Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Honda Odyssey Discussion

Comments

• queenv1queenv1 Member Posts: 53
    I don't think Bernardi would help me save much money here in Canada with shipping and duty costs.

QV
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    As the owner of a Lexus I checked out the Sienna and of course you have to look at the Odyssey. After a few test drives and research it was clear the one for me was the Honda. Better road feel, better interior, better handling, more high tech features. I'm looking at keeping the vehicle for at least 6-10 years so the price difference isn't that big a deal to me. I bought the EX-L and I'm happy with my purchase, love the 8inch backup camera in the middle of the dash, the built in XM, 2gb CDL, and USB. I can put all my cd's on the USB drive and plug it in to the radio and never have to change it.

One thing I couldn't believe was the simple things Toyota could have done to improve the interior. In prior Sienna models they were like a Lexus on the inside,but not anymore.
  • jblake25jblake25 Member Posts: 1
    We have found a big problem with our 2011 Odyssey. The tailgate opens TOO far, and hits the garage door when it is up. We have a standard garage door opening, and our house is just a few years old. Honda has said that they increased the open height of the tailgate, while maintaining the ability to open the gate while parked inside. This is our 3rd minivan, and second Odyssey, and we've never had this problem. Was this an oversight by Honda? Any word of a recall to install struts that have shorter travel?
  • dodgehappydodgehappy Member Posts: 118
    Picked up our new 2011 Odyssey EX yesterday and as soon as I hit the highway the engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer a couple hours later and they said it was throwing a weird code so they looked around and a sensor connector was a little loose so they tightened it up. Problem solved!
    Phew! Good thing it wasn't something major. Are you in the US? What final price did you pay when all was said and done? Did you get a roof rack put on? Of course I mistook a roof rack for roof rails and was wondering where the rack was because I thought the specs said rack. They enlightened me with the difference.

Victoria in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Yes, I was very worried it could be something bad so was happy it was a minor thing causing the engine light to come on! We are in the US, Ohio to be exact. Selling price for the vehicle before dealer installed options I picked was $29803 (before tax fees etc). We added splash guards, side molding and the roof rails- we did not add the cross bars since we just wanted the "look" and not the actual functionality. The three options installed added about $600 to the above price, but we are happy we added all three.
    Wow.! That's awesome. Over here I paid 32,961 Canadian before anything else. Also over here you just don't add the splash guards. They already have them on the vehicle and expect you to buy them. You could say no and have them taken off of course but finding matching ones elsewhere isn't worth the trouble I think. We also get charged for a block heater which is needed here. Did you have the good tires on yours or the cheapy ones/ I have the cheapy ones that are only good for about 30,000 km. I wanted them upgraded but they wouldn't do it. Then they also charged me for a tank of gas. I'm waiting for the final bill of sale that tells me exactly how much they charged me for gas. Since it is an 80 litre tank it will cost about $80 to fill it. We'll see when I pick it up tomorrow or Friday. In Canada a roof rail means the grooves in the roof. A rack is the 2 long bars. I remember in 1995 paying $500 ish for my roof rack. I would have saved a substantial amount of money had I bought the Odyssey in the US but the risk is losing the warranty and other weird things when you attempt to import a vehicle. Well enjoy your EX. I plan on enjoying mine.

Victoria
  • clermontflclermontfl Member Posts: 108
    HOLDBACK IS PROFIT...

LISTEN UP ODYSSEY MINI-VAN BUYERS..

If the dealer buys a van for $30,000 at Invoice, and they sell it to you at a invoice price of $30K, they still made a profit on you. Dealers get a holdback of 2-3% on the price of the mini-van. So Honda manufacturer sends them a check for $900 at 3%. So yes--holdback is profit. They have room to move on the price. Use this information to your advantage when Negotiating with the sneakies....out there...
    Yep, the new continental tires are on our van too. We only put about 20,000 miles on a van over three year lease so I hope/plan for the tires to last at least that long or I am not going to be happy! I sure wish you didn’t have to get the top of the line to get Michelin tires standard these days. Heres to good times in our new vans! :)
    Now you tell me. That info would have been handy a few days ago. Does this apply on both sides of the border?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Yes - holdback is available on both side of the border.

But most dealers are loathe to dip into it. That holdback is typically used to cover their financing costs on their inventory.
  • tonsgeorgiatonsgeorgia Member Posts: 5
    Bought a demo 2010 EX-L with RES and NAV for $31,800 (this price included doc fees, destination fees). This does not include tax, tag, title. No trade in. According to USAA/zag, this price is $1700 below dealer cost and a few thousand more under invoice. Car had 6K miles but was never titled. Really wanted a plain EX-L but could no longer find one as Southeast dealers seem to have just Tourings or EX's left. Probably you can do even better depending on how many 2010's are left on lots.
    Interesting point about their financing costs. I wanted to buy my vehicle entirely on my credit cards so that I could take advantage of all my airmiles. They said the max they would put on my card was $2500 and anything over that I would have to pay a 2% fee. So even though this holdback would have covered the cost of my request they didn't dare dip into it.
  • rebeldukerebelduke Member Posts: 13
    The Honda hold-back is 2% according to Edmunds.
    They said the max they would put on my card was $2500 and anything over that I would have to pay a 2% fee.

Technically, they couldn't charge you a 2% fee for using the card as that is prohibited in their merchant agreement with their processor. More than likely, their merchant agreement prohibits them from processing an entire vehicle purchase - I know that my agreement does and we aren't even in the business.
  • co_copco_cop Member Posts: 17
    I've used two credit cards to buy my prior van back in '08, a 2008 EX-L RES with two credit cards and financing. 3500 on one, 4500 on another. I paid for half of their fee to their processor, and had no problems then.
    Also, while doing my research, I read many times that the hold back was 3% of the MSRP and not 2%. My 2 cents.
    edited October 2010
    Blake,

Do what I did, buy about 4 of those POOL NOODLES, cut them in half and slip them over the cross bars (hurricane bars) toward the bottom of your garage door, hold them in place with zip ties. It's working great with no problems. The POOL NOODLES will absorb not hitting the metal portion of your garage door.

The only thing though, you have to open the rear tail gate Manually, because if you use the remote opener on your Key Fob, the door will be in electronic mode, and as soon as it senses resistance it'll close back down....good luck...!!! ;)
    What percentage was half of their processing fee?
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I have a 20 year old house, I back in and have no problems with the door height on the 2011.
  • co_copco_cop Member Posts: 17
    It was something like 150 bucks for both transactions or 1%.
    Yeah, the older homes have better and roomier garages, compared to todays cheaply built homes, they also have bigger backyards. These big back yards come in handy when you are trying to bury the dead animals. :blush:
    I've used two credit cards to buy my prior van back in '08, a 2008 EX-L RES with two credit cards and financing. 3500 on one, 4500 on another. I paid for half of their fee to their processor, and had no problems then.

The key is that they didn't let you charge the entire car - merchant agreements tend to prohibit that. As for charging you the fee, again - it's prhobited in standard merchant agreements. Maybe car dealers are exempted.

I read many times that the hold back was 3% of the MSRP and not 2%.

Depends on the brand - IIRC, Volvo has no holdback.
  • rebeldukerebelduke Member Posts: 13
    I don't know how accurate Edmunds is, but this info is directly from their
    web site. The Honda holdback is 2%. I've also included the URL.
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    YES, there is holdback and other marketing fee depends on where you live. My thinking is they open the door for business and people work there just like any of us (has family to support). I can see they need to make profit from us. Just not a BIG proft :)

It does cost the dealer to put up this big HONDA sign on the street.
  • pilotodysseypilotodyssey Member Posts: 24
    These are the lowest nationwide Odyssey 2011 prices including Destination Fee and Regional Ad Fees. Please post your experiences with these as a negotiating price point.

LX - $25,161
    EX - $27,927
    EX-L - $31,000
    EX-L(Res) - $32,405
    EX-L(Navi) - $32,758
    Touring - $36,536
    Touring Elite - $38,728

The smartest Honda buyers have got these prices as on date. I know these are low but posted them so we are more informed on overall market variances.

Thanks!
  • otter8otter8 Member Posts: 3
    I couldn't find where someone got a touring for 36,536. Could you post what dealership gave that deal or maybe PM me? Thanks.
    Now those are prices in the US correct? I can't see those anywhere in Canada.
  • loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    I probably not doing well then. If any dealer around me will sell EXL(Res) for 32405, I will sign right away :(
    seattle area
    Prices posted are US prices pulled from car dealers, dealer management systems, and data integrators in the auto industry. Like the NSA's Carnivore sifting through EVERY email building actionable intelligence. These are best prices to date and are expected to trend downwards. No one will quote you these prices, you need to beat them down to or below it. More power to y'all!

Now let's go get 'em.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I finally actually saw one on the road today. It was white so it showed the flaws. All in all it wasn't as hideous as the pix, but it wasn't eye candy either. I couldn't tell which model version it was. I was particularly drawn to the cheap looking black mirrors and the gaping gash in the rear quarter panels for the sliders. I think that window design and the overall lower height draw attention to it. Those drawbacks kind of stick out rather predominantly unfortunately. I'll have to wait and see, but it seemed a little too rude to get me into a showroom to check it out closer. Maybe after I see a few more out there it will look better. Ironically, it looked a bit like the current Mopar vans from the rear view mirror as I drove past it (that hearse like look). I guess I just don't understand why someone would jump in line and pay close to list for it, but obviously others see it differently which is a good thing I guess. Since the 2011 Mopars will now have a modern engine and 6 speed, I'm thinking Honda may make that 6 speed standard in all models next year. Personally, I think the 99-04 ones probably still look the cleanest in their styling.
    I need to purchase a 2nd set of rims for my new 2011 Odyssey. I'll get a quote from Honda when I pick up my new wheels tomorrow. Anyone know of a good place to shop for rims in Canada?
    DON'T BUY THEM FROM HONDA.....THESE DEALERS WILL RIP YOU OFF....!!!!

GO TO TIRERACK.COM they ship everywhere. you can pull up your make/model/trim/color of your car/van and apply different rims and tires to your car/van.

You can PIMP OUT your car/truck/van without leaving your home in you underwear...!!

GOOD LUCK...!!! HAPPY SHOPPING.....!!! :)
  • larryb5larryb5 Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased the EX-L. I did not want the Continental Tires as I have had them
    on another vehicle and they were junk. The salesman told me they only put the
    Michelins on the EX-L w/Res and higher models. I told him I wanted the Michelins or
    no deal. They made it part of the deal. I paid $1100 over invoice and they gave me
    $13000 on my 2007 Colorado extended cab pick-up. I was happy with the deal.
    Excellent. Mine wouldn't deal the tires. But at least these junky tires are current. That means that they are stamped 3710 which means they were made in the 37th week of 2010 so roughly September. Otherwise there would have been no deal. The saleman didn't even know about this little trick or wasn't admitting to it but I don't buy tires that have been sitting somewhere drying out for a few years and then they try to sell them as new. Too many folks have died as a result of their tires blowing and such. Enjoy your van. I'm loving mine. Had to rearrange the garage so that it would fit in there beside my husband's Camry as my 1995 was smaller.
  • tmock13tmock13 Member Posts: 38
    To begin I'm in the market for another minivan. Currently, I owned a 2002 Odyssey and paid MSRP at that time. I am happy with it but looking to replace due to the high mileage. Anyway, I test drove the new Odyssey and came away unimpressed.
    The new Odyssey appears to be smaller but the dealer kept insisting it was larger than the previous generation. Anyway, I sat in the van and was annoyed at the low ceiling. I bumped my head a couple of times exiting the van sitting on the second and third row seats. The dealer says honda decided to make it sportier by making the minivan a little wider and lower. I hate this!! By doing this, the minivan is not as comfortable as the previous generations of Odysseys. Also, lots of cheap plastics are being used all around the interior. The minivan drives nicely but not as roomy and comfortable as the one I owned. By the way, I brought my my family (two small kids) along to the dealership and they liked the old Odyssey better. Also, the new Odyssey is selling at or near MSRP so we will continue our search for another vehicle.
  • kodum28kodum28 Member Posts: 2
    It is truely a good thing that others/we don't see things like you do since I sincerely think it is a very beautiful van, with all the right trims and versions of it being available. In anycase, to each thier own and I still think comparing the older 99-04 to what is being made now is rather unfortunate when you consider the advancement in aerodynamics and the reasons why they are now being designed in a particular way. You can tell I like them so I wish you all the best as you continue on your jouney into liking it.
  • kodum28kodum28 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know where you are coughing up these numbers but you couldn't be farther from the true numbers. As far as I am concerned and having a brother as a regional director, your numbers are so wrong. I will not devulge any information as to the prices but using the LX as an example and for all you that are following the listed pricers from "pilotosyssey", the LX odyssey cannot be advertised for lower than the invoice price of $25,976.00, (Invoice).All you need to do is start your negotiation from MSRP and work your number down to the where it will be comfortable for you and profitable for the dealer, after all, they have to make a little profit too to stay alive. It is Bottom feeders out there that make it hard for some of the folks in car sales to have such a hard time making this an honest living. In the mean time, "mr.pilotodyssey", tell us where it is nationwide that folks are buying brand new redesigned odysseys for the prices you posted. I for one dont believe you!!!!!!!
    Honda Motor Co., Japan’s second- largest carmaker, fell the most in almost five months in Tokyo trading after the company lowered its second-half earnings outlook.

Honda dropped as much as 4.4 percent, the most since June 7, to 2,807 yen and traded at 2,812 yen as of 10:16 a.m. in Tokyo. It was the second-largest decline among companies in the Nikkei 225 Stock Average, which fell 0.1 percent.

The automaker expects to earn 92 billion yen ($1.1 billion) in net income in the six months ending March 31, compared with an earlier forecast for 105 billion yen in profit, according to a Bloomberg calculation based on the company’s first-half earnings statement on Oct. 29.

Honda revised its outlook as the yen trades near a 15-year high against the dollar, reducing the value of overseas earnings. The Tokyo-based maker of Accord sedans also lowered its full-year global vehicle sales forecast to 3.615 million units from an earlier estimate of 3.64 million, citing weaker demand in North America and Europe.

Sales in North America aren’t recovering as much as Honda earlier expected, Executive Vice President Koichi Kondo said.
    Sales by Japanese automakers, which benefited from the “cash for clunkers” program, will fall more than the overall market, analysts said. Toyota Motor Corp.’s deliveries may drop 29 percent and Honda Motor Co. may decline 27 percent, the average of four analysts’ estimates. Nissan Motor Co.’s sales may slide 24 percent, the average of four estimates.

Toyota’s share of the U.S. auto market will sink to 15.6 percent from 17.9 percent a year ago, the largest decline among major automakers. Toyota recalled 1.1 million Corolla and Matrix models last week for problems with stalling, which adds to the more than 8 million vehicles it recalled in the last year for defects linked to unintended acceleration.

‘Surprisingly Weak’

Toyota’s “surprisingly weak” sales also could be driven by “sharply increased competition from Honda, which started offering very generous deals to buyers,” Barclays Capital analyst Brian Johnson wrote in a note last week.

Honda boosted discounts by 66 percent from a year earlier while Nissan raised incentives 28 percent, and Toyota lifted them 27 percent.
  • grover432grover432 Member Posts: 11
    Well is the holdback 2% or 3%. It makes a difference, don't you think? Where are you getting your information??
    Grover,

Goto http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

This information is coming straight from the website you are currently on..good luck..!!
    After driving my 1995 Odyssey for the past 15 years with 474,000 km on it the 2011 has been a God send for me. I couldn't imagine driving anything bigger but that's me.
  • vb4260vb4260 Member Posts: 2
    I booked my 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/ RES about 10 days ago. The dealer is telling me he doesn't know when the car will come. He says it could be weeks or month or more. Is this common experience for the 2011 odyssey delivery?
    The price we settled was $32850 including dest charge + fees + taxes.
    is the dealer trying to get out of my deal by any chance?
    Wow That is a great price. You must be in the US because you would never pay that great price in Canada. In any case my dealer told me this past Saturday when I picked up my Odyssey that inventory was a real problem right now. He sold everything that he had on the lot (5 vehicles) and said he had a list of people waiting to buy but was getting anxious about not being able to supply them with a vehicle which means they might just go elsewhere. But elsewhere may not have the inventory either. Must be a hot vehicle!
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20
    it is supply distribution manipulation
    that ensures prices to remain firm.
    nyt comes back
    w/ a not so glowing report on the '11
    i use to want one

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/automobiles/autoreviews/31honda-odyssey.html?_- r=1&scp=2&sq=2011%20honda%20odyssey&st=cse
    That is an incredible price, congratulations!
    edited November 2010
    We leased a 20011 Black EX and had a few dealer installed options added- Roof Rails, Body Side Molding, Splash Guards. If anyone would like to see pictures of what these accessories do to the look of the exterior, let me know and I can send a couple photos your way.
  • gene00gene00 Member Posts: 115
    I find this very hard to believe - if that is the price your dealer quoted you (well under invoice) for a 2011 EX-L/RES, I doubt you'll ever get it. It's either a mistake or a cruel joke.
    I'd love to see the pictures. I was thinking of side molding myself but would prefer to see it first.Thanks
  • dreyfus1dreyfus1 Member Posts: 43
    Consumer Reports have a preliminary report up on their web site. It confirms the debate going on wrt Sienna light steering and has new Ody softened up its steering. They state that Ody lacks the steering preciseness of the previous model. Also they state that road noise has lessened. It looks like Sienna with its Sports model has moved toward Ody steering preciseness and Ody in general is moving toward Sienna with lighter steering. Compromise is a terrible thing. These two are still by far the best vans on the market.