Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fight for recall of CVT for Nissan Rogues and the like

Comments

• nick109nick109 Member Posts: 2
    I'll one up all of the cvt problems. My 2008 Rogue CVT was 5K miles out of warranty and Nissan will replace it if I pay $3506.00. I thought I may get extra consideration since I also own a 2009 Altima and 2010 Frontier, but this corporation of [non-permissible content removed] do not value their customers. I was going to buy a 2012 Murano, but the HONDA CROSSTOUR IS MY NEXT PURCHASE.

GOODBYE NISSAN....FOREVER
  • darehaufdarehauf Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2008 Nissan Rogue and our CVT transmission died at 70K miles. When it happened, the car decelerated to a virtual stop approaching a stop light...and then rapidly jolted forward on its own after the light turned red, taking us out through the red light and almost getting us killed. I reported it to the gov't and to Nissan. Nissan didn't return my calls and I only got a stock "your case has been assigned a case number" email response.

And if that wasn't enough...10 miles after the new CVT transmission was installed by the Nissan dealer, the service engine light came on and the whole thing started smoking. It's back at the dealer again...

Needless to say, I've given up on Nissan doing anything to fix this. They know about the issue, they know people could get killed, and they know that this isn't a rare failure for their CVT transmission...and the most they have done is extend the warranty. They won't do anything more because it would be too expensive.

As soon as we get this car back from the dealer, we're driving down the street to the honda, ford, and toyota dealers to trade this mess in for something more reliable and less likely to kill my family.

If you're researching this car...don't buy it. No matter how good it looks, it is a REALLY bad car. You will regret purchasing it....trust me, this thing almost killed me. I wouldn't wish this piece of junk on my worst enemy.
  • funissanfunissan Member Posts: 1
    i believe nissan and its dealers are fully aware of a manufacturers defect. i also complained about a abnormal vibration i felt in the steering wheel and floor board while accelerating up to 40 mph and while holding speeds at 25mph and 35mph. at first they said they could not duplicate and after i read the new york times article the dealer said they all vibrate. i asked what were the specs for the vibration and they refused to tell me what inspections were preformed and by whom. dealers have NVH ( noise vibration and Harshment ) tools that can measure the frequency and amplitude of vibrations. TAKE A LOOK AT SOME VIDEOS I POSTED ON YOU TUBE UNDER 'NISSAN ROGUE VIBRATIONS' DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH Nissan CONSUMER AFFAIRS OR THE bbb, HIRE A LAWYER ACCORDING TO DISCUSSIONS ON NICOCLUB.COM THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE. A COMMON SEANCE QUESTION TO ASK YOU DEALER IS DO ALL MODELS WITH A CVT VIBRATE? DO THEY DIAGNOSE THEM DIFFERENTLY :mad: . HAVE THEM PUT YOUR ROGUES UP ON A HOIST IN DRIVE AT IDLE.
  • svisvi Member Posts: 4
    Unfortunately, I didn't see this forum until today - 1 day after I purchased the 2011 Nisaan Rougue ;-(

do you know if folks have had these problems even in the 2011 Rogues ?
    Mine was actually manufactured in Jan 2011 and was shunted between 3 dealerships before i picked it up - so it has 390 miles on it.

I am wondering if I should've picked up a June built 2011 Rogue instead for $800 more ? :mad:
  • whatnow3whatnow3 Member Posts: 1
    We have had two Nissan vehicles, a 2000 XTerra with 315,000 miles and a 1996 Pickup with 295,000 miles. So, looking for a new vehicle we went back to Nissan. We were planning on buying a Rogue but after reading this I think we will go for the Subaru Forester.
  • champton4champton4 Member Posts: 3
    I hae a 2008 Nissan Rogue and it has been nothing more than a disaster. The vehicle was purchased new in 2008, but because of the number of miles I travel (work related) I have 117,000 miles on the car (majority highway). The car in age is considered new, however the corporate office considers the car to be aged because of the milage. I say this to transition into the story of my air conditoner compressor having gone bad. Nissan refuses to repair and they have the worst customer service ever. In addition to the air compressor, I was driving and my car slowed with a rumbling noise and all of a sudden accelerated to a speed of over 70 miles per hour. Talk about frightened! The car did this several times. Finally, the car slowed and stalled in the middle of the highway...no warning....just slow motion moving and then a complete stop. I could have been killed or seriously injured. I would like to join in any suits that anyone has with Nissan. The Nissan Rogue is a lemon and they need to re-call not parts of the vehicle but the entire car needs a recall to assure the consumer that the car is safe to drive.
    Please count me in on joining you for a fight to get the CVT and all other matters relating to the Rogue resolved. Please read my post that is title DEADLY
  • mike1062mike1062 Member Posts: 3
    Were you aware that Nissan has extended their transmission warranty to 10 years or 120k miles on the Rogue and some other models?
  • kgbatlkgbatl Member Posts: 10
    The dealership told me about the warranty extension and about how some rogue's were having problems with the car's going into safety mode when we had our issue coming back to GA from NC. Unfortunately, 2 dealerships and Nissan wouldn't do anything because they said they couldn't replicate the problem. It seems to be an overheating issue so a short test drive is not going to replicate the issue.
  • errbear14errbear14 Member Posts: 1
    I will be calling - this has happened to me with TWO separate Nissan Rogues... the first one that was sold to me had no title and they had to return it... a fact I found out AFTER the car broke down on the highway going up the mountains... They had to give me a really good deal on a brand new 2010 car which just started having the same problems about 15 - 20k miles. I'll be taking the car in AND all of these complaints Wed. to the dealership. And I'm call the hotline. I know your post is old, but hopefully this will evenutally work to make people see how crappy this car is and make Nissan take note of their issues.

Thanks for the advice!
  • juankjuank Member Posts: 1
    I have a Nissan rouge 2008 with 58k, I always did the service and maintenance in the Nissan dealer , I felt the noise and vibration in the car but in the dealer said that's a normal for this car, so I never take a lot attention , but one week ago I went to the dealer to replace the pads breaks and after that I felt a click when I pull the car in drive it made a click, so I was thinking that something happens with the breaks, then I went today to the dealer for check the noise and they told me that the transmition has to replaced it because the case has a malfunction problem. I can't believe that a car with good maintenance and only 58k have this kind of problems.
    I don't recommend to buy this car, I was reading a lot of reviews about all the problems that rouge has. :sick:
    The repairs should be covered...yes, inconvenient.
    I have had an issue with my air conditioner and now the CVT on my 2008. Calling the Nissan Headquaters in like calling adeaf person and waiting for a response. I did get a response on the air conditioner problem but a refusal to repair and a rude customer service person also came with the call. Let me not forget to mention that the customer representative claimed to be at a higher level than those in the call center. I asked for a letter stating that the air would not be repaired and he told me that there would not be a letter sent and the only notice I would get would be what he is telling me over the phone. How frustrating! After this episode my CVT (transmission) went out. To the credit of the dealership (Gastonia Nissan) the CVT was replaced. There are still some concern over the new CVT, but as of this writing they are trying to work out the kinks. Koodos to Gastonia for doing their best to rectify the problem.

For those of you with transmission issues...do take to the dealer for a replacement...otherwise you are risking your life. the car will accelerate to more than 70 miles an hour without warning. Be safe and get it done!
  • lauren51lauren51 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the CVT problem has been fixed with the 2012 Rogue's? Really like the look and feel wanted to buy until I saw this discussion.
  • angrycaneangrycane Member Posts: 1
    Yes I would VERY MUCH like to know if the issue has been rectified with the 2012 model going forward.

I am glad that I stumbled onto this discussion thread as I have been researching the vehicle before purchasing.

Now I'm worried for my friend whom owns a JUKE with the same CVT transmission!
  • van65van65 Member Posts: 13
    What model years are covered under the extended cvt warrant? I have a 2011 Rogue
    Will appreciate input. Thanks
    You can go right to the Nissan web site and there is a Tab just for that particular warranty. FYI...we just bought a 2008 Rogue and have had absolutely "zero" issues with the trans. It has 61K miles. Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon, but with the warranty, I'm not all that worried about it. It's like anything else, most of the time there are only a few with problems. If you factor in all of the units sold with this trans, it's really not that many who have problems...It's just that the internet has a way of amplifying isolated "glitches"...Good Luck.
    Thank you very much. I concur with your thoughts about the internet effect. I had a 2005 Sentra before w/o any problems. I've never had a CVT transmission before. My Rogue has 1000 miles on it w/o any problems.

Thanks again, Jim
  • sharavatarsharavatar Member Posts: 24
    I was going to buy a Rogue today for they have 1500 of cash back by tomorrow. I thought I have time tonight to see more users review before I buy it. Now I have to think about it. Thanks for everybody's sharing of the experience with Rogue.
  • rogue_2011rogue_2011 Member Posts: 11
    I have the car for a year. No issues found so far! Getting the same mpg as it should be, 22 - city / 24 - mountain / 27- hwy. With the AC turns on, it drops about 2 mpg.
  • rogue_driverrogue_driver Member Posts: 3
    Jim,

I just bought a 2009 Rogue and decided, after the fact, to look at maintenance issues. Woops! I found this discussion group today. My car is used with 25,000 miles. What has your experience been since last August? My dealer offered a seven year 120K warranty which I took. I drove the Rogue to Charleston, SC last weekend without incident.

Don
    I have 3000 miles on the car and have had no problems. Were planning a long trip over Easter and in July to the Smokies.

There is engine drone from time to time, but that is normal with a cvt. I get 24mpg in town and 27-29 on the road.

The extended warranty with your vehicle is a good thing. You never know.

Jim in St. Louis.
    I have 3000 miles on the car and have had no problems. Were planning a long trip over Easter and in June to the Smokies.

There is engine drone from time to time, but that is normal with a cvt. I get 24mpg in town and 27-29 on the road.

The extended warranty with your vehicle is a good thing. You never know.

Jim in St. Louis.
  • testagmtestagm Member Posts: 7
    I have taken a couple of long car trips since I had the replacement CVT put in and so far, so good! I will be putting about 900 miles on this week for a road trip, so we'll see. I'm hoping that the new CVT has fixed the problem.
    Jim, Thanks for the note. You will love the Smokies this time of year. Creeks are full and waterfalls beautiful. Also the parking lots are not packed yet. I talked at length with our Nissan service manager, today, about the CVT reliability. He was not aware of a big problem with them. He was given a Rogue to drive to work from Sevierville (50 miles one way) two years ago and loves it.

Don
    Oak Ridge
  • dougc56dougc56 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Rogue and without warning the power steering went out I almost went off the road but keep the car in the road. Got it back to the dealer and found out my certified car was not under warranty for this problem and it would cost 1000 to repair. i have filed a complaint with nissan. I cannot drive the car. and it has set for a week because I cannot pay for repair. I have a friend as an attorney and plan on a lawsuit. I hope Nissan goes Bankrupt for selling JUNK!!!
    I would contact the district manager for nissan. Also, does your certification exclude the power steering in writing? Also, contact the state attorney general for your state and complain, and file a complaint with the BBB.

Good luck, Jim
  • kotoberekotobere Member Posts: 1
    I have rogue 2008 purchased as second hand (in Ghana). It has recently developed a problem of abrupt reduction in speed when in motion. What are the causes of such problem
    My first look, see would be the transmission fluid level and type. Standard transmission fluid is red, and Rogue fluid is not. Usually quick change oil service will not know about the requirement.
    You should also taste the fluid. Bad fluid has burnt taste. Do not swallow. If the fluid is bad haVe it power flushed, do no just drained and replace. Use a qualified mechanic, and use Nissan transmission fluid.

Check if the car has a recall on the transmission. You may be covered.

Please advise as to what happens.

Jim
  • gailintxgailintx Member Posts: 3
    My 2010 Rogue's CVT went out in December 2011 while I was driving 75 mph on the tollway. I had it towed (on a cold rainy Sunday) to the dealership where I bought it. The next morning, it drove just fine for them. The could not find any codes in the computer indicating a problem. I refused to take it back until the found something. A week later they said they replaced some valve and seal and I was good to go. Fast forward to March 2012. Same problem, same speed, same roadway. My car has 36,000 miles on it at this point. Had it towed back to the dealership. The next day, thankfully this time, it duplicated the problem for them. They replaced the transmission. It still did not show any computer codes, by the way. The warranty for the CVT is 120,000 miles. I wish I wasn't so upside down in it so I could get rid of it!
    I am glad you got the transmission replaced. I would keep the car now. The main problem with the car has been fixed.

Enjoy the car. It is a very good vehicle.

Jim
  • nena_whitenena_white Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a Nissan rogue 2012 last month with 3400 miles on it. Im completely freaked out now to even drive it and were suppose to be going from Augusta ga area up to NC mountains this coming week in it. I havent had any issues yet but it sounds like its coming. Can you tell me anything else about the 2010 or should I just sit and be scared?

Before we bought it, it was a fleet car for a company and then the dealership bought it at an auction where we got it. The reports for it are clear thus far. It now has 5000 a little over miles on it. Any tips help TY :/
  • captmillercaptmiller Member Posts: 1
    Nena, Please ignore the hot air you read. Many like to demonstrate their personal insecurities by telling stories where no one can confront them face to face with truth. I bought my 2009 with 25,000 miles and now have 30,000. Beautiful!! Although a bit expensive, you could have the transmission fluid changed to give you a little extra confidence. It is true that a very small fraction of these CVT transmissions had early life issues, 99 % are just fine. I have come to believe most trouble comes from young drivers who like to race, but will not admit it when sharing their personal grief.
  • testagmtestagm Member Posts: 7
    I am one of those who suffered loss of acceleration in the middle of an intersection. Very scary, and thank god I had the green arrow and wasn't struck by oncoming traffic! However, I would agree with captmiller when he says not to worry. If you have a 2012, I'm sure they have worked out the bugs of the 2010 that I still drive. I had my CVT replaced and the problem has not returned since. Drive happy!
    (By the way, I would disagree with the comment of assuming the people who had problems are young drivers who like to speed. I am not one of them, and the others who wrote in sounded like nice couples on long road trips like I was.)
  • kgbatlkgbatl Member Posts: 10
    I am a 40 year old mother o two small children who had a horribly dangerous experience on a road trip (see earlier post) I took my Rogue to two different dealerships, including one in the middle of our trip and both dealerships acknowledged that they were aware of issues but they could not replicate the problem so Nissan would do nothing. We are one car payment away from paying it off and will be trading it in as soon as we can. In the mean time, we refuse to take it on another long trip and after loving Nissan since I was in high school and owning a Nissan Altima and Maxima in the family, I refuse to buy another Nissan. I refuse to put my children in danger so Nissan just lost a lifetime customer.
  • jka3jka3 Member Posts: 1
    Madison, Wi Nissan dealer says they are booked for weeks replacing transmissions and to expect recall. my 08 rogue with 41k will not go from park to reverse.
  • rustywerrustywer Member Posts: 21
    So on a recent trip to Vegas, going up hill on a fairly cool night at 75 - 85 mph, the transmission drops into failsafe. This is the 2nd CVT in this vehicle to have problems. First one was replaced at approx 80,000 miles due to noise issues by a dealer in San Diego.

Being in the Business and having some technical experience with diags, I want to make sure I can see what is going on. I consulted two dealers and One says "It's an overheating problems, and Nissan is working on a fix" (This was from a service advisor) - I contact the Service Manager and he calls the Factory Rep, and I get the Blond Salute (The "I DUNNO SHRUG")(Yes, I'm Blond also)

I call a Buddy of Mine who is a service rep at a local dealer and he's at least willing to listen to me.

Here's what I see with a Snap On Scanner while Looking at Transmission Data.

(Quoting my email to my buddy the service rep)

So I drove the hell out of the Rogue this weekend with the scanner on it. The Datum I pointed out to you seems to be an issue.

When monitoring the ATF Temp readings, you can monitor both the Temp Sensor Voltage Reading and the ATF Temp in Degrees Fareheight. The Voltage readings Stay Between 2.0VDC and 0.6VDC which, according to the weighted values from mitchell Should be 68 Degrees and 230 degrees respectively. When I read temperature (Weighted Values) from Trans Data 2 the 2.0 volt reading is consistant with the 68 degree temp, but as the voltage drops the interpreted data shows that the trans is reading 275 Degrees at .6 volts. This will cause a failsafe mode if the TCM interprets this value as a condition that is above normal temp. When I read the temperature of the transmission with an infrared thermometer, it never gets close to the high temp reading that the interpretted datum shows.

As the transmission heats up, the whine in the transmission returns and gets louder as the temperature climbs.

I know that Nissan is aware of this heating issue and they are working on a "FIX".
    I am also getting an intermittent burning smell when going uphill in warmer outside temperatures.
    I know that this transmission, if it is heating up, will have excessive wear in the transmission drive belt due to the high temperatures.
    I know that the whine is not an acceptable condition for the transmission to have.
    Having the transmission drop into failsafe mode after 2+ hours of driving is unacceptable.

With this transmission dropping out of warranty in less than 500 miles, we need to do something about it ASAP.

(End of Email)

So, here some more "Sauce for the Goose" - If this is a problem with Data Interpretation they should have been able to fix it by reprogramming (Or cause it, because part of the first Technical Service Bulletin they performed, did a reprogramming of theTCM) - OR - If the problem is heat related and the problems don't show up untill the transmission get a few thousand miles on them, they can let it fall out of warranty with an average of a one time transmission replacement for problem units prior to the extended 120,000 mile transmission warranty expiration.

Either way, Nissan needs to step up. If you are getting a Whine, Burning Smell, Failsafe Mode (Normally with no check engine light in my case), a feeling of slipping under load - Be the Squeaky Wheel and demand an answer and a Transmission replacement as soon as it occurs. A whine is rubbing / slipping - that causes WEAR - that causes FRICTION /HEAT - THAT CAUSES FAILURE !

Good luck, my fellow Rogue Owners!
    So the Rogue went in to the Dealer Today. The Found that the transmission was overfilled with transmission fluid by 21 oz. (after I removed a Pint this weekend when I found it high also) They find a bulletin that states that there will be an Overheating and Failsafe issue if the Transmission is overfull. Apparently the Transmission has to be checked at 160 Degrees and the transmission fluid needs to be at the Hatched area of the Dipstick when checked at this temperature. They didn't find any sediment or residue in the fluid they removed.

Now, I'm waiting on Nissan Consumer Support to get involved as I started a case file with them. At least the service ticket will have a mileage less than warranty expiration and I have recourse if this thing bites the bullet.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2012
    I'm a bit surprised that it has a transmission dipstick at all. Those are getting to be a bit rare.

The next question is who (if anyone) serviced the transmission last? Was it overfilled at the dealer when it was replaced at 80k?
    The Factory Service Maintenance Interval is 60,000 Miles for Severe Service. The Transmission was last service by the Dealer who replaced the transmission. The Level has Been checked, but the Check procedure, as it was explained to me by the dealer, is not noted in any Mitchell or All Data service procedures that I could find.
    I'm seeing alot of conflicting things with Tech Bulletins, and the like. I have now 8 calls into Consumer Affairs, and have yet to be in contact with their Rep. They Promised a contact within 24 Hours, I did get one dropped call when I attempted to answer their call.

I have a request into the supervisor now.
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    I'm a Service Advisor at a very busy Nissan dealership. I'm pretty amazed by this thread, having dealt with very few CVT problems on the Rogue. We write up over 100 cars a day and I cannot remember a problem with one of these in recent memory.
    Nissan needs to admit they have a problem. Instead of fixing it you extend the warranty for 10 years or 120,000 miles. Each time there is a failure of a transmission, you put a human life at risk. I will keep my Nissan until the transmission is bad. I have only 4500 miles on a 2011 rogue and I have had two minor incidents.
    I don't work for Nissan. Nissan PAYS Dealers to service their vehicles. I work for the dealer. And please.... "a human life at risk"? I would say the risk caused to human life is 5 million times greater everytime you make a cell phone call whilst driving.
    espo,
    So what you are saying is that the Postings here are pretty much fabricated? Let me Qualify myself. I have 2+ years of formal instruction in Automotive Mechanics, I have 20 years of Electrical Technical Experience with Computer Controlled Mechanical Devices (U.S. Navy Weapons Control Systems), I have been back in the Automotive Industry as a Technical Service Consultant, Manager of Various Franchise and Independant Auto Facilities, have attended and Taken Diagnostic Strategy Training through 3 or 4 different entities, and know you imply that I don't have a clue as to what happens (or should I say Paranoid)
    The age old mentality that if it doesn't produce the Symptom then it isn't Broke, is the exact mentality by the "DEALERS" that saves tham money by allowing problems to exhist in warranty covered vehicles that ultimately fail normally outside of the warranty period (And we know customer pay is more $$ in your pocket)
    I have had Whinning, Burning Smells, Intermittent Slippage, Screaching Sounds from two different transmissions in my Vehicle. Now this one dropped into failsafe mode, with no check engine light, no transmission control or engine control malfunction codes, no freeze frame datum, and 4 people riding in a vehicle that is locked into a single ratio setting of the transmission, with traffic going at 70+ mile per hour, at night, and I can get more than 40 to 45 mph so I can get off at the next rest area in 7 or 8 miles, and you tell me that Me and My Passengers are SAFE in this vehicle.
    I'm glad your not in Quality control and Hopefully your not making the decisions on my warranty service.
    I currently run an independent facility that prides itself on running every reported symptom to ground, with the best efforts of 100 years of automotive technical service that we have in the shop. We may not be able to duplicate it, nor fix it at times, but we never make Blatent Statements like the one you just made.
    Your "OPINION" is Noted, But Just like Opinions, Everyone has a Sphincter, and more than a few of them STINK>
    OK, so the South Western Region Guy calls me back today. "After speaking with the Service Manager, we have determined that we cannot duplicate the problem" "Since we have the Record of your reported symptoms, we should be able to cover this under the Warranty Extension or on a Goodwill service if a True Faulure Occurs."
    So, they are not admitting there is a pattern of failure, and if I can get it to act up in front of them, they will "More Than Likely" cover the repairs.
    OK, so it Trade in Time, and Bye Bye Nissan.

I hear Edsel may be making a comeback :surprise:
    Any time you knowingly let a mechanical problem continue without addressing the cure, you incur a liability for hurting or killing a human being. I think it is about time a class action suit is filed against Nissian for neglecting a known danger in their cars.

The problem with the CVT also affects the entire engine. The 120,000 mile, 10 year warranty should cover all related moving parts.
    edited June 2012
    I'm not saying they are "fabricated", per se. I've been in the automotive repair field for 37 years, as a tech, Svc. Manager & Parts & Service Director. I deal with cars 10 hours a day and the people who own them. Are some of them goofballs? Sure. Most, however are not. If you're seeking to validate an issue by its' preponderance of internet occurances, I urge you to type "alien abductions" into your search engine.

As far as dealers "white-washing" the "truth" in order to avoid costly repairs... nothing could be further from the truth. As I stated above, Nissan PAYS US to fix their cars. In the case of replacing a CVT transmission, they pay us over $3K. However, before I can spend their money, I have to offer them proof that there IS a problem. If I cannot duplicate a concern, real or not, I cannot get Nissan to pay for a repair.

Period.
    Who is the "you" you keep referring to when addressing me?
    "I have had Whinning, Burning Smells, Intermittent Slippage, Screaching Sounds from two different transmissions in my Vehicle. Now this one dropped into failsafe mode, with no check engine light, no transmission control or engine control malfunction codes, no freeze frame datum, and 4 people riding in a vehicle that is locked into a single ratio setting of the transmission, with traffic going at 70+ mile per hour, at night, and I can get more than 40 to 45 mph so I can get off at the next rest area in 7 or 8 miles, and you tell me that Me and My Passengers are SAFE in this vehicle. "

I would have to say, that if this is true, AND you have had this happen with "two different transmissions in the car", that the problem is NOT in the transmission but in the transmission control module. But of course, this is an unsubstantiated guess, just like you're asking Nissan to make.