Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura CL

Comments

• tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I have 61400 miles on my 98 2.3CL and have had no problems excepting premature brake wear which the dealer covered under warranty.I change the oil every 3000 miles and it is tight and rattle free
    as the day I bought it new.The interior is still like new.Parking lot dings flaw an otherwise
    perfect vehicle.The paint is very thick and tough
    so I can remove scratches with rubbing compound
    without worrying about damaging it.It loves to
    cruise at 80mph all day.Things you take for granted such as maintenance reminder,brake light warning,reliability,etc gets you spoiled.It should go 200k before I give it to my kids.
  • danny25danny25 Member Posts: 119
    I went back and reread some posts about the excessive wind noise coming from the sunroof, but I didn't notice anyone complain about it whistling. At about 50-55 the sunroof starts to whistle very loudly. Does anyone know if that tape spoken about will fix this?
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    The tape is only supposed to remedy the roof rubbing against the edge of the opening, creating what appears to be a rattling sound.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a Happy, Healthy and Safe Thanksgiving and to take a moment to remember all of those affected by 9/11.

fastdriver
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    I with you fastdriver! :)
  • hofam111hofam111 Member Posts: 2
    I drove the 02 TL and it was smooth.

One dealer in Pacific Northwest is posting $27K for a new 2001 CL-S w/Nav. and $26K w/o Nav.

I will check it out this weekend and I will pay special attention to the wind noise from the CL moonroof.
  • hsolohsolo Member Posts: 1
    I was looking to buy CL for weeks in NY. The best offer I got was CL Type S w/o Nav for $26,980 including destination charge. About two weeks ago while I was visiting my girlfriend in Boston,I ended up buying my CL Type S w/Nav for $27,000. I love my car and navigation system is great but I am still wondering whether it was good deal or not.
  • bc01clsbc01cls Member Posts: 44
    hsolo................that sounds like a great deal since your sticker had to be a lot higher. If you got an 01, nothing but color changed on the 02, and your price was fair--it is a new car! Be glad that coupes are a little "soft" and enjoy your ride. I've been driving my Pimp Daddy Gold CL-S for 16 months and I still love it, despite the fact that I paid $29 out the door with no nav (stickered at 32,810!) but with spoiler, bra, mud guards, fender trim and mats.
    Just checking in here. 10,700 miles on the 2001 CL-S leased on 3/28/01- NO problems. Still only 2 dealer visits for oil/filter changes and tire rotation/balance. Time soon for the next oil change.

BEST car I have ever owned! First Acura/Honda product ever! No squeaks, no rattles, no pulsating brakes, no transmission problems whatsoever.

That Zaino shine is terrific!

fastdriver
  • bishop2kbishop2k Member Posts: 2
    Hi Guys. My name is Dave--I just purchased a 2001 Black/Black CL-type s--111 miles for 26,500. This is the best price I could find in the color I wanted. (well I wanted silver but black was a close second)--I have a few questions...My car comes with an upgraded wood trim intereior(greyish black faux wood by the radio and shifter) ---Is there a easy way to remove and or replace? I sort of like the clean look better. Also--is there a acura enthusiast website? I am looking for all the info I can get for my new baby. I moved up from a honda civic ex so I am really excited to stay with Hondas. They are rock solid reliable. Thanks for any replies..in advance.
    Dave
    bishop2k-

You won't find a more active site than http://www.acura-cl.com ANYTHING and EVERYTHING can be found there. This site at Edmunds is basically dead!

fastdriver

For those of you who take your CL to Acura for an oil/filter change, how much do they charge, and do they fill your tank every time you take it in? The reason I ask about the gas is that they filled my tank when I bought the car, and then when I took it to get it detailed they filled it up again. If they always do that, that may offset the extra cost of a dealer oil change. I was just curious.
    danny25-

The 2 times I've been to the dealer so far for oil changes, they were $9.99. This is not the dealer I bought the car from. I bought it in RI, but live in CT. They WERE going to vacuum the car and wash it and check the air pressure, but I told them NOT to touch it! I use Zaino polish and wasn't looking for any minimum wage kid to touch my car.

I just received a flyer from this same dealer and noticed that the oil change is now $19.99. Still cheaper than the Jiffy-Lube that I used to use 2 cars ago.

GAS! NO. No one has EVER filled my tank. Then again, I noticed that you live in Texas. I'm sure that Premium 93 octane gas is not $1.45 like it is here!

fastdriver

PS Update- I have almost 10,900 miles on my CL. Think I'm driving it too much! ;-))
  • You won't even let the lot boys vacuum your CL???? Aren't you the guy that doesn't let his wife drive it, or his kids even sit in it? :-)
    I also usually decline the car wash when I get my car serviced. They don't have time to do a thorough job and they usually end up scratching the paint, especially if you have a dark colour car. I also check my tire pressure regularly so again I would preferred that they didn't monkey around with that.
  • indysgold1indysgold1 Member Posts: 6
    I had a run in with a police car at a blind intersection.Messed up the right front fender.I have been cl less for two weeks.I can't wait to get my car back.I have had mine since 3/20/00 and have had no problems.I got the gold color that everybody seem to love and for some reason they don't make any more.I leased mine and it's all most time to look for another.I don't know CLS or TLS either way the best bang for the buck.
  • Monkey around with checking the tire pressure? What is there to monkey around with? Worried they might damage a valve? :-)

If they use a brushless wash, it won't scratch. If you otherwise bring it to a commercial wash, there's no reason not to have them run it through their brushless wash.

Of course, if you never machine wash it, I can understand not wanting them to, either. Although, I don't understand never machine washing it. It's just a car, not a family member. ;-)
  • cyranno99cyranno99 Member Posts: 419
    My dealer charges about 30 bucks for oil changes... of course, that includes inspections... joy!

My dealer hand wash the cars, but they would do that for free when you bring your car in for scheduled maintenance.
  • Mine also charges $30. My other car is a Chevy. (I don't have a license plate frame on my CL, stating that, BTW). They charge $35 for an oil change! They also charge $60+ for a smog inspection, which can be had anywhere for $25-30. Talk about nerve! I don't know what my Acura dealer charges for that, but I doubt if it's $60.
  • cowonthefarmcowonthefarm Member Posts: 3
    the only thing i have against the cl is that it only has two dorrs and the back is in my opinion uglier than the tls which almost the same price but the again theres the charm and sportsimage of a 2door
    They won't damage the tire, but I just don't want them to change the setting to what I had set it at. As for washing, I think most dealers hire some kid at minimum wage to hand wash. They don't mean to harm the finish, but they do. I had a black car before. And after they washed it once, there were swirl marks all over.
  • Must have been using brillo pads! ;-)
    you might as well get the TL - more likely to have cheaper insurance - if sporty image is more of a concern then get the RSX!
  • CL's generally sell for $$thousands less than comparably equipped TL's.
    garypen-

Overprotective? I don't think so. You have me confused with someone else. First of all, NOTHING has to be done to my car when it goes to the dealer for an oil change. The car is always clean and vacuumed and the tire pressure is where it should be. I don't need someone putting in 35 pounds of air and checking them when they are hot on top of it.

I'm not saying that they would damage the car on purpose, but since they're not making the monthly payments, I don't think they take the same care that I do.

I don't know of any dealer around here that has a brushless car wash in their facility. The dealers in CT are not those mega sprawling dealers like they have in CA. A brushless wash would be fine, it's what they would use to wipe the car off with that bothers me.

Some people are satisfied with going to a car wash once a week. For them that's fine. For me, it's not. To each his own. I do go to the wand-type car wash or the high pressure one at a CITGO gas station in the winter, but I have not been to a brush/chamois strip car wash since 1990!

I guess some of us just care more about what we drive and how it looks. That's what makes the world go round!

BTW- $30.00 for an OIL CHANGE?? You are getting robbed! I thought things in CT were expensive, but you have us beat! I don't even think the Mercedes/BMW dealer here charges $30.00 for an oil change!

fastdriver
    gary - I doubt that you could buy a CL for thousands, maybe hundreds, around here....

fastdriver - well.... that's about what most places would charge for oil change around here. Must be due to the fact that they have to properly dispose of the used oil... I can do it myself cheaper, but I am just too darn lazy!
  • I wouldn't pay those prices either. Big ripoff. I just see those prices posted there.

You wash your car more than once a week? Wow. I generally only wash mine once a week. I wipe them down daily with a duster. However, rainy season just started, so the dusting is on hold.

I specifically chose silver, because it doesn't show the dust and grime, and is less susceptible to swirling. I like them to look good, as well. I just don't mind if other people vacuum or check tire pressure. I do it myself, too, so I'm not too worried.

There really was a CL owner that said he doesn't let his wife drive it, or his kids sit in it. I swear! :-)
  • In the Bay area, CL's really do sell for thousands less than similarly equipped TL's. I crap you negative. It's a supply and demand thing.
    garypen-

I wash my car whenever I think it needs it. I have no set schedule. Of course, with the Zaino polish on it, it always looks good even when it is dirty! In the winter, I might wash it more than once a week if there is road salt all over it. If winter goes the way it has been here, there won't be any snow! Going to be in the high 60's all week! Very unusual for CT in December. I like it. I hate the cold!

That CL owner you're referring to does sound a bit odd. Like you said, it's just a car. ;-))

fastdriver
    well.. darn.. I should have waited and bought online :D
  • I don't know if they're as cheap online. I've seen the low CL compared to TL pricing at brick and mortar dealers.
    too far of a drive for me.. thanks!
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I recently had water in one of my headlights of my 98 CL.I was able to dry it by removing the bulbs and blowing low pressure air in it a couple of hours.I wonder if the automated car wash I used could have caused it?
    Nah, I've that problem in cars that never been to an automated car wash. It might be a contributing factor though. I'd say that your headlights container is not properly sealed.
    As a new CL owner I have a few questions about some things the car is doing, and if they were normal based on all your experiences. First, when ever I start the car and begin to drive, whether in R or D, the car makes some groaning noise. The situations is usually like this: I start the car and let it warm up, then I back out of my drive-way and as I turn the wheel it makes the noise. Then after I put it in D and begin to pull away, it makes it again. Anyone have any ideas what that is?
    Second, when I roll my window up to the top most position, or down from the very top, the whole interior door panel moves. That happens on both the driver's side and the passenger side. If anyone has any experience with these small problems, please let me know. I'm sure they don't sound important, but when you spend that much money on a car you want it to be perfect. Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    My 96 Integra just started making that noise after 99,000 miles and its first service at an Acura dealer. Maybe they have some crappy power steering fluid right now.
    I betcha its the ABS self-test. This is normal. Does it sound like a electric motor humming noise that lasts for about 1.5 seconds?

I've never noticed the door panel moving when the windows is going up and down. But then I don't open the window much. I try it tomorrow.
  • I get the same thing on my CL with the windows.

I also get a slight groan, which is from the disc brakes. That's something fairly common with disc brakes on an automatic transmission car. It usually happens when moving very slowly, like backing out of a parking space, with lightly releasing the brakes.
    Thanks for all the response. I didn't think of it being the brakes, I'll have to check next time to see if it just happens at a certain point while I'm backing out, or when I let off the brake. I know (at least, I think I know) it's not the steering, because I tested it by backing out completely straight a couple of times and it still happened at about the same time.
  • vonlinzvonlinz Member Posts: 12
    Yeah, I have the same experience with my CL. Whenever I back out of the garage in the morning, I hear a groaning noise as I'm slowing to a stop. I haven't noticed it while moving forward, however.
    I have not heard any groaning noises when backing out of the garage. I'll have to pay attention tomorrow morning and shut off the radio and open the windows. So far, 10,900 miles, I hear no noises at all! I love this car!

fastdriver
    will occur when you first starts the car... doesn't matter if you are reversing or going forward. A respected service manager answered that it was the ABS.... on another CL forum
  • Respected by whom, hmmmmmmmm?????????????????????
    by a bunch of kids that drive the CL.....
  • :-)
    I just picked up my license plates from the dealer and while I was there stopped by the service center to ask about that noise. Basically he said what some of you have already said, that it's the ABS purging itself, or something like that. He threw in a couple of techinical terms, but pretty much said it was fine.
  • I groan when I purge myself every morning, too. So, it's understandable.
    yeah.. but YOU don't have ABS.. do you?
  • It depends on whether or not the "A" stands for "abdominal".
    danny25-

I listened to my CL-S this morning as I was backing out of the garage. Radio off, both windows open. Thought I heard a slight "whirring" noise as I was shifting from R to D and back again. I thought that was the noise until I realized that it was the passenger mirror moving up and down. LOL... Didn't hear anything else. Does it just make this noise first thing in the morning and then is fine the rest of the day?

I never heard any noise from my ABS.

fastdriver
This discussion has been closed.