Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Pontiac GTO

Comments

• ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    really?
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I am already a member there.

We can post links to other sites but not to forums and message boards.

Can't blame edmund's, can you?
    They are putting a lot of time and money into this.

Eventually the moderator will get around to deleting posts starting at about #287 and finishing up with this one.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    Excellent prediction :)

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

Click on her highlighted username and email her directly with that question.
    That is the best way to handle Townhall questions.
    It always works for me.
    This discussion is a place to talk about the 04 GTO, not Town Hall policies or host decisions. Please e-mail me directly with questions about the membership agreement, or read it here: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/memberagreement.html

Back to the GTO!

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• obiwanobiwan Posts: 57
    ...anyone hear about this new car GM is releasing under the Pontiac brand? It's called the GTO and it's based on an Australian car, the Holden Monaro.

Looks pretty cool. What do y'all think?
    As promised, a load of off-topic posts have been deleted. Questions and comments on a 3x5 postcard directly to the host. Winner will be selected at random from all entries. Thank you for playing, and back to the GTO.

'68-70 hood scoops. A gille in the lower front fender. and WIDER tires will make it about perfect.

Other than that it looks like a winner.

An engine tuned for torque and a exhaust system to go with it will be it's main selling point.
  • obiwanobiwan Posts: 57
    Who else is tired of "retro cues" in cars? I like to see evolved, 21st century designs. I actually like it without hood scoops. I like the grille too.

But yea, a "modern" design should include wider tires. However, that's easy to change. :)
    There are always heritage cues in any new car.
    That's why a Chevrolet is identifiable as a Chevrolet and a Pontiac as a Pontiac.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,465
    about retro cues. I believe there should be a certain restrained aggressiveness to the new Goat as well as a nod to the past.

I like the emblem they put on the flank that harks back to the original but I'd like to see a subtle pair of NACA ducts on the hood, not protruding '68-'70 scoops. I'd also like to see
    wider tires and more aggressive fender flares and more definition in the grille.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Perhaps the honeycomb mesh could be set back an inch or two inside the grille
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 20,465

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Pontiac was displaying two finished, 2004 Pontiac GTOs at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Royal Oak Michigan, Saturday August 16th.

Both were Phantom Black Metallic, one had a black interior, the other had a red interior. The car had throngs around it, mostly positive comments. In fact, the only people who didn't like it, were rednecks.

The car has quite a presence in person, in fact it's large, Buick Riviera or Grand National large. Nobody will confuse it with the current Grand Am coupe, the only other coupe Pontiac offers.

Overall quality is phenomenal. I ran my hands over the entire car, and pushed on it. The body is all metal, even the front clip and grille. I found no plastic parts or fiberglass. The paintjobs were flawless, and very rich. Phantom Black Metallic is very much like BMW's Cosmos Black.

The interior is is nicely assembled (damn near Honda quality), and the materials are top notch. Switches and buttons all have a nice feeling, with the exception of the climate control dails, they remind me somewhat of a first gen. Taurus, but that doesn't really bother me.

A third Quicksilver GTO was in the cruise itself driven by some GM employee and his family, the exhaust note is wicked, but lacks the hillbilly rapping sounds.

I think everyone interested in the car will be very impressed with it, me included. Here are some pictures I took,

http://www.ot2.cupofnoodles.com/trishield/wdcgto01.jpg

http://www.ot2.cupofnoodles.com/trishield/wdcgto02.jpg

http://www.ot2.cupofnoodles.com/trishield/wdcgto03.jpg
  • Visually the only GTO cues were the side fender badges and the chromed plastic "hood scoops" on the hood itself.

The 2004 is very much the modern interpretation of the original, a very clean, powerful performance coupe.

Both have horizontal stacked headlamps, twin port grilles, clean coupe bodies with chrome tipped exhausts, the 2004 is like the original car only fast forwarded 40 years and with today's Pontiac styling cues.

Like I said, the car looks very nice in appealing, sophisticated in the way that many high dollar foreign cars look. The very antithesis of the old Firechicken inside and out, but retaining the performance.
    Buick Riviera large? that's big. I used to have a Riv. There was a huge amount of room in that car.

Hey they should design another version of Monaro for Buick and call it Wildcat. Or GNX :)
    Thanks for the pics.
    Looks even better up close.
    Got any more?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    thank God the new GTO was not blessed with traditional Detroit/GM/Pontiac trailer park/boys in study hall doodling looks.
  • ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
    Thanx for the GTO picts. I wonder what that red convertible was sitting next to it? Can you help?
  • Is the Chevrolet Bel Aire concept car, it's pretty cool, very retro, uses the Vortec inline six, totally shames the SSR.

I have more GTO pics I'll upload and share soon, stay tuned.
  • ramped1ramped1 Posts: 159
  • nas43nas43 Posts: 13
    When I first looked at the picture, I thought it was a T-bird. Chevy better not duplicate Ford's mistake and price it out of the market.
    I was thinking that after the Woodward Cruise there would be pics of the GTO flooding the internet.
    Kind of surprised that there haven't been more.

The car does have a nice stance to it and good presence.

I will probably be buying one in about 18 months.

Had an opportunity to buy a '70 GTO Judge in '83 for $2000 and bought a '83 Z28 instead.

Nobody said I was a rocket scientist.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    the GTO hauls butt, the tbird does not.
  • diablo4diablo4 Posts: 40
    Trishield i thought the bel aire had a inline five with 315HP turbo.
  • Anyone have a clue how many have been ordered so far????
    what plastic crap?
    I have never heard anyone say that the G35 interior was great. Not even the people who own them. It is decent, but not great.
    LS1 motors get great gas mileage on the highway.
    Better than a G35 more than likely.
    The GTO is a bigger car than than the G35. With a bigger interior.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the G35. It is one of the best looking cars on the road.
    But when you come into a thread and throw a bunch of criticims around, you need to back them up with some facts or specs.
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    b4z - you are probably right. The much heavier and more powerful and quicker GTO may get better mileage than a G35. Those engines achieve incredible economy as well as performance. The G35 economy is a joke. It's too Altima looking for me anyway (4 door at least).

Anyway, two very different cars anyway.

Snakerbill - at least it's a true dual exhaust, or I guess you'd be happier with the single exhaust, Y pipe split in the back for "dual" outlets. Not that it's bad, but hey - the GTO's got the real thing.
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    snakerbill... If you love automatic transmissions, too bad the GTO skimps on a 4-speed design. Infiniti G35, Lexus IS300, Lincoln LS6/8, Cadillac CTS, Acura 3.2TL Type S, etc. all use 5-speed automatics. Additional gear and the ability to space the gears better can boost acceleration and fuel economy.

The 6-speed manual really will be the only way to go for maximum GTO performance. Will be interesting to see if any car magazine even publishes a test of a 4-speed automatic GTO.
This discussion has been closed.