Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• austin18austin18 Member Posts: 11
    Hey guys! My salesman called me today and told me that the 2003 would be available by the end of April and they started taking deposits!
  • jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    I have a story to share with you all. You see, I work at a rental car agency and we just got a shipment of new SUV'S, around 5 or so new 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredos with the 4.7liter 238 horsepower V8. Before these new ones came in, we had the V6 Cherokees. These new V8's are full of power, in fact, I've never driven an SUV that had so much take off speed and steady acceleration. Some co-workers and I had to take the Jeeps up the street to get inspected since they were fresh off the truck with only 20 miles on them. When you put your foot down the pedal, this truck is no joke. I know it can take many, many cars out there on the roads with its vicious acceleration. One of the guys who was behind me was turning out of a parking lot and he pressed the gas a bit too much and the rear tires of the Jeep started squealing madly. It was pretty neat to see how much lethal power this SUV packs.

The point of this whole story is, I sure hope Toyota does come through with the V8 for the new 4Runner. The current 3.4 V6 in the Runner is alright. I've driven many Runners as well but the pickup and power can not be compared to a V8 powered vehicle. I was going to purchase a new 2002 Limited 4Runner within the next couple of weeks because I have wanted one for so long but now I know I will wait on the new Runner. Here's URL of the 4Runner that I was going to purchase, let me know what you think about it. The price on it is $39,022 but I could get the price much lower.

http://photos.setoyota.com/photos/JT3HN87R420374545.jpg

Since the new Runner is close to arriving in the US, I guess within 6 months or so, I figured it may be best to wait and see what kind of things Toyota does with the Runner and if I don't like it, I'll just buy a 2002. The difference between a V6 and a V8 is unbelievable. I've driven the Pathfinder with its 240hp V6 but I felt more power in the 238hp V8 Jeep. Gas mileage on the Jeep I drove was 14 city/19 highway. Not bad, just slightly less than the Runner by probably 2 miles or so.

So for all of those out there who are considering purchasing a 4Runner right now, hold off and see what the new Runner is going to be like. From the above posts, it seems like the Runner may keep most of its nice looking styling that it currently has. If so, then it would still look sharp. I hope the prices on the new Runners will remain reasonable. I sure hope Toyota doesn't get too happy and jack up the Limited models to way over $40K. Like others have said, its amazing to see how quiet Toyota has been on the new truck. Hardly anyone knows anything about it yet and it will be out within a few months.

• chugalchugal Member Posts: 1
    Only read through some of the posts about the new 2003 4 Runner. If you want to see what it will look something like do a search for the LEXUSGX470, and find a web site that shows that picture. That is very close to the new 4 Runner 2003..
    If I am wrong and what I read is wrong please post where a picture may be.
  • bayrunnerbayrunner Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if a lift kit is advisable for a 2000 4Runner? I purchased my 4Runner about a year ago and I have been contemplating a suspension lift for the truck. I've heard that it would be inadvisable to lift the truck because of the changes it would have to undergoe. I'm not looking for a monster lift, but more or less a 2 inch lift. Thanks.
  • buzzlightbuzzlight Member Posts: 44
    Why would aanyone buy a 2002 4 Runner. The 2003's are just around the corner and will be much more impressive !!!
  • loma1loma1 Member Posts: 32
    There are a few lifts availible for the 4runner. Check with ARB from Australia they have a replacement spring lift, look under Old Man Emu. You can also get spacer lifts from Cornfed and daystar which are less expensive. Lots of people use lifts on their runners and you can get from an inch to about three inches.

For spacers here are a couple of links

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/

http://home.earthlink.net/~larsdennert/4runner/lift/index.html

For OME

http://wecool.net/Home

http://members.cox.net/n0trub/omelift.html

• rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    The video I saw was for the 2003 4Runner. It said "2003" in bold letters across the front of the vehicle. Are you implying that Toyota would produce a video to mislead people? Have you ever seen a video for a proto type of a car currently in production? You don't even work for this company, and yet you are telling me what kind of video I am viewing???

Where have you seen the product? What can you tell us about your involvement with Toyota? From what I've read, you seem to 'know a salesman'. Is that the extent of your qualifications?
  • bayrunnerbayrunner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Loma1. I appreciate the info.
    My information does not come from a salesman. My sources are extremely knowledgeable and reliable. I have seen the video which you think is some big secret. It is a commonly shown promo piece of the current generation 4 runner. Too bad you weren't able to recognize it.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You keep insisting the 2003's are right around the corner, but every Toyota person I know is talking September. Cliffy would have them up on his radar by now. I don't know anyone who claims to have a car inbound as a 2003.
  • brwndoggybrwndoggy Member Posts: 41
    My local dealer in Austin says the new model is here in April for what it's worth. Not much on details but the date he said was legit....

Good thing is April is really close and Toyota will have to get some news out on this I would think.
  • jacksonmjacksonm Member Posts: 6
    My delaer also says April. I guess Buzz was right and Clifford was wrong.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I never said that the video was a 'big secret', in fact, I said that it contained no details at all, other than the '2003' at the beginning, the external and internal shots. I have related the the EVP of sales for TMS came to our location and said 'fall 2003' for the release date. I've asked many other Toyota companies, and they *ALL* say the same thing, yet you persist that as an outsider you have information saying March.

So what is your connection to Toyota? Do you work here? I've asked in the past who your resources were and never received a reply, other than you saying it was some salesman. Am I confusing you with someone else in here? Please correct me if I'm wrong. The people I've contacted in New York, Kentucky, and California all say the same thing. Release date will be fall of 2003.

Now anything is possible in a car company, but I've not been able to find even one person to corroborate your story. Can you please at least let me know where your resource(s) is/are? What city they are in?
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Actually, Buzz has changed his story because if you look back, he had been saying they would be out in March, which is clearly wrong. Now he says April, as does your dealer. Just wait. Before you proclaim me wrong, just wait.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    1) I was just reviewing the Chicago Region build (order)book. The March order (May-June arrivals) is for 2002 4Runners.

2)The national Toyota Dealer Meeting is September 8-10. Historically, new products arrive at dealerships just after this meeting.
    Your dealer is taking orders for the 2003? Then I assume that he has pricing right and equipment options right? Why don't you ask him to figure one up for you and let us know how that goes. Any honest dealership would not allow a customer to order a car without knowing the options at the very least. They can order without knowing price because they can just agree to sell it at MSRP, but they do need to let you know the equipment.

I'll place money that they can't do this.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    the new mid-size Lexus GX470 is coming with a 5-speed automatic? I bet that tranny goes in the larger LX470 too.

Any bets that it also will show up on V8-equipped Toyota SUVs, and perhaps even the Tundra?

Bob
    Cliffy, I expect to see a written apology when the 2003 4 Runners arrive next month.
    Apologize for what? Sharing the information I have? What are you going to do when they don't arrive in March?
  • llslicellslice Member Posts: 15
    This forum used to be a nice place to gather and share information.I'm outta here.
    They WILL arrive in March !!!
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    The 2003 4Runners may arrive in March, but my local dealer has a list of cars in stock. They also include cars on order in the next few weeks. The list includes a 2002 4Runner coming in March 9, 2002. This is a low tech way of checking to see if the 2003's are coming in. I would think they would stop ordering 2002's weeks before the 2003's.

http://www.atlantatoyota.com/frameset4.asp?LINK=NewCars&MAIN=new_vehicle_search

• kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Remember this an exhibition, not a competition...please...no wagering. :)

I've looked at those Southeast 4Runner inventory numbers over the past month or so, It's interesting to me anyway since I'm in Birmingham, AL. One thing to note is that about a month ago, the number was running in the upper 700's, now it's close to 500. Also, there aren't nearly as many 4WD'S and/or Limiteds available or in the pipeline as there usually are.

It's not the end of the world, but I hope you are right Buzz. I am envisioning a flashy New York car show introduction with sales immediately to follow. But have zero evidence to support that.

I don't know if it's related, but what's up with the dwindling inventory of the LandCruiser?
  • glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    Who would by a 2002 if the 2003 are redesigned? I would for several reasons.
    1. Size, if the new Runner is larger, I don't want it.
    2. Size, bigger=heaver=slower (V6)
    3. Size, V6 will be slow, V8 will be worse MPG
    4. Size, bigger=more expensive

Cliffy, current incentives end this month. Any idea on what the new incentives will be? Also, if I buy a runner, to get the best deal I will order one. What APR do I get when I order, the one at time of order, or the one at time of delivery. I assume time of order since I have to be approved to order, or not?????
    I anticipate rebates will be extended at the current level or more until the 2003 comes out. I am curious as to why you think you'll get a better deal on an ordered unit. If a dealer has a car in stock that is accumulating floor plan interest, he is normally more motivated to sell it rather than a unit that will not arrive for weeks.

APR is determined at the time of delivery.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I have noticed that the inventory of 2002's are down. The inventory of my local dealership is down 40% of what is was 6 months ago. Yes, it could be because of the new model coming out. Sales have been down a bit, so I wouldn't read too much into that. I think the newer models, low overall sales and it now being 7 year old model have taken their toll. Still I would think the model is still attractive to people who would like a well built known product, that still does a lot of things well. Not to mention the good deals. I don't think it is so dumb to by the 2002.

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolsu.asp

• glzr2glzr2 Member Posts: 70
    I get a discount if I order, down side is the 2-4 month wait (specially if APR is determined at delivery). I am trying to negotiate with a local dealer for one on the lot. It doesn't have everything I want, and they are trying to low-ball me on the trade-in. I'm getting the itch, and the longer I drive my ZR2, the more I want to buy the runner. I'm not a very patient person.
    You must work for a company that has a corporate buying program with Toyota. That is the only way I can see that you could get it for less on an order. If that is the case, you should make sure that the rebates and special financing offers apply to you. I have not worked for a dealership that did the "courtesy deliveries" but I assumed that these were not considered retail units and therefore did not qualify for the specials. Look into that before you decide.
    My dealer says the next runner will be here by the end of March. Pricing will be current + 4%. Third row seating will be an extra $800. V8 will be another $1200 according to my dealer. He said the v8 may be late availability....They also have a list of incoming vehicle.
  • jwcrjwcr Member Posts: 2
    have a '90 Cherokee, 138,000 miles, winch and heavy duty suspension. Great car, super offroad- but getting old! Have left it outside from the getgo. Never garaged! Questions: 1) anybody have any problems with 4 Runner sitting out forever in rain, etc. 2) how about putting Warn 6000 winch on 4 Runner. Would like to transfer my current winch. Thanks, Jack Crowley Seattle
    Some Toyota product manager somewhere is reading this board and getting a good laugh. Could he/she please email me? :)
    The pricing you are quoting for the 2003 4 Runner is not what I have heard....
  • kanerkaner Member Posts: 6
    I was planning to buy a 2002 4 Runner this weekend. My dealer says that the 2003 is way off, but people on this board are talking about it being here, soon. I would rather wait, for the 2003 but need to get something within the next few weeks. I called several dealers in NJ and none can confirm the above stories about an early release and pricing. Does anybody know? Help, please.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    The 2003 is around the corner the dealers will show it on their allotments. I've heard nothing.
    folks...the 2002 Southeast inventory has dropped again to 276...things that make you go "hmmm"...
  • pr23swpr23sw Member Posts: 6
    Say you were to buy a "certified" vehicle, ex. 1 yr. old w/ 10,000 miles. When buying it from the dealer can you still buy the platinum warrty. (7/100,000 bumper/bumper) for the vehicle since it is still cover under the original warrty.? Or can you just buy a gold warrty., just covers the basics, right? I would appriecate your advice.

Thanks,
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Than why haven't we seen a picture of it on the net, or a concept vehicle at least? I don't expect to see it until mid-summer.
  • poppadoc1poppadoc1 Member Posts: 11
    LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HERE, I TOO AM ANXIOUSLY AWAITING THE NEW 4RUNNER. BUT I HAVE TO SAY I'M ALSO THOROUGHLY ENJOYING THE DAILY BANTER GOING ON HERE. IT'S NICE TO KNOW THAT THERE ARE OTHERS JUST AS PASSIONATE AS I AM ABOUT THE NEXT GENERATION 4RUNNER.IN MY OPINION THE CURRENT MODEL HAS JUST TWO FLAWS....SLIGHTLY UNDERSIZED & SLIGHTLY UNDER POWERED. SO HERE IS MY PREDICTION. LIKE THE "NEW" EXPLORER THE "NEW" RUNNER WILL NOT STRAY TOO FAR FROM THE CURRENT WINNER. A LITTLE BIGGER. A LITTLE MORE POWERFUL. AND A LITTLE MORE UPDATED STYLING. AND WITH THIS LEVEL OF ANTICIPATION NO WAY WILL TOYOTA RELEASE THIS BEAST BEFORE THE FALL. AND LASTLY I THINK TOYOTA HAS FOOLED US ALL AND HAS GIVEN US A GLIMPSE OF THIS NEW TRUCK IN THERE LATEST NATIONAL TV AD....A 2-3 SEC SHOT OF A BLACK TRUCK PARTIALLY HIDDEN IN THE JUNGLE. SO LONG FOR NOW. I'LL BE GRACIOUSLY ACCEPTING CONGRATS IN THE FALL................. LOL
    My dealer says a ride and drive of the 2003 4-Runner is scheduled for April 2. Anyone else heard this?
  • jere39jere39 Member Posts: 20
    This is almost ridiculously late follow-up to my own post from about a year ago. I had been having a hesitation problem on a 97 SR5 during the winter months in PA (The colder, damper, hyper-oxygenated months). My local dealer tried(?) three times to fix it but declared un-detectable in their care. I decided to give them one last chance, and finally their A mechanic dicsovered a worn TPS (throttle positioning sensor). Just the name would have made me consider checking it on the first, second or at least the third try. I am happy to say a replacement of this $62.50 part solve my problem and returned my 80k mile partner to smooth running. Evidently this is not a common, nor typical problem, but if you are experiencing a mid-range (2000 rpm) hesitation, ask if the service folk have considered the TPS.
    Good question. It comes down to cost. Certified cars come with a 100K power train warranty and the "wrap" is cheap, but it is only a gold level policy. Dealer cost is $270 and is generally sold for $700 to $800. Dealer cost on a 7/100K Platinum is $770 and is sold for $1200 to $1400.

Warranties are a gamble. By not buying one, you are gambling that you will spend less in repairs over the term than you would have spent on a warranty. Personally, due to the MUCH greater level of coverage on the Platinum plan, I think this is a better gamble. The gold level does not include things like the CD player, key locks, wiring harnesses, moonroof cables (very expensive) and other, more fragile components.
    One of our salesman found this site today with a bunch of pics of the new Lexus. The thing I found most interesting is the side swinging door. I really hope that isn't something that will come on the new Runner.

http://www.clublexus.com/cgi-bin/clublexusgallery.cgi?direct=GX&img=0

I thought you knew everything about the new 4 Runner. If so, you should know all the details including the doors, etc. I am still waiting for my apology. Maybe I will just drive by the (supposed) dealership where you sell cars and show you my 2003 4 Runner in a few weeks. You can apologize in person !!!!
    Apologize for what? What have I ever said or done that would require an apology?
    On Monday or Tuesday, we will be getting our next allocation of cars and trucks. The cars allocated now will arrive in late March to early April. So... we have only a few more hours to speculate over this.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I couldn't finds those pictures you mentioned on that site??

The Toyota Land Cruiser Prado/Colorado have rear mounted tires (I believe), and also have rear doors. I'm betting the new Lexus is built off that platform too.

Bob
  • jlduncjldunc Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking into buying a 4Runner. I'd like the truck to be from 1993-1995. Does anyone know of anything I should know about these trucks. is there anything wrong with them seriously that continues to come up. I've got a Blazer right now that has a chronic EGR problem. I love it, but I'd like something more reliable. Anybody have any suggestions for something in the $7500 - $10,000 range. I like Toyota trucks, and the 4Runner is a geat truck. Just wondering if there is anything I should know about them before I get one.
  • pr23swpr23sw Member Posts: 6
    - is buying a NEW Toyota the only time you can purchase a Platinum warrty. from Toyota?

- Or can you still buy one ( a Platinum warrty.) when you buy the vehicle from a dealership if it's still under manuf. warrty.?

I am going to buy a 4runner here in the near future and I can not decide whether to bite the bullet and buy a new 4runner and get the platinum OR buy a one or two yr old model and save 10K. I'm willing to pay for a new one since I will keep the 4runner for seven to nine years. I have had too many bad experiences with issues on vehicles where I am prepared to buy a platinum to cover myself for the next 7 years/ 100,000 bumper to bumper(basically).

Thanks
    The Platinum warranty can be purchased up until the basic 3/36 expires.
  • khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    Cliffy, you're right...What the heck do you need to apologize for? I for one appreciate your inputs on Toyota products. Keep posting, bro...

I fail to grasp the importance of a few months difference in the projected release date of the new 4Runners. I guess there are people that just cannot wait to empty $40k as soon as possible.