Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    It's not only bigger, it's stronger. As well as the internals, the actual casing is stronger as well. It would be a good idea to have it if you're going to fit larger wheels and tires, maybe 33"+. It's also handy if you like to race around off road at speed and get lots of air :-)

The only reason I don't have it, is that ABS is a higher priority for me.
  • 95wrangler95wrangler Member Posts: 17
    '95 Sahara 6 cyl. w/60,000. Used Mobil 1 10W30 every 3,000. How much oil use is normal? Add one quart/1,000 miles...one/2,000 ? Changing it every 3,000 might seem excessive to some...but it's NEVER been in the shop for ANY problem at all except routine maintanance!
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    Your Jeep leaks oil with only 60,000 miles?

Thats awful.
  • truebelievertruebeliever Member Posts: 14
    Test drove a Jeep yesterday. Not as bumpy as I thought it would be. I drive a 94 Ranger now and its pretty bumpy.

Was noisy. I drove the soft top. No hard tops were available. How much quieter is the hard top?

Engine felt more powerful than I expected. One thing I did notice a lot though was because of the gearing, I guess, you have to shift through first and second, all the gears really, very quickly. Was a lot of work getting it up to speed when pulling into traffic, etc. Do you just get used to that over time? Initially it seems to take away from the performance aspect.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    yeah, soft tops are noisy, though the new ones are supposed to be better. I have both tops and the hard top is much quieter, though the engine is still plenty loud.
    I never notice how often I shift gears in my Jeep until I drive someone else's stick-shift car. I sometimes start my Jeep in 2nd gear, the 6-cylinder is plenty strong enough to do that.
  • kevinvsrkevinvsr Member Posts: 12
    Hi folks. Pretty much decided on a 2001 Wrangler, and just a few weeks away from taking the plunge. I do have a few questions remaining though, and looking for help from Jeep owners.

1. Stereo Security:
    Which is generally more "secure" in a Jeep: A factory CD or aftermarket CD with removable faceplate? Reason I ask, is I assumed faceplate CD, but ran into someone who had them stolen twice, both times with the faceplate off. I guess the thief assumed the faceplate might still be in the car. So wondering if it would be more of a deterrent to just get the factory CD. Any thoughts/experience?

2. Dual tops:
    Really want them both, but trying to reduce cost and storage in the short run. Are aftermarket hard tops similar in cost/quality? Will the new quieter soft-top suffice? Anyone in winter climates get by on a soft-top only?

3. ABS/Axle:
    Although second car, I have 2 kids and have to drive in snow/ice. So I really want the ABS. But that takes out the Dana 44. I plan to do off-roading, but light duty. Getting to a fishing hole/stream, recreational camping, and occasional jeep event. Can I get by without the Dana 44 for my usage? Can I still upgrade the stock tires to say maybe 30" with no problems later? Is it a re-sale issue?

That's it. Thanks in advance for helping me get my options straight. I really look forward to owning a jeep!

Kevin
    1)the stereo thing is a toss-up. In my old Jeep, I had a beater cassette deck and nobody ever messed with it, even with the top down. In my new one, I have a CD with the removable face, and still have never had anyone mess with it, even with the top down. As far as I can figure, the only intruders I've ever had with my top-down jeeps have been cats, lots of cats. Cat prints on the hood, car hair in the Jeep. I wonder if this is a common problem.
    2)if you have to make a choice between tops, absolutely positively get the factory hard top now and an aftermarket soft top. Aftermarket hard tops are inferior to the factory hard top, which has a rear wiper and will be already wired to go. There are lots of good aftermarket soft tops, especially from Bestop.
    3)the Dana 35 is fine for light off-roading. get it with the limited-slip differential and ABS. I have this set-up and it works well.
  • krankitkrankit Member Posts: 6
    Hey all! I purchased a 2001 sport about 3 weeks ago and am very happy with it so far. With all of the negative posts I see here I started to get a little unsure about getting one, but decided I had to do it. I ordered a yellow Sport pretty much loaded. It rides better than I thought it would and isn't too noisy with the hard top. I haven't tried the new soft top yet because it's been so damn cold here, though it is supposed to warm up for the weekend and the hard top is coming off! The factory stereo is definitely improved with the optional subwoofer in the console – it's actually good enough that I probably won't upgrade it for a while.

The vehicle feels very solid. There is some wind noise, but I expected that. I got it up to 80 and it handled fine, though because this sucker eats gas, I won't be doing that too often! I find that I am driving a lot slower in general than I used to... that's a good thing.

It took less than 3 weeks to get the vehicle after I ordered it. It probably helps that I'm in Detroit which is less than an hour from Toledo...
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I think the factory stereo would be more of a deterrent. I just don't think factory stereos are stolen that often.

I don't know about soft tops in winter climates.

The Dana 44 is a tough call. Maybe the dealership can give you some more info. They won't sell a jeep with the 30 inch tire group without the D44. Almost seems like some Dana 35's hold up better than others. I know people that are running 33's and 35's on Dana 35 with no problems yet. I personally don't care for ABS, but I don't ever drive in snow or ice either
  • im4snowim4snow Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to order a 2001 Sahara....I understand that most of them come with the 'usual' stuff such as ABS, Dual Tops,Sentry Key, Speed Control etc. Are the 2001's coming with Axle-Trac-Lok along with the 30" tire group?? I know when I priced out the 2000 in Aug. that wasn't included on the invoice, and now it is. Also, for the 2000's the destination charge was 560...has that cost gone up?? I hate this process, it's truly painful for me so any help would be appreciated.
  • dpage35925dpage35925 Member Posts: 45
    A guys, I took a few pictures of my 2001 wrangler last weekend and put together a quick web site.
    Check it out
    www.hometown.aol.com/dpage35925

The web site is very basic, I'm not an expert
    But it works... Let me know what you think

Dennis
  • silksilk Member Posts: 4
    I'm jealous, looks like a lot of fun to be had, enjoy it!!!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    nice pics man ,but in your info listing you list your engine as a V6 , it is not a V6 but an I6 .Inline 6 cylinder . FYI .
    If you tried to access my web site last friday and saturday, you might have seen a "Grill" That was my mistake.
    If you try again it will work. You will actually see pictures of my Jeep. (Sorry about that)

www.hometown.aol.com/dpage35925
    Sahara's don't come with ABS, dual tops, speed control and sentry key. Most of them on the dealer lot may have them but you pay extra for those. Not sure what you meant when you said "comes with". Just FYI. I think I am right on these options. The Dana 44 should come with the 30 inch tire group. I think the track-lok is separate. In 2000 you could get the 30 inch tire group without the Dana 44, but not anymore.
    The Destination charge can go up or down at any time I think. Either way you just pay whatever it is.
    Hope that helps
  • im4snowim4snow Member Posts: 2
    Texasjeep-thanks for the reply. Yes I know the Sahara doesn't 'come with' those things and that they are extra. I guess my real question is, what is an Axle Trac-Lok and why would I need it?
    Rear axle track lock means that the wheel with the most traction will get the power.
    With a regular axle the wheel with the least traction will get the power, so that if one wheel is in the mud and one wheel is on solid ground, the wheel in the mud will be spinning and the wheel on solid ground won't move.
    If you have track lock the wheel on solid ground will get the power and you'll probably move.

You can also buy it after market. There's all kind of lockers. There's too much to say about lockers and the different types.
    I think the ultimate locker is ARB Air locker which you can activate off road and de-activate on highway.
    Seach the internet for "ARB AIR LOCKERS"

Dennis
  • kayak81kayak81 Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my 2001 Wrangler with the Dual Top option and have a couple of questions:

1.) The owner's manual & video says that one of the tops should be removed immediately due to potential friction from the hard top wearing down the soft top. The whole process seems rather complicated, do I need to do this right away or can I wait until next spring?

2.) I've seen several online catalogs with hoists for the hard top. Can anyone recommend a hoist that they like, or alternatively, those to stay away from?

3.) Putting up & taking down the soft top seems a lot more complicated than taking off & putting on the hard top. It seems to me that it would probably be easier just to take off the hard top when the weather is nice and to put it back on when it's cold or rainy. I would be interested to hear the opinions of people who have used both tops.

Thanks for your help.
  • dclifford1dclifford1 Member Posts: 2
    I want to purchase a wrangler and need your help in what to look for when buying a used 1991+ for less than $4000. Are there specific options I should ask about? I found a couple, are there different running gears I should look for or are they all standard? Is there one year that is better than the rest? I am not an a "four wheeler" but we do have snow and ice. What do you recommend?
    You are going to have a very difficult time finding a used Wrangler for less than $4000. You are probably looking more like $6000 or $7000. CJs and Wranglers are the slowest depreciating vehicles around and almost never drop below $4000, even for relatively old ones. People just keep rebuilding them as parts wear out. That said, the Wranglers to avoid are the early ones ('87-90 I believe) with the carburated 4.2L engine (stalls) and Peugeot trannys (breaks constantly).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Texasjeep was kind enough to respond to my post in the "Consolidation" conference about whether the SE has enough power to accommodate the 30" tires or not. He said he didn't ever want another 4 cylinder Wrangler because of low power for highway driving, especially in the wind.

Anyone else have an opinion, preferably based on personal experience? I probably can't even afford an SE anyway right now due to the high pay-off on my current car, but I sure don't want to rush into a situation and be sorry later. I sort of think I would be better off to wait until I can swing a deal for a Sport.

I wish I had bought a Wrangler the last time I traded, back in late March, but I didn't have the "fever" for one then.

Thanks for your response, texasjeep. Anyone else, please feel free to put your two cents worth in.

tsjay
    I've had both engines; I had a '94 4-banger and traded it in for a '98 6-cylinder. I prefer the 6 because it gets about the same mileage on the highway (IF you get the stick). I think the 6 is worth the extra $$, though I also think the price difference is more than it needs to be and is worse now than when I bought mine 2 years ago. It seems to me that if you are going to buy a new vehicle, then you should avoid shortchanging yourself on items as basic as the engine. Let's put it this way: I have met plenty of I-4 Wrangler owners who wish they had paid the extra $20/month for the 6-cylinder. I've never heard someone with the 6 wish they had gotten the 4 so their payments would be $20/month LESS.

As far your current car goes, don't envy Wrangler owners too much right now. Consider what we're paying for gas at the moment.
  • dclifford1dclifford1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the help. I have found several under $5k but most are the 4cyl. Which versions did the Peugeot tranmissions? Please drop me an email at don.clifford@usbank.com.
  • abaltoabalto Member Posts: 22
    That questions and technical advice web site...

I have also looked for a good Dodge web site to ask questions and technical advice, opinions, etc. The best site I have found is www.moparchat.com This site is clearly the best in quality, with over 60,000 posts! Good luck either way Trevor!
    Hey guys,
    if you have a picture of your Jeep E-mail it to me dpage35925@aol.com

No Jeeps are alike and that makes it a lot of fun

Dennis
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    If anyone else want to see mine, go here www.angelfire.com/geek/jeep/
    I sent you mine already, Looking at your pics I noticed how jealous I became.

How close to the beach do you live? Do you ever get any hassle because you drive without side mirrors? That is the only reason I don't take off my hard doors.

Al
    Hi Al,
    Yes I did receive your picture last time. Looks good!
    I never got hassle for driving without doors and mirrors. I think the cops in South Florida have better things to do than to pull over someone driving a Jeep without mirrors.
    I live 10 miles from the beach. Those pictures were taken in the Keys. I drove down to Key West for the weekend with my wife.
    It was really cool
    Dennis
    Thats it, my doors are coming off tomorrow!

Man, it must be hard living that close to such a beautiful place. I live in Texas, so I guess I can drive to Galveston, but why would I?

Does the salt water do anything to cars down there?

Later, Jeep on.

Al
    I don't have the dual top, just soft top. I would think you could take the soft top out in a couple of hours at most. I would think the whole process would take about a half hour.
    I think taking the hard top off on nice days rather than using the soft top would work better. You just can't put the top up when you are away from your home. For example, if a rain shower blows in you could get caught in it.
    You could also sell your soft top if you decide your not going to use it.
    Hi Al,
    It's pretty cool driving without the doors. After you remove the doors don't forget to remove fuse #4 behind your glove box, otherwise your dome light won't shut off.
    Be careful not to bang into a wall when you walk around with them, they're pretty big and you wouln't want to end up with an additional scratch or dent.
    I don't have a problem with the salt because I live 10 miles from the beach. Beside I wash and wax my Jeep pretty often.

Have fun - Don't forget your seat belt :-)

Dennis
    Someone educate me, please. Why does anyone get the half metal doors instead of the full metal doors? If you are going to go "topless," wouldn't you just take the doors off anyway?

Doesn't it look kind of "dorky" to leave the metal doors on and just take off the top part of the doors when you have the top off?

Just asking.

tsjay
  • sbaker84sbaker84 Member Posts: 2
    I have the hard top with full metal doors. Best decision I made. The full metal doors are great. I was a bit worried about how it would look with the top off and the metal doors on, but it looks fine. With the windows down it feels pretty open. Anyways, I don't think many people take the doors off just to get a topless feel!

Sean.
  • weatherdogweatherdog Member Posts: 4
    After loosing my 1997 Wrangler Sport to my daughter, last month I ordered a new yellow dual top loaded 2001. It will arrive any day. Now I am not so sure. Worried about the dual top - taking off the hard top. Don't know if my garage is tall enough for a hoist. Color? Anybody getting sick of the Solar Yellow?

I even test drove a Ford SportTrak yesterday. I guess I could use some encouraging words that the Wrangler will be practical and will not grow old fast.

Thanks!
    No way can I call a Wrangler "practical." You had a '97 already so you know this. It is not comfortable for long drives. It has precious little cargo room and gets atrocious gas mileage for such a small vehicle. It is noisy. It is the very antithesis of a family car, which is one of the attractive features in my mind.

But it won't look old, since Jeeps have kept the same basic form for 55 years. It just looks like a Jeep, a classic and unique form. I like this, like I like Levi's 501s. It is fun to drive around town and with the top down. The hard top makes it tolerable in the winter. You can take it anywhere. As I drove through the bank drive-thru yesterday, the same bank that has the title until I finish paying it off next year, I thought how happy I have been with the purchase. Plus it's still worth a bundle. Can't beat that.

As for the Sport-Trac, it has the "Explorer" name on it (which screams soccer mom to me), looks dorky (as do all 4-door pickups IMHO), and isn't practical since you can't put a shell over the bed and camp in it (a necessity for any real pickup). Plus I've had bad luck with Fords. Stick with the Jeep.
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    Wow, I just bought a new 2000 Wrangler, SE, Solar Yellow, loaded. Any hints from Yellow jeep owners(or any color) on keeping it looking nice and bright? Alright, thanks!
    New Jeep Owner,
    Alee
    Am I missing something? I am not a Jeep owner (yet), but if I get one, I want the benefit of other people's experience in order to get the best options.

What is the reason that people get the half metal doors? I can't believe it is to save $125 compared to the full metal doors.

With the top on, it looks like you would be better off with the full metal doors. With the top off, I would want the doors off too. I don't think a Jeep would look good with the top off and the lower part of the half metal doors still on.

What am I missing. There must be some reason for the half metal doors- you sure see a lot of them.

tsjay
  • jacorobjacorob Member Posts: 37
    i have the half doors. It wasn't to save money or anything. I just absolutely hate the way a jeep looks with full doors. Top on or off, IMO, looks terrible with full doors (especially w/ top off). I also like the look of half doors with the top off. You don't always half the top all the way off either - you might have a bikini top with the upper doors off, etc.

Half doors offer more security then no doors, give a lot more freedom then full doors, and as i mentioned look a ton better then full doors. Half doors just gives you a lot more options then full doors. If you want glass windows you can always get aftermarket upper halves with sliding glass.

Also, i live in Texas so i didn't get a hardtop, and have no desire to get one, which makes the only reason i would get full doors not a reason.

Of course, as i constantly mentioned, this is my humble opinion.

Bob
  • spike66spike66 Member Posts: 20
    I just recently ordered my 2001 Sport (silverstone w/ black hardtop). Once I get it I really want to swap out the front and rear bumpers. Could anyone recommend some quality aftermkt suppliers? I live in Minnesota so I am curious as to which type of metal is least prone to rusting. Any advise?
  • pleathermanpleatherman Member Posts: 1
    All-

I'm in the market for a used Wrangler. Someone I know is selling a '94 S for a decent price (compared to what I've seen). What's the word on the '94's? Have there been problems with certain years?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks.
  • seasonsseasons Member Posts: 1
    Most people who are happy/satisfied will not bother to post on these boards or forums. It is only the people who have gripes or problems that will be motivated to post. So don't be suprised if the bulk of postings concern difficulty!

Regarding your statement about wind:
    I too found the wind buffeting a problem. I have the hardtop on currently and even with the passenger window rolled down, the wind in my left ear was too forceful and became uncomfortable after a while at 60 MPH. The Quadratec Windguard is larger and much more effective than either Ventvisor or MacNiels offering. I
    bought it at Quadratec (#11063). It really helps.
    Glad to hear your enjoying your new Jeep.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    To all you new guys who now drive Jeeps- Dont forget the JEEP WAVE !!. When you see another Wrangler ,CJ, YJ give that person a wave. I have been driving a Jeep Renegade now for 10 years and it seems that most new TJ owners do not know about the wave . When you drive a jeep you are part of the Jeep family ,so say Hi to each other. keep this tradition alive.
    I think half doors look good with the top down. I don't always take my half doors completely off when the top is down. I like how you can be across town or out of town and be able to put your top up and down and doors on and off if it starts to rain or if it gets cold or something. It has nothing to do with saving money. I just don't care for full doors.
    Hard doors are more convenient when you need to roll your window up and down at fast food place or ATM. I think they also make a big difference with wind noise reduction.
    Seeing a lot of half doors: You probably won't see them as much. Full doors were not sold on soft tops until 97 (I think). Almost all you see at dealers now is full metal doors.

spike66
    stay away from steel horse if you don't like rust.
    Try jcwhitney.com and quadratec.com
  • spoogspoog Member Posts: 1,224
    I think full doors are good for the north half of the country, half door for the southern half.

In my view, I NEVER want plastic windows, ever. I think they are worthless.

I would rather have the top off with the full doors, or no doors at all.

For the summer I am planning on just leaving the full doors on and using a bikini top. For winter, the hard top with REAL windows.

Plus, the full doors are great wind blockers when it gets chilly in the summer.....
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    How does everyone here wave? Over the last few days, I've seen many varieties of the wave. Thanks.
    -Alee
  • chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    I am ordering my 2nd Jeep Wrangler, a 2001 SE w/ A/C, Hard top, Side Steps, Fog Lamps and 23N package. I am leasing it for $2000 down and $270/ month for 38 months. My former Wrangler a '94' Sahara was a GREAT vehicle, but I got rid of it for a Honda Accord, because I was sick of the soft top (I think I was smoking crack at the time!!), but now its time to get what I have been waiting for for 3 years...My Honda Lease is over and I'm Thrilled!!! I have been waiting to get out of the Honda lease for 2 yrs 264 days...Oh, by the way, its Flame Red with a Tan top and interior.
  • jacorobjacorob Member Posts: 37
    well, this newbie knew about the jeep wave way before getting his jeep. However, out of waving at pry 20 jeeps in the last 2 weeks (mostly TJs, some CJs, and one YJ) 1 has waved back - from a built up TJ.

A lot might have to with the fact i'm just driving a stock TJ around though. Waiting for that monthly paycheck in 1 week to get 31" tires. First jeep so gonna take it nice and slow till i know what i need...

Bob
    I think my Jeep was temporarily possessed by the Blair Witch. The other day driving home, none of my gages worked. I was freaking out trying to remember what these posts have said about that before, I was thinking it was a fuse or something.
    When I got home I turned my baby off and decided to turn it back on to see if it had fixed itself, and it had. I still have no idea what it could have been and it has worked fine and dandy since. It could have been because it was Friday the 13th..

Who knows?!

Any clues?? or am I just a dork?
    I have done a bad thing, people. I test drove a 2001 Wrangler Sport after work today.

It was a yellow one with a black soft top and had an automatic transmission. Now that one is not the Jeep that I want, but I hadn't even test driven one until today. I would want a five speed and I want either a white one with a black soft top or a black one with a black soft top.

I was really surprised at how little noise the top was making at 75 mph, after having many people tell me how noisy soft tops are. I know they improved the tops in the 2001's, but I still thought the noise would be much worse than it turned out to be. I was pretty sure I wanted a hard top until I test drove that Jeep today. It had the half metal doors, and it was still not very noisy. I want the full metal doors, and I guess that would make it even more quiet, right?

I don't think they will be able to offer me a deal that I can handle, so my decision might be very easy. I just bought a 2000 Grand Prix GT in March, so I am really big time upside down on trade-in. They appraised my car and are going to locate me a Jeep like I want and call me with an offer tomorrow.

The salesman said that it is easier to handle an upside down trade-in by leasing the new vehicle instead of buying. Well, I guess I'll find out tomorrow about that. I drive about 22,000 to 25,000 miles per year, so there will be a big mileage premium to pay in the lease.

I am afraid this is just one of my "fads" and that I will miss my Grand Prix after the "new" wears off the Jeep. The Jeep will have to be my only vehicle, and I do have to travel occasionally on business. Will I miss the room and comfort of my Grand Prix?

The seats seemed very comfortable in the Jeep I test drove today, and it seemed to handle very well at highway speeds (took it up to 75 mph, and she seemed to hold the road just fine), so maybe a Jeep isn't too bad for long trips, but the lack of cargo room could be a problem.

I NEED ADVICE! Is there anyone in the group who was nervous about going from a car to a Wrangler, and how did it turn out for you? Were you eventually sorry you did it, or did it turn out to be a good decision?

I know it depends on what you want to do with the vehicle, and I must admit that I probably won't be off road very much. I just think that a Wrangler would be a fun vehicle to drive.

Oh, yeah, what can I realistically expect for gas mileage with the 4.0L engine and 5-speed tranny (with the 30" wheels) on a mix of city and highway driving, with most of the miles on the highway?

What do I do?

tsjay
  • weatherdogweatherdog Member Posts: 4
    I had ordered a new Yellow Wrangler Sport dual top late Sept, got cold feet and went looking elsewhere (Ford). Well, I finally figured out it was the color I was unsure of, so I called my dealer and have them preparing a Green Sport with tan soft top for pickup Wed Oct 25. It's loaded, like my special order, but does not have the dual top. I figure, it's Texas and I don't need it anyway, and would probably miss the real pretty days being too lazy to do the top switch.

I wish more people would post photos as I really liked looking at the Jeeps posted here. I just put up a page at http://www.bikeworld.com/jeep.htm that has a picture of my 97' that was hi-jacked by a family member. Ill post my new Wrangler after I pick it up.

Weatherdog