Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Got a Quick Question for a Car Dealer?

Comments

• Options
    greanpea68greanpea68 Member Posts: 1,996
    I just thought from your statement that I had missed something.

You didn't have anything missing... I was thinking more along the lines that it had some qualifications such as 36 months, certain amount of money financed... but reall when I it comes down it to it... and i am sure the Eclipse is doing great... it is mitsubishi... They are doing everything they can right now.

GP
  • Options
    I'm just more of a private person when it comes to my personal finances, hence, only securing a loan through my bank -- which also carries my mortgage -- versus a stranger where I do not have an on-going business relationship. (No offense to any F&I guys or dealers here!).

That is all fine. I wouldn't take a bank draft where you fiil out any amount unless I had researched it with the bank. I would still do business with you but I would come to a agreement with you on figures, sign contracts, And send you to your bank to get a certified bank check.... something that was computer generated. The contracts would list your bank as the lien holder. When you came back with your certified check I would let you take delivery :shades:

Everyone is happy!

GP
  • Options
    bizarrogirlbizarrogirl Member Posts: 6
    We let both dealers try to match our CapOne terms. The first dealer we worked with offered us 19%, the second 10%. Our CapOne rate is 6.8%, over a smaller term. The dealer financing also asked for a sizeable down payment, CapOne is only requiring a small one to cover the difference between the car's cost and the acceptable LTV ratio.

Why the huge difference? I have no idea. Our credit scores are pretty high, our debt is very small and paid diligently, on time ... except for one ugly line -- an old foreclosure. The only reason I can think of is we've had credit cards with them for a long time, which have been well managed. :confuse: Beats me.

We do plan to refi, actually, within six months, but even in that scenario, I didn't think it made sense to do the dealer plans.
  • Options
    econdorecondor Member Posts: 5
    you were all right! thank you - they balanced the tires and problem solved...it was a crazy few days at the dealership so i was expecting the worst...what was interesting though is i had to almost beg for a tech to take the car for a ride bc the service manager was "90%" sure that the problem was that 1 or all the tires had developed some hardening from being chained during shipment and that it would be all gone after approx. 2 weeks of driving, preferably highway driving - anyone ever heard of that? i def haven't...so after about 15 mins of asking/telling the serv mgr i wanted it driven, the tech drove it said he def thought it was out-of-balance.....problem gone
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Modern tires do not do that. Especially in only a few days on a truck.

The service manager was BSing you, only wanted you to go away, and hopefully not come back.

If you get a phone call about 'how was our service', I think you should give them an earfull about the shoddy service from this service manager.
  • Options
    econdorecondor Member Posts: 5
    greenpea68 - thanks for the response...i posted a little earlier that you guys were on the money about the balancing issue...i would love to know if you've ever heard or seen any 'hardened' or 'flattened' tires like i mentioned in the other post?...as for the saleman, yes he was probably 23-24 y/o...i'm glad you mentioned what you did about the survey bc i always wonder if they are really utilized or just for show...and i def would not want to have a negative impact on him bc he is a good guy and has some potential...in reality, there are a few things that bothered me about the initial deal, but for the most part they stepped up and made things right...i love the car!

one more thing, i got the '09 3.5se premium and was debating about adding a sunroof/moonroof either solo or in the sport package...i chose not to get one...afterward the sales mgr said if i ever changed my mind he would 'split the cost' on the after-market one they would use...so i got it in writing - he said it would cost me $650-$700 and that it's as good or better than the factory one...i really doubt i'm gonna do it but i am curious if an aftermarket sunroof could be better than factory-installed and how is the price he gave me? thank you.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    and that it's as good or better than the factory one

I would take that with a gain of salt. I have know several people who did the after market ones and they ended up leaking after a while. No one I know with a factory one has ever had one leak. Also if you decide to do it make sure it won't void the cars warranty.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It depends on the installer and the type of roof.

The company we use uses the same brand that the 2009 Accords use. I have never heard of one leaking and they come with a lifetime guarantee against leaking.

Also, very unlikely it could affect the car's warranty in any way.
  • Options
    First of all the Service manager was a idiot for saying the tires got hard spots from transportation... What he is talking about is... say a car, any car sits still for a long period of time 6.... the tires rubber can get flat spots on the tire where it is making contact with the ground. It would not happen in a few weeks on a new vehicle

Second... On the survey you will be able to write things down. You can complain about certain people in writing. But just make sure you check all excellents. The kids monthly bonus are more than likely tied into these surveys... At least everyone I know has there bonus tied into the surveys...

Third.... If my co workers knew I said this I could get black balled. I recomend that you stay away from after market roofs. they are definitley NOT better than the factory roofs. The ones from the factory have drians built in for light rain. The after market ones are OK but I only use them as a last resort for someone. The price he gave you was cost. But I would not suggest you get one.

GP
  • Options

The company we use uses the same brand that the 2009 Accords use. I have never heard of one leaking and they come with a lifetime guarantee against leaking.

Wow... Isell... does it look just like a factory roof?

The ones we do also have a lifetime warranty only for the original owner. it is not transferable.

GP
  • Options
    They look "almost" like a factory roof and they have drains too.

I can't remember ever having any trouble with any of them.
  • Options
    nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    Earlier this month, I negotiated a price on a car. The dealer didn't have the exact car in stock, but had one already scheduled to be built at the end of Oct, with delivery estimated in early November. I signed some papers (but didn't receive a copy) and they charged my credit card $500 to assign the car to me.

Now with the financial markets tanking, the wife is worried about buying a new car.

I'm still inclined to go through with the deal, but I was wondering (in case the stock market continues to crater), can I back out of the deal and get my $500 back? This is for a Honda, in Texas, if that matters.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    "...the odds are stacked against the consumer..."

Except you the consumer can always walk out. That's like having the only gun in a knife fight.

It took me a long time to realize that. :)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Yes you can back out of the deal.

You should get your deposit back unless you signed something to the effect that the deposit was non-refundable.
  • Options
    wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    We had a ASC or something like that installed in a '93 or so Nissan Quest Van. Came with a 6 year warranty, looked like the factory sunroof, maybe a little better with a little better function. I think the cost was comparable to the factory ones. Never had a problem in the 6-7 years we had the van.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    The company we use uses the same brand that the 2009 Accords use.

The 2009 Accords huh? Not much history/future to fall back on is it? :P

I have never heard of one leaking and they come with a lifetime guarantee against leaking.

People who drown in their cars, due to leakage from poor aftermarket sun roof installation, rarely have much to say. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    Funny man.

I don't know, Honda could have used that company for prior models too?

Do you think for a minute that Honda doesn't put their suppliers through the grinder by testing and testing their products.

If your friends used the cheap pop in units and they leaked, I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I personally wouldn't get an aftermarket sunroof put in. Even if it's the same brand as original equipment, it's still not done at the factory with laser precision (i would hope) and high manufacturing standards.

Not to knock on any aftermarket sunroof companies, but somebody is putting hacksaw to your roof and cutting a hole open, probably leaving unfinished metal exposed (future rusting?), and having no engineered drain channels built in. :lemon:

Just my 2 cents...

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    Funny man.

I don't know, Honda could have used that company for prior models too?

Do you think for a minute that Honda doesn't put their suppliers through the grinder by testing and testing their products.

I was just joking about Honda's sunroofs... just trying to give "Jipsters Legion of Lurkers" something to enjoy/look forward to. Thanks for all the e-mails guys... and that side of beef you had delivered was delicious.

I'm sure Honda's sunroofs are quite reliable. But, I will have to go along with previous posters, in that aftermarket will not have the overall longtime reliability as high as factory.

If your friends used the cheap pop in units and they leaked, I'm not surprised

What makes you think my friends are cheap? :(

If I could only get as much as a smirk out of isell, my lifetime work here at Edmunds would be done, the journey complete. I could move on, become president or something.... maybe take Karen's (host) job as head cheese of all cheese heads. I would open up a "No Holds Barred" discussion where anything goes. We could invite tbaxxon, pch101, fandiguy, jmonroe, mack, ... all the great villains from Edmunds past and present. We'd make a fortune in advertising revenue.

But, alas... some things are just never meant to be. :cry:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm pretty sure that discussion would violate constitutional rules on cruel and inhuman punishment. :P

Sometimes people don't know when you're kidding.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    The company we use uses the same brand that the 2009 Accords use.

Two questions come to mind. First is while it is the same brand is it the exact same model? Differences are crucial. Second is that even if its the exact same one its still not installed by the factory. A lot of quality control issues come into play.

If anything happens that can be traced to the sunroof or the installation and the warranty will not cover it.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    lostsomewherelostsomewhere Member Posts: 1
    Does it cost a dealer to locate and acquire a new car from another dealership for me if they don't have the one I want on their lot? If so, how would I figure out a fair price for this?
  • Options
    Well, yes, they have to pay a driver to go get it and that's usually 50-100.00 depending on how far they go.

And most smart stores will do another inspection on the car which incurs a charge.
  • Options
    Sometimes people don't know when you're kidding.

hmmm... I thought it was pretty obvious people don't drown in cars with leaky sunroofs. And I did use a smiley face raspberry emotorcon at the end of the 2009 Honda sunroof comment. I don't know what else I can do to convey my special brand of humor... other than to include directions and a owners manual with every post. :confuse:

Ohhh I get it... you were kidding. Good one shifty!

But, I'm pretty sure isell knew I was joking... he just had to set the record straight in reguards to Honda quality. ;)
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883
    Doesn't the acqquiring dealer also lose the holdback - assuming there is one?

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    My mom's lease is up on her Acura soon, and the car is loaded, has been super well maintained, and has LOW miles on it since she never drove it. US Bank holds the lease with the residual at around 16K. She is interested in a new Accord, but her buyout isn't unfair either. any thoughts on what to do? She has 10K to put down on something, i suggested she buy hers out, get the warranty and then have it paid off in a couple years with a cheap payment vs financing something new for another 5 or 6 years.
  • Options
    madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Ouch, 5 year lease. Just buy it out. I'm sure it's running like a champ. Don't bother with the extended warranty and pay it off quickly.

That's my thought.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Ultimately we are all brothers in the trenches of the Great Car War.

I wonder what you guys think about the GM/Chrysler merger talks? Anybody affected?

Insiders say it's a 50-50 chance of happening.

I can only hope it's not going to be like one of those jokes about the intelligent woman with a puny body marrying the handsome male movie star with no brains and then genetics giving them a baby exhibiting the worst parts of both. :cry:
  • Options
    Not to knock on any aftermarket sunroof companies, but somebody is putting hacksaw to your roof and cutting a hole open, probably leaving unfinished metal exposed (future rusting?), and having no engineered drain channels built in.

Have to agree with you Boom

GP
  • Options
    A lot of quality control issues come into play.

Like the kid who is installing.... did he have a left handed smoke before he got to work? :P

gP
  • Options
    Does it cost a dealer to locate and acquire a new car from another dealership for me if they don't have the one I want on their lot? If so, how would I figure out a fair price for this?

YES..... Hence the old syaing "Time is money"

You have to pay someone to go get the vehicle.... whether it is a lot kid or a retired swap guy.... still paying someone to drive and get it.... also managements time in calling other dealers to lock it down. The office girl who has to bill it out... the list goes on.

GP
  • Options
    other than to include directions and a owners manual with every post.

LOL

GP
  • Options
    Ouch, 5 year lease. Just buy it out. I'm sure it's running like a champ. Don't bother with the extended warranty and pay it off quickly.

Moo,

He said the lease was up... he didn't say it was a 5 year lease. He said instead of getting a new finace for 5 years. I know it is a little early this morning ;)

GP
  • Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    We give grief to dealers who make you put a deposit and the they sell the car to somebody else. However, I have to side with the delaer on this one.

Yes, you can get your deposit back (smart to put it on a cc), but I don't think it's ethical. Just my .02. Looks like you can still afford the car based on your post. If you can no longer afford the car, obviously it's a different story.

A.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Yeah, it could have been a used car lease. If she's buying it out, I'd skip the extended warranty--he says it's been well maintained, it's an Acura, and it's not driven much. Also, if it's already out of warranty, you can't get a factory extended warranty anyway.
  • Options
    madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Fair enough. If she has 10k down, then why finance it for 5 years? Just put down the most you can and finance $7,500. Have a 12 month term and pay it off. Sounds like a nice car to hold onto.
  • Options
    Fair enough. If she has 10k down, then why finance it for 5 years? Just put down the most you can and finance $7,500. Have a 12 month term and pay it off. Sounds like a nice car to hold onto.

Exactly :shades:

Just sold a repeat customer...... His lease lease ends next week (currently has Xterra SE).... The fun part is he has been coming in every couple of weeks running numbers since July. Never mind about 100 emails. His problem was if he bought or leased another Xterra back in July August he would have saved himself about $150 month. Wanted to get a 2009 because interior trim looked better. The problem was since he was $150 cheaper a few months ago it was hard for too swallow the price jump :sick:

Anyway after talking many other dealers he came back and purchased his second vehicle from me 3.5 years :shades: He ended up with another Xterra SE... his upgrades include GArmin Nav Nuvi, Leather seats, bluetooth, XM radio, I-POD interface.... Looking forward to another excellent survey :shades:

GP
  • Options
    Local new car dealer (Nissan) is selling 35 thousand dollar cars on Craigslist. It was almost impossible to find a car listed by a private party seller today. Every post is "for sale by dealer" or dealers pretending to be "owners".

Has it gotten this bad? What next, brand new Infinitis sitting on lawns with hand made "for sale" signs? :cry:

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Has it gotten this bad? What next, brand new Infinitis sitting on lawns with hand made "for sale" signs?

No Dealers higher search engines such as edmunds and so on... Craigslist is now the new vehix.com... Dealers are trying to hit anywhere on the web where they can get noticed. I forget what the search engine is called but we are supposed to be going the same route here at my store. I recall them talking about it in a morning meeting.

GP
  • Options
    jchevroletjchevrolet Member Posts: 30
    The trading dealer always keeps their own holdback. Advertising also plays a role as well. If a dealer has a vehicle that does not have advertising, then the dealer has to cut a check for the other dealer's advertising. The dealer trade rule of thumb is to always trade for something cheaper.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I don't think there is much in it for GM. There has been discussion elsewhere about how GM would get the Cummins diesel/Allison transmission out of the RAM. But the other side of the coin is that with new "technology" diesels coming out soon, this motor may very well end up obsolete. While the Hemi is a good motor-gas prices will affect that. The Silverado far outsells the RAM.

I have heard that there could be a trade with present ownership of Chrysler for what they own of GMAC financing. Cerberus owns like like 51% (don't hold me to these numbers) and GM owns the rest.

Maybe just a trade with little money involved?
  • Options
    The trading dealer always keeps their own holdback.

Sorry but I have a JC correction :blush:

I know some manufacturers don't swap hold back. All I can do is speak for Nissan. Here we swap hold back, add any wheel locks or any other added accesories.

GP
  • Options
    rachellyrachelly Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks!

Okay guys. I thought I'd take a chance at the possibility of becoming a sales/leasing agent. I was sent an e-mail from Champion Toyota here in Houston, TX. Basically Toyotas almost sell themselves because of the great gas milage and the reliability. My question is- would it be worth it- and when they say- "paid training" does that mean that the training is free but you will not get paid during that time or does it mean that you'll get paid for it? If I'm a single mom and super broke, would it be advantagous? I was thinking about using some scholarship money that I have to get a laptop and using it to go over figures and mileage to create presentations that could be used for marketing/sales. What would I possibly see in compensation?
    Another thing is, if I am attending classes for Global Logistics, would I learn anything regarding automobile logistics or supply chain processes by being in sales?
    Oh, by the way- how does being attractive effect your sales? I'm not a very attractive person. Please be nice and honest. I don't look like Rosanne Barr, but I'm no Angelina Jolie either. : P :P
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I'm guessing the training wage would be very low. I'm also guessing the majority of your compensation would be based on the sales you made, and despite the popularity of Toyotas, make no mistake, nothing is selling very well right now! (If the stock market has 12 more days like last Thursday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average would be at zero...)
  • Options
    "...Dealers are trying to hit anywhere on the web where they can get noticed..."

Sounds like a good financial move as Craigslist is free in my area. Long term though do dealers really want to be on the same page as "Fast Eddie's Used Cars And Hair Salon"? From the many angry posts these marginal dealer have a poor reputation for honesty.

• Options
    Sounds like a good financial move as Craigslist is free in my area

It is free in every area ;)

They will also be on the same page as "casual encounters" ;)

GP
  • Options
    "...how does being attractive effect your sales..."

In sales your confidence and competence are more important than your attractiveness. While there might be a few horny toads that would spend 30K just because a pretty young thing flirted with him, most men (and all women) would respond to a fair deal presented by a knowledgeable sales professional.

I have purchased car from some butt-ugly sales folks.

As to the "paid training" that is usually minimum wage. Most states have done away with non-paid training but companies don't like spending money on employees who are not producing.

As to Toyotas being easy to sell, don't bet on it in this economy. :sick:

• Options
    "...It is free in every area..."

Right you are for car ads. I was remembering the fees for job listings and brokered rentals in some big markets.

What's "casual encounters"? That's not like "erotic services" is it? Shame on you. :surprise:

• Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    While the thought is good, the economy stinks right now. With the number of cars you would sell because of the economy, you may be better off and make more money taking a low-skill job while you are attending school.
    Good luck to you!
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    you may be better off and make more money taking a low-skill job

Wasn't that what she was asking about? C'mon Toyota salesperson isn't exactly high skill. :P