Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• newgradnewgrad Member Posts: 25
    Hey guys--does anyone out there know of any kind of "colored" plastic filler to repair the interior paneling inside a 4Runner? Had some stuff go flying around in the cargo area, resulting in some pretty deep gash marks on the inside rear liftgate. Still pretty upset over the whole thing but what can ya do...I guess it gives it character but would still like to fix it nonetheless...Thanks in advance!
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    What purpose would be served by installing mud flaps on a vehicle with running boards?
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    Find the web site for As Seen on TV and in the search box put Vinyl repair...You will come up with Liquid Leather/Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit....Looks like $30+ S&H.
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    The Limited is equipped with a version of mud flaps already, at least the '98 is. But, I replaced a rear flap one time and the Toyota dealer parts department was able to replace it with a matching paint one. The price for a single flap was around $50.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Here at Edmunds the third seat has basically been discounted, but let me share a rumor I saw in another site. Personally I think the people here on this forum are correct and there is no third seat. But hey, lets add more fuel to the fire.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=012823

• rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    My sources (pretty good ones) say forget about it; no third seat for 2003. It's an SUV, not a minivan.
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    If the 03Runner is based on the GX470 platform (Toyota calls this a Luxury SUV), then it has the capability of being offered with a third row seat. Maybe the first production runs will not offer one, until Toyota can determine that the market is ready for it. They will have to get feedbacks on the MDX, Pilot, GX470 and the other SUVs already offering a third row seat.

We just have to wait and see I guess of what Toyota will eventually do
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Just received my October issue of Auto World Magazine. Featured on p.42 is the 2003 Toyota 4Runner. One very large front with side photo of the 4Runner. No interior pic's and no photo's on there web site. My scanner is broke so I cannot show you here. Looks similar to the first spy pic's posted here a few weeks ago. Overall it appears big. Check out the issue at you local newsstand.
  • sierrapksierrapk Member Posts: 19
    I've got a 2000 SR5 4WD and after the 36k warranty expired I have done all the oil changes myself. With the 4WD model, access to the oil filter from underneath is very difficult. However, working from the engine bay, just reach under and slightly behind the alternator and you'll find the oil filter within easy reach. You can't see it, but you can easily grasp it. Use a plastic "cap type" oil filter "socket" to fit over the end of the filter can and a 3/8" drive ratchet wrench and it is out in seconds. Unfortunately, Toyota still mounts the filter nearly horizontally, so it dumps oil all over everything below, including the rubber boots on the front driveshafts. Also, it makes it impossible to pre-fill the filter with oil to minimize the time the bearings run without oil pressure at start-up. Nevertheless, this is much easier than trying to access the filter from below. In any case, its a minor inconvenience given the reliability and great off-road performance of the vehicle. I've got almost 50k miles on this truck with absolutely no problems and 18.5-19 MPG average, 23 MPG best (this is with the low 4.30 gearing only available with the electric locking differential). In 35 years of driving, this is my favorite vehicle so far.
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    Average MPG on 98 4runner 4x4 : 18
    My next runner: 03 turbo-diesel, 165 hp common rail technology engine (hope to get better mileage)
    I have been told that research from the target audience for 4Runners shows that they not only do they not want it, they feel that it may affect its off road performance, therefore there will not be a 3rd seat in the 4Runner for 2003. I'm sure if further research indicates that there is a desire for the 3rd seat, Toyota will put one in, but don't look for it in '03. The GX470 and 4Runner share the same basic frame, so there is no technical reason for not having one.

The GX470 will have a 3rd seat, and a swing out rear door as opposed to the 4Runner's tailgate. Different audience, different desires, different vehicles.

Toyota is also considering a vehicle between the 4Runner and the RAV4, and be 'body on frame' as well.
  • climbingfooclimbingfoo Member Posts: 11
    Hi Folks,

In case someone here is wondering about it. The Small DiskLok fits perfectly on my 2002 4Runner. http://www.disklok.com
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    "... it may affect its off road performance"

Strange reasoning. It doesn't seem to affect the landcruiser or land rovers offroad.

What is the target audience?
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Is this a coating or is it "built" into the glass?? If it is a coating, should i be afraid of losing this H20-repellent property after a while?? Thanks.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Has anyone posted the new pics from Auto World yet?! I'm going to pick one up tomorrow, but I can't wait!
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    We are waiting for the auto world pics.
    >Strange reasoning. It doesn't seem to affect the landcruiser or land rovers offroad.
    >What is the target audience?

I doubt that it actually does affect performance, it's just that according to (I assume) the surveys, the *perception* is that it will. In any event, there was no interest in having the 3rd row seat, even if it was available.

I don't know how they conduct the surveys. They just shared the results with me. I would assume that the surveys for the Land Cruiser and Sequoia indicated a positive preference for a 3rd row seat and that's why they have one. I believe that the 4Runner is more likely to be off-road than either the Land Cruiser or Sequoia.
    It is weird how they conduct these surveys. Thanks for the info.

I would think the 4Runner is a little on the small side for the 3rd row to be truely useful. Most of the smaller SUV's with 3 rows are cramped anyway, unless you're 3 1/2 ft tall. I don't know why they think they have to have the capacity of a van to begin with.
  • philly2002philly2002 Member Posts: 41
    I'm trying to take a poll to see how many 1999-2002 4-runner owners have replaced their OEM tires since original purchase, the name/brand of the OEM, and mileage?

Thanks a lot.

1999 Toyota 4Runner Highlander aka Sports Edition
    16K miles
    A little something from Popular Mechanics:

"Toyota's fourth-generation 4Runner is due at dealers by November, if not sooner. The new 4Runner bucks the current trend toward carlike SUVs, remaining a body-on-frame design. The truck grows slightly in all directions but is unmistakably a Toyota truck. Previous 4Runners always had serious off-road capability and this one is no different. Our moles inside Toyota confirm that it has a 4wd transfer case with Low range. In addition, the new 4Runner features an advanced 4-wheel traction control and hill-descent system--like a Land Rover--that will be called Downhill Assist Control. The base engine is a V6--likely the current 3.4-liter unit. The 240-hp 4.7-liter V8 from the Tundra and Sequoia will be optional and paired with a new 5-speed automatic. A more potent 280-hp 5.4-liter version of the V8 will become an option on Toyota's big trucks. This 4Runner will share its chassis with the new Lexus GX 470 sport ute, which will get the V8 as standard equipment."

Of course, we know them to be inaccurate about the V6...
    I have a 2002 Limited 4x4. I just changed my tires from Dueler HT (OEM) to Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO at 1500 miles. They are great tires! Here is the link to my previous review of it:

http://www.gocrvclub.org/showthread.php?s=6b55ad356b266b405c40677d0e465179&threadid=870

Thanks.

PBS Motorweek has announced that they are testing the great new Ford Mustang SVT Cobra and (oh yes) the 2003 4Runner track test on September 21 at 5:00 PM. My guess is that we will see a lot of press releases in the next month or so. Hopefully we will get the real thing also at our local Toyota store.

I want to personally thank Paul S. for giving us a sneak...(sneak) preview about a month ago. I sent the pictures to a friend and he decided to buy a 2002 at, I think a really good price. As for the rest hopeful buyers, the 2003 will be here soon.

http://www.mpt.org/schedule/series.cfm?series_id=1434

I've got 48,200 miles on the original 265/70 R16 Goodyear Wrangler RTS tires, and there is almost exactly 1/2 the original tread depth remaining (as measured by a Goodyear tire center using a tread depth gage on 1 front and 1 rear tire). The truck is a 2000 SR5 4WD with auto trans, and tires are rotated every 7500 miles. I do use the truck off-road in the Mojave desert, and sharp rocks have nicked the edges of many of the tread blocks, but I couldn't be happier with the wear rate and traction in the wet. When these tires finally die I'll consider replacing them with another set of Wrangler RTS, possible 265/75 R16 if they don't rub with the steering at full lock.
    Ahhh, i think that site is full of it! They just "edited" in the new information, while leaving the old 3rd gen specs. It is pretty funny actually! Rear drum brakes?? Same cargo space?? Fuel tank of 18.5 gallons (GX apparently has 23 gallons)?? No mentioning of side airbags. Sequoia engine specs! Funny!
    I hadn't even read through all that yet, but you are right! My bad... Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I got a little over-anxious. Sorry everyone...
    Cliffy, do the 2001 4WD models have the diff lock in them?
    The locking differential was one of the "must have" options when I was looking for a 4Runner at the end of 2000. At that time, the availability of information on the 2001 models was somewhat similar to what we're seeing now with the 2003 model: not a lot of specific information from Toyota on exactly what option were going to be available. I finally found someone with a connection within Toyota, and he was able to confirm that the OEM electric locking differential was discontinued for 2001, replaced by the "stability control system" and the "traction control system". I went out the next day and bought one of the last 4Runners in my area that had the options I wanted, with the locker at the top of the list. It is absolutely essential in deep sand.
    Thanks for the info. They should have kept in. Hate it when they go "backwards."
  • beagles3beagles3 Member Posts: 132
    I have a 1999 SR5 4-WD (pretty well loaded) and I had that differential lock?? Is that the button that is located on the left side of the dash that says to use only when stopped and stuck?? I am confused? Truthfully, I have never ever had any problems with being stuck up in the snow and having to use anything but low or high in the transfer case,but, from 1999 on, did all the fancy traction control, etc.... really benefit everyone??
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    That's it. That's the diff lock.

: )
    Mackabee
    Slow down a bit folks. The optional REAR locking differential became obsolete with the advent of the Active-Trac 4WD system that come out in 2001. The new A-Trac models do have a CENTER differential lock.
  • jlamourjlamour Member Posts: 2
    I had owned an '87 4Runner- then in 1996 "upgraded" to a '95. They both treated me very well. Then, with only 74K miles, the heads blew(not to mention the new tires at I bought at 60K and the famous Yota crunch sound on a sharp turn coming on strong at 70K. I called Toyota to see if I qualified for the recall that just about all '91 to '94 Toyotas 4Runners and 3.0 L trucks had for their heads. They said nope, and that I was just SOL. To me, a headgasket is supposed to last longer than 74K- We kept the '95 in perfect running order too! With the snobbish attitude I received from the Dealer and Toyota USA- I am trying my luck with the 2003 Ford Exp. I was little weary about going domestic and had orig. thought about getting the Seq. but the 2003 Ford Exp. has way more features and rides smoother. Time shall tell if we made a mistake- but nonetheless, Toyota left us with a bad taste in our mouth.
    So the 2001 does have the electric center diff lock?
    Yes. They all do. The button is on the dash, to the left of the steering wheel.
    This is the official date for release of the 2003 Runners. On that day, every dealership will receive one new Runner with more to follow. After that initial vehicle, they will be allocated based upon our turn rate from the 2002's.

This information was provided in a memo we received today from Toyota.
    October 15, I heard it will absolutely and positively be March 1st, 2002.

(To the people who have not been reading this board for awhile, this is a small bit of humor.)
    Thanks for the info.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    Toyota like the 15th, from September 15 to December 15th, for vehicle releases.

Guess the GX470 will be sent out December 15th.

whotheman
  • squeakydekesqueakydeke Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 SR5 with the remote locking system. Is there any way to disable the rear window rolldown function? The button gets pushed by accident every now and then and seems to always happen during a rainstorm. I'm tired of bailing out the back. Luckily, everything usually gets caught in the rubber mat I have in the cargo area. I usually try to remember to take the keys out of my pocket if there is rain in the forecast. Just trying to find out if it is possible to re-program this without going to the dealer. And if I have to go to the dealer, how much is this going to cost me? Thanks.
  • jf01jf01 Member Posts: 88
    Would it work to just tape over the button so that it is not pressed?
    The magazine AMI Auto World Magazine (Special Edition) has a picture and information on the 2003 4Runner.

The specs:

Base price: 27,500 - 34,500 (est.)

Still a rear-wheel drive

4.0 DOHC all-aluminium V6 245HP(5200) and 283lb torque (3400)

4.7 DOHC V8 235HP(4800) and 320lb torque (3400)

Transmission 4speed-V6 and 5speed-V8

No manual transmission

Cargo

2nd row seats folded (75.1)

Behind 2nd row (40.6)

Dimensions

Length 187.8

Width 73.8

Height (with Rack) 71.2

Weight 4025-4450 (Depending on equipment)

For more information go to:

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?s=d332d1c001c52bad0aecf4d54b9dee82&threadid=1520

• jeffjeffjeffjeff Member Posts: 54
    The 2002 4Runner is nice very nice. After work on Thursday, I went to the local Toyota dealership because I thought I was ready to buy this Blue/Silver Limited 4Runner which is a rare color. My dad and I arrived at the dealership and spoke to a salesman and he gave me the keys to the truck and told my dad and I to go have fun. We had fun alright. This truck is nice, the color combination is sweet, it rides smooth and has adequate pickup on the highway. We rolled down the driver and passenger windows, opened the sunroof, rolled down the rear seat windows (which retract all the way down) and finally rolled down the tailgate window. The effect was nice, open air and smooth. It felt like a convertible sitting up real high. The price on the truck was $36 grand. Not bad, this included all of the incentives and deals. After the ride was over, it was time to talk numbers. Everything worked out well and I was just about to buy the truck but then I started thinking about the 2003 which had so much more to offer like, bigger engine, more interior room, HID's (I think), more air bags, and just about any other new things imaginable. Here's what threw me off, the salesman told me the 2003's would not be at the dealerships until:

--------FEBRUARY 2003 RELEASE DATE--------

Everyone has been talking about an October release of the new truck to the public and at least a demo model on the lots by September sometime. Now, everything is thrown back to Early 2003 according to the salesman. Well, just before signing the final papers, I looked at my dad and told him that I want to see what the 2003 is going to be like. We've only seen pics on the net, but I have not seen it in person, so it would be good to give the new truck a chance at least before getting an older model design right now. Is it just me, or does the interior of the truck seem a bit narrow in the front especially for the driver and passenger? I'm not a big guy but my dad is around 6ft or so and he kept bumping his head while trying to get into the truck. In the end, I think I'll just wait on the 2003's before making a decision on which model year to buy. Just because the color I want is rare shouldn't be the deciding factor on whether I get the truck or not. Color is not too important when compared to interior dimensions, engine specs and new features on the new model.

PS-- A representative from the local Toyota dealership emailed me this week with information on the 2003 Runner. He said, it will definitely look better in person than it does in the pictures on the web. He even included links to pictures of the 2003 4Runner and they were the same 6 or 7 pictures that we have all seen on the net lately, the blue Limited shot from different angles and the green and silver SR5 model. So, I guess the pictures are without a doubt the new 4Runner since a salesman sent me a link to them.
    It is probably wise to wait and see what the new 4Runner would look like. Given your situation, buying a Limited, I would of probably waited too. About the release date being in February, I think that happened before in 96, when things were delayed. But, Cliffy did say October 15 of this year. I have not known Cliffy to mislead us about anything. If there is a change I would suspect that Cliffy would know about it in the next few weeks. Also the salesman wanted you to buy the 2002 model. I'd say hang on a little more, the 2003 will get here. One way or another.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    6" wider, but have less cargo space, both seat up and down?

whotheman
    If there is a picture in the magazine, is the information embargo now off? Well here is one way to find out.

http://community.webshots.com/user/world_traveler_too

• redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 20
    This photo is by far the most disappointing to me. It looks more like a Subaru wagon than anything else I can think of. Lots of people are saying you have to see it person but I'm wondering how much different it could look. Also lots of folks think these vehicles are going sell at sticker price or better, I'm betting Toyota is in for a surprise after the first few months of release. If Toyota would have just added navigation to the 2003 Sequoia, I wouldn't even bother waiting any longer.
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    4Runner cross-over anyone??? I agree, this is a bad redesign.
  • redangusredangus Member Posts: 2
    I talked to Damian(a customer service rep. at Toyota's headquarters) yesterday and he confirmed mid to late October as the release date for the new 4Runner. So I would agree that Cliffy's release date is probably pretty accurate.
    I agree with "wotheman", why would the new 4Runner have less cargo space. That's why I wrote "Specs (maybe)" on post #2442. If it truly has about 5 cubic feet less, I would say the difference may be because of the height. But hopefully the "Specs" are off. I guess we will have to wait and see.