exact problems, don't think it makes sense to fix this car if it's not covered by the extended warranty, in dispute now.

Reported to NHTSA also.
  • ynot411ynot411 Member Posts: 1
    Just had the turbo replaced at 64,850 miles today. Brought the CX-7 in for an oil change and to diagnose a rattle-ling/clunking noise when accelerating on 01/02/12. I have the Mazda Extended Protection Plan (Easy Care) which I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to cover the turbo replacement. After 9-days of proving that my records and the Mazda Shop Foreman's observations were correct on having no signs of neglect MEPP (Easy Care) approved the claim. However, the car rental exceeded the max. 6-day allowance and the diagnoses labor exceeded the 2-hour labor allowance. It took me to contact the CEO of Easy Care to make things right since it was his company that prolonged the process. Will be picking up the car this afternoon to see if issues have been resolved. Cosmetically the CX-7 is appealing but reliability and dependability is awful. Let a lone dealing with MEPP is a huge headache as well.
  • jbolesjboles Member Posts: 3
    I'm in sort of the same sinking boat- About a year ago, under my long term warranty, the turbocharger was replaced. They mentioned nothing to me about timing belt issues. A few weeks ago, a tapping whining sound, and loss of power. Had it towed to the dealership, John F Kennedy in Conshohocken Pa, and was told engine needs replacement, and it is not covered because there was sludge in the oil pan- I have maintained the cars oil changes, and told the mechanic last year when the turbo was down that I was constantly adding a quart here and a quart there, because of the oil light. Nothing was done to address that, and now they want $9000 to replace the engine in a 5 year old car-

Does anyone have any advice on how to best approach This? We have been on the phone many times with the dealer, Mazda, and the factory rep, and they are not moving an inch-

Thanks!
  • nicho1nicho1 Member Posts: 1
    i am about to have the same problem. did you have any luck with them helping for costs?
  • delta2565delta2565 Member Posts: 4
    My daughter's CX-7 was diagnosed with these problems and Mazda factory told her the same things, engine needs to be replaced, 8K cost.
    I knew the turbo was burned up, bought a replacement, with the assistance for tech info from Blast Performance in Quebec, we changed the turbo, installed a re-routed oil supply line and the car now lives again.
    It can be done alot cheaper, and easier. total cost about $1500 parts and labor, I did some of the engineering.
    If you are in the upstate NY area and/or want to contact me I can give you the info to save you the headache and money.
    My wife and I bought out her mortgage on the CX-7 because she didn't have the money to fix it, and gave her our TDI.
    KWD
    KWD
    Note* These problems are not about changing the oil at the correct interval, they are from heat at the time of shut-down "coking" the oil in the turbo housing!
    The best thing you can do to alleviate this is to let the engine idle for up to three to four minutes when you pull in to park, you can do this by sitting in the car or by installing a "turbo timer", all the tech kids racing and tuning these do it to extend the life of their equipment.
    You also must use the best synthetic oil you can find, Valvoline, Red Line, Amsoil are some of the best, 5 or 10W-40.
    My problem with Mazda is the lying and selling high tech cars and not informing the purchasers of the need for specialized handling for their equipment.
    KWD
    The more I look into the CX-7 engine problem, the more questions I have.
    When my turbo sensor was replaced at 62,000 miles by an extended warranty company, would the timing chain / oil sludge issue be obvious?
    I received a diagnosis of complete engine failure just 7 months after the turbo sensor was replaced, however, I feel like the warranty company may have just done a cheap fix last year, instead of replacing the engine.
    Of course, the extended warranty company won't replace my engine now...citing "sludge", nor will they release the photos or report from their adjustor.
    Fighting everything now. I'm amazed by the "it's not my problem now" attitude of the extended warranty company. My car was well maintained and everything documented.
  • hstacy1hstacy1 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with the timing chain, VVT actuator. We bought the replacement parts from Mazda and my husband is doing the work, but we are still having problems with this vehicle. Today, I got a letter from Mazda that says they know they have a problem and will extend the warrenty to 70,000 miles. Mine didn't break until 80,000 miles so I am screwed by Mazda yet again.
  • flqueenfanflqueenfan Member Posts: 5
    I also received the letter today regarding my VVT/Timing chain, which is great because I've had both replaced and the VVT is still rattling like crazy and the dealer just says "that's how fuel injectors sound, dear." Yes, I'm a girl, but I'm pretty sure my car isn't supposed to shake and make people around me go "the hell?" when I start her up.
    Also in the envelope was a happy little letter telling me they are extending warranty coverage for "heavy white smoke coming from the exhaust due solely to overheating which leads to leaking of oil onto the turbocharger and turbo failure." If you have white smoke and the turbo hasn't failed (which is their way of doing a cheap fix right before everything breaks) they'll add on a ventilation system. If you have white smoke and your turbo is cooked, they will replace the turbo, as long as you're under 70,000 miles and 7 years. I had to replace my turbo back in July, so now I get to fight with them for reimbursement; I am hoping that since they partially covered me as I was 100 MILES outside of warranty this won't be too hard, but I think I'd rather have a colonoscopy without anesthetic.
    For all who are still having problems, the warranty extension cover CX-7s made between 2/14/06 and 7/1/08, Speed3s 6/28/06-6/30/08 and Speed6s 8/4/05-6/30/07. Good luck, we're all in this together. :shades:
  • scgalscgal Member Posts: 4
    I'm a 2007 CX-7 owner (her name is Cici... :) bought new and have treated like a baby! I drive a lot and have 103,000 miles. It's just started making a high-pitched rattling noise, from the time I crank it until I turn the key off. Does this sound like the timing chain problem you-all have had? This is my 3rd Mazda (had a millinia and tribute before) and I've been very dissappointed with it. The entire air conditioner fell apart at 47k at a tune of $1600 to replace, and some kind of valve went out shortly after that- another $800. Sounds like that's not too bad, tho, after reading some of the other owner's issues! I'd love to sell it but don't want a car payment. :-/
  • scgalscgal Member Posts: 4
    FYI, Cici is the 2.3L DOHC 16 valve 4cyl turbo...
  • mazdasucks2mazdasucks2 Member Posts: 8
    The engines are all the same in 2007. I named mine "misbehaving b****" for sharing purposes here. I can't believe you made it to over 100,000 miles without any problems. You must have gotten the one vehicle off the line that was built with better parts. Good for you. The rest of us are jealous. I would recommend dumping the thing while it still runs and you haven't been stuck with a massive bill to fix it. I stuck over 6k in my car in repairs, and that was only two repairs. I dumped my car after the second mishap which was the timing chain issue. I fixed it and traded it for a German product. Mazda's customer service is absolutely worthless when dealing with the Cx-7, just an FYI. I make it one of my goals everyday to find someone who drives a Cx-7 and warn them to get rid of it as soon as possible. It's unfortunate, but I will NEVER buy Mazda again, nor will I EVER tell anyone anything good about them. If you want to continue to like Mazda, then trade it in for something else. I know they changed the newest models due to all of the issues. You may be safer with that, but I'm going to guess that will end up with it's own set of issues soon enough. Good luck. I'm still waiting for Mazda to reimburse me, but I have a better chance of seeing God walk across the Lake in my backyard.
  • bikerpapabikerpapa Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2007 new and like it. a/c locked up under warranty-barely, < 100 mi to spare! 72K now, NO other problems-YET. If I trade it, I know I will lose well over a couple of grand. How can I invest $ in this car and have peace of mind that my vvt/chain and turbo won't fail? I've researched enough to be totally confused! oil catch cans, pop offs, ventilation kits, etc. for turbo. replace vvt/chain before I hear start up clatter or wait till I hear it? Dealer said that if they were bad , they would have failed by now-don't worry. PS-oil changed every 7 to 8K (full syn).
    @ bikerpapa, you best start changing the oil every 3,500-4,000 miles and make sure it's synthetic oil!
    Cut your losses, trade it in now. Crossing my fingers that mine will make it till the end of the year as I need to pay off a few thousand off my loan as it's not worth crap right now.
    This just keeps getting worse. Also received the recall on the timing chain,
    vvt , and turbo sensor, however, no luck with Mazda or the Extended Warranty company. It is obvious the engine is "cooking" the oil by faulty design and the dozen or so
    Technical Service Bulletins published document this as far back as 2009.

I will continue my campaign to hold Mazda responsible for "complete" engine failure, and believe this problem could have been avoided if they stood behind their product and their limited mileage special warranty. Letters, calls and a BBB report have been made.
  • aztd1aztd1 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my CX7 back from the Mazda shop yesterday. I've owned it since June 2006. A year ago I had this gut feeling to buy the extended warranty (had 59,900 miles on it). I've been reading all the horror stories, and thank God I decided to buy the Mazda warranty. My timing chain, vvt, etc went out on Sunday - 3 DAYS AFTER I GOT THE TSBs from Mazda with just over 75K on it. They covered it without any questions, guess I got lucky. I always do my own oil changes (Castrol full synthetic, Motorcraft filter). Of the 10 vehicles I've owned (almost all were new first-year models), I have never had so many problems as I've had with this one. I will definitely not buy another Mazda and will advise others likewise. Not just because of the problems, but because of the cowardly stance they have chosen in not repairing major known defects. I urge EVERYONE with CX7 defects to file complaints with the NHTSA.
    edited January 2012
    Exactly the same symptom as mine. We have the extended warranty, and already have had the turbo replaced. Our problem now is that John Kennedy Ford in Conshohocken Pa says the engine needs to be replaced, and they will not honor the warranty because the oil was "low." The oil burning problem was discussed when the turbo was replaced, but they did not address it, and I was adding a quart here and there over the past 9 months or so-

Even if the oil was low, an engine simply doesn't work and sound perfectly normal one moment, and then simply destroy itself. While this car has been sitting at John Kennedy Ford for the past three weeks while we are figuring out if a lawsuit is our best shot, we received TWO more RECALL NOTICES from Mazda North American Operations- Disgraceful!
  • alitobaalitoba Member Posts: 2
    I'm new in this forum and wanted to take a tour on the posts related to the Mazda CX-7, since I'm planing to get one very soon, by next month.
    By reading the post above, I'm a little hesitant about the performance (technical) of this SUV. Now, I would like to have some advices from anyone about the Mazda CX-7, 2011.
    Wuld you please recommend me to go for it?

Thanks
    There are now 2 versions of the CX-7, one without the F/awd system and the "turbo" one with. If you think you really need the F/awd system then I would go for the turbo motor but immediately "wire" the wastegate WIDE OPEN.

If you lost to much "go" as a result you could have the head milled to raise the compression ratio to the DFI standard of 12:1.
    I only know about the many engine problems with the 2007 CX7. The warranty company and dealership have been awful in attempting any resolution, despite the fact that I have a long term warranty. From all of the other posts in this forum, it seems like Everyone gets the same denial: There is sludge in the engine, which means you did not maintain the car. They even refuse to hand over the pictures they claim that they took of the engine saying that the pictures were "Their Property" How is that for customer service!!
  • boogitybopboogitybop Member Posts: 21
    I would recommend you absolutely STOP looking at Mazda. They have done nothing for the many many people out here who've been taken advantage of. I personally took excellent care of my car and at 73,000 miles replaced the timing chain, vvt actuator and repaired bent valves. It cost me $4500.00 dollars. I traded that POS as soon as I got it back. If you want something like this but only from a reputable car company look to Ford edge, Toyota Venza or a hyundai or Kia. The Kia is an excellent car for the money, but do not buy a Mazda anything.
    +1 on the Venza.
  • nvrbymzdnvrbymzd Member Posts: 4
    My turbo has gone in my engine for the second time! I had to replace it 15 months ago. Here we go again!!! Mazda needs to take responsibility that there is an obvious problem with these turbos! I have kept up with all my oil changes. I will never buy a Mazda Ever Again!! Are they that crooked to rip off so many consumers that have put their hard earned money and trust into a company that turns around and doesn't even back up their own MESS!! I've had it!! I've seen so many posts about this same problem, something should be done! If all businesses would treat their customers the way they do, there would be nothing left in the US. I've Had It!!
    Count me in!! 4500$$$ for first Turbo replacement in my CX-7 now another for the second replacement. UNBELIEVABLE!
    My advice to anyone that owns the CX-7 and has turbo problems. Spray paint both sides of the vehicle saying "This car is a peice of Junk and Mazda doesn't Care!!!" Drive it around everywhere you can!! That's my next step!
  • marnic73marnic73 Member Posts: 1
    I wish I could drive my Mazda around...unfortunately it's toast:( I've been trying to complain on Facebook, but I haven't gotten a responses. If more people took action maybe that would make Mazda would fix there problems. There recall is pathetic!
    Marnic73 go to this site below you don't need to put your vin # but put all other info in.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
    One of the single most important things you can do to extend the life of your turbo is install a "turbo timer". I just got one for my wife's CX-7, it cost $30.0 and the "cool down time" it gives after turning off the ignition will save your turbo. It keeps the engine running for a period of time after you shut off the ignition. Cooling the turbo so the oil doesn't "bake" in the bearing.
    where did you find one for $30?
    Mazda seems to be telling everyone who brings in their CX-7 for problems that the only repair option is to replace the engine.
    Not knowing what your engine issue is I will only emphasize that if the engine runs but has lost most of it's power then it can be repaired much cheaper and doesn't need a replacement.
    My daughter's engine ran very well, but the turbo was fried. And they told her she needed a new engine. It was a lie.
    Has anyone gotten the recall notice in the mail? IT IS TRUE. Mazda is FINALLY putting out the recall on driving chains, vvt accuators, etc, etc, etc AND they are extending warranties to 84k! Yes, I paid for a portion of my new engine but you can bet I'm going for the reimburssement. I haven't check their site, I'm just going off of the letter I just received.
    Good Luck!
    where did you see 84K miles? mine said 70K
    You are correct. It's 84 months or 70k, whichever first. I was reading the letter so fast I just remember the 84 in my head.
  • chadpatelchadpatel Member Posts: 1
    I bought 2008 Mazda cx-7 used at 16,000 mile on it. Had oil changed couple times and at 35,000 mile and engine quit. I took it to dealer and told me that your engine is sludge up with oil and due to lack of maintenance warranty is voided. They will not repair under warranty. This is ripoff.
  • pamhammondpamhammond Member Posts: 2
    Just read about the lawyer who took Honda to small claims court and was awarded over 9,000!! she says it is way better than a class action law suit, maybe all of us CX-7 owners with problems need to do this!! Mazda either needs to fix all these pieces of crap or pay up and we know they aren't about to fix them. Even with a recall they want proof that the oil was changed every 3000 miles or something ridiculous! We bought ours at a carmax dealer and have no proof of anything before we bought it, so they won't fix or do anything! Really am thinking of small claims court!
  • sbmazdasbmazda Member Posts: 8
    Purchased a 07 CX7 GT in 2009 with 14k. I have never owned a car with everything like heated seats, leather, moonroof, etc. My kids, wife and I consider it a luxury vehicle. Recently at 46K I replaced the EGR valve $573 parts/labor (ouch). Few days later got the letters in the mail about the VVT and heavy white exhaust smoke, thats when I found this forum. Sounds like the worst is yet to come. So I ask everyone, any advice? Can you elaborate on the ticking when starting? Loud, heard during idol?
    I'm still in awe at the response from Mazda. I got the recall paperwork, thought this is great for everyone it is affecting, and now I'm thinking that dealers are told to give this scripted answer for all engine problems.

I still have not sent in my paperwork to get reimbursed for labor and expenses put into replacing my engine because there's something just not right about the wording of exactly WHAT they are covering. It almost appears they will pick apart the invoice I have and take out parts that don't apply to this "engine noise" that they say they'll cover. It's just not sitting right with me. So, I guess I'll call a lawyer friend and see what he thinks. AND, if you don't sign the general release at the bottom releasing Mazda from all claims I'm sure they'll just shot it back and say "sorry, incomplete paperwork".
  • bsmith1980bsmith1980 Member Posts: 9
    When did you get your letter? Our car has been sitting for a year now and even with claims to the better business bureau and the highway saftety administration, we have not heard anything. Is there a website for the recall?