Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Mitsubishi Endeavor Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    stantonb1stantonb1 Member Posts: 51
    I bought my Endeavor used out of lease with 6,500 miles. I installed a Bell electronics monitor that states my gas mileage is 20-22 in city driving using 89 octane. My Endeavor is dover white pearl and really looks good when polished. I absolutely enjoy this vehicle and turned down a Toyota Highlander Limited for it. Had the opportunity to purchase an Outlander which is a very good vehicle, but am so glad that I chose the Endeavor.
  • Options
    I have had the opportunity to drive my Endeavor on a 95 degree day with the air on full blast and it performed flawlessly. The vehicle gave me 20 miles per gallon at 65-80 miles per hour over a 250 mile trip. Matched same mileage on trip home.

Am also very satisfied with Mitsubishi dealer service network. I had a slight tear in the back rubber door molding and dealer is replacing without any hassle. So far very satisfied with dealer service - Faulkner Mitsubishi, Phila., PA

Waiting for my wife to complain about my giving her Toyota Highlander. She keeps commenting that my Endeavor is appointed so much nicer and the Infinity sound system sounds so good.
  • Options
    shelby1shelby1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my Endeavor in Sept of 03 and since then I have had several issues. Overall I love the car but can anyone help me figure out these issues.
    1) When I shift from park or reverse to drive, it seems that the transmission take several seconds to kick into gear. If I hit the gas too early, I get a huge stutter.
    2) If my car is out in the sun for any amount of time, the front dashboard them begins to squeak when I drive or hit the breaks. So anytime that the car has a moment.
    3) Ever since I have bought the car, the front door windows also squeak with a type of plastic on plastic sound - almost like the window is rubbing on the weather-strip. Very annoying.

None of these are large issues but the dealer can't figure them out so I was hoping that someone else has experienced these and can help.
    Thanks
  • Options
    kodenamekodename Member Posts: 141
    Shelby , I brag up the fact that our Endeavor is Tomb-like inside.NO squeaks or rattles hot or cold. My hearing is great and those little sounds I find very annoying since I often drive without the radio cranked up. I have no answers. At the dealer I would ask to test drive one or two other Endeavors and see what they are like. What ever the conclusion, you'll have to let everyone know. Maybe it needs a spray of silicone or something, or maybe it's more involved than that. Bill C.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Mitsu trannies have always been very slow to engage when changing between p-r-n-d. My 93 Expo, 93 Diamante, 02 Lancer, and 03 Diamante have all had this slow reacting tranny. This is just how Mitsu trannies operate and not a problem per say. You just have to learn to feel for the shift into gear before hitting the gas in order to avoid any clunks or lunges. I agree it can be annoying, especially if you are in a hurry to shift from reverse to drive and a car is barrelling down on you.
  • Options
    ladybugladybug Member Posts: 1
    I currently own a LS and I've had it for only 13 months. I hadn't had any problems with my Endeavor up until 2 months ago. At that time I had to take it in due to the controls on the driver's door all of a sudden no longer working.....can't roll the windows up or down....can't lock or unlock the doors. That was due to a switch coming loose. Not such a big deal, but still questioning why switches are coming apart already. Just recently, 7/20 to be exact, I had to take the car back to the dealership because my A/C would no longer work. After keeping my car all day, they got it working again, but once I turned the car off, the A/C no longer worked again. Needless to say, my car has been sitting at the dealership for the past 8 hours on today, and they still have no clue as to what the problem is. To make matters worst, the technician tells me that he spoke to a technician out in California who said that they currently have over "200" Endeavors that are having the same problem and they don't know why. I once enjoyed and loved my Endeavor, but these are issues that happen when a car is paid off. The fact that the car is only a year old doesn't make matters any better. Needless to say, I don't think I'll ever purchase another Mitsubishi car again. This is my first and definitely my last. The only good thing about all of this is the warranty!
  • Options
    I have an Endeavor XLS that I purchased off of a return lease with 6,000 and now have 10,000. We take this vehicle back and forth from Philadelphia to New Hampshire and have no problems. I just turn on my iPod and enjoy the Infinity stereo. I have gone 60-80 miles and hour with the air conditioner on full blast and it performs wonderfully. Have your dealer check out your vehicle.

We have a Toyota Highlander with all options and wish that we could afford to get rid of it. I would definitely consider replacing in with an Endeavor. The Endeavor gives much better gas mileage then the Toyota. I use 87 or 89 octane switching off and get 20-22 city and 25-27 open road. This has been confirmed with a Bell electronics monitor.

Good luck with your air conditioner repair.
  • Options
    camlamarcacamlamarca Member Posts: 40
    I've got 17,300 miles, and the front left brake has hit the wear sensor. This is the fewest mile count I've ever had on front brakes for any vehicle.

I'm about to take the wheels off for closer inspection, but it appears the left is wearing much more than the right. However, there is no appearant drag, and I don't have ABS.

Now, I can personally replace the pads for $25, or should I take it in for possible warranty inspection and risk spending $250 under the "Normal Wear" clause?

At any rate, I am disappointed with how long the brakes are lasting.
  • Options
    camlamarcacamlamarca Member Posts: 40
    Both left and right inner pads were done. The outer pads were down by 2/3. There was no sensor on the right, just one on the left. The primary problem was the uneven wear on the inner pads. There are two pressure cylinders per calliper, and one pressure point was greater than the other. It appeared due to improperly sized shims. I'll stay tuned to Mitsubishi TSBs in the future.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    kfnstkfnst Member Posts: 1
    Stantonb1 - I am considering buying a 2004.5 Endeavor, but it does have a cassette player or an aux in outlet, How do you listen to your ipod?
  • Options
    bruceworkingbruceworking Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an Endeavor ls awd 2004.5. I thought the bumper to bumper warranty was for 5 years. But, the warranty brochure doesn't talk about anything but powertrain after the 3 year period. I'm going to talk to my dealer about it but did anybody receive any kind of information stating otherwise?
  • Options
    kstriegkstrieg Member Posts: 1
    We have a black 2004 XLS that we purchased last October. I will start by saying we are very meticulous about our vehicles. This vehicle is always garaged and always parked in the way way way back of any parking lot. We don't drive down gravel roads and we don't do much out of town travel. We just hit 10k miles. With that, here's the issue... a little over 2 months ago we got a rock chip on our front upper bumper (right over the Mitsubishi emblem) that peeled and spread to over 4 inches long and up to an inch thick in some places. We were completely shocked and luckily, so was our dealer and they took care of it under the warranty. Now, we have a new rock chip on the lower bumper the size of a pencil eraser head, also, the side view mirror has a same size "chip" in which the paint has peeled back a quarter inch but not chipped off yet, AND another chip on the passenger door (same size) that could be a door ding but there is no dent (if the paint is going to chip shouldn't there be a dent??).
    This has all happened over about 10 days since we last washed it. Needless to say we are shocked and angry. We have had many other cars and never experienced anything like this. I'm beginning to think they forgot the clear coat on this thing. Anybody else have any trouble like this?? Any discussion is appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Options
    To Kstrieg: My 04 Endeavor LS now has about 4K on the odometer. The car is washed weekly by hand and it gets cleaned and waxed about every two weeks. I know every paint chip and flaw on it. When puchased I found two paint defects and the dealer fixed them. Both were ruff spots in the metal that were unnoticed at the factory and missed during dealer pre delivery inspection. It was more a ruff unfinished spot in the metal that was painted over and both were on the sides down low and only visible if you bend way down to see it. Your chips sound like they on on plastic not metal body parts.On my 1999 mercedes we somehow picked up many small chips on the front lower panel below the bumper.One quickly spread and a section of paint peeled off about the size of your thumb. I din't feel it was a warranty issue, I just think chipped paint on plastic is much more likely to spread, plus it has wind blowing at the torn edge at 60 or more MPH while your driving.Paint seems to stick better to metal. MY experience has been a paint chip on plastic is much more likely to spread than one on a metal body part.If I get a chip or nick on the front and it's a plastic piece, I go over it lightly with some touch up paint and that seems to stop the spread issue. At least it has on the Mercedes.
      I don't know if this helps much, but that's my 2 cents worth.
  • Options
    paulaipaulai Member Posts: 2
    I have had to take my Endeavor in for service, once at 4,900 mi and now at 8,400 mi both times for loosing coolant...all coolant. At 4,900 they weren't quite sure but they refilled coolant & replaced the radiator cap. Although I am usually the only driver, when my husband & I would decide to take the Endeavor out together he insisted he smelled antifreeze. Me, paying no attention as I must have just been accustomed to the smell, I ignored him. Then 4,000 mi later I just took it back in with the EXACT same problem but am now told something, such as a rock, must have come up & hit my radiator as I have a hole in it. I NEVER recall hearing/seeing anything that I have ever run over. I am COMPLETELY floored. My ? to you...did you know something came up and damaged your radiator or was it a shock to you? I'm a bit leary as I am springing a leak about every 4,000 mi-one issue or another. Is anyone else out there having problems????? Is the radiator not protected enough????? If I have to pay to replace the radiator every 4000 mi at $500 a pop, I can't afford to keep the vehicle! As much as I would HATE to, I'd have to rid of the vehicle that in every other aspect I LOVE.
  • Options
    I recall reading somewhere of a simular problem early on when the endeavor fist came out.The radiator was not available yet or was on back order.Where is this leak located? I personally think that the large opening below the bumper does expose a large section of the radiator, but a lot of vehicles today are built that way.You need to inquire where your leak is located.We rented an endeavor before we bought one and that entire lower opening below the bumper was stuffed with hard packed snow from someone who drove into a snow bank too far. That area is vunerable,but not any more so than many others.
    Watch the temp. gauge and remember what anti freeze smells like. I think it's just a fluke, but at $500 a pop I understand your position. Be glad it's not a mercedes,there radiators are twice that.(personal experience)
  • Options
    ndendeavorndendeavor Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 04 Endeavor about a month ago with 10,000 miles on it. I absolutely love the vehicle. However, I have a concern about my gas mileage. I can't seem to get anything over 17 mpg on the highway--driving on interstate highways at 70-75. I was expecting between 20-22. Any thoughts or suggestions, or questions to ask the dealer next time I'm in for an oil change?
  • Options
    footzfootz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Endeavor and really like the car with one exception. Warm air is always coming out of the vents. With temp setting at minimum and the outside air cool, the air coming through the vents is warm. The dealer said this was normal for endeavors. Their recommended fix is use the A/C or keep the recirculating air feature on. Seems unusual to me that this problem can't be fixed. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    paulaipaulai Member Posts: 2
    You are not alone. This is one issue that I commented on a JD Powers survey I received re: my Endeavor. I too had to use the AC. Sorry I couldn't provide another remedy, but at least you know you're not alone.
  • Options
    tmstallmantmstallman Member Posts: 5
    at 70 to 80 mph. Expected a little better. I sure wish I had waited till now to buy Endeavor. I could have gotten another $1,000 to 2,000 knocked off ! But I still like my Endeavor ! Wouldn't part with it.
  • Options
    bcendeavorbcendeavor Member Posts: 5
    I also had been experiencing this, but I found a fix. When you don't want any warm air coming through the vents, switch the system to recirculate from fresh air. For some reason, that then prevents air from being forced out of the vents. That way you don't have to use the AC. Try it!
  • Options
    frankg1frankg1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2004 Endeavor with 12K miles. I got rid of a 2002 Chrysler Town & Country Mini-Van after the 4th recall and being in the shop for the 12th time...word to the wise DONT buy one. Anyway, I absolutely LOVE the vehicle so far, but I have some questions for other Mitsubishi owners:
    1. Power Steering: Makes a noticable humming noise when turn wheel and sometimes makes a noticable "knocking" noise more often in cold weather....anyone had similiar problem?
    2. I use Premium gas per the recommendation..would it be OK to use regular 89 octane unleaded...anyone have problems with regular unleaded and do you lose gas mileage??
    3. Muffler Paint peeling off...anyone with similiar problem...dealer is checking to fix under warranty.
    4. Noticed a small patch of paint on lower body near rear tire that seems very rough...worry about possible peeling...anyone else??
  • Options
    skier1skier1 Member Posts: 1
    Engaging in a little 20-20 hindsight but I'm curious as to when the 2004.5 Endeavor LS became available at dealerships this year. Purchased a 2004 rather than the midyear 2004.5 model which had some big upgrades. Anybody purchase a 2004.5 Endeavor LS back in May or June or earlier?
  • Options
    04170417 Member Posts: 1
    I too have an Endeavor Ls 2005 down here on Saint Maarten, but for a new car like this already have a similar noise like what you are experiencing (terible eh) power steering have the same effect to, I have to say though the car looks flashy, great interior, although the seats are hard to keep clean, over all I would give it an 8.

Oh, does anyone know if it's posible to wash the engine? I'm afraid to wet inside the hood, someone please let me know of the best way to keep my motor clean or if I can power wash it.
  • Options
    ensignbensignb Member Posts: 1
    The best gas mileage I've EVER had on my 2004 Endeavor (had it for 14 months) is 19.2! That was on all highway driving at around 60 mph most of the way. Around town, I only get about 15! Anyone had any success with a dealer about this type of issue?

Thanks!
  • Options
    meangreen1meangreen1 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my '04 Endeavor for about 5 weeks. It was a program car with about 14K miles. I have been getting 17-18mpg around town and mid-20s on the highway. We went to Colorado at Christmas and got 28mpg on one of the tankfuls.
  • Options
    meangreen1meangreen1 Member Posts: 2
    By the way, I use only regular (87) unleaded. Actually, in CO, they sell 85 and we used that.
  • Options
    mm2328mm2328 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Steve,

I'm new to the discussion area. Thought I would start with you since you are the host and your longer warranty coming got me interested in writing. I am looking for a new SUV, currently driving a 01 Pathfinder and I love it. Loyal to the Nissan brand but don't like any of the new model SUV's they are to BIG. Not interested in a sedan any longer. I have narrowed it down to 2 SUV's Honda Pilot, Mitsu endeavor. Considering all the problems that Mitsu Corp has had and the considerable amount of debt 9 billion. What makes the Endeavor stand out, what makes it better than the rest. I certianly don't want to spend my hard earned cash on a car that will be nothing but problems or a put it into a company that might not ever see the black again.

Thanks for any input. There are to many choices and it gets very confusing.
  • Options
    mm2328mm2328 Member Posts: 3
    18.5 isn't very good. Do you have the AWD model? Also the specs call for premium only have you noticed any sluggishness?
  • Options
    auroraboyauroraboy Member Posts: 11
    Just purchased a used 2004 Endeavor Limited. Due to it's substantial 1st year depreciation versus a Pilot, CRV, Highlander etc. I felt this gave me the most bang for the $$. Reliability reports seem good. My main concerns are the gas mileage and premium gas use that I am well aware of, as well as a general lack of Mitsu dealers for service (live in Toronto, Ont. area)

My question was around the cargo liner. Mitsu website shows two options - one is refered to as

a "Soft Cargo Liner - $122 CND" and the other is called a "Cargo Tray - $100CND. Does anyone have either one of these? Unfortunately WeatherTech does not sell a customer cargo tray for the Endeavor. They only sell a generic cut to fit SUV tray, otherwise I would buy a WeatherTech liner.

I am looking for something to cover the cargo area and provide some protection, as well as prevent things from sliding around on the carpet.

Thanks
  • Options
    rddrdd Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2004 AWD with 29,000 miles on it from the Mitsubishi dealer and the car makes an annoying whining/squealing noise from the right front side at speeds over 30mph. It does not

stop when I step on the brakes and only goes away when the speed drops to below 20mph. I only have had the car three days. The dealer service center just told me that Mitsubishi says its a known issue with the AWD after it has some milage on it and Mitsubishi just puts it down to "drive line noise" and says its normal and no fix is available. Has any one else heard of this? I am debating if I should push the dealer to take back the vehical and exchange it for a 2wd they have available or refund it entirely.
  • Options
    Will they tell you what exactly is making this sound? If it's really annoying, I'd press for an answer,then go direct to a Mitsu rep and have them tell you what they are willing to do or not do. Then with almost 30k on it, it would be interesting to know what it would cost out of your pocket to make the the noise go away. My Endeavor has 10K on it, it's AWD, and it's had no such problem. Just a thought, but has this Endeavor been in any kind of collision prior to your purchase? Can you contact the previous owner? 29K in one year...this Endeavor didn't spend much time parked.
  • Options
    Well after speaking with the dealer I swapped the '04 AWD with 29K miles for an '04 2WD with 18K miles on it. I could not get a firm answer as to what the problem was however the service center told me that Mit was aware of the problem. I love the ride and handling of the Endeavor so I am happy with the trade. Just a little sad the I could not get the problem resolved on the AWD.
  • Options
    I came across a web site (www.mitsubishisucks.com) that some of you may want to check out. The person who set this site up definatly has a ax to grind as they go back to World War Two to help make their anti-mitsubishi point.Some of it seems pointless , BUT there is posted a lot of bulliten information reguading current Mitsu products and reported consumer complaints. Bill C.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No Nikon give-away rumors though.

"Mitsubishi Motors Corp. is drawing up a restructuring plan that will involve a cash injection and alliances with other automakers, including Nissan and Peugeot."

link

Steve, Host
  • Options
    alronalron Member Posts: 13
    I'm having the same problem with my wife's Endeavor but this seems to be common in today's vehicles. I drive an Infiniti G35 and the problem is worse than in the Endeavor
  • Options
    arthur1arthur1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello...I had that same noise and at the same speeds. I took my Endeavor to the dealership I bought it from. The problem is the drive shaft.

The mechanic who has always taken good care of me rode and heard the sound and then put it up on the rack and told me exactly where it was. Glad it was still under warranty. He fixed the problem and no more noise. I will say that I talked to the manager of the service dept. who is driving an endeavor. When I first called, he told me it was probably coming from the dash and not a problem. The noise got worse and had to bring it in. So, go to the dealership and let them know it's the drive shaft on the AWD. They will have to replace the whole thing.
  • Options
    wasupduwasupdu Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a used Endeavor XLS and there is no manual to be found. Is there one aviailable online for download?

I don't know how to change the date on the LCD display. Can someone please help me out? This is a really stupid problem to have and I can't figure it out.

Thanks
  • Options
    hellcat51hellcat51 Member Posts: 30
    I have had my 2004 AWD Endeavor since 1/7/05 and I have yet to break 15.8 mpg using 91 octane fuel. No jackrabbit starts, etc. Is there a break in period before mileage increases? I've heard that 'winter' fuel has additives that cut down on mileage also (I live in upstate NY). Any truth to that? I knew the mileage was not high going into the deal so I'm ok with that. Just looking for some pointers I guess. Otherwise, this is hands down the best auto I've ever had. Sticker was $33,000 and I picked it up for $25,000 brand new with a total of $8,000 in discounts. First time ever with leather seats AND 'bun warmers'. This auto beats the heck out of my previous one - a 2002 Ford Escape which also cost me $25,000! No comparison at all. Nick.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You don't mention how many miles you have on your Endeavor, but in general, it will take about 5k miles before you start to see your gas mileage improve. It is true that winter gas lowers mileage (by about 1-3 mpg, depending on the car) as well as the longer time your engine spends in the warm up phase. If its real slippery out, your mileage will also go down the more your all wheel drive engages. Taking all this into account, your mileage doesn't sound too terrible. I would let your engine break in some more and wait till late spring before getting worried about bad gas mileage.
  • Options
    hellcat51hellcat51 Member Posts: 30
    I bought it brand new on 1/7/05 with 100 miles on it. I currently have about 900 miles on it. Thanks for the great information.
  • Options
    leongsleongs Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2004.5 AWD Limited in 9/12/04. Mostly highway and daily drive (12,000 mileage) and got average 19.5mpg. I put the K & N air filter (oiled)recently and the last 2 tanks got 21.5 mpg. The driving style and conditions are the same and it has gpm improved.
  • Options
    wasupdu: I've seen owners manuals for the endeavor frenquintly show up for sale on ebay.Just search: mitsubishi endeavor. I didn't like the whip antenna that came standard on the endeavor, so I replacd it with a much shorter,thicker one that is euro style. I found it on ebay as well. Bill C.
  • Options
    teddy_gteddy_g Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my endeavor about 2 months ago with 19,000 miles on it. It's the XLS AWD edition, and I recently had the same problem with the drive line. I heard it above 30 mph but below 25 nothing. I took it to the dealership and they replaced the drive line for me. Now two weeks later the noise is back! I saw somebody posted they contacted mitsubishi. If you could give me comments on how went on about that I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    1952jd601952jd60 Member Posts: 2
    The Endeavor has 141 miles on it, and it is already on its way back to the shop on a roll back. Gear Oil is leaking pretty heavy from the rear end. Has anybody else had this problem with their SUV? Thanks
  • Options
    medicmikemedicmike Member Posts: 1
    hey auroraboy, nice to see another endeavor in the newmarket/aurora area. i bought the cargo tray and the nylon straps for the tie downs in the cargo area. i love the set up. the cargo tray has small cut outs for the cargo hooks. the cargo tray will save your cargo area from wear and tears. just wondering where you have been taking your vehicle for service. i have been going to markham dealership and have been satisfied so far. thanks mike
  • Options
    auroraboyauroraboy Member Posts: 11
    I have not actually taken the vehicle in for service since I bought it. I will likely take it to Markham Mitsu also. I picked up a tonneau cover there.
  • Options
    1952jd601952jd60 Member Posts: 2
    Ricart Ford delivered the Endeveavor back to us, the problem is fixed. They put a new rear end in our Endeveavor, no leaks so far. Hopefully just a freak problem, that won't happen again.
  • Options
    stormkingstormking Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I need to remove the passenger door panel to get to the bolts for the side view mirror. Does anybody have instructions for how to do this? My quick inspection left me mystified.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Anyone know how this thing is installed? I understand this is an available option for my vehical and I see them for sale for $25 online. I have heard it goes under the glovebox somehow. What I would like to know is how is it installed? I looked under the glove box and cannot see any easily accessable place for it to go. Does it require unbolting the fan shroud assy?