Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The G35 coupe is certainly a nice ride. But I think the first issue is, depending on the type of climate where you would likely drive your car, whether you can live with a RWD as a daily driver. But now that you mentioned the G35, and the fact that you imagine yourself to be a free spirit, the wilder 350Z would make one heck of a daily rocket sled.
  • alarmproalarmpro Member Posts: 27
    Hello to everyone! I have been gone since late 2000. I re-discovered this great site and now look forward to rejoining the fold.
    I still have my 2001 CL-S Red No-Navi and just turned 37,500 miles. I had a new transmission installed last May, and a few other minor repairs, but this is still the most exciting car I have ever driven. I purchased the 100,000 mile warrantee since I plan on keeping the car for the duration.
    However, I have encountered a very annoying problem that Acura seems to sluff off. The accelerator pedal began sticking when starting from a stop. When you apply pressure to the pedal it would resist then suddenly drop and accelerate. Acura said it is the buildup on the throttle body causing the pedal to stick, and repair was $169.99 and NOT covered under warrantee.
    I solved this problem by removing the connector from the air filter and spraying with and aftermarket throttle cleaner, then using a bottle brush, polishing the area. VOILA! Pedal restored to normal, smooth as silk. I am getting ready to change the oil again after 1 year, again using Amsoil Synthetic for over 30,000 miles. Changed oil annually, filters @ 6 months.
    Thanks for the time, I look forward to talking with you again and soon. Lee in Miami(now Ft. Lauderdale)
  • letsrockletsrock Member Posts: 74
    You must have noticed that the CL discussion topic has really slowed down since when you last visited. Unfortunately I guess it just reflects the uncertain future of the CL.
  • reincarnationreincarnation Member Posts: 2
    The new tranny doesn't sound like a good thing. Did you have any prior warning or symptoms? And what are the "minor" repairs of which you mentioned?
    The replacing of the transmission caught me totally off guard. I took the car in for some minor items, and I told them that the engine seems to wind up pretty high RPM's between 2 and 3 gear. They called me and said the transmission was shifting from 2nd to 4th gear and bypassing 3rd gear alltogether. Next they said that the factory was puzzeled by this and they were going to install a new transmission and send the old one to the factory. This was at about 29,000 miles.
    The new tranny seems to be just fine and after having the coldest morning of the year this morning, I am still convinced that this is truly one of the best cars I've ever owned. (35'F. at 7:00am.) The minor items were to replace a seat belt and wiper blades. Also as I previously mentioned, the sticking gas pedal was the other issue.Lee in Miami
  • reincarnationreincarnation Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. So you didn't hear strange noises (ie. clunking sounds, etc) to indicate there was a problem with the tranny?
    I never heard any thing but the roar of the engine when I would accelerate. As I said the car seemed to hold the shift from 2 to 3 which turned out to be 2 to 4 and bypassing 3 gear!

My son drove the car for the first time yesterday, and he couldnt believe the power, he drives a 99 Mustang GT V-8. He was impressed...

Where in Canada are you?, my late wife was from Windsor, Ontario. Lee in Miami
    sorry to hear your wife is no longer with us.

BTW, reincarnation is from Newfoundland which is the opposite end of Canada (East coast) from where I am. We have much nicer weather :) but the economy sucks.
  • climatecontrolclimatecontrol Member Posts: 15
    Hello room,
    I just wanted to ask a question. I have a friend in the market for a newer car under $25K. He is looking at a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE with leather pack, auto, sunroof, bose. He has been cross shopping other cars. So far he has came up with a Linc L.S. V8, a 2001 Acura CL coupe Type S(asking $20,900 for the CL), and a 2000 BMW 325i sedan. All cars have between 20-30K miles on them, except the BMW, it has 40K. All except the Maxima and Acura(it's at a dodge used car lot) come with a certified pre own warrenty. The big selling point for the L.S. is 3.9% intrest rate up to 60 months. The Maxima is the cheapest out of the group at $ 20K. A lot of car for the money, except it doesn't have a pre own cert warrenty, and it's up at 36K. Out of all of the cars, we would just like some imput from the smart people on edmunds. Love to hear any comments.
    Ben
  • mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    Just my opinion:

You didn't list the prices of the LS or 325i, but if the Maxima's $20,000 and the Type S is $20,900, I'd pay the extra $900 for the Type S - it has a little more power, is sportier, and is a "luxury" make.

When compared to the competition by car magazines, the LS usually fares last. It's too bad because, I've always liked the looks of the LS (the V8 is also a plus)

The 325i is probably the best all around car (assuming RWD is OK in your friend's climate), but they're also pricey.
    Does anyone out there know why Acura pulled the foglights from the 2003 CL? The 2001-02 CLs had foglights - the 2003 has just a blank space there. The 2003 TL still has them.
    The lights you are referring to are NOT fog lights. They are nothing but small insignificant marker lights. The CL and CL-S do not have fog lights. They were probably removed for 2003 because they did nothing but look "yellow-ish" compared to the pure white headlamps.
    The TL has foglights but not the CL. Lee in Miami
  • joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    IMHO, the 03 CL front end looks much better without them. The 03 version with less chrome looks much more sporty and aggressive. Well at least in the darker colors. (Black, Anthro, Blue and Red)
  • atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    climatecontrol, I'm in a similar situation. But before anything else, Acura has a national APR promo of 4.9%/5 years for pre-owneds. It's just roughly $6/month more over a 3.9% APR - easily overcome when negotiating at purchase prime-time (meaning, month-end).

Over the model options you mentioned, for me it would be a toss-up between the BMW 3-series (if automatic) and the CL. The Bimmers are supposed to be more expensive to maintain but what's going against the CL is its rumored phase-out, which could depress its resale value and hence its Total Cost to Own.

The Maxima has rear beam suspension along with its unfavorable perceptions; I would rank this car 3rd. And the Lincoln LS, one of the better conceived American cars, would be a last choice.
    Alarmpro & JoeandCarol2 -

You're right, I dug up an '02 CL brochure and there's no mention of foglights. Like you said they're not foglights but parking lights. I've always wondered why those lights were yellowish and not at all bright.

Thanks.
  • leekvaleekva Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the near future (1 month or so) I intend on purchasing the 03 CL-S. Is the C-S going to be available in 04? Can't find any info on the 04 CL-S, but can find info on the 04 TL. Anybody in the know?
    I don't think they are even parking lights 'cause when you turn the lights on to parking lights, those don't even come on. My service manager calls them exactly as alarmpro did -- markers. Just what they are supposed to do, I don't know! I agree they are useless.
  • massbobmassbob Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in whether Shehzad ever received a response to his question about the transmission problems, particularly whether the problem is only for those built before May, 2002? Also, shehzad, did you purchase one?
  • prefabprefab Member Posts: 7
    hello all. i had a master plan when i bought my 2001 cl in the summer of 2001. i had planned to
    keep this car for at least 10 years. there are more financial factors that go into the master plan that i will not divulge. weeks after i purchased the car, i sensed some slippage with the transmission. i brought the car in to the dealership immediately. the service manager and i went out for a drive and the car did not exhibit any further slippage that day or at any time thereafter. a few months ago i learned about the defective transmissions. my car is among the other acuras with this potential problem. acura has addressed the issue by extending the warranty. i wonder if the transmission will go after the (newly) extended warranty expires and will cost me thousands. in the back of my mind lingers the thought of the supposed slippage that occurred 14 months ago. i think of the resale value slipping more than it would otherwise given the potential for the transmission to go. should i unload this car? what would some of you do in such a situation? i'm disappointed in the fuel economy. i'm not too happy to $1.90 per gallon
    (can't fault the cl for that). i'm bummed that my bumper has a gaping hole in the front bumper
    from making slight contact in sub-zero weather with a snow bank. the oblong hole is the length of my foot and a few inches wider than my foot. i am bummed out what with is going down with
    my 2001 acura cl.
    What did the "slippage" feel like?

But then if it hasn't slipped again in the almost 2 years that you've had the car, maybe yours isn't one of the ones with problems. Also, the extended warranty is for 100,000 miles or 7 years. If your tranny can last that long, then you've pretty well gotten your money's worth, IMO.
  • basset3basset3 Member Posts: 9
    I haven't seen an answer yet on "Leekva's" question on the future of the CL beyond 2003.

Anyone have an idea?
  • welst10welst10 Member Posts: 49
    I bought a 2003 CL last October and it now has 5500 miles on it. So far this car has no problems. But one thing I am not so satisfied with is the brake. I mean it works of course. But It is just not as strong and responsive as I would like. Strange thing is that my friend's 2003 TL (bought on the same day as mine) has a totally different feel on the brake - definitely more responsive, effortless. As a result, his TL just feels lighter than my CL. What do you think? If I take it to dealer to get the brake adjusted, is it under warranty?
    I think brake adjustments are generally not considered a warranty item, but within the first 12 months of purchase, they'd do it for you free.
  • huxley123huxley123 Member Posts: 10
    I am getting an offer for a 98 Acura 3.0 Permium CL with 49.5K mi on it for 12,200. From the Edmunds TMV value this is pretty good considering I am buying from a dealer. My only concern is that the car is out of warranty and if something goes wrong then it might be quite expensive to repair.
    I guess Acuras in general are known for their reliability -- Consumer Report also mentiones 98 Cls as above average reliability - but I was wondering if there is anything specific that I should be worried about for a vehicle from that model year -- then I might have the dealer or a mechanic look into it before I buy the car. I did find that the brake felt pretty soft - but should it be wearing out this early ?
    Any comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks
    The automatic transmission possibly?
    When the transmission is in sportshift mode, does the "D5" indicator on the dash stay lighted?
  • nick62nick62 Member Posts: 7
    To leekva and basset3,

Sadly, it looks like there won't be a 2004 CL, and that 2003 may well be the last of it. There have been no "official" announcements from Honda yet (they historically are very tight-lipped about things until the very last moments), but various bits of evidence collectively seem to point to this conclusion (gathered form the www.acura-cl.com site):

- Someone who works inside the Acura CL plant in Ohio confirmed that there is no CL planned for 2004

- The TL has been redesigned from 2004. The CL is built on the TL platform. Thus, the current CL could not be continued into 2004, since the platform has been changed. Honda does not seem to have developed a 2-door variant of the new TL platform.

- CL sales have been disappointing, and continuing to drop - less than 700 were sold in January, for an annualized run rate of less than 7,000/year. Honda has previously hinted that they needed to sell at leadt 20,000-30,000/year to make it profitable.

- Some people have reported that dealers have told them they are no longer taking orders for CL's to be built to spec. This suggests that the production run may be nearing its end.

So, as much as some of us absolutely love our CL's (myself included - my wife and I have a matching pair of 2001's), it looks like it may well be discontinued.

Just when I was hoping to trade in one of our 2001's for a new Type S 6-speed manual...

Nick
  • nick62nick62 Member Posts: 7
    An internal newsletter to employees at the plant where the CL is built recently announced that the last CL will be built in June, after which the model is discontinued (this was supposed to be kept confidential within the plant).

So, unfortunately, it seems the CL is really gone.

I guess I'll have to keep mine for a long time....

Nick
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I wonder how much further the price of a new CL-S 6-speed will drop. $1500 below invoice and I might be interested... that's a heck of a lot of car for a low price...
    althought I can't say I disagree with Honda's decision to discontinue the CL. I've always thought the car was too big and heavy to be a sporty coupe yet not really luxurious and plush enough to be a grand touring coupe. And to top it off, the earlier ones had build quality problems.

But I wonder if selling prices (TMV) would actually go up once the public catches wind that the '03 would be the last of the breed? People that have been undecided now figure it's now or never.
    I also then wonder about the long term viability of the Accord V6 6-speed coupe.
    Considering there will be a core segment of coupe buyers (empty-nesters, people w/o children, people with children who can afford a 2nd/3rd car, tuners, enthusiasts, etc.), each carmaker needs representation in that segment to be a complete "vehicle provider."

Currently, the segment is big enough to be divided into economy (Civic, Focus, Tiburon, etc.), mainstream (Accord, Solara, Mustang, Monte Carlo, etc.), luxury (G35, CL, 3-series, etc.) and performance/specialty (350Z, S2000, Audi TT, etc.).

Because the carmakers' current mindset is to keep customers "in the fold," by offering step-up and loyalty (CL driver likes coupe so much the MDX is the only option for the family SUV, etc.) purchases, we'll see that:

1) The CL's phase-out weakens Honda's premium brand strategy. It's not remote for the CL to be dropped now (because it's based on the outgoing TL's platform anyway), only to be resurrected after the new TL's introduction, this time based on the new TL's platform.

2) Similar logic applies to the Accord, which is a critical product replacement for the Prelude and a step-up from the Civic coupe. Importantly, it sets up the Accord coupe driver for the Acura coupe.

3) Honda is promoting an appealing line of factory performance upgrades for the Accord.

All of that said, the Accord looks too important to drop from the Honda product group.

Personally, I'd still like to buy CL-like coupe from Acura that's performance and luxury oriented.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I have a 2002 Acura CL(base) with about 10,500 miles on it. Have done oil changes every 3,000. Thats a shame its going to be gone but what can you do. When I was looking at cars I wanted something that was nice looking no matter if it was a sports car or luxury car. I saw a CL on the road one time and decided to do a little research. Price sounded good to me. Went to a dealership in July 2001. I knew I wanted that car. Went into the dealer again in September 2001: First they wanted 700 under MSRP, than they came back with 1100 under MSRP, than they came back with 1400 under MSRP, finally made a deal with 1700 under MSRP. Have had the car washed every month. I always get compliments on how clean the car is. I think the CL is a better car just go through a busy town. Its ok as a highway criuser but it likes going through a town better. I remember when the 1st generation CL came out and I went on a trip to Virginia: there were alot CL's on the road back in November 96.
    I've always thought the CL's power delivery is not as linear as it should be, especially in throttle on/off situations, like the kind you get purring through city traffic. Mind you, my experience is with the Type-S engine, so perhaps the regular 3.2 is smoother.
    How many CL owners here stepped up to a CL directly from another Honda or Acura product?
    1998 Mazda 626. Lease was up. I wanted something that was a combonation of luxury and sport. CL was definately the way to go. I don't regret buying the car at all. I don't know the CL just likes driving in the town better. Yeah sometimes the car doesn't want to go and sometimes it does. I change the oil every 3,000 so thats not a non-issue. I don't know I drive down the highway everyday and the car doesn't feel as secure as it does on a street. Get right on the street and it acts better. The car has a mind of its own.
    I think someone else posted earlier also about his CL would sometimes not perform as well as other times, with no rhyme or reason.
  • basset3basset3 Member Posts: 9
    Thank you to all the posters in this group. Sadly, I read the posts regarding the demise of a great automobile...the Acura CL/Sport.

On a positive note...there might be some good deals on new CL/S's.

Thanks everyone!!!
    Actually I've been wondering about that. Would prices go down now that the CL is a lame duck, or would they go up due to the impending lack of supply? When a fundamentally good car goes out of production, I would think the law of supply and demand would drive prices up.
    Interesting question by bodble2. Here's my 0.2: I too can see prices going up if supply stops and demand for the CL continues and even increases, as in collectibles.

Looking back, demand has however diminished and trend-wise should settle to a trickle, which the grapevine says has convinced Acura to pull the plug. Doing this, Acura can free up valuable production capacity for other models.

Coupled with common knowledge of its transmission woes (common at least to prospective CL buyers), demand for last-batch CLs isn't likely to provoke "memento" prices.

The car business is quite brutal and for all the CL's goodness - the car's new and pre-owned prices will not be favorable to current owners.
    It could be excellent for some potential new owners, however. I got a Prelude SH for $1500 below invoice during its own death throes, with some extras thrown in, and have been thrilled about that even a year later. The CL-S 6-speed strikes me as a similar car for bargain shoppers.
    absolutely, it could be the deal of a decade, especially if the car will be kept for a long time such that resale value is not an issue.
    I think it could be like the Prelude and have a legacy. I've seen younger car buyers have the body kits on the 1st generation CL.
    Any CL owner hear a "snap crackle" noise from somewhere under the car when idling in gear after the car has been running for awhile (ie. hot engine)? No particular rhythm to the noise. Could it be a noise that the torque converter makes when hot, since you don't hear it when the transmission is in Park or Neutral? Or do I have potential tranny problems?
    The heat shield noise is a popping sound that you hear after the car is turned off. But the noise that I'm getting is when the car is running, but idling in gear (well actually for all I know it may be there when the car is moving but obviously I wouldn't be able to hear it!) It goes away when I put it in Park or Neutral. And it's there only when the engine and/or tranny is hot. It's not really a popping sound, it's more like....well, a snapping, cracking noise. My wife likens it to small firecrackers going off in the distance. It's not super loud but if you're idling in an enclosed area and crack open a window or door then you can definitely hear it. I asked the service tech at the last service and of course they gave me the famous "can't reproduce it" line. My main concern is the tranny but other than the noise there's been no other symptoms than I can discern. I'll have to bring it up with the service guys again next time but I'm just curious if others have heard the same noise.
    I have been thinking about the noises you are describing. Could you be hearing sounds from possibly bad gasoline? Maybe the fuel has a bad additive or possibly water in it! Try using Amoco Hi-test or some fuel with a very high octaine rating, you might also try some "dry-gas" in the tank. Let me know. Lee in Miami
    Check out Edmunds' first drive of the new TSX. I have never read a more glowing First Drive report here on Edmunds. If they build the CL replacement off this car....
    I tried your suggestion of using a high-octane gas (I tried a tank of 94 Octane). The snap crackle sound is still there. I'll have to bring this problem up with the dealer.
    Got a little over 11,000 miles on the car now. Last update was at 10,400 miles I think. Oil Change in 1,000 more miles. Don't want sludge!
    I read your posting, I'm not sure where you are going, but IMHO you should be thinking synthetic oil. No sludge, no gelling, just remarkable performance, clean operation and 1 year or 25000 miles between changes. I have a 01 CL-S w/ 40,000 miles and also an 85 300ZX both use synoil and the results are great. Cooler operation, less metal wear and internal damage. Do some research on this type of oil, you will be surprised. My personal choice is Amsoil brand. go to www.amsoil.com see for yourself, use their special filters too. Good luck, Lee in Miami
This discussion has been closed.