Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• letsrockletsrock Member Posts: 74
    The fix is a special tape that the dealer applies to the edge of the roof opening.
  • janjohnsonjanjohnson Member Posts: 9
    FYI - Here's the link to the NHTSA Service Bulletin# 00032 regarding moonroof squeaks. Acura is aware of the problem and should fix the squeak with no questions asked.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/central2.cfm

• zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    My wife has a CL with 4,800 miles. We love the car, but it only gets 14 mpg in the city. It gets 18 on the highway. Is this normal?
    Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it doesn't get driven that much. You probably make lots of short trips. If it was a Toyota, I'd be worried about oil sludge. Maybe you just have to take it out on the highway once in a while just to "open her up".
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    My Integra's got 5080 on the odometer at the moment. I agree with letsrock - take a few rides on the open highwy with the car. Take the long route around sometimes ... for cars that don't see a lot of use, that seems to make the engine happy.
  • cyboltcybolt Member Posts: 2
    Anyone familiar with converting a CL or TL into a convertible? I realize both have unibody construction and therefore depend upon a solid roof for a portion of their stability and rigidity. But how much? And if the percent is minimal, can this be done? What would it cost? Who does it? Thanks for any feedback.
    I wouldn't do it. If you want one badly enough, trade it for a solara convertible. Or if you have a few extra bucks, a BMW 3-series, or MB SLK.
  • madrid17madrid17 Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to purchase a 2003 CL Type-S w/Navigation within the next month. I've been to a couple dealers and the sticker prices are around $33,000. How much of a deal do you guys think I could the car for? Also, do any of you know the invoice price on this car?
  • Check the Edmunds TMV. Click "NEW" at the top of this page, and go from there.
    Here in Northern Cal, CL's are an excellent bargain. We paid under invoice for ours last year. I always see them advertised at very good prices at reputable dealers (none of that "1 at this price" crap.)
  • vineee1vineee1 Member Posts: 16
    HI,THIS MAY BE A STUPID QUESTION BUT WHAT ARE THE PROPER STEPS OD METHOD OF BEST USING THE SPORT TRONIC SHIFTER IN A CL??
    THANKS,VINNY
  • Put it in D, and leave it there. (Unless you want to go backwards. R works best for that.)
  • bodydoublebodydouble Member Posts: 801
    nasty nasty nasty :)
  • Now now now. No need to be an idiot. The D stands for droll.
    You asked the best way to use the transmission. I answered. That's the way I use it, because I feel it's the best way.
    Now, if they would only get rid of that stupid gated pattern.
    You hate that too? I thought I was the only one. I see no merit for it. None whatsoever. All it does is gets hung up between shifts. Makes me look down everytime to shift. Just hate it.
    WITHDRAW MY PREVIOUS COMMENTS
  • It's freakin' awful. Totally unnecessary. Serves no purpose whatsoever, except to annoy me. It's purely a phychological thing to give the effect of a manual gearshift pattern.

The shiftronic might come in handy if you're driving uphill in a snowstorm, while trying to pass a truck, and towing a boat. Otherwise, jam the gas pedal, and it downshifts by itself.
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    Sportshift is better than full auto because at least you get some voice in what gear you're in. But the computer can override you any time which pisses me off. Can't wait to get my 6 speed. There's to substitute for a true manual.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I know the SS on the Prelude would not upshift for you, ever. It would let you bounce off the engine's rev limiter, but it would not upshift. (It would however downshift to 1st when you came to a halt.)
  • mdanielmdaniel Member Posts: 47
    Same with the RSX and I think the TL with the 4 speed AT and SS.
  • cel3rd1cel3rd1 Member Posts: 1
    just bought 2003 CL type S with 6speed manual - drove the automatic for a few days with the gated shifter as a loaner car. I agree that best way to use it is "D" for Drive and "R" for reverse. Sportshift nothing like the 6 speed manual
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    It took a little while to get used to that gated shifter, but once I learned to just push it with the palm of my hand instead of trying to follow the pattern, I was fine. Easy now.

15,100 miles in 14 months and not one single problem. My old Chrysler 300M group was right- this car is BORING! NOTHING to complain about like my 99 300M!!!!! Never a dull moment with Christine from day one until 33 months later when I got rid of her!

Time for another oil/filter change and a tire rotation.

fastdriver
  • >>>Time for another oil/filter change and a tire rotation.<<<

Wow. Another 1000 miles went by already?
    I had my car idling in the garage yesterday and had the windows down, and the engine is making this tinny, rattly noise, like paper clips in a tin can. Well, sort of like engine pinging, except I've never heard of an engine pinging when it's not under load. (It's not loud enough to be noticeable if you're not in an enclosed area).
    bodydouble-

Sounds like the catalytic converter "tingling".

fastdriver

PS Forget to mention in above message- BEST car I've ever owned and I have about 18 coats of Zaino on it!! ;-))
    So, you bought the 18 coats of Zaino with the 'buy Zaino, get an Acura CL free' deal?

>:)
    ... that's too much Zaino ...
  • If the noise is coming from the engine, as opposed to the cat, I'd be very worried. It sounds like there's something loose bouncing around in there.
    I'd bring it in to the shop immediately.
    Where about is the catalytic converter located? Isn't it near the rear of the car?
  • handelyourselfhandelyourself Member Posts: 26
    Usually this beast is located in the mid to tail end of the car. Usually the older a car gets, fragments of it's innards break down and you can hear it rattling about like something loose. Eventually it gets so bad that the stuff will literally stall your car.
  • It generally only happens on older cars. Very very old cars. It can sound like coffee beans rattling around in a coffee can.

Bring the car in to a reputable shop right away, to find out for sure what the noise is. (An Acura dealer if it's still under warranty.)
    verozahl-

LOL... Nope. Had the Zaino, then bought the CL-S! Eighteen coats is nothing in 14 months if you know anything about Zaino. Love that Z shine!

fastdriver
    MUCH READ ABOUT SUN ROOF RATTLE AFTER 4 MONTHS. I KNOW THAT THERE WERE A BUNCH OF MESSAGES A WHILE BACK RELATING TO THIS. I WAS WONDERING IF IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO GIVE ME A QUICK REVIEW OF WHAT I SHOULD DO.THANKS IN ADVANCE.
    VINNY
  • Free warranty repair at your Acura dealer. They know about it. They have the technology.
  • ecarmackecarmack Member Posts: 161
    IMO the CL 6 spd looks pretty enticing in the latest comparison with BMW, especially at thousands less. I happen to like the conservative styling, and even with front wheel drive and lacking in the tire department, it definetly held its own.
    I'm actually curious as to how the CL-S would stack up against the G35 coupe out later this year.
  • nhl2nightnhl2night Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I am looking for help. My parents are almost set on getting me a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder, however I am in love witht he Cl Type S, which they are also considering. My parents asked me to give reasons why it would be better for me to get the Acura instead of the Pathfinder. Can someone please give me reasons why I should get the 3.2 Cl Type S instead of the Pathfinder, so I can tell my parents. If you seem to disagree and think I should get the Pathfinder please tell me why. Thanks
  • I think your parents should buy you a 1979 Civic. Get a job and buy your own damn CL, like a responsible human being.
    (That's why I hate rich people. One of the reasons, anyway.)
    You have to realize it is his parents who are offering to buy him the vehicle. So, as is often the case, it's the parents who need an attitude adjustment. No kid would turn down an offer of a new car. One of my clients bought his son as a graduation present a Porsche 911.

nhl: I think gary does have a point in regard to both of those vehicles being excessive. But I think the Pathfinder would offer less of a temptation for you to get into trouble. The CL-S is designed for one thing -- to go fast. And I don't know if kids should be given that kind of arsenal. (I'm assuming you're a young guy. If you're, say, 30, then we might have a different problem)
    :)
    I dont care one bit, with what you have to say. I asked for advice between those 2 cars, not your opinion. To hate a rich person because they offer their kid a car, is ridicolous and selfish. Just because maybe you werent given what you wanted, you dont have to hold grudges. Also, who said I am rich? You dont know anything about me. So I suggest that you actually try to help instead of degrading me and maybe then we can move on with this discussion.

Thanks
    I don't think you need the Type S. Get a regular CL.
    Reasons please?
    Welcome to Edmunds TH, nhl2night... "the rich, they're different than the rest of us, and that's baaaad!"

... why do you want a CL instead of a RSX? I'm curious. Yes, the Pathfinder and the CL are both nice, and refusing either would be, um, not smart.
    The CL has much of the performance and handling of the CL-S, plus 100% of its safety features, without the engine and drivetrain that's likely to get you (a young driver) into serious trouble. Plus, it's cheaper to insure, less conspicuous, and no less sexy to own.

Bottom line, the CL-S is a performance coupe and (taking a wild guess here) you may not be ready for a 260hp FWD car. The pathfinder (IMO) is a pretty boring vehicle. The base CL is a perfect compromise.
    nhl2night, let us know what color that CL-S is gonna be!
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    I don't think anyone including Garypen, really begrudges your new car "gift". However with your spelling being so poor, I have to side with Gary........get a 79 Civic and have your parents spend the rest on a good education for you. Sorry, it's a cheap shot but I couldn't resist. Comparing a Pathfinder with a CL Type S is a silly question. Bread truck vs. luxury performance coupe. What are your automobile needs? That's the approach you should take with your parents. Besides the CL and Type S get better mileage than a Pathfinder.
    Yes, the Town Hall circus is simply a bunch of fools who can't resist taking cheap shots... but this is the wrong place to ask silly questions like Pathfinder vs. CL. Both are very well-built machines, but you should go over to SUV-land if you want to hear someone justify a Pathfinder.

Interestingly enough, my mother was keen on the idea of me driving a Subaru wagon or a Ford Explorer around ... thinking that sedans or coupes aren't "safe" ... I'm not going to diss AWD Subaru wagons here, as they have good driving dynamics compared to a lot of sedans, but in a small coupe, you can avoid the stupid, lumbering Ford Exploders... while the Pathfinder is a well-built machine, it's still a truck.

Safety wasn't a 'big issue' for me. Haven't heard of Acuras engulfing in flames or rolling over the way Fords do... Integra/RSX or CL is plenty safe. In general, cars simply drive better than trucks, meaning that you can avoid problems before they occur on the expressway by using that steering wheel. If you try some stunts with any truck, you're going end up on your back at 80 mph. NOT pleasant.
  • You're right. I would've taken the car in a NY second.
    Ok, which is it? LSD or ATTS?

Driving around in a spiffy new Corvette that wasn't mine, a friend and I decided to stop by and test drive the CL-S 6-speed on a wonderful summer afternoon. Sunshine, some cash in the pocket, and fast cars... felt young again :)

Anyway, the CL-S brochure states pretty explicitely that the CL-S's differential transfers torque to the outer wheel on cornering. It did not say if it is active or not. If active, that's the Prelude's ATTS system, period. If it's passive, i.e. it lets the wheels spin at different rates if they feel like it, thereby resulting in more torque being presented to the outside wheel than the inside wheel, then that's just a differential. However the brochure wasn't clear and the salesmen had no clue either way and seemed happy insisting that it must be "better than whatever was in the Honda because this is an Acura and they're better, you know." Uh, ok salesguy.

That said, this was a great car. I've been starting to think about the second car I'm going to need around September or so, and the TL has been on the list of "cars to look at" for a while. Sans the six speed on the TL-S, though, the new CL-S might have to take its place. I didn't sense a hint of torque steer, and it had effortless power compared to the two Hondas (Prelude, S2000) that I have experience with. It also had what seemed like the same short throw shifter and light clutch pedal of the S2000... almost identical. Very nice. If only the ride height weren't so sedan-like!

I also was impressed by the front seats automatically motoring forward to permit passengers to jump into the rear, and especially impressed by the relatively ample space there. I'm 6'1" and felt pretty comfortable in the back. If it has ATTS... then lower it an inch or two, and that's the Prelude successor right there.
  • 64626462 Member Posts: 14
    Have you driven a G35 or IS300 yet? What's your opinion on how the CL-S compares to those? I've always been a big CL fan, but I think the G35 Coupe is going to be my top choice once it comes out.
    I've driven the manual IS300 before, the CL-S is flat out better. The interior is consistent, the engine is quite a bit stronger and smoother, and the CL-S is surprisingly roomy. The IS300 would do better if it had the GS's interior, or had enough room to justify four doors, or shipped with a killer sound system, but Lexus really needs to finish the IS. It's half complete, which is good enough to put it near the company of the CL-S, but certainly not above it. The only thing the IS has going for it is slightly better road feedback... but barely. The IS also has that chrome ball shifter that slips in your hands, and that dash chronograph that you can't read...

I've never even sat in an Infiniti so I can't speak on that.

Equal price, I wouldn't know whether to take a BMW 330Ci or the six-speed CL-S. That would be a tough decision. Factor in the price decision and it's a no-brainer.
    The power step-in feature for the front seats actually is a bit of a pain to use because it goes so slow. And it doesn't work unless the transmission is in Park (for auto version anyway).
    I haven't tried the 6-speed, but IMO, the CL-S has to lose some bulk and weight to be a Prelude replacement. (The G35 coupe actually has the ideal dimensions)
This discussion has been closed.