Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2010 Chevy Equinox

15678911»

Comments

• jomac95jomac95 Member Posts: 6
    Turn off the automatic headlight function. That will stop it.
  • rocketentrocketent Member Posts: 60
    As I said, I've tried turning off the automatic headlight function, but the interior dashboard display still dims when I go into a dark area. If that works for everyone else, then I have a problem.
  • hipkts2010hipkts2010 Member Posts: 5
    Mike,

Do not know if you got this issue solved yet.

I also tow the Equinox behind a motorhome.

What I did was to thread the wiring in between the front fender and the body. The wiring fits fine in the door when I want to use it. I also found that I can pull the wiring back into the engine compartment when I am not towing.

I can send some pictures if you need.

Regards,
    Mike
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    On my vehicles when the lights are dimmed to much due to the automatic thing, I just turn the dimmer switch up to bright setting, the lower it if its to bright at night.
    Ok, I was turning off the auto light right before going into darkness and the interior lights would still dim, but turning them off well in advance they don't dim, so it probably takes a few seconds to take affect.
    edited November 2010
    Me too! I haven't been resetting my average mph and mpg very much, since I mostly drive city miles, like average 20 mph, that yields about 22 mpg. Today I took a small trip on the freeway and reset the computer before I started out. Cruise control only, manually bumping up or down mph as needed. I think I braked about 4 times, which was the only pedal I touched. Then about 10% stop and go on surface streets.
    After the trip, the read out reported that I was getting 34.4 mpg, at an average speed of 59 mph.
    Not earth shattering, but it made me feel good.
    4Cyl - LT1
  • wallyuwlwallyuwl Member Posts: 166
    I will point out to everyone that has complained about mileage that the EPA city mpg rating in the 4 cyl FWD 2010-11 Nox is 22 mpg. If you are driving all in the city, and getting 22 mpg, that is average one could expect (EPA ratings are averages).

I often get the advertised mpg or better in the city. And this city is bad for traffic with lots of stop and go, really long stop lights (some lights are literally 6 minutes long), lots of slamming brakes because of bad drivers, etc.

On the interstate I have never gotten 32 mpg. 28-29 is what I get normally at about 75 mph in our very hilly area. 32 seems very doable at 55-60 mph, especially in areas with flat land.
  • codeeashtoncodeeashton Member Posts: 2
    I loved almost everything about my 2010 Equinox. My major complaint was the slipping between 3rd and 4th and the loud clunking and thunking noise at least several times a week at 40 mph. I had my Equinox 2 weeks and took it into the shop with my complaint. In the long 6 months I owned it, I took it into the dealership shop 7 different times. They never could figure out the problem other than to say that Chevrolet considered these issues with the particular transmission in the Equinox to be normal. There is nothing normal about about taking off down the highway and on occassion when hitting 40 mph having the vehicle make a loud clunking noise and vibrate violently as if the transmission fell out of the car. I got no help from the dealership or Chevy. I am a Chev fan and am hoping that the 2011 Traverse I bought will not have any transmission issues. I've had it a week and so far so good. It is roomier and has much more power. The gas milaege isn;t bad either. I'm averaging 26 mpg which is only slightly less than I was getting in the Equinox.
  • willo3willo3 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2011
    texanna99,

I had a similar issue with my seat belt but it was more like a squeaking sound. It was from the inside of the seat belt latch (facing me) rubbing against the seat. On one side of the buckle there was already a pad. I purchased some rather wide/long velcro, cut it down, and stuck the soft side of the velcro to the other side of the buckle and it worked like a charm. I discarded the coarse part of the velcro.

Hope that helps!
  • texana99texana99 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks. That is a good idea and a more permanent one than my solution, which was to jam a piece of cloth between the buckle and the seat (which tends to slip down after some time). Not nearly as elegant as yours! I'll try the velcro fix this weekend.
  • 10lt210lt2 Member Posts: 18
    Your mileage sounds like mine.

If I drive the car "fast" (say 70-80 mph) on the maryland highways, I am getting 28-29 mpg with the 4 cylinder.

For my 60 mile round trip to work, I easily get 32-34 mpg. I reset the computer one week and tried to make a game of it (without pissing off the other drivers) and I was able to hit over 35 mpg on the round trip (and thats with hitting a few red lights).

This driving, however, is in the 45-60 mph range on relatively rural roads with that type of speed limits.

The vehicle can do the 32 mpg but not at 75 mph.

A note, many short trips and city traffic bring the mpg ratings down quickly on this heavy vehicle.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    Sounds like you found the magic MPH/RPM range to maximize fuel savings.
  • kisankisan Member Posts: 2
    "Also is this a good car for 3 dogs (Boxer90lbs, Golden R 75lbs and Cairn terrier 25lbs) "

Answer is NO!!!! I have 2 dogs, 1 85lbs, the other 55lbs. The back seats don't fold flat so they constantly are sliding around the back...esp with that plastic "barrier" that closes the gap between the cargo area and the back seat. There is not enough room for both with the back seats up. With them down....well it's horrible.... If not for that I have no complaints....but with this, I'm wishing I'd have thought twice....I would have changed my mind....
  • mike601mike601 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Equinox with the navigation / entertainment package and have never gotten a clear answer on the hard drive storage. I have loaded about 4 gigs of music from a USB drive and the 40gig drive shows 1/2 full. The dealer tells me the navigation system eats most of the space. I find this hard to believe.
    Anyone know how this drive is allocated?
    Also does anyone know if this is a solid state drive or a traditional hard disk drive?
  • urdeadurdead Member Posts: 13
    I am finally glad I am done after 2 years of owning this lemon of a vehicle. I have never had such a love/hate relationship with a vehicle in my life. After dealing with multiple electronic gremlins and voodoo GM technicians. I should have known after the first 30 days of ownership after it had been in the shop for 18 days I was going to have nothing but problems.

GM low level customer assistance will promise the moon until you are handed off to a higher level assistance whose job it is to see that your vehicle never gets fixed right.

The safety is laughable because one of the 1st things that went wrong with my car were the center stack controls would randomly quit working, my Nav/Radio would reset. Every time I would take it in inevitably they would turn off the vehicle and then restart the car which would then make them work. They re-programmed 3 times but the problem persisted it was never truly fixed. That is until I read about the recall on this board. I thought they were required to send recall notifications.

GOOD BYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE CHEVROLET!!!!!!! You have forever lost a customer from myself and anyone else in my circle of friends and family I can prevent from buying one of your vehicles.
  • robert145robert145 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2010 Equinox. I cant believe they put the USB connection inside the center console so that it sticks out into the compartment....so that if you put anything else into the compartment, your most likely going to break off the USB drive or damage the outlet. THAT was a ridiculous design flaw. Why not just locate it in the dash just below the radio.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Wifes Fusion is the same way. I wonder if all of them do this. What I did was buy a 1 foot long cord with a usb male end and female on the other side (must be a name for these but I don't know what they are called). Anyway plug the male end inside box and thread it out the top as you will see two indents there with that little I call pocket just outside the console where my thumb drive plugs into the female end and lays in that little bay. This way I can change out drives without even opening the console.
  • cusefancusefan Member Posts: 2
    I have 59K on my 2010 Chevy Nox. I have the 4 cyl engine. Seems to start fine, back it out of driveway, put it in first, the car has this violent hesitation for about 600 feet and then runs fine. Never have any engine lights or warnings or anything. Unforntunetly, it is consistent enough my wife won't drive it but not consistent enough that the dealer can find anything on two visits. No codes in the engine so they are helpless. I am told it needs to get worse so they can figure it out. The engine is not over revving so tranmission is not slipping in my mind anyway. Anyone had anything similar that is now fixed and more importantly....know what was fixed. Can't seem to tie it to cold days, wet days or hot days. Just seems to happen but only when the engine is cold. I used the word violent because your heads gets moved when this happens. I worry about some kid rear ending me.

Thanks
  • tracymoniquetracymonique Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I just purchased a used 2010 Equinox LS and I filled up this morning at the gas station. The gauge read full and said I had 398 miles to empty. However, after driving 10 miles to work the gauge now reads 3/4 full and says that I have appx 336 miles to empty. The gauge started moving IMMEDIATELY! Is this normal? Also I had the toughest time getting the gas pump to stay in the tank. Is there a trick to filling this vehicle to get the pump in all the way? Lastly, I could not for the life of me find a button or way to reset my trip odomoter to see how much I am getting to a full tank. :confuse: I have the base LS model and any help you could provide would be most welcome. Thank you very much.
  • ronwelronwel Member Posts: 57
    Trip1 and Trip2
    This display shows the current distance traveled, in either kilometers(km) or mile(mi), since the last reset for the trip odometer. The trip odometer can be reset to zero by pressing SET/CLR while the trip odometer display is showing.

I found that you have to have the gas nozzle not pushed in all of the way for it to flow properly. I would fill up a few more times and see if the fuel gauge keeps dropping quickly right from the start. I have not seen or heard of this issue on any other boards.
  • tracymoniquetracymonique Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much Ronwel for the instructions on how to reset trip 1 and 2 and the tip on how to position the gas nozzle. I really appreciate it. Other than these couple of things I am loving my Equinox so far. :shades: Thanks again!
  • equinotequinot Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    Hello,

Purchased my 2010 LTZ (63000 miles) less than one month ago.....It is already in the shop!!!! I am sooo disappointed. I am a single parent and thought I was upgrading to a better more reliable vehicle to transport my kids in and make my 100 mile roundtrip commute to work.... I DO NOT have a second vehicle as a back up and should not be going thru this ALREADY!!! Noticed some rough idling and was having to throw it into neutral to keep it running....then acted normal for the next two days...THEN rough idle, stalling out, Stabilitrac system shut down, then engine light came on. Managed to get it to dealer (sweating at every stop) only for them to inform me that it may be something not covered under GM's powertrain warranty and I will then be charged 90.00 for system analysis and have to pay 42.00 for loaner vehicle!!! I cannot afford to go thru this and I am beyond belief that this is even happening!!!! Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    equinot,

We're sorry to hear that you have encountered these difficulties with your Equinox. If you would like for us to check into anything on your behalf, we can be reached via email at [email protected] (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    You made a VERY wise decision! ----- GM forced you to make this decision by their lack of "proactive service." ----- The Equinox is a beautiful vehicle, but the "quality" is only skin deep! ----- I almost purchased a new 2010 Equinox, but I purchased a 2010 LTZ 2.4 Malibu instead. ------- My 2.4 is NOT a "direct injection engine" so I do not have the engine / operating problems associated with the Equinox. ---- GM and the Chevrolet Dealer Network have "dropped the ball BIG TIME on this vehicle!" ----- Anyone in the market for a new or used SUV, who is reading the postings on these boards, would be "hard pressed to consider the purchase of the Equinox." ---- There are WW2 trucks & jeeps that are at the bottom of the ocean in freighters that are in better operating condition than the Equinox! ------ It is time that both GM and the Dealers take positive action for their loyal customers! ------ Their automotive image is being destroyed by their lack of "positive action!" ----- QUESTIONS: ----- Do they care? ----- or ---- Are they waiting for "another unaware customer" to walk into the show room, and make a purchase of one of these vehicles, so that they too can join the people on these boards? ------ YES, I believe that the Equinox could go "head to head" with a Rav4, --- "IF" --- GM put some "quality in the product," and backed it up with "high quality / proactive service." ----- Just some ideas to consider when purchasing your next vehicle. ------ Dwayne
  • lbeckemanlbeckeman Member Posts: 5
    I am beyond fed up with my 2010 Equinox. This car has been in the shop 4 times in 5 months and twice this month.
    Windshield wiper transmission
    Battery Imploded acid outside of protective casing
    Radiator cracked
    Catalytic Converter

Each time my car goes in, I am told that "my issues" are not normal but COULD happen.
    This car is costing me a lot of money and time.

I have been complaining about the engine idling heavy and almost stalling when I am stopped at red lights etc. This has been checked out three times and I have been told repeatedly that everything is fine.

Now that the catalytic converter went (which is the ONLY thing GM has covered), will this stop the stalling? Could the causes behind the radiator cracking and the catalytic converter be related?

I can not wait to unload this car. It has been an absolute nightmare!
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    A clogged Catalytic Converter, (exhaust system), can cause a "rough idle," and can cause the engine to "stall." -------- Vibration in the engine compartment, (due to a rough running engine), can cause a radiator to crack! ---- A clogged exhaust system will cause performance problems on the road, and change the shifting characteristics of the automatic transmission. ---- But the dealership will NEVER admit these facts! --------------- Dwayne
  • tlarsentlarsen Member Posts: 1

I got my 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ last year and it has had a radio memory recall issue that has gotten progressively worse since. When I turn the car off and then back on later, it does not recall what device and music was playing. It will get stuck on one song on the HD or CD and that is where it will start up at every time. Then after a while it gets stuck on a different song when it restarts. Most recently the radio is always off when I start it but if I select the HD or the USB it will always start on the same song at the same place. Strangely, it does remember the radio station that it was last on but I have to select the radio. Once the car is on there are no playing issues and if the car is off for only a couple minutes then it will pick up on the song that it left off on. The clock has the same problem. I can set the time and then when I restart, the clock reverts back to the time it was previously set to. My radio stations and HD info are not affected by this. I had the dealer look at it and they had no idea what was wrong.

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252

@tlarsen said:
    I got my 2010 Chevy Equinox LTZ last year and it has had a radio memory recall issue that has gotten progressively worse since. When I turn the car off and then back on later, it does not recall what device and music was playing. It will get stuck on one song on the HD or CD and that is where it will start up at every time. Then after a while it gets stuck on a different song when it restarts. Most recently the radio is always off when I start it but if I select the HD or the USB it will always start on the same song at the same place. Strangely, it does remember the radio station that it was last on but I have to select the radio. Once the car is on there are no playing issues and if the car is off for only a couple minutes then it will pick up on the song that it left off on. The clock has the same problem. I can set the time and then when I restart, the clock reverts back to the time it was previously set to. My radio stations and HD info are not affected by this. I had the dealer look at it and they had no idea what was wrong.

Hello tlarsen,

I'm sorry to hear that the dealership has been unable to resolve this issue with your radio. We'd be happy to do some additional research on this matter to see what we can come up with on our end. If interested, please private message us your full contact information, VIN, mileage, and the name of your dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N.
    GM Customer Care