Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    NICE!

I saw those pics on Gill's site. Good job figuring out how to post 'em here.

Hey, did the dealer have those pinstripes put on there, or did it actually come from the factory like that? I've never seen any others with the pinstriping.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    She actually came to my dealer through a trade with another dealer. They had never seen the pinstripes either and said they would take them off if I wanted too. Since I had never seen any others with it either I decided to leave them on.

Tony
    I have seen dealers have some local guy come around to their lots and pinstripe some of their vehicles. I'll bet that's what happened at the other dealer.

I didn't think they came from the factory with pinstriping. At least I had never seen one with pinstriping, that is.

Once again, SWEET JEEP! I can't believe you got a Rubi! Yeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwww!!!!!

Tom

A guy in an XJ that was wheelin' with us in our group last Saturday apparently broke a tooth on his ring or pinion gear in his front differential. Well, it might have just been his spider gears? His front tires were in the air spinning, and then the Jeep came down all at once. He heard something go "bang" when his front tires caught traction all at once.

The effect of this was that his left front tire would lock up and skid when he tried to go forwards. He could back up a little ways, which would free something up in the differential, and then he could go forwards a short distance before the tire would lock up again.

He disconnected and removed his front drive shaft to prevent damage back in the transfer case, but he still had the locked up tire, since the gears still turn when the front wheels turn. Same thing on a TJ... even in two wheel drive, the gears in the front differential are turning. The front drive disengages at the transfer case, but the front drive shaft and the gears in the front diff still turn. (This is not the case with YJ's, I understand.)

When in two wheel drive, the tires make the gears turn, but when in four wheel drive, the gears make the tires turn, if you know what I mean.

A guy could get lockout hubs, if he wanted to keep the front gears and driveshaft from turning all the time.

Anyway, this guy with the XJ had to pull his left front axle to allow his left front tire to turn. It was quite a job to perform on the trail... not too complicated, but the bolts that held the hub to the knuckle were very rusted, and he had a heck of a time getting them backed out. Once they were out, the hub was pretty tough to get out of the knuckle too. We were very fortunate that another guy in our group had a 36 MM socket for the axle nut. I just bought me one of those puppies today! I don't know what we would have done if that other guy hadn't had one.

It was cold, and there was some freezing rain and some snow coming down during the repair. It was also getting close to dark.

The job was completed, and my bud made it home just fine.

Tom

• 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    If you're in central Washington state, do you ever get over to the Gifford-Pinchot Nat'l Forest around Mt. Adams? Or, will you?

I'm in Vancouver, WA and use the Mt. Adams area as my primary stompin' ground. Once the snow is gone, we should meet up. Maybe even get Stephen in Seattle to join us. I'm also up to heading your direction too. Used to do some wheelin' up around Blewett Pass and Liberty (fun area) back when I was in Ellensburg every weekend.

Have fun with that new Rubi!

-Pete
  • 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Reading your mods, sounds cool! I too have an '02 X. Did you do the D35 to D44 swap yourself or have a shop do it? How much did that cost?

I'm running 33" BFG MT's (only 10.5 wide) and still stuck with the stock 3.07 gears. How do you like the 4.56 with your 33's? That's the next big mod I would like to do.

Also, when my current MT's wear out I'm thinking of getting new wheels and some 12.5" wide 33's. What backspacing are your wheels? Do they rub on the sway bar when turning?

Have you done a sway bar disconnect? I'm using JKS quick disco's and they are great! But it's easy to rub the front tires when running disconnected. Once I get new wheels with a different backspace that should cut down how much rubbing happens.

-Pete
  • colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    Mt Adams is a fun time. Another great area is just south of Mt. Ranier. Take the forest rd from Packwood to Longmire. Lots of back roads and abandoned forest roads to scare the hell out of your wife. :-) I'll post some pics of the new Rubi tomorrow.

Its funny, after driving the Rubi on a long hall, the wifes liberty feels like driving a Lexus so we have now knick-named it that.
  • nolid5nolid5 Member Posts: 148
    Nice looking ride! I like the pinstriping too. Definitely give her a unique look. Hope you have lots of fun with her.

Rich
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Sure like Amy, and the pinstripes. I had thought about doing some pinstriping on my Noble Black Steed when I first got him. Since I'm not creative that way, I didn't do anything about it.

Tom - that trail repair gives a person pause when you think about going off-road. It sure helps to be with someone else, especially someone who knows what they are doing. If it had been me, I would have been totally clueless.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hope everyone is having a nice holiday season.
    Today hasnt been so good for me.
     My dog(Bear) was run over today & killed. I was just getting attached to that pup. Been a rough day for my 2 kids. Its amazing how attached you get to a pet. I stil have 1 dog (Nikki) a husky.
     Tom Go pet RA for me ;)

Tom, Ive signed back on at Gill's site. Hope to make it back to do some chatting with you guys.

Merry Christmas.
     BamaTazz
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    That's tough man, for you as well as your kids. I speak from experience. Consider this a virtual arm around your shoulder.
    Man, I am so sorry about Bear. I just don't even know what to say, Terry. You know how much I love doggies.

I will definitely pet RA for ya. Good Lord, what am I gonna do when I have to say goodbye to him??? It will be the toughest thing I will have ever been through.

Sure do hate it that this has happened, Terry. Tell Michelle and the kids that I am thinking about them.

Tom
  • drosketerdrosketer Member Posts: 203
    Bamatazz. You and your family have my sympathies. It's never easy to lose a family pet, and this is a rotten time in particular.

Tony, that's a sweet looking ride! Still waiting on this side of the border... So, when is Amy going to get down and dirty? ;-)

I have finally had some interest shown in the t-bird. About 4 people have called over the past week (I dropped the price by a good chunk), but am having some serious doubts about it selling. Ah well, you never know... I could still be pleasantly surprised!

Hope everyone is enjoying a great holiday season,
    Andrew
    Thanx Jeep Buds, I appreciate your kind words.
    Glad to know We can talk about other topics.

Tony, That JEEP looks Great! I like the pinstripes to, gives it a "one of a kind" look.

KEEP JEEPIN
    BT
    So, where is that Rubi? Have you been tracing the shipment? Fill us in!

Tom

I am so sorry to hear about your pup. There is something about a dog that leaves such a big hole in your life when they go. Give Nikki lots of extra attention - dogs miss their roommates too (and it is comforting to hug another dog). You hang in there!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You have my sympathies too - it's not easy parting with a friend!

tidester, host
  • chasingericachasingerica Member Posts: 102
    Bama sorry to hear about your pup. That's a horrible thing to have happen.

For everyone else. Thanks for all of the compliments on Amy. She had her first ride on the big bad highway tonight. Had to drive into the city for work. It's been a while since I've been out on a highway in a jeep and I was surprised at just how smooth she was.

Andrew, it's going to be a little while till she gets to go get dirty. It's been in the 30's here for a few weeks so everything is frozen, and it's damn cold to camp out this time of year. I work with a bunch of jeepers (yeah that helps :) One guy wants to get us all together for a weekend of wheeling and camping. Sounds like a good time.

Well it's 4:30 in the morning so I'll talk to everyone later :)

Bama, hang in there man.

Tony
    I decided not to bother with the tracking... if I don't know when she'll come in, I can't be disappointed with the outcome. ;-)

I'm just hoping it's sooner than later - would make for a great way to start the new year!

Andrew
    I can't believe it! Man, I would be tracking that baby about ten times a day! Thelma Jane didn't come by rail, since I live within about 8 hrs. of Toledo, or else I would have been doing that.

How can you NOT track that Jeep? Heck, give me the info, and I will track it! :)

Tom

Now this, ladies and gentlemen, is a true Jeep enthusiast! Tom, you may just have convinced me to maybe actually get the information and start tracking it (or trying to)...

Andrew
    ...Andrew, Chrysler should hire TOM as thier spokesman. HE could talk a blind man in to buying a jeep. I know he helped me ALOT in my decision. After all he IS our President ;) or was that Mayor? I got it KING! lol ;)
     Did anyone get the mailing of test driving a new jeep? If you do u get a $50.00 gift Certificate. Think im going go tomorrow ;), and test drive a RUBI, I saw a black one today.

JEEP JEEPIN & MERRY CHRISTMAS
      HO HO HO HO
    BamaTazz
    I wish they would send me one of those things - I'd be more than happy to test a Rubi. Of course, I've already done it once. Now if they'll just send one of those out when the new extended Wrangler comes out I could get the gift certificate doing something I'd want to do anyway.
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I don't always look at a computer screen on the weekends.
     I had a local shop do the D35/D44 swap and set up my gears and lockers at the same time. If I hadn't been changing those things, I would have done the housing swap myself. It is pretty straight forward.
     My Jeep came with 307 gears too, and when I was running 31" tires it was a joke. It wouldn't pull a fly off of a toilet seat. GUTLESS !! What a difference the 456's made! I love them. They are low enough that I can run 35" tires if I want.
     I think my wheels have 3.75" of back space and I haven't had any problem with rubbing, even in Moab rock crawling.(can't wait for this years Easter Jeep Safarie)
     My tera lift came with quick discos. They have been fine. No problems with them or the lift.
     If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

dewars
    Just found out from the powers at Edmunds that Jeep, even though they rank high in the post numbers are actually 18th as far as traffic. This is the reason why it isn't on the home page.

Anybody see this picture. Basically the same thing as the Wrangler Unlimited courtesy of www.aev-conversions.com

Speaking of Khaki, here is the new Rubi. In our area there has been a revolution of sorts. In the last year, we have sold 15 Wranglers (great for a town of 6,000 people). That's up 300% from years past.

I guess that people are realizing that this is such a multi-tasking rig. It is the only convertible in the country where you can take your significant other, luggage, dog and still climb anything!

• lebowskilebowski Member Posts: 4
    Hi

Any tips/advice on caring for the softtop? Any type of protectant recommended? Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!
    I believe Twylie had made a good suggestion here.

Andrew
    but it ain't ours yet. Brought it home for the wife to see, but she is out running errands or something.

I will have to refinance the payoff on Thelma Jane, so that I don't have a whole new payment on top of the Jeep payment. Won't have her paid off in two years this way, but how can I pass up these incentives????

There's a $4000 incentive on the Impalas, and GM is offering to add enough to my earned credit card rebate to make it an even $2000 (have actually accumulated $1330.71 at this time).

The dealer is offering this car at invoice, minus the $4000 rebate, minus my $2000 credit card rebate!!!!!!!

The sticker is $27,750, and I can buy it for $19,784.95 plus tax and license and the dealer fee of $229.

How can I pass this up?????

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep and your Impala today?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    and wait for the Wrangler Unlimited. :)

-Paul

You also have the new Cadillac CTS and STS's. :)
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    on an 04 Sport, what is the TRUE and OFFICIAL word on first oil changes? the dealer says not to bring it in until 6k miles. it has about 3700 on it now.

what should be done at 6k miles? i am assuming that Jeep puts a decent oil in the engine since they want me to wait until 6k for first service. i drive in severe conditions.

if it needs to get done, and they won't do it, what should i get done? just oil/filter change? or anything else just yet? i know it sounds awful, but i always let the dealer just take care of my service on new vehicles.

thanks for the advice!
  • ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    I am in the same boat as you were once in. I have a 03 x with 3.07 gears and I am currently running 31 in tires with a 2" lift. I am going to regear to either 4.10s or 4.56s, but trying to decide between the two. At some point I will probably go to 33in tires but not for some time. Did you ever run your jeep with 4.56 gears with 31in tires on the highway. I do some amount of highway driving and I don't want to go down the highway doing 70 and pulling 4K rpms, although the 4.56 gears around town are probably a blast. I also plan to keep my dana 30 and 35 axle and I am concerned that if I run 4.56s it could lead to disaster. So I am torn between 4.10s and 4.56. Any feedback you or anyone else could give would be much appreciated-scott
    I have not a clue why the dealer would tell you to wait until you have 6K miles on your Jeep before getting the oil changed!

Lots of folks change oil the first time at about 1K miles to get rid of any debris from wear-in of the moving parts in the engine.

I would go IMMEDIATELY and have the oil changed somewhere. If you don't do it yourself, then go somewhere where you can stand and personally watch the work being done, so that you are sure that you are getting proper service. I have heard horror stories about those quick lube places. They don't get the filter tight, or the oil pan plug gets cross-threaded, or they forget to fill the crankcase back up with oil after draining it and changing the filter, etc.

You say you drive in extreme conditions. Well, if you read the official definition of extreme conditions, almost all of us would fall into that category. You sure don't want to go 6K miles between changes. Even though I use synthetic oil, I still have it changed every 3K to 4K miles, but I go off road a lot.

Tom

I got so mad at a dealership's service writer one time. In '98 there were 2 maintenance schedules in the maintenance manual. I (like you are) followed the intervals called out by the severe service schedule. One service writer kept saying I didn't need to have the air filter checked until later, etc. and that he had the schedule (light duty one) in front of him. I tried to explain I was following the other schedule and he arrogantly said that HE had the right information and wouldn't let me get my book out. Needless to say, I never went back to that dealership.

I don't remember all that was specified at 6,000 miles other than checking the air filter and oil/filter change. Since most of my 6,000 miles were on dirt roads that was an important issue for me.

I personally change my oil every 3,000 miles (use dino oil - might go longer if I were using synthetic) and haven't had any engine problems yet.
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I've been wanting to go off-road with some folks for a while now. Now that I'm less anal about my Jeep being dirty or nicked, I'm all ready for it. I'd love to meet up with you and Colorado1974 and explore some trails. I went over Hwy2 to Leavenworth on Saturday for the tree lighting ceremony. It definitely put me in the X-mas spirit. The pass was wet but no snow on the roadway much to my disappointment, however the back streets through Leavenworth had some snow and slush to play in. :-)

Stephen
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i figured as much. i HATE dealers. they always want your money every 3k miles, unless they are busy or don't want to be bothered, then of course all of the sudden no service is needed.

i just wanted to make sure that Jeep didn't use any special type of engine/drivetrain oils that SHOULD NOT be changed until 6k.

thanks!
  • dewarsdewars Member Posts: 58
    Yes I ran my 31's for a short time with the 456's. It's not something I would want to do for very long. Especially on the freeway. 456's work well with 33" or 35" tires. 410's will be good with 31" to 33" tires.
      As far as running your D-35 with big tires goes, driving on the street probably wouldn't be much of a problem. It's when you get off road in tough spots that they usually break.
      In the end, it's your call. It depends on where you drive, how much is off road vrs highway and which size tires you are going to run.
      One of the reasons I went with 456 was because of the mountains we have out here and the fact that I want to get a small trailer for my camping gear.
      Right now I am taching about 2500 in fifth gear @ 70 MPH. I expect them to drop to about 2300 @ 70 when I put on the 35's

Good luck on your decision,

dewars
    Don't assume the dealer knows more than you do. Study your Owners Manual for all your routine service information, and follow the 'B' (or extreme duty) schedule.
    In my case, I would have been happy to give him his money every 3,000 miles, but he didn't want it! There are good service departments out there if you look for them, but I moved and found a (relatively) local mechanic who is very good (and seems to be honest).
    Aside from the schedules that come in the factory manual, is there anything that us new jeepers should consider? For example Tom mentioned getting the oil changed after about 1000 miles. Would that be just a regular oil change, or are you thinking other components (diffs, etc) as well?

Is there a good write-up available of what we should look at (and when)? I couldn't find anything too comprehensive in the thread, but may have missed something.

Thanks,
    Andrew
    You should have been on Steven's Pass last weekend. There was 14" of fresh powder and the boarding was incredible. It was the first time I have boarded there with knee deep powder all over the place. At the end of the day I came back to find over a foot of snow all over in the parking lot.

For fun I pulled a bunch of sedans and even a ford f350 superduty.
    Everybody has a different idea on the break in period. My in-laws bought a new SLK and the Mercedes dealer informed them that the car would tell them when it was to be serviced. Well, the light finally came on at 17,800 miles. When they asked the Mercedes service manager he told them it was to allow proper time to seat in the piston rings. Every other oil change since as come at around 5,000 miles.
    To save me some typing, check #10448.
    OK OK Tom I better not catch you over on the Impala board taliking to those folk about taking it to TB with Thelma.
     I gotta know whats your wife gonna name her new steed? LOL.
      Speaking of oil changes taking Tazz tomorrow to get his oil changed. I take mine to a express oil change now, since my local JEEP dealership went under.
     This guys do a good job. I always check to make sure they got everything back on right.
     one time they left their screwdriver under the hood, so I guess I came out ahead on that one.
      Gave TAZZ a good bath today. BRR got cold out there;)

MERRY CHRISTMAS
       BAMATAZZ

Didnt get to go test drive the RUBI today.
    Maybe after Chrstmas.
    Mac, thanks... I thought I had seen it here somewhere before. I've bookmarked the post.

Okay, went and bothered my local dealer a little more today. Got the rail car# and used the tracker that's linked to from Twylie's site. My baby is in KZM (first rail departure) status, and tracking that rail car told me the following:

L/E: Load
    Billed: Yes
    Event: Interchange Delivered
    Road: CPRS
    Date/Time: 12/12/03 09:06
    Destination: Windsor, ON

Not sure if it's all working correctly (perhaps I'm not getting what all this means exactly) as ship date (according to the dealer) was 12/15... do they recycle the Equipment IDs? If so then this might be something old.

Andrew
    Andrew, the tracking just tells ya where that particular rail car has been and where it is now. You should have more recent info on that car than 12/12! Wonder what's up?

It was apparently on its way to Ontario from Bensenville, IL, on the 12th.

Try to get more recent info on that car.

Tom

• ponmponm Member Posts: 139
    Thanks for the info, I was probably going to go with the 4.10s. Everyone have a happy holiday!-scott
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    It might be worth trying to pin him down on exactly what "their cost" is. I woudl expect that a dealer incurs some cost to have a vehicle transferred from another dealer. This fee may offset some of the "deal" they are offering you.

Are they willing to order one at $500 under? If so, this may be your best bet. The extra time waiting would hurt, but you could get it exactly right with nothing extra nor missing.

As far as differences between the Sahara and Sport, I think you're smart to open your options up. I think the only things you can't get on a sport would be the different seat fabric (although Sahara seats used to have a cool map pocket built into the rear of them), and the color keyed flare/side sills. The Sahara flares are also 0.75" wider than Sport flares.

Are you locked in on your required/preferred options list? Also color choices in order of preference. It may help the dealer to find suitable Wranglers for you. Give them a list of required options, things that you want but could live without, and things that you do not want. This list, with color preference and any colors you do not want might give them something better to work with searching the network.

Good luck and I hope they can find you a Jeep soon!

-twylie
    Ordering from the factory is a pretty cool way to go, if you can stand the wait. You know you'll be getting exactly what you want that way.

My salesman told me when I bought Thelma Jane that Jeep Wrangler customers place factory orders much more often than do people buying other types of vehicles. It seems that Wrangler buyers are more particular about options and color than are the buyers of other vehicles.

I think you are doing the right thing by not settling for a Jeep that does not meet your desires. Why spent that much money and still not have exactly what you want?

Advantages of ordering:

1. Get exactly what you want down to the smallest detail

2. The waiting, which is very frustrating, is also actually fun. Hard to explain what I mean, but, while it's torture, it also gives you something pleasant to be thinking about.

3. The Jeep will be YOURS from the "day it's born." No one will be test driving it at some dealership somewhere.

4. It will have your name on the window sticker.

5. It will give you a few weeks to save some more money to put down or to help with payments.

6. You will have made your deal, so, if there is a trade in involved, you will be driving that trade-in vehicle for "free," as far as depreciation is concerned.

7. You can spec out the exact same Jeep at different dealers, and it is very easy to compare deals that way, since it will be exactly the same Jeep that you are pricing at each dealership.

Good luck whichever way you go. Hope you get the Jeep that's perfect for you at a super good price. Keep us posted.

Tom

I've been very happy with my Sport. Back in '98 I far preferred the fabric on the Sport over the Sahara's. They've changed it so the Sahara isn't as bad, but I still don't think it is worth it. Also, I didn't want the locking box in the back which all the Saharas seem to have (one of my primary uses for my Noble Black Steed was dog hauler to/from trailheads and the box would be in the way).

I ended up buying more options than were on my list of things to have because the one they had that had the other options I wanted had them. A couple of these extra options have become essential for me (fog lights used to be an option and until I moved to the mountains, I didn't care about them at all). I don't regret going that route at all, even though it cost more than I had planned on spending.

Good luck with the shopping!

P.S. - gman - did you feel the shaking? I didn't, though several of my co-workers did.